Print Page | Close Window

whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48031
Printed Date: May 27 2024 at 15:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?
Posted By: TR!P
Subject: whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:15
so, out'a all the prog bands out there, past to present, which single track do you think is perfect in every way?

now, i dont mean perfect in the technical sence, i dont mean just because a song ticks all the boxes as in it has a good intro, middle, end, solo, chours, etc.

i just mean, in your own personal opinion, which track do you feel is just flawless/perfect/immaculate, and why?

personly, i think "goodbye blue sky" by Floyd, from 'The Wall' has to be my pick, its just perfect to me, not too long, not toooo short, sounds absolutly beautiful, and is just a pleasure to listen to, great vocal arangements, nice sweet guitar, i cant find anything wrong with it

so whats yours?

-------------
join communism

Replies:
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:20
Les Porches De Notre Dame - Maneige

Utterly great song, merging classical, jazz and rock elements flawlessly, building up carefully to an incredibly dense polyphonic conclusion.

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:22
i like how this poll was made by me
I dont know about 'perfect song but close to the edge comes pretty close . . . lol

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by TR!P TR!P wrote:

so, out'a all the prog bands out there, past to present, which single track do you think is perfect in every way?

now, i dont mean perfect in the technical sence, i dont mean just because a song ticks all the boxes as in it has a good intro, middle, end, solo, chours, etc.

i just mean, in your own personal opinion, which track do you feel is just flawless/perfect/immaculate, and why?

personly, i think "goodbye blue sky" by Floyd, from 'The Wall' has to be my pick, its just perfect to me, not too long, not toooo short, sounds absolutly beautiful, and is just a pleasure to listen to, great vocal arangements, nice sweet guitar, i cant find anything wrong with it

so whats yours?

Whoa- I wasnt necissarily thinking of that song, but Floyd was the first band that popped in my head. When I think of the track you selected- yes, it does seem perfect.

There is another song that comes to mind, it's a Perfect Circle song from their first album- song number 5 or 6? The slower one....

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:28
nothing beats Henry Cow's "Beautiful as the Moon / Terrible as an Army with Banners" in terms of progression, well-judged improv-to-structure ratio, ability to haunt and overall life-enhancing correctness in music. Nothing, not even bloody Magma. o:)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: Squonkman
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:29
Awaken by Yes and Suppers Ready by Genesis would have to be in the discussion, but I will have to think about it longer before I commit.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:35
Reckoner by Radiohead is the most perfect song of all time. It has the greatest combination of other-worldly atmosphere and intense melody.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:36
Thick as a Brick pt 1 surely!!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:37
Sorry for a boring and cliched answer, but there's a reason that Close to the Edge is a prog treasure - the title track comes as close to perfection as anything I've heard.

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Sorry for a boring and cliched answer, but there's a reason that Close to the Edge is a prog treasure - the title track comes as close to perfection as anything I've heard.

Even the 1st three minutes?DeadWink

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:44
Just expanding on my previous answer, by adding a few others that I love too much and would consider for this, depending on mood. Within them, any order really depends on mood, though I prefer Les Porches to the rest. I'll expand when I've got the brain power.

The Necromancer - Rush
The Fountain of Salmacis - Genesis
Tua Casa Commoda - Il Balletto Di Bronzo
South Side Of The Sky - Yes
Ladies Of The Road + Exiles - King Crimson
Take A Pebble - ELP

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:47
Oh also Lunar Sea from Camel definitely...

Have in mind that these are not my faves, but these come to my mind as perfect.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Especially the first three minutes.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:17
"In My Life" by The Beatles.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:20

'Depuis l'Automne' by Harmonium, 'In The Western World' by Spirogyra, and 'Svefn-G-Englar' by Sigur Rós. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:25
Most perfect song?

Surely you must mean Chris Squire's Silently Falling! Most perfect song ever written (in my opinion). There's
something about the way it's composed and/or played that always sends shivers down my spine. That opening
bass line coupled with Squire's voice is just marvelous.

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:31
First one that comes to mind: Xanadu - Rush
Next one that pops up: Gates of Delirium - Yes
And another: Starless - KC

Many more out there, but they were the first three. And that must mean something Wink

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:33
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Most perfect song?Surely you must mean Chris Squire's Silently Falling! Most perfect song ever written (in my opinion). There's something about the way it's composed and/or played that always sends shivers down my spine. That opening bass line coupled with Squire's voice is just marvelous.

Ha marvellous my rush friend!!

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:49
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Just expanding on my previous answer, by adding a few others that I love too much and would consider for this, depending on mood. Within them, any order really depends on mood, though I prefer Les Porches to the rest. I'll expand when I've got the brain power.

The Necromancer - Rush
Take A Pebble - ELP

OK. Trying this, although it's a bad idea.

The common factor of most of these is a sense of melancholy, and substantial quieter sections and lots of atmospheric instrumentation. Take A Pebble has an explosive piano part that cannot be matched. The Necromancer is a full exploration of three emotions, as well as having some very interesting guitar and percussion, cheesy LOTR lyrics and all. South Side has a huge emotional resonance with me, since I've really *felt* like that once. Exiles has a lot of space, and the musicians fill it perfectly without crowding. Very delicate, very atmospheric, and very emotional. Fountain has such incredibly amazing keyboards, and really does evoke its lyrics for me.

Tua Casa Commoda and Ladies Of The Road are the two exceptions, really, in that one is a plainer rock song, which manages to be clever, have plenty of musicianship and yet be catchy as hell, and the other is Ladies of the Road.

I don't know what I love so much about Ladies of the Road, except that it seems a flawless composition, coupled with some improvisational playing, perfect harmonies which don't quite seem generic after so many listens, as well as those rollicking, sarcastic lyrics, chauvinistic though they are.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 19:51
^^ Now that's brave! Clap If I'd try something similar it would end in a flood of edits...

-------------

Posted By: _JC_
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 01:10
For me, there has only been one truly perfect song:     Godspeed You! Black Emperor---Blaise Bailey Finnegan III

.....come to think of it, I might even call Invincible, by Pallas a perfect song.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 01:16
Originally posted by _JC_ _JC_ wrote:

For me, there has only been one truly perfect song:     Godspeed You! Black Emperor---Blaise Bailey Finnegan III

.....come to think of it, I might even call Invincible, by Pallas a perfect song.

Clap

Although I think things can always be made better (nothing's perfect), here's a few:

Kalus Schulze - Velvet Voyage, basically all of X
Tangerine Dream - White Eagle, basically anything from the Virgin years
Pallas - Fragments of the Sun, Spirits

Tons more, no point in listing them really.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 01:23
Originally posted by _JC_ _JC_ wrote:

This has always been an underrated, or maybe just unnoticed GY!BE album. this song is one of my favorites and ironically the happiest song this depressive band has made. go figure.
 I was going to bring this song up along with Providence by the same which has the most glorious crescendo Ive heard.
Also maybe Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Posted By: TR!P
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 04:16
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

Also maybe Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd?

yea actually, thats another one to defo consider.... come to think of it, so is Breathe, any colour you want and us and them Wink

-------------
join communism

Posted By: Squonkman
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 04:56

The Necromancer - Rush
Take A Pebble - ELP

Fountain of Salmacis??? I mean I love Genesis, but a "perfect" song? Hardly. I mean, I think its a great tune, but lets be honest, it has awkward lyrics with uncomfortable out of time phrasing for one thing. "he saw a shimmering.....(waiting for the beat to catch up)....lake"(hanging out there) always kills me, especially on that Belgian video. Gabriel's wordiness is still a problem at that point, so for me that is an example of a maturing Genesis that is not quite there yet.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 07:25
Hey, I love Fountain, don't make me have to kick your ass...Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 08:59
A perfect song? Hard to choose. But "Sve ce to mila moja prekriti ruzmarin, snjegovi i sas" by Bijelo Dugme is an example of perfect song like "Roundabout" by Yes or "Traveller" or "L'Isola Di Niente" or "Celebration" by PFM... And If I had to choose there would be many more songs to be included in this list... Songs from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Focus, Ekseption, Le Orme, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Symphony X, Pavlov's Dog, Cynic...!

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 13:19
Sleep, Dixie Dregs, no wait, that one's too short.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

The Necromancer - Rush
Take A Pebble - ELP

Fountain of Salmacis??? I mean I love Genesis, but a "perfect" song? Hardly. I mean, I think its a great tune, but lets be honest, it has awkward lyrics with uncomfortable out of time phrasing for one thing. "he saw a shimmering.....(waiting for the beat to catch up)....lake"(hanging out there) always kills me, especially on that Belgian video. Gabriel's wordiness is still a problem at that point, so for me that is an example of a maturing Genesis that is not quite there yet.

On one level, I agree with you, but I think that's part of the reason I love it so much (my Genesis preference changes monthly, though, so...). I like the lyrics' atmosphere (not to mention that they satisfy my childhood obsession with Greek mythology), even if they aren't as smooth as later Genesis songs, and the vocal/musical realisation of them only intensifies that atmosphere. The way they're phrased really works for me. One of those things that I can understand being a problem for some people, but that doesn't affect me at all.

Posted By: Negru Voda
Date Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:55
Magma - Rïah Sahïltaahk

22 minutes of perfectness (notaword).

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: April 23 2008 at 18:11

Queen - My Fairy King

that has about all I want in music, nice changes of pace, great vocals, nice rhythm, great guitars, fabulous bass and how about that sound, just awsome. and all condensed in just 4 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCL0QIGUeA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCL0QIGUeA

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: MusicalSalmacis
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:23

Les Porches De Notre Dame - Maneige

Utterly great song, merging classical, jazz and rock elements flawlessly, building up carefully to an incredibly dense polyphonic conclusion.

What a great pick, to me Les Porches is the forgotten prog epic, and I agree about every word you said! I'm not sure if it is my all-time favorite song, there is alot of competition...

If I could count all of Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh (it is essentially one piece, after all) then I would pick it. Otherwise, if I have to pick a certain track, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers does the trick for me.

Posted By: Weston
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 21:55
I would have to agree that Awaken is the perfect song (above).  It has got to be just about the most climactic piece ever written.  You think it reaches a climax, but then it moves on to an even greater one, and an even greater one after that, finally culminating in Howe's seagull slide guitar effects up in the stratosphere somewhere.

If I were a smoker, I'd have to have a cigarette after that.

I've never heard a more perfect piece unless you count Beethoven's 9th, but even then I put them in the same league.

Here are others that approach perfection for me (and looking over the list I seem to favor climactic pieces):
Jethro Tull: A Passion Play (especially the last quarter or so, the "Hail! Son of kings" section)
Renaissance: Scheherezade (that last note - oh my God!)
Gentle Giant: Aspirations (pure beauty)
Genesis: Supper's Ready (another multiple climax)
It's a Beautiful Day: White Bird (not prog maybe, but a near perfect song)

I'd better quit there.  I could fill up pages -- as could all of you.

-------------
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, creativity is the sincerest form of worship.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:24
I actually would put two pieces together as one
Autumn by the Strawbs and Epitath by KC . They are my anthems , shivering me every single time for the past 35 years or so.......Cool
Beauty Queen by Roxy Music is not far behind.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 02:20
Prog tends to seek perfection and there are a large number of prog songs that i could not see a way of improving. I am finding this impossible to answer. 

Big Country never tried to be a prog band and so there is a special virtue in the fact that they did achieve perfection in one song.  It is so good that they could be given honourary prog status for this one effort. That song is Porroh Man. It has one of the best introductions of any rock song, superb vocals, incredible drumming, a marvellously complex construction in the best prog tradition and it even manages to introduce a hint of Scottish folk.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 07:48
Ontario Plates, by Do Make Say Think.

Posted By: Weston
Date Posted: April 28 2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Big Country never tried to be a prog band and so there is a special virtue in the fact that they did achieve perfection in one song.  It is so good that they could be given honourary prog status for this one effort. That song is Porroh Man. It has one of the best introductions of any rock song, superb vocals, incredible drumming, a marvellously complex construction in the best prog tradition and it even manages to introduce a hint of Scottish folk.

A great and sorely missed band.  Their mastery of that weird ebow effect and their fantastic song writing led me to categorize them as "progternative."  I'll have to go back and listen to Porroh Man.

-------------
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, creativity is the sincerest form of worship.

Posted By: Lilley
Date Posted: April 29 2008 at 00:52
Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Lucky, the National Anthem, How To Disappear Completely, Pyramid Song, There There. All absolutely perfect songs by the best band ever: Radiohead.

Other than them, hmmm
 How about Bliss, Citizen Erased and Map of the Problematique by Muse.
 Time, Money and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

-------------
Thom Yorke is God, and Jonny Greenwood is Jesus

Posted By: Prof.
Date Posted: April 29 2008 at 01:36

For most perfect prog song I would go with Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinox Pt 4, its not too long, its upbeat and never disapoints.

But as far as non-prog I would have to give it to either Thorn Tree In The Garden by Derek And The Dominos or Can't Find My Way Home by Blind Faith. Both give me goosebumps.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 29 2008 at 01:53

The Musical Box (Nursery Cryme):

1.   Perfect Structure: Starts soft,. goes in crescendo, every section is connected perfectly with the next one and the finale is superb, ends right in the climax.
2.   Powerful Lyrics: People complained about Prog being Dungeons and Dragosn or airytales, this song lyrics are pure violence, and terror.
3.   Emotional performance: There may better voices in Prog, but the emotion that Peter Gabriel transmits is magnificent. Tony is amazing and Steve adds the perfect touch with some very aggressive guitar sections combined with softer ones, Phil and Steve are also great.

In other words, the perfect song.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:56
Pilgrims - Van Der Graaf Generator of "Still Life"

A number of reasons really:
- It's not self-indulgent but you can tell they are good musicians
- Some really nice organ playing by Mr Banton, if you are a keys player, you will appreciate it for sure!
- Amazingly schizophrenic yet tuneful vocals that portray one of the best melodic lines i've ever heard
- Really quite deep lyrics, I welled up the first time i heard them because i felt the lyrics describe me in a way "unknown in our purpose; alone but not worthless at home"
- Great arrangement over two themes: theme 1 x2, theme 2, theme 1, theme 2, instrumental along melody lines of theme 2, where David Jackson and Guy Evans deserve a mention
- It feels like an epic but is a mere 7 minutes, so you don't get bored but still experience the epicness of it

I think that is all that can be said, and the song is quite simply perfect, no question. There's nothing wrong with it for me.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: MusicalSalmacis
Date Posted: May 01 2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The Musical Box (Nursery Cryme):

1.   Perfect Structure: Starts soft,. goes in crescendo, every section is connected perfectly with the next one and the finale is superb, ends right in the climax.
2.   Powerful Lyrics: People complained about Prog being Dungeons and Dragosn or airytales, this song lyrics are pure violence, and terror.
3.   Emotional performance: There may better voices in Prog, but the emotion that Peter Gabriel transmits is magnificent. Tony is amazing and Steve adds the perfect touch with some very aggressive guitar sections combined with softer ones, Phil and Steve are also great.

In other words, the perfect song.

Iván

Musical Box is definitely up there for me as well. Heck, that's the song that turned me into prog in the first place.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 03:26
Monster Magnet's Cyclops Revolution. The sound effects switching between left and right speaker, the use of dynamics, the "desert punk" atmosphere, all the strength and power with which Dave Wyndorf proclaims "I'm alive, not you!"... it's the single best rock song of the early 1990s. Period.

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 09:41
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Those are the best three, it goes downhill from there.

IMO, nothing with the words, "I get up, I get down" can ever be perfect.

Still a great song.

As far as the most perfect song...

After the Flood by the Talk Talk.

Just sublime.

Posted By: Grimfurg
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:20
Kohntarkosz - Magma (part 2 to be a little bit more precise). There's something that just really gets me with this song. It's insane.

And, Heart Of The Sunrise - Yes.

There's surely more.

-------------
http://regulab.bandcamp.com/album/vol-i/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:24
Originally posted by Grimfurg Grimfurg wrote:

Kohntarkosz - Magma (part 2 to be a little bit more precise). There's something that just really gets me with this song. It's insane.

There's surely more.

You are a winner.

Posted By: Real Paradox
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 14:21
Well, in terms of trying to , describe a song by using its recording abilities is a bit harsh... But I guess if I would have to choose a song it would Porcupine Tree's "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here", because that song from my extensive musical collection as a lot of recording/producing techniques that would make you feel mellow and astonishingly goosebumpy at the same time ( at least it happens with me all the time hehe Big%20smile). I would certainly choose any particular song to express my congratulations to they're wonderfull and quite detailed studio work.
  Other eventual Heavy Prog bands could be thrown into this category, for exemple the artistically complicated Mars Volta (band I love a lot when it comes too full-edged live performances), because of their awkward technique of making challanging art, and then recording it very simply. I could give more accurate Univers Zero's or Henry Cow's Avant-Garde/RIO revolutionary studio albums( although I prefer not to speak so loudly about avant-garde bands when it comes to describing awsome recording techniques, because they make awsome live performances but the studio albums have quite the same audible quality, except for Magma I presume heheTongue). Well I guess that's about it.

-------------
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...

Posted By: burtonrulez
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 14:44
I would say... 'The Bewlay Brothers' by David Bowie, a lost gem in his vast catalogue that comes pretty close to prog, and has a brilliant melody, lyrics and unexpected ending. Also it is chilling to the bone even more so than anything on 'The Man Who Sold the World'.

If I had to choose something more strictly prog it would either be 'Close to the Edge' an obviously brilliant piece of music, or 'A Farewell to Kings' which I now have an urge to listen to <runs up stairs to fetch CD>

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 16:34
"I" by Meshuggah is pretty much the masterpiece among masterpieces, at least in metal

and... hate to be obvious... but "Close to the edge"Embarrassed

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Grimfurg
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 06:52
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by Grimfurg Grimfurg wrote:

There's surely more.

You are a winner.

I know right?
I mean, the intro is amazing, the rhodes piano riff is awesome. And the way that riff builds up is sick. Then when the group vocals come it's just insane. And let's not talk about the guitar solo, it's ending is immense. My favorite part though is when Vander goes crazy and starts his monologue.
I dare someone to find a song that has as much fearsome power as this one.

I should also add (these are amazing, but behind Kohntarkosz):
King Crimson - Starless
Genesis - Los Endos; The Musical Box
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Meeting Of The Spirits
Soft Machine - Slightly All The Time...

-------------
http://regulab.bandcamp.com/album/vol-i/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 17:53
Perfect songs? Well, I'm not going to try to explain them, but these songs just really "do it" for me.

Pain of Salvation- People Passing By, In the Flesh, Idioglossia, Beyond the Pale, Iter Impius
Dream Theater- Metropolis Part 1, Learning to Live, Voices
Kayo Dot- The Manifold Curiosity, Aurora on an Asylumn Wall
maudlin of the Well- Heaven and Week, The Ferryman, Girl with a Watering Can, Gleam in Ranks, Birth Pains of Astral Projection
Dark Suns- Flies in Amber, 29
Genesis- The Musical Box, Get 'Em Out by Friday, Supper's Ready, Firht of Fifth
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, Dogs, Intersteller Overdrive
The Mars Volta- Cassandra Gemini
Opeth- When, April Etheral, Moonlaps Vertigo, Face of Melinda, Bleak, The Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park
Transatlantic- All of the Above
Marillion- Script for a Jesters Tear, Fugazi, The Last Straw, Easter, The Invisable Man
Le Orme- Sopesi Nell 'Incredible
Van der Graaf Generator- White Hammer, The Emporer in his War Room, Man Erg, La Rossa, Arrow
Grayceon- Sounds Like Thunder
White Willow- Cryptomenysis, The Reach, Anemnasis, Chemical Sunset, Soulburn, Ghost

I've probably got a few others, but everyone of these songs is perfect to me.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 20:26

I would nominate The Trees version of She Walked Through the Fair as the perfect Traditional Folk Rock song.  Celia Humphris'  vocal is sublime with a stunning instrumental mid-section. 

There have been heaps of other versions of this song, of course, including Simple Minds using the tune for Belfast Child.

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: May 06 2008 at 20:37
Ok, I'll admit, I didn't see Big Country coming.  I'll have to seek that song out now.

With that being said, I thought of two songs that are close to perfection, for me. 

Dark Star by Fish.  Amazing song, lyrics are strong, the structure is sound, the instrumentals are awe inspiring and the complete product is about as good as it gets.

Promised Land by Queensryche is another fantastic sounding song.  The vocals and music, again wonderful and the most striking bit about the song is the space in it.  It's not cluttered, every noise, note, word and pause can be heard with almost perfect alacrity.

Posted By: Astrodomine
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:39
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

nothing beats Henry Cow's "Beautiful as the Moon / Terrible as an Army with Banners" in terms of progression, well-judged improv-to-structure ratio, ability to haunt and overall life-enhancing correctness in music. Nothing, not even bloody Magma. o:)

I agree! This song is perfect in all senses!

Also:
Inca Roads - Frank Zappa
Histoire Sans Parole - Harmonium

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:51
It must be Mother Sky by Can. Perfect trip. Almost makes me wish I was a dopesmoker. 

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:12
It's not prog, and it's swedish. As far as prog goes, though, "Sea Song" from Rock Bottom is a pretty perfect song in terms of balance between melody, atmosphere, emotion, and experimentation.

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

It's not prog, and it's swedish. As far as prog goes, though, "Sea Song" from Rock Bottom is a pretty perfect song in terms of balance between melody, atmosphere, emotion, and experimentation.

Kent, I suppose Smile

-------------

Posted By: proggrl
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:11
For me eas - Shades by echolyn - just beacuse it encompasses everything I love about music in the most perfect way.  :)

-------------
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Pilgrims - Van Der Graaf Generator of "Still Life"

A number of reasons really:
- It's not self-indulgent but you can tell they are good musicians
- Some really nice organ playing by Mr Banton, if you are a keys player, you will appreciate it for sure!
- Amazingly schizophrenic yet tuneful vocals that portray one of the best melodic lines i've ever heard
- Really quite deep lyrics, I welled up the first time i heard them because i felt the lyrics describe me in a way "unknown in our purpose; alone but not worthless at home"
- Great arrangement over two themes: theme 1 x2, theme 2, theme 1, theme 2, instrumental along melody lines of theme 2, where David Jackson and Guy Evans deserve a mention
- It feels like an epic but is a mere 7 minutes, so you don't get bored but still experience the epicness of it

I think that is all that can be said, and the song is quite simply perfect, no question. There's nothing wrong with it for me.

That´s so f**king true!!! Probably "House with no door" may do it as well.Tarkus is another one
You haven´t named "Peaches en regalia" thats a crime

Confortably Numb in PULSE , Ephitaph and "IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON" specially , "I talk to the wind is a perfect ballad.I almost forget about "Song of the gulls"

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:16
I can surely say Even In the Quitest Moments by Supertramp.
Not the best of the band but close. The voices are incredible, and the structure of the song is very well done as Can Utility and the Coastliners, not the same magnitude of course but still...life? hehe

Posted By: Drumolator
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:36
To me it is "Song for America" by Kansas.  Honorable mention also goes to "Rhayander" by Camel.  Peace.

-------------
Mark Wellman
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: May 08 2008 at 03:10
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I can surely say Even In the Quitest Moments by Supertramp.
Not the best of the band but close. The voices are incredible, and the structure of the song is very well done as Can Utility and the Coastliners, not the same magnitude of course but still...life? hehe

In The Quietest Moments is such a beautiful song. My first and one of my favorite Tramp albums.

Actually, there's only a few Tramp albums I can't get into... "Crisis?" being one of them Embarrassed

Anyways, yes, great song, very peaceful and melodic. Me likee

Posted By: Relayer09
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:48
And You And I by Yes is my personal choice for a perfect song.

1. The guitar intro quietly shouts to the listener " shut up and listen! " It's just a perfect opening piece.
2. The song slowly builds to a majestic climax at the middle of the song and then does it all over again for the second part of the song. Good stuff!
3. there is a perfect balance between all five members putting their stamp on the song. Good bass lines, nice keyboard solo and keyboard atmosphere, Bill Bruford's drumming is spotless and unique, Jon Anderson's singing is a perfect example of the voice as an instrument. Anderson,Squire & Howe also have very good harmony on this track. The lyrics are also a perfect example of painting pictures with words. If anyone steals the show on this track it's Steve Howe. from the guitar Intro to his innovative use of the pedal steel guitar, he is just amazing.
4. It's just a solid song with high energy in parts and quiet moments in others. Innovative and virtuoso playing. A flawless composition.

-------------
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb

Posted By: bang!
Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 21:30
" instant pussy" from the first matching mole record

-------------
glen- "funny world..."
h.i. "damn funny."
glen- "somebody oughtta sell tickets..."
h.i. "i'd buy one..."

Posted By: KrakAtack
Date Posted: May 18 2008 at 03:58
Originally posted by Drumolator Drumolator wrote:

To me it is "Song for America" by Kansas.  Honorable mention also goes to "Rhayander" by Camel.  Peace.

Date Posted: May 18 2008 at 03:59
Originally posted by Drumolator Drumolator wrote:

Great choices............I must add No Trains To Heaven by Be Bop Deluxe

Date Posted: May 18 2008 at 04:06
Originally posted by Mandrakeroot Mandrakeroot wrote:

A perfect song? Hard to choose. But "Sve ce to mila moja prekriti ruzmarin, snjegovi i sas" by Bijelo Dugme is an example of perfect song like "Roundabout" by Yes or "Traveller" or "L'Isola Di Niente" or "Celebration" by PFM... And If I had to choose there would be many more songs to be included in this list... Songs from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Focus, Ekseption, Le Orme, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Symphony X, Pavlov's Dog, Cynic...!

I'm with you..............all of those groups and many more have songs that fit the bill...............Pavlov's Dog...........I actually have an album of theirs..........Focus,  Le Orme, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Yes, PFM, etc...have them all................all great...all different.....and I'm willing to bet that my favorite songs by these groups are probably not what most people think is their best.......In fact, for example......Focus....well before they were Focus, they were Brainbox.....they had a song called Dark Rose...........blows anything Focus did out of the water....................

Date Posted: May 18 2008 at 04:09
OK so I didn't answer the question.............I'll go with In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly----------------at 1000+ watts per channel,  it sounds like a herd of elephants charging through the living room....................

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: May 21 2008 at 18:03
ELP - Trilogy
or
DT - In the Name of God

There isn't a single flaw in either of those songs.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk