Print Page | Close Window

Magma

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48097
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Magma
Posted By: alanerc
Subject: Magma
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:11
So, I listened to Magma
And you all call'em geniuses?

they suck

Replies:
Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:13
worst possible post

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by alanerc alanerc wrote:

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

It is difficult to like Magma at first hearing. You should give them some time. Which album did you hear?

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:19
I don't call them all geniuses.
Just Vander.
And Top. And Paganotti. And Blasquiz. And any one who contributed to the language or any composition on any album.

I am a Magma fanboy. They are more than geniuses, they are spiritual gurus, they are prophets, they are a rare breed of visionaries.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:22
They're not for everyone. If you hated it at first listen to the point where you needed to make a thread about how much they suck, drop them and listen to something closer to your tastes.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:56
^Right, not for everyone, but they clearly do not suck.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

worst possible post

Naw, it iss a hündïn post.  The enlightened ones, those who follow the path of Kreuhn Kohrmann, are amused. ;)  Too bad for him that he shall be left behind when we leave for Kobaïa unless he perpetually recites this mantra from now on... "Kobaïa iss de Hündïn, Zeuhl iss de hündïn, Magma iss de hündïn. Hortz fur dëhn stekëhn west. Amen"

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

I don't call them all geniuses.
Just Vander.
And Top. And Paganotti. And Blasquiz. And any one who contributed to the language or any composition on any album.

I am a Magma fanboy. They are more than geniuses, they are spiritual gurus, they are prophets, they are a rare breed of visionaries.

Let us pray for the unbeliever's salvation.

Seriously, I really dig Magma, but of course it's not going to be for all tastes.  Viva la difference.  Are there any Zeuhl bands that you do like?

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 18:19
I made a very witty insult about alanerc, but I guess I shouldn't post it. 

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 18:29
If one can't stand the heat, stay out of the Magma.  The cool thing about Magma followers is that they rarely get hotheaded when discussing the group with those that feel burned by Magma.

-------------

Posted By: Squonkman
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 18:46
I have seen Magma twice live, have a DVD and a few albums. So I have given them a very good listen and a chance to impress me. Vastly overrated imo. They do nothing for me. Seeing them live is interesting, but ultimately neither time I saw them spurred me to run out and listen to their albums. Its really closer to avant garde classical music than progressive rock. While other people around me were in musical nirvana, there was also a lot of people who headed for the exits. I think that's rude, so I stayed throughout both times, but they are definitely a style that you either like or could simply do without and not miss it. The odd thing is, I am into all kinds of classical music, and symphonic prog, but the Kobaian chanting just loses me. I need to be emotionally invested in the music and/or lyrics, and the chants do nothing for me emotionally.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

I have seen Magma twice live, have a DVD and a few albums. So I have given them a very good listen and a chance to impress me. Vastly overrated imo. They do nothing for me. Seeing them live is interesting, but ultimately neither time I saw them spurred me to run out and listen to their albums. Its really closer to avant garde classical music than progressive rock. While other people around me were in musical nirvana, there was also a lot of people who headed for the exits. I think that's rude, so I stayed throughout both times, but they are definitely a style that you either like or could simply do without and not miss it. The odd thing is, I am into all kinds of classical music, and symphonic prog, but the Kobaian chanting just loses me. I need to be emotionally invested in the music and/or lyrics, and the chants do nothing for me emotionally.

They don't claim to be progressive rock. In fact, they deny it.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:02

But they are listed here as a progressive rock band. For people who are perusing this site, and come upon Magma, they might have a certain preconception of what they might sound like. If they understand going in, this is closer to avant garde classical, with jazz and opera influences, they might not be as disappointed when they hear it.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:04
Magma sound totally like prog, but just better.

-------------

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:07
It's easy to unserstand people being not impessed by Magma, simple solution, is to don't listen to them.

for me they are the best, so listen if you want to else try them and if not impressed abandom them,

so what's really the problem?

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:09
Not progressive rock? Magma has to be rock of some kind, doesn't it?

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:10
I think their music is at best really freakin' good. But I find that a lot of the time it's weird for the sake of being weird, squirmy, cult-ish (but not in a fun way like Gong), and a way for a lot of proggers to name drop them and appear more 'enlightened" than normal folk.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:14
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I think their music is at best really freakin' good. But I find that a lot of the time it's weird for the sake of being weird, squirmy, cult-ish (but not in a fun way like Gong), and a way for a lot of proggers to name drop them and appear more 'enlightened" than normal folk.

I agree, there is definitely a cult aspect to it, and a kind of "we understand and you never will get it" thing going on with the rabid collectors, a we're cool because we like Magma thing......

btw, having said that, there is no doubt that creating and performing that type of music with a wholly created language takes talent, creativity and dedication, but it still needs to sound pleasing in the end for me to keep listening, no matter how complex and difficult it was to create it......

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:16
Yes, yes, it's ok to resent Magma fans; they're proven to have a greater scope for understanding.

*giggles

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:16
So stony Magma is a name drop band?

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Well, for newbies into prog, I certainly think it is, insofar as that goes in the realm of prog. Mags like Classic Rock often toss in "MDK" into a compilation list and say "this stuff is way crazy, man. It's the quintessential token weird prog album.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Well, for newbies into prog, I certainly think it is, insofar as that goes in the realm of prog. Mags like Classic Rock often toss in "MDK" into a compilation list and say "this stuff is way crazy, man. It's the quintessential token weird prog album.

who cares about n00bs, or the unexperienced.

the only way to get people interested is by immidiat exposure, not by building up, fr that only causes boredom, I was builded up to Magma, and I was geting bored until I heard Magma, so why should one build up towards the final when the final is all we want to hear.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:41

I experienced them live twice, and I got bored during both concerts. So much so that I found I was fighting to concentrate, and when you do that, its really not enjoyable.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:46

But they are listed here as a progressive rock band. For people who are perusing this site, and come upon Magma, they might have a certain preconception of what they might sound like. If they understand going in, this is closer to avant garde classical, with jazz and opera influences, they might not be as disappointed when they hear it.

We also list John Zorn, Protest the Hero, and Death as progressive rock. How pure avant-garde music, punk, and death metal are related to a short-lived bombastic keyboard music of the early 70s is beyond me, but if they are, then surely the Zeuhl movement must be as well. The only pure prog is in the Symphonic and the Eclectic subgenres. I think most people either realize this, or think that prog rock encompasses anything 'good', therefore they should be open to prog being anything from bombastic keyboard music to Neo-pre-post-avant-triple B flat-noise-core.

Sorry for the laplacism.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:54

We also list John Zorn, Protest the Hero, and Death as progressive rock. How pure avant-garde music, punk, and death metal are related to a short-lived bombastic keyboard music of the early 70s is beyond me, but if they are, then surely the Zeuhl movement must be as well. The only pure prog is in the Symphonic and the Eclectic subgenres. I think most people either realize this, or think that prog rock encompasses anything 'good', therefore they should be open to prog being anything from bombastic keyboard music to Neo-pre-post-avant-triple B flat-noise-core.

Sorry for the laplacism.

I'm not arguing that Magma is not progressive rock. It certainly is. You're the one that said Magma themselves rejects the designation. I was simply saying that in sound, to the unitiated, it sounds more like avante garde modern classical than what is traditionally thought of as classic progressive rock. That's all. So this original poster of this thread probably hears it being raved about and recommended and described as genius, probably doesn't read up enough on what he's getting into, and then when he hears it, he's disappointed....

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:01

Sorry for the laplacism.

I'm not arguing that Magma is not progressive rock. It certainly is. You're the one that said Magma themselves rejects the designation. I was simply saying that in sound, to the unitiated, it sounds more like avante garde modern classical than what is traditionally thought of as classic progressive rock. That's all. So this original poster of this thread probably hears it being raved about and recommended and described as genius, probably doesn't read up enough on what he's getting into, and then when he hears it, he's disappointed....

Yes and I'm simply saying that Magma is not the only band on the archives who sound more like [genre] than classic progressive rock, and who also has raving fans and reviews.

(I would just like to point out that I don't particularly think Magma is a progressive rock band...only by PA's standard for what is considered prog.)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:04

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

I'm fairly sure Magma don't like you either. LOL

Is it not within the realm of possibility that due to the diverse range of music on this site that they simply just don't appeal to you?  I've sampled a little and they haven't scored with me, but so what?

If you're going to try and start an interesting conversation in the forums you could at least explain yourself.  Let's see, I've rescanned the posts and did you even bother to respond to one, hell no.

So, if you are even paying attention, who are your geniuses?  I'll even let you off the hook a little and say you don't have to explain why.

For the Magma enthusiasts, please review my list of reviews (no, you don't have to actually read them all) and tell which album you think would make me a convert.  Now, you all should explain why.

I've listened to a few Zeuhl samples here and am a little intrigued, the genre hasn't caught fire with me, but I retain an open mind and ear.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:11
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

^Right, not for everyone, but they clearly do not suck.

Except for maybe Popsicles, some might do penises, etc.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:28
...Popsicles don't suck either.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:50
^the category is things that people in the band might suck, I think.  Tongue

Oh, and please beware of popsicles that try and suck you...

-------------

Posted By: Magic Mountain
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:22
Last year at this time I only owned MDK and I didn't particularly like it all that much.  I definitely didn't get the hype.  Then NEARfest came along.  Magma was the last band on the last day, so I thought that I would get an early start going home.  So I went to their set thinking I would give them a few songs, seeing that I consider myself open minded.  Not only didn;t I leave early, they blew me away.  Out of hundreds/thousands of concerts I've been to in my life they were one of the best ever.  I now have 15 of their cds and love everyone.  I wish that I could have seen them in the 70s.

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:33
First time I heard Magma I liked them.  Then all the other times I did as well.  Its pretty cool that way.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:49
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

First time I heard Magma I liked them.  Then all the other times I did as well.  Its pretty cool that way.

top 5 posts ever

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:59

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

And seriously, folks, what's the deal with airline food?

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:04
Theusz Hamtaahk!

I'm not upto date with Magma as I should be, but what I have heard is astonishingly good.  It does have classical and jazz influences, but it's not classical at all.

When did you last hear a classical band with fuzz bass and a big drum sound?  It's very unique music and it's also intoxicating.

I must buy Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

-------------

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Theusz Hamtaahk!

I'm not upto date with Magma as I should be, but what I have heard is astonishingly good.  It does have classical and jazz influences, but it's not classical at all.

When did you last hear a classical band with fuzz bass and a big drum sound?  It's very unique music and it's also intoxicating.

I must buy Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

And everything else that isn't Merci. 

-------------

Posted By: DJPuffyLemon
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:54
I actually think Theusz Hamtaahk is a little better than MDK, at least when you compare it to the live version of MDK.

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:55
Is Merci that bad is it?

I'm listening to the debut, it's quite a lot different to Theusz Hamtaahk from Retrospektiw I-II.  I still love it though.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If one can't stand the heat, stay out of the Magma.  The cool thing about Magma followers is that they rarely get hotheaded when discussing the group with those that feel burned by Magma.

Actually, the cool thing about Magma followers is that I'm one. 

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:35
Well... Magma for me (the only album I've heard and reviewed, Kohntaktorzs or something) was like a "this is great and very interesting and intellectual but I'm just listening to it because I have to listen to every kind of music" kind of experience. Can't deny the talent and the creativity and anything, but after more than a few listens of the whole thing, I just decided: "Magma.. we have to talk. It's not you, it's me"

Funny how the worst post ever (well, one of them) can lead to interesting discussion. The first post should be deleted, changed to "i don't like Magma. Comment" and everything would be fine.

But of course, nothing beats a good troll-hunting...Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:37
Try a different album Teo, such as the debut or M.D.K.

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:42
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Well... Magma for me (the only album I've heard and reviewed, Kohntaktorzs or something) was like a "this is great and very interesting and intellectual but I'm just listening to it because I have to listen to every kind of music" kind of experience. Can't deny the talent and the creativity and anything, but after more than a few listens of the whole thing, I just decided: "Magma.. we have to talk. It's not you, it's me"

Funny how the worst post ever (well, one of them) can lead to interesting discussion. The first post should be deleted, changed to "i don't like Magma. Comment" and everything would be fine.

But of course, nothing beats a good troll-hunting...Tongue

Feel the same way T.

I watched some of their videos on Youtube and just said; "Well, I can appreciate this, but it's just not my cup of tea."

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:49
Many find Udu Wudu and Live/ Hhai to be pretty accessible.  I really don't think that Kohntarkosz was the best place to start.  MDK is my favourite of the studio albums, but Live/ Hhai is generally a good place to start (but it depends on each person's musical tastes and background).

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 00:24
The debut is almost symphonic and VdGG/Genesis like in a few places, so that's the most accessible.

Of course, Magma deliberately made the Univeria Zekt album for the purpose of trying to win people over.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 00:28

Wow! Your are surely a unique specimen. Wink Every single Magma fan that I had met  told me that the first time was more awkward than losing their virginity (Talk about sucking Confused). I remember hearing Kohntarkosz (one of my top 50 albums all-time) totally perplexed, in fact laughing at the sheer insanity of it all. But the second run through was a mindblast , deep into the night , candles alight and very loud . It was a revelation! That was in1975 ... I can only imagine the SHOCK of some neophyte seeing them live front row center! Life altering experience. (Just Top or Paga alone is worth the trauma)

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 00:42
I also had an easy time enjoying them.

The first album I heard was Retrospektiw I-II.  Theusz Hamtaahk blew me completely away!

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 00:54

The debut is almost symphonic and VdGG/Genesis like in a few places, so that's the most accessible.

Unless one dislikes VdGG, Genesis, and symph. Wink  Hey, some "prog" fans do.  Can't recall any VdGG haters who are into Magma, actually.

Quote Of course, Magma deliberately made the Univeria Zekt album for the purpose of trying to win people over.

True.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 01:45
The first time I heard Magma, it was on a bootleg that featured MDK and Sowloi.  I remember that my reaction was that I was intrigued but hardly blown away.   But I did get the real MDK and tried out 1001 Centigrades, and that hooked me.

But I never really understood the people who claim that they had a difficult time getting into Magma.  I personally didn't hear anything that turned me off in my early listens (well, maybe that spiritual song on Attahk.)

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 03:29
Thnaks for bringing the thread round to a constructive discussion guys.

Alanerc, please respect the views of others, and show respect for the band themselves. Fair enough if you do not like them, as this thread has established Magma can be difficult to like. Perhaps you could explain, in a constructive way, what it is you do not like about them.

Posted By: song_of_copper
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 09:06

I also had an easy time enjoying them.

Yep, me too.  MDK, first coupla bars, instant love. Embarrassed Heart

The first album I heard was Retrospektiw I-II.  Theusz Hamtaahk blew me completely away!

I'm not very well placed to offer 'first Magma' suggestions (given that I'm totally biased, and don't know what it feels like to be put off by hearing them!) but my pick would indeed probably be 'Retrospektiw I-II'.  It's less claustrophobic-sounding than some of the studio stuff and shows off a couple of their best compositions, in an atmospheric live setting.  I'm trying to write a review of it at the moment, so I'll say no more about that for now!

It's quite funny how some people react with sheer outrage simply from hearing some music they don't like very much.  Almost as if the musicians have personally insulted the disgruntled listener's mother. LOL

All I can say about my first impressions is that... before I heard Magma, I assumed they'd be horrible, pompous and unlistenable, and it might just be the fact that they weren't that made such a strong impression on me!  I thought it was going to be undisciplined, self-indulgent pap, but instead I heard unity and sincerity.  I thought the mythology and made up lingo would be silly and annoying, but instead of meaningless 'mouth noises' I heard actual emotion being expressed.

But the original poster probably isn't interested in all that, so I'll shut up. Wink

Chacun à son goût!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 09:48
I've been listening to the debut recently.  What I've heard I somewhat enjoyed, but it didn't really make me want to go and grab every album they've ever made.  What's odd is that there don't appear to be many "casual" fans of this band- seems like it's mostly lovers and haters.  I think I like the album enough to get more (and it's easy for me to do so, as a good portion of their catalog is available on emusic), but I'm not sure if they'll ever be among my favorite artists.  Only time will tell.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 09:58
^whether or not the OP cares, it's a good post. o:)

I got hooked by listening to K.A. (since it was more easily available than any of the '70s albums) and it only took one attempt. going back through their work I found 1001 Degrees, Kohntarkosz and the debut significantly harder to enjoy but now those are my favourite three recordings by them. I'm fairly sure they've helped me to enjoy jazz as prior to discovering their music I avoided all of its forms - now I'm just extremely wary of the genre, which is an improvement. =P

Is Merci that bad is it?

*giggles at how insistent the question sounds*

debut: five stars
retros un et deux: five stars
theusz hamtaahk: fiiiiiive stars
merci: fail

I reviewed Merci and decided it wasn't worth being nice, but a lot of the actually-good reviewers here gave it a more carefully considered three so maybe you'd like it *a little*. Even so, it's not worth trying until you've heard everything else by the band, because this sort of fixation makes you not much better than a Collins-era Genesis still-goodite. o:)

-------------

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:20
I haven't ever even finished the first listen to Merci I started.  It's just not worth it when they have three studio masterpieces (MDK, Kohntarkosz, KA) and the greatest live album ever (Live/Hhai).

Also, Magma>OP

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:27

^whether or not the OP cares, it's a good post. o:)

D'you mean mine?  Ooh, if so, thank you. Smile

Just posted my 'Retrospektiw I-II' review... which is definitely overlong and quite possibly overly ecstatic, but never mind!  All these opinions must have their outlet! LOL

[And I honestly promise to review something other than Magma next.  Although it might well be something else Zeuhlish...]

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:50

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

I think there is a universal law (including Kobaia of course) you should be aware of ,strictly enforced here on PA that forbids anyone to criticize negatively MAGMA.
You should pay respect with devotion to the grand master VANDER and not provoke anger from him and his faithfull followers, including myself.
Severe ultimate punishments are in order for those who do so and no mercy will be granted to you in the future!
You have opened for yourself the gates of Hell.Evil%20SmileEvil%20Smile Be ready to suffer!Big%20smile

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:09
I find Magma's world, concept, mythology more interesting than almost any imaginative worlds(Shakespeare has a great writing here on the subject, in the blog section).
Their music also more than just unusual.

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:23
I liked this band for about a week. Not much going on that would really hold my attention or provide an enjoyable listening experience.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:26
Originally posted by <font size=5>Avantgardehead</font> Avantgardehead wrote:

I liked this band for about a week. Not much going on that would really hold my attention or provide an enjoyable listening experience.

lol

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 15:49
Lots of responses from members of Uniweria Zekt, acolytes of Kreuhn Korhman and followers of Nebehr Gudahtt, all measured and reasonable in the face of quite gratuitous negativity. It's hardly news that some people dislike Magma with big sticks (the present Mrs Syzygy for one...) but if you made that kind of post about just about any other band it would lead to the start of a flame war and the thread would be closed down almost immediately.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 15:52
^^^^ I know if I wrote what that OP wrote, people would be friggin taking out contracts on me.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:22

because this sort of fixation makes you not much better than a Collins-era Genesis still-goodite. o:)

of course, Magma pales in comparison to the great Spandau Ballet.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:27

lol

Perhaps it's just not avant garde enough.

-------------

Posted By: Explorer-eighth
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 18:13

I rate Magma very highly, especially 1001 Degrees Centigrades, Kohntark Live 1975 and Kohntarkosz followed by Magma (Kobaia) and In Edits, but I wish In Edits had been produced with a better sound quality.  Om Zanka is a brilliant track from that album.

I can't say which album I would recommend for beginners.  I would need to have a list of what they already like.

-------------
The music I enjoy is complex; varied; deep and well played.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:07
E-E, most of the best parts of Inédits are on K.A, which is actually the best quality Magma album to date. Gettit.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:01
I've finally gotten around to hearing studio Magma (I've gone chronologically from the debut to MDK so far) and every album is different.  I don't think I've hit the summit yet though, because the classic bass and the violin sound doesn't occur until later.

What I've heard is fascinating.  I noticed Josh's review of M.D.K. and although I agree how great that album is, I just cannot put up with fadeouts.  It shows the sign of the times though when vinyls had limitations.  I suspect if they re-recorded it now, alll the tracks would be fully recorded and the album would be longer.

Next up for me is Kohntarkosz and then I'll have to have a break, because I don't have Udu Wudu or Wurdah Itah yet.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:07
What live Magma have you heard, James?

Also, when going chronologically, skip over Merci.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:22
Pnoom!, I have heard both Live/Hhai (Kohntark) and Retrospektiw I-II.  I actually prefer Retrospektiw I-II, when most people prefer Live/Hhai.  Oh and Live/Hhai is the extended version, I think.

Avantgardehead, which album did you listen to?  So far, in my experience, every album has been different.  Kohntarkosz is the closest to the sound of Univers Zero, Present and Shub-Niggurath, so if you like those bands, then Kohntarkosz is the one that may appeal to you, oh and Udu Wudu, which is akin to the Weidorje sound.  I love Weidorje, so I'm looking forward to Udu Wudu.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:25
Weidorje is better than Udu Wudu.

If you like Udu Wudu, try and track down Jannick Top's solo album, Soleil D'ork.  It's also like Udu Wudu, but less dated and better.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:28
Cheers.  I will do.  I have a lot of Zeuhl albums, but none by Top or Paganotti yet.

I thought it was all about De Futura?

I think I'll listen to Pseu next.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:30
I five stars'd theusz jannick and you should too

-------------

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:31
I've listened to all of their albums from '70 to '78. Nothing held my attention.

And a little history behind the name, think of an avant-garde head. An actual head, crafted in an avant-garde fashion. That's what the name means, as if it reflected my favorite musical genre, it should be "Indiehead".

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 20:38

Cheers.  I will do.  I have a lot of Zeuhl albums, but none by Top or Paganotti yet.

I thought it was all about De Futura?

I think I'll listen to Pseu next.

Pseu is pretty meh, IMO.  Pale Magma semi-clone without half the power or ingenuity.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 22:05
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

If you like Udu Wudu, try and track down Jannick Top's solo album, Soleil D'ork.  It's also like Udu Wudu, but less dated and better.

teh trooth. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 22:10
Wurdah Itah is very good so far, I must say.  I wasn't expecting it be quite like this, bearing in mind it was used for the Tristan et Iseult film.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 22:12

Wurdah Itah is very good so far, I must say.  I wasn't expecting it be quite like this, bearing in mind it was used for the Tristan et Iseult film.

Wurdah Itah is my least favorite of the albums Magma released during their glory era.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 22:13
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

teh trooth. 

The second half of the post is trooth as well.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 22:17

Wurdah Itah is my least favorite of the albums Magma released during their glory era.

Well it's credited as Vander, but yes, it's a Magma album.  I'm enjoying it very much actually.

Is the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie worth getting?  It's expensive, but I think it maybe quite essential, as it puts all three parts of it together.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:41
Deep Purple Rules

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:46
I think you should tell them all, alanerc. 

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:50

Well it's credited as Vander, but yes, it's a Magma album.  I'm enjoying it very much actually.

Is the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie worth getting?  It's expensive, but I think it maybe quite essential, as it puts all three parts of it together.

It's a decent live performance, but there are better live versions of all three pieces, except maybe Wurdah Itah, which I don't even like that much anyway.

So basically, it depends on how much you like Wurdah Itah.  I would say no, it's not anywhere close to essential.

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:51
^ I've done it

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 04:15
Bless you, Alanerc for bringing us all out of the woodwork to discuss a fantastic band.  It's about time this happened.

I've now finally had the chance to hear all studio albums (except Merci) and early indication shows that Weidorje-era Magma is for me.  K.A. was also terrific, but I need to listen to them all again, because one listen isn't sufficient.

However, I didn't hear any Didier Lockwood on any of the albums, have I missed something?

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 04:17
Didier Lockwood is only on some of the live albums, most notably Live/Hhai

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 04:18
Ah, hence why I didn't hear him then.  I've heard Live/Hhai, so I'll listen to it again, to refamiliarise mysel with it.

I'm also going to listen to Flying Luttenbachers cover of De Futura soon.

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 10:55

After years as a name I knew but never actually listened too I bought my first Magma album a month ago (K.A). It's quite unlike anything else in my collection but I found myself warming to it after a few listens and deffinitely a band I want to check out further. I've been trying to get hold of Kobaia but no luck yet.

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 13:07

Don't bother with the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy box-set thingy.  The live versions of MDK and Theusz Hamtaahk on Retrospektiw are better, and who needs a live Wurdah Itah? 

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 13:10
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

After years as a name I knew but never actually listened too I bought my first Magma album a month ago (K.A). It's quite unlike anything else in my collection but I found myself warming to it after a few listens and deffinitely a band I want to check out further. I've been trying to get hold of Kobaia but no luck yet.

http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=Seventh-Rex%20IV -
http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=Seventh-Rex%20IV

Big%20smile

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 13:30

Ah, hence why I didn't hear him then.  I've heard Live/Hhai, so I'll listen to it again, to refamiliarise mysel with it.

I'm also going to listen to Flying Luttenbachers cover of De Futura soon.

You should!  It's intense!  It's not as groovy as Magma's, but it's very intense and "Flying-Luttenbacher-ish"  if you know what I mean.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 13:56
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Don't bother with the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy box-set thingy.  The live versions of MDK and Theusz Hamtaahk on Retrospektiw are better, and who needs a live Wurdah Itah? 

How about the DVD?

In fact, all those Magma DVDs - not many reviews up here.  Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/warnings?

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 13:58
I enjoy that http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=WR0701 - V/A - Hamtai! - Hommage A La Musique De Christian Vander (2CD) tribute.  Some of it is very good.

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I enjoy that http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=WR0701 - V/A - Hamtai! - Hommage A La Musique De Christian Vander (2CD) tribute.  Some of it is very good.

I heard some low grade samples and I was pretty impressed - I must get round to buying a copy.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:04

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

you suck

anyone with even the slightest intelligence will understand that there is no such thing as music that sucks. that said, there is no such thing as good music. it's all an opinion, so stop impeeding your judgements fool, you either like it or you don't, period.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:18
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

So, I listened to Magma

they suck

you suck

anyone with even the slightest intelligence will understand that there is no such thing as music that sucks. that said, there is no such thing as good music. it's all an opinion, so stop impeeding your judgements fool, you either like it or you don't, period.

From an objective standpoint, you are wrong.  From a subjective one, you are right.  And yes, I have rather more than "even the slightest intelligence."

And anyone with even the slightest intelligence should know better than to use such phrases as that.

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:25

lol

Why is it that if one's name suggests a liking towards a particular genre/movement, he is expected to like every single band in it?

-------------

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:48
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Wow! Your are surely a unique specimen. Wink Every single Magma fan that I had met  told me that the first time was more awkward than losing their virginity (Talk about sucking Confused). I remember hearing Kohntarkosz (one of my top 50 albums all-time) totally perplexed, in fact laughing at the sheer insanity of it all. But the second run through was a mindblast , deep into the night , candles alight and very loud . It was a revelation! That was in1975 ... I can only imagine the SHOCK of some neophyte seeing them live front row center! Life altering experience. (Just Top or Paga alone is worth the trauma)

You're reaction to Magma is similar to my reaction to Koenjiyahaki.

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:48

Deep Purple Rules

Not particularly, no.

Anyone here familiar with Vander's jazz work? Any albums you'd recommend?

Posted By: LordOfTheRings
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:57
Magma is aFantastic band

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 15:58
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

lol

Why is it that if one's name suggests a liking towards a particular genre/movement, he is expected to like every single band in it?

He isn't.  He is, however, expected to like the best bands in it.  And Magma is clearly in the upper echelon of avant-garde bands.

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 16:00
'Echelon' is a fancy word for 'basement', right?

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 16:06
That wasn't very clever.

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 16:08
Hell, I laughed.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk