Print Page | Close Window

The Only Toby Driver et al Thread You'll Ever Need

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48109
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 11:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Only Toby Driver et al Thread You'll Ever Need
Posted By: Pnoom!
Subject: The Only Toby Driver et al Thread You'll Ever Need
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:51
Discuss all things Kayo Dot here.

Choirs>Lambency>Dowsing

Best songs:

Aura on an Asylum Wall
The Manifold Curiosity
Symmetrical Arizona

Replies:
Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:11
um, is this the thread where i can express my undying love for all things Kayo dot? 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

um, is this the thread where i can express my undying love for all things Kayo dot? 

Yes.

For example:

Originally posted by pnoom! in his sleep pnoom! in his sleep wrote:

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG KAYO DOT IS TEH BEST BAND EVAR!

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:31
folly? ;P

Anyway, band is neato and are currently winning 2008. They're in the lead. You heard.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:33
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

folly? ;P

Anyway, band is neato and are currently winning 2008. They're in the lead. You heard.

If Laplace says so then i must agree. this band IS neato.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:37

folly? ;P

Yeah, I changed my name to align with the other forums I visit.

I'm such a fanboy.

Total Toby Driver disco ranked/rated (except My Fruit Psychobells):

1. Choirs of the Eye (10.0)
2. Blue Lambency Downward (9.9)
3. Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue (9.8)
4. In the L..L..Library Loft (9.6)
5. Bath (9.5)
6. Sixty Metonymies (9.2)
7. Leaving Your Body Map (8.8)

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:20
I downloaded the leak of Blue Lambency Downward, listened to snippets of it, and immediately pre-ordered it. I'm in love!!!

I especially love how everything this band does is such a departure from what they've done before. You have the melodic, ambient metal of Choirs of the Eye followed by the dissonant, minimalistic dirges of Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue, and now the awesomely jazzy Blue Lambency Downward.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:43
This is absolutely the best thing to ever happen to music ever.

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:45

folly? ;P

Yeah, but Ementeht-Re is gonna blow it out of the water. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

folly? ;P

yes please =) I abandon my Kayo Dot fan station when Magma's active. ;P

-------------

Posted By: Dominic
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 15:40
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Discuss all things Kayo Dot here.

Choirs>Lambency>Dowsing

Best songs:

Aura on an Asylum Wall
The Manifold Curiosity
Symmetrical Arizona

Wow, i agree precisely.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:39
Is Sixty Metonymies the Tartar Lamb album?

Choirs of the Eye is one of the alltime great albums, as is Leaving Your Body Map. Having heard the stream of Blue Lambency Doenward (and subsequently pre-ordered it) I can confidently say that BLD will be one of the albums of the year.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:41

folly? ;P

I'm such a fanboy.

5. Bath (9.5)

Interesting rating.

IMO, Leaving Your Body Map is the best of the bunch.  Don't get me wrong - I like them all.  Body Map is just out of this world.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:47

folly? ;P

I'm such a fanboy.

5. Bath (9.5)

Thought I'd put in mine:
  1. Choirs of the Eye (5*)
  2. Leaving Your Body Map (5*)
  3. Bath (4*)
  4. my Fruit Psychobells... a Seed Combustable (4*)
  5. Dowsing Anamone with Copper Tongue (3*)

-------------

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 16:50

folly? ;P

Smile

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:05
Kayo Dot and Maudlin of the Well are the two greatest band to hit non seventies music!

Kayo Dot Standings

Choirs
BLD
Dowsing

Manifold of Curiosity
Gemini becoming the tripod (Underated song)
Symetrical arizona (The return of the solo)

All Toby Driver projects....

Bath 6/5
Choirs 5/5
LYBM/BLD 4.5/5
Dowsing 4/5
In the L... L... library loft/Sixty metonomies 3/5

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:56
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

folly? ;P

Smile

Ementeht-Re is going to be awesome, but let's face it, at this point, Kayo Dot>Magma.

Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Kayo Dot and Maudlin of the Well are the two greatest band to hit non seventies music!

Please don't let such elitism plague this thread.

90s>70s

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:31
No!

2000's>>>>> 1970's

Yes> Kayo Dot (and everyone else)

-------------

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:41
3 > 1

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:43
Preordered the album, complete with shirt and pillowcase. I don't want to listen to the streaming, though, I want a surprise.

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:16
Bump.

New rankings:

Choirs of the Eye (10.0)
Bath (9.3)
Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue (9.2)
In the L..L..Library Loft (9.1)
Blue Lambency Downward (8.9)
Leaving Your Body Map (8.8)
Sixty Metonymies (8.6)

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:18
BLD went way down, whatsupwiththat?

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:21
Did that mean I just thought it was pretty good because BLD is the only Kayo Dot album I've heard so far?
I should get around to checking out their other stuff.....

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:31

I warn you BLD is the easiest listening stuff Kayo Dot has put out yet, Choirs of the eye, and especially Dowsing are extremely hard to listen to/get into.

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:33
Depends where your tastes are. I'm hearing more jazz in BLD than on previous releases and that can scare me away more than drone.

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:23
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

BLD went way down, whatsupwiththat?

I got over my fanboyism and gave it some fair listens.

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:35
Every motW and Kayo Dot album is a 10 in my book, especially the new one. I love how they're all so different from each other.

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:51
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Every motW and Kayo Dot album is a 10 in my book, especially the new one. I love how they're all so different from each other.

That is indeed one of the best aspects of their music.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 21:34
Can't wait for their new album to arrive. Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: avalanchemaster
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:08

folly? ;P

I'm such a fanboy.

5. Bath (9.5)

what about My Fruit Psychobells?

-------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AP

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:10
can't wait to get this new one.  I cannot get enough of Kayo Dot/motw....one of a kind band, very unique and dare I say "original"?????

great stuff.

-------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AP

Posted By: mithrandir
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:31
that song from the split with Bloody Panda is completely horrifying, love it! 

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:38
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

3 > 1

1 <3
I love the number one.

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:41

Ementeht-Re is going to be awesome, but let's face it, at this point, Kayo Dot>Magma.

:|

but let's face it, at this point, Kayo Dot>Magma.

: o

Kayo Dot>Magma.

SHUN'D

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:43
I refuse to listen to the new album until my hardcopy arrives, so I can't rank it but I say,

DAWCT >>>> COTE

I don't understand why Dowsing seems to do so poorly. Don't get me wrong, I'd say Choirs of the Eye is a 4.5~5 star album, but I still feel Dowsing is significantly better.

Can some fellow Kayo Dot fans elaborate what it is that makes Dowsing worse than the others.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:52
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I refuse to listen to the new album until my hardcopy arrives, so I can't rank it but I say,

DAWCT >>>> COTE

I don't understand why Dowsing seems to do so poorly. Don't get me wrong, I'd say Choirs of the Eye is a 4.5~5 star album, but I still feel Dowsing is significantly better.

Can some fellow Kayo Dot fans elaborate what it is that makes Dowsing worse than the others.

-it doesn't feel like the cohesive whole that Choirs is.  Sure, basically every track is amazing (the first three are pretty much perfect, On Limpid Form is amazing as well), but it doesn't feel like the single entity that is Choirs

-On Limpid Form.  As amazing as it is, the grind that is the last 2/3 of the song just isn't as revelatory as you come to expect from the band that gives you Choirs of the Eye

-Amaranth the Peddler.  Here's the real reason.  This song is about eight minutes too long.  In that middle section with the awesome melody, this song shows the potential to be a perfect, Pitcher of Summer-like track.  But it honestly drags on.

-it never hits the highs of Choirs.  Let's face it.  As awesome as Dowsing gets at its best moments, it has nothing that rivals that first climax in The Manifold Curiosity, or the end of The Manifold Curiosity, or the deconstruction of Marathon, or the beauty of Wayfarer, or the crushing beauty of The Antique.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Dowsing, but Choirs is, on every level, the better CD IMO.

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:54

DAWCT >>>> COTE

dowsing took me longer to get into because it is more subtle in the songwriting, meaning the progressions seem to be much slower and it builds at a more languid pace than Choirs, which is completely immediate for me.  Dowsing now sits as a masterpiece of progressive/jazzy doom madness.  It is so tortured.....and it is not worse at all, just takes more listens to appreciate fully (like all of the greats).

I am also waiting until I get a hardcopy to listen to the new one.....

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:59

DAWCT >>>> COTE

-it doesn't feel like the cohesive whole that Choirs is.  Sure, basically every track is amazing (the first three are pretty much perfect, On Limpid Form is amazing as well), but it doesn't feel like the single entity that is Choirs

-On Limpid Form.  As amazing as it is, the grind that is the last 2/3 of the song just isn't as revelatory as you come to expect from the band that gives you Choirs of the Eye

-Amaranth the Peddler.  Here's the real reason.  This song is about eight minutes too long.  In that middle section with the awesome melody, this song shows the potential to be a perfect, Pitcher of Summer-like track.  But it honestly drags on.

-it never hits the highs of Choirs.  Let's face it.  As awesome as Dowsing gets at its best moments, it has nothing that rivals that first climax in The Manifold Curiosity, or the end of The Manifold Curiosity, or the deconstruction of Marathon, or the beauty of Wayfarer, or the crushing beauty of The Antique.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Dowsing, but Choirs is, on every level, the better CD IMO.

I really have to disagree with your last statement especially. I feel that the crescendo in Amaranth The Peddler start "feathers..." is the highest point Kayo Dot has hit.

Also, I tend to feel Choirs of the Eye is a tiny bit formulaic in structure of songs from the quiet intros to the heavy dissonance.

I think the reason I tend to enjoy it so much is don't hear the sections that so many people drag on. I very much like the minimalism and noise sections.

Thanks for the in-depth response.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:08

The problem with all your arguments is that they're subjective, and I respectfully disagree with them all. Big%20smile

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:17

I really have to disagree with your last statement especially. I feel that the crescendo in Amaranth The Peddler start "feathers..." is the highest point Kayo Dot has hit.

Not the highest (that would be the first climax of Manifold), but certainly up there.  The problem, IMO, is that the buildup to it (and builddown from it) both noodle far too much.

Quote Also, I tend to feel Choirs of the Eye is a tiny bit formulaic in structure of songs from the quiet intros to the heavy dissonance.

Yeah, like Marathon, eh? Wink

Quote I think the reason I tend to enjoy it so much is don't hear the sections that so many people drag on. I very much like the minimalism and noise sections.

Thanks for the in-depth response.

I love minimalism as well, but there's a difference between minimalism that noodles and minimalism that doesn't, and, unfortunately, I feel that Dowsing has too much of the kind that does.

Also, currently listening to: Blue Lambency Downward

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:17

The problem with all your arguments is that they're subjective, and I respectfully disagree with them all. Big%20smile

I know you're being snarky and all, but he asked a subjective question.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:21
Also, page 3.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:22
Dowsing gets better with every listen, but Choirs, after a couple of months of lack of understanding just jumped out at me, and took me completely by suprise. Choirs is definately the superior album, you get the excellent blend of metal, jazz, and minimalism, where IMO Dowsing underdoes the metal, and overdoes the jazz (aura on an asylum wall), and the minimalism (amaranth). Either way, Dowsing may get a five star from me, maybe. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:24

I know you're being snarky and all, but he asked a subjective question.

Then stop saying "Let's face it" you make it seem like you're being objective. Unhappy

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:27

I think the reason I tend to enjoy it so much is don't hear the sections that so many people drag on. I very much like the minimalism and noise sections.

I agree with you on Dowsing.
But isn't all music a noise section?

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:28
Aura on an Asylum Wall is easily the best song on Dowsing

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:29
LIMPID FORM, BABY

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:31

I agree with you on Dowsing.
But isn't all music a noise section?

Yes, but you know what I mean Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:33
Gemini FTW

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:35
Kayo Dot is great. I love every second of every song they've ever done. I can think of nothing negative to say about them at all. From the pretty post-metal to the minimalist dirges to the jazz ballads, I can't get enough!

They're one of those bands that can do no wrong, in my opinion. Probably the only one in which I know I will like whatever they put out.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:35

Of course.

Okay, everybody, time to rank Kayo Dot's songs, all of them.

First, though, I'd like people to know that Blue Lambency Downward is reclicking.

1. The Manifold Curiosity
2. Wayfarer
3. Aura on an Asylum Wall
4. Don't Touch Dead Animals
5. Symmetrical Arizona
6. Immortelle and Paper Caravelle
7. The Awkward Windwheel
8. Marathon
9. Blue Lambency Downward
10. Gemini Becoming the Tripod
11. The Antique
12. __ On Limpid Form
13. Clelia Walking
14. A Pitcher of Summer
15. Right Hand Is the One I Want
16. The Sow Submits
17. The Useless Ladder
18. Amaranth the Peddler

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:44
I'll rank with BLD, and repost after I've heard it and made a decision.

1. Amaranth The Peddler
2. ___ On Lipid Form
3. Wayfarer
4. Immortelle and Paper Caravelle
5. The Manifold Curiosity
6. Don't Touch Dead Animals
7. Gemini Becoming The Tripod
8. The Antique
9. Marathon
10. Aura On An Asylum Wall
11. Pitcher Of  Summer

-------------

Posted By: _JC_
Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 03:23
Well, I just picked up my first Kayo Dot album; Choirs of the Eye. Being that I am a huge fan of experimental metal music, and even more of a fan of all things post, I'm pretty sure I enjoy this.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 03:28
Originally posted by _JC_ _JC_ wrote:

Well, I just picked up my first Kayo Dot album; Choirs of the Eye. Being that I am a huge fan of experimental metal music, and even more of a fan of all things post, I'm pretty sure I enjoy this.

Also, the fact that Choirs of the Eye is the best album ever released should help you enjoy it as well.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 03:41

Also, the fact that Choirs of the Eye is the best album ever released should help you enjoy it as well.

oh the irony that we agree on the brilliance of this album, yet you chastise me in my other thread about metal......OuchAngry

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 03:43
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

oh the irony that we agree on the brilliance of this album, yet you chastise me in my other thread about metal......OuchAngry

You might have noticed how, in the other thread, part of my frustration was that we largely agreed on a great many points, and yet we were arguing over something so fundamentally simple.

No hard feelings from that thread, ok?

Hug

EDIT: oh, and go slap a ***** review on Choirs if you haven't already, eh? Tongue

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 03:57

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

You might have noticed how, in the other thread, part of my frustration was that we largely agreed on a great many points, and yet we were arguing over something so fundamentally simple.

No hard feelings from that thread, ok?

Hug

EDIT: oh, and go slap a ***** review on Choirs if you haven't already, eh? Tongue

nope. no hard feelings, it all boils down to the love of music,  right?
so explain to me in that other thread what we are misunderstanding......

I will have to listen to Choirs for days on end to give it a just review...Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 04:11
I'm bored.  Album ranking time.

1. Choirs of the Eye
2. Bath
3t. Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
3t. Blue Lambency Downward
5. In the L..L..Library Loft
6. Leaving Your Body Map
7. Sixty Metonymies

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 08:39
do Kayo Dot actually play on Gregor Samsa's "Rest"? I listened to that album yesterday and it was hypnotic, a word I mean in its literal sense.

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 10:11
I found Gregor Samsa boring and completely non-prog when I discovered them via MySpace.  I was disappointed with them, so I didn't even recommend them for post-rock. LOL

As for Kayo Dot... I don't have anyhow, but I will rectify the situation.  I do have some tracks by them though and I plan to begin my journey with Maudlin of the Well first.

By the way, what on earth do their silly album titles mean?

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 10:37
Folly, how often do you change your rankings? 

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:17

DAWCT >>>> COTE

For me,  its the fact that ___on Limpid Form and Amaranth the Peddler are both built up from long, repetative drones (or at least seem to be) which bore me silly, and together they take up about half of the album. Its a shame because Arura on an Asylumn Wall is absolutely stunning.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:20

Of course.

Okay, everybody, time to rank Kayo Dot's songs, all of them.

First, though, I'd like people to know that Blue Lambency Downward is reclicking.

2. Wayfarer
3. Aura on an Asylum Wall
4. Don't Touch Dead Animals
5. Symmetrical Arizona
6. Immortelle and Paper Caravelle
7. The Awkward Windwheel
8. Marathon
9. Blue Lambency Downward
10. Gemini Becoming the Tripod
11. The Antique
12. __ On Limpid Form
13. Clelia Walking
14. A Pitcher of Summer
15. Right Hand Is the One I Want
16. The Sow Submits
17. The Useless Ladder
18. Amaranth the Peddler

I'll bite, though I wont be rating the BLD songs until I've heard the album several times at least (and I wont be listening to it again until I get it in the post next week).

2. Aurora on an Asylumn Wall
  3. Marathon
  4. The Antique
  5. Wayfarer
  6. Gemini Becoming the Tripod
  7. Imortelle and Paper Caravelle
  8. A Pitcher of Summer
  9. Amaranth the Peddler
  10. ___on Limpid Form

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:24
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I found Gregor Samsa boring and completely non-prog when I discovered them via MySpace.  I was disappointed with them, so I didn't even recommend them for post-rock. LOL

As for Kayo Dot... I don't have anyhow, but I will rectify the situation.  I do have some tracks by them though and I plan to begin my journey with Maudlin of the Well first.

By the way, what on earth do their silly album titles mean?

WOW.  that is too bad.  I think Gregor Samsa is absolutely beautiful, great band with excellent ambient passages.....

we will just have to agree to disagree...Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:31
*giggles* That's quite defensive, agreeing to disagree in your opening argument. o:)

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:34
*giggles* I notice he did not chastise laplace for finding Gregor Samsa snooze-worthy, lolz. ;P

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 14:51
Gregor Samsa is freakin' incredible, but that's another thread!

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

DAWCT >>>> COTE

For me,  its the fact that ___on Limpid Form and Amaranth the Peddler are both built up from long, repetative drones (or at least seem to be) which bore me silly, and together they take up about half of the album. Its a shame because Arura on an Asylumn Wall is absolutely stunning.

Dead It's like having to hear someone insult your children.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 15:29
your children are ugly

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 15:36
oh and my list! still holding off listening to BLD, so i'll not be including those songs.

1.Wayfarer
2.Pitcher of Summer
3.The Manifold Curiosity
4.Aura on the Asylum Wall
5.Marathon
6.Gemini Becoming the Tripod
7.The Antique
8.On Limpid Form
9.Immortelle and paper Caravelle
10.Amarath the Peddler

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 15:59
Fun band.

DAWCT certainly is a grower. First few times I heard it I only liked Aura...and some of Immortelle....But since then the rest has grown, especially ____On Limpid Form. Also, I seem to think they keep getting better with age. COTE was good, don't get me wrong, but I like DAWCT more, and I was really impressed with BLD. My main problem with the band is inconsistancy. When they are good they are great and when they are not I find them a bit boring. *hides*

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 16:22
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

your children are ugly

That's what I like so much about them.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 16:58
Originally posted by James James wrote:

*giggles* I notice he did not chastise laplace for finding Gregor Samsa snooze-worthy, lolz. ;P

stop that

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:20
I just got an email from amazon saying that the BLD release has been put back by a couple of weeks, so I'll have to wait until the 20th at lest before I get it.Cry 

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:43

Folly, how often do you change your rankings? 

When I disagree with them.  Right now, a lot will change soon because I just changed masterpiece to mean 9.8+

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:45
I preordered from Hydrahead, I'll see what they say.

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:11

I preordered from Hydrahead, I'll see what they say.

it'd better Censored come this week

Cry

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:15
Their site still says it will ship this week.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 13:16
Just to let my fans know... cd will arrive soon and expect a full review of it in coming weeks...TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 13:18

The T, have you edited your Dowsing review up to ** yet?

Also, I think you'll like this more than Dowsing, though you would like Choirs the most I expect.

Also also, more people need to review the new one.

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 13:24
Haven't edited it because couldn't give it the extra listen I mentioned... I'll give it the fair chance it deserves this weekend... (I have given the album a LOT of fair chances...LOL)

For some reasons, I'm really excited to hear the new one... Somewhere deep in the noise and buried in the 14+10 minute repetition of the last two tracks, I heard a good band. And in track three I heard one for a few good minutes.... But self-indulgence and experimentation with vegetables shouldn't mix with studio time...Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Figglesnout
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 15:35
So, I'm late to this thread. But, considering that Kayo Dot is one of my favorite bands, I'll throw in my ratinz:

First off:

Choirs>Dowsing>BLD

Second off:

1. Marathon
2. ___On Limpid Form
3. Right Hand Is The One I Want
4. The Antique
5. A Pitcher Of Summer (I just love these lyrics...)
6. Don't Touch Dead Animals (criminally underrated!)
7. The Awkward Windwheel
8. The Manifold Curiosity
9. Gemini Becoming The Tripod
10. Wayfarer
11. Aura On Asylum Wall
12. Symmetrical Arizona
13. Clelia Walking
14. Immortelle and Paper Caravelle
15. Blue Lambency Downward
16. The Sow Submits
17. The Useless Ladder
18. Amaranth The Peddler

Anyway, great band. BLD is sweet by the way. Perhaps not quite the masterpiece their others were, but still quite good in a much more subtle way.

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Haven't edited it because couldn't give it the extra listen I mentioned... I'll give it the fair chance it deserves this weekend... (I have given the album a LOT of fair chances...LOL)

For some reasons, I'm really excited to hear the new one... Somewhere deep in the noise and buried in the 14+10 minute repetition of the last two tracks, I heard a good band. And in track three I heard one for a few good minutes.... But self-indulgence and experimentation with vegetables shouldn't mix with studio time...Tongue

Well their new album is far closer in sound to Aura on an Asylum Wall (track three) than __ On Limpid Form and Amaranth the Peddler.

I predict three stars, *maybe* a low four from you.

Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

6. Don't Touch Dead Animals (criminally underrated!)

Oh yes, such a great track.

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 18:49

Their site still says it will ship this week.

oh frabjous day
callooh callay

etc.

also I think the T would like either of their albums more than Dowsing, which after listening to today I remembered/realized why it's a horrid starting point with the band (still love the album though)

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:28

I'll throw in my estimate that you'll give it two. Maybe three.

I think you'll see it as very noodly, perhaps. Too subtle to enjoy.

Then again, I can see how this album would float your boat more than the others. It all depends. Considering the songs you said you kind of liked on Dowsing...I'd say this one's probably a no-go for you, or a "mediocre" for you.

Probably two. That's my guess on your rating. We could make this a game, ya know.

Folly, or Pnoom! now, says 3-4, I say 2-3...he say etc......and then....Finally. THE T SAYS...........!

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:43

So how many more fair chances before you correct your rating to be 5 stars.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:52

Haven't edited it because couldn't give it the extra
listen I mentioned... I'll give it the fair chance it deserves this
weekend... (I have given the album a LOT of fair chances...LOL)

For some reasons, I'm really excited to hear the new one...
Somewhere deep in the noise and buried in the 14+10 minute repetition
of the last two tracks, I heard a good band. And in track three I heard
one for a few good minutes.... But self-indulgence and experimentation
with vegetables shouldn't mix with studio time...Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 09:02
Allmusicguide rocks:

Rating = ****
Got the allmusicguide "check" meaning it's a pick album, and the review is brilliant:

Originally posted by allmusic allmusic wrote:

If ever there were a difficult band to pin down, Kayo Dot is it. The group's website describes them simply: "Kayo Dot is an experimental rock/modern composition ensemble currently based in New York City." That's correct, but it is also far too generic a term to capture them accurately. Kayo Dot was born form the ashes of prog-metal band http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:MAUDLIN|OF|THE|WELL - Maudlin of the Well . Originally a quintet, KD began its recording career with http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wcfyxq8aldde - Choirs of the Eye on http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:dxfwxqlgldhe - John Zorn 's Tzadik imprint in 2003, this was followed by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:j9ftxqedldke - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue on Robotic Empire in 2006, with three members leaving the fold, and vocalist http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9fexqlaldte - Mia Matsumiya joining the rank and file with original members http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:39foxqlaldfe - Toby Driver and http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:09fexqlaldte - Greg Massi . 2008's Blue Lambency Downward produced by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gifexqekldte - Randall Dunn finds the band on Hydra Head, reduced to just http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:39foxqlaldfe - Driver and http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9fexqlaldte - Matsumiya with a slew of guests including saxophonists http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gpfuxqyhldfe - Skerik and http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jzfoxqlgld6e - Hans Teuber with http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jjftxq8ald6e - Charlie Zeleny playing drums. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gifexqekldte - Dunn helps out on sound effects and synth design; there is a pair of cameos by percussionists http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:DAVE|ABRAMSON - Dave Abramson and http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:B.R.A.|D. - B.R.A. D. . Musically, the set is bookended by two pieces in the ten-minute range — the title cut that opens it and "Symmetrical Arizona," that closes it — with five shorter pieces in between that range from over six minutes to just under three.

The opening cut begins as an airy, seamless, beautifully and expansively constructed psychedelic pop tune that begins to disintegrate into tempered noise, reverbed guitars, and tautly driven kit work, and then just takes off into other sonic realms. This may be experimental music, but it carries a sense of rock dynamic, vanguard classical harmonies, and shifting time signatures. It is simultaneously very weird yet utterly accessible. The long instrumental section in the middle is brought back to http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:39foxqlaldfe - Driver 's elaborate sense of song structure — think of http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:k9foxql5ldke - Annette Peacock 's most elaborate songforms as arranged by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:j9fixq85ldde - Andy Partridge and played by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3ifwxqy5ld6e - Magma at their most effusive and you realize the rather boundary-disintegrating music we're talking about here — because even that description doesn't capture it. "Clelia Walking" begins with electric guitar power that sounds like http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fifuxqr5ldae - the Swans covering http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wxfexql5ldte - Therion tunes, but just as quickly it gives way to http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9fexqlaldte - Matsumiya 's lithe, gauzy violin coming from the softer reaches of http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jifwxqw5ld6e - Witold Lutoslawski before finally meeting Eastern modalities as sung by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3xfoxqq5ldse - Jeff Buckley . "Right Hand Is the One I Want," clocking in at just under seven minutes, begins as a shuffling waltz, with piano, snare, cymbals, strummed guitars, and outside melodies that are just heavenly. When the reeds and winds enter, they feel like http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jjftxqejldje - André Hodier 's modernist jazz-playing cabaret music and underscore the entire melodic and harmonic structure of the tune. But there are no edges as strange and foreign sounding as this is. The sense of drift and shimmer in the track is so gorgeous you wouldn't care what http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:39foxqlaldfe - Driver was singing, and even when things become more formless and shiftless, it's as if it is the most natural occurrence in the time-space continuum, especially when http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9fexqlaldte - Matsumiya 's violin begins a tango-flavored gypsy tune in its own warm sonic bath. "The Awkward Wind Wheel" is somewhat noiser and feels like the downtown New York scene playing its own tribute to the http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fifixqe5ldse - King Crimson of the early http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:hiftxqw5ldse - Adrian Belew era à la http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kvfrxquald0e - Discipline . It will take a minimum of several spins all the way through to even try to grasp all that's going on here. It's fair to say that perhaps you shouldn't have to work that hard, yet there is no real work involved; there is only delight, amusement, humor, and sometimes awe. While Kayo Dot is impossible to pigeonhole or put into a single box, they also make avant music you can hum to.

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 14:51
did anyone who ordered BLD get a confirmation email when you bought it? I didn't get one and my account on bluecollardistro says I never ordered it, yet the money was taken from my card when I ordered it

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 14:54

We need an airplane accident, a deserted island, just one cd in my collection and proper equipment... then loneliness and exclusivity will do the rest....Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 16:01
Listening to the whole CD now. It's still amazing, and (just like the other albums) gets more amazing with every listen. Avant-jazz balladry, post-metal guitar sprinklings, extra-small snippets of drone, and some interesting new RIO-ish influences.

That all being said, I'm listening to the album again when I get home from work.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 16:20
I actually thought it was a bit of a dis-grower on the whole, but not by much at all.

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 13:45

did anyone who ordered BLD get a confirmation email when you bought it? I didn't get one and my account on bluecollardistro says I never ordered it, yet the money was taken from my card when I ordered it

-------------

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 17:40

Yes, I received a confirmation; received the album as well two days ago.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 00:16
crap
that means I paid for the damn album
but I'm not gonna get it

Cry

I'm starting to get sadangry now

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 05:15
^Time to get angry with them I think.

Looks like it was only the international release that was put back, which means I've still got to wait nearly two weeks before I'll get it.

-------------

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 06:16
Third attempt at Kayo Dot's music:

Checked out the two pieces on PA, 'The Manifold Curiosity' and 'Gemini Becoming the Tripod'. I found the first boring and kinda messy. The other was quite funny, but still not very interesting. Will go to their Myspace to check out more.

I also looked at Toby Driver's solo entry and REALLY loved the piece available...

Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:18
okay, starting to get REALLLY pissed, they don't answer my emails and the phone didn't work either

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE Angry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry CensoredAngry Censored

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 22:13

The T, have you edited your Dowsing review up to ** yet?

Also, I think you'll like this more than Dowsing, though you would like Choirs the most I expect.

Also also, more people need to review the new one.

It has failed.

I have found the problem and the reason why the rating is not an average.

When i hear the first three tracks, it leaves the sensation of a 2.5 star record... even a 3... then the two last tracks attack and all is lost... both tracks make half of the album, and destroy any hope with me... Good thing they aren't the first tracks or I'd give it a MINUS something rating...

But as i said, I hear a band buried there.... and this week the new album will arrive and by next sunday you can expect yours truly to make peace with The Dot... or not... 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk