Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48144
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 10:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Cheese: camembert or brie
Posted By: tszirmay
Subject: Prog Cheese: camembert or brie
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 17:41
These are ear-friendly tunes that veer into the commercial kitchen, straight towards the cheese and crackers section . Which do you like the most and you can add one that stinks too (like a good Muenster) Wink

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Replies:
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:22
Let me see,

Maybe Heat Of The Moment slightly over C'est La Vie

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:30
Hocus Pocus? Cheesy? Not at all!
But by far the best on this list.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Hey, I agree, which is why I voted for it but you must admit that , compared to their usual fare, the yodelling  was a tad "aromatic" .LOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Hey, I agree, which is why I voted for it but you must admit that , compared to their usual fare, the yodelling  was a tad "aromatic" .LOL
/How many pop songs have yodeling?

Well there was that Jewel song LOL
Either way, it's still one of the best driving songs of all time.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:44

/How many pop songs have yodeling?

Well there was that Jewel song LOL
Either way, it's still one of the best driving songs of all time.

Especially when Akkerman positively rips the song to shreds on his axe, a highway mindblast!Clap

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:45
Came in here to post that Hocus Pocus is hardly cheesy. My mom got angry at me for playing that in the car!

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:50
She's obviously not Swiss= cheese, yodelling , get it? LOL

-------------

Posted By: Squonkman
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 18:56
I don't know if Heat of the Moment is really a progressive rock tune per se (unlike some other songs on that album, which definitely are proggy), but its an outstanding rock song, catchy, melodic and smooth. I find nothing cheesy about it, its just a good pop tune which fit the era well. In fact, same could be said for Owner of a Lonely Heart. Now you want some cheese, check out some Spandau Ballet, some Loverboy, some Air Supply, and most of the hair metal bands of the 80s. THAT is cheese.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 19:02
Hocus Pocus cheesy?Confused

oh, and Camembert

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 19:29
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Hocus Pocus cheesy?Confused

oh, and Camembert

Swiss= cheese, yodelling , get it?Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 21:09
Hey THomas, I am always moved by the beauty of C'EST LA VIEThumbs%20Up!!  n'est ce pas?

But all the songs listed are (more or less) good; nothing wrong to be cheesy sometimes. 

Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 21:28
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Hey THomas, I am always moved by the beauty of C'EST LA VIEThumbs%20Up!!  n'est ce pas?

But all the songs listed are (more or less) good; nothing wrong to be cheesy sometimes. 

It's often served with gourmet dinners, as an ideal way to finish off a sumptuous meal, a glass of vintage port in hand. Can't live with experimental/RIO/Zeuhl all the time. LOL A little simple treat from time to time, in secret, guilty pleasures. A taste of Bungle in the Jungle can be really  Cool

-------------

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 22:38
Either Moonlight Shadow by Oldfield or Hocus Pocus by Focus.  Crises is a great album, 1 side of prog epic, 1 side of good pop songs.

And before opening it, I thought this poll would be about Camembert Electrique vs. some random album with "brie" in the title. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:01
Kayliegh is my sentimental favourite,but Hocus Pocus is a killer track!

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:04
I love C'est La Vie, and don't find it cheesy at all.

Brie.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: April 26 2008 at 23:39
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

I don't know if Heat of the Moment is really a progressive rock tune per se (unlike some other songs on that album, which definitely are proggy), but its an outstanding rock song, catchy, melodic and smooth. I find nothing cheesy about it, its just a good pop tune which fit the era well. In fact, same could be said for Owner of a Lonely Heart. Now you want some cheese, check out some Spandau Ballet, some Loverboy, some Air Supply, and most of the hair metal bands of the 80s. THAT is cheese.

Don't you mean Owner of a Sh**ty Fart?LOL

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 01:34
Moonlight Shadow is great
I´m really getting sick of this word "cheesy", anything that is popular is cheesy?

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 01:34

Agree with this.  Maybe not quite Stilton but a bludy good 'song' nonetheless.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 05:05
It was the heat of the vomit, owner of spoken fart, we don't need no education (well, how about some grammar lessons LOL...

Hey, I actually remember Hocus Pocus getting air play as a little kid before I turned into a zombie prog pod person.  Probably qualifies as the first prog music I got into.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 06:02
I don't like anything else by Asia but I love Heat of the Moment.

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: kenmartree
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 06:53
Come on you guys, it's Oder of a smelly fartShocked

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 07:31
Mike Oldfield: Moonlight Shadow....Approve

I think its a great song....Embarrassed

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 07:40
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Mike Oldfield: Moonlight Shadow....Approve

I think its a great song....Embarrassed

Obviously a meaning of the word 'great' of which i had been previously unaware (to paraphrase Douglas Adams).

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 07:45
Bungle in the Jungle.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 11:55
Bungle in the Jungle. I also genuinely like Kayleigh, Moonlight Shadow and Hocus Pocus, and I can't honestly say that I dislike any of the selections on your list.

As for cheese:

Yourfingeronthetriggerandyourbodyburningup - CAMEMBERT ELECTRIQUE!

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 12:00
I am not surprised that Sister Jane got no votes. This Tai Phong "hit" was very popular in pre-disco days on the dance floor , especially in the arms of a babe Cool (called a slow, back then, vying with Whiter Shade of Pale and Nights in White Satin!) . Does anyone out there know this tune?

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 12:10
I like "Bungle in the Jungle" and "Hocus Pocus" considerably.  That cheesy Focus track is not amongst my favourite Focus tracks though (and I prefer the similar "Harem Scarem" which tried to capitalise on the success of "Hocus Pocus."

A cheesy track I like muchly that didn't make the cut is Primus' "Seas of Cheese."

And, just cause I like to say it, who cut LaBrie?

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 22:56
Moonlight Shadow is doing well, considering its name is wrong in the list.  I second the motion that it is a great song, although its clone followup, "Crime of Passion", sung by Barry Palmer, was even better.  I know and like Sister Jane but , although I loved it for a while, I'm kinda sick of it, although I'm still a big fan of the album it's from.  Hocus Pocus is great, although the single version  far inferior.  Kayleigh, Bungle in the Jungle, Another Brick, and Evil Woman are fine songs too.  C'est La Vie, Heat of the Moment, and Owner of a Lonely Heart are all at the bottom, but still decent.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 23:13

I am not surprised that Sister Jane got no votes. This Tai Phong "hit" was very popular in pre-disco days on the dance floor , especially in the arms of a babe Cool (called a slow, back then, vying with Whiter Shade of Pale and Nights in White Satin!) . Does anyone out there know this tune?

Yes i do remember this band: very big hit it was indeed,SISTER JANE. This French band gave us JEAN JACQUES GOLDMAN who became later a huge star in the ''Francophonie''......nothing prog anyway.Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk