For me is :

1 - Syd Barrett

2 - Daevid Allen

3 - Robert Wyatt

Thumbs%20Up

Replies:
Posted By: febus
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 09:55
''GENIUS'' is such an over the top word!
Every fanboy/girl here will consider his/her favorite artist as a genius.
I do like a few names listed here a lot,especially Wyatt and Fripp but calling them ''genius''.....????? they play music that touches me, but i am not going to build a shrine in my yard dedicated to them.Big%20smile

so no vote!

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 09:58
Do I have to say which one I voted for? LOLLOL

I will anyway.

LONG LIVE CHRISTIAN VANDER!!

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:09
tough call, I would probably go with either Wyatt or Hammill.

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:32
I have to choose between Vander and Fripp?! Well, I can't say who I like more or who is better, but I guess Fripp would be closer to a "genius" after looking at some of his more complex and intricate compositions. Vander is just awesome as hell.

Posted By: Proteus
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:46
I voted Fripp, but only because the other "geniuses" weren't in the poll.

Michael Hedges was a genius. You get the impression in listening to him that he could have picked up any instrument and had his way with it. A guitar just happened to be there.

-------------
-P

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:51
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

''GENIUS'' is such an over the top word!
Every fanboy/girl here will consider his/her favorite artist as a genius.

I do like a few names listed here a lot,especially Wyatt and Fripp but calling them ''genius''.....????? they play music that touches me, but i am not going to build a shrine in my yard dedicated to them.Big%20smile

so no vote!

I'm inclined to agree. It's a difficult term to define. One dictionary definition is 'someone of extraordianry talent or intellect' but then you have to define 'extraordinary' What is the measure; the benchmark? Clapton is often heralded as a genius, but is this judgement based on his technical merit, his songwriting ability or his mass popularity?

I would probably have trouble arguing that Mozart wasn't a genius, as he was composing piano concertos with a grasp on musical theory at such a young age, which was remarkable, and as far as I'm aware, unprecedented.

When it comes to the likes of Syd Barret, is he really a genius, or did he just have some good and original ideas before anyine else, at a time when rock music was naturally developing and 'progressing' anyway?

I mean no disrespect to anyones heroes, here, but is the term banded a bout a little too freely?

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:14
This poll has one obvious omission.

Me.

Tongue

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:57
it all depends on the definition, but why should progressive rock not have a genius? Hammill, Vander, Wyatt or Fripp would probably be good choices; they all made some very complex music. I'd probably go with Hammill, since he definitely also has a knack for lyrics

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 12:49
Fripp has gone in too many directions and has been sucessful in all in my opinion.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:02
I would define genius in this sense to mean exceptionally creative.  We have a number of my favourite artists here (Wyatt, Vander, Fripp, Allen, Hammill, Hillage -- though I prefer his work in Khan and Gong to solo -- and Barrett at one time); it's a good list for my tastes, and these are undoubtedly creative artists.  I lean towards Vander and Fripp for innovation, but... Must think more about it.

So I'll treat genius (which can mean exceptionally creative) as being a true visionary.  I might go with Vander for creating his mythology, but then Allen is considered a real visionary with his "philosophical" bent, and Syd Barrett had visions (feel like quoting "Shine on You Crazy Diamond").  No vote at this time.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:10
I m glad no one mentioned Pertucci for this one.

Hold on a sec , There´s no Frank Zappa as a choice!!!!!!! How can this be!!

Posted By: Grimfurg
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:32
What my avatar thinks.

-------------
http://regulab.bandcamp.com/album/vol-i/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:35
GREG LAKE

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: Dr. Prog
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:37
where is Jon Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Andrew Latimer, Steven Wilson and Kerry Livgren?

out of that list, Robert Fripp easily. The creativity and complexity of his compositions and guitar playing, the breadth of his vision and his incredible influence on progressive music are unmatched.

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:41
Fripp on a "first past the post" voting system, but Wyatt gets a vote too, if its PR.....! 

Posted By: Relayer09
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 14:25
Since Frank Zappa wasn't a choice, I had to give the nod to Fripp because of his innovation.

-------------
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb

Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 14:56
^Frank Zappa is a good one, and Don van Vliet (Captain Beefheart).

Originally posted by Dr. Prog Dr. Prog wrote:

where is Jon Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Andrew Latimer, Steven Wilson and Kerry Livgren?

I much prefer Seamus' list.  It's just his list, though, which does show preference.  He may not even know all of your choices.  I usually include an 'other' option for any other choices, but nothing wrong with a set list.

Your list against his, with the the stipulation that people must be familiar with all of them, or at least the majority of artists that make up both choices (yours and his), would make for an interesting poll (might rephrase the question, though, to "more innovative," "more progressive" etc. group of artists).  Could even be, for fun, whose list is more ingenious, "Dr. Prog's or Seamus' 'genius' list?" Wink

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Dr. Prog
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 14:58
^^^^^
I wasn't suggesting to replace those names for his, just adding additional names from other genres of prog that weren't listed.

Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 15:41
DP: I recognise that you were suggesting those as additional names, and not as replacements. You did ask, though, "where is...?" which can imply that you would expect them to be listed as well, or it was an error of omission not to include them. That's why I usually include an "other" option in polls.  Funnily enough, even when I've done that in polls, and expressed in a post additionally that people should vote other for any appropriate omissions, I've still had people saying "where is so-and-so?" In this case, I wouldn't say those names should be here anymore than a great many other names (and less than some from my POV, but personal taste is a factor).

I still think it would be a fun idea to pit your list against his, especially if a few more would come up with their own lists.  Of course the later someone came in, the more at a disadvantage if they couldn't repeat others choices.

If it were my list, I might have mentioned Schulze, Wakhevitch, Frith, Zappa, van Vliet, Pinhas, Greaves, Paganotti, Mantler, McLaughlin, Jenkins, Cutler, Grigsby etc.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 16:17
From this list: Robert Fripp.

Otherwise: Brian Wilson.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: May 13 2008 at 19:42
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Do I have to say which one I voted for? LOLLOL

I will anyway.

LONG LIVE CHRISTIAN VANDER!!

LOLLOLLOL
'Nuff saidClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 23:05
Can I ask why Zappa isnt in this poll?... I wouldt have still voted for Fripp, but he is not far behind!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 23:20
Prog is the genius when you think of it ! and the musicians who believe in it simply play the notes as if coming from heaven, divine inspiration and they are only the conduits or the messengers. Both Vander and Fripp have commented that they are only vehicles for inspiration and as such, Wink  willing slaves to the master.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk