Print Page | Close Window

What makes Progressive Metal progressive?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Blogs
Forum Description: Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49371
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 05:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What makes Progressive Metal progressive?
Posted By: Certif1ed
Subject: What makes Progressive Metal progressive?
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 08:40

Thinking and wondering, making no attempt to actually answer the question, by Certif1ed. 12th June 2008.

When you browse for definitions of Progressive Metal on the Internet, there is a veritable bombardment of differing opinions – not one actually answers the question – but some things remain constant. These are the most critical aspects of the genre, most sites would have you believe - and these are also the very things that lead to confusion when exploring the genre.

Firstly, it is very common to come across references to blending Progressive Rock with Heavy Metal, giving the newcomer the impression that what they are going to hear is a Metallised version of Prog Rock.

This is almost never the case, however, and certainly not the case with the bands most often named as defining the genre. A statement like "Blending Progressive Rock with Heavy Metal" in itself shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what makes Progressive Rock tick, when you compare defining bands of the two genres, such as Genesis and Dream Theater. Such a statement positively invites such a comparison, as ridiculous as the comparison itself may seem - which points out the fundamental flaw in the statement itself. What is happening is not a blending, rather it is a simple acquisition of some of the basic elements.

Let’s pose a simple question based on this statement.

Which Progressive Rock band do Queensryche or Dream Theater remind you of?

Now think of another Prog Metal band – which Progressive Rock act are they similar to?

The Progressive Metal fan will probably say something like “Yes, but if it sounded the same, it wouldn’t be Progressive”.

A fair point, on the surface, but one would really expect a few similarities to leap out, rather than have them pointed out to you (and often, still be none the wiser).

Here is where our friend will reel off a list of elements that bear a superficial resemblance, such as time signatures, complex structures and virtuosic musicianship - which vaguaries are trotted out without any substatiation on an all-too frequent basis.

A few things immediately stand out as being fatally flawed with these lists.

1. Going back to elements Part I. This is wrong, because, when you listen to Progressive Rock, you are not listening to the elements, but to freshness in the music – something undefinable that marks the band out as being somehow above and beyond “popular” or “standard” bands. Undoubtedly, there are elements you can pick out – but with Progressive music generally, you would expect there to be a rush (sic) of them, with these elements being atomic to the music rather than incidental building blocks.
  2. Going back to elements part II. The other problem with picking out elements is that you can do that with any band that has used these elements – “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers, for example, is in 13/4 in some parts, and “Bat out of Hell” is not only long, in its original album form, but has a complex structure almost worthy of a Classical composer, and features virtuosic musicians such as Todd Rundgren in its line-up, using “experimental” guitar techniques (to produce the motorbike engine effect, for example) – yet is not considered Prog. Also consider that most of these “Prog Elements” can be found in the Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock - indeed, any Rock band of your choice (with the possible exception of Motley Crue) – and before that, back into the mists of Rock and Roll itself. Listen to the Prog Elements in Del Shannon's work if you don't believe me, the interpretation of Tchaikovsky in "Nutrocker" by B. Bumble and the Stingers, or the use of Classical music as the background arrangement to some of Elvis Presley's songs (e.g. "Wooden Heart"). Elements are, well, elemental, and should never be used as a yardstick by themselves. It’s how these elements are fused together to make the new sounds of a music that sounds distinctly new that’s important. As a good example, try finding a metal album that sounds anything like Metallica’s “Ride the Lightning” prior to 1984. Almost nowhere in metal music will you hear the same attention to detail in the structuring, precision in the riffing and attention to detail in the arrangement, solos and production, and almost nowhere will you hear the same amount of development of ideas, motivic re-use and overall coherency in composition, not to mention variety of ideas on a single album (even if they aren’t all Metallica’s – but that’s a different discussion!). And that's before taking into account their new and innovative usage of the Thrash technique. OK, maybe Megadeth – but you have to admit, their music of the time does sound somewhat archaic in comparison to Metallica's, and the compositions themselves are more rudimentary, despite the relative complexity and quantity of the riffs.
  3. Complex is relative. Intro/verse/chorus, etc. is the backbone of the pop music industry, and widely derided as not complex – and indeed, it is not. Yet most Progressive Metal bands use exactly this structure - although they may elongate it by adding different sections to the bridge (instrumental), in exactly the same way that Deep Purple and Metallica did (as two off-the-cuff examples), rather than get truly experimental or complex in structure as, for example, “On Reflection” by Gentle Giant or “The Musical Box” by Genesis, both of which are complex song compositions where the role of verse and chorus are almost completely mixed up or even blurred. Both pale into insignificance besides Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", of course.
  4. Virtuosity is ill-defined and a bad yardstick. To me, Mozart, Paganini and Steve Vai were/are virtuosos, while Tony Iommi simply has some great licks. Call me harsh, but that’s the way I see it. Virtuosity, to me, combines extreme technical skills (and extreme is the key word here, as a differentiator from the huge number of Malmsteen-inspired shredders in the world today – and "extreme" doesn’t simply apply to playing techniques, which are just the showy fireworks, but more to the compostional skills – ie, it ain’t what you’ve got, it’s what you do with it), with a superlative musical approach. Now here’s where I get into trouble – how to substantiate “superlative musical approach” – it’s just something you feel, right? Not exactly – you could, under duress, break it down and see which musical rules are being used and which smashed to ribbons, if you had a week or two spare – but ultimately, if someone’s doing scale practice over 2 chords, it ain’t hard to spot, and it’s not compositionally impressive either. You don’t hear Steve Hackett putting in finger-bleeding solos, and they wouldn’t be right for his music – yet both his solo material and his work with Genesis is at the pinnacle of 1970s Prog Rock, and his style and techniques were innovative – legend has it that he’s the first guitarist to use the 2-hand finger tapping technique so beloved by Eddie Van Halen. So virtuosity in performance and playing technique is not particularly important to Prog in general – it’s about virtuosity in the composition of the music, and producing something genuinely new, which is altogether harder.

So what makes Progressive Metal progressive?

Again, if you browse among the many definitions available (BTW, the ones here at ProgArchives are among (if not) the most flimsy in terms of actual content and vague in terms of actual definition - shying away from it completely), you’ll note that it “brings something new to the table”, “It takes all the predictability and throws it out the window”, as one site puts it.

To be sure, this is not something I have ever experienced with most Prog Metal – almost invariably I am reminded of other bands, and don’t have to look to hard to hear recycling going on, or standard structures being deployed as a general rule, rather than as the exception as these statements would have you believe.

Another site puts this differently; “Progressive music implies constant change” – and yet this rarely happens in most Prog Metal. You get a succession of riffs, like you do in any other form of metal, predictable song structures – maybe mathematically modified, but with little or no sense of development in melody, harmony, form, rhythm or timbre – which are the 5 basic building blocks of music. There aren't any others, trust me - unless you go down to an atomic level, in which case they are infinite.

Instead, there is a preponderance on making one or other of these basic blocks as technically littered as possible – an idea that certainly took shape during the NWoBHM and later Thrash movements (just listen to the debut by Praying Mantis, “Time Tells no Lies” and Metallica’s “Ride the Lightning” for example, although both escape the “building block litter” problem), and is fundamentally inherent in the music of, say Queensryche and Dream Theater – while the fundamental mission statement of Prog Metal is actually overlooked in favour of these elements.

As an occasional writer of music, I have to admit to using this style, as it’s a far easier and straightforward compositional method, and provides flashy results with very little artistic effort.

Even if we compare newer Prog Metal bands with the defining ones (Dream Theater are commonly cited in this respect), we do not actually find progressiveness or progression. For example, while some bands and guitarists have trumped Petrucci with soloing speed, Petrucci himself has yet to write music of a complexity comparable to the likes of Gentle Giant, Magma or King Crimson, instead, preferring the old elongated standard song technique. Very few, if any Prog Metal bands have come close to those giddying heights of compositional complexity and virtuosity.

To date, the only Metal band I’ve heard approach these luminaries on their own terms is Spastic Ink, who seem to get the whole improv+composition thing that made Classic Prog Rock the great body of music it is. Interestingly, they sound like a Metal band, not a Classic Prog Rock band, and yet the music is undoubtedly progressive (one could even get into the whole "elements" thing and be delighted at the sudden rush of bits and pieces that jump out then go down the "virtuosic" or "complex" routes and again find themselves in a goldmine) – even the most die-hard ProgHead would be hard pushed to disagree, as the music itself speaks the language of Metal with an almost overwhelming dialect of Prog. But they seem to stand alone.

Or do they?

The question remains; What makes Progressive Metal progressive?

Or, put another way, Define Progressive Metal, if you can...

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Replies:
Posted By: madtrek
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 09:31
Man, you are by Far a musical taste very very close to my own !!!!
You put in words some concepts that I am trying to for some time, in discussions with friends and musical colleagues ...
When I say that I feels Steve Howe much more virtuous then Satriani ...
Or that I think Eddie Van Halen boring and repetitive ....
I hope this topic brings some controversies ... ;- )

Thanks ...

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 10:20
This is going to be fun ... *looks for a "munching popcorn" emoticon* ... I understand most of your "beef" with Prog Metal, but I'll need some time to come up with an elaborate answer. Just one thing: The current definitions of the three genres were meant to be used preliminarily ... unfortunately I never got around to writing proper ones. I'll definitely get back to that, seeing that it causes that much concern with you.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 12:21
Keyboards and longer songs than normal metal bands. That's about it Wink

But hey, I love the stuff - it's heavy and you can rock out to it while still being in the mood afterwards to spin some Genesis or something like that. I think it's hard to accurately describe any one subgenre and tell about how it sounds perfectly, even artists within subgenres sound wildly different from one another. Complexities as well. Some people hate Dream Theater for being so "pretentious", but hasn't that always been the case ever since ELP and Yes? Sure, they're trying to strut their stuff more than most metal bands, and like it or not I think that makes them progressive in a way since the genre has always been about excellent musicianship even though some people may be turned off by that. Why? I've no idea. Personally I like to hear that kind of thing.

Let's also not forget that prog in general is very subjective. A lot of people in the 70s would have labeled Zeppelin as a prog band and yet the prog heads will not let their genre be tainted by such an act. Prog is hard to define in general - but really, it is or it isn't. Prog metal is prog in a very different way than older acts - they sing about different things (sometimes, I mean - Rush told stories, DT tells stories, Magma told stories, Symphony X tells stories) and they play differently (ELP was "flashy" and so is Ayreon in different ways). It's like trying to compare me directly to my parents - it's just a different generation and therfore impossible to make things black and white.

I hope that makes sense to people other than myself - I've decided that I need to take place in at least one argument LOL

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 12:52
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

When you browse for definitions of Progressive Metal on the Internet, there is a veritable bombardment of differing opinions – not one actually answers the question – but some things remain constant. These are the most critical aspects of the genre, most sites would have you believe - and these are also the very things that lead to confusion when exploring the genre.

Firstly, it is very common to come across references to blending Progressive Rock with Heavy Metal, giving the newcomer the impression that what they are going to hear is a Metallised version of Prog Rock.

Prog Metal exhibits many of the trademarks of Prog Rock ... let's use the time signature change / odd time signature as an obvious example. Now, you might want to scream "foul play!", since for you this might be a superficial element of music, hardly worth to even mention. But to many people it's something which immediately signals "Prog" when heard in a Rock/Metal/Pop context.

BTW: I don't think that Prog Metal is a "Metallised version of Prog Rock". I think it's a completely different kind of music. It's an offspring and obviously related to Prog Rock, but it's not like it's just Prog Rock with heavier guitars. "Heavy Prog" would be a more appropriate label for those bands, and indeed such a genre was created a while ago during the Art Rock split.

This is almost never the case, however, and certainly not the case with the bands most often named as defining the genre. A statement like "Blending Progressive Rock with Heavy Metal" in itself shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what makes Progressive Rock tick, when you compare defining bands of the two genres, such as Genesis and Dream Theater. Such a statement positively invites such a comparison, as ridiculous as the comparison itself may seem - which points out the fundamental flaw in the statement itself. What is happening is not a blending, rather it is a simple acquisition of some of the basic elements.

"What makes Progressive Rock tick" ... wow, that's a very good question indeed. I cannot answer it, and I submit that neither can you. Of course you can list a number of attributes/trademarks, but you could never be sure that those are the ones which really matter to the fans of classic prog rock. The dreaded example from the previous anwser comes into mind here ... I guess I can assume that time signatures are one of the things you mean by "basic elements". Well, those basic elements are the building blocks of all music. Only a very small number of composers/musicians manage to avoid using these building blocks in trivial ways and create truly unique/congenial pieces of music. Most of them - including prog rock artists - "only cook with water" (a German expression). Or in other words: The Prog Rock artists which you usually mention as perfect examples of the genre - and which you use as a benchmark for Prog Metal - are superior not only to Prog Metal, but also to most other Prog Rock artists.

Let’s pose a simple question based on this statement.

Which Progressive Rock band do Queensryche or Dream Theater remind you of?

None. Which is a good thing, since - as I mentioned above - the genres are not that closely related. There are however moments when you can hear the influences quite well. An obvious example would be Dream Theater's epic "Octavarium", which is clearly influenced by Pink Floyd. I know that this doesn't count for you and you'd probably say that they only "aquired the basic elements" - but who's to say which elements matter and which don't?

Now think of another Prog Metal band – which Progressive Rock act are they similar to?

I could mention numerous examples here - but they'd probably all be too basic for you to accept. I'm beginning to see a general pattern here ... whe might be on to something.

The Progressive Metal fan will probably say something like “Yes, but if it sounded the same, it wouldn’t be Progressive”.

I can't speak for others here, but I wouldn't say that at all. "progressive" and "prog" are two different concepts. There are some relations between the two concepts ... usually the good bands are a little bit of both. They're progressive in the true sense of the word (progressing, developing, genre expanding) but they're also rooted in a certain style with certain established boundaries. The classic prog bands are in an unique position here - they defined that style themselves (Yes/Genesis in particular). Modern Prog bands (which includes Prog Metal) are copying the old bands in many ways - they position themselves within the same stylistic boundaries - but many are trying to add new elements to the style (which would be true progression), and others are doing something entirely different (which places them in the niche of Avant-Garde/Experimental). And even those which don't add any innovation to the style still deserve to be called "Prog" because they simply sound like the classic bands. Sure, production has changed, vocal styles have changed a lot (especially metal), spontaneity is almost gone in most cases, structure/form is more rigid and less open ... but there are plenty of qualities which they still have in common with the classic bands.

A fair point, on the surface, but one would really expect a few similarities to leap out, rather than have them pointed out to you (and often, still be none the wiser).

Here is where our friend will reel off a list of elements that bear a superficial resemblance, such as time signatures, complex structures and virtuosic musicianship - which vaguaries are trotted out without any substatiation on an all-too frequent basis.

Isn't this your own subjective opinion ... who are you to say that all these elements are superficial, and only your criteria are valid? Let's keep in mind that by these standards many Prog Rock bands would also lose their prog status. Wouldn't it make more sense to simply say that Dream Theater is much less progressive than Genesis? That would be a statement which I might agree to.

1. Going back to elements Part I. This is wrong, because, when you listen to Progressive Rock, you are not listening to the elements, but to freshness in the music – something undefinable that marks the band out as being somehow above and beyond “popular” or “standard” bands. Undoubtedly, there are elements you can pick out – but with Progressive music generally, you would expect there to be a rush (sic) of them, with these elements being atomic to the music rather than incidental building blocks.
    Different people have different expectations. Note also that you use the word "undefinable" ... I thought that it was all so well defined and obvious to you?
  2. Going back to elements part II. The other problem with picking out elements is that you can do that with any band that has used these elements – “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers, for example, is in 13/4 in some parts, and “Bat out of Hell” is not only long, in its original album form, but has a complex structure almost worthy of a Classical composer, and features virtuosic musicians such as Todd Rundgren in its line-up, using “experimental” guitar techniques (to produce the motorbike engine effect, for example) – yet is not considered Prog. Also consider that most of these “Prog Elements” can be found in the Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock - indeed, any Rock band of your choice (with the possible exception of Motley Crue) – and before that, back into the mists of Rock and Roll itself. Listen to the Prog Elements in Del Shannon's work if you don't believe me, the interpretation of Tchaikovsky in "Nutrocker" by B. Bumble and the Stingers, or the use of Classical music as the background arrangement to some of Elvis Presley's songs (e.g. "Wooden Heart"). Elements are, well, elemental, and should never be used as a yardstick by themselves. It’s how these elements are fused together to make the new sounds of a music that sounds distinctly new that’s important. As a good example, try finding a metal album that sounds anything like Metallica’s “Ride the Lightning” prior to 1984. Almost nowhere in metal music will you hear the same attention to detail in the structuring, precision in the riffing and attention to detail in the arrangement, solos and production, and almost nowhere will you hear the same amount of development of ideas, motivic re-use and overall coherency in composition, not to mention variety of ideas on a single album (even if they aren’t all Metallica’s – but that’s a different discussion!). And that's before taking into account their new and innovative usage of the Thrash technique. OK, maybe Megadeth – but you have to admit, their music of the time does sound somewhat archaic in comparison to Metallica's, and the compositions themselves are more rudimentary, despite the relative complexity and quantity of the riffs.
    Now this is something I agree to whole heartedly. But I fail to see the relevance in regard to Prog Metal. If the point is that something isn't prog just because it features one basic element - then there's no problem because most prog metal bands/albums feature half a dozen of these elements. Of course this isn't a mathematical decision ... but listening to a track like Dream Theater's Pull Me Under (which isn't their most progressive track by any means) I don't have any doubt that what I hear is "Prog".
  3. Complex is relative. Intro/verse/chorus, etc. is the backbone of the pop music industry, and widely derided as not complex – and indeed, it is not. Yet most Progressive Metal bands use exactly this structure - although they may elongate it by adding different sections to the bridge (instrumental), in exactly the same way that Deep Purple and Metallica did (as two off-the-cuff examples), rather than get truly experimental or complex in structure as, for example, “On Reflection” by Gentle Giant or “The Musical Box” by Genesis, both of which are complex song compositions where the role of verse and chorus are almost completely mixed up or even blurred. Both pale into insignificance besides Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", of course.
    Please keep in mind that most Prog Rock tracks are also adhering to this basic principle. Like I pointed out above: You can't use the pinnacle, the holy grail of Prog Rock composition as a benchmark for Prog Metal. Well, of course you *can*, but it doesn't make much sense IMHO.
  4. Virtuosity is ill-defined and a bad yardstick. To me, Mozart, Paganini and Steve Vai were/are virtuosos, while Tony Iommi simply has some great licks. Call me harsh, but that’s the way I see it. Virtuosity, to me, combines extreme technical skills (and extreme is the key word here, as a differentiator from the huge number of Malmsteen-inspired shredders in the world today – and "extreme" doesn’t simply apply to playing techniques, which are just the showy fireworks, but more to the compostional skills – ie, it ain’t what you’ve got, it’s what you do with it), with a superlative musical approach. Now here’s where I get into trouble – how to substantiate “superlative musical approach” – it’s just something you feel, right? Not exactly – you could, under duress, break it down and see which musical rules are being used and which smashed to ribbons, if you had a week or two spare – but ultimately, if someone’s doing scale practice over 2 chords, it ain’t hard to spot, and it’s not compositionally impressive either. You don’t hear Steve Hackett putting in finger-bleeding solos, and they wouldn’t be right for his music – yet both his solo material and his work with Genesis is at the pinnacle of 1970s Prog Rock, and his style and techniques were innovative – legend has it that he’s the first guitarist to use the 2-hand finger tapping technique so beloved by Eddie Van Halen. So virtuosity in performance and playing technique is not particularly important to Prog in general – it’s about virtuosity in the composition of the music, and producing something genuinely new, which is altogether harder.
    Virtuosity is - to me - one of the main "ingredients" of Prog Metal which makes up for the lack of spontaneity and "freshness" (as you put it above). Of course I'm well aware that this doesn't work for all people ... but it doesn't have to. You don't have to like Prog Metal, just like you don't have to like styles which are extreme in other ways.

So what makes Progressive Metal progressive?

What makes Progressive Rock progressive? You still haven't answered that question to begin with ... at least not in a way which could be accepted by everyone. Most people cannot analyze music the way you do, so what makes you believe that they would adopt your definitions? People like philippe would probably not even accept Genesis as a progressive band ... it's all relative and subjective.

Again, if you browse among the many definitions available (BTW, the ones here at ProgArchives are among (if not) the most flimsy in terms of actual content and vague in terms of actual definition - shying away from it completely), you’ll note that it “brings something new to the table”, “It takes all the predictability and throws it out the window”, as one site puts it.

I wasn't "shying away" from writing proper definitions ... I simply never got around to writing them, which is something I'm not proud of, but it couldn't be helped.

To be sure, this is not something I have ever experienced with most Prog Metal – almost invariably I am reminded of other bands, and don’t have to look to hard to hear recycling going on, or standard structures being deployed as a general rule, rather than as the exception as these statements would have you believe.

A couple of paragraphs earlier you dared us prog metal fans to name some prog metal bands which remind of prog rock bands, and now you're "almost invariably" reminded of them when you listen to prog metal? What's it going to be?

Another site puts this differently; “Progressive music implies constant change” – and yet this rarely happens in most Prog Metal. You get a succession of riffs, like you do in any other form of metal, predictable song structures – maybe mathematically modified, but with little or no sense of development in melody, harmony, form, rhythm or timbre – which are the 5 basic building blocks of music. There aren't any others, trust me - unless you go down to an atomic level, in which case they are infinite.

Not all Prog (Rock or Metal) is "progressive music" ... I thought we had sorted that out a few dozen threads ago.Wink

Instead, there is a preponderance on making one or other of these basic blocks as technically littered as possible – an idea that certainly took shape during the NWoBHM and later Thrash movements (just listen to the debut by Praying Mantis, “Time Tells no Lies” and Metallica’s “Ride the Lightning” for example, although both escape the “building block litter” problem), and is fundamentally inherent in the music of, say Queensryche and Dream Theater – while the fundamental mission statement of Prog Metal is actually overlooked in favour of these elements.

I agree that this "technical littering" does happen in prog metal. Sometimes bands seem to try to introduce technical complexity which does not add anything to the substance of the music. But whether that's the case or not is again a subjective matter.

As an occasional writer of music, I have to admit to using this style, as it’s a far easier and straightforward compositional method, and provides flashy results with very little artistic effort.

And why not indeed ... most listeners won't be able to tell the difference. You may place form above all other criteria ... I don't. For me the ultimate criterium is whether the music appeals to me on a personal, emotional level ... and few bands achieve that, regardless of genre. The second movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony appeals to me very much, as do Kevin Gilbert's - The Shaming of the True, Dream Theater - Learning to Live, Genesis - Cinema Show and Karrin Allyson's renditions of John Coltrane ballads.

Music is judged on an emotional level ... it's as simple as that.Smile

Even if we compare newer Prog Metal bands with the defining ones (Dream Theater are commonly cited in this respect), we do not actually find progressiveness or progression. For example, while some bands and guitarists have trumped Petrucci with soloing speed, Petrucci himself has yet to write music of a complexity comparable to the likes of Gentle Giant, Magma or King Crimson, instead, preferring the old elongated standard song technique. Very few, if any Prog Metal bands have come close to those giddying heights of compositional complexity and virtuosity.

Since you keep repeating yourself, I will too: Most Prog Rock bands also fail to achieve these giddying heights. But there are some Prog Metal artists which - IMO - come very close ... in the next weeks I'll introduce more sub ratings at Ratingfreak.com which I'll use to mark these albums in my collection ... then I can post them here for you to tear them to pieces.Wink

To date, the only Metal band I’ve heard approach these luminaries on their own terms is Spastic Ink, who seem to get the whole improv+composition thing that made Classic Prog Rock the great body of music it is. Interestingly, they sound like a Metal band, not a Classic Prog Rock band, and yet the music is undoubtedly progressive (one could even get into the whole "elements" thing and be delighted at the sudden rush of bits and pieces that jump out then go down the "virtuosic" or "complex" routes and again find themselves in a goldmine) – even the most die-hard ProgHead would be hard pushed to disagree, as the music itself speaks the language of Metal with an almost overwhelming dialect of Prog. But they seem to stand alone.

Or do they?

Not at all. You could listen to Blotted Science (also a Ron Jarzombek project) or the Art Metal album by Jonas Hellborg, Mattias IA Eklundh et al.. Like I said above: I'll compile a more lengthy list and post it here when it's finished. One sub rating I'm planning to introduce is "Substance". I was inspired by a record label named "Recordings of Substance" and I think that this is one of the criteria it all boils down to: How much substance is in the music ... and how much of it has been "artificially inflated" by clever composition techniques.

The question remains; What makes Progressive Metal progressive?

Or, put another way, Define Progressive Metal, if you can...

I'll try to improve the definitions on the website, but I think that there can't be a definitive answer to this question, and neither can Prog Rock be defined properly and beyond all doubts and disagreements. All we can do is to post comments like those in this thread, so that they might be of help for the interested reader to answer these questions - and make the definitions - for themselves.

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 14:31

2. Going back to elements part II. The other problem with picking out elements is that you can do that with any band that has used these elements – “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers, for example, is in 13/4 in some parts, and “Bat out of Hell” is not only long, in its original album form, but has a complex structure almost worthy of a Classical composer, and features virtuosic musicians such as Todd Rundgren in its line-up, using “experimental” guitar techniques (to produce the motorbike engine effect, for example) – yet is not considered Prog.
    The Stranglers are not considered to be prog by most (most people file them under "Punk"), but certainly by Jean and me. Not only do they use such odd riffs as you mentioned, they use real polyphony too. Now if that is not a true mark of progressive rock (it is a technique most progressive bands don't even master) then what is? "Black and White", for example, is a full-fledged prog album. If you don't believe it, listen to it again with open ears and without any prejudices. The "Punk" sticker was just put on them for commercial reasons.
  3. Complex is relative. Intro/verse/chorus, etc. is the backbone of the pop music industry, and widely derided as not complex – and indeed, it is not.
    Yet 90% of prog rock consist of the same formula.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: burtonrulez
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:10
Since the arguments from both sides have been very convincingly made, and MikeEnRegalia has mentioned a few points I would have made, I will add something totally different to the table (does that make me prog LOL) neither for or against the argument.

A major problem in these debates is over-genrifying. We tend to see, even if we don't realise it, genres as boxes. Metal, for example could be a box, wiht several other boxes inside of it such as thrash, death sludge etc. These boxes may occasionally overlap, but mostly music stays to its own genre box. But how do we define progressive music using this metaphor? Taking into account of a lot of opinions I've heard, Prog Rock would be a box, it's own genre. It would have slight overlaps into other boxes, which is where, of course, Prog Metal comes in: an overlap of the Prog Rock box and the Metal box. On the other hand, progressive music, music that progresses, would be a kind of entity, that could move freely through the boxes, and aim to make the boxes wider. Indeed it would add boxes, and increase the field of music.

But that metaphor does not satisfy me. I like to think of music genres as a field, or possibly an ocean. There are no boundaries, only yard sticks dotted about as 'refference points'. And this is my real point: musical genres as REFERENCE POINTS: a useful device for music lovers to describe music to each other, not boxes, constantly at war, with people confusing this box for that, leading to arguments such as this. Music can move between these yard sticks, making alliances (and sometimes unfortunately enemies). Music can voyage throughout the endless field, to unexplored places, proudly placing new yard sticks. This is, in my opinion, true progression. Where does prog metal fit into this? Well that's for you to decide.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

This is going to be fun ... *looks for a "munching popcorn" emoticon* ....

I've got mine hahahha

*munch munch munch*

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:22
It's kind of difficult to attempt to define one language using another language, isn't it?

I don't have the same theorical knowledge here to be able to speak from a purely musical point of view. Yet I think an entirely musical point of view is, well, more auditive (is there such a word in English?) than explainable in words.

There are elements that we can recognize in what we call progressive-metal that don't exist in 90% of the rest of metal bands in the planet. It's been argued with much intelligence that those aren't vital elements and that they shouldn't be used to define a band or a song as "progressive-metal".

But there are things to consider:

One, 95% of the people that listen to metal and rock don't have the advanced knowledge to easily tell thematic development or harmonic changes in a way that leaves no questions subsiding. What it's always mentioned as one of the pinnacles of prog-rock thematic-development/form expertiments, "the Musical Box", it's a difficult song to grasp for the non-expert listener, and for many (whose opinion we CANNOT discard) it's not more than instrumental pretentious gibberish. "After all", we could say, "it still is a very inferior piece of music compared to, say, Mahler's sixth."

So the small percentage that CAN tell all those minor musical details in "the Musical box" should be, apparently, the ones in charge of defining what "progressive" is and whether if progressive-metal really exists. Granted, they may be more qualified.

But music is not as simple as, say, mathematics, where rules and results will always be the same. No EXACT definitions can be attempted of a subgenre of an art that is so universal. Hell, people have been having problems to deinfe what MUSIC is in the first place, for centuries now...

So we go back to trying to define progressive-metal by using parameters that just a minority, even in the progressive-rock world, can easily understand. And we left outside probably the biggest tool people (and I) use to decide whether something is X or Y,

The brain. Free of preconceived notions and squares, the only thing it can do is COMPARE.

And for many, if not all of us, what we use to decide whether a band plays progressive-metal or not is just poor old COMPARISON. And to COMPARE, the structures that our lovely brain uses are those that we already know, granted, those minor details like time signatures, virtuosism, length, orchestration, and maybe for some of us, a little bit of harmonic-development and form/structure. That's what we have engraved in our brains from the moment we were born in the gene/meme heritage of centuries of development of western music. And from the moment we are born, that's what we all can easily tell. Of course, for many people that's an area left untouched as they don't want (and they don't NEED, for music doesn't have to have the same objective for everybody) to get into further details that "this melody sounds nice" or "I can dance to this beat".

But pretty much all of us here in PA have better-than-average COMPARISON-skills than the rest because we have heard much more music, of much more varied genres, and some us have tried to at least get some kind of minor musical amateur-education. But still, the tool we use the most is plain simple comparison.

And when I compare progressive-metal bands with regular metal bands, I CAN very easily make the difference. As most of us do. We may be using the "wrong" elements to make our "decisions", but we KNOW when a band is playing progressive-metal and when a band is not.

Hell, this argument would probably collapse in a music academy or something of the sorts. In those places, people mostly learn how to write music. And they get better tools to judge it from a purely ACADEMIC point of view.

But we all can judge music in our own ways. We;ve been trained to do it so since centuries ago. And we CAN recognize A from B.

Progressive-metal is what most of us think it is. Don't attempt to define it in words. It's a concept as difuse as what "progressive" is, but believe me, it's crystal clear in our minds.

Prog-metal not really prog because it's not in the same vein of Genesis or VDGG? Hell, it doesn't have to be! For most of us who have heard a lot of different metal subgenres and bands (many of them atrocious) from years now, it's quite evident what is progressive metal and what's not.

Need theorical evidence? Well, you won't get it.

I'd say that, for mere musical enjoyment, you don't need it.

So yes, for informational purposes, we have to have a good progressive-metal definition. While flawed, Mike's it's not bad. But in general, it's just that, a definition. Our enjoyment of the muisc and whether we think it's progressive or not, it will still be a personal decision.

If someone uderstand what the hell I just said, please, be my guest in trying to "define" it. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by burtonrulez burtonrulez wrote:

Since the arguments from both sides have been very convincingly made, and MikeEnRegalia has mentioned a few points I would have made, I will add something totally different to the table (does that make me prog LOL) neither for or against the argument.

A major problem in these debates is over-genrifying. We tend to see, even if we don't realise it, genres as boxes. Metal, for example could be a box, wiht several other boxes inside of it such as thrash, death sludge etc. These boxes may occasionally overlap, but mostly music stays to its own genre box. But how do we define progressive music using this metaphor? Taking into account of a lot of opinions I've heard, Prog Rock would be a box, it's own genre. It would have slight overlaps into other boxes, which is where, of course, Prog Metal comes in: an overlap of the Prog Rock box and the Metal box. On the other hand, progressive music, music that progresses, would be a kind of entity, that could move freely through the boxes, and aim to make the boxes wider. Indeed it would add boxes, and increase the field of music.

But that metaphor does not satisfy me. I like to think of music genres as a field, or possibly an ocean. There are no boundaries, only yard sticks dotted about as 'refference points'. And this is my real point: musical genres as REFERENCE POINTS: a useful device for music lovers to describe music to each other, not boxes, constantly at war, with people confusing this box for that, leading to arguments such as this. Music can move between these yard sticks, making alliances (and sometimes unfortunately enemies). Music can voyage throughout the endless field, to unexplored places, proudly placing new yard sticks. This is, in my opinion, true progression. Where does prog metal fit into this? Well that's for you to decide.

*voice from the off: "think outside the box!"*LOL

Of course you'll know that on my website I think primarily in "tags". Everything's a tag, including genres and progressiveness. Tags - as I use them - have primarily two advantages:
  1. You can assign any number of them to a piece of music. You don't have to decide which box to put something in - if it belongs to two genres then you simply attach two sticky notes to it, for example one reading "Prog" and the other reading "Rock" or "Metal". And if you can't decide - simply assign both "Rock" or "Metal" - if it's both then it's both.
  2. Tags are inherently simple and easy to understand. Well, a few tags need directions in order to be used properly, but the point is that each tag is one separate property of music. For example, there's a tag "Symphonic" ... in order to use it you need to have some idea what "symphonic" means, but if you do then you should not have any problems deciding which piece of music to assign it to. That way very complex "constellation" boil down to simple tag assignments. Take the (not so) recent Art Rock split as an example: Heavy Prog, Eclectic Prog, Crossover Prog. What if something is equally heavy, eclectic or crossover? With tags you simply assign what's appropriate, and in the end the combination of tags (sticky notes) on the album will make sense. Even if there are 20 tags assigned to an album it will still be simple and easy to understand.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:27
Prog metal = more complex metal. It may not be the f**king Rite of Spring, but it's more complex than....i dunno, whatever metal isn't complex (I can't think of bands because I don't listen to the genre.)

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:30
^ no discussion of progressivness would be complete without someone mentioning that piece by Stravinski ... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:32
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Prog metal = more complex metal. It may not be the f**king Rite of Spring, but it's more complex than....i dunno, whatever metal isn't complex (I can't think of bands because I don't listen to the genre.)

A simple, non-academic but useful anyway (our brain uses that one instead of the other one) definition...

Did I mention Mike has a website? WinkLOLTongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:34
Mike has a website? Shocked

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:35
^ the place where Metallica - Master of Puppets is listed as a prog album.Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:36
This website you speak of....it must be the El Dorado of websites. I can't find it anywhere. Does it have the fountain of youth?

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:41
re: What makes Progressive Metal progressive? Fredrik Thordendal o:)

I know your review of Meshuggah's Catch 33 but I think this album should underpin the modern defition of Prog Metal (moreso than Dream Theater which are still tied to old things) even though it is clearly distinct from Prog Rock. I think your dismissing of the genre as a whole is valid but misleading; they're two different scenes.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:43

^ the place where Metallica - Master of Puppets is listed as a prog album.Big%20smile

ahhh.. thought I had heard of it once or twice LOLClap

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 15:49
^^ there are many more prog metal albums which are both progressive and innovative ... each in its own unique way. An obvious example would be Cynic - Focus. Psychotic Waltz - Into the Everflow is a hidden gem, and from the more melodic albums I could mention Ice Age - The Great Divide and Heaven's Cry - Primal Power Addiction. Actually the list is endless ... you only need to look past the obvious examples. Even some of the "big names" hold some pleasant surprises ... for example Queensryche - Promised Land.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 16:10

^^ there are many more prog metal albums which are both progressive and innovative ... each in its own unique way. An obvious example would be Cynic - Focus. Psychotic Waltz - Into the Everflow is a hidden gem, and from the more melodic albums I could mention Ice Age - The Great Divide and Heaven's Cry - Primal Power Addiction. Actually the list is endless ... you only need to look past the obvious examples. Even some of the "big names" hold some pleasant surprises ... for example Queensryche - Promised Land.

Great examples. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has Ice Age - The Great Divide. It's sad when bands with that potential dissappear... fantastic albumClap

And your little-advertised website's Wink inclusion of Metallica's MOP as prog metal just requires a ClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 16:12
^ In fact opinion is divided on the subject ... you're welcome to help cement the prog status.Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: reality
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 17:18
I just do not use the word "Progressive" it in itself is very unprogressive and just about meaningless. When did such subjective things as virtuosity come to define a genre? Or how long a song was or the use of time signatures (in a broad sense)? "Prog" to me was what they incorporated for influence; you had two main sides, the Jazz and the Classical (mostly Classical or Baroque - Metal itself has always been influenced by the Romantic period). Jazz influenced bands had a certain sound where the rhythm was disjointed from the melody and bass and drums took the lead with everything playing off them. No matter how diverse this was a unifying sound and very distinctive. The other is the Classical (mostly big C as metal before Randy Roads and into the 90's had a solid Vivaldi base with a Romantic overlay interspersed with blues -Neo classical was independently (of Prog) augmented into the metal repertoire from early 80's on) which I do not have to explain.

Bottom-line "Prog" should have a specific sound that defines it as a genre, a certain style, a certain arrangement, a certain series of non exclusive influences yet molded in an exclusive way. The law should be if you have to argue whether it is "Prog" or not, it is safe to say it is not "Prog".

Compare to the easily discernible Metal definition: Guitar and riff based - non dance music with often use of distortion, Heavy and emotional sound and content, precision over loose play with bass and drums and guitar often playing in unison. Length of song N/A, Complexity of song N/A, Complexity of composition N/A, Virtuosity N/A. Songs can be long or short, complex or simple - as long as they have a Riff system, use Guitars, bass and a drum kit, does not make you dance and without a single doubt sounds like Metal and its specific influence (as well as mold itself to the metal culture) it is metal. litmus test: AC/DC is not metal because you can "boogie" to it, same thing with Van Halen. Prog has this conceited "is it more complex than anything else or is it strange and weird" test that makes absolutely no sense.

I declare there is no "Prog Metal" at all unless specifically designed to incorporate other genres in a distinctive sense, thus it should be called "Metal Fusion everything else is just metal.

Remember if it sounds like Metal it is Metal, If it sounds like Prog we will wallow in our own self delusion and argue aimlessly until our Ego's leave us so utterly confused that we pat ourselves on the back for the complexity of our intellectualism and stubbornly resist the futility of maintain the initial argument. Or we could decide what Prog sounds like (what a genre is for) and make it simple, but that would not be Prog would it.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 18:47
^The only problem with that is that prog doesnt have a single specific sound. I've said it before, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Camel, ELP, Soft Machine, Caravan, Gong, Kraftwork, Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul II, Rush, Kansas etc all sounded rather different to each other, making your assertion that "Bottom-line "Prog" should have a specific sound that defines it as a genre, a certain style, a certain arrangement, a certain series of non exclusive influences yet molded in an exclusive way." simply wrong because it was flase before the term prog was ever coined.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 01:06
First of all if you can not tell a genre by the way it sounds, it is a lousy attempt at a genre and should be redefined.

Second, if you would have read what I had written, you would have understood what I was saying! You can classify the classic "Prog" sound by its core influences, whether it be Jazz or Classical (big C) there was a specific vibe culturally that they all took from (one well of inspiration). If you listen to Yes, Genesis, Van der Graf Generator (Pink Floyd came a few years before so had a different approach) Gentle Giant all have a similar central focus. They have what is known as the "classic" Prog sound, some instrumentation maybe a little different and some may take things a bit further than others, but its core is exactly the same. When Genesis first heard King Crimson they changed their sound to emulate it and at its core they did. Thus King Crimson would be the original template and Genesis would be the Genre.

Litmus test: Have someone listen to Yes - Yes album, Gentle Giant - any album, Genesis - 2nd album to before their pop music revelations and finally a Leonard Skynard album. Now ask them by sound alone (not length of songs or musicianship) which album does not belong? Guess what, just by sound you can link those bands together, because they have the same core.

Bands like Soft Machine, Caravan, Gong, come from what should be a separate genre than classic Prog, all three deeply intwined in a psychedelic /Jazz base. Some brought out more tendencies than others but had a specific sound that is distinguishable.

As for Krautrock as it is affectionately known, everybody should know that there was a very different vibe growing independently in Germany at the time, quite dissimilar to England. The sound came from very different sources(although originally motivated by psychedelia of the mid to late 60's it moved on) and had different reasons for being. All "Krautrock" has a similar sound based on the same core ideas, you can take the names out and tell by just your ears. Krautrock should be a separate Genre away from classic Prog.

Here is where the confusion comes in, genres generally come after movements have ended, just because music was in the same loosely established movement does not mean it is now in the same genre. Genres form with the advent of your clone bands after the movement had been slowed. An example is the so called power metal movement; Helloween and Savatage were in the same movement although they did not sound that similar. Disciples of Helloween (sounds like a tribute band) started replicating their sound, enter clone bands, and then after, there became the established genre of Power metal. Savatage after that was rarely considered power metal and now has created an original sound that defies genre (though once the clone bands attach, it will become one).

So by the mid 70's you had three or four distinctive unrelated sounds in the progressive movement as a whole. Genres formed by clone bands to each individual distinct sound and then the movement died. These three or four sounds were part of the movement, but certainly not part of the same genre! Whoever put them together that way is foolish!

Step forward to today, where the majority of the bands have clone tendencies. Why? Because it is called a "revival" and not a new movement. You find a band who has influences and they do not cross sounds that much. Yes and Genesis are usually side by side on the influence list, just the same as Caravan and Gong and they do not usually mix - because they are different sounds than the Yes and Genesis sound. Are you starting to get what genre actually means?

The problem is that people have refused to acknowledge that the Progressive rock movement has stopped, and now they have turned the movement into an unclassifiable pseudo genre. I digress.

The point at hand is "Progressive metal" should be bands that fuse the sound of Classic Prog with the tenets of metal. Bands that are complex, write long songs but do not fuse the sound of Classic Prog should not be called "Progressive metal". As I said they should be given a new name with a better descriptor. As I also said I am a strong proponent of "Metal Fusion" if it is mixing two styles together (I wonder where I came up with that one?)

Metal can be influenced by classical music, be virtuosic, have long songs, be very complex and compositionally intricate without being "Progressive Metal". Manowar's Achilles: the Agony and the Ecstasy in Eight parts is 28 minutes long and is more complex than a lot of so called "Prog", but it certainly is not "Progressive Metal". Metal is metal - I am sick of adopt a genre mentality anyways.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 03:47
Another well written and thought provoking piece Cert.Clap

Posted By: metalisgood
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 13:46
"prog metal" is to metal as "prog rock" is to rock.  never really thought about it too hard because you can hear when something is straightforward or when its more progressive.  DT, and especially Queensryche and Tool never seemed too progressive to me, but usually it isn't too hard to see why a band's listed here...

but back to the original thing, just like some prog rock bands have psychedelic roots, some have hard rock roots, some are more jazz rockish, some prog metal bands are closer to death metal, black metal, doom metal, power metal, etc.  the key is that their music is progressively written and at least attempts to transcend the genre... just like prog rock does.  one of the problems I see today with the "prog metal" label is that people say a band plays "prog metal" but prog metal really isnt a genre like black, doom, etc.  its just a characteristic, no matter what kind of metal you play you play music at a certain level of "progressiveness" and thats what makes a metal band prog or not, not if their music sounds like Yes or King Crimson or whatever.

Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by metalisgood metalisgood wrote:

"prog metal" is to metal as "prog rock" is to rock.  never really thought about it too hard because you can hear when something is straightforward or when its more progressive.  DT, and especially Queensryche and Tool never seemed too progressive to me, but usually it isn't too hard to see why a band's listed here...but back to the original thing, just like some prog rock bands have psychedelic roots, some have hard rock roots, some are more jazz rockish, some prog metal bands are closer to death metal, black metal, doom metal, power metal, etc.  the key is that their music is progressively written and at least attempts to transcend the genre... just like prog rock does.  one of the problems I see today with the "prog metal" label is that people say a band plays "prog metal" but prog metal really isnt a genre like black, doom, etc.  its just a characteristic, no matter what kind of metal you play you play music at a certain level of "progressiveness" and thats what makes a metal band prog or not, not if their music sounds like Yes or King Crimson or whatever.

Sorry but that makes no sense. It is pointless, because what is progressive (small p) to someone is not progressive to others. Another problem is no one really knows what progressive (small p) really means when compared to the last 30 years of music. Also we have already established on this site that "Prog" is a noun and a big P, rather than descriptor and small p. Another point you say progressive is a band who "attempts to transcend the genre". Are you kidding me? Prog is clone heaven and is completely stuck in genre, and that is what makes them "Prog". If what you say is true, Genesis' most truly progressive period was when they transcended the genre and started to include Pop influences. I think so, don't you?

Progressive was a movement, not an ongoing description that could be applied to just about any band, not a living genre for intelligent people or those who feel they are intelligent, it was a unique space and time that is now over - move on. Metal is metal, Progressive metal (big P) is the fusion of metal and Classic Prog.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:45
on whether Progmetal stems from Prog or Metal; while certain progmetal artists today 'fuse' metal with classic prog elements, the Bay Area brand of progressive metal as it developed during the early 80s was a progressive form of heavy metal and local thrash influenced by NWoBHM--  it was born of the local metal/thrash scene and had far more in common with Priest, Maiden, Angelwitch and Diamonhead (with peripheral aspects from bands as Rush and Saga), and much less so from Yes, Tull or Genesis.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 14 2008 at 07:20
Originally posted by metalisgood metalisgood wrote:

"prog metal" is to metal as "prog rock" is to rock.  never really thought about it too hard because you can hear when something is straightforward or when its more progressive.  DT, and especially Queensryche and Tool never seemed too progressive to me, but usually it isn't too hard to see why a band's listed here...

but back to the original thing, just like some prog rock bands have psychedelic roots, some have hard rock roots, some are more jazz rockish, some prog metal bands are closer to death metal, black metal, doom metal, power metal, etc.  the key is that their music is progressively written and at least attempts to transcend the genre... just like prog rock does.  one of the problems I see today with the "prog metal" label is that people say a band plays "prog metal" but prog metal really isnt a genre like black, doom, etc.  its just a characteristic, no matter what kind of metal you play you play music at a certain level of "progressiveness" and thats what makes a metal band prog or not, not if their music sounds like Yes or King Crimson or whatever.

In general I agree with this. Prog has always been a charecteristic and a genre, some bands take it as a chericteristic and run with new ideas whilst others take it as simply a genre with set charecteristics and end up being clones, or at least hevily influenced by an earlier band without adding anything new. Obviously Prog has been around for 40 years now and so the number of "clone" bands is going to be rather high but their is also a good number of bands around that do add something new.

As regards to the original point of the thread, most early Prog metal bands fused at least some of the charecteristics of the early prog bands with standard metal to create Prog metal but their were/are those that do it to a greater and lesser degree and then there are those that dont do it at all, maudlin of the Well come to mind here.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 14 2008 at 09:46
Given the broad scope that encompasses all that is Prog (and not just the subgenres we have listed here on the PA), then adding a Metal element to any of that increases the range of what can be considered Progressive Metal dramatically. Couple this with equally broad spectrum of music that can be called Metal (with its associated multitude of branches and subgenres) that has progressive influences or overtones and those Metal bands that have become progressive from first principles (i.e. by similar paths that led psychedelic, folk or jazz oriented bands to become progressive) then the gamut of what can be Progressive Metal is essentially infinite, making a unifying definition practically impossible. As Cert pointed out in his http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49384 - What Is Prog? Blog – Prog Rock is not a style of music, therefore by the same argument Progressive Metal is not a style of music, but is an amalgam of distinct/indistinct styles sheltering under a Metal umbrella. It is impossible to compare two or more Progressive Metal bands and identify what makes them Progressive when the overriding characteristic of ‘What Makes Them Metal?’ is as equally ill-defined.
However, the situation we have is that some Progressive Metal bands feed from each other far more than they are influenced by external sources – now obviously we can identify those bands and group them together in a single category and attempt to define what makes them progressive, [in much the same way as Symphonic Prog or Eclectic Prog bands are grouped together], but that excludes all the other bands who currently fall under the PM banner, (including bands from the ‘other’ two PM categories of Experimental/Post Metal and Tech/Extreme Metal), who do take their influences from the larger pot or even add some of their own. It is easy to focus on a core of well known Progressive Metal artists and argue their relative merits, but that is not the whole picture and does not explain or define what makes all Progressive Metal bands progressive, simply because what makes a Metal band progressive is (by the same virtue) the same indefinable set of traits that makes any band progressive.
[I’m trying hard not to cite specific bands here as that will cloud the issue and draw focus to yet another core of bands that will only add to the confusion – but perhaps ignoring the obvious (DT, Queensrÿche, Opeth, Tool etc. ) and looking beyond them to see what separates all Progressive Metal bands from non-progressive Metal bands]

(my tuppence worth Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: June 14 2008 at 12:01
This guy called "Reality" really told the whole story. I add my signature under his statement with pride. The discussion about the terms "movement" and "genre" is essential to understand the "confusion" that reigns in progressive rock lands. And its consequence - the death of prog rock as a movement - is a logical step that can't be faced for the faint at heart, specially those who weren't born in the golden era (actually the only era). I know it's hard, kids, but "nothing compares 2 that" scene, and as much as I like a lot of post-rock and avant-gard bands, you just can't equal the value, richness and importance to the music of the last century that the "classic" prog groups had. It's not a matter of taste - you can like or dislike anything you want, but in a aesthetichal debate there are some points beyond the "likeness" that are important to consider; some of them can be labeled as "objective" ones. To put in simple terms: I really love Wagner, but it's inapropriate and erroneous to think that his role in music history, as large as it is, is equal or larger than Bach's.

I'm a metal fan, but above all I'm a hard rock fan (classic hard rock, not Bon Jovi's clones or whatever in the eighties except Whitesnake). Even if we accept the points posted after the first "Reality" post by "metalisgood", we can trace the origins of the so-called "prog metal" in the metal reign, not in the prog movement (or "genre", as called by metalisgood). Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple and Rush (although not a metal band) are the forefathers of the prog metal bands. Iron Maiden was a contemporary influence to these bands, but I can't understand why Judas Priest e.g. isn't included in the far "democratic" list that PA has of non-prog bands that had any influence in the "prog" that is made today. ]

Well, this can lead to another discussion about the pertinence of the "prog related" category (that is absurd, because IMO any music of the last century can be related to prog one way or another, specially with the help of the imagination of some fans and/or pressure from the owners - I read more than once that a band X was added because M@x wanted it), but this one should be initiated by Certified or Reality. It's obvious that they know how to use words better and lightier as me without losing accuracy or strenght.

PS: And, in my metal terms, prog metal isn't even "metal" enough. Too light for my metal tastes, specially contemporary metal bands that I like (Celtic frost, Death, old Metallica, Kreator, Marduk, Sepultura, etc.).

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: DuVillez
Date Posted: June 14 2008 at 20:02
I agree with this one, never found a reason for progressive metal being called progressive. Two bands of the genre I think are worthy the prog part (that being Dream Theater and Symphony X) which have made something new, refreshing and unique (although I'm no heavy fan of one of the bands). The idea just keeps going: All I hear from any progmetal band, I've probably heard by those two above-mentioned bands.

Therefor being very pleased with the split-up in three of the metal genre's. Now those (for me) not so progressive metalbands are filtered from those who I mostly recognise being prog.

A little less conversation, a little more progressing please LOL

-------------
Darkness Embraces My Soul, Remembrance Of My Deeper Thoughts (VB - 2006)

Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 03:58

(oops - misposted!)

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 03:58
ClapClapClapClapClap

Just a big bunch of clappies for everyone that's taken part in this thread and kept it civil and well thought out - I'm a bit ashamed to say I'm surprised at the depth of thought that's gone into all the replies - I was expecting many more flames.

This is a huge credit to Prog Metal fans, in my opinion (for what it's worth), as it's absolutely clear that no-one has taken my article to be a cheap way of having a bash at the genre (indeed, nothing could be further from my intentions).

Apologies to Mike - I didn't register that those definitions had your name attached. I will gladly help with writing a new definition, by way of pennance... Embarrassed

Personally, I would love to hear truly Progressive Metal, under the terms I elaborated on in them "What is Prog" article - and, of course, in it's own terms. I think that Spastic Ink have more or less cracked it - so it seems likely that others will follow.

I think it's a good thing that bands like Dream Theater and Opeth are keeping the flag flying, even if I don't like the music particularly, or hear the Prog in it - the point is that the "Prog" moniker is being kept alive, and it should not be too long before the musical attitude and creativity* associated with that original movement comes back - and then some.

*as completely distinct from style, which is merely a product of the times

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I think your dismissing of the genre as a whole is valid but misleading; they're two different scenes.

I am not attempting to dismiss the genre, just raising a question that I find it difficult to answer. The responses make it clear I'm not alone - so the answer will lie in a new, improved definition. I'm not the guy to write it, but will certainly help, if it's felt my input on this subject is useful.

Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

(...)litmus test: AC/DC is not metal because you can "boogie" to it, same thing with Van Halen.

Back in the days of the NWoBHM, AC/DC were part of what was seen as HM - as were Van Halen.

Heavy Metal is about the distorted guitar riffs and a somewhat nihilistic attitude, with a tendency towards exhibitionism (in a nutshell).

Boogie can be a part of it - Heavy Metal, like Prog Rock, tended towards absorbing stuff from other genres as bands tried to find individual styles. An essential part of Heavy Metal was "honesty" - a reaction to the fakeness of Popular music as subtly pointed out by the Punk Rock movement.

Metal bands had a mistrust of anything popular (and the sentiment was returned), and would record demo cassettes or even set up their own record labels independently of the major ones (Def Leppard's "Bludgeon Riffola" label, for example).

Individuality in expression was prized by bands, which is why you have such diverse acts as Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and Diamond Head, and the genre readily absorbed existing bands like Motorhead, AC/DC and Judas Priest, old-school acts such as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath - and even non-British acts like Kiss, Krokus, Blue Oyster Cult and Motley Crue.

The music was often surprisingly progressive... Wink

Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Or we could decide what Prog sounds like (what a genre is for) and make it simple, but that would not be Prog would it.

People say "You know it when you hear it", but it's not entirely about the sound, or we'd all agree on what it is, and all the bands would sound, if not the same, then at least similar. And what's similar about Tangerine Dream, PFM, Amon Duul II and Magma?

Prog is more than a sound or style, it's an underlying attitude to music - and you cannot turn that around and say "An underlying attitude = Prog", because all things are not equal that way. Traditional, Euclidean science does not describe the universe, and it certainly doesn't describe music.

Much about Prog *seems* to be contradictory - your responses to my article are very revealing, and I think you answer many of your own questions. You need to see the bigger picture, rather than focus on the elements Wink

I will check out all of those albums - thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 06:20

Much about Prog *seems* to be contradictory - your responses to my article are very revealing, and I think you answer many of your own questions. You need to see the bigger picture, rather than focus on the elements Wink

I will check out all of those albums - thanks!

In a way we're both wrong and right ... it all depends on how you define things. But in all these discussions it should be noted that for most intents and purposes Dream Theater remain the defining band for Progressive Metal. I know that you don't consider their approach to be truly progressive ... but no matter whether you're right or not about that, you won't change the fact that for almost 20 years Dream Theater have been known as a Progressive Metal band. In other words: The label "Progressive Metal" is simply not being used how you think it should be used. If a prog fan was frozen in 1973 and he awoke today, he would probably follow your definition ... but that's simply not how things took place. 

I agree that the key Prog Rock bands had a really unique way of expanding the confinements of Rock music in mind blowing, spontaneous and creative ways ... very few Progressive Metal bands actually manage to repeat this, or even try in the first place. But that's a problem which is not limited to Metal ... the other Prog "offsprings" have similar problems (Flower Kings, anyone?). Like I said in the other thread: The more truly progressive a modern band is, the more they are moving away from what is - for most people - appropriately called "Prog". The question is: If something "sounds like prog", shouldn't it be called "prog" ... regardless of whether they are truly progressive or merely mimicking the style?

I hope you'll enjoy listening to the albums I mentioned ... I don't think that any of them can compete with the classic prog albums in terms of progressiveness (as you define it), but I certainly think that they do more than just "go through the motions" and simple rehash what others did before.

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 20:18
Ahem, prog metal cannot be prog 'cause the loud guitars and screaming singers amount to a bunch of noise mongrels, I mean mongers.
As such, most prog metals acts should probably be listed under Krautrock.
Or assigned to a more accurately named subgenre - if it's too loud/heavy, you're too old!Big%20smile

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 21:40
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

And your little-advertised website's Wink inclusion of Metallica's MOP as prog metal just requires a Clap

^ In fact opinion is divided on the subject ... you're welcome to help cement the prog status.Big%20smile

Why only Master of Puppets? From Ride the Lightning  to . . .And Justice for All they sure made some kind of "progressive thrash metal" and DO deserve a place among the progressive metal bands. BRING METALLICA TO PA NOW!!!!!! (fist in the air) LOL (or at least a place at the prog related because of their importance to the genre)

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 23:00
You guys should seriously consider charging admission to view this thread Wink.

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

And your little-advertised website's Wink inclusion of Metallica's MOP as prog metal just requires a Clap

Why only Master of Puppets? From Ride the Lightning  to . . .And Justice for All they sure made some kind of "progressive thrash metal" and DO deserve a place among the progressive metal bands. BRING METALLICA TO PA NOW!!!!!! (fist in the air) LOL (or at least a place at the prog related because of their importance to the genre)

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

It's been asked before... among others, by yours truly... and we've lost every time.... and hard...LOL...

By the way, Mike has a website... And Metallica is listed as Prog-metal in there... Newsflash.....

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 00:23

A Prog Icon gave us the perfect definition of Prog:

What is progressive rock ?

"It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

Keith Emerson

Apply this to Prog Metal, and you will get an easy answer.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 02:54

Why only Master of Puppets? Well, submit your opinion at RF (in the form of ratings and tags) and you'll help setting things straight.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 03:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

"It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

Keith Emerson

Iván

A very idealistic way of looking at it - the same ideal that I was exploring in my "What is Prog" blog. In principle, I completely agree with this - although recognise that even the best Prog does not achieve this 100% of the time.

It is, however, THE guiding principle, and is why I specifically mentioned Spastic Ink in this blog.

You can find it in Prog Metal - but it seems to be sadly lacking in the groups that stand out as "defining" the genre.

I put defining in quotes, because, back in the days of the NWoBHM, bands like Rush and Diamond Head were viewed as Progressive Metal in my circles - Diamond Head particularly got credit for "inventing" it in some of the magazines I read - but groups like Iron Maiden were not considered Progressive Metal as they were in some parts of the US, for example.

I must admit I found it hard to swallow, except in the absolutely literal sense of the word "Progressive" - ie, something different enough to sound new and exciting. Dream Theater simply added a keyboard and a sheen of technical mastery to a style of music that had been there for at least a decade - they did not re-invent the music in the same dramatic way that Rush or Diamond Head did. Or Iron Maiden or Metallica, come to that.

This is really repeating the fact that everyone has their own idea of bands that define it, but no-one seems to have a working definition of what it is. It often seems it can be anything you like as long as it includes your favourite heavy metal bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

In a way we're both wrong and right ... it all depends on how you define things. But in all these discussions it should be noted that for most intents and purposes Dream Theater remain the defining band for Progressive Metal.

Along with Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Rush - who is it to be?

I know that you don't consider their approach to be truly progressive ... but no matter whether you're right or not about that, you won't change the fact that for almost 20 years Dream Theater have been known as a Progressive Metal band. In other words: The label "Progressive Metal" is simply not being used how you think it should be used. If a prog fan was frozen in 1973 and he awoke today, he would probably follow your definition ... but that's simply not how things took place. 

People have different definitions, and a lot of people seem to be waking up to the fact that Dream Theater weren't really all that Progressive - it's not just the old school ranting.

I agree that the key Prog Rock bands had a really unique way of expanding the confinements of Rock music in mind blowing, spontaneous and creative ways ... very few Progressive Metal bands actually manage to repeat this, or even try in the first place. But that's a problem which is not limited to Metal ... the other Prog "offsprings" have similar problems (Flower Kings, anyone?). Like I said in the other thread: The more truly progressive a modern band is, the more they are moving away from what is - for most people - appropriately called "Prog". The question is: If something "sounds like prog", shouldn't it be called "prog" ... regardless of whether they are truly progressive or merely mimicking the style?

There is no "The style" to mimic - all Prog Bands have their own style.

I agree that this isn't something that's limited to metal - I have yet to hear any genuine Modern Prog, and it did take me a while to adjust to the progressive concepts and approaches in Neo Prog, which are often subtle (but rarely a re-hash).

If something merely looks or sounds like something, that doesn't necessarily make it the same thing - consider Fool's Gold.

Why only Master of Puppets? Well, submit your opinion at RF (in the form of ratings and tags) and you'll help setting things straight.Smile
(Sadly, I cannot seem to get into RF - I keep asking for a new password, but never get the email). 

Even "Kill 'Em All" is progressive in both the literal sense, and, to some extent, to Emerson's description - consider the way the riffs develop in "Seek and Destroy", for example - towards the end, a change in the drumming from half to full tempo, and the whole piece goes up a gear. The riff is then turned inside out and upside down as its potential is (briefly) explored.

That technique is almost unprecedented in Metal.

You can actually apply the general principles of the Emerson quote above to Metallica's first 4 albums and find that they work - Emerson is stating a kind of ideal that few Prog bands actually achieved - an ideal that's pretty tough to apply to a band like Can, for example - and one that Metallica aspired to... before they "Did a Genesis (or a "Yes, or an "ELP")...

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 06:09
Elements Part II
You mention Ride The Lightning, and I agree with some of what you say about it. Solos? Randy Rhoads is a prime example of a metal soloist who was definitely in the virtuoso field of metal soloing technique at the time, definitely head and shoulders above in technical ability to the average NWOBHM guitarist of the time.
His solos were more meticulous than Kirk's for sure, and just in general a more skilled and fluent soloist than Kirk. You get that sense many of Kirks solos, even some of the ones one RTL, are somewhat improvisational in nature, wheras Rhoads' solos always seemed more composed and perhaps more "harmonically correct" for a lack of a better phrase, in the musical context. Take into account Kirk's admittedly terrible and almost complete lack of vibrato ability and control at the time and perhaps even worse now, there is no doubt to my mind Rhoads was one of the great pioneering metal soloists of his time, and Kirk was perhaps sometimes just going through the motions.
Megadeth? Archaic sounding compared to Metallica? Yes, I would say Peace Sells... as an album was definitely less complex in structure to Metallica's release in the same year, Master Of Puppets. The same went for the two band's 1988 releases, Megadeth's So Far So Good...So What? and Metallica's ... And Justice For All.
But archaic compared to Metallica? No way. Megadeth's work sounded just as modern, and to me some of SFSGSW has actually aged a lot better than some of AJFA.
Now for the next two studio albums the bands would release, Metallica's self titled and Megadeth's Rust In Peace. The self titled album, is just regressive and to be honest I can't listen to the album at all anymore, especially when you consider what a musically exciting path Metallica was heading on until Bob Rock came into the perspective.
Rust In Peace, on the other hand, while still not as structurally progressive as either MoP or AJFA, was easily more technically challenging than anything Metallica had and has so far ever done.
One of the reasons why, is the introduction of Marty Friedman into the band.
While one could nail the feel of Kirk Hammetts solos in a matter of months (I used to be able to play the Fade To Black solo perfectly, but I no longer practice that song), you would have to spend perhaps years to really nail all the subtleties in Marty's playing. His intense and incredibly well controlled vibrato technique, superb bending technique, exotic phrasing, mastery of the sweep picking technique, and the way he could dig the pick into the strings to give certain phrases more bite, were all really part of what makes Marty a true virtuoso compared to Kirk whom I would say was certainly skilled but not particularly challenging.
The guitarists that came into the band after Marty left couldn't nail Marty's style on RIP, proof of how of unique Marty's style was to him, yet I've heard many that could easily sound like Kirk.
The Tornado of souls solo is one of the benchmark solos people have used to compare Marty and post Marty guitarists with, and so far Chris Broderick has the more accurate emulation of that solo, but Broderick himself is incredily unique anyway and still will never sound like Marty.
Given the amount of people that cite RIP as the best thrash metal album of all time, including myself, there is not a doubt in my mind that album played a part in shaping technical metal to come and prog metal. While MoP was clearly more influential on bands like Dream Theater and late 80s/early 90s prog metal, I'm now starting to really hear the Rust In Peace influence in some of the more modern prog metal bands
Also, albums like Dragon's Kiss, Marty's first solo album, was at the time IMO, at least close to MoP in progressiveness. While I wouldn't call Dragon's Kiss prog in any strict sense, if you look at the extended composition Forbidden City, which has many twists and turns and is fairly complex, and the album closer, Thunder March with it's use of counterpoint with the electric guitar, it was obviously not a radio friendly poppy glam metal affair. And as it's happened, many prog metal guitarists cite that album as being influential on their musical development.

Metallica
Now for the Metallica debate that has sprung up in this page, I agree with a lot of what Cert had to say.
While Kill 'Em All is not prog in the way many of us have come to know it as, I'd be hard pressed to find many bands doing what Metallica had done for metal music in general in 1981 to their release of Kill 'Em All. This is where Dave Mustaine being a hugely influential musician gains even more strength IMO, as he was helping to pioneer the thrash genre before he had even started up Megadeth, which itself was massively influential on the thrash movement.
And of course RTL was a step up in compositional complexity and musicanship, and MoP even more so. AJA was a step up again, although the bass work not quite so, due to Newsted not even being heard, and he was known to not possess the skill Burton had.

DT
As for the Dream Theater argument, I think if were just to look at like Cert has, perhaps DT weren't that amazing.
But to have simply gotten the keyboard player, and Petrucci not just using Hammett as his lead guitar model, but instead looking to true virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Steve Morse for inspiration (to name a few anyway) and to come up with these compositions that weren't NWOBHM, and weren't just jumping on the Thrash metal bandwagon (thrash was a genre that had become over saturated with too many bands that were no longer being innovative like the earlier bands), is to my mind something that took a lot of testicular fortitude to do.
It would be easy to just do the NWOBHM or thrash metal thing again, but what DT did wasn't easy, in terms of reaching commericial sucess with it, and not easy in the literal musical sense of raising the bar of musicianship and compositional complexity for metal.

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 06:37

In a way we're both wrong and right ... it all depends on how you define things. But in all these discussions it should be noted that for most intents and purposes Dream Theater remain the defining band for Progressive Metal.

No - I meant that if you could name only *one* band which symbolises Prog Metal then it would definitely have to be Dream Theater. The only other band which I would consider are Fates Warning, but Dream Theater are the #1 Prog Metal band.

I know that you don't consider their approach to be truly progressive ... but no matter whether you're right or not about that, you won't change the fact that for almost 20 years Dream Theater have been known as a Progressive Metal band. In other words: The label "Progressive Metal" is simply not being used how you think it should be used. If a prog fan was frozen in 1973 and he awoke today, he would probably follow your definition ... but that's simply not how things took place. 

People have different definitions, and a lot of people seem to be waking up to the fact that Dream Theater weren't really all that Progressive - it's not just the old school ranting.

Doesn't matter how progressive you (or anyone else) thinks they are or were, they are tied to the label "Prog(ressive) Metal".

There is no "The style" to mimic - all Prog Bands have their own style.

I agree that this isn't something that's limited to metal - I have yet to hear any genuine Modern Prog, and it did take me a while to adjust to the progressive concepts and approaches in Neo Prog, which are often subtle (but rarely a re-hash).

If something merely looks or sounds like something, that doesn't necessarily make it the same thing - consider Fool's Gold.

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off. And even if it's a rip-off and the listener knows the original, they might still enjoy it - for example, I enjoy listening to Opeth parts which are essentially Camel rip-offs (which Mikael Akerfeldt always freely admitted).

(Sadly, I cannot seem to get into RF - I keep asking for a new password, but never get the email). 

Even "Kill 'Em All" is progressive in both the literal sense, and, to some extent, to Emerson's description - consider the way the riffs develop in "Seek and Destroy", for example - towards the end, a change in the drumming from half to full tempo, and the whole piece goes up a gear. The riff is then turned inside out and upside down as its potential is (briefly) explored.

That technique is almost unprecedented in Metal.

You can actually apply the general principles of the Emerson quote above to Metallica's first 4 albums and find that they work - Emerson is stating a kind of ideal that few Prog bands actually achieved - an ideal that's pretty tough to apply to a band like Can, for example - and one that Metallica aspired to... before they "Did a Genesis (or a "Yes, or an "ELP")...

I'll send you the password via PM.Smile

I agree about Metallica's first albums ... I just think that Master of Puppets was the album where they reached the pinnacle of their progressiveness.

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

(...) no doubt to my mind Rhoads was one of the great pioneering metal soloists of his time, and Kirk was perhaps sometimes just going through the motions. (...)

That's kinda the point - with Rhoads, the solos were immaculately structured in Classical style - yes he was pioneering and a better guitarist than Hammett - but let's ignore the solos, as those are just elements of the songs, and only existed over standard riff patterns - ie, the music wasn't progressive as a whole. 

It's quite clear that Rhoads could have produced something Prog, but he didn't.

He was astonishing live - there's no doubt he had improvisational skillz - but on record, he played lead guitar solos in their "proper" place in standard heavy metal songs. A few of the songs he played on had progressive tendencies (e.g. "Diary..."), and Rhoads was extremely influential - but do not confuse influential with Progressive or Prog Rock.

Chuck Berry was influential, so was Buddy Holly and John Mayall and...

Megadeth? (...) archaic compared to Metallica?
(...)
Rust In Peace, on the other hand, while still not as structurally progressive as either MoP or AJFA, was easily more technically challenging than anything Metallica had and has so far ever done.(...)
Don't confuse "technically challenging" with Prog.

Megadeth's structuring was still in the dark ages of metal song writing. Despite the numerous changes, etc., they hadn't really got the structured/improvised feel that early Metallica had. Structurally progressive IS the important thing here, ie, how the music is progressive, not how the elements are progressive.

One of the reasons why, is the introduction of Marty Friedman into the band.
While one could nail the feel of Kirk Hammetts solos in a matter of months (I used to be able to play the Fade To Black solo perfectly, but I no longer practice that song), you would have to spend perhaps years to really nail all the subtleties in Marty's playing.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make - although you make it unintentionally.

It often seems it (Prog Metal) can be anything you like as long as it includes (...) bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

Difficult to play is NOT the same as Prog. Not all Prog is difficult to play - it is not an essential requirement, just an incidental factor in some of the better Prog.

Paganini's music is difficult to play for any violinist - but for the orchestra, it's mostly humdrum. This is because, while Paganini was a virtuoso violinist, he was a mediochre composer, concerned mainly with showmanship - and the orchestral arrangements are designed to highlight his own soloing prowess.

This is emphatically not the case with the better Prog bands - ITCOCTK is a classic example of how the music itself takes centre stage.

His intense and incredibly well controlled vibrato technique, superb bending technique, exotic phrasing, mastery of the sweep picking technique, and the way he could dig the pick into the strings to give certain phrases more bite...

This is just technique, not Prog.

Uli Jon Roth was a master of metal soloing technique at least as far back as 1974, and Michael Schenker was no slouch either - his trademark licks can be found throughout the metal canon.

Elements are elementary - you can find Prog elements anywhere you look.

While MoP was clearly more influential on bands like Dream Theater and late 80s/early 90s prog metal, I'm now starting to really hear the Rust In Peace influence in some of the more modern prog metal bands

...and I can hear Beethoven's influence in some Prog bands - influential is not Prog.

Metallica

DT

I'm not looking at how technically skilled they were, I'm looking for principles of Progressive Rock in their music, and finding them in Metallica - and seeing the same level of principle - indeed, exactly the same principles in Dream Theater, with compositional structures that show no progression from Metallica's - just simple extension.

Listen to 1980s metal band Axe, particularly the album "Nemesis" (1983) - they had a keyboard too, and the music is strikingly similar to Dream Theater, while the technical skills are maybe a notch above Metallica's. Their previous offering "Offering", while anticipating mid-1980s hair-metal and being necessarily cheesier, is strikingly similar such that you realise that Axe had everything in place on this album that was to make "Nemesis" as cool as it is (for the time), and didn't just nick ideas from certain developing scenes.

The more metal you hear from that era, the better perspective you'll get. As I'm fond of saying, the NWoBHM era was intrinsically progressive, and some of the bands did actually use progressive principles rather than simple elements.

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 09:54

No - I meant that if you could name only *one* band which symbolises Prog Metal then it would definitely have to be Dream Theater. The only other band which I would consider are Fates Warning, but Dream Theater are the #1 Prog Metal band.

Yes, but those other bands are also Prog Metal, and they preceeded them historically, is what I meant.

You can't define a genre from a band that came to it, say, 15 years too late (if we assume that Rush were first with 2112).

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off.

...so anything could be something as long as someone says it is, is that what you're saying?

"Totally Unique" and "Non-Derivative" are, of course, impossible - I carefully and deliberately chose the phrase "distinctly different" to contrast with the equally impossible "completely different" and "utterly identical", and to avoid confusion with "somewhat different" or "blatant rip-off".

I'm going to look into Progressive Blues and Jazz to see if the same principles apply - I'll probably ignore Progressive House, Trance, etc, as my understanding is that the "Progressive" in that context literally means that the music progressively changes in a minimalist fashion, rather than there is anything inherently Progressive about it.

With the latter, musicians aren't trying to push the music further into terra incognita, rather they are trying to make terra cognita a little different.

It's the difference between putting new pictures on your bedroom wall, or redecorating the sitting room, and rebuilding the house.

The point I'm trying to make both here and my "What is Prog" blog is that there is a way to identify Prog in music - and Ivan's post nicely underlines it. If my understanding of Prog that has come about through systematic analysis is that close to Keith Emerson's, then I think I'm probably onto something.

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:23

Yes, but those other bands are also Prog Metal, and they preceeded them historically, is what I meant.

You can't define a genre from a band that came to it, say, 15 years too late (if we assume that Rush were first with 2112).

Rush are not prog metal ... not even close.

In my book it all started to take form around 1988/1989, with the Dream Theater debut and Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry. Of course you don't have to agree ... but IMO those albums are for Prog Metal what Genesis - Foxtrot and Yes - CttE are for Prog Rock!

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off.

...so anything could be something as long as someone says it is, is that what you're saying?

No, not really ... I don't get the connection to my statement you quoted.

"Totally Unique" and "Non-Derivative" are, of course, impossible - I carefully and deliberately chose the phrase "distinctly different" to contrast with the equally impossible "completely different" and "utterly identical", and to avoid confusion with "somewhat different" or "blatant rip-off".

I'm going to look into Progressive Blues and Jazz to see if the same principles apply - I'll probably ignore Progressive House, Trance, etc, as my understanding is that the "Progressive" in that context literally means that the music progressively changes in a minimalist fashion, rather than there is anything inherently Progressive about it.

With the latter, musicians aren't trying to push the music further into terra incognita, rather they are trying to make terra cognita a little different.

It's the difference between putting new pictures on your bedroom wall, or redecorating the sitting room, and rebuilding the house.

Imagine a very boring, dull house. Then someone comes along and rebuilds it, and all of  a sudden it's inventive, imaginative and full of surprises. Then someone else comes along, takes this improved house and puts new pictures on the bedroom wall, changes the color, adds a car port etc. . Now: If someone came along and would be asked to categorize the houses, wouldn't he put the improved houses in the same category?

The point I'm trying to make both here and my "What is Prog" blog is that there is a way to identify Prog in music - and Ivan's post nicely underlines it. If my understanding of Prog that has come about through systematic analysis is that close to Keith Emerson's, then I think I'm probably onto something.

Fine ... so you'll redefine "Prog" so that it doesn't include artists like Spock's Beard or The Flower Kings. Am I the only one who sees a problem there?

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that "Prog" contains both original/deep and derivative/shallow artists (with all that's in between) and then to point out for each artist/album how original/deep it is? In essence it boils down to defining a subset "Truly Prog" within "Prog".

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2008 at 16:42

Keith Emerson

Iván

A very idealistic way of looking at it - the same ideal that I was exploring in my "What is Prog" blog. In principle, I completely agree with this - although recognise that even the best Prog does not achieve this 100% of the time.

Of course no definition is 100% accurate, but it got the basic issues:

1. Development of the work
  2. Not linear (As you know better than I do, Pop has mainly an AbAb structure, maybe with a short intro even when normaly POP stats with the chorus directly, sometimes an instrumental break that foolws the verse or the Chorus and other times a coda (Normally not the last one), and that's all, the idea of Prog is exploring and expanding this structires.

But as you know even in Orchestal Instrumental Music (Hate the generic term Classical, it's not accirate) nothing is perfect, take a look at the Romantic era and then check the Russian Nationalist Miobvement, it's chronologically Romantic, as a fact the Nationalisyt Mvement is considered Romantic, but lately it's been called Pos Romantic and some even call it early Modern, because they broke with the solid structures of French Romanticism.

Te same goes with ciontemporary popular genres, you see Rock's structure is also very simple, but take Jim Steinman's compositions for MMeatloaf, it's full of brdges, with Intro, coda everything extremely different to classic Rock, but it's classic Rock with Metal leanings,

Emersons guives us the ideal search of Prog, many won't achieve it, but the goal is that. 

It is, however, THE guiding principle, and is why I specifically mentioned Spastic Ink in this blog.

You can find it in Prog Metal - but it seems to be sadly lacking in the groups that stand out as "defining" the genre.

I put defining in quotes, because, back in the days of the NWoBHM, bands like Rush and Diamond Head were viewed as Progressive Metal in my circles - Diamond Head particularly got credit for "inventing" it in some of the magazines I read - but groups like Iron Maiden were not considered Progressive Metal as they were in some parts of the US, for example.

The problem of Iron Maiden is the lack of keyboiards, many people can't accept a Prog band from whatever sub-genre without keys, but in the case of Maiden, the combination of guitars is replacing the keys, while one makes the usual Metal sound, the other plays the background and creates atmospheres.

I must admit I found it hard to swallow, except in the absolutely literal sense of the word "Progressive" - ie, something different enough to sound new and exciting. Dream Theater simply added a keyboard and a sheen of technical mastery to a style of music that had been there for at least a decade - they did not re-invent the music in the same dramatic way that Rush or Diamond Head did. Or Iron Maiden or Metallica, come to that.

It's no secret I'm not a DT fan, but I believe that they were a boom, with several talented musicians, they based their sound in virtuosism, but I can't find a solid structure no matter how hard I try, they are like in a contest trying to prove who's best, they priviledge soloing over structures, to be honest I ind Maiden and Sabbath more Prog than Iron Maiden.

I believe Octavarium was the beginning f the end, their formula became exhausted, they lost a lot of credibility after that, even among die hard fans.

This is really repeating the fact that everyone has their own idea of bands that define it, but no-one seems to have a working definition of what it is. It often seems it can be anything you like as long as it includes your favourite heavy metal bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

You just hit the nail in the head, DIFFICULTY, I remember readingthe most absurd comparisobn, a member well known for his hate against Genesis wrote "Howe is better than Hackett because I can play Hackett parts but I'm not able to play How parts"

For God's sake, I understand some people may like Howe more, his style is more direct, but difficulty is not everything, Clapton plays exctremely diifficult parts, not to talk about Malmsteen, but none of them is Prog.

On the oher hand Hackett plays atmospheres, maybe not as complex, but a musician finds what a band NEEDS and uses it in benefit of the structure. If Genesis would had required a Santana or a Hendrix wanabee, they had plenty candidates, Peter said it on an interview, "All the guitar players who auditioned for us tried to make flashes like Santana or Hendrix, Steve showed us we required a unique sound based in atmospheres where we were weak, after the dirst session we knew that's what we required."

Another one is Gilmour, normally he's extremely slow in his solos, seems as he works every in every possible way and gives adamn about speed, not precuisely the hardest guitar player to follow, but beyond any doubt one of the most elaborate and Prog guitar player.

In Metal it's worst, the fanbase always searches for the harder studff, if the guy can do what nobody can and plays at 500 miles per hour,. "Hey he must be the best".

Nobody stopped to listen carefully but the most evident Prog elements in Dream Theater are in Ruddess STYLE (Not the use of keyboard) because he adds a Symphonic structure and the way Myung supports the central spine of the band when he can be heard.

The guitar is great, nobody denies the talent of Petrucci, but he does very little to be diferent from traditional metal, faster, stronger and better than most, but Metal plain and simple. 

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 03:22

Yes, they did re-invent music in their own way. Their albums sound unlike anything that was recorded before. Of course if you completely ignore the technical mastery, time signature changes, long-drawn episodic songwriting etc. then I can understand your problems with accepting them as something unique ... but IMO you have to look at the whole picture and not conveniently leave out aspects which interfere with your theory.

Now come on, a few posts ago you said yourself that progressive music is often difficult to play. It doesn't have to be, but it simply often is.

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 04:04

That is what we called them back in 1979 - and we called Rush Prog Metal first, so that gives us a fair claim to the title Tongue

Not everyone did, for sure (ie people not familiar with their music, or didn't care, etc.) - but Rush were lumped in with Yes and Genesis et al as Progressive Music, but it was recognised that their music was more metal than rock, and clearly different to Prog Rock, because of the riffs so Progressive Metal it was.

I agree with Dick Heath - the kiddies are rewriting history again...

Yes, they did re-invent music in their own way. Their albums sound unlike anything that was recorded before. Of course if you completely ignore the technical mastery, time signature changes, long-drawn episodic songwriting etc. then I can understand your problems with accepting them as something unique ... but IMO you have to look at the whole picture and not conveniently leave out aspects which interfere with your theory.

Everyone has their own perspective - but I think the difference between elemental differences and fundamental differences in musical style has been made clear now.

I acknowledge Dream Theater's technical mastery of their instruments.

Time signature changes are incidental - and elemental too. Not every piece of Prog has multiple time changes - it's just not that important. It does happen more often in Prog, that is true - but this is just a way of describing the music, not identifying it.

Long-drawn episodic songwriting is also a characteristic - it simply does not happen 100% of the time in Prog and does not define it any more than it defines psychedelia or Classical music, in which it also happens a lot.

Hold on - technical mastery, long, episodic songs, tempo changes - sounds a LOT like Rush to me.

The confusion I was referring to in my initial blog is caused by looking at the building blocks in this way, and is why it is a nonsense to consider Dream Theater a Prog Metal band, but not Metallica or Rush.

Dream Theater's importance lies in reawakening people to Prog Metal - and full kudos to them for doing that - but not in inventing it.

You're not going to get a good or focussed picture if you use poorly-defined building blocks - garbage in, garbage out.

Now come on, a few posts ago you said yourself that progressive music is often difficult to play. It doesn't have to be, but it simply often is.

Er...

...not sure what you're accusing me of here, but it looks like you're accusing me of saying the same thing twice - for which crime I apologise.

One should never repeat oneself in public... Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 04:18
It reminds me a little of the dilemma Bruce Lee's followers had after he died.  The form of martial art he developed and taught, Jeet Kune Do, was designed to be always evolving, fluid, and able to adapt to any opponent or situation.. essentially a progressive fighting style, a 'way of no way' as he put it.  But over the years as his approach was taught to others, it became a rigid system with rules and techniques never meant to be adhered to.  Sorry, had to slip in the martial arts analogy Smile

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 06:34

That is what we called them back in 1979 - and we called Rush Prog Metal first, so that gives us a fair claim to the title Tongue

Not everyone did, for sure (ie people not familiar with their music, or didn't care, etc.) - but Rush were lumped in with Yes and Genesis et al as Progressive Music, but it was recognised that their music was more metal than rock, and clearly different to Prog Rock, because of the riffs so Progressive Metal it was.

I agree with Dick Heath - the kiddies are rewriting history again...

Obviously that label did not "stick", otherwise a different one would have been chosen for the bands which now carry it, since it would have already been "taken".

I don't think that anyone was rewriting history ... the label simply wasn't used widely enough for bands like Rush to *become* history.

Everyone has their own perspective - but I think the difference between elemental differences and fundamental differences in musical style has been made clear now.

I acknowledge Dream Theater's technical mastery of their instruments.

Time signature changes are incidental - and elemental too. Not every piece of Prog has multiple time changes - it's just not that important. It does happen more often in Prog, that is true - but this is just a way of describing the music, not identifying it.

I disagree. Of course you could rewrite a piece which is in 7/4 to be in 4/4 instead. But it would not be the same piece anymore. Whether the time signature (or change of it) is an important element or superficial - or in other words: how much it adds to the substance of the piece - can only be determined individually, looking at the whole track as a piece of art.

Obvious example: Take 5. Take away the 5/4 ... of course it would work, but it wouldn't be the same anymore. Or consider Pink Floyd - Money. Take Steve Vai's highly energetic track "Kill the Guy with the Ball" ... it has a passage where the drummer deliberately gets out of sync with the band by one 16th note for each bar for like 4 bars until they get in sync again (if I remember it correctly). You absolutely can't take that away from the track, since it symbolises the chase (of the guy with the ball). It's essential.

Long-drawn episodic songwriting is also a characteristic - it simply does not happen 100% of the time in Prog and does not define it any more than it defines psychedelia or Classical music, in which it also happens a lot.

Hold on - technical mastery, long, episodic songs, tempo changes - sounds a LOT like Rush to me.

Who are considered to be a progressive band.Big%20smile

The confusion I was referring to in my initial blog is caused by looking at the building blocks in this way, and is why it is a nonsense to consider Dream Theater a Prog Metal band, but not Metallica or Rush.

Now you're throwing everything together. Dream Theater vs. Rush is not a case of Prog vs. Non-Prog, but of Metal vs. Hard Rock. You're also welcome to calling Rush "Prog Metal" if you feel that "Metal" should include every style between Steppenwolf and Sepultura ... I simply think that in the context of what's commonly called "Prog Metal" we're talking about Post-NWOBHM.

And for the record: In my book Metallica are progressive (as you must know by now) ... it's just their *style* which is very different from the typical Prog Metal bands. But on an album per album base Master of Puppets definitely deserves to be called "Prog Metal" IMHO.

Dream Theater's importance lies in reawakening people to Prog Metal - and full kudos to them for doing that - but not in inventing it.

You're not going to get a good or focussed picture if you use poorly-defined building blocks - garbage in, garbage out.

"Prog" is difficult to grasp. It's something which you can't easily define. Your approach at defining it is certainly valid, in my opinion it's simply not complete. It doesn't cover all the bands which are commonly called "Prog". One fact we know is that Dream Theater are Prog. Now, maybe I'll take the time to define how Dream Theater are different from "normal" metal bands, and these differences might then be used as an indication that something might be Prog.

Of course you can fling insults at me - intentional or not, words like "poor" or "garbage" don't exactly sound friendly - but whatever you do, Dream Theater are Prog. It's as simple as that ... if you disagree, you'll have to find another label to reference what you mean by "Prog".

Er...

...not sure what you're accusing me of here, but it looks like you're accusing me of saying the same thing twice - for which crime I apologise.

One should never repeat oneself in public... Embarrassed

That's a misunderstanding. I simply meant that we should be able to mention that something is difficult to play without others deducing that that alone is sufficient for us to call something Prog. It is a strong factor, but it needs to be accompanied by other elements/trademarks. For example, especially in genres like Thrash or Death the level of difficulty is generally high. If then other elements are added, like concept, jazz elements, epic structures, experimentality/avant-garde (weird things) etc. ... then something *might* be prog, but there are no definitive rules, there is no "prog formula".

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 06:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It reminds me a little of the dilemma Bruce Lee's followers had after he died.  The form of martial art he developed and taught, Jeet Kune Do, was designed to be always evolving, fluid, and able to adapt to any opponent or situation.. essentially a progressive fighting style, a 'way of no way' as he put it.  But over the years as his approach was taught to others, it became a rigid system with rules and techniques never meant to be adhered to.  Sorry, had to slip in the martial arts analogy Smile

That's actually a very nice analogy. There are essentially two aspects colliding: The style and the approach. Followers can either copy the original style, or develop new styles using the approach of the original artists. The former is more easily recognisable as being similar to the original, especially by people without a musical background. The latter is more interesting and rewarding to check out, but also much harder to recognize or identify since it requires in-depth knowledge. It's surely quite difficult for someone who has never played an instrument or studied music theory to indentify concepts like Counter-Point or modal scales, cadenzas etc. in a piece of music, let alone the intricate form/structure required by Certif1ed's definition. In effect, his definition is quite radical, and something with which I sympathize, but it would also alienate many "progheads" which are more used to comparing styles and simple elements. In a nutshell by his definition Dream Theater would be replaced with Metallica ... Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 20:27
A few comments here
First, that quote from Emmerson - Does that mean we eliminate Krautrock from PA ? Oh, wait, that music is not repetitive, it is "droning". Or as they say in some quarters - prog music means not having to make up your mind as to what song you're playing (now you hear it, now you don't!)
Second, prog metal is doomed because it is associated with metal. Metal is associated with noise. Noise is associated with RIO/Avant-Garde and Krautrock, therefore Prog Metal is not prog.
Third - Prog Metal can't be prog 'cause there are loud guitars and screaming singers.
Fourth - Keyboards are necessary for a band to be considered prog ?
Fifth - No , really , keyboards are necessary for a band to be prog ?
Sixth - Can someone stop that ringing ?///}

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 21:35
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

A few comments here
First, that quote from Emmerson - Does that mean we eliminate Krautrock from PA ? Oh, wait, that music is not repetitive, it is "droning". Or as they say in some quarters - prog music means not having to make up your mind as to what song you're playing (now you hear it, now you don't!)

I believe you're making a generalization about Krautrock that denies it's essence, Krautrock started as German Psyche, and for that reason exploring foreign influences rarely used in Rock before.

Yes, they have repetitive rhythm, but the exploration of the posibilities is in other point, they were the first to really use the heavy atmospheres and the spacey sounds, so they explored the posibilities as Emerson said, not my cup of tea, but they really deserve the name of Prog.

Second, prog metal is doomed because it is associated with metal. Metal is associated with noise. Noise is associated with RIO/Avant-Garde and Krautrock, therefore Prog Metal is not prog.

That's called reduction to absurd, and would only work if the screams and noise were an exclusive characteristic of a non Prog genre, but it's not, you have noise in early Psyche if not listen Careful with that Axe Eugene also with early Hard Prog, you can listen Uriah Heep or Deep Purple or even the distorted noises that King Crimson used and Uriah Heep, or the noises inclueded in early space Pink Flyd albums .

Noise can be found anywhere.

Third - Prog Metal can't be prog 'cause there are loud guitars and screaming singers.

Loud guitars: Marillion, Heep, Deep Purple, Kansas, Genesis (Listen Giant Hogweed), Rush,

Screams: Have you ever listened the Musical Box Final section, or Giant Hogweed or Supper's Ready? Of course if you don't want to mention David Byron, David Surkamp, Geddy Lee, etc and even the ballad oriented Greg Lake singing 21st Century Schizoid Man with heavy distorted guitars.

There are screams everywhere.

I don't believe so, instruments don't make the music, musicians make the music.

Honestly, I believe not.

Ask a doctor, may be the same virus that attacked Phil Collins and caused him tinittus. LOL

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 22:01

hhahha...  f**king A....

post of the week right there.... anyone who can work a Bruce Lee analogy into a Prog Metal thread.... is truly God on Earth for the week ClapLOL

-------------

Posted By: preqT0THEseq7
Date Posted: June 18 2008 at 23:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hhahha...  f**king A....

post of the week right there.... anyone who can work a Bruce Lee analogy into a Prog Metal thread.... is truly God on Earth for the week ClapLOL

Agreed Big%20smile

-------------
Idk, My BFF Steve.

http://imageshack.us">

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 00:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hhahha...  f**king A....

It will take me some time... But I promise I'll bring Steven Seagal into this discussion...Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:16
What the?

As far as i know and as far as anyone that i know who is old enough to have lived that period Rush was NOT a progressive rock band neither a progressive metal one (what the hell?), just a terrific HARD ROCK band. It just happens that people who lived when history is in the making don't know the exact outcome of things and, about Rush, that was what happened. some years later (i think on the early 90's, already in internet chat things) Rush's classification changed widely to progressive rock wile it was still a hard rock band, which was quite reasonable since they for sure had some of the progressive rock elements.

Nowadays its classification is changing again to progressive metal. People, we HAVE to remember that, if we are going to change Rush's classification we'd better change also Deep Purple's and Led Zeppelin's to metal and also keep in mind that the measuring stick for old school metal is Black Sabbath. Come on, think about it: if Rush indeed was a progressive metal band, they would not had only invented progressive metal, but also they would be one of the inventors of metal itself.

i wish i could have thought that, since it falls right into what i just said: some classifications are just forced, like putting Rush in the prog metal genre. Just let it be where it belongs: the hard rock session (and occasionally on the prog rock Tongue).

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:25

What the?

As far as i know and as far as anyone that i know who is old enough to have lived that period Rush was NOT a progressive rock band neither a progressive metal one (what the hell?), just a terrific HARD ROCK band. It just happens that people who lived when history is in the making don't know the exact outcome of things and, about Rush, that was what happened. some years later (i think on the early 90's, already in internet chat things) Rush's classification changed widely to progressive rock wile it was still a hard rock band, which was quite reasonable since they for sure had some of the progressive rock elements.

Nowadays its classification is changing again to progressive metal. People, we HAVE to remember that, if we are going to change Rush's classification we'd better change also Deep Purple's and Led Zeppelin's to metal and also keep in mind that the measuring stick for old school metal is Black Sabbath. Come on, think about it: if Rush indeed was a progressive metal band, they would not had only invented progressive metal, but also they would be one of the inventors of metal itself.

I'm to young to know first hand, but from the various discussions I gather that there are two major theories: One defines that everything as heavy as Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild is metal (consider the line "heavy metal thunder" ...). The other one defines this type of music as "hard rock". I belong to the latter (obviously), and generally the younger people are, the more they'll tend to choose "hard rock" as a label for those bands since they grew up with modern metal of the 1980s.

Of course there's a third alternative: Instead of "hard rock" you could say "classic metal", or "heavy metal". But it's all a bit ambiguous no matter how you put it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:52
Re: Rush - I suppose it must be a geographical thing.

Iron Maiden were viewed in some areas as Progressive, but not in their home country.

Rush were viewed as Progressive - but crucially got lumped in with metal, as they were to metal to be Prog Rock. This might not have been the case everywhere on earth.

The point is, that there's a reason Rush were considered this way - all this discussion of labels sticking is bogus - I'm trying to get away from labels and into essence - REALITY.

The line in Steppenwolf's song is so often quoted it's not funny - but yes, that music is considered Heavy Metal by some - and who is to say they're wrong?

Before Steppenwolf released that song, there was an album released in 1967, which featured one of the heaviest bands of the time, Art, who later became Spooky Tooth, who created stuff that sounds like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (who used one of Spooky Tooth's 1968 riffs on "Master of Reality", IIRC), before those bands released anything. A song from that same album was covered by Judas Priest - famously, as it got them into trouble. There is no question that Judas Priest are Heavy Metal, yet they did not change the song (apart from allegedly hiding messages in it... Wink).

The album I refer to is called Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids (Art). Heavy Metal refers to the music they played, and is the first reference I know of in popular music. 

It's also true to say, as I pointed out in my "What is Prog?" blog, that the first released album to refer to the music contained on it as "Progressive Rock" is Eclection's self-titled debut - yet who else has even heard of that, let alone heard it?

This discussion has changed to "What is Heavy Metal?" - and I feel another blog coming on (as if I didn't have enough in progress...).

If you're going to classify, you need to identify more explicit ways of identifying it, rather than succumbing to pressure from what is felt to be "popular" opinion.

Imagine if popular opinion was that humans couldn't possibly be related to apes... would scientists agree?

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 08:11
^ these labels have little or nothing to do with scientific reasoning. That's one of the reasons why on my website I'm trying to move from complex genre labels to simple, clearly defined tags. Of course some of the "fuzzy" labels are difficult to split ... I'm not sure if I can find a set of simple tags which you could use to construct the genre label "metal" with. But it can't hurt to try! 

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 10:37
The labels themselves have nothing to do with scientific reasoning, it's true, but, under analysis, there are clear connections between groups that tend to get labelled a certain way. People want to label and classify, which is why there are so many labels around.

Generally, this is more true of popular music until the end of the last millenium - it is a very recent thing to get as fuzzy as it currently is, for which the Internet is mainly to blame. There have always been fuzzy edges in defining any type of music, we're not talking about Euclidean geometry or anything as precise as that.

Fuzzy logic is as good a term as any to describe what I'm thinking about.

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 10:46
The problem is that labels are not properly defined ... they're "coined", and usually by people with no certified (sic) background in music, such as fans or reviewers. They lump bands or albums together because in their opinion they're similar, based on whatever criteria they see fit. I guess we both have the same motive: We attempt to unify the criteria used to define these genre labels. But since the way they're commonly used conflicts with this scientific approach, our attempts might be doomed to fail.

Maybe the best solution is to come up with a brand new label, one that hasn't been used before. My suggestion: "difolkaw". Yeah, "Difolkaw Rock" and "Difolkaw Metal", that will clear things up!Wink

-------------

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:23

What the?

i wish i could have thought that, since it falls right into what i just said: some classifications are just forced, like putting Rush in the prog metal genre. Just let it be where it belongs: the hard rock session (and occasionally on the prog rock Tongue).

I want to interject here. It was with Rush's second release, the first with monster Peart, that they headed into Prog. By-Tor and the Snow Dog was, IMO,  a creation with inadvertent  Prog elements. Yes, they were hard rock, but they turned the corner with this release. Only those well versed in their material witnessed this. Those that only knew Fly By Night, the song, would see them as merely hard rock.

They contributed heavily to the future of what would be Prog Metal. I think investigating some current Prog Metal band inspirations will show this.

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:25
/\
Mike, you meant labels like progressive rock, hard rock and progressive metal right? Because Death metal was properly coined by Possessed and black metal was properly coined by Venom. . . .

Strangely enough, Spooky Tooth is labeled progressive rock on Wikipedia . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooky_Tooth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooky_Tooth

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:27
Another point with labeling, what heavy metal was back in 1981 is not what it is today. I remember well those old days as a teenager. What was deemed heavy metal? Ever see the animated movie with the same title? Hello? Sammy Hagar was added to the genre.

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:34
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I want to interject here. It was with Rush's second release, the first with monster Peart, that they headed into Prog. By-Tor and the Snow Dog was, IMO,  a creation with inadvertent  Prog elements. Yes, they were hard rock, but they turned the corner with this release. Only those well versed in their material witnessed this. Those that only knew Fly By Night, the song, would see them as merely hard rock.

They contributed heavily to the future of what would be Prog Metal. I think investigating some current Prog Metal band inspirations will show this.

That is not any problem viewing them today as a progressive rock band, but i personally know people who lived that time and they say that Rush is merely a INCREDIBLE, TERRIFIC, etc, hard rock band, just like Uriah Heep, and thats it. They recognize that they had some prog elements, but that don't change the fact, for them, that Rush is a hard rock band.

Maybe Rush should be left as a had rock band with progressive elements or a hard/heavy/whatever progressive rock band, but never a heavy metal neither a progressive metal band. Hell, even Geddy Lee dislikes the label, just like he said (if i am not mistaken) on the documentary METAL: A Headbanger's Journey (available on Youtube).

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:36

Another point with labeling, what heavy metal was back in 1981 is not what it is today. I remember well those old days as a teenager. What was deemed heavy metal? Ever see the animated movie with the same title? Hello? Sammy Hagar was added to the genre.

Well, he is not on Metal Archives . . . Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:40

Nor should he be! Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:53

Anyway, this happened because this kind of music evolved into something different, unlike what happened to Rush: their music still recorded inside their albums, just like 30 years ago! The only thing that changed is our heads! We must not give in to these foul influences and make our ground: Rush is NOT progressive metal.

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 13:39

/\
Mike, you meant labels like progressive rock, hard rock and progressive metal right? Because Death metal was properly coined by Possessed and black metal was properly coined by Venom. . . .

Strangely enough, Spooky Tooth is labeled progressive rock on Wikipedia . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooky_Tooth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooky_Tooth

I don't find that strange at all Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 14:29
/\

lol me neither LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 14:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBz8Vw2JXwg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBz8Vw2JXwg

I *love* that song!Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 15:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBz8Vw2JXwg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBz8Vw2JXwg

I *love* that song!Big%20smile

O crap, the cheese is flowing through my computer screen LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 16:48
Rush were considered prog rock - not metal - way back in the early 80s, at least on the U.S. West Coast, especially when compared to other non-progressive bands popular at the time (Police, AC/DC, Priest, Zeppelin)   ..let's try to get a grip

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 18:21

Rush were considered prog rock - not metal - way back in the early 80s, at least on the U.S. West Coast, especially when compared to other non-progressive bands popular at the time (Police, AC/DC, Priest, Zeppelin)   ..let's try to get a grip

Sure!

ALL YOU GUYS GER BACK TO TROPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or else . . . .

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 18:56

Wait, there was Prog Metal genre in the early 80s?

-------------

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 18:59

Sure!

ALL YOU GUYS GER BACK TO TROPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or else . . . .

ok now what do we do
(sorry, had to Wacko Wink)

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 19:01

Well, as far as i know now there was brutal raw black metal on the early 70's! Confused

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 19:38

that's not what I meant, and though there wasn't 'progmetal' in the early 80s, there was a small amount of heavy metal that was progressive, it's just no one except a few musicians called it 'progressive metal' so in a way, it didn't really exist yet except to those who started to see progression in the music of Maiden, AngelWitch, Ozzy's first two albums and the impact it had on the San Francisco 'prog metal' scene; Metal Church, Anvil Chorus, Bleu Food, and Metallica

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 20:36

that's not what I meant, and though there wasn't 'progmetal' in the early 80s, there was a small amount of heavy metal that was progressive, it's just no one except a few musicians called it 'progressive metal' so in a way, it didn't really exist yet except to those who started to see progression in the music of Maiden, AngelWitch, Ozzy's first two albums and the impact it had on the San Francisco 'prog metal' scene; Metal Church, Anvil Chorus, Bleu Food, and Metallica

AHÁ! I KNEW IT! I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO THINK THAT METALLICA IS PROGRESSIVE! (at least in their 4 firsts albums)

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2008 at 21:15

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

A few comments here

I believe you're making a generalization about Krautrock that denies it's essence, Krautrock started as German Psyche, and for that reason exploring foreign influences rarely used in Rock before.

Yes, they have repetitive rhythm, but the exploration of the posibilities is in other point, they were the first to really use the heavy atmospheres and the spacey sounds, so they explored the posibilities as Emerson said, not my cup of tea, but they really deserve the name of Prog.

DB - Ivan, Krautrock is just a favourite target of mine. I often find one man's music is another's noise; yet both might use the same terms to describe the one they like. Is Faust's debut any less noisy than,say a Death album? BTW, it was meant as a joke ...Tongue

That's called reduction to absurd, and would only work if the screams and noise were an exclusive characteristic of a non Prog genre, but it's not, you have noise in early Psyche if not listen Careful with that Axe Eugene also with early Hard Prog, you can listen Uriah Heep or Deep Purple or even the distorted noises that King Crimson used and Uriah Heep, or the noises inclueded in early space Pink Flyd albums .

Noise can be found anywhere.

DB - I unfortunately have recently found it in the right front tie rod end on my 2002 Saturn. Again, the intent is to make fun of some of the terminology that can be used when dismissing one genre of music . I sometimes surprise myself at times. This past winter, on an acquaintance's recommendation, I picked up Napalm Death's "The Code Is Red, Long Live The Code". At first, it was, well ... a noise fest. Then later, I actually came to like it for what it is - a noise fest LOL But it is good for blowing out the tubes when you're feeling blah.

Loud guitars: Marillion, Heep, Deep Purple, Kansas, Genesis (Listen Giant Hogweed), Rush,

Screams: Have you ever listened the Musical Box Final section, or Giant Hogweed or Supper's Ready? Of course if you don't want to mention David Byron, David Surkamp, Geddy Lee, etc and even the ballad oriented Greg Lake singing 21st Century Schizoid Man with heavy distorted guitars.

There are screams everywhere.

DB - again , humour. The old Rock n Roll adage - If it's too F**king loud, you're too
F**king old. I love it Loud. Sometimes. other times calm and quiet. Add to that, I'm a big fan of Bon Scott AC/DC (their raw period), and the Fast Eddie Motorhead ( the punks fave metal group)

I don't believe so, instruments don't make the music, musicians make the music.

DB - exactly

Honestly, I believe not.
DB - and you are right

Ask a doctor, may be the same virus that attacked Phil Collins and caused him tinittus. LOL

Iván

DB - nah, that from hitting your snare & cymbals too hard. I know, because one night at a jam, I played bass. I only noticed at the end that my left ear was about a foot or two from those two percussions. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2008 at 05:56

AHÁ! I KNEW IT! I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO THINK THAT METALLICA IS PROGRESSIVE! (at least in their 4 firsts albums)

Indeed not  - but are you familiar with Diamond Head's "Lightining to the Nations" album?

It's every bit as progressive in its own terms as Metallica (and obviously, one of Metallica's main "inspirations") - the way they were marketed was as a Progressive Heavy Metal band, I seem to recall.

Highly recommended to fans of Metallica's first 4 albums (and metal in general really - it makes everything they did afterwards seem tame by comparison).

-------------

Posted By: moltenlava
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 23:42
Well, isn't everything relative?  One can use the Progressive Metal band, 'Spiral Architect' as the model, or standard of comparsion and ask how  the bands of the early 70's are progressive?  I don't know who here has heard this band before, but the only early 70's band that comes close to the level/degree of  progressive-ness is 'Mahavishnu Orchestra'.   Damn shame that there is only one 'SA' album too.  Yet, other bands or records would serve just as well as the model, like the first 'Aghora' album.   There's some Prog-Metal that makes some Prog-Rock look rather pedestrian, and there's certainly several examples of the opposite.   Schitt, I'm of the opinion that 'Neo-Prog' really means 'not prog at all'.

Posted By: moltenlava
Date Posted: July 07 2008 at 15:28
Then, there's a few new 'Metal' bands that are so busy being ridiculously progressive, that they've completely  forgetten to infuse the music with all the many elements that makes music pleasant to listen to.  The things that increase its replay value.  There's two rather newish bands called 'Belhold...The Arctopus' and 'Blotted Science' that have based their entire approach off  of 'changes'.   Their entire gig is discovering the changes which will take them from one small section to the next, all in a break-neck succession....or progression.  These bands are representative of the MOST progressive music I've ever heard.  Totally destroys bands like YES and Nektar in terms of being progressive.  Take the album 'Thick as a Brick' and all of those changes that occur over the entire 40+ minutes,  and then jam them into the first few minutes and you have 'Blotted Science'....BUT, unlike Tull's masterpiece recording,  these new Prog-Metal groups deliver absolutely no melody, no interesting or memorable hooks, no carfefully constructed chorus and no harmonic interplay.   EVERYTHING is based off of the changes.  And, after listening to the debut from Blotted Science' , you really are left quite impressed by what they've done....or, at least you should be.   But, once it's over, you're looking for your Rush and Pink Floyd records.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk