Print Page | Close Window

Sick of David Bowie choking up the site yet ?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49854
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 00:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sick of David Bowie choking up the site yet ?
Posted By: Yorkie X
Subject: Sick of David Bowie choking up the site yet ?
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:10
why not ask the question I'm interested in knowing the answer besides whats a little negativity now and again ?  keeps things interesting Smile

Replies:
Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:15
Nope,the man's a genius.

Plus,it will die down after awhile.

-------------

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:16
Not really, people are just getting out years worth of reviews all at once.

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

it will die down after awhile.

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:21
* sick of prog related polls in the "prog polls" section*

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:37
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

* sick of prog related polls in the "prog polls" section*
is there a place for prog related polls ? Smile

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:38
General Music DiscussionsSmile

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:39
Uh, no. 

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 15:36
Is there not already enough stuff on this site for any single thing to really choke it up anyway? Ermm 
Granted adding any big name artist will result in review overload, but it does die down eventually.

Now I could paraphrase Fripp, I may not have enough of Bowie but I've had enough of you. LOL

But I was not here and I did not say that. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 15:45
It's dying down already - there's only one Bowie review on the main page at the time I write this.

A little positivity doesn't hurt either, especially on mondays.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 15:48
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

It's dying down already - there's only one Bowie review on the main page at the time I write this.A little positivity doesn't hurt either, especially on mondays.

Mondays? It's Tuesday...well at least in my country. 15 hs of difference?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 15:56
Sorry?

What choking?

How many reviews?

The most ratings he's had for any single album is 8.

The only way you'll coke on 8 reviews is if they are made in the same factory that also processes peanuts! Tongue

Just looked at the current Reviews RSS feed ( http://feeds.feedburner.com/progarchives/reviews - http://feeds.feedburner.com/progarchives/reviews ) - last 50 reviews 3 for Bowie, 4 for Focus...

-------------
What?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 01 2008 at 15:58
Humorously provocative intent, or not, I'm ever, ever so slightly "sick" of the "Choking up the site" topics (though with only two such recent choking topics, they are hardly choking up the site) -- haha.  The "tired of Tech-Extreme Metal choking up the site?" one was locked, I wonder how this will fare?  Will it choke quickly, or linger on?

Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

why not ask the question I'm interested in knowing the answer besides whats a little negativity now and again ?  keeps things interesting Smile

I voted in the negative, as in "No, I am not getting sick of him."  As to the topic title question: I could not possibly be sick of him choking up the site because he is not choking up the site.  And there is currently only one review of a David Bowie album on the site's front page.

I like Bowie; so I'm happy to see people discussing his music. Thumbs%20Up  Just thinking about him makies me choke me up... Excuse me *wipes tear from eye* I'm feeling all beklempt.  Talk amongst yourselves.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:33
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

It's dying down already - there's only one Bowie review on the main page at the time I write this.A little positivity doesn't hurt either, especially on mondays.

Mondays? It's Tuesday...well at least in my country. 15 hs of difference?

Yikes. I was made on a monday, so it must be my factory defect that backfires at me here. Confused

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:20

At first I was tempted to answer 'yes', but I realise that this has more to do with me being generally underwhelmed by Bowies output, so the vote would actually be more of a comment on my (non)-appreciation of a certain artist than a direct response to the question.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 21:03
I don't think there is an indigestion of Bowie mania considering the huge status of the man. I remember when LED ZEP, the WHO entered PA, it was more animated with a whole lot more reviews written than what i see presently for Bowie.

No we are not dying of a Bowie overdose yetBig%20smile

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 22:32
I find choking sexually stimulating, so this doesn't bother me at all.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

That's the spirit! Tongue

The choking on Bowie pales to insignificance compared to the review flood that Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and other controversial additions caused.  But, fer cryin' out loud they are classified in one of the two categories that says they are on the fringes.  Since the line between what is prog and what isn't is a blurry one for me I don't give a damn next stop Vietnam for some chili-garlic sauce or something.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 23:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

That's the spirit! Tongue

The choking on Bowie pales to insignificance compared to the review flood that Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and other controversial additions caused.  But, fer cryin' out loud they are classified in one of the two categories that says they are on the fringes.  Since the line between what is prog and what isn't is a blurry one for me I don't give a damn next stop Vietnam for some chili-garlic sauce or something.

And it's one-two-three what are we fightin' for...

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 01:05
If anything is choking the site up its these stupid threads.

Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 07:02
Anyone for starting up an I'm sick and tired of these sick of choking up the archives thread thread? Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 07:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Anyone for starting up an I'm sick and tired of these sick of choking up the archives thread thread? Tongue
I would, but I'm choked up at being sick and tired of I'm sick and tired of these sick of choking up the archives thread threads

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 10:33
Arf, barf, barf!

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 11:51
I've noticed a drastic cut back on the Bowie reviews. So now the complainers can go back to whinging about the "overwhelming" (?) amount of prog metal reviews. Myself, I'm worried about the tidal wave of obscure prog folk groups being covered. Tongue

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Nope,the man's a genius.

ClapClap

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Clap

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 15:14
There's no such thing as too much Bowie. He's got a knack for altering his sound whenever it suits him. Unlike, you know, other things that have been choking up the site LOL

Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 00:24
I can always take an overflow of Deep Purple & Uriah Heep reviews of their "progressive music" meisterworks released over the course of a century of playing Wink. Just don't ask me to consider the performer who put out some mid-career opuses as somewhat deserving of my "prog" attention Clown

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 07:01
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I can always take an overflow of Deep Purple & Uriah Heep reviews of their "progressive music" meisterworks released over the course of a century of playing Wink. Just don't ask me to consider the performer who put out some mid-career opuses as somewhat deserving of my "prog" attention Clown

You know the correct response to your concerns is to contribute some reviews yourself?Wink

As for Bowie, too few reviews IMO. Quite sad!!!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 07:42
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

yeah so much for choking up the site huh... 

as far as Bowie...  he is an artist that can not be easily labeled or pigeonholed..  by the trolls ... or even the prog purists. Thus that has blunted the expected wave of rioting in the streets that some here, including the admins I believe, feared upon his addition. Personally...  I always thought there would be no  rioting since fully half this forum had always supported his addition strongly.  The other half.. were composed of  those that flimsily latched on to some label ..like a glam label.. or those who saw that his addition was dangerous to their notions of what prog is.. or what this site should be and were opposed more on principal rather than the artist himself. Who not surprisingly.. could have gone in 4 subgenres here.

As far as reviews... they'll come ...rather than in floods ... more a trickle over the long haul. Judging by feedback.. and various threads and polls over the last couple of years..many know some of man and his output.. similar to Zappa..  it takes some effort and time to follow him and his output .. and changes in direction.  (had watched them.. including Bowie here was a goal from my first day here  hahha.. just a patient soul)

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 08:26
For all Bowie fans:

http://www.myspace.com/pagansmind - http://www.myspace.com/pagansmind

Check out their excellent cover of Hallo Spaceboy ... I read in an interview that even Bowie himself commended it.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 10:31
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

You know the correct response to your concerns is to contribute some reviews yourself?Wink

True, considering the wealth of classic albums that he's put out. The swell diminished very quickly to a trickle, if you compare it to the period after the whole tech/extreme metal genre's birth.
Both comments were btw, very tongue and cheek. Though I would be ill-suited to defend Purple & Heep's prog credentials. Oh, wait ... they both have that big Hammond organ sound !
 I sometimes wonder why people can't simply overlook the reviews they don't care for. Whether it's due to the genre or band.
As for my own reviews, I have a few coming up. The DVDs of Fish - Return to Childhood, Marillion's Recital of the Script. I want to rent From Stoke Row to Ipenema, then submit all three.
Then I'll trash some krautrock and Zeuhl, and iconisize some Ange,Split Enz, and Moody Blues albums

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk