URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49860
Printed Date: June 06 2024 at 22:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Progarchives.com Under Intensive Attacks
Posted By: M@X
Subject: Progarchives.com Under Intensive Attacks
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 01:42
Hi all,

Progarchives.com is currently under intense and continuous attacks (multi SQL Injections / seconds) so it affects the performance a lot and may explain the recents slow loading times and timeouts.

We (Graphix and me) are working are assess to fix this, we have a solution and working on it.

Thanks for your support, in theses though times.

PS: I think ProgNosis suffers from the same attackers.

-------------
Prog On !

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 01:48
I sit here impatient and annoyed that the site isn't working, and forget that meanwhile you guys are busting your humps fending off constants assault  ..many thanks to both of you

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 01:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I sit here impatient and annoyed that the site isn't working, and forget that meanwhile you guys are busting your humps fending off constants assault  ..many thanks to both of you

Indeed. We are eternally grateful Clap

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:00
I wonder what is the point of these attacks.
Anyway, best wishes to those trying to help.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:04
Good luck!

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:06
I thought vengeful internet nerds liked prog? I'm just surprised someone cares enough to bother with anything more complicated than a DDoS.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:07
Thanks for all your hard work, M@x and helpers. Sometimes I don't understand people.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:15

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:19

Who the f**k does this anyway? Have these people anything better to do? Like jerking off or something? f**k, it really pisses me off.. Losers with a laptop.... and we here trying to make an art form live... while losers take their frustrations on bothering other people....

More Clapto mailto:M@x - M@x and everyone involved in keeping PA alive...

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:22
M@X - great job!

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:55
Don't let these jokers put down PA - after all this is a way of life - prog music. Some losers who has nothing to do just sit on computer and make desaster anywhere they put a finger, it really pisses me off.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:08
I figured something serious was going on... Good luck in getting rid of them demons!!!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Clap

Nice one M@X - we knew we could rely on you - even if you are on a world tour...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:18
Yes, thanks for everything you all do to maintain this INCREDIBLE site!

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:18

Losers with a laptop.... and we here trying to make an art form live... while losers take their frustrations on bothering other people

Ain't that always the way Teo?

It's always the same - you get a group of people genuinely doing their best to build up a great website, and all some can do is stand back, watch & try to screw it up for everyone.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:48
So who might have a grudge against Progarchives and ProgNosis, a disgruntled ex-member??

Keep up the good work Max and Graphix

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:51
Thanks for the work, mailto:M@x - M@x .
People are strange, aren't they? I bet they're sitting back and enjoying the activities that their actons have caused.
Weird how the destructive side of human nature seems to work.

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:56
Better call out the heavy artillery.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:42
I don't know the server software, but it seems like the most important thing is to recognize script requests *before* they hit the database layer. Of course if there are simply too many script requests for forum pages which don't submit any malicious information, it's simply a denial of service attack which you can only prevent by blocking the offending IP addresses. And if the attack is launch from arbitrary, bot-controlled computers then there really isn't much that can be done.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:51
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

So who might have a grudge against Progarchives and ProgNosis, a disgruntled ex-member??

I sure the attack was purely in the interests of monetary gain (SQL Injection is used to get information out of the database) - but like many of these attacks - it failed in its original purpose because it broke the site.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 06:04
mailto:M@X - M@X , this has happened to ProgGnosis as well.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 06:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I sure the attack was purely in the interests of monetary gain (SQL Injection is used to get information out of the database) - but like many of these attacks - it failed in its original purpose because it broke the site.

That's one possibility ... but sql injection can also be used to add to or modify the database. For example, hackers might try to add javascript calls to all the reviews stored in the database ... then when visitors view PA pages which contain reviews, that javascript might look for vulnerabilies in their browsers and try to install spyware or make the computer part of a bot net.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 06:35
Excellent Max!  Things seem to be running smoother.  Let's hope these issues stay away from now on. Clap 

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 06:42
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That's one possibility ... but sql injection can also be used to add to or modify the database. For example, hackers might try to add javascript calls to all the reviews stored in the database ... then when visitors view PA pages which contain reviews, that javascript might look for vulnerabilies in their browsers and try to install spyware or make the computer part of a bot net.
...yes and that too... but the intent is still for gain not to bring down the site.

-------------
What?

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 09:25

Who the f**k does this anyway? Have these people anything better to do? Like jerking off or something? f**k, it really pisses me off.. Losers with a laptop.... and we here trying to make an art form live... while losers take their frustrations on bothering other people....

More Clapto mailto:M@x - M@x and everyone involved in keeping PA alive...

With Hackett's Every Day blaring in the background, I must remind everyone that my daily routine involves remembering French philosopher JJ Rousseau's comment " The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog!" . Losers are not K-9s , so what do you really expect, seemingly there are some low-grade mini-PC terrorists out there who get off on sabotage, since nothing else will! No matter the PA Defence Forces will overcome . Now if we could only strike back! LOL 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 09:43
Two things:

First of all, why the hell would anyone want to attack this site in the first place? It's just an innocent place where proggers unite and share interests, review albums etc etc... it's not like we're hurting or insulting anyone is it?

Second of all, the people that are attacking us really need to get some friends, some action and maybe even a better hobby than using the internet for bad.

Thanks again to our guardian angel admins also for keeping this site running smoothly, very much appreciated over here Clap

Also, the admins on PA are way smarter than these cheesedick internet terrorists. i doubt anything will happen to PA.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 09:52
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Two things:

First of all, why the hell would anyone want to attack this site in the first place? It's just an innocent place where proggers unite and share interests, review albums etc etc... it's not like we're hurting or insulting anyone is it?

Perhaps Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Simon Cowell have invested some of their cash in a shady IT consultancy company?

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 09:52
Keep up the good work M@x and company.

-------------

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 09:53
I think PunkArchives is taking vengeance at Hammill getting added as "punk-related" there. Tongue

Anyway, good luck, hopefully this can get resolved but personally I don't get how or why anybody would attack prog websites of all places.  I wonder if it's the same person/group as before?

-------------

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:30
Keep up it. ClapClap I was able to log in today which is more than I could last night...so we're seeing improvements.  Mucho kudos to mailto:M@x - M@x for protecting the site even while on his travelsClapClapClapClapClap

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:33
It seems these sort of attacks are pretty random, and do not usually signify we are a chosen target.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:35
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Two things:

Perhaps Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Simon Cowell have invested some of their cash in a shady IT consultancy company?

Pah! They're just jealous because we found good music before they did

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:51
I figured it was an attack.  Has to be one of the longest outages I've experienced, though.

ProgArchives will never die!  Bwahaha Evil%20Smile

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:52
I knew you guys were on it and that you'd defeat the evil sprites responsible.  Great job!
(Probably some disgruntled Back Street Boys fans...)

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 11:25
Maybe Harry has an evil twin who wants to destroy his life? LOL

Thanks mailto:m@x - m@x and everyone else helping keep the site up Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 11:30
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Thanks mailto:m@x - m@x and everyone else helping keep the site up Thumbs%20Up
I'll second that ClapClap and would like to add: and not only in times under attack! Thanks a million, guys, be assured that your work is appreciated! ClapClap

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:15
Huge amounts of kudos is due to the guys in the background keeping this excellent site up and running ClapClapClap

Originally posted by Guzzman Guzzman wrote:

ClapClap and would like to add: and not only in times under attack! Thanks a million, guys, be assured that your work is appreciated! ClapClap

Agreed. Big%20smile

[Edit] - but let's just hope these attacks die down soon, or else a witch hunt may be in order Wink

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:25
At least that explains why the site has been sooo slow.
What an a**hole.......

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:26
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Maybe Harry has an evil twin who wants to destroy his life? LOL

LOL   good one Mike.

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:32
Hi guys,

thanks for the support, really needed in theses days because , I am starting to loose my patience.

It's the same old attackers from the Christmas Attack when we loose 500 albums in the wave.

To answer MikeEnReglia, it's a HEX-Encoded sql query send in the URL that update or insert junk html/javascript in the data columns. I installed in the past a URLScan tool to prevent long URL execution.

Now , I need to warn everybody of a coming downtime to install a FIREWALL on the server ( another hit on the cash machine  )

So it is suppose to be between 7PM EST to 11PM EST Wedsneday, July 3.

Server may be down some time.

Thanks again for the support. We do our best ...

We will survive....!!!

Prog On !

NP: Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:32
Now I understand  the slowings and other problems occuring.
Some people have really  too many free time.
Big thanks to M@x for protecting our favourite site!

ClapClap

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 14:02
These people should be nailed to a chair and forced to listen to Dream Theater. (joke). Seriously, why?

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 15:05
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Hi guys,

thanks for the support, really needed in theses days because , I am starting to loose my patience.

It's the same old attackers from the Christmas Attack when we loose 500 albums in the wave.

To answer MikeEnReglia, it's a HEX-Encoded sql query send in the URL that update or insert junk html/javascript in the data columns. I installed in the past a URLScan tool to prevent long URL execution.

Now , I need to warn everybody of a coming downtime to install a FIREWALL on the server ( another hit on the cash machine  )

So it is suppose to be between 7PM EST to 11PM EST Wedsneday, July 3.

Server may be down some time.

Thanks again for the support. We do our best ...

We will survive....!!!

Prog On !

NP: Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Even though I didn't understand a single conceot in the 3 sentence LOL, this deserves a ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

(And as a side note, the last sentence deserves more ClapClapClapClapClap.... I always knew Ownership meant Wisdom...TongueTongue)

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 15:55
As many others have said thanks to mailto:M@X - M@X andteam and keep up the good work! ClapHugClap

Prog always comes out on top. Approve

And the site has been a lot faster since coming back on line last night/morning so even more ClapClapClap

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 15:59
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Punk rock is attacking again!!!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 16:02
Angry
Stupid people really Censored me off.

Keep up the good work mailto:M@x - M@x in protecting this site from the mindless barbarians.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 17:49
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Angry

Keep up the good work mailto:M@x - M@x in protecting this site from the mindless barbarians.

But you got in anyway!!!!

Tongue

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 17:50
A huge thank you to the admins for dealing with this crap and keeping the site up and running. I was so bummed out last night when I couldn't log on. :(

And I was worried that Prog Archives would disappear...

But it's back and seems to be working and I for one am happy about that. :)

-------------
Prog fan since 1974.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 18:28

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Angry

But you got in anyway!!!!

Tongue

You'd be amazed at the things you can get away with if the bribe is right.  Wink

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 18:31
For Graphix who isn't getting enough credit and M@x, thanks for the good workThumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 20:20
Thank you for keeping this site alive for us mailto:M@X - M@X and graphix, I had to post this quick because Harry's signature was staring at me. He looks hungry too...

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 20:39
Good work guys!

Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 21:28
OK the installation of the FIREWALL will be postponed, ill let you know but it will be soon and have a small downtime.

Thanks again for the support !!!!!!!!!!!! It's charge us up !

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 02 2008 at 22:11
Bravo guys for all the efforts...Clap

-------------

Posted By: The Prognaut
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 00:50
Eternally grateful to all who make the Archives possible no matter what!!!!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 03:09
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

You know what?, it probably is a punk fan. I know there are websites out there that soul purpose is to run down prog and promote punk... I'm serious. Also the fact that there are music critics who go out of their way to attack prog, and and the rock and roll hall of fame ignoring 99% of prog.
Why not? Some people have nothing better to do with their lives than to try and destroy others happiness, because they are unhappy themselves.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 03:35
I'd never want to be in favor with the industry anyway, what fun is that...

Posted By: BrianB
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 04:27
I would like to add my thanks to those keeping this site defended from these vandals.
I work in the compuer field myself so I know what you are up against.
Pity these wastes of space could not use their computer skills to achive somthing worthwhile instead of mindless destruction.

-------------
"In music the passions enjoy themselves."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

These people should be nailed to a chair and forced to listen to Dream Theater. (joke). Seriously, why?

I'd say that Phil Collins' Tarzan soundtrack would be a more fitting punishment.

Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 19:36
The SQL errors are back...

Could be a glitch, or the hackers are trying differerent methods to get through the system.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 20:40
The server is stiill beign attacked right now, but we try to block it with a software and it use the CPU of the server a lot -- so until we have a HARWARE FIREWALL who will blocks attacks, we may get slow and timeout issues.

The firewall is being installed right now ... so some down time may occur in the coming hour

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 21:21
hope it all works out well Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: July 03 2008 at 21:23
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

The server is stiill beign attacked right now, but we try to block it with a software and it use the CPU of the server a lot -- so until we have a HARWARE FIREWALL who will blocks attacks, we may get slow and timeout issues.The firewall is being installed right now ... so some down time may occur in the coming hour

GOOD LUCK!

We're all pleased with your work on PA, thx again!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 07:42
Hopefully the firewall will keep the hacker t**sers out, but I'm still getting SQL timeouts.

Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 08:27
Hmmm - me too, annoying isn't it??

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Luke. J
Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 11:40
I got them since I registered here, so that is not really new for me..
By the way, what was wrong with the pain page? It just showed up the links, no reviews, no announcements, everything gone..

Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 11:42
Shocked

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 11:48
^ it's okay - it's just slow, the rest of it does appear eventually.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by Luke. J Luke. J wrote:

I got them since I registered here, so that is not really new for me..
By the way, what was wrong with the pain page? It just showed up the links, no reviews, no announcements, everything gone..

I enjoyed the sadomasochism of it quite a lot, maybe it's just not your type...

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: July 04 2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

You know what?, it probably is a punk fan. I know there are websites out there that soul purpose is to run down prog and promote punk... I'm serious. Also the fact that there are music critics who go out of their way to attack prog, and and the rock and roll hall of fame ignoring 99% of prog.
Why not? Some people have nothing better to do with their lives than to try and destroy others happiness, because they are unhappy themselves.
I doubt it. I didn't realize the nature of the attacks originally. If they wanted to destroy the site, they'd be trying to put messages up taunting everyone, not attempting to get information about it and only succeeding in taking it down temporarily.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: MonkeyphoneAlex
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 19:56

I for one blame punk rock.

-------------
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ

Posted By: MonkeyphoneAlex
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

I doubt it. I didn't realize the nature of the attacks originally. If they wanted to destroy the site, they'd be trying to put messages up taunting everyone, not attempting to get information about it and only succeeding in taking it down temporarily.

Ha, I see people have already jumped to that conclusion!

-------------
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 05:20
Originally posted by MonkeyphoneAlex MonkeyphoneAlex wrote:

I for one blame punk rock.

/cosigned.

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: July 14 2008 at 12:46
I just wanted to come by and thank mailto:M@X - M@X and everyone who helps keep this site up. Clap You guys are great!

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: January 27 2009 at 15:14
Good luck to those brave souls trying to fix it!Thumbs Up

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 27 2009 at 15:26
Me too!

The site is definitely running smoothly again. Thanks for all the work that we (the users) don't see ! Clap

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: January 27 2009 at 16:41
LOL It'd better be, after six months...

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 02:08
I know, but I didn't react six months ago. Better late than never LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk