Print Page | Close Window

Can Barclay James Harvest count?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50081
Printed Date: January 21 2018 at 00:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Can Barclay James Harvest count?
Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Subject: Can Barclay James Harvest count?
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 09:24
 
Why is their eleventh album called XII??!! Am I missing something?
 
1. Barclay James Harvest (1970)
2. Once Again (1971)
3. Barclay James Harvest and Other Short Stories (1971)
4. Baby James Harvest (1972)
5. Everyone Is Everybody Else (1974)
6. Barclay James Harvest Live (1974)
7. Time Honoured Ghosts (1975)
8. Octoberon (1976)
9. Gone to Earth (1977)
10. Live Tapes (1978)
11. XII (1978)
 
Is there another album that I don't know of or have they miscounted?

 




Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 09:52
they must have counted the compilation Early Morning Onwards, in their sums.

-------------
"You know what uranium is, right?
It’s this thing called nuclear weapons.
And other things.
Like lots of things are done with uranium.
Including some bad things.
But nobody talks about that."


Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:08
The band website says:
 
"Pretty obvious, really, but it only works out as BJH's twelfth album if you ignore the Starline compilation Early Morning Onwards, which was deleted by then, and include live albums and EMI's The Best Of Barclay James Harvest. The title was also appropriate because the band members had been working together for twelve years. At one point, the working title was High, and the sleeve would have been based on Woolly's sunset photograph which eventually adorned his solo album, Mæstoso. "
 
I tend to go with Dean's theory though. It's more likely they would count an album issued with their blessing (Early morning onwards) which mopped up material unavailable on other albums, than a "Best of" compilation released after they had left the record label.


Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 23:05
What always bugged me was that Peter Hammill's pH7 was his eight studio album.  

-------------



Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: July 11 2008 at 23:37
The old Firesign Theater joke, yes they can count, but only to ten.


Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 06:24
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

The band website says:
 
"Pretty obvious, really, but it only works out as BJH's twelfth album if you ignore the Starline compilation Early Morning Onwards, which was deleted by then, and include live albums and EMI's The Best Of Barclay James Harvest. The title was also appropriate because the band members had been working together for twelve years. At one point, the working title was High, and the sleeve would have been based on Woolly's sunset photograph which eventually adorned his solo album, Mæstoso. "
 
I tend to go with Dean's theory though. It's more likely they would count an album issued with their blessing (Early morning onwards) which mopped up material unavailable on other albums, than a "Best of" compilation released after they had left the record label.
 
Ok, that explains it then. I got a bit confused there. Anyway, isn't it a bit strange to count live albums and compilations?


Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 06:36
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

 
Ok, that explains it then. I got a bit confused there. Anyway, isn't it a bit strange to count live albums and compilations?
It maybe now, and on this site, but back then it wasn't.


-------------
"You know what uranium is, right?
It’s this thing called nuclear weapons.
And other things.
Like lots of things are done with uranium.
Including some bad things.
But nobody talks about that."


Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 11:01
I Love  a bit of BJH



-------------


Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 11:27
NiceThumbs%20Up


Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 12:04
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

I Love  a bit of BJH

 
 
First row: I have them all on remastered cd, I got Short Stories today actually Smile
Second row: Have them all except the compilation (but I think I have most of the tracks as bonus tracks)
Third row: I don't have the compilation (don't need it) nor the live album (should I get it?)
Forth row: Have them all
Fifth row: I have live tapes 2cd. Eyes of the Universe on mp3 only. Is the remaining one worth having?
Sixth row: Don't have them, are they any good?
 


Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 17:27
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

I Love  a bit of BJH

 
 
First row: I have them all on remastered cd, I got Short Stories today actually Smile
Second row: Have them all except the compilation (but I think I have most of the tracks as bonus tracks)
Third row: I don't have the compilation (don't need it) nor the live album (should I get it?)
Forth row: Have them all
Fifth row: I have live tapes 2cd. Eyes of the Universe on mp3 only. Is the remaining one worth having?
Sixth row: Don't have them, are they any good?
 




The Live album is very good , well i like it, to be honest only really listen to the  ones in the first 4 rows
the 80s albums are not really as good, but  then again  i have aversion  to most things in the 80s


oh forgot  these in the first photos



-------------


Posted By: febus
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 17:42
The'' BERLIN concert for the people'' is quite good!
 
''Turn Of The Tides'', ''Ring Of Changes'' ''Victims Of Circumstances'' are their weakest ones, thanks mainly to poor songwriting from Les Holroyd who was trying hard to come up with synth-plastic driven ''hit'' songs.
Not that John Lees was very inspired either, but he at least tried to keep sounding traditional BJH, except the dreadly occasional ''hard rock'' tune.
 
Things got better with ''Face to Face'' -1987 and ''Welcome to the Show''-1990 .
Try the BJH with eyes of John Lees ''Nexus'' and other live albums recorded in the 2000's with Wooly back at home....back to the old BJH sound we lovedThumbs%20Up


Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

other live albums recorded in the 2000's with Wooly back at home....back to the old BJH sound we lovedThumbs%20Up
 
I have the recent live DVD Legacy. It is very good indeed!!


Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:



The Live album is very good , well i like it, to be honest only really listen to the  ones in the first 4 rows
the 80s albums are not really as good, but  then again  i have aversion  to most things in the 80s


oh forgot  these in the first photos

 
Ok, thanks! Is this Wolly Wolstenholme album any good then?


Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 19:26
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:



The Live album is very good , well i like it, to be honest only really listen to the  ones in the first 4 rows
the 80s albums are not really as good, but  then again  i have aversion  to most things in the 80s


oh forgot  these in the first photos

 
Ok, thanks! Is this Wolly Wolstenholme album any good then?


Yes it's veru nice album , better than some BJH later albums ,haven't played it in awhile  might just give it a spin later


-------------



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk