Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50469
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 15:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fragile* Vs Gates of delirium
Posted By: Okocha
Subject: Fragile* Vs Gates of delirium
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 11:55
Fragile (except the personal songs) Vs Gates of delirium (not all Relayer)

Fragile: Roundabout, South side of the sky, Long Distance Runaround,
Mood For A Day, Heart Of The Sunrise

Replies:
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 12:14
Fragile, no question. It's not perfect, and I could happily drop the reprise from the end of Heart Of The Sunrise, but South Side Of The Sky is (my opinion) the best thing Yes ever did.

Though, technically, Mood For A Day is one of the personal pieces.

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 12:32
Yes my mistake (about Mood...).

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 12:51
Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise are all at least twice as good as Gates of Delirium on their own, together they crush it.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 12:53
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise are all at least twice as good as Gates of Delirium on their own, together they crush it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 13:01
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 13:55
Fragile. It was my first Yes album.

Posted By: LordOfTheRings
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 14:07
"Gates of delirium" eat whole 'Fragile' album,,.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 14:45
I'd take those Fragile songs over Gates.

I'd take Relayer over Fragile.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 15:48
Everything is just plain good, everything.!.....so no selection!!!Big%20smile

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 16:51
Relayer is a better album ("To Be Over" is one of my favorite Yes songs), but the four compositions from Fragile are slightly better than just "Gates of Delirium."

Now if it were Fragile versus "The Revealing Science of God," that would be a different matter.

Posted By: Todd
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 17:31
Heart of the Sunrise is my favorite Yes song.  Gates of Delirium is in my top five.

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 18:28
Gates of Delirium for me, despite how much I love Fragile.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Relayer is a better album ("To Be Over" is one of my favorite Yes songs), but the four compositions from Fragile are slightly better than just "Gates of Delirium."

Now if it were Fragile versus "The Revealing Science of God," that would be a different matter.

Yeah, then it would be a no-brainer for Fragile Wink

Posted By: puma
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 20:26
Why do I have to choose?

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 20:58
As wonderful an epic as Gates is , the Fragile pieces , as a whole are like a best hits list . Why?  because there are some great classic songs there 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 21:46
I really couldn't deal with an epic and an AWSOME 5 to 10 min song.
It's just they reallly can't compare. Not that the Epic is better or the other way round, just that they're different categories.

I LOVE Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise, while I like South Side of the Sky and the fun track, Long Distance Runaround.

While Gates of Delirium covers a lot of grounds, some messy sections indeed, but it's a HUGE AMAZING epic. Great Moog, Guitar, Bass and thundering Drums, much better than the almost dull from Tales. And Jon's voice on Soon is wonderful.

No vote.

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: July 26 2008 at 21:53
FRAGILE is a fairly good album, but "Gates" is on a totally different level: one of the few pieces that really seem to work as a superb "prog symphony".

Posted By: dzx
Date Posted: July 27 2008 at 08:40
Much as I love Gates, it has to be Fragile. Roundabout is one of Yes' best tracks combining a killer riff and awesome climax whilst remaining very progressive yet accessible for non fans. Hell, even my best mate, uber Rush fan and confirmed Yes hater loves it

-------------
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: July 27 2008 at 11:14
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

FRAGILE is a fairly good album, but "Gates" is on a totally different level: one of the few pieces that really seem to work as a superb "prog symphony".

I hear what you're saying, and I agree that "Gates" take it to another level of complexity, but I still prefer the "Fragile" songs because I think they are superior melodically. I love "Gates" and respect the hell out of it, but I find myself listening to "South SIde of the Sky" more often because I love the melody. Unfortunately, with the other "Fragile" songs, I've heard them so many times that I'm almost (I said almost!) sick of them.

I think we can all agree that both "Gates" and "Fragile" are wonderful and that we are lucky to have them.

-------------
Prog fan since 1974.

Posted By: Mousoleum
Date Posted: July 27 2008 at 23:36
South side of the Sky and Heart of the Sunrise; nuff said.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: July 28 2008 at 04:15
I think Gates of Delirium is just about the peak of Yes (prefer the Yesshows version though). Good as album as Fragile is, it can't compete with Gates IMHO.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: July 29 2008 at 12:45
Tough one, really.
Fragile is a superb album, Heart of the Sunrise is a perfect song, but Gates of Delirium is my favourite Yes song.

Favourite: Gates of Delirium
Best: Probably Fragile

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: July 29 2008 at 15:43
Gates of Delirium. Fragile is a fine album, but that incarnation of Yes went on to greater things with CTTE. Relayer always leaves me wondering what the Moraz line up could have achieved if they'd made another album, though that would probably have meant no GFTO and Awaken is my all time favourite Yes epic.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: July 29 2008 at 16:10
I don't think we can be friends anymore, Chris...

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 29 2008 at 18:11
Gates of delirium is my favorite piece of music. It could only be beaten by Close to the edge (the album) when it comes to Yes.

...still this is kinda stupid

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 30 2008 at 04:03

Fragile wins.  I personally am not that fond of Heart of the Sunrise (it loses to the Soon section of Gates) and Long Distance Runaround isn't quite up to Gates either, but Roundabout and South Side of the Sky pull Fragile ahead.  BTW, I don't count Mood for a Day.  That's a Steve track.  But I find all of the solo tracks (except for Rick's) to be very good.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk