Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50791
Printed Date: May 21 2018 at 17:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Brian Eno Poll
Posted By: Easy Money
Subject: Brian Eno Poll
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 16:59
Who had Brian Eno been listening to when he excitedly called a friend and said he had just heard the future in music.

This is not a joke, nor is this poll sarcastic in any sense. I will reveal the answer after enough people have voted.

Good Luck.

Replies:
Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:03
I'll go out on a limb and say Battles.  Why the hell not?

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:04
I'm guessing Talking Heads.

-------------
http://nervoushorse.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: NurseryCryme89
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:11
The Ass Tones

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:36
I believe Miles Davis' incredible "He Loved Him Madly" was a huge influence on Brian Eno... so my vote goes to him.
P.S. Miles Davis IS the future of music!

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:40
Actually Miles Davis is its past at this point ;)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:56
voting for the wrong answer I'm sure... but the best guess hahhahah

Talking Heads

-------------
I find your lack of Bassoon disturbing.....

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:56
Nope, he is still MILES ahead in the future!

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:57
i guess u2. they inspired all like those indie bands that are out today.

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 17:58
^ look at what the Talking Heads inspired... 

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:01
Yeah, I didn't vote TH because they're too obvious.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:06
After seeing him talking about RHCP Give it Away video as great are somewhere I lost all confidence in him. Flower Kings? Hogarth era Marillion? The Archies?

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:08
PIL , only because at one specific point in time , they were touted as the next big thing. With Jah Wobble on bass, maybe but John Lydon got bored! WinkClown

-------------
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Yeah, I didn't vote TH because they're too obvious.

so obvious that's why I had to vote for them..  yet ultimately know it is the wrong answer LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:15
hahhahha.. . Slayer?   yeah....  I guess I can see that...  never figured Eno for the sociologist type...

didn't Fripp play on one of their albums as well LOL

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ look at what the Talking Heads inspired... 

yea.. but now we have bono.lolLOL

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 19:30
Ozric Tentacles! Wink

LOLLOLLOL

(That may be the fanboy in me. Tongue)

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 19:43
I should know this, but I'm going to guess Talking Heads.

-------------

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:08
i am surprised no one has mentioned KC and the Sunshine Band yetLOL....that was the future back then in 77 or 78.....Talking Heads didn't  make shake your booties like KCBig%20smile

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:16
Roger Eno.

I mean, yeah. Roger f**kin Eno.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:17
Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy to "Get Down Tonight" Wow what an innovation. Catchy though!

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:36
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr Eno has said this about each of the artists listed at sometime or other. Wink

Even though The Kings Lead Hat is the obvious choice, I'm pretty convinced it was about Donna Summer's six minute disco-prog epic I Feel Love.

/edit: there's a 10 minute version out there somewhere...

-------------
"You know what uranium is, right?
Itís this thing called nuclear weapons.
And other things.
Like lots of things are done with uranium.
Including some bad things.
But nobody talks about that."

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:52

No idea, so I vote Talking Heads.

I Feel Love is an interesting option.  Man I love those sequenced synths. 

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 03:54
Bryan Ferry...Oops! Sorry...I meant 'We Are Not Men,We Are DEVO'.

Brain One was a very busy man when he was working with the New York No Wave scenesters.He was also about to embark on what was to become David Bowie's Berlin trilogy.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 03:57
Isn't Talking Heads too easy? I mean, Eno was practically a member of the band! I go for Sigur Ros.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 04:50
Some 50% of the artists mentioned can be erased from this list. Of the other half, the Talking Heads and Devo are most likely. I vote for Devo...

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 04:56
What I have heard from the new Byrne and Eno collaboration is really quite good.

-------------

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 05:51
This being a prog site I think we can narrow it down to an artist featured on this site that must eliminate a few Tongue

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 05:57
I seem to remember he said this about James (the band not the PA member/RIO collab') quite a few years ago.

Definately Devo,He said it after seeing them play at Max's Kansas City.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 05:58
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

This being a prog site I think we can narrow it down to an artist featured on this site that must eliminate a few Tongue

or any artist that should be here LOL.. never forget how 'devious' some can be hahahha.  Like me for example...  say if Eno had said that about the Talking Heads... a perfect lead in to a possible discussion to how they can really be called one of the most influential prog group of the early 80's.  Never know...LOL  Listen to 80's King Crimson.. that has the Talking Heads written all over it... and it is not the other way around. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 11:21
As I am searching my memory banks , it dawned on me that it could be Sigur Ros! It fits the "bubbly" Eno style.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 11:27
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

As I am searching my memory banks , it dawned on me that it could be Sigur Ros! It fits the "bubbly" Eno style.

that one does make sense as well...Clap

-------------

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 13:59
Butthole Surfers?

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 15:08
Going with Donna Summer.

-------------
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 15:19
Wink

-------------
And other things.

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 18:20
Clue - Lawsuit with McDonalds, happening as we 'speak'/

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 21:30
" I Feel Love?"- Summer it is , hmmm, Eno must have been listening to Ferry's solo albums and "flippantly" stuck a finger in his VCS 3 (remember them?) and sprained his disc-oh . Cool

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 22:41
I've always enjoyed that Eno story because the first time I heard the song in question it hit me the same way. I was in a friend's car, and he was playing his dashboard am radio. At the time we were living in a one dead horse town in East Texas and the am radio usually played music by The Bellamy Brothers, Freddy Fender and BJ Thomas, all of a sudden this song comes on that sounded like it could have been from Mars. Many years later I found out that Eno had a similar ephinac experience while listening to this same song ... the rest of the story when I return.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 23:20
Where's Robert Fripp on that list? I'd think that Eno would throw a bone to Fripp and give him some props.

Date Posted: August 08 2008 at 23:26
Now that ambient electronic music, techno and techno-related music are more and more becoming the norm for background music (especially in large urban areas) it is probably really hard to understand just how weird Summer and Moroder's first hit sounded. It definitley got your attention if you were living in semi-rural USA. At that time it was hard to believe that a song like that could become a top 40 hit all across the states.
Now you know the rest of the story.

1st prize - Dean, and bonus points for his hilarious image of an overly stimulated and giddy Eno drunk at a cocktail party and gushing at every other song that comes on the stereo and saying 'Hear that, thas the future of music'.

2nd Prize - Anderson III for knowing that Miles' ambient proto-trip hop masterpiece "He Loved Him Madly" was a big influence on Eno.

3rd prize - Stonebeard for knowing Roger Eno's middle name.

4th prize - Micky for thinking I might have an ulterior motive with this poll (takes one to know one) ha ha ... yeah, Eno said the JH Experience was the future of music, unfortunately it was 2002 when he said it, probably drunk again.

Bands left out:

All the bands mentioned presented major stylistic and 'futuristic' influences within their respective genres, but in retrospect I could have included Kraftwerk ... Duh!    Run DMC, Public Enemy, Stereolab, Aphex Twin etc etc.

If I didn't already know the qoute, I would have guessed Devo, unless Kraftwerk would have been included.

Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 04:59

Originally posted by Wikimadeupia Wikimadeupia wrote:

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of his own groundbreaking 'Berlin Trilogy', its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

ď One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' Ö he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer Ö He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

Donna Summer was the proggiest of the Disco divas having made a couple of concept albums and recorded a 8 minute version of Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park

-------------
And other things.

Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 05:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Wikimadeupia Wikimadeupia wrote:

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of his own groundbreaking 'Berlin Trilogy', its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

ď One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' Ö he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer Ö He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

Donna Summer was the proggiest of the Disco divas having made a couple of concept albums and recorded a 8 minute version of Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park

sounds like one for the Xover team LOLThumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:19
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

4th prize - Micky for thinking I might have an ulterior motive with this poll (takes one to know one) ha ha ...

hahhaha ... thanks Embarrassed. .and as always.. there was an ulterior motive ..in suggesting in a humourous way that you had an ulterior motive. LOLWink

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:19

I've always enjoyed that Eno story because the first time I heard the song in question it hit me the same way. I was in a friend's car, and he was playing his dashboard am radio. At the time we were living in a one dead horse town in East Texas and the am radio usually played music by The Bellamy Brothers, Freddy Fender and BJ Thomas, all of a sudden this song comes on that sounded like it could have been from Mars. Many years later I found out that Eno had a similar ephinac experience while listening to this same song ... the rest of the story when I return.

Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:20

Now that ambient electronic music, techno and techno-related music are more and more becoming the norm for background music (especially in large urban areas) it is probably really hard to understand just how weird Summer and Moroder's first hit sounded. It definitley got your attention if you were living in semi-rural USA. At that time it was hard to believe that a song like that could become a top 40 hit all across the states.
Now you know the rest of the story.

1st prize - Dean, and bonus points for his hilarious image of an overly stimulated and giddy Eno drunk at a cocktail party and gushing at every other song that comes on the stereo and saying 'Hear that, thas the future of music'.

2nd Prize - Anderson III for knowing that Miles' ambient proto-trip hop masterpiece "He Loved Him Madly" was a big influence on Eno.

3rd prize - Stonebeard for knowing Roger Eno's middle name.

4th prize - Micky for thinking I might have an ulterior motive with this poll (takes one to know one) ha ha ... yeah, Eno said the JH Experience was the future of music, unfortunately it was 2002 when he said it, probably drunk again.

Bands left out:

All the bands mentioned presented major stylistic and 'futuristic' influences within their respective genres, but in retrospect I could have included Kraftwerk ... Duh!    Run DMC, Public Enemy, Stereolab, Aphex Twin etc etc.

If I didn't already know the qoute, I would have guessed Devo, unless Kraftwerk would have been included.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:25

yeah, Eno said the JH Experience was the future of music, unfortunately it was 2002 when he said it, probably drunk again.

ShockedLOL

well, a fun poll after all. Clap

-------------

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 19:10
Now that I think about it not that surprising.  Those sequenced synths would have drawn him to I Feel Love like a fly to sh*t.  Same thing happened to me, and I hated disco.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 09 2008 at 19:31
Brian Eno was always going on about the future of music.  I've read that he said something similar when he heard a My Bloody Valentine album (haven't read through the whole thread, so this may have been raised already).

-------------
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: August 11 2008 at 07:27
Q. Are we not  men?
A. We are Eno!

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Date Posted: August 11 2008 at 20:20
Well this is what I want to know , What's the future of music today, Brian Jean-Baptiste de la Salle Eno? LOL
Will someone please ring the barman!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk