Print Page | Close Window

Off at Tangents

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: Just for Fun
Forum Description: Participate in trivia and knowledge games, share jokes, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50881
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 23:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Off at Tangents
Posted By: Vompatti
Subject: Off at Tangents
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:01
Some of you may already know what the word 'electricity' stands for. If so, raise your leftmost hand and whisper in a gentle way: "Victory!" And if you're a mountain lion, well, that's not my problem anyhow.

Replies:
Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:11
"Can we raise the bar further?" Jenny asked the crowd.
It was always a strange misconception that the bar could be lowered. Many had tried, but simply fell flat on their faces. Many tried using hyper technological tools, still failed.

So it was back to the drawing board, only to realize perhaps the bar should be raised instead.

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:14
"I can't think of anything funny to write here", the writer said, and his typewriter said the same.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:39
The typewriter buzzed, it being an electric model: "It always puzzled me to the tangential qualities that any of the posts in the previous incarnation of this thread; surely they should have had some contact or reference with the previous post before branching off on some perpendicular line of thought and not just be random disconnected utterances" ... the words hammered in the crisp white pater as he typed, throwing urgency and emphasis into the reply.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 05:43
While I certainly agree with your insightful remarks I can't help but point out that such references are merely logical and thus trivial constructions that can be formed on any material regardless of its semantic value. What comes to the typewriter, most often what comes to the typewriter from the typist comes to the typist from the typewriter.

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 06:05
Be that as it may, or may not, (as the case may ultimately be), the essential premise of any tangential thought whether logical or illogical, trivial or relevant must at some stage be pertinent to the generic state of meaning hitherto ignored by whatever means the postee generated the words on a page (I for one use the modern equivalent, or the "glass typewriter" as I an want to call it) and that stochastic developments of this here thread, while they will inevitably be unpredictable by their very nature, must by some virtue yet to be determined, be backwardly relational.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 11:30
The whole idea of predetermination is derived from the common misconception that events or moments naturally follow each other and that any moment n comes before the moment n+1 and after the moment n-1. However, if everything was predetermined, the predetermination would have had to happen before the first predetermined moment. Since this can't be the case, we must assume that every moment is determined not by the previous moment, but by some law that exists outside time and thus not before but above the first moment. Since this law L may always be derived from another law (L & (L -> L)) there is not one but several laws that govern the actual events (which may or may not follow each other, but which certainly are exactly what they are regardless of any other moment it may or may not follow). If this is indeed my tangential reply, it is so not because it bears a certain relation to the posts before it, but because it is what it is and thus cannot be otherwise.

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 12:25
Ah, I see now, what you have described is not a deterministic law of tangential posting, but a general law of all posts, regardless of their direction and relevance. To be tangential the direction of the post must impinge on some aspect of the preceding one, for that is the definition of "tangent", so while being essentially random in content, it cannot be a complete non-sequitur, its notional direction must be predetermined by some minor element, however fleeting, from the previous post.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 12:56
I think the minor element you're referring to is just the fact that the tangential post follows (i.e. is situated below) the previous post, which makes the occasional glancer of the thread pay particular attention to the contrast between those two posts. This contrast, if unusual, makes the latter post tangential. However, and I can't stress this enough, what makes the relation between the tangential post and the post before it more important than the relation between any two random posts is the definition of 'tangential', which only applies to a post that is in an unusual contrast with the post before it. It's worth noting that this doesn't require the latter post to be a "reply" of any kind. (It does require, however, that the tangential post appears after a certain post). If I posted something without reading the previous post, my post could still be tangential, but only with the post before it, not, for example, a randomly chosen post from another thread. But, if I can post a tangential post without reading the previous post, it must be so that the previous post does NOT determine the content of the tangential post anyhow.

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 19:26
By posting without regard for the previous post the result can only be random, so any resultant tangential nature would be purely co-incidental and therefore not strictly tangential at all. The aim of tangentiality is to cause the course of the thread to diverge from the original goal and follow a different course - continual tangential posting would gradually diverge from the original topic so that after a finite number of posts the resultant topic would bear no relation to the original, yet intermediate steps would appear logical and connected so that no single point could be identified as the moment when the subject was changed. Random posting, while being disruptive to the flow, does not lead to true divergence since it halts the original course and begins a new one, so breaking the continuity which would not occur with in a true tangential exchange - the same result could be achieved by selecting single posts from different threads using gaming dice or the turn of a card. There is a probability (however small) that the sheer randomness could make the subsequent post 100% relevant and sequential and that could even lead to the original topic direction continuing without divergence. Therefore it is entirely feasible that one of the random posts would result in a continuous flow of posts for an indeterminate period as each subsequent random post bore some random connection to the previous through common words or concepts. However there is still no guarantee that the path would be tangential, since could be parallel, perpendicular or asymptotic to the original. This post, (while not being tangential to the previous post), has endeavoured to be tangential to the original topic intent through incremental steps over several posts, hence interrupting the expected Brownian motion of posts through this thread and steering them towards a linear flow.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:11
If the goal of tangential posting is indeed to gradually steer away from the original subject, we may only ask: "How big steps are we allowed to take? As big as John Coltrane?" Surely it's not allowed to only frivolously refer to the previous post and then move on to another subject like bunny rabbits. We must maintain some kind of close relation to the previous post while at the same time intentionally yet unnoticeably bringing up another related subject. The problem here is that any two things that can be expressed in one language are somehow related, and there is no objective way to tell how close the relation is. John Coltrane and bunny rabbits, for example, seem to be pretty unrelated unless you happen to be a person who used to have a bunny rabbit named John Coltrane. This problem of relation brings to question the whole concept of tangentiality. If we have no way of telling how strong the relation between two posts are, how can we tell if they're tangential? Someone may think this could be settled by making a list of every pair of things and giving their relation a fixed numeric value, which can then be used in a function that determines how strong the relation between two posts are. It's obvious that calculating the value of this function would be an immense task, since we would have to relate every thing in the first post the every thing in the second post. The main problem, however, is more profound: how can we tell which things are discussed in a given post? A list of words won't be enough, since there are words that refer to several things. 'Duck' for example, is both a bird and a certain action of bending down. Someone may think that since the meaning of 'duck' can easily be picked by looking at the sentence it appears in, we should only consider that one meaning. This we can not do for the simple reason that the word 'duck', even if we know it's used as a noun, may bring to mind the verb 'duck'. The word 'duck' can, in fact, be used in a pun, so that it refers to its both meanings. But if we're really considering everything that appears in a certain post, we should not only look at the words, but the sentences also. It's obvious that different combinations of words (and different combinations of sentences) create new meanings, new "things" are discussed in the post. So if we make a list of every word and every combination of words, is it enough? No. It would give us a way to tell if two posts are tangential, but the results would be unreliable because the method would be wrong. We can't just assume that the word 'duck' refers to a certain thing. Someone who has never heard of ducks (imagine a person born on the Antarctica) may use the word 'duck' to refer to an imaginary creature with four wings and a metallic tail. If he wrote a post that's supposed to be tangential, it would be obvious that we would not be able to derive the thing he refers to with the word 'duck' from our listed meanings of 'duck'. Also, we cannot say that he is using the word the wrong way and we're using it the right way. We could say: "The right way to use the word 'duck' is to use it to refer to a bird (we'd describe the bird here) because that's the meaning given in our list of words and their meanings." But, if we took a look at our list of meanings, how would we be able to tell, what the words there mean? "Does this 'duck' refer to the word 'duck' that I use to describe a certain bird, or does it refer to another word 'duck' that's used to describe a creature with four wings and a metallic tail?" There would be no way to tell.

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:48
Unless it is a Toilet Duck, or a rubber duck, or an amphibious military vehicle, or Jemima Puddle, Howard, Daffy, Donald, Huey, Dewey and Louie or just simply a roll of Duck Tape used to bind the posts together, but they would all lack context and therefore would be an instantly recognisable point of discontinuity and not an imperceptible moment of digression. So while words may have different meanings and connotations within the broader context it is within the localised context of the preceding post where the relationship must stem and even though one could introduce the tangential digression by way of observing the alternative meaning of a single word and then extrapolating that onto the alternative meanings of similar aquatic bird related words, such as Goose, which also has noun and verb uses; but then we could just swan around for a while pondering other homonyms and perhaps suggesting some that may have amusing or risqué meanings, which would serve adequately as a tangential digression for a brief period within a single post, but could not be sustained over a protracted period without becoming dull and repetitive.

-------------
What?

Posted By: progaeopteryx
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 14:31
So... there is a reason for cheese.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:36
Indeed, pleasurable activities for this evening will be good.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 11:57
Thanks a lot for ruining my charade! Next time, I'll assure you, you'll have to face my synchronized shrubbery fortification.

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 19:29
I miss my diapers.

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: August 16 2008 at 13:11
"Lisa, that's a lot of rich creamery butter"

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 02:03
Valued members.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 05:16
Oh well, at least I tried. Cry

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 07:08
Rice and eggs.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 08:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Oh well, at least I tried. Cry

I tried too, but then my head began to hurt reading your posts and mine. Pinch

Also, a tin teardrop. Cry

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 08:25
I hired a car for there.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 10:31
I've got the red haired Moscow blues.

Date Posted: August 18 2008 at 01:07
Sammy and his bunch, always on target for mass.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2008 at 11:35
I am redefining.

Date Posted: August 18 2008 at 11:36
Hey you, watch out (of your pocket)!

Date Posted: August 19 2008 at 01:21
Pie market selling.

-------------

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: August 19 2008 at 01:59

Snapple pies, asked for by clowns that walked the trip wire, but were afraid of the dwarves that rode the little red fire engine truck, hated the elephants that stood up.

Date Posted: August 20 2008 at 04:07
I went to get my spoon fixed yesterday,but was told it would cost at least 50 USD.
Might as well get my fork repaired instead. at 46USD.

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2008 at 04:59
Ev'ryone does goulash nowadays, but you make me look sorta like some kinda fish, baby, and there sure nuff ain't no harm in that!

Date Posted: August 20 2008 at 23:15
Can you base that on anything? We talk about base basses.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2008 at 04:48
The speech starts at 10:15 PM and hopefully ends at 11:45 PM, so that there's time for you to catch your breath before it goes down the drain.

Date Posted: August 21 2008 at 15:34
Before I got my face I was just like you and I.

Date Posted: August 22 2008 at 02:11
Can I get it? You can

Tangent ride.

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2008 at 18:45
Mifflin got everything right except the part about cookies.

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 00:55
Clues for more insanity.................................................... no clues........ no clues............................... THE BLUES!

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 08:36
House plants. What?

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 13:45
To get to the other side? To GET TO THE OTHER SIDE?!!! Well guess what, here's a newsflash for you: the chicken did NOT cross the road on purpose.

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 03:33
Between a rock and a soft mound.

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:10
You see this yourself, don't you? You know that you have a problem and that you need to change. What you need to do now is face the mirror and say to yourself: "This is not who I am. I am unidentical with myself."

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:06
This post is a stub. You can help Prog Archives by expanding it.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:08
Boom boom high shrooms dance the packages away from soil.

I'm extascy in it's purest form.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:10
Dog, dog, dog, dooooooooooooooog, dog-dog!

Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 02:00
Savage beasts run wild in the sky of night.

Perhaps more water is needed.

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 03:28
A conversation heard on a street where well-dressed people tend to walk:

"Hey, did you hear about the new Vompatti release?"
"You mean the one where he actually sings and reads his poetry? I got it the first day it was out."
"No way! And I have to wait until September to get money for it."
"Didn't you hear? You can download it for FREE!!!"
"For FREE?!! That's awesome!"
"I know! I got so excited I downloaded five (5) copies, one for me and one for my secretary."
"So what are the other three for?"
"They're just in case I wear out my copy. It's so stunning I can't stop listening to it!"
"I hear you! Vompatti sure is the grandest poet of our generation."
"Yeah! I'd even venture to say he's the greatest poet since Blake."
"I haven't read any Blake, but he can't be better than Vompatti!"
"Believe it or not, he is! You should read The Marriage of..."

At this point the conversation got uninteresting for my ears.

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 01:59
Scrambling to the surface, he knew he had won the competition.
"Where's my prize Jenny?" He asked.
"Downstairs, in the living room where the walls of doom shall say nothing"

KABOOOOOONG

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 03:22
It reminds me of that Lithuanian poet: his name is written on the board before your eyes in scented letters. Of course you won't sense it until you recover from coma swearing revenge on the bad guy who did this to you and who sometimes wears a leather jacket. Autumn is here soon, and so is the red moon.

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:25
Devils cannot be easy to eat I suspect.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:26
Jackrabbit, jackhammer, what's the difference, really?

Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 23:03
Rain in my paint. ruined my paint.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:05
I just realized that much can be said about shelving.

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 00:15
Keeper of the gates. Makes you pay high rent rates.

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 12:50
Pork Archives!

Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 06:05
Cure the prancer!

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 17:24
I used to have this habit: whenever I felt bored, lonely, bored, hungry or simply bored, I dug up an old "Just for Fun"-thread and posted something like: "I thought I'd revive this revive this thread etc. etc." The thing is, now the old threads have been closed so there's nothing to dig up ! ! !

I know what you're thinking: I could create a new pointless thread. But the thing is, whenever I'm bored I don't feel like creating anything...

THE ABOVE TEXT IS NONSENSE - > JUST IGNORE IT.

There are shoes in my dream. A blonde girl wears them... and the moon, oh the moon ! ! !
               night night night night night night night night heroes of might and magic...
and I wear those shoes too... brown shoes... black shoes... black blues...
                                                        sterling silver spoon sells for a dinar
                                       may I offer you a dinar, baby ? ? ? your hair is like a wheat field in my eyes (s h a r p ! ! !)
         THERE CANNOt be a transparent white.

Why ? ? ?
                                       why?
                                                                       w h y ?
                                                                                                        why?
                                                    WHY?

can there be a transparent black?
 there are see-through white clothes, aren't there ? ? ?
                                                   but: are they really transparent ?
              aren't they partly white, partly transparent?

BUT:
                                                 can't I see what's printed on the other side of a white paper?
                                    does this mean the paper is transparent white?
           (the word 'transparent' has a different meaning than the word 'see-through'.
                                                                  'transparent' is more like 'bright.)
                       Imagine transparent red glass.

NOW IMAGINE transparent white glass.

the above text is nonsense. you read it anyway. think about this for a
while and you'll feel slightly nauseous . . .
                                                                                                       eventually
. . . . . . . .

Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 20:52
What happens when the dryer and washing machine stop at the same time?

Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 18:17
I can name you any day if I like.

Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 18:38
My toes smell funny.

Date Posted: September 04 2008 at 01:29
Cursors, or curious?

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2008 at 02:17
Luke, I am your mother-in-law.

Date Posted: September 05 2008 at 04:48
Prang the bell on hand.

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2008 at 16:12
So, I was bashing the scumbag's head on the door when suddenly the phone rang. It was someone from New Orleans.

Date Posted: September 05 2008 at 19:45
After spiraling out of control, I ate chicken soup.

Date Posted: September 06 2008 at 08:59
Wow there! I never expected that all of them would come to your party with unwashed hair! Honestly, I never did.

Date Posted: September 06 2008 at 09:06
Hagged martinis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soup

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2008 at 09:50
I like dipping pizza in Nutella.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:32
Nipples always taste the same.

Never blame the quacamole, for it can not see through the vail of sheep stomach. I once told him...valwhoosh! and it was all over for the donkeys.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 07 2008 at 06:41
Crazy bench stories in the new press.

I wonder what they sought to know.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2008 at 10:56
After the survey is done, I'm going to publish an atlas of my backyard.

Date Posted: September 07 2008 at 15:13
Don't even think about moving sidewards when I plan to cook for you! There's a time and place for everything and that's the corner of X and Y at t P.M.

Date Posted: September 07 2008 at 20:27
Movements of coastal vessels have declined since the introduction of some hotels in arrival cities and tourist centers have specialized in handling group and coach tours and in these instances more overseas visitors staying with friends and relatives is the most popular form of accommodation for the map which follows is based on many thousands of measurements since this attraction depends markedly upon height above sea level and is roughly coincident with the zone in which deep-focus cannot lie deeper than fifty kilometers.

Date Posted: September 08 2008 at 04:40
"I use dishwasher liquid instead." These sinister words echoed in the young Queen's head like waves preparing for a storm. "Dishwasher liquid?", she thought. "What is it?"

Date Posted: September 08 2008 at 15:35
Severed heads on a rock.... severed heads on a rock... on a rock.... on a rock...the rock of on.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2008 at 15:41
Let's swap jaws! For fun! For fun! What else?

Date Posted: September 08 2008 at 20:59
I don't understand classmates.com at all.

Date Posted: September 09 2008 at 04:09
I may look like a simple shoe company guy, but I'm really a secret intergalactical agent.

Date Posted: September 09 2008 at 20:05
I am a bag of exiled mail.

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 16:07
Rule 1:

If you haven't got an envelope ready, don't ask me to marry you.

Rule 2:

Palm trees look like wind sounds.

Rule 3:

Shoe.

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 20:01
Imagine, if you will, when that course is finished, well, naturally, the second one, such reflection is a form of a day's activities in our education in formal classrooms in the most common way in which we go about gathering a job at McDonald's or a job delivering after our first job has served its purpose to other jobs in the world that deal with data after your trips and there would, inevitably, be some problems with such a simple classification.

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 03:36
Sampling the frequencies of the rate can get you twisted into a theory of smelling fish.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 08:49
Dear Wittgenstein,

I've been walking around the town feeling perplexed over your menacingly insightful remarks. I'm well aware that this kind of behaviour might some day lead to my losing my leftmost shoe without even noticing. This, and only this, worries me. But if there ever comes a time when the problems of our logic are conclusively resolved, I hope we can share a moment in the garden of dreams where the teapot on the garden table remains ever full and the birds sing in the language of sweet mathematics.

Sincerely yours, Vompatti

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 19:21
The role of the leader in a group is to help the group move ahead when members spend too much time dealing with trivia or with only your audience, however, they may not have any particular attitudes or beliefs about your subject but you will discover that self-help is the category of most inherently interesting plans you also need to consider often when you are speaking after deciding on your statement of specific chronological order used to explain a process of any direction that best suits your topic which has a pace that is easy to vary and refers to how fast or how slowly you draw visible audiences. Don't forget to fart.

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 02:02

She couldn't be right, not this time anyway, surely not. She was going to buy me a new pair of socks, you know, the ones with the yellow stripes on them? Well, she predicted no more would be in stock. I made her a 5 dollar bet she was wrong. I ended up losing 5 dollars, and quite frankly, it just made me want to eat a glass wall.

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 07:54
Anita... such a... um... her name is... well... sort of... it reminds me... um... you know... *****!!! THAT'S IT!

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 10:31
The loan officer's request for documentation is not meant to suggest that an often stern examination of an empty and defrosted refrigerator will find a lot that suits your custom home and make sure that it either compromises or accommodates a septic tank with a catch phrase or a series of catch phrases meant to capture your multiple listing service by participating in exclusive representation from a biweekly or monthly publication from various types of agency relationships and making sure that having title insurance is mandatory for the basic purpose.

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 13:04
I went into that one room mainly because I had in my mind an image of a bath, and another image of a red wooden door. I knew there was such a door in that room.

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 15:51
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| I AIN'T GONNA HAND OUT NO POSTERS TO ANYONE!!! | Angry
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 20:48
Edging the grass from the driveway edges is painfully time consuming.

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 22:21
Capsules in the warp of time, in the wrap of lime.

-------------

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 22:29
Blah.

-------------

Date Posted: September 16 2008 at 03:41
I know it will happen soon:

- the squirrels will lift their tails towards the sun
- the trash cans will turn into flourishing shrubberies
- I forgot this one.

Date Posted: September 17 2008 at 23:41
Same old.
New old.

What the hell is the new old of the same old new fangled device we have here?
Does it work new fashions?
Does it hold new waters?

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 02:54
Your eyes are oil in the land of distant memories, oh [--]*, the happy weight on my brow.
The sweet smoke of factories, our modern churches, reaches out for your vagrant figure.
[etc.]

* Name removed due to privacy issues

Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 08:56
The moon will tell us more each day
of the sun, the stars and the sky
but if there are holes in our shoes
there's no going out in the rain.

Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 15:17
But honey, you can't just cough your way through the rain storm! I'm telling you this, because I know.

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 15:17
It's high time, Cymbaline

Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 15:37
Sometimes things happen. This means that things are not objects but events.

Date Posted: September 18 2008 at 17:34
The enclosed certificate is valid for a limited time.

Date Posted: September 19 2008 at 02:31
Cool fan, the ran man.

What the dog meat could, could never do.

-------------

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: September 19 2008 at 11:14
I must start writing immediatly. My publisher hates how I always turn in my articles for the magazine 3 weeks late. Although we both like the same type of ice cream, so it probably isn't a big deal.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk