Print Page | Close Window

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50898
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 22:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre
Posted By: Padraic
Subject: RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:41
This thread has been started based on a good recommendation by Pnoom!

Due to an impending closure of the original RIO thread, please post all your loving comments about RIO/Avant (I would think Zeuhl is welcome as well) in here instead of the original.  That way, the original can remain accessible for reading informative old posts.

It would really be good if an admin could lock and sticky the old thread as well.

Thanks!  Thumbs%20Up

Replies:
Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:47
MAGMA

-------------

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:48
WURDAH OLD THREAD WURDAH OLD THREAD!

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:50

But seriously, I'm going to recommend Israeli composer Yitzhak Yedid's latest album, Oud Bass Piano Trio.  It's a mix of modern classical, free jazz, klezmer, arab music, and more.  It's dynamic, exciting, and very engaging.

Posted By: mecca
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:16
Why exactly do we need a new thread?  Creating a new one and stickying and locked thread seems a bit needless.  Oh, I see.  A 4k-post threshold...

AIDS Wolf this year will release a new album RateYourMusic said.  Through Skin Graft I bet.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=119202664 - Satanized  is something some of you should be interested.  Virtuosic guitar skillz (he's from Normal Love, come on), and tons of rock energy. 

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:57
The only thing I know about Aids Wolf is their nude photo shoots. LOL

Aaron, Ahvak is underrated, not overrated, don't be silly! Wink

Miss M., Ahvak will grow and grow on you... it's seriously in my top 5 RIO/Avant-prog albums of all time.  I prefer it to U Totem's debut. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 19:04
Could we rename this to 'The RIO Room' ? Clown

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:27
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Could we rename this to 'The RIO Room' ? Clown

Maybe on the next rev.

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:37
Yes but what's the RPM of this thread, Patrick?

*thinks about how he can make this thread get back on topic again*

Oh yes, Pocket Orchestra, I've had an excerpt of one of their tracks stuck in my brain for a bit today. Big%20smile  Excellent band and you need to find their album somehow.

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:44
I've actually been pretty good lately (at not buying CDs) - I only ordered Infernal Machina because I didn't want it to not be available later.  I still have some stuff I want to get from Wayside and Greg Walker, and I'm sure that list will grow with this new RIO room.  Big%20smile

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:02
This thread needs more

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 05:09
The other thread had 13 pages leftCry
But yes, let it be known I have joined the ranks of RIO fans in the last few weeks.

Yay, post on first page!Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 05:12
Hang on lol,  I just realized this one's called the RIO AND Avante thread, not just RIO.
In that case, I've got more to talk about in here then.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 10:14
The other one was always the RIO/avant thread even if the title didn't say so.

Posted By: song_of_copper
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 12:59
Hey hey. Cool

Been doing some more listening today.  I'm off on holiday to Norway next week, so I went to the library and looked at guide books, and listened to 'Heresie' again.  It goes rather well with Vikings, I think. *would insert Viking emoticon if there was one*

One thing I've been noticing, though, is that sometimes when I play Univers Zero, my mind tends to wander.  (Reading at the same time doesn't help, obviously, but still...)  I'm sure in time the dots will connect a bit more with it - it's not exactly easy listening territory, after all - but when Present is on, it's so obsessively catchy, I can't ignore it. Heart  'Certitudes' is destined for heavy rotation chez moi, je crois. Tongue

Third play of 'Ahvak' is in progress as I type and it really does seem to get better with each listen.  It does have a slightly clinical feel, somehow, which is a bit odd.  I prefer the bits that 'rock' more, if you know what I mean... LOL

Speaking of 'bits that rock', I walked home from town whilst listening to Weidorje.  Music to put a silly grin on your face...! Big%20smile <--- silly grin.

Apparently the last.fm/ipod problem is to do with the latest itunes update, so it's not just me being a Luddite.  It's a shame, because I daresay my holiday listening habits won't be recorded for posterity, but here is a perfect opportunity not to care about such trifles and just enjoy the music!  (I shall still take a daily dose of Magma, though... Embarrassed)

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 13:17
Who wrote Thinking Plague's bio?

" You'd have to be primordial ooze to not think this is brilliant."

LOL

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

Hey hey. Cool

Been doing some more listening today.  I'm off on holiday to Norway next week, so I went to the library and looked at guide books, and listened to 'Heresie' again.  It goes rather well with Vikings, I think. *would insert Viking emoticon if there was one*

One thing I've been noticing, though, is that sometimes when I play Univers Zero, my mind tends to wander.  (Reading at the same time doesn't help, obviously, but still...)  I'm sure in time the dots will connect a bit more with it - it's not exactly easy listening territory, after all - but when Present is on, it's so obsessively catchy, I can't ignore it. Heart  'Certitudes' is destined for heavy rotation chez moi, je crois. Tongue

Third play of 'Ahvak' is in progress as I type and it really does seem to get better with each listen.  It does have a slightly clinical feel, somehow, which is a bit odd.  I prefer the bits that 'rock' more, if you know what I mean... LOL

Speaking of 'bits that rock', I walked home from town whilst listening to Weidorje.  Music to put a silly grin on your face...! Big%20smile <--- silly grin.

Apparently the last.fm/ipod problem is to do with the latest itunes update, so it's not just me being a Luddite.  It's a shame, because I daresay my holiday listening habits won't be recorded for posterity, but here is a perfect opportunity not to care about such trifles and just enjoy the music!  (I shall still take a daily dose of Magma, though... Embarrassed)

Oh I like that clinical feel.  The whole Ahvak album makes me smile like Weidorje make you smile (although Weidorje makes me smile just as much) and I wouldn't change it for the world.  The melodic and rocky bits of many chamber pieces tend to get similar (maybe why you're having issues with UZ) and it's the clinical parts that make Ahvak so much different and more interesting than many chamber prog bands. Big%20smile

Plus Ahvak's album sounds like how I think an industrial album should sound.  It's futuristic, rather than medieaval (like UZ and Present) and it's a welcome change.  I think that's why I like Guapo too, 'cause they're also futuristic and clinical. Big%20smile

I don't know Certitudes yet. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Oh I like that clinical feel.  The whole Ahvak album makes me smile like Weidorje make you smile (although Weidorje makes me smile just as much) and I wouldn't change it for the world.  The melodic and rocky bits of many chamber pieces tend to get similar (maybe why you're having issues with UZ) and it's the clinical parts that make Ahvak so much different and more interesting than many chamber prog bands. Big%20smile

Plus Ahvak's album sounds like how I think an industrial album should sound.  It's futuristic, rather than medieaval (like UZ and Present) and it's a welcome change.  I think that's why I like Guapo too, 'cause they're also futuristic and clinical. Big%20smile

I don't know Certitudes yet. Embarrassed

Ahvak certainly is original-sounding (when it could have been a clone of so many things...), and modern-sounding too.  I guess I'm so used to the sound of late-70s production that it feels kinda weird to hear that clean, neatly-spaced, contemporary sound... or something! LOL

Re. UZ, everything I've heard has been really good, but it is so close to being actual chamber music (as opposed to 'chamber rock' or whatever the phrase is!) that again it is quite a different sound than what I'm used to.

With both, though, I think more listening will pay dividends! Smile

One thing that strikes me is that the things I like best combine the 20th C. classical influences with an innate... groove.  Magma and Present have that, for sure.  Even Guapo, in parts.  You call it clinical, I'd call it 'intellectual' I think (the band members certainly like their obscure literary quotes!!), and despite that, it has a certain... clammy sweatiness!  Ick, sorry, that's gross, but that's the best metaphor I can think of right now. Big%20smile

Re. 'Certitudes', it does have those peculiar trembly vocals that I'm sure some people would find annoying, but so far I quite like them!  I seem to recall Present's website has a few samples.  It's extremely repetitive, too, but again, I find that strangely enjoyable... Smile  And it is close to being the original line up, so parts of it will remind you very much of the first 2 brilliant albums. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 15:54
I like clammy sweatiness. LOL

Except Ahvak doesn't feel like that to my ears.  Now Far Corner do sound clinical and in the wrong way.  Far Corner (and in some instances, NeBeLNeST) occasionally lack emotion and therefore sound boring.

Ahvak never sound boring and there's so much going on and it oozes with supremely infectious atmosphere it really works for me.

Ahvak is the soundtrack to Blade whilst UZ albums are the soundtrack to something Lovecraftian, or a horror.

Basically, Ahvak are 21st century chamber prog (it is chamber prog, even if it doesn't sound like chamber prog... I know, I think weirdly... but they're influenced by bands such as UZ and Present, I believe) and are more akin to a great science fiction sountrack.

The "industrial" sound I hear is just brilliant and no other band I've heard sounds like them.  It was an instant hit for me bit with each and every listen, it gets better and better.  It's apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic at the same time.

Give it some love and try and understand that "intellectual" clinicalness. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 16:33

I like clammy sweatiness. LOL

Except Ahvak doesn't feel like that to my ears.  Now Far Corner do sound clinical and in the wrong way.  Far Corner (and in some instances, NeBeLNeST) occasionally lack emotion and therefore sound boring.

Ahvak never sound boring and there's so much going on and it oozes with supremely infectious atmosphere it really works for me.

Ahvak is the soundtrack to Blade whilst UZ albums are the soundtrack to something Lovecraftian, or a horror.

Basically, Ahvak are 21st century chamber prog (it is chamber prog, even if it doesn't sound like chamber prog... I know, I think weirdly... but they're influenced by bands such as UZ and Present, I believe) and are more akin to a great science fiction sountrack.

The "industrial" sound I hear is just brilliant and no other band I've heard sounds like them.  It was an instant hit for me bit with each and every listen, it gets better and better.  It's apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic at the same time.

Give it some love and try and understand that "intellectual" clinicalness. Wink

Sorry, my previous post was unclear - with the 'clammy sweatiness' and intellectual air I was referring to Guapo. Big%20smile

Don't worry James, as I said, Ahvak does seem to improve with each listen! Smile

Edited to add... nice signature. Wink

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:01
I realised you were speaking about Guapo after I posted that reply.

Thanks for the nice words about the signature... I was trying to find a better photo of Klaus Blasquiz but couldn't... I think I'll have to do a vidcap of him from that MDK video.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:15

Thanks for the nice words about the signature... I was trying to find a better photo of Klaus Blasquiz but couldn't... I think I'll have to do a vidcap of him from that MDK video.

Good idea.  Then take a picture of yourself with a pair of maracas (or claves... it might be claves??) and we can all play 'spot the difference'. Wink

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:22

Good idea.  Then take a picture of yourself with a pair of maracas (or claves... it might be claves??) and we can all play 'spot the difference'. Wink

They look like tiny Van de Graff Generators. LOLEmbarrassed

I'd rather look like Klauz Blasquiz than look like I actually do. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:25
Is it just me or does Blasquiz look kinda like Wyatt?  

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:47
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

It's just you. Wink

-------------

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:58

I never would have thought that, but for some reason now that you mention it... he does look like Wyatt in that picture. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I never would have thought that, but for some reason now that you mention it... he does look like Wyatt in that picture. LOL

He doesn't though. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:25

Not entirely, but there's some resemblance. Maybe Jake and I are crazy then. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: YesFan72
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:27

Not entirely, but there's some resemblance. Maybe Jake and I are crazy then. Tongue

In that case, I'm crazy too. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:28
Well you do listen to RIO.

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:39
I wouldn't have thought that, but I guess I kind of see it in the way you could argue anyone with long grey/white hair and a beard looks like Robert Wyatt. :P

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:46

I would certainly not rule that out. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 03:48
Ladies (well judging by this thread, only Melissa shows up here, so Lady) and Gentlemen, tell me about Guapo, and why you like it.
And preferably an overview of musical features/attributes sorta deal as well.

Also, tell me about Present, and why you not only like it, but why it seems like Hughesman will possibly enjoy it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 06:56
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Ladies (well judging by this thread, only Melissa shows up here, so Lady) and Gentlemen, tell me about Guapo, and why you like it.

Also, tell me about Present, and why you not only like it, but why it seems like Hughesman will possibly enjoy it.

Guapo's impossible to describe. LOL

That's not the answer you wanted, was it?

Present are like Univers Zero... only different. LOL

Again, that doesn't help, does it?

I'm feeling a bit brain dead today, so I'll leave it to Patrick, Assaf, Blowie or Melissa to explain. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:32

Guapo's impossible to describe. LOL

That's not the answer you wanted, was it?

Present are like Univers Zero... only different. LOL

Again, that doesn't help, does it?

I'm feeling a bit brain dead today, so I'll leave it to Patrick, Assaf, Blowie or Melissa to explain. Embarrassed

QFN=Quoted for n00bishness.

Seriously man, I asked for details, not how incredibly brief and undescriptive your reply could be.
Present like UZ.
That's a start I guess, given Heresie is a 5 star album in my books.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:36
Present features Daniel Denis, who was drummer of UZ, so they sound similar... but UZ have more brass, whilst Present are more guitar orientated.  Infact, they're more electrified.

Guapo are still too difficult to explain... their last three albums have been quite different.

Five Suns is from the Magma school of music.
Dark Suns is from the Magma, King Crimson and Doom school
Elixirs is erm... well I'm not sure

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:39
Well that actually helps a bit, thank youThumbs%20Up
Present more electrified hey? Sounds like it's already on the money for my taste if I dug UZ.
*cue other RIO heads for more info*

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 10:13

Well that actually helps a bit, thank youThumbs%20Up
Present more electrified hey? Sounds like it's already on the money for my taste if I dug UZ.
*cue other RIO heads for more info*

I haven't listened enough to form a great description, but if you like UZ that much the probability is very high that you will like Present.  Search for the CD that is a 2-for-1 of Triskaidekaphobie and Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, I was able to obtain that for fairly low cost.  I've only heard UZ's debut but at this moment I'd say I prefer Present to UZ.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 10:59

Hello Harry, one RIO Lady reporting for duty (although I believe there are others about... Cleo?)

Guapo: have a glance at the 'Guapo Appurrreciation Thread' for fulsome praise, descriptive flights of fancy, etc. Tongue  The short answer is: intense, sinister, intellectual, dark, if Lord Byron and Aleister Crowley had a RIO/avant band... Big%20smile  Has a really distinctive drum sound, kind of crisp, hissy and militaristic.  Bass guitar to the fore, cool keyboards also.  'Elixirs' is a bit of a departure from the previous two albums, with more varied instrumentation - sounds like the soundtrack to a creepy movie.  I've not heard the pre-'Five Suns' stuff.

Present: it sounds like a fantastic combination of man and machine!  (I came up with that on my walk to work this morning! LOL)  It's really quite repetitive (hence the machine part!), and you could call it dark, but it's also jaunty and mischievous (and thus nicely human-sounding, rather than utterly cold).  A less daunting spectacle than UZ, but no less satisfying.  Why would you possibly enjoy it?  Well, for starters, there's Roger Trigaux, whose guitar occasionally sounds like... a person suffering excruciating agony, but enjoying it. Wink

I hope that helps! Smile

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 11:30
The first description also sounds like Shub-Niggurath who sound nothing like Guapo. Wink

Listen the guitar on Shub-Niggurath albums, it's even more agony (but good agony) than Trigaux. Big%20smile

I listened to Shub-Niggurath's third album earlier and oh my... it's quite a departure from Les Morts Vont Vite yet it's utterly brilliant as well!

It goes further way from chamber prog and sounds completely alien.  It sounds far less structured and melodic but I love the chaotic madness!

It's a push for me, as to whether it's darker than Les Morts Vont Vite or not... but oh my, is it a good album!

Just be careful though... don't expect a follow-on from Les Mort Vont Vite (or the self-titled debut), this is proper avant-prog.  This is noisey, harsh, unmelodic, clinical and clunky.  I love it!

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:06

The first description also sounds like Shub-Niggurath who sound nothing like Guapo. Wink

Listen the guitar on Shub-Niggurath albums, it's even more agony (but good agony) than Trigaux. Big%20smile

I listened to Shub-Niggurath's third album earlier and oh my... it's quite a departure from Les Morts Vont Vite yet it's utterly brilliant as well!

It goes further way from chamber prog and sounds completely alien.  It sounds far less structured and melodic but I love the chaotic madness!

It's a push for me, as to whether it's darker than Les Morts Vont Vite or not... but oh my, is it a good album!

Just be careful though... don't expect a follow-on from Les Mort Vont Vite (or the self-titled debut), this is proper avant-prog.  This is noisey, harsh, unmelodic, clinical and clunky.  I love it!

Oh well, at least I tried!! Tongue  Music is 'as hard to describe as the taste of strawberries'. Wink

I haven't heard Shub-Niggurath yet... Cry  Soon, I hope!  They are starting to look essential...

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:07

Oh well, at least I tried!! Tongue  Music is 'as hard to describe as the taste of strawberries'. Wink

I haven't heard Shub-Niggurath yet... Cry  Soon, I hope!  They are starting to look essential...

Les Morts Vont Vite will suit you very nicely.  Wink

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:09
Aksak Maboul is a really great band.  I am thoroughly enjoying both their albums - currently listening to their debut, Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine, and it's a varied and interesting work, borrows from a lot of different styles.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:13

Present features Daniel Denis, who was drummer of UZ, so they sound similar... but UZ have more brass, whilst Present are more guitar orientated.  Infact, they're more electrified.

I'm reminded of that "it's just a bunch of wining trumpets" guy, because UZ doesn't actually feature any brass at all.  Not until Heatwave anyways.  n00b. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:13
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Aksak Maboul is a really great band.  I am thoroughly enjoying both their albums - currently listening to their debut, Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine, and it's a varied and interesting work, borrows from a lot of different styles.

Onze Danses is pretty much the greatest thing ever. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:17

I'm reminded of that "it's just a bunch of wining trumpets" guy, because UZ doesn't actually feature any brass at all.  Not until Heatwave anyways.  n00b. 

You spotted my deliberate mistake. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:29

Well, Pat, if you like it... what's the statistical likelihood that I'll like it as well...? Ermm

Almost certainly, going by recent experience! LOL

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:32

Well, Pat, if you like it... what's the statistical likelihood that I'll like it as well...? Ermm

Almost certainly, going by recent experience! LOL

I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it is very dark.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 15:21

Onze Danses is pretty much the greatest thing ever. 

Except the second album is significantly better.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:10
Nah.  The first album had character, a unique feel, a sort of charming naivete to it that I really like.  The second album was just a clusterf**k of RIO musicians stomping on Hollander and Kenis.  It's a decent album, but not nearly as good as the first.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:29
The first album also has a bunch of duds and doesn't feel like a very cohesive album.  The second album is very consistent and at least feels like every song belongs on the same album as the others. Sure, it feels like a lesser Western Culture, but it's still pretty awesome.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:35
The second album is certainly consistent, but at the expense of FUN.  Sure, the first album has duds, but that's because it's just two guys screwing around and having fun, and making some very interesting music in the process.  The second album is just a second-rate Henry Cow.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:42
And the first one is screwing around at the expense of sounding good.

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:10
Nah.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:22
I guess you'll have to agree to disagree guys.

I've heard both albums... but not recently, so I cannot remember them for the moment.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:24
I've got the house to myself until various inebriates return from the Beer Festival. Dead

What should I listen to right now do you think?

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:07

I've got the house to myself until various inebriates return from the Beer Festival. Dead

What should I listen to right now do you think?

Well if you had it, I'd suggest Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite but as you don't... erm, well I don't know.

Try Ahvak again. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:14
Haha, too late, I picked UZ, 'Heresie'.  And it's starting to work for me... Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:14

Present are similar to Univers Zero, minus the classical intruments. Their music is dark and repetetive (not necessarly a bad thing) and more direct than UZ perhaps. I don't think they're as effective like UZ on an emotional level, but their arrangements are a joy to listen to. Sparse sometimes, yet detailed. Basically, If you like UZ, Present are a must-check-out, particulary their two first albums (which are among my absolute favorites ever).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:18

Haha, too late, I picked UZ, 'Heresie'.  And it's starting to work for me... Thumbs%20Up

Heard their others yet? If not, their debut and Ceux du Dehors (my favorite) are both highly recommended.Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:19
Do remember, Blowfus, that Harry is already acquainted with Les Morts Vont Vite and really enjoys it.

Blowie, what are you thoughts on C'Étaient De Très Grands Vents?

To me, it's a completely different album to Les Morts Vent Vite and may not appeal to those not used to that particular sound.  I love the fact it feels less structured, random and dissonant.  Plus I think it could just be a smidgen darker too. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:22

Heard their others yet? If not, their debut and Ceux du Dehors (my favorite) are both highly recommended.Big%20smile

I've got the remastered debut, and I'm sure I'll acquire more... Smile

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:23
I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I do remember it was extremely slowgoing, dissonant and dark. More so than Les Morts Vont Vile, in my opinion. Big%20smile

I think their 1994 release, Testament is yet another step in that direction. So you might as well grab that one tooApprove

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:26

I've got the remastered debut, and I'm sure I'll acquire more... Smile

Ceux du Dehors is essential, IMO. Containing two of their best songs, "Dense" and "Combat". It's a tad lighter and not as gloomy as Heresie, but definitely no less good. Smile

Uzed is also a great album, although it's moving a bit away from the chamber sound, with more electrified instruments. The compositions are still awesome though!

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:28

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I do remember it was extremely slowgoing, dissonant and dark. More so than Les Morts Vont Vile, in my opinion. Big%20smile

I think their 1994 release, Testament is yet another step in that direction. So you might as well grab that one tooApprove

I haven't found Testament yet... I'm sure it's about somewhere.

Yep, it was slower, darker, more dissonant and bloody amazing!  It had little structure but I like little structure if it's done right.

You must listen to it again. Big%20smile

I'll see if I can find Testament.

So yes, for the likes of Patrick and Melissa, be cautious of those two albums, 'cause they don't sound like Les Morts Vont Vite really. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:33
Testament is available on amazon.co.uk for a fair price, if Im not mistaken. I'll eventually order it myself! Thumbs%20Up

There's hundreds of other albums I need to order as well thoughLOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:44

Testament is available on amazon.co.uk for a fair price, if Im not mistaken. I'll eventually order it myself! Thumbs%20Up

There's hundreds of other albums I need to order as well thoughLOL

Well my next order will be from Wayside and will consist of:

Univers Zero - 1313 (remaster)

And erm... there was something else too... I'm sure I'll find it when I eventually make the order. Embarrassed

They don't have the remastered Barndomens Stigar... Cry

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:45
Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker to this thread, which I haven't been contributing to because I've been buying jazz almost exclusively, which is a little bit outside the domain of this thread. Except, of course, for our beloved John Zorn. <3 I'll probably drop by more often once I move back into rock, but there's a lot of jazz out there and I'm really far behind.

Anyway, I've been reading more about music, and have any of you read Chris Cutler's book? It seems interesting, and a poke in our collective eyes for being so elitist.

Also, how minimalist is Supersilent? I don't like repetition.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:49
Henry... Henry Cow, Pocket Orchestra and many other RIO/Avant-prog bands dip into the realms of jazz.

Check out bands like Jaga Jazzist, Shining and Ultralyd... not the jazz you're used to, I realise but it's interesting nevertheless.

Also Polar Bear are extraordinary as well.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:54
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Anyway, I've been reading more about music, and have any of you read Chris Cutler's book? It seems interesting, and a poke in our collective eyes for being so elitist.

Haven't read it actually. Maybe I'll check it out sometimeSmile

I have heard stuff by Supersilent although it's so long ago I can't really remember how they were like.Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2008 at 23:21
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Basically, every Supersilent album is different, but most of it isn't terribly repetitive.  I'm not a minimalism fan either, but I enjoy Supersilent.  6 in particular. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:08
If Weidorje doesn't get you moving, you're probably dead.

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:13

Hmm, this could be a handy diagnostic tool in the morgue. LOL

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:17

"Hmm...looks like he's gone.  All we need to do is verify.  Get 'Vilna' ready..."

LOL

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:21

"Hmm...looks like he's gone.  All we need to do is verify.  Get 'Vilna' ready..."

LOL

"Nurse... the headphones!!" LOL

I'm guessing (whilst still being yet to hear it) that Shub-Niggurath would be better for diagnosing the Living Dead. Shocked LOL

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:31

LOL

"Nurse... the headphones!!" LOL

I'm guessing (whilst still being yet to hear it) that Shub-Niggurath would be better for diagnosing the Living Dead. Shocked LOL

Shub-Niggurath is what's playing on Charon's "boat-stereo" LOL

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 14:58

Shub-Niggurath is what's playing on Charon's "boat-stereo" LOL

The question is, do you pay the ferryman to turn the music up or down. LOL

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:02
Hey Melissa, do you have any Volapuk?

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:09

No. Cry  Something else for La Liste, I'm guessing...

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:12

I don't either, I know James was high on "Where is Tamishii?" and I wondered if you or anyone had something to say about other of their albums.

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:19

I don't either, I know James was high on "Where is Tamishii?" and I wondered if you or anyone had something to say about other of their albums.

I just listened to a sample on the Cuneiform website (link at the Volapuk PA entry), but that was from 'Slang'.  Sounded quite fun...

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:20

I just listened to a sample on the Cuneiform website (link at the Volapuk PA entry), but that was from 'Slang'.  Sounded quite fun...

Looks like most of their records are available from Wayside - but I'll try and be a good boy and abstain... Wink

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:26

Looks like most of their records are available from Wayside - but I'll try and be a good boy and abstain... Wink

That wish list function is just too tempting. Embarrassed

[Off topic: Area! Heart  The 'Are(A)zione' version of 'Cometa Rossa' is fantastic!  Absolutely gorgeous Demetrio vocals... Hug]

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:28
I like Polyglot, which I think is the only one of their albums I've hear.  Very cool ethnic-y stuff.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:31

I like Polyglot, which I think is the only one of their albums I've hear.  Very cool ethnic-y stuff.  

Does look like the favorite among those who have heard of the band.

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 15:39
Polyglot is best.

Date Posted: August 15 2008 at 17:55

Polyglot is most often cited as their best release.  I just happen to really love Where is Tamishii? though, 'cause the addition of the female Japanese violinist really adds to the sound.

All of their albums are great.  The only one I haven't heard (and as it happens, the only one I have on CD LOL) is the live album Pukapok.

Bear in mind Guigou Chenevier was a very important member of RIO masters Etron Fou Leloublan, so don't expect an easy listen at first.

Highly recommended by me though.  I'd either start from their debut and work forward, or start with Polyglot.

Speak of Volaupuk... I almost ordered a copy of Polyglot yesterday... I even got as far as putting it in my purchases... but for some reason, my list was getting bigger and pricier, so I removed it... later making the list longer again... and forgetting to put Polyglot back in. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 01:06

Henry... Henry Cow, Pocket Orchestra and many other RIO/Avant-prog bands dip into the realms of jazz.Check out bands like Jaga Jazzist, Shining and Ultralyd... not the jazz you're used to, I realise but it's interesting nevertheless.Also Polar Bear are extraordinary as well.

I'm actually already a huge fan of Henry Cow and Jagga. I'm not very familiar with those others, though, thanks for the recommendation.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 09:10

Polyglot is most often cited as their best release.  I just happen to really love Where is Tamishii? though, 'cause the addition of the female Japanese violinist really adds to the sound.

All of their albums are great.  The only one I haven't heard (and as it happens, the only one I have on CD LOL) is the live album Pukapok.

Bear in mind Guigou Chenevier was a very important member of RIO masters Etron Fou Leloublan, so don't expect an easy listen at first.

Highly recommended by me though.  I'd either start from their debut and work forward, or start with Polyglot.

agree with James hear; work through them from the debut. preferably buy them all. other than that i don't really have much to say besides been digging Skeleton Crew a lot lately, love its raw power.

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 14:28
I must listen to more Skeleton Crew actually, thanks for reminding me, Adam!

And good luck Thursday. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 15:10

Speak of Volaupuk... I almost ordered a copy of Polyglot yesterday... I even got as far as putting it in my purchases... but for some reason, my list was getting bigger and pricier, so I removed it... later making the list longer again... and forgetting to put Polyglot back in. LOL

I think of Volapuk as Etron Fou unplugged. They also appear on Chenevier's solo project Les Rumeurs De La Ville, an excellent album released on Cuneiform.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 22:37

pick up Learn to Talk, it has been my favourite so far.

cheers! btw, 'tis on Friday

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 22:51
I just watched Step Across the Border and it was great.  Frith is the man.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 22:53

I just watched Step Across the Border and it was great.  Frith is the man.  

I feel like such a RIO newbie in this thread sometimes, hence my posts aren't as frequent as I'd like. Embarrassed

But, what is Step Across the Border and what does entail? You've intrigued me since you mentioned Frith.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 22:58
It's a documentary (more of an art film) centered around Frith.  Basically, they filmed him for two years and spliced together the interesting parts.  Part of what makes it interesting is that the musicians in question aren't always aware that they are being filmed.  It's a little hectic, like Frith's music, but it's great.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 23:00

It's a documentary (more of an art film) centered around Frith.  Basically, they filmed him for two years and spliced together the interesting parts.  Part of what makes it interesting is that the musicians in question aren't always aware that they are being filmed.  It's a little hectic, like Frith's music, but it's great.  

Hmmm... that sounds really neat. Thanks! I definitely will have to check that out. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 23:09
Anybody know if Death Ambient is any good?  All three musicians are fantastic, but I can imagine they could also go south quickly.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2008 at 23:22
Drunken Forest is kinda meh, but according to AMG their earlier stuff is better.

Date Posted: August 18 2008 at 03:14
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

pick up Learn to Talk, it has been my favourite so far.

cheers! btw, 'tis on Friday

Well, early Friday morning... which is still my Thursday night. Big%20smile  I think... I shall look it up.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2008 at 09:29
Skeleton Crew are pretty sweet.  And I still can't figure out how they set up a drum kit to be playable by their feet.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk