Print Page | Close Window

The semi-official Jazz-Rock/Fusion proposal thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51234
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The semi-official Jazz-Rock/Fusion proposal thread
Posted By: micky
Subject: The semi-official Jazz-Rock/Fusion proposal thread
Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:22
hey guys.. if you have bands you think you should be added to the site ... discuss them here... ones that you all choose.. we'll start threads on ... and pass on to the dynamic duo for the final word.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:25
oh man....

i'll be back soon

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:26
uh-oh    LOL

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:31
easy way to manage all the names being thrown about... think poor Martin was about to run off screaming into the night.. they aren't used to all this attention hahhahaHeart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:37
For now

Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate
Chick Corea Elektric Band
Chick Corea (solo)
Steve Jenkins
Garaj Mahal
John Scofield
Jaco Pastorius
Stevie Wonder

Then later on we could try with these guys

Jack Bruce
Gary Willis
Lettuce
Larry Young
Allen Vizzutti
Mike Stern
Bennie Maupin
Pharaoh Sanders

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 21:51
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

For nowJoe Zawinul & The Zawinul SyndicateChick Corea Elektric BandChick Corea (solo)Steve JenkinsGaraj MahalJohn ScofieldJaco PastoriusStevie WonderThen later on we could try with these guysJack BruceGary WillisLettuceLarry YoungAllen VizzuttiMike SternBennie MaupinPharaoh Sanders

Ha ha ha, I went to high school and music college with Gary Willis, obviously I vote no on his addition ha ha ha. He sang and played 'We May Never Pass This Way Again' at our high school graduation. We recorded an avant-garde improvisation on an 8-track tape for his college composition class, Gary Willis is out, guilt by association.

But seriously folks, in the spirit of keeping things simple I'd like to recommend just one: Larry Young, already here on albums by Santana, McLaughlin, Santana-McLaughlin, Tony Williams Lifetime and Miles Davis.

P.S. Larry is an extremely unique organ player, nice hallucinatory use of the Hammond drawbars, ask Dick Heath, I'm sure he knows.

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 21:58
hahahhahah  Good one John Clap

and I like simple as well...

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 23:57
If Gary gets in, I want to do the bio.

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 00:13
i just felt like listing a bunch of bands

Larry Young should be next, I approve of that one. There's already a CCEB thread so that's taken care of. I think The Zawinul Project should be after Larry Young because he's another Miles Davis alumni and has made some of the most intense jazz-rock/fusion music. You could say the band is the continuation of Weather Report, and in a very good way. mixing jazz with rock and world music and folk, it's some of the best jazz-rock ever.

But Larry Young should be next, very underrated

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 02:00
Thanks Darkshade, and I second your motion of Zawinul as next. I think you helped with the Miles Davis additions, so you know there is a lot of work to be done before we go much further.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 03:23
I consider Wayne Shorter's soloalbums 69 - 70, as essential to to jazzrock-fusion and to this site as the two Tony Williams Lifetime albums of the same period.

Super Nova 1969
Moto Grosso Feio 1970 (released 74)
Odessey of Iska 1970

Three cutting edge jazzrock fusion albums all with fantastic lineups featuring: John McLauglin, Miroslav Vitous, Jack de Johnette, Chick Corea, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Sonny Sharrock, Cecil McBee, Billy Hart etc...

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 05:04
Glenn Miller
Jaga Jazzist
Jamiroquai

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 05:10
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Glenn Miller
Jaga Jazzist
Jamiroquai

Jaga is already here. The two other suggestions are absurd.

Glen Miller jazzrockfusion? Is it because you've read in one of Dick Heath's posts that someone were playing guitar on his 1938 livealbum? 

Jamiroquai is simply not progressive enough.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 09:06
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I consider Wayne Shorter's soloalbums 69 - 70, as essential to to jazzrock-fusion and to this site as the two Tony Williams Lifetime albums of the same period. Super Nova 1969
Odessey of Iska 1970 Three cutting edge jazzrock fusion albums all with fantastic lineups featuring: John McLauglin, Miroslav Vitous, Jack de Johnette, Chick Corea, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Sonny Sharrock, Cecil McBee, Billy Hart etc...

Wayne Shorter is a very good suggestion, once again folks, lets not get carried away, adding Young, Zawinul and Shorter will be plenty of work. Let's start with those three before we get carried away and this just get's silly.

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:32

For now

Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate
Chick Corea Elektric Band
Chick Corea (solo)
Steve Jenkins
Garaj Mahal
John Scofield
Jaco Pastorius
Stevie Wonder

Then later on we could try with these guys

Jack Bruce
Gary Willis
Lettuce
Larry Young
Allen Vizzutti
Mike Stern
Bennie Maupin
Pharaoh Sanders

Same as Darkshade and:
Sun Ra, Miroslav Vitous, Wayne Shorter, Ken Vandermark, Peter Brotzmann, Sam Williams, George Coleman, Lenny White, Alphonse Mouzon 

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:43
I would love for Satriani to be added, but I know he won't.

I think Steely Dan should be moved to this category from where they currently are, but obviousely the team didn't want them there initially.

My ex-guitar teacher playes some really grooving fusion and jazz stuff both. He's independantly released a couple albums, should I put a couple of files up here? I know he won't mind.

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:45
Oh, and Bela Fleck should be included if he hasn't been already.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 17:00
-Ruben Rada
-Chick Corea's Elektric Band

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 17:19
lol ... today I was browsing through the jazz vinyl section of my favorite local record store ... from there I remember many of the suggestions here. Well, jazzarchives it is then.Wink

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I consider Wayne Shorter's soloalbums 69 - 70, as essential to to jazzrock-fusion and to this site as the two Tony Williams Lifetime albums of the same period. Super Nova 1969
Odessey of Iska 1970 Three cutting edge jazzrock fusion albums all with fantastic lineups featuring: John McLauglin, Miroslav Vitous, Jack de Johnette, Chick Corea, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Sonny Sharrock, Cecil McBee, Billy Hart etc...

Wayne Shorter is a very good suggestion, once again folks, lets not get carried away, adding Young, Zawinul and Shorter will be plenty of work. Let's start with those three before we get carried away and this just get's silly.

if that is the consensus for proposals...  I'll pass them on...

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 18:48
So Darkshade when we begin Jazz Archives??Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 18:50
BTW and Off topic Micky again thanks for the Capability Brown additionSmile

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

BTW and Off topic Micky again thanks for the Capability Brown additionSmile

no problem .. that was my pleasure...  LOVE that album, Voice...  in fact... had that on the mp3 player today and was air-bassing and singing to my coworkers eternal amusement. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:39
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Thanks Darkshade, and I second your motion of Zawinul as next. I think you helped with the Miles Davis additions, so you know there is a lot of work to be done before we go much further.

o yea of course. I am in full agreement for Zawinul, Young, and Shorter. I see we're going for more of the original jazz-rockers which makes sense. Has anyone heard the Zawinul Syndicate?? what a fantastic band

after that, I would love to see Steve Jenkins here. He's a little obscure, unless you're in the NYC tri-state area and know a lot of obscure jazz musicians. He also only has one album, but I rank it in my top 20 best jazz-rock albums ever!

So Darkshade when we begin Jazz Archives??Smile

ugh, i would love to do this, and it seemed to have great support in the thread I started about it, but we'd still need someone who knows how to start up a site. I know close to nothing on that. But once we had something going, I'd spend a good amount of time making it one of the best sites (after this one of course Wink)

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:55
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

lol ... today I was browsing through the jazz vinyl section of my favorite local record store ... from there I remember many of the suggestions here. Well, jazzarchives it is then.Wink

lol ... today I was browsing through the metal CD's section of my favorite local record store ... from there I remember many of the suggestions here. Well, metalarchives it is then.Wink

Artists like Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock has made music in different genres during their careers lasting for about 50 years each. Jazz is still the natural section for them, even for their jazzrock-fusion albums. Most often I find Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, sometimes even Canterbury bands in recordstores jazzsection as well.

Btw. Where did you find Jamiroquai? In the jazz or prog-section?

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:19
I'll say once again that Keith Jarrett should be considered as well, particularly for his '70's solo concert recordings.  These recordings are stunning displays of not just his chops as a keyboard player, but his assimilation of an incredible breadth of musical forms.

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 05:40
Joke suggestion: Frank Sinatra
Serious Suggestion: The Friendly Bears

TFB have backed Kayo Dot on several occasions. They're pretty awesome!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 06:54

lol ... today I was browsing through the metal CD's section of my favorite local record store ... from there I remember many of the suggestions here. Well, metalarchives it is then.Wink

Touché. Well, it was meant as a joke anyway ... I have yet to find a music store which actually has a prog department.Embarrassed

Artists like Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock has made music in different genres during their careers lasting for about 50 years each. Jazz is still the natural section for them, even for their jazzrock-fusion albums. Most often I find Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, sometimes even Canterbury bands in recordstores jazzsection as well.

Btw. Where did you find Jamiroquai? In the jazz or prog-section?

Of course Jamiroquai always ends up in Pop/Rock ... just like Yes, Genesis and Van der Graaf Generator. But if you listen to his music with open ears, especially the first two albums, it should be obvious that it's Jazz-Fusion/Funk inspired heavily by the bands from the 70s which are being discussed now. Granted, he also made quite a few pop singles and you won't find many long tracks on his albums ... but the music is pretty advanced, as are the players.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 07:16

Joke suggestion: Frank Sinatra

Just a follow up on your joke suggestion, not about to suggest anything myself. Frank Sinatra actually made several concept albums. My favorite is  the achingly beautiful and melancholic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watertown_%28album%29 - Watertown

Btw. The earliest fullblown, and one of the most successfull conceptalbums I know of is http://www.lpdiscography.com/h/Hazlewood/hazlewood_trouble.htm - Lee Hazelwood: Trouble is a Lonesome Town from 63.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:25

Touché. Well, it was meant as a joke anyway ... I have yet to find a music store which actually has a prog department.Embarrassed

Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 20:57
wow this thread died. any word on if these artists are being added?

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:02
sorry man.... got caught up in some  stuff and didn't follow through on this.....I'll make sure those 3 suggestions get passed to Richard and Martin.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:03

Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ

not to mention EVERY music store in Italy Heart

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:05
aah i would love to visit Italy and check out their music stores (and their cuisine!!)

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:25
oh yeah... love the album stores there.. even the chain stores...  the mom and pop places there?... oh nelly...and yeah... the cuisine... let's just say that since Raff and I met...  have only been to Olive Garden once.. and that was with her to show her our take on Italian cooking LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:59
Yeah Darkshade, you should visit Italy, it is way cool.

Wow, it is so nice and mellow over here, cool place to hang out. Can you believe David's (Atavachron) attempt to celebrate a little piece of history brought out such rabid responses from some people, that we couldn't have a little bipartisan chat ... actually I'm not suprised at all, I'm sure there is plenty more where that came from, on here and elsewhere.

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 22:05
I know....   had a bit of a PM conversation about that hahhaha.  That was a shame about David's thread...  it is history we are watching... and I am quite proud to have be seeing it.  Shame not everyone can appreciate it ...like him or not.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 22:45
I'm no Obama fan-boy anymore than I am a devotee of any politician, but as an old guy from the southern part of the states, you just have to appreciate what is going on here.

Don't worry we will get this thread back on semi-official jazz rock proposalisms soon enough, but I thought this might be a safe place for a quick exchange before they bring out the water hoses and german shepards again ... ha ha ha, just kidding folks.

Anyway, it looks like Darkshade, Roctapus and myself will hammer out the new jazz-rock proposals through heated and often bitter debate, while we give Micky clandestine ciggerettes to act as our go between to the head wardens, Martin and Dick, while David pays occaisonal visits to impart vague and possibly dubious spiritual advice.

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 23:09
hahhahahha.. sounds like a plan...

hahhaha.. well my quick post before going on topic.. hell.. this is my thread anyway hahah.  I was a Hillary supporter till the primaries when I saw if she couldn't run a good campaign.. she sure as hell couldn't run a country. The more I looked a Obama the more I was impressed... and tonight I was highly impressed with his speech. There was a time that might have supported McCain... because I do have a high amount of respect for him as person. Yet lost it when he kissed the ass of those who blistered him in the 2000 primaries. So much for being a maverick.  The main thing is though... His policies ... like his party... are completely out of touch with those who make less than 6 figures a year.  Never understood why a working person would ever vote right...  they sure as hell don't care about you. Oh well

bot....

'ENOUGH'  yep....  exactly...

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 02:06

aah i would love to visit Italy and check out their music stores (and their cuisine!!)

And the women!!!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 02:07
Cecil Taylor and Sam Rivers

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 13:45
im still for Herbie Hancock being added. Then Zawinul and Shorter

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 16:19

Cecil Taylor and Sam Rivers

That's just silly. Both are avantgarde/freejazz. No known relation to jazzrock-fusion. This thread is gonna be worthless if people just suggest any random jazzartist they've heard of.

What tracks or albums made you want to suggest them?

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 16:47
John has done a fabulous bio for HH.. and as soon as I get the thumbs-up.... he'll be added.

-------------

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 09:00
Jack DeJohnette... I think that his music is Jazz, pure Jazz... But with Rock arrengements.  'Sorcery' is a great example of Jazz Fusion, also if it remain a great Jazz album.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 10:18
Throwing in my 2 cents.
Really surprised to not see Alex Machacek here. Forum search doesn't even show a mention of him. He started with kind of a hybrid Zappa/Holdsworth writing style, moving off in his own direction now. Very appropriate for PA IMHO.

http://www.alexmachacek.com/ - http://www.alexmachacek.com/

http://www.myspace.com/alexmachacek - http://www.myspace.com/alexmachacek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQ3fpSp5sA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQ3fpSp5sA

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 17:07
just an update... heard from Martin on HH.   we're waiting on the addition until the next member of the J-R/F team is officially announced and promoted.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 22:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

just an update... heard from Martin on HH.   we're waiting on the addition until the next member of the J-R/F team is officially announced and promoted.  

who is it?

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 22:40
Wilding -Bonus- Pleasure Signals deserves inclusion-wass up?

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: September 03 2008 at 23:18
what happened to that great Jazz Appreciation thread? im gonna revive it

-------------

Posted By: esha9751
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 08:59
I reckon The Leprechaun and The Mad Hatter alone should qualify Chick Corea as a born proghead for this site

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 22:18
Originally posted by esha9751 esha9751 wrote:

I reckon The Leprechaun and The Mad Hatter alone should qualify Chick Corea as a born proghead for this site

not to mention his Elektric Band. He could be added as solo, as well as the CCEB albums. Kinda like how Larry Coryell is here as a solo artist, but The Eleventh House Band albums are under his title too. I think that would be a very good idea. Chick Corea is the most prog jazz artist, no one can deny that, just listen to Return to Forever. Stanley Clarke may be a close second (its no wonder they worked together)

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2008 at 22:36
hey ive been mostly gone from the forums for a while. what happened to Herbie Hancock being added? this whole thread DIED, as most jazz-related topics do after a couple of weeks. why is this??

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2008 at 12:32
Because, we are just laid back cats daddy-o, like Jazz should be. No bumpers here.

To semi-paraphrase Zappa, with artistic license:
"The semi-official Jazz-Rock/Fusion proposal thread " is not dead, it just smells funny.

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 04 2008 at 12:44

Glenn Miller
Jaga Jazzist
Jamiroquai

Glen Miller jazzrockfusion? Is it because you've read in one of Dick Heath's posts that someone were playing guitar on his 1938 livealbum? 

If you believe the Glenn Miller Story, after 1938 he played safe getting a big audience playing dance band music. If you want to hear jazz jump a quantum level, check out Benny Goodman's1938 recording Live At Carnegie Hall............

I find Jamiroquoi interesting but  derivative and as the more albums have been released safer and safer musically. Said, when I heard his second album: 'early Chicago fronted by Stevie Wonder' - actually now swop Chicago withTower Of Power. When I had Dennis Rollins (played trombone in one JK'sline-ups) guest on my show a couple of times, I suggested the Chicago/Stevie Wonder thing and he agreed!

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 04 2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Throwing in my 2 cents.
Really surprised to not see Alex Machacek here. Forum search doesn't even show a mention of him. He started with kind of a hybrid Zappa/Holdsworth writing style, moving off in his own direction now. Very appropriate for PA IMHO.

http://www.alexmachacek.com/ - http://www.alexmachacek.com/

http://www.myspace.com/alexmachacek - http://www.myspace.com/alexmachacek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQ3fpSp5sA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQ3fpSp5sA

Said that myself on PA.  Alex knows I was one of several  who reviewed McHacek's Featuring Ourselves, who stated musically they sounded like Mothers fronted by Holdsworth, at which Alex largely stopped doing the Holdsworthian stuff, concentrating on the complex rhythms and his own sound. BTW just be informed Alex is still involved with Jobson's UKX project.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 06:26
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Glenn Miller
Jaga Jazzist
Jamiroquai

If you believe the Glenn Miller Story, after 1938 he played safe getting a big audience playing dance band music. If you want to hear jazz jump a quantum level, check out Benny Goodman's1938 recording Live At Carnegie Hall............

Sure. Its still absurd that "avantgardehead" suggests him for jazzrockfusion.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: October 08 2008 at 11:55
Anybody have a chance to check out the recent Virgil Donati(Planet X) project called On the Virg.

http://www.last.fm/music/On+the+Virg - Check them out, Last.fm free download available

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2008 at 20:49
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Anybody have a chance to check out the recent Virgil Donati(Planet X) project called On the Virg.

http://www.last.fm/music/On+the+Virg - Check them out, Last.fm free download available

ive heard a couple of tracks from one of his solo albums from a friend, but dont own any of his albums. been on my list of things to get, but havent had a chance to cross that one off yet. there's soo much music out there

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 00:22
Hmmm, Zed might be a worthwhile addition - check out their stuff here:
http://www.zedfusion.com/zednav.html

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 06:57
I think I've sggested Steve Smith's Vital Information a few times but I think I was shot down in flames.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2008 at 14:34
Herbie Hancock is on PA!!! Please add albums, we need your help.

Cheers!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk