Printed Date: June 02 2024 at 04:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lifeson vs Latimer
Posted By: JROCHA
Subject: Lifeson vs Latimer
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:39
Who is your favorite ? pick please

-------------
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Replies:
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:45
Not that fond of either. Both have left me utterly cold on many occasions, even if their best (Lady Fantasy and The Necromancer, respectively) is stunning. Hm. Lifeson probably edges it for being generally more fun.

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:45
Latimer kicks more ass than Lifeson.

-------------

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:47
Hmm....let's see
Alex Lifeson-One of the most underrated guitarists ever (both in the prog and mainstream eyes) and in my favorite band of all time.
Andy Latimer-On this website, someone who's very well liked, but nowhere near one of my favorite musicians period.
I wonder who I picked?LOL

-------------

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:51
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

Hmm....let's see
Alex Lifeson-One of the most underrated guitarists ever (both in the prog and mainstream eyes) and in my favorite band of all time.
Andy Latimer-On this website, someone who's very well liked, but nowhere near one of my favorite musicians period.

Well, we see new things every day...

I've never seen either Rush in general or Lifeson underappreciated by the mainstream. Sure, they're not as well known as, say, Floyd or Hendrix, but most people will have some idea about them and say they really like them. The prog world, well, I see no lack of love for him here, except perhaps that he's left out in the Howe/Hackett/Gilmour/Fripp polls that occasionally turn up around here.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:59
I vote for Lifeson.  He's in a band with Geddy Lee.

Posted By: JoaoPirucas
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:26
I love Alex Lifeson's sound, but Andy Latimer is something else.

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:27
Latimer by far, Lifeson is incredibly boring IMO.

-------------

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Hmm....let's see

Well, we see new things every day...

I've never seen either Rush in general or Lifeson underappreciated by the mainstream. Sure, they're not as well known as, say, Floyd or Hendrix, but most people will have some idea about them and say they really like them. The prog world, well, I see no lack of love for him here, except perhaps that he's left out in the Howe/Hackett/Gilmour/Fripp polls that occasionally turn up around here.

I disagree entirely with you there. In discussions of extremely prominent and "good" guitarists, Lifeson doesn't get near as mentioned as he should in prog discussions OR mainstream discussions. I bet you for each 100 people out there you randomly run into that know who Gilmour is, only 1 or 2 know who Lifeson is. And even then, even less would rank him more highly... while I say that Gilmour is a much less proficient player than Lifeson. Stern%20Smile

And that's just THAT example. I think Lifeson is one of the most influential rock guitarists of all time, let alone in prog or rock at all. For that, he is extremely underappreciated.

This poll is a joke, IMO. Confused

-------------

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Latimer by far, Lifeson is incredibly boring IMO.

I think Camel is entirely boring. LOL

-------------

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:22
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I vote for Lifeson.  He's in a band with Geddy Lee.

And Neil Peart! Clap

-------------

Posted By: Figglesnout
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:23
Lat

Im

Er

Plzzz

Lifeson bores me, as does Rush, typically. I like Latimer's smooth style, yo.

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:34
SeeLatimer' s soul  bared on Ice  played live on the DVD Coming of Age : CASE CLOSED FOR ME.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:41
Lifeson, although I don't think either of these guys are even in my top 75 guitarists.

-------------

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:49
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

SeeLatimer' s soul  bared on Ice  played live on the DVD Coming of Age : CASE CLOSED FOR ME.

Was he playing a hockey game with the Canadiens??LOLWink

I tthink Latimer is way more melodic and  searching for the right note at the right moment when Lifeson has more power and energy!

Don't think they can't be compared anyway....they don't play the same music and don't appeal to the same crowds as we can see on this thread.

So i am going to vote for Johny ThundersLOL

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:50
as much as I love listening to Rush anything with the Rush connection wins these polls wouldn't matter who its against so long as Rush has a connection ... it wins Approve

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:51
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

NY Dolls guitarist , no? Jeez, you got real proggy taste, febus. I would have pushed the aptly named Punky Meadows from Angel, remember that Winter Song ? LOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:55

NY Dolls guitarist , no? Jeez, you got real proggy taste, febus. I would have pushed the aptly named Punky Meadows from Angel, remember that Winter Song ? LOL

Winter song??/ no there are some hiidden prog gems i am not aware of   .I still have a lot to learn from youLOL

Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:58

Winter song??/ no there are some hiidden prog gems i am not aware of   .I still have a lot to learn from youLOL

Angel : the dressed in all White US band had this huge hit that was actually quite good called Winter Song with a pretty decent vocal and lots of synths/trons . Look it up on You Tube , I will now!

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:05
I'm a little surprised that either of these guys playing would be described as boring. Latimer's playing is much like Gilmours,very emotional and uplifting for me. Lifeson plays lead for my favourite band so obviously he's one of my heroes. They're so different from one another that it probably boils down to who's style you like better. If Gilmour was up there instead of Latimer it might be a closer rsesult.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: PROGMONSTER2008
Date Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:16
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Not that fond of either. Both have left me utterly cold on many occasions, even if their best (Lady Fantasy and The Necromancer, respectively) is stunning. Hm. Lifeson probably edges it for being generally more fun.

Great bands and those 2 songs are pretty weak imo

-------------
Jazz/Classical Rock(70's style prog/fusion). Lots of prog keys and melodies(all original ideas)
http://www.myspace.com/vigilante2008" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/vigilante2008

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 00:31
Latimer has never failed to disappoint me. That's not to say Lifeson has, but it's a difficult decision either way. 

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 00:32
Lifeson.

I love Rush.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 02:57
Latimer has played some brilliant melodic solos in his time. I've a lot of respect for him as a soloist, but I find a lot of Camels work rather dull.

Lifeson is a very original guitarist, and I much prefer the music of Rush, so Alex gets my vote.

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:11
Both Guitarrist are GREAT, but Latimer do more elaborate and intricate guitar passages and solos

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:15
Lifeson's pretty good, but Latimer is the best guitarist I've ever heard. Such melody, such emotion.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: jimidom
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:21

Gotta go with Lifeson. I just love the way he has been able to effortlessly go back and forth from heavy to ethereal to acoustic throughout his lengthy career.

-------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Posted By: Erpland316
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 18:15
Lifeson is a great player but there a thousand other players just like him.  Andy Latimer has certain touch that I cant seem to grasp.  Listen to Moonmadness if you want to know what I mean!

-------------
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 18:34
"Yawns"  Oh dear Chalk and  Cheese,  but ill go  Latimer  

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:20
Latimer´s melodic work is so full of emotion, love it

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 14:06
The score is 19 all for now. I went for Latimer, my second favourite guitarist of all time, sound, emotian, everything, to listen with your eyes closed, feeling like he does. 

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:01
Alex Lifeson guitar style is quite a good mix of Lommi's and Page's style, well at least in 2112. I would consider Alex Lifeson playing great for any hard rocker, riff mastery! Similar fellow would be Martin Barre.

While Andy Latimer has composed some great, lovely material with Camel. Their early days, had a more own guitar style, while lately, it's quite confused with Gilmour's style, but nonethless it's great.

If it were a hard rock poll, Alex would definitely get my vote..not saying he's not Prog, but it's not his special spot as for Andy it is.

Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Breathless and Rajaz!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:10
I'm a huge Camel and Rush fan, but for me, Andy has always been one of the most emotionally expressive guitarists out there.  And he's definitely in my top 3 guitarists of all time, whether he or Gilmour get number 2 changes on a regular basis.  Alex is also a great guitarist, a master of technique and some great riffs, but Andy wins hands down.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:12
Latimer sings, Lifeson raps. Lifeson makes great riffs, Latimer plays great solos. Very different two guitarists. The thing that I like about Latimer more, what made me vote for him was, that he makes melodies that make me want to cry. Lifeson just seems to pull and tear and scratch his guitar while playing solos, and in my book he's always been the weakest link in Rush, if you need to find one. Latimer, certainly, there's no doubt about it. But I still love Rush.

Posted By: alanerc
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:36

Hmm....let's see

Well, maybe it's underrated because he's ina a band with 2 of the greatest rock super powers: Neil Peart and Geddy Lee
But yeah, he plays very cool,not of my favorites but I have to admit, he did one of my favorites guitar solo ever: the one in fly by night, and I love the sound of his guitar (in da 70's era)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk