Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51334
Printed Date: June 15 2024 at 00:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: One night only!
Posted By: crimhead
Subject: One night only!
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:03
The idea from this came out of me seeing Robert Fripp at Blueberry Hill in St. Louis as well as Bill Bruford at the Roxy in Los Angeles.

If it was a one night one show only in a venue that sat 400-600 people who would it be and why?

Replies:
Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:05
David Gilmour for me or Roger Waters, they would the most convincing for me, playing Floyd material.

If we were on the 70's, I would go and see Peter Gabriel's costumes and everything.

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:07
I had a hard time picking between Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel. Anderson I've seen live before, and Gabriel never. But then I thought, well, Ian Anderson has been my biggest idol since the day I first heard progressive rock, played that time by Jethro Tull. Damn, I'd spend a night with him even if there was no music.

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:10
Tatsuya Yoshida

the youtube glimpses of his one-man show Ruins Alone are exciting

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:13
From the list it would definitely be Peter Gabriel, but all-time, I might have to go with Fela Kuti.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:19
Out of this list, I chose Rick Wakeman.  I enjoy his dry humor.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:27
I voted for Robert Fripp, but now that I think about it, it would be even cooler to see David Sylvian.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:43
I was fortunate enough to see Rick Wakeman in a fairly small setting last summer in Toronto.  It was a really good show.  I got to say "hi" to him as he walked in the front door about a half an hour before show time, and then after the show I got to meet him, take a picture with him, and have him sign the setlist.  There might have been more than 600 people there, but not much more.  Therefore, my vote goes for Keith Emerson, the other super keys man from the 70's.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:47
bruford w/ the "feels good to me" lineup in a small club

* drool *

Posted By: Endless Wire
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:27
Peter Gabriel, no doubt.  He's number one on my list of people I want to see live, but I'd rather see him on a big tour similar to Growing Up Live.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:31
Bill Bruford.

Always wanted to see him live and he is probably my favorite musician of all time. (Preferably it would be with KC or his Bruford band...but I'll take it will earthworks or with whoever any day Tongue)

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:39
Gabriel, I already saw Fripp in a small theater

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:41
Peter Hammill, but since hes not here i go with Miles.

-------------

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:49
Jaco Pastorius for me, i love his bass, it sounds like no other

-------------
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Posted By: listen
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:34
Bill Bruford, because I'm a drummer

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:43
As a bass player I'm going to go with Pastorius

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:46
Rick in Concert is priceless...his sense of humour is always value for money, on its own...Clap

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:48
Frank Zappa, no doubt about it. Bring him back from the dead one night so I can see my favorite guitarist!LOL

-------------

Posted By: Nipsey88
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:50
Went with Miles from this list, as the chance to see Bitches Brew material live would be the stuff of dreams.

Others I'd like to see would be (or have been) Coltrane, Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, and Todd Rundgren.

oooh almost forgot the mighty FZ!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nipsey88/?chartstyle=myspace02" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 18:56
Not very prog, but an evening with PAUL MCCARTNEY on a piano and me with a glass of moet et Chandon would please me extremelyThumbs%20Up

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:38
Some of these guys like Peter Gabriel need to be seen on huge stages you know? Thats why I went with Rob Fripp, it would be awesome no matter the venue.

-------------

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 20:46
Miles

-------------
Prog fan since 1974.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 21:28
Bryan Ferry and a piano , some good food and some good port , a couple of Roxy babes and then , I can die with a smile.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: alanerc
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 22:35

PD. can we put in a some bizarre way both Bruford and Davis togheter LOL ?

Posted By: alanerc
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 22:36
Excelent Poll

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 22:58
Miles no doubt! Wellllll shoot, I forgot the other option. In which case it would have been Coltrane. But I voted Miles so I stick by that. The man was brilliant. Great player/writer/director, and he always had a great group to back him up. Although I'm not fond of Marcus Miller's playing, but he's not bad.

Posted By: 33rpm
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 23:06
Ian Anderson was the best front man ever. At least when I saw him in the seventies.

-------------
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 27 2008 at 23:08
Having breakfast with Derek Dick  aka Fish could be a serious blast! Funniest prog star , bar none!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: omri
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 01:01
El Bothy - don't take it personal but I hate you.
I never saw Fripp. I voted for him ofcorse !

-------------
omri

Posted By: kenmartree
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 01:49
I voted Gabriel even though I've seen him six times and twice in a small venue.  Probably Kate Bush for an artist I've never seen, and few have on this side of the ocean since she won't fly!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 03:24
Ian Anderson for me, for his unmatched voice and stage persona. Simply one of the most chalenging musicians ever.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 03:51
This is a really good question. From the list I'd probably go for Keith Emerson.
I would love to see Eddie Jobson, but think the prospect of him ever treading the boards again seems very remote.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 11:33
Rick Wakeman Heart

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:14
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>This is a really good question. From the list I'd probably go for Keith Emerson.
I would love to see Eddie Jobson, but think the prospect of him ever treading the boards again seems very remote.

About Jobson this might give you some hope.

http://www.ukzband.com - http://www.ukzband.com

Posted By: Luke. J
Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:30

A small venue? Well, I think of those there would be nothing like seeing Miles perform in a small, smoky bar. His 60's albums just have the feeling for that.. (also he could play with Bruford and Herbie Hancock plus the special guest Keith Emerson.. ok, if Emerson does not go over the top). It is this certain problem with charismatic musicians.. everyone can play the music, but no one can replace the musician behind it, so rest in peace Miles.. pardon, Mr Davis..

Ignoring the "Other" choice, because it could have been so many others..

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 22:53
I'd rather see myself playing before 400-600 people than anyone else.

Second would be Laplace. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 14:02
It's nice to see Miles get some votes. He would have been the easiest of these to have seen in an intimate setting.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 14:37

Other, I think Banco or PFM or Le Orme.

Though I was lucky to see Ian Anderson with Tull, 3 times, in quite a small venues (about 1000 people) and, just this week, Keith Emerson Band, again in a venue with no more than 1000 seats. 

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:57
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Gabriel, I already saw Fripp in a small theater
AngryAngryAngry

I missed that one!!! Are you talking about the ND Ateneo show?

I voted for Emerson , since I am listening to 1st piano Conceto and I think it would be great to have him at Teatro Colon playing jazz and classical themes for 2 hours a la Keith Jarrett.
Other AMAZING choice would be the Soft Machine playing Third ,Fourth and Fifth in a row!!!

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 17:05
Here's another vote for Miles.  Back in 1982, I bought tickets to see him in a relatively small venue (2000 or so seats).  Unfortunately he was a no-show due to illness, so I never did get to see him in concert. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 17:42
Back in the early 80's I've seen Nico in such a setting, so I think I vote for John Cale now.
I always liked his solo performances...

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 18:20
From the list: Fripp

Any artist: Dream Theater, I've seen them in a fairly small venue..but I'd love to see them play it again.

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 04:46
From the list, Jaco.

-------------

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 07:42
Peter Hammill

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk