Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51369
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 15:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who hates radio music?
Posted By: hawkcwg
Subject: Who hates radio music?
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:07
Radio music is playing repetitive crap of stupid f**king 80's 90's music. It plays those horrible songs that make your ears bleed. We want real people who will play music that is not so mainstream. Music thats not "Radio Safe".

These are our radio stations we should be able to vote on people to control radio stations. People that will play good music like the Guy who made progarchives, and play like the free streaming new stuff, but also that good old stuff,  you know that way we get some variety.
THANKYOU, THANKYOU ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I'm tired of it.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:09
easy solution:  turn off the radio

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:12
Totally and utterly disagree.

I enjoy plenty of the stuff on radio (without really loving any of it). Moreover, it keeps me in touch with the concerns of another generation. And occasionally I find some gem that leads me in a new musical direction.

To hate everything from a particular source on principle seems like an awfully narrow way of going about life. Isn't this a progressive site?

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:17
I agree for the biggest part. I'm tired of it too.

Luckily we have a radio station in Belgium called Classic 21, where I already heard Close To The Edge during prime time, when I was driving from a supermarket, as well as older stuff by Genesis, Roxy Music etc. In the evening, when I drove back from a meeting, I heard music from Triumvirat (Spartacus), a Conny Plank special (Kraftwerk), obscure '60's bands, etc.

In the Netherlands they have Arrow Classic Rock, which already surprised me with non-single material by Marillion, Yes etc.

So there are exceptions.

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:31
well Europe may be a different story but America's got some bad crappy radio stations. Very rarely do you hear any good music. Never any prog, besides genesis.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:37
Look i'm 16 years old I'm from that generation, and its not a generation its the "Emo" generation that listen to sh*tty music like blink 182, fall out boy "Alternative music". Alternative to good music. Maybe i've grown bitter to some of the radio. Very rarely have i heard anything good besides led zeppelin, and hey you by Pink Floyd. Maybe its just our radio stations in Virginia. but its pretty bad we don't even have a jazz radio station anymore. I wish i was living in the sixties and 70's because at least back then they had the progressive radio station, that played new progressive music

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:40
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

or put Radio 3 on, and listen to some classical....Approve

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:44
I don't hare radio music. I just hate hearing music on the radio, any. I can't stand somebody doing the chosing for me, and much less can I stand idiots speaking bullsh*t over precious seconds of the songs.... So I have never, EVER in my entire life been a radio fan. I have always relied on my own archive. So, I don't have a problem with the music that's played on radio, but with the radio as a music source.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 16:00
That is a good point. Do not rely on music rely on your ipod haha. I agree greatly with you, i hate having people choose music for me.

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 16:37
I hate radio, period except for sport coverage. Why? Mainly advertisements and the music of the popular slants.  It does not mean I am out of touch with whats outthere ( I have three kids) plus all the usual music TV stations. When I am in my car, noone gets access to the radio. CD's all the way!!! Why people want to lsiten to adverts ( unless you are on a classical type station) for 40-50% of the time is beyond me.

Radio will always be there so the people who love it ...cool too.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Damn right, the Proms!! Approve

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 16:51
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Damn right, the Proms!! Approve

as I've always said...you're a man of culture, taste and distinction, Victor...Wink

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: jimidom
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 16:59

I tend to avoid corporate radio (Clear Channel) and opt instead for either college radio or public radio. Our local Pacifica affiliate plays a pretty cool eclectic mix of folk, alt country, blues, jazz, and sometimes prog.

-------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:39
I rarely listen to the radio, and when I do, it's WMGK, which is the classic rock station here in Philadelphia which plays songs from the 60s and 70s. I just hate the radio because of the never ending commercials. Thankfully I have a very large music collection to make up for listening to the radio. 

Posted By: YesFan72
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:56
I just listen to CD's or my iPod.

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

I tend to avoid corporate radio (Clear Channel) and opt instead for either college radio or public radio. Our local Pacifica affiliate plays a pretty cool eclectic mix of folk, alt country, blues, jazz, and sometimes prog.

Good point, there are some very proactive smaller radio stations around without all the commercial fanfare..just not my thing.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:11
we only listen to WDR 3, which plays anything but crap. mostly classical music, some jazz, some ethnic music and other stuff. sometimes prog too. it is always excellent music though

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:17
I really don't care.
They're not catering to my tastes, so when I song I don't like I turn it
off or change the channel.

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:32
I am not sure how you can call a lot of radio's currently rotating playlists "safe" seeing as they make me want to kill.

still, I don't blame the artists and/or bands cornered into making such insipid sh*t, and wish they could be doing what they really wanted to ;P

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:59
they make me wanna kill too haha

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 19:28
Well, mainstream radio stations I avoid like the plague, but when I did used to listen to radio, it was mainly an hour a week jazz fusion thing that I really enjoyed. No pop music in sight (or to hearWink)

-------------

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by YesFan72 YesFan72 wrote:

I just listen to CD's or my iPod.

My sentiments there. Except that I'm too old-fashioned to use an iPod. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:25
I put maybe cause I felt like it.

-------------

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 01:56
Although I voted yes, I'm going to say something unusual.

Sometimes I'll listen to the radio in the afternoon or when I'm in the mood for some light music. On my small town's only 3 or 4 modern stations, they're just pop music with maybe some alternative or rock mixed in. Nothing special.

But later in the day they have something called the "afternoon afterburner" where they play hard rock on the radio. I actually enjoy it, because it's music I haven't heard before. Yes, if I had heard "Psycho" by Puddle of Mudd on the radio before, It probably wouldn't have been exciting when I listened to it today. Even though the songs don't have much substance, they're good if you've never heard it before for a little "rocking out".

I even heard the Disturbed version of "Land of Confusion" today, which for my radio is pretty heavy (shame). I realized that I prefer that version to the Genesis version. Both of them are rather boring though.

-------------

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 03:18

Haven't bothered with radio for quite sometime now.

Did go through a talk radio phase in the early 90s.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 06:11
The only music station I listen to is Captital Radio, because it's what everyone else in my office wants to listen to. Capital, like many commercial stations, have aplay list of around 25 songs which they just repeat throughout the day, and it's sometimes the case that you start off liking a song, but by the end of a week or two it's fingernails on a blackboard. Capital is appalling. It's almost as if they know what I hate, and just play it over and over again. If I ever hear that f ing Kid Rock song again.....

Occassionally I'll listen to Planet Rock on DAB. Rick Wakemens show can be amusing, and plays some good music. Other than that I listen to BBC Radio 4, which is mainly a current affairs station, and doesn't play music.

In spite of this, I dont think radio is really any worse than it ever was. In the 80's, daytime radio was just as bad.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 07:25
Planet Rock (DAB) for me too - wakes us up in the morning (ah, the times the first thing I've heard in the morning is Zappa or Yes or Tull ); the only problem is the morning DJ is 'Alice Cooper'... for which read, Vincent Furnier, aka Alice Cooper, aka a boring middle aged golfer with a fixation on laughing at his own jokes & sharing boring anecdotessszzzzzz.

Still - good music though & Wakeman's show on a Saturday's good, too.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: August 29 2008 at 13:20
My majority of radio listening is locally owned radio outlets, I am lucky that in Missouri the last two places that I lived offered locally owned stations, and NPR stations. I am tired of Clear Channel and the formats that the suits force upon us.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: August 30 2008 at 04:40
I listen to BBC Radio London sporadically. It has some excellent 'DJs'
Danny Baker,Robert Elms and Gary Crowley but also has some very interesting and 'left field' discussions.

I listen to BBC Radio 2 for 'Whispering' Bob Harris's and Mike Harding's shows and I listen to BBC Radio 3 for my classical fix.

On DAB I listen to Planet Rock and Stuart Maconie's Sunday Show.He plays some excellent music including Prog'.

So,all-in-all,radio music isn't bad.

Seek and you shall find...

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 09:05
There's many enjoyable songs played on the radio, IMO. Though there's a lot of crap as well, so I basically change the channel or put on a CD everytime a song I dislike get's played.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:01
99% of all radio music here is pure crap.
Some channels play decent stuff.

Posted By: acelxpro
Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 17:05
The radio station I listen to at work plays Tull, Genesis, Rush, Leppelin, Floyd and every saturday does a two hour tribute segment to a genre or band. This coming week is The Who.

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 20:57
Once more, we attack commercial operations because they base their decisions on trying to maximize their profit. The government owns the airwaves, but cannot mandate that they spotlight Gentle Giant 3 times a day. I, however, have a CD player in my home, my car, and a portable one. So I can listen to GG 24 hours a day If I can stay up that long.
So remember, mainstream radio is aimed at garnering a sizeable audience so as to attract advertising dollars. Community radio is looser in format because it is subsidized in part (UNiversity or Colleges, or government cultural grants). But even those stations do not find favour with the people who hate commercial radio. Why ? Because they don't always play what you want to hear. Even services such as XM/Sirius and the innumerable Internet podcasts cannot be said to play setlists tailored to your very specific tastes. I like to hear new music. But there are times when hearing a string of new music gets me to change the station or put on a CD, because I don't want to waste my time listening to songs I don't like, new or not.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: September 01 2008 at 23:20
You have some very thought out solid points there debrewguy

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 03:25

Not everyone has that luxury.

I like classical radio. There is almost nothing good on the rest of it, and I include "classic rock" radio.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 03:34
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I am not sure how you can call a lot of radio's currently rotating playlists "safe" seeing as they make me want to kill.

still, I don't blame the artists and/or bands cornered into making such insipid sh*t, and wish they could be doing what they really wanted to ;P
I think that if you think Linkin Park or whoever would rather be writing 30 minute songs, you are vastly misunderstanding them.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 13:12
Originally posted by hawkcwg hawkcwg wrote:

You have some very thought out solid points there debrewguy

If you've been around this site for awhile, you're able to develop and refine answers to topics that keep re-occurring.
Another popular one is why obscure bands don't get airplay on mainstream radio Confused

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: September 02 2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Once more, we attack commercial operations because they base their decisions on trying to maximize their profit.

Planet Rock nearly went under as the holding company decided it was no longer a 'viable platform' despite the station winning various awards & garnering very respectable audience figures.

Luckily, it was so well though of that a bunch of musicians (including Brian May and Fish, I believe) got together with a money man, bought it & now run it.

It only now remains to be seen how long they can keep it up & running...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: September 07 2008 at 11:35
I agree slightly. Most radio stations are a bit sh*te. But i beg to differ on classic FM.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: progvortex
Date Posted: October 01 2008 at 01:21
The closest thing we've got is KLOS. They at least play some Floyd, Rush and Yes. But even with those bands they only play the most poppy stuff, like Owner of a Lonely Heart for yes, Another Brick p.2, Tom Sawyer....

-------------
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 01 2008 at 02:17

I listen a couple of radio stations that transmit Rock and even some 70's POP which I like.

At the end, you can't eat caviar 3 times a day the 7 days of a week. Wink

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2008 at 21:03
I keep finding these buttons and dials on my radio, stereo, car radio, and various other radio signal"receiving" devices. One is marked On/Off. I have found out that it allows me to turn the radio On and Off. There is another one marked Tuning. It moves a tiny bar across a length marked with different numbers (AM & FM ???) that seem to be useful in finding locations where different stations play music. I have found out that the music does change from one to another. This tuning button/dial also seems to be over-ridden by the On/Off button.
I therefore hypothesize that I have a multitude of options available to me, including not listening to the radio at all.

In pursuing my musing on related subjects, it has dawned on me that the internet also has a multitude of musical offerings that I can control in the same manner. It has taken more effort from me to find the stations, but I have found the same freedom to change stations and turn the computer off.

This has brought me to a great realization - that I have the freedom of choice. And as I am not masochistic, I avoid listening to stations or to the radio if the music therein is not to my liking. The power is going to my head.

Next, I am proceeding to study the logic behind business' goal of profitability, and the desire of the people who put their money into the hands of companies to get the best return on their investment. I believe that this could explain some very basic economic actions.
In the meantime, I thought I'd waste some time watching the Canadian leaders debating in french. (ce n'est pas important de parler le bon francais; c'est de parler le bon sens)

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 01 2008 at 22:46
what is a radio? I haven't used one except for morning traffic while in the car and then I slide in some Brand X, Nemo or CAP..,. Radio, hahahahahahahaha, archaic piece of marketing propaganda . Toetapping drivel

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk