Print Page | Close Window

New Marillion album to be free to download

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51685
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 16:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Marillion album to be free to download
Posted By: ProgRobUK
Subject: New Marillion album to be free to download
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 06:34
From the BBC News website today ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7606029.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7606029.stm ):

Rock group Marillion are to make their new album available as a free download through file-sharing websites.

But a pop-up box will appear on computer screens when the tracks are first played, encouraging fans to give the band their e-mail address.

Keyboardist Mark Kelly said downloaders would be contacted with offers of gig tickets and other merchandise, to try to make some money back for the band.

"We're willing to try new things and we want to see what happens," he said.

"Everybody's aware of the effect of peer-to-peer file-sharing on CD sales and the music industry in general," he told the BBC News website.

"Up until recently we've felt fairly immune to that because the fans have been really supportive of the band and, I suppose, because of the age demographic, they do tend to prefer CDs to downloads."

Bands have been exploring new ways to release music in recent months, with Radiohead making their last album available online on a pay-what-you-like basis and Prince giving his most recent CD away with a newspaper.

Kelly acknowledged that making Marillion's music available for free was against his natural instinct - "we come from a long tradition of selling it".

But he still expected fans would buy the CD version of Happiness is the Road when it is released on 20 October.

"People forget Radiohead were still number one in the album charts," he added.

"They also say they weren't very successful because they only got an average of £2 per download.

"But they wouldn't have got £2 per sale from [record company] EMI, so in those terms it was actually a big success, and they still sold CDs."

'Loyal fanbase'

Paul Williams, who edits record industry publication Music Week, said Marillion had always been "pretty ground-breaking in terms of doing things differently and they have a very loyal fanbase".

Taking that into consideration, he said, the download plan would "probably work for them quite successfully".

Marillion have bypassed record companies in the past by asking fans to pay for albums before recording began, thereby securing funds for studio time.

"Most acts these days certainly don't make their fortunes based on the traditional way of selling recorded music," Mr Williams noted.

Any thoughts?
Rob

Replies:
Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 09:59
I'll buy the album anyway

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:26
I've pre-ordered it.

I would much rather have the cd than some crap mp3.

Posted By: yorkiemarillion
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:27
Yeah, my pre-order album will arrive in the next week or two.

However, kudos to Marillion for rolling the dice.  A lot of people will probably download the free tracks and give them a whirl - especially as MIsplaced Childhood is being given away free with the Daily Mail in a week or so.

The band should build up a good database of email addresses (you only get the mpg files if you give a valid email).

And Marillion have a lot of extra product to sell to any new fans who get hooked in this way.  After all, this is their 15th studio release!

Posted By: Jorvik
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:40
I can't be bothered downloading the album now, either. I'd rather listen to the FLAC once I've ripped my pre-ordered CDs.

I got the impression that this is not so much about trying new avenues because they think giving it away is a good thing, as facing the inevitable fact that the album will end-up on P2P anyway, so if they release it at least they might be able to reach some people through the pop-up thingy and email.

I suspect, however, that the pop-up will probably be ignored either because those sorts of people probably really don't care that much about music (they certainly don't value it financially) or because they think that the email address will be passed to the authorities and before they know it they've got a nice friendly solicitor's letter LOL

Edit: damn typos!

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
ser jag skuggan utav sorg
drömmar som har slocknat
ifrån ett liv som haft sin tid          

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:43
You may be right - but as I understand it, you dont get the mpg without sending in your email, and the wma file they are making widely available cannot be ripped to ipods etc.

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:50

I hope I like this one. The last release, to me, was marginal.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:55
Is the actual album only going to be released in WMA then rather than MP3?

I did wonder how the pop-up thing was going to work – I didn't think you could do such DRM-like things with MP3, but I wouldn't really know as I won't go near them (either WMA or MP3 actually).

If the album is only going to be in MP3, isn't that going to annoy Mac users? I wonder how long it'll be before someone just rips the album from CD and seeds a torrent with that, bypassing what Marillion are trying to achieve. I suppose at least they are giving it a shot.

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
drömmar som har slocknat

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:55
The buzz amongst thsoe that have listened to the download (I haven't, as I am waiting for the 'real' CD) is very good indeed.  There was a promo posted yesterday on YouTube which promises great things

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_OlG3FV5s - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_OlG3FV5s

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 10:58
The actual album will be released on CD - therefore rippable as whatever you want?

Obviously, files in all formats will turn up eventually when the CD is released - but the band have flooded the torrent sites with the tagged wma files - and there are no physical copies of the CD available yet.

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:00
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I'm with you on that one.

Each successive album seems to generate more and more hyperbole from certain fans. For me, Anoraknophobia is the best thing they've done in recent years and Marbles was so-so, with about one CD's worth of really decent music.

I wasn't at all impressed with Somewhere Else, although I'll admit I've not listened to it a huge amount (there wasn't enough to make me want to listen to it more or at least give it the benefit of the doubt) and I've not listened to it for a while. Hell, I'm not listened to any Marillion in a while; I think I need to start gearing up for the new release and listen to a load and get in the right frame of mind.

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
drömmar som har slocknat

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:03
Well the bonus of this one is that you can try it all out for free if you want!

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by yorkiemarillion yorkiemarillion wrote:

The actual album will be released on CD - therefore rippable as whatever you want?

Really? I never would have realised – I thought I'd pre-ordered MP3s  Wink Tongue

Obviously, files in all formats will turn up eventually when the CD is released - but the band have flooded the torrent sites with the tagged wma files - and there are no physical copies of the CD available yet.

That was what I was getting at. So they're flooding the torrents with WMAs – I think you'll be right about other formats turning up once the CD is released. Have the torrents been flooded already? If so, I think they've done the right thing; hopefully they'll be able to steal a march between now and when the CD comes out and other formats inevitably appear.

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
drömmar som har slocknat

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:07

Well the bonus of this one is that you can try it all out for free if you want!

It's 30 quid and many months too late for that now LOL

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
drömmar som har slocknat

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:26
I caved and am listening to it now. The same thing happened a few years ago when I worked with the country rock band Poco in the design of their album Running Horse and got a copy LONG before it was released. It took nothing away from the actual product when it arrived.

As for Happiness Is The Road, it's absolutely stunning. I haven't heard a stinker so far (on "Planet Marzipan" right now). If I feel like this in a few months, then I could like it more than Marbles. First impressions is it's a masterpiece. It really is.

E

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 12:07
Aw this is nice. Hug

I was gonna download it anyway, at least for the time being. (I really cannot spare that much money now). But now I will be sure to buy it later.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: BigBoss
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 12:15
this is just sad

-------------
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 12:28
It's my understanding that it's only available to those who have pre-ordered the album anyway, but I could be wrong.

E

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:07
Weird DRM stuff, man. I dunno even how this works Confused DRM pisses off people like nothing else, and the torrent community is probably not the best thing to piss off. 

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:15
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Weird DRM stuff, man. I dunno even how this works Confused DRM pisses off people like nothing else, and the torrent community is probably not the best thing to piss off. 

OR

the torrent thieving community is probably not the best thing to piss off.

LOLLOLLOL

Why,  prey tell,  is it not a good idea to piss off the poor hard done by torrenters?

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:16
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Just finished it. Best album of the year (so far) without a doubt!

E

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

OR

the torrent thieving community is probably not the best thing to piss off.

LOLLOLLOL

Why,  prey tell,  is it not a good idea to piss off the poor hard done by torrenters?

Meh, take the advice if you want to, but I think DRM pisses off people. Personally, I cannot say, because this is the first encounter I've had with DRM. Confused One should be worried because I think people who would originally feel any amount of guilt by torrenting have that guilt completely replaced by anger at the attempt to control the media. Essentially, it is like asking the torrent community to do their worst. It's pure antagonism.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:27
^^NOW this is where Shawn's "sad" response truly belongs.

E

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:29
Let's not turn this into another of the endless debates on the rights and wrongs of sharing, DRM etc. Marillion have taken a commercial decision to allow the legal downloading of their album, let's allow them to do that.

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:33
Sorry Stonie, I didn't read it as advice, and why the dickens should I ?  Last time I saw Marilion was...oooh, 20 years ago, I certainly don't make decisions about DRM! !?!?!?

The "Torrent community"  are already doing their worst, have they no conscience? How do they sleep at night, and how do they reconcile theft?  Do they call it something else and hope God will be fooled? 
Do they turn the other cheek when musicians they once admired quit and walk away with nothing other than debt and unhappiness?  Do they even have a soul?  I bet they have real proud parents!

Unless you have permission from the  rights owner you are doing someone a serious wrong.

In  this case marillion seem to have waivered that choice, and said "Go ahead fellas, fill yer boots"  and you have the bare faced cheek to complain about the way it's served? 

sheeeeeesh!

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:36

Ok, Sorry Bob, If I  promise to add nothing more can my post stay?

FO rthe record, and I did say this to E-Dub off line earlier, I REALLY really hope this works for Marillion, I seriously do, I think their fan base is just about big enough for it to work with the publicity, for smaller bands it is of course another nail in the coffin!
Embarrassed

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:36
Actually, it's a sad state of affairs that it's even open for debate when the answer is glaringly clear; however, my focus will be on the quality of the music therein...because it is awesome.

E

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

however, my focus will be on the quality of the music therein...because it is awesome.

And it seems to be thus far! Tongue

One final word from me about the larger issue...I really don't see how making albums available on torrents is likely to stem any downloading. People download because it's free, that's the primary reason. The way to carry on as an artist in this stage of the internet is to gain a strong fanbase and fan loyalty, to rely more on live shows and other non-digitally shareable products, and to try as best as you can to not piss off the people who currently have the ability to take away your album revenue. And my perception is that Marillion is doing as best of a job as any band can be expected of doing, especially by creating incentives to own albums themselves and not just the music, with special editions and all that.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Ok, Sorry Bob, If I  promise to add nothing more can my post stay?

FO rthe record, and I did say this to E-Dub off line earlier, I REALLY really hope this works for Marillion, I seriously do, I think their fan base is just about big enough for it to work with the publicity, for smaller bands it is of course another nail in the coffin!
Embarrassed

P-C, look at it this way.  Now that I don't have to spend any money to get the new Marillion album which is free for download, I can use that extra money to purchase the new Pendragon album. Smile 

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 16:29
Thanks to ProgRob for the tip.  And thanks Marillion, too. ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I like what I've heard so far.  My personal policy is that if a band is nice enough to let me try their album for free, I will most certainly buy a hard copy when it becomes available if I like it and if I don't, I wont keep the tracks.  I paid Radiohead a small amount for their download, got the CD when it came out (worth it for the cover art).  Did the same with the new NIN.  And it looks like I'll do the same for this one.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

this is just sad

Do you mean that you're sad about Marillion making the album available for free download?  Not good for business.  You guys are getting hit in many ways (from bands making albums available for free, to bands selling albums online directly, to illegitimate downloading etc.).  If things keep up, you're hardly the only one in your biz who risks going from being a big boss to a little bass (as in the fish -- big fish, little fish).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Endless Wire
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 16:54
Can anyone give me a link to where I can download the album?  I'll be buying the album anyway, but I really want to go ahead and hear it!  I've never downloaded P2P (I love CD's!) so I'm skeptical because I don't want to accidently download a virus or something.

-------------

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 17:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

this is just sad

Do you mean that you're sad about Marillion making the album available for free download?  Not good for business.  You guys are getting hit in many ways (from bands making albums available for free, to bands selling albums online directly, to illegitimate downloading etc.).  If things keep up, you're hardly the only one in your biz who risks going from being a big boss to a little bass (as in the fish -- big fish, little fish).

What is sad is that the artist is basically saying they can not make money by selling a CD.  They have to resort to pushing ancillary merchandise through mass e-mailings to make a buck (or quid as it were). I see a lot more of this happening.  If it works out for Marillion, then great.  But it can't work for everyone.

I'm not a Marillion fan and only own Brave.  I would like to check it out if it is as good as Eric says, but don't know that I want a bunch of Marillion e-mails in my in box.  And if I don't buy the CD, should I feel guilty for downloading and not buying merchandise?

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 18:08
I'll buy the album anyway, as I did with "In Rainbows" , there 'll be extras on the official release , for sure.

-------------

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 18:22
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

this is just sad

What is sad is that the artist is basically saying they can not make money by selling a CD.  They have to resort to pushing ancillary merchandise through mass e-mailings to make a buck (or quid as it were). I see a lot more of this happening.  If it works out for Marillion, then great.  But it can't work for everyone.

I'm not a Marillion fan and only own Brave.  I would like to check it out if it is as good as Eric says, but don't know that I want a bunch of Marillion e-mails in my in box.  And if I don't buy the CD, should I feel guilty for downloading and not buying merchandise?

Of course not, this has nothing to do with quiltiness, it's just a matter of how you like your  collection to be.
Thounsands users are going to download it via torrents or elsewhere, anyways

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 19:41
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

It's my understanding that it's only available to those who have pre-ordered the album anyway, but I could be wrong.

E

There's the low quality (like there's any other type!) MP3 version, the link for which was given to pre-orderers in the special email message last night.

Then there's the DRM-encumbered WMAs that are going to be seeded to the torrent networks.

That's the way I understand it.

I think the DRM move is a really, really bad one -- it will probably really annoy the torrenters. Let's hope it is benign and doesn't end up anything resembling a repeat of the Sony rootkit fiasco -- that would be seriously bad news for Marillion and their reputation.

-------------
I ljuset från min lykta
drömmar som har slocknat

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 21:47
OK folks, let's take a look at a little of the real world (as lifted from Bob Lefsetz' newsletter with full attribution etc)

"From: Charles Kennedy
Subject: Can't even GIVE it away

Hey Bob

I run Invisible Hands Music, London indie label, home of Thomas Dolby, (ex Strangler) Hugh Cornwell and the (reformed with new singer) Jam.

Our roster has included various other artists, and we had a stock clearout the other day, put boxes of old stock on the pavement with various charming variations of "Take me, I'm free" written on. The CDs were mostly by a semi-well known Britpop band, six Top 40 singles in their heyday. And in any case, great packaging, titles etc. I could watch out the office window  (in a hip street, 120,000 rock n roll-friendly visitors each day of every weekend) how people reacted to the giveaway. The vast majority of people who stopped would pick up a CD, look at it, flip it over, look at it a bit more, then put it back. Even in the one street in Europe most devoted to the pursuit of the rock n roll dream, you literally can't give away the physical product any more. Even though, as an indie label, I rely on shipping physical product, I couldn't help giggle at the idiots at the majors who think there's a future in selling recorded music, esp in CD form. It's laughable. They should put a few boxes of one of their great new bands out on the street and see how the public feel about their crappy bands."

OK now, back to reality ?

P.S. Here another good one from the same newsletter (again with full attribution)

"From: Jeffrey Campagna
Subject: RE: Not Selling On iTunes

Hi Bob,

I know this is of little importance in the major scheme of things.

In regards to ...
Isn't this how the labels got in trouble to begin with?  By making customers buy an entire, overpriced CD to get the single, the only track they wanted, oftentimes the only good track on the album?

I would say this also...

I know you consider vinyl a zit on the ass of the business or whatever you called it.  But you also mentioned yesterday how the vinyl revival is perpetrated by dying brick and mortar indie stores.

Being one who sells to, amongst others, brick and mortar stores I see it as the opposite. I constantly hear folks complaining how the majors are trying to push vinyl as if records had disappeared off the face of the earth. Slowly raising the prices to exorbitant amounts at the same time. Trying to create this wave of hysteria how vinyl "is back" and kids are learning to love it.

Having also worked in small indie new/used record stores I also relate to the fact that vinyl never "went away" in the indie store world. Kids have constantly been buying records.

So when you start seeing articles about the "vinyl is back" wave it all ties back to some major label pr idiot trying to push product in the NY Times. Trying to grab what last vestige of cash they can pillage from their catalog at a ridiculously over inflated price under the auspices of collectability.  I feel bad for kids spending $19.99-$34.99 for the same records they can still buy in a used record store for $3.99. Soon enough though they'll discover the new/used indie stores and realize the majors are still trying to take as much money out of their pocket as they can."

P.P.S. - I'm in Spin-It records once a week checking out the new arrivals bin.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 22:04
Well, I'm in the process of putting it on a CD so I can listen to it on the way to and from work for a few days.  I will still buy a regular hard copy.  Their last release was a bit overshadowed by other stuff coming out at the time but I think they are having better timing this year for me at least.  Just digging in. Big%20smile

Is there any reason why this album hasn't been posted yet?  I'll do it.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: September 10 2008 at 22:51

If this is good, I'm definitely going to buy a copy, and I am really excited for this.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 04:07
For the person who said they just wanted to try out the music and didnt want to be bombarded with emails from Marillion.  You can do that with the wma file - it has a popup video attached, but you can still hear all the music on your computer.  However you cannot burn the track elsewhere.

Only if you like the music, and want a burnable mp3 copy, do you have to repsond to the popup window with your email address - then you can get the album for free in burnable form.

I would also note that Marillion do not bombard people with emails - one every couple of mnonths - hell Amazon are much worse!

Posted By: progmetalhead
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 04:15

For the person who said they just wanted to try out the music and didnt want to be bombarded with emails from Marillion.  You can do that with the wma file - it has a popup video attached, but you can still hear all the music on your computer.  However you cannot burn the track elsewhere.

Only if you like the music, and want a burnable mp3 copy, do you have to repsond to the popup window with your email address - then you can get the album for free in burnable form.

I would also note that Marillion do not bombard people with emails - one every couple of mnonths - hell Amazon are much worse!

There's always the junk email folder! Tongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112" rel="nofollow - http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Posted By: ProgRobUK
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 04:58
Originally posted by Jorvik Jorvik wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I'm with you on that one.

Each successive album seems to generate more and more hyperbole from certain fans. For me, Anoraknophobia is the best thing they've done in recent years and Marbles was so-so, with about one CD's worth of really decent music.

I wasn't at all impressed with Somewhere Else, although I'll admit I've not listened to it a huge amount (there wasn't enough to make me want to listen to it more or at least give it the benefit of the doubt) and I've not listened to it for a while. Hell, I'm not listened to any Marillion in a while; I think I need to start gearing up for the new release and listen to a load and get in the right frame of mind.

I thought Marbles was a masterpiece, but have to agree about Somewhere Else.  It's good to hear that those that have downloaded the new one think it sounds strong.

BTW, is the downloaded album the same as the CD release?  The CD release is a double disc, is the download a 'double'?

Cheers,
Rob

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 06:42
It's the double.You really can hear the limitations of an MP3 file and sure the actual CD will sound a ton better, but it's passable.

I loaded it up on my iPod and took it on my walk yesterday and am even more psyched about the new album. It was pricey, but SO worth it. Great, great album.

E

-------------

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 07:38

I hadn't preordered it as of yet (will do next week) but I still downloaded the MP3 for nothing. You have to give your e-mail address to get access to either an MP3 file OR/AND a WMA file IF you file-share/torrent, with the request that only the WMA files are torrented. I don't even know how to torrent so I stuck with the MP3. Those who had pre-ordered were contacted via e-mail so that they had the opportunity before anyone else. I can live with the odd e-mail from the band and in any case I've bought from the band before (via postal order, though).

I'll still be buying the album as I want it in high quality, it's just a fill-in until I get the album.

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 15:04
I attempted to post the album yesterday and for some reason it wouldn't let me.  Gave up.

By the way I did not have to give up my e-mail address.  Not that I would mind.  I get so much junk in my e-mail (had the address for more years than I can count) it's nice to get junk e-mail you actually like. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 16:12
I think the reason they're asking for email addresses and tracking your location is so they have an idea of the more popular areas to tour (presumbly in 2010, considering that they're booked for the next two years). Hopefully this means we'll finally get some US dates. hell, I'd drive as far as Chicago or New York to see Marillion.

As Mark Kelly stated himself, most bands with record deals don't get much money from album sales anyway. It's a somewhat different scenario for Marillion, but at least this way they can find the more popular areas to play shows.

I haven't preordered the album (the preorder costs the equivalent of 60 American Dollars which I simply do not have), but I will be buying it when it comes out. And I really hope the band comes to the States eventually, 'cause I'd love to see them and support them.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 16:24

this is just sad

Yes, that is sad.  Bands have been forced to adapt new strategies -- some have fared much better than others in this climate.  With many bands, it is concerts where they make their living, of course.  Even before, many were hard done by as they got a small cut of the record sales (the ones on radio flourished, not just because of publicity that led to record sales, but royalties).  In some ways, things have improved for  bands.  The internet has meant that they could be better-known, and more chance for concerts, and they could sell CDs directly online (or work with distributors like CD Baby which are very fair).  And it has become cheaper to produce quality music for CDs with new technology

It's even harder, though, for companies like BigBoss's to adapt (turn a profit) than many bands these days.  Many middle-men (distributors between the consumer and band) are having a hard time.  BigBoss, of course, took hard measures by going after the bloggers threatening legal action to protect his livelihood.  This is something that bands would be much more reluctant to do as they don't wish to upset the community, or alienate people -- don't want to seem like a big bad bully (public image)  -- note how many bands publicly say that art is more important than commerce and they're just happy that their art is being heard?  I'm sure this is true in quite a few cases, but what band that loves what they do wouldn't like to be able to earn a living at it, thereby being able to devote themselves to their art without having to bus tables or whatever during the day).  And it's not just BigBoss and such people, distributors and record companies, and bands that suffer, but also employees of people such as BigBoss -- yes, the LittlePeople.  Many livelihoods are at stake.  Some embrace the new realities, especially with direct sales of CDs, thinking it will bring down costs, but when it's free people don't want to buy (unless it's free in poor quality).  That said, the buying of mp3s is doing well -- it's affordable, and it's been clear that digital distribution is the way to go for many years (too often that distribution is P2P, and not sales, though).  I thought many years ago that much as it works for TV (advertising pays for the programs) that streaming "radio-on-demand" with ads could help bands.  Choose songs, ads come with it.  Of course such crass commercialism does not lend itself well to art, in a way.

But, as always the bread and butter of a great many bands (well, as always, many bands, even very good ones, can't make a living with music) is concerts (and CD sales at concerts help).  Too many good bands I knew found themselves playing dingy clubs/ bars in return for free beer - but they sure loved their beer, but the music got sloppier the more beer they drank... And so some not only couldn't make money at their craft, but became alcoholic welfare recipients).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 16:25

Harry, I assume that you are aware of them having a Marillionfest in Montreal next year (at least I thought that was what I had heard).  That isn't too far to travel, although it does require going to a foreign country where French is predominantly spoke. 

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 16:59
I thought it was in Toronto. Anyway, that would require getting The Husband a passport, finding my passport (and hoping it hasn't expired), paying for plane tickets and a hotel, and the tickets themselves... all in all it would cost us over $1000.

I love Marillion, but in order to come up with that kind of money I'd have to make a deal with a crooked lone shark and have my legs broken the day before the show. It'd be much less painful to wait for them to come to a closer venue. And if enough people in major US cities download the new album, they might decide to come to the US in a couple of years.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 17:08
Logan, always like your insight.  I just don't know how most of the zillions of bands out there can put their time, effort and love into making recordings and see nothing come from it monetarily.  Not all bands can tour and many that do play to small crowds and are lucky to cover expenses.  I'm a guy that thinks in terms of supply and demand and turning a profit or getting out of the game.  I know music transcends that thinking in certain ways and I am glad to see the old established ways are being turned on their ear.  Adapt or die.  I wish Marillion luck in their effort to move the process along for the greater good as well as their own. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 17:08

Since I was on the Marillion website for other things I checked and it is in Montreal, April 3-5.  But either way the same logistics apply. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 17:13
I would suspect that Marillion's biggest hope is that they will be discovered by the internet generation and gain fame and fortune through the word of mouth that comes from the news of a band offering their album for free.  Hopefully, it will help increase concert revenue and demand, and possibly revenue and demand for previous releases.  But again I suppose that most of those are already available illegally so they wouldn't gain much there.  Possibly, there is revenue involved in website traffic.  I don't know how exactly how that works, and how similar that would be to PA's situation where the revenues may help to cover the cost of the website but not enough to get rich off of.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 17:26
Even if they were to expand their fan base and sell more of their back catalog in CD format, would they get any of that money?  Laser's Edge got a bunch of their repressings and have been selling them for 13 or 14 bucks.  I would be interested if the band get a cut. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 17:38

Good question.  They probably get a better cut from what they sell at their own site through Racket Records. 

I think that Radiohead got a lot of free press through their release.  Whether Marillion will or not is another story.  They have a loyal following but it isn't nearly as large as Radiohead.  But being a free download maybe they would show up on charts as a top weekly/monthly download.  That would at least generate interest for others and if they like it they will tell their friends who will tell their friends.  Maybe if the numbers are large enough, stadiums/arenas/concert promoters will notice and ask them to come to different locations where maybe new demand has been developed.  Radios will notice and start playing the song or songs and they can maybe generate some royalties that way.  In an ideal world this is what could happen.  Unfortunately, the flipside, is all of their loyal fans that they could count on to purchase the album could now download it for free and they would lose all those revenues too.  Probably, many pre-ordered and many want to own the physical CD, but there will be those that won't look a gift horse in the mouth either.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

hey might decide to come to the US in a couple of years.

I hope, but wasn't about to take a chance on that. I figure Montreal will be my best chance to see them, so I'm off to meet up with some friends from the old Opium Den forum. 3 shows in 3 days. Now THAT'S cool! I just hope they don't do an all covers show like the last one.

E

-------------

Posted By: FranMuzak
Date Posted: September 11 2008 at 20:24
I also pre-ordered the CD, and i am really tempt to download it before i get the album, but i'm going to take Marillion's advise on their web site to wait to listen the actual CD for the first time and not spoil the impression of the quality of the album listening to a lesser audio sharpness. I rather wait.

Date Posted: September 12 2008 at 06:58

Even if they were to expand their fan base and sell more of their back catalog in CD format, would they get any of that money?  Laser's Edge got a bunch of their repressings and have been selling them for 13 or 14 bucks.  I would be interested if the band get a cut. 

The band own all the rights to their last 3 albums (Anoraknophobia, Marbles and Somewhere Else), so that would be 100% profit on back catalogue.  They had a record company for the 3 albums before but maintained a major stake in the music.  Their first 8 albums were made with EMI, and so they get less return (although much more return if the fans buy direct from them).

I think the reasons the model may work for Marillion are that

a) they covered their costs with the pre-order
b) they have a big enough back catalogue, which they own quite a large amount of
c) they tour fairly large venues (ca. 1000 covers) and can sell plenty of merchandise

Date Posted: September 12 2008 at 08:38
Originally posted by FranMuzak FranMuzak wrote:

I also pre-ordered the CD, and i am really tempt to download it before i get the album, but i'm going to take Marillion's advise on their web site to wait to listen the actual CD for the first time and not spoil the impression of the quality of the album listening to a lesser audio sharpness. I rather wait.

Speaking personally, the quality of the music outweighs the quality of the MP3.  I'll be highly and pleasantly surprised if the audio quality of the CD is dramatically better than the download. 

Give it a try, trust me, you won't hurt yourself. LOL

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 18:57
I'll download it just to make sure it's not an insult to Marillion (aka crap), but I'll probably end up buying anyway if it's decent. I hate not having the case and liner notes.LOL

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 19:32
I Bought it (mp3 download 320 bit) today through MusicGlue.com . Paid 4CAD plus service charge for $5 something. I figure they get more that way then from the physical CD royalty.
I've also bought the new DOA album for $7 last week through the Sudden Death Records website. Same idea, but a set price - $7 something service fee included for a 14 song album.
Point - mp3 sales through official download sites, at a reasonable price will attract more than the avid fan. I am still getting into Hogarth era Marillion. So far, I have Marbles and Brave. But I hope they eventually put the entire back catalogue out for sale this way.
You know, some people would rather pay than steal if they could get it at a reasonable price. And please , $19 for the various middlemen, and $1 for the band is not reasonable.
If Marillion gets 25,000 others doing like me, they've grossed $100 000. Would they get the same from worldwide sales of 25 000 CDs ? I even posted a question at Marillion.com asking if my $4 was more than their per CD royalty rate.
The future is tomorrow. You have to live today.

P.S. music-wise ... so far so good. And the music is good.. Can't understand the complaints about the sound quality.   Hogarth's voice always reminds me of Tim Finn, and most things Finn are fine by me.Except when the Finns win the World Hockey championship LOL

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk