Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52336
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 17:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PA's Battle to Stardom A13: Ayreon v. Le Orme
Posted By: MovingPictures07
Subject: PA's Battle to Stardom A13: Ayreon v. Le Orme
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 16:25
This one is definitely apples and oranges. A sci-fi themed progressive metal outlet for Danish genius Arjen Lucassen and one of the three major Italian Symphonic Progressive bands that still has released good material as of late.

Which one suits your tastes more and why?

Please: If you are not familiar with one or both of the band's material, I urge that you use the links provided and at least listen to the samples on their respective pages (or Youtube if the particular band has no online streaming).

Ayreon's PA page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=34 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=34
Le Orme's PA page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=278 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=278

As always, discussions are encouraged.

Recap:
Round 1
A1:  Mahavishnu Orchestra v. Marillion      (24-28)
A2:  Gong v. Area    (18-19)
A3:  Emerson, Lake and Palmer v. The Flower Kings      (22-14)
A4:  The Residents v. Tangerine Dream    (12-15)
A5:  Can v. Dream Theater    (42-37)
A6:  Echolyn v. Opeth    (11-18)
A7:  Van der Graaf Generator v. The Mars Volta    (54-18)
A8:  Samla Mammas Manna v. Radiohead      (27-26)
A9:  Rush v. Tool    (55-21)
A10: Meshuggah v. Kayo Dot     (15-21)
A11: Henry Cow v. Amon Duul II      (17-12)
A12: Soft Machine v. Magma      (23-25)

A1: forum_posts.asp?TID=51423&PN=2 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51423&PN=2
A2: forum_posts.asp?TID=51492&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51492&PN=1
A3: forum_posts.asp?TID=51567&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51567&PN=1
A4: forum_posts.asp?TID=51630&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51630&PN=1
A5: forum_posts.asp?TID=51711&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51711&PN=1
A6: forum_posts.asp?TID=51778 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51778
A7: forum_posts.asp?TID=51855 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51855
A8: forum_posts.asp?TID=51928&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51928&PN=1
A9: forum_posts.asp?TID=52011 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52011
A10: forum_posts.asp?TID=52091 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52091
A11: forum_posts.asp?TID=52158&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52158&PN=1
A12: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52246 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52246

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 16:38
Ayreon's not really my thing, but I really loved Le Orme -- it was the band that first got me into Italian Prog, methinks.  Contrappunti is my particular favourite Le Orme album (I'm in the minority there).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

This one is definitely apples and oranges. A sci-fi themed progressive metal outlet for Danish genius Arjen Lucassen and one of the three major Italian Symphonic Progressive bands that still has released good material as of late....

Le Orme's oft considered best album, Felona e Sorona, also has a sort of sci-fi-ish theme too.

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Ayreon's not really my thing, but I really loved Le Orme -- it was the band that first got me into Italian Prog, methinks.  Contrappunti is my particular favourite Le Orme album (I'm in the minority there).

Contrappunti is one of the few I still haven't heard that I've been wanting to.

I quite like both bands, so it's hard for me to choose, despite how different they are.

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:19

This one is definitely apples and oranges. A sci-fi themed progressive metal outlet for Danish genius Arjen Lucassen and one of the three major Italian Symphonic Progressive bands that still has released good material as of late....

Le Orme's oft considered best album, Felona e Sorona, also has a sort of sci-fi-ish theme too.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for the mentioning! I guess there is something both bands have in common then (besides heavy use of keyboards, even if the keyboards are way different). Shocked

That is probably my favorite Le Orme album of the ones I've heard.

-------------

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:28
I like me some Le Orme from time to time, but I love the enormous number of guest vocals that Lucassen always manages to bring together. Ayreon it is.

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:44
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

I like me some Le Orme from time to time, but I love the enormous number of guest vocals that Lucassen always manages to bring together. Ayreon it is.

Why am I not surprised?

It's all because of Akerfeldt and Labrie, isn't it? Tongue

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:54
If Arjen Lucassen is Danish then you may call me Søren....Wink

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:57
I liked Ayreon for a couple of months, but I think the novelty wore off. The songs [generally] are really dull, despite the cool concept. Le Orme bores me too. However, I love "L'Equilibrio." That song beats the entire Ayreon discography for me.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Posted By: AlexUC
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 17:59
Ayreon never clicked me. Le Orme is nice (they have some extremely disgusting albums too). Let's go there.

BTW, Lucassen is from the Netherlands

-------------
This is not my beautiful house...

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 18:26
ah, this poll isn't quite as balanced as the previous ones. anyone over Ayreon in any case, but Le Orme's Contrapuntti has some groovy moments. =)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:28
As a vote of protest against the machiavelic elimination of Soft Machine because of a biased referree and his assistants, i abstain to voteLOLLOLWink until further notice!Ouch

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:34
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

As a vote of protest against the machiavelic elimination of Soft Machine because of a biased referree and his assistants, i abstain to voteLOLLOLWink until further notice!Ouch

Are you serious? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:37

Are you serious? LOL

Smiling, always smilingLOL

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:38

Are you serious? LOL

Smiling, always smilingLOL

Your loss. LOL

Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:41
Not a loss at all................now drowning my despair with

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:42
Are you going to post that in every Battle to Stardom poll now? LOL

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 19:49
Pour me some Orme, baby

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:49

If you like it, Alex ...i can , i have more this kind....will surely drive more traffic to your pollsLOLWink

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 20:53

If you like it, Alex ...i can , i have more this kind....will surely drive more traffic to your pollsLOLWink

I don't care what you do; you can post what you want.

I just find your protest amusing. LOL

Wink

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:06
protest, protest , why not revolt ? LOL  Vive la Revolution and bring back Robespierre to settle matters !

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

protest, protest , why not revolt ? LOL  Vive la Revolution and bring back Robespierre to settle matters !

What is there to revolt against? LOL

-------------

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:44
Oh lord - poor Ayreon. I vote Ayreon, but I see this being a very one-sided match.

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:45
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Oh lord - poor Ayreon. I vote Ayreon, but I see this being a very one-sided match.

I hope not. Ouch

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:45
No!!!!!!!! The softs had lost

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:48
Yes! Magma pulled through!

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:48
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Yes! Magma pulled through!

I was surprised. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:53
Really? The Kobaians have such a stranglehold on these forums that I thought the apocalypse would occur if they didn't win

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:55

Really? The Kobaians have such a stranglehold on these forums that I thought the apocalypse would occur if they didn't win

The Softs were very strong too though. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 21:58

No more understimation of Magma and his likes.We have to accept that they are bigger than ELP pink floyd and Yes toghether.

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:14
But not Rush

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:16

Why am I not surprised?

It's all because of Akerfeldt and Labrie, isn't it? Tongue

How dare you assume I'm biased!Angry

<<
>>

...Yeah, pretty much...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:18

I agree. But maybe this can drum up some more Ayreon votes:

C'mon people! There isn't a whole lot more awesome than that!LOL

-------------

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:21
easy for me, Le Orme, chck my reviewsWink

-------------

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:22
i'm beginning that i think that this poll is going to have much in common with the NFL giants seahawks gameWink
Giants= Le Orme

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:22
Still protesting.....no vote yetLOL

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:24

Soo.... awesome.... *head explodes* LOL

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:24

Who is he??? the ghost of Richard Wright???TongueWink

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:26
Maybe you have to fight aliens when you reach the dark side of the moon?

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:28
As much as The Human Equation is one of my favourite albums, this is an EASY choice....Le Orme hands down!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:49

Who is he??? the ghost of Richard Wright???TongueWink

No! you are giving Ajlen Luccasen some ideas for his next cheese album:

"The man with the magic cellphone on his quest across the Universe for Valhalla" (part 1 of 50)

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 10:58
  i like Le Orme and enjoy their releases since 1978 , specially  Felona e Sonora , But this doesn't mean Ayreon are bad , they also have good stuff , but Le Orme deserves my vote in this poll .
     also , i was really surprised by the loss of two giants in previous polls , Gong and Soft Machine will make it surely in future polls . they deserves more attention from the new generation of proggers ///

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:02
Originally posted by trackstoni trackstoni wrote:

i like Le Orme and enjoy their releases since 1978 , specially  Felona e Sonora , But this doesn't mean Ayreon are bad , they also have good stuff , but Le Orme deserves my vote in this poll .
     also , i was really surprised by the loss of two giants in previous polls , Gong and Soft Machine will make it surely in future polls . they deserves more attention from the new generation of proggers ///

Agreed! Well said!Clap

Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:32

Agreed! Well said!Clap

New generation of proggers?? Guys, SM and Gong lost against Magma and Area. I don't think the "new generation of proggers" took this decision.

These two battles has been between classic giants, and for me, SM vrs Magma has been the most interesting WinkWink Luckily my two choices were the winners StarStar

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:38
Originally posted by AlexUC AlexUC wrote:

Agreed! Well said!Clap

New generation of proggers?? Guys, SM and Gong lost against Magma and Area. I don't think the "new generation of proggers" took this decision.

These two battles has been between classic giants, and for me, SM vrs Magma has been the most interesting WinkWink Luckily my two choices were the winners StarStar

Don't worry about it. They're just sore losers.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:46
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

No! you are giving Ajlen Luccasen some ideas for his next cheese album:

"The man with the magic cellphone on his quest across the Universe for Valhalla" (part 1 of 50)

LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 11:58

Genesis - Orme  Londra 1973

Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutheford e Steve Hachett (Genesis)

Tony Pagliuca, Aldo Tagliapietra e Miky Dei Rossi (Le Orme)

Le Orme: secondo "disco d'Oro" per "Felona e Sorona" / 1973

Le Orme  (durante la turnee) Londra 1973

Miky Dei Rossi, Tony Pagliuca e Aldo Tagliapietra

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 15:06
I cant believe how close the results are, the cheese fest of Ayreon agains the incredible Le Orme!

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 04:08
  re my upper post concerning Soft Machine & Gong . I just have a very simple question addressed to Alex .
 how many albums do yu have for these two bands , and by the way , do you know them all ?
  my answer will depend on yurs  my friend . and congractulations for the luck that yu deserve this time , but keep it quiet and enjoy the music , Sm & Gong releases has been made for the next generations , not ours for sure , and Then , they 'll win these polls easily ///////////////////////////////////

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 04:17
le orme for me! the human equation is the only album of ayreon's i can get into and then it has its... moments. and labrie. Ouch
le orme it is!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 10:55

re my upper post concerning Soft Machine & Gong . I just have a very simple question addressed to Alex .
 how many albums do yu have for these two bands , and by the way , do you know them all ?
  my answer will depend on yurs  my friend . and congractulations for the luck that yu deserve this time , but keep it quiet and enjoy the music , Sm & Gong releases has been made for the next generations , not ours for sure , and Then , they 'll win these polls easily ///////////////////////////////////

Hi trackstoni,

Maybe you didn't catch my point Embarrassed

I love the four mentioned bands and I think all of them are superb bands, very difficult to choose (Gong, SM, Magma, Area, however, personally, I'm more with Magma and Area, specially with Magma Big%20smile). I don't know why you want to know this, but here's the answer to your question. I don't have all the Gong discog (of course), I own and listen regularly the Radio Gnome trilogy (angel's egg and you my fav), Shamal, Gazeuse and Expresso 2, but I must admit the psych ride is not my cup of tea... Regarding SM, I own the first 5 albums and bundles, and some additional mp3 Embarrassed Could never penetrate into second, the rest are amazing albums to my ears (3 and 4 specially). However, I think I prefer the Wyatt solo work Shocked

My point is simple (again) I don't think the new generations would choose Magma and Area instead of Soft Machine and Gong. This is not the case. If the battles had been between, let's say, Porcupine Tree vrs Soft Machine, or Dream Theater vrs Gong, I think your point would be valid.

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 11:07
Eh, Ayreon.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 13:10

Hi trackstoni,

I love the four mentioned bands and I think all of them are superb bands, very difficult to choose (Gong, SM, Magma, Area, however, personally, I'm more with Magma and Area, specially with Magma Big%20smile). I don't know why you want to know this, but here's the answer to your question. I don't have all the Gong discog (of course), I own and listen regularly the Radio Gnome trilogy (angel's egg and you my fav), Shamal, Gazeuse and Expresso 2, but I must admit the psych ride is not my cup of tea... Regarding SM, I own the first 5 albums and bundles, and some additional mp3 Embarrassed Could never penetrate into second, the rest are amazing albums to my ears (3 and 4 specially). However, I think I prefer the Wyatt solo work Shocked

My point is simple (again) I don't think the new generations would choose Magma and Area instead of Soft Machine and Gong. This is not the case. If the battles had been between, let's say, Porcupine Tree vrs Soft Machine, or Dream Theater vrs Gong, I think your point would be valid.

Sorry to butt in on the dialogue, but your point was clear, Alex.  Incidentally, I also voted Magma and Area over The Soft Machine and Gong despite loving all of those bands.  It was a choice between favourite bands.  I must admit that I rather wish that that Gong and TSF had been put against other bands, say, Spock's Beard and Torman Maxt, that would have made the voting a total no-brainer for me; however, this made it more interesting, especially because those who love Magma and Area commonly love The Soft Machine and Gong (more-so I think than th other way around, but commonly they share the same audience).

I generally prefer Wyatt's solo work too -- big fan of Wyatt, and I have all of his solo albums (at least studio albums), as well as many albums featuring him -- such as News From Babel.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 13:33

Hi trackstoni,

Sorry to butt in on the dialogue, but your point was clear, Alex.  Incidentally, I also voted Magma and Area over The Soft Machine and Gong despite loving all of those bands.  It was a choice between favourite bands.  I must admit that I rather wish that that Gong and TSF had been put against other bands, say, Spock's Beard and Torman Maxt, that would have made the voting a total no-brainer for me; however, this made it more interesting, especially because those who love Magma and Area commonly love The Soft Machine and Gong (more-so I think than th other way around, but commonly they share the same audience).

I generally prefer Wyatt's solo work too -- big fan of Wyatt, and I have all of his solo albums (at least studio albums), as well as many albums featuring him -- such as News From Babel.

Thanks Logan Thumbs%20Up

Well, I don't have all the Wyatt albums Unhappy, but I'm on a mission to acquire them (3 left, and Animals which is impossible to find here). The last I've owned is Dondestan, seems to me very charming and personal (a sort of Rock Bottom maybe??) but I really need some spins more, by now, I see good future with Dondestan Big%20smile. I can't stop being impressed by the creativity and amazing voice RW has. Do you have the Animals Film album?? I wonder how it sounds... Smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 16:27
Oops, Alex.  Embarrassed  I forgot that in fact I don't have all of his studio albums.  I don't have that or Nothing Can Stop Us.  LOL  It seem that unintentionally, nothing could stop me from not telling the truth, or exaggerating my claim to Wyatt discography completest greatness.  Still, I'm pretty awesome when it comes to my too incomplete Wyatt collection. LOL  

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 16:52

Oops, Alex.  Embarrassed  I forgot that in fact I don't have all of his studio albums.  I don't have that or Nothing Can Stop Us.  LOL  It seem that unintentionally, nothing could stop me from not telling the truth, or exaggerating my claim to Wyatt discography completest greatness.  Still, I'm pretty awesome when it comes to my too incomplete Wyatt collection. LOL  

Well, in that case I'm 2 albums ahead of you, sorry LOLLOL

I don't have nothing can stop us, animals film, old rottenhat and comicopera Embarrassed I think I can find the last two, but the first two are really  difficult... at least in my country Angry

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 22:09
C'mon. I want to see some more Ayreon voters! I'm sure that there's some more people who can see through the cheese.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2008 at 23:11

I agree. But maybe this can drum up some more Ayreon votes:C'mon people! There isn't a whole lot more awesome than that!LOL

Now Ayreon is just 3 votes near Le Orme we underestimated the cosmic power of the cellphone of eternity!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2008 at 00:18
We almost forgot. it was a LE ORME versus Ayreon poll..............thought it was a Robert Wyatt threadLOLLOLWink......not that it's disturbing me!LOL

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: October 08 2008 at 03:17
I'll take classic symphonic prog over prog metal any day.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Posted By: PhuncleSam
Date Posted: July 29 2009 at 15:28
I'm betting either rush or elp wins

-------------
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk