Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52682
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 17:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite cuisine...
Posted By: aapatsos
Subject: Favourite cuisine...
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 17:55
(The list is not exhaustive, but these were the options that came into mind)

As you all know, food is one of the most important things in life...LOL
Being in the UK currently, I am trying all sorts of different foods and tastes
around the world...
Most of them are highly interesting...LOL

So which one do you prefer? For me, the option is Mediterranean, as I come from
Greece, and nothing tastes as good as home food...

Ready your forks...

Replies:
Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 18:00
Italian!

Would that be Mediterranean or Other European?

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 18:04
Mexican, then Italian, then Chinese.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Italian!

Mediterranean I guess, I thought I should include Italian as a separate one Ermm

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 18:18
What about middle-eastern?

I choose Middle east or Indian.

Approve

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 18:32
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

What about middle-eastern?

I choose Middle east or Indian.

Approve

That would be other-Asian... good choice...

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 19:07
Something about a nice Indian curry that warms my soul.

E

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 19:13
Italian should definitely have been on the list; the Italian cuisine is generally believed to be one of the best in the world (among a few others that were named). Italian cuisine is a lot more than just pizza and spaghetti. do I really need to name famous culinary creations like Tournedos Rossini, Saltimbocca, Carpaggio, Osso Buco or Tira Mi Su, to name but a few?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 19:22
Nothing beats ''une bavette a l'echalotte'' ou un ''ris de veau'' et un ''cassoulet'' with of course a good glass of Pommard or Pomerol.....Just ask Mr TszirsmayThumbs UpWink
...not to forget a''foie gras'' or a ''magret de canard aux cepes''

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 19:29
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Italian!

Mediterranean I guess, I thought I should include Italian as a separate one Ermm

Do it next time - and make Spanish and Greek separate ones as well then. Mediterranean is too big a mixture for a poll like this. I had to pick it now, for Italian. Luckily Spanish comes second for me. Wink

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 20:24
Not sounding chauvinist but I really do prefer the several cuisines from my own country. Including the adaptation made in the food borrowed from everywhere (always with a local flavor here)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Brazil - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Brazil

The wiki section is greatly incomplete but it's a good start for beginners. You may find more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilian_dishes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilian_dishes

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 20:38

Having been in the restaurant business for a quarter century , I can say there are some terrible chefs in every kitchen (hahaha) Obviously one can eat very well in Italy and France as  a rule . In England , great ethnic cuisines but seriously, British cuisine (?) . Hungarian cooking is very tasty, spicy, paprika, sourcream everywhere. Swiss food is tasty as well.  Thai, Korean, Japanese and real , I repeat, REAL, Chinese can be extremely pleasing .

But in the end, the "Francais" just have too much talent, turning a simple bavette into a masterstroke, onglet with chives, generally game is phenomenal (ask Obelix) , a country with so many wines, cheeses, pastries and they use every piece of butchering. Alllez les Bleus!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: splyu
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 20:39
Chinese for food, German for beer. Wink

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 20:49
which reminds me of an old heaven / hell joke: "in heaven the cook is French, the policeman English, the car mechanic German, the clerk Swiss and the lover Italian. in hell the cook is English, the policeman German, the car mechanic French, the clerk Italian and the lover Swiss"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 21:40
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

which reminds me of an old heaven / hell joke: "in heaven the cook is French, the policeman English, the car mechanic German, the clerk Swiss and the lover Italian. in hell the cook is English, the policeman German, the car mechanic French, the clerk Italian and the lover Swiss"

LOLLOL

Good one.

As for the poll...Italian.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 21:58
I have an old Mao era  Chinese variation : in heaven the cook is chinese, the house is  english  , the salary is american and the wife is Japanese , in hell the cook is english, the house is japanese , the salary is chinese and the wife is american.   Not bad, eh!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

but seriously, British cuisine (?) .

Absolutely!  Roasted marrow, Stilton, Yorkshire pudding, fish&chips, shepherd's pie..  come on!

for me it's too hard to choose.. I love good Indian, but give me a Vietnamese noodle bowl or some American BBQ and I'm a happy man

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Absolutely!  Roasted marrow, Stilton, Yorkshire pudding, fish&chips, shepherd's pie..  come on!

for me it's too hard to choose.. I love good Indian, but give me a Vietnamese noodle bowl or some American BBQ and I'm a happy man

I agree on the Pho Tai and a good Texas cookout . But shperd's pie (I make a spicy version to die for BTW ), Fish and chips is not haute cuisine , sorry , guv but Albion has a lot to drool about but a cookbook , Harry Potter version maybe. LOLWinkEmbarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:10

I agree on the Pho Tai and a good Texas cookout . But shperd's pie (I make a spicy version to die for BTW ), Fish and chips is not haute cuisine

neither is borscht or piroshki but I'll eat it till I collapse in a heap of bloated humanity

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:14
well, OK , tastes are not disputable I guess, but if I take you to Claude's place in Montreal, you will be converted forever, ask febus , he knows his food and wine and women and prog and.....

As for the Scots, haggis is something , let me tell you LOLWink

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:26

I like Thai, Indian, Italian and Mexican but I voted BRITISH. Someone had to, if only to recognise the sheer culinary magnificence of Fish and Chips (preferably eaten at the seaside and subtly enhanced with ketchup, vinegar and mushy peas.).

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:27
mushy peas, hmmmmm SOUNDS good Cool

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:36
This thread is getting scaryShockedLOL

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:37
Mushy peas are essential to the Fish and Chips experience - ideally they need to be a bit minty....

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:40
Indian, but I'll pretty much eat anything - if you saw me you'd know that's true.  Embarrassed

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

This thread is getting scaryShockedLOL

Pity them , for they do not understand,  LOLShocked    Minty, mushy, green peas, with ketchup and vinegar as condiment for the battered haddock, and of course somehow salvaged with Belgian french fries. Confused  We are doomed to starve Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:45
not doomed till someone mentions poutine 

..and a shout out to Moroccan

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:49

not doomed till someone mentions poutine 

..and a shout out to Moroccan

Poutine is gruesome , spongyheavy -fat laden fries smothered in often packaged gravy with nary a spice in sight with curds of spongy cheese. This is not food , its edible crap.Ouch  Don't get me going on Moroccan, the ex was from there and I am still expiating the poison (hahaha) . Actually, of all the North African cuisines, it is by FAR the tastiest .  

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Indian, but I'll pretty much eat anything - if you saw me you'd know that's true.  Embarrassed

What do you mean?? i had always imagine you as a tall skinny, long haired smiling guywearing glasses like the guy in your fotosignature...i thought was youLOLLOLWink

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 23:01

What do you mean?? i had always imagine you as a tall skinny, long haired smiling guywearing glasses like the guy in your fotosignature...i thought was youLOLLOLWink

Only commonality with Mr. Dave Stewart are the glasses.  LOL

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 23:04

Only commonality with Mr. Dave Stewart are the glasses.  LOL

and smiling too, i hope?Wink

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 01:41
I've taken a recent shining to Sushi. Japanese it is

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 03:13

Italian should definitely have been on the list; the Italian cuisine is generally believed to be one of the best in the world (among a few others that were named). Italian cuisine is a lot more than just pizza and spaghetti. do I really need to name famous culinary creations like Tournedos Rossini, Saltimbocca, Carpaggio, Osso Buco or Tira Mi Su, to name but a few?

IndeedClap. Actually, only a part of Italian cuisine (that from the South) can be considered Mediterranean, sharing many of the same ingredients with other cuisines of the area. If you go to Northern Italy, you'll find dishes that have very little in common with those, say, of Greece or Morocco, relying heavily on dairy products and using rice rather than pasta. Risotto (one of my favourite dishes both to eat and to cook, as Micky knowsWink) comes from the rice-growing areas of Piedmont and Lombardy, and, not incidentally, is made with butter rather than olive oil.

Anyway, I'll be happy to talk about Italian cuisine any time you like - even if I'm about to leave my country, I still intend to cook Italian, at least occasionally. I am not chauvinistic when it comes to food, though, and I do love other cuisines as well - I've tried quite a few, and always enjoyed what I had (especially when prepared with good-quality ingredients). And I do agree with David about British cuisineWink...

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 06:27
This poll is so unfair simply because there's so many cuisines around the world and I've never met one I didn't like.  By the way, you did make a glaring omission with African as a general category as well, other than the Mediterranean portions of Africa. 

One of the great things I like about living in the Atlanta area is you get just about anything you want somewhere around town.

My favorite for the moment is Caribbean, Jamaican in particular, but many of the others are always a close second. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 07:55
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

IndeedClap. Actually, only a part of Italian cuisine (that from the South) can be considered Mediterranean, sharing many of the same ingredients with other cuisines of the area. If you go to Northern Italy, you'll find dishes that have very little in common with those, say, of Greece or Morocco, relying heavily on dairy products and using rice rather than pasta. Risotto (one of my favourite dishes both to eat and to cook, as Micky knowsWink) comes from the rice-growing areas of Piedmont and Lombardy, and, not incidentally, is made with butter rather than olive oil.

Anyway, I'll be happy to talk about Italian cuisine any time you like - even if I'm about to leave my country, I still intend to cook Italian, at least occasionally. I am not chauvinistic when it comes to food, though, and I do love other cuisines as well - I've tried quite a few, and always enjoyed what I had (especially when prepared with good-quality ingredients). And I do agree with David about British cuisineWink...

I also like to eat my way through different cuisines. the German one has some highlights too; it is not just sauerkraut with mashed potatoes and knuckle of pork. Germany is especially well known for its very many different kinds of bread and sausages; no other country has as many varieties of them as Germany. and of course this can be said about beer too.  there are, for example, 34 different kinds of beer in Dortmund alone

-------------

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 08:01
I like american (Hamburgers), swedish (Meatballs&Macaroni, Peasoup, Black Pudding...), Middle eastern (Döner Kebab, Falafel), Indian (Spicy lens stuff), Italian (Pizza, Pasta...), Mexican (Tacos, Quasadillas...)...

Damn. Hard choice!

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 08:02
Probably Thai-food, so "Other Asian" it is then!

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 08:46
Indian for me. All the other nationalities have yet to top the great Lamb Pathia. Utterly delicious!

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 09:35
Mum's.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 09:54

I hope you forgive my ignorance on that... Embarrassed

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:04
ummm... voting other...

Raffaella's cooking....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ummm... voting other...

Raffaella's cooking....

HeartHeartHeart

Well, my cooking is a bit of a mixture between traditional Italian and other influences... I can't wait to be able to make a Thanksgiving dinner with a bit of an Italian twist!
Heart

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:12

Clap Absolutely - I dislike pasta with a passion and only tolerate pizza when I'm really hungry and cannot think of anything else to cook - but I still would rate Italian cooking as some of the best in the world - hmmm, Saltimbocca *drool* and Bresola, yumm!... or fish, simply cooked with just the right amount of seasoning, a dash of wine or lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of herbage - cannot be beaten. And Zabaglione - though I am very hesitant about ordering this in a restaurant - too often what is advertised on the menu is a pre-prepared flavoured egg-custard - it has to be made to order and is time-consuming to make, therefore best not done when the restraint is busy or you'll get a mess that separates out while you eat it Dead.

Then French Provençal style, or Spanish Basque cuisine... Approve

But for me, British cooking when done properly is the best - people may mock us as rostbeefs, but unless you've tried Rib of Beef roasted on the Bone so the inside is rare and tender while the outside is caramelised to perfection so the fats render into the meat, permeating the flavours throughout, you cannot knock it - better than all the other beef dishes I've tried (including fillet mignon and carpaccio)

...then there are the British puddings - Steamed, Charlotted, Crumbled, made into Pies, Milk Puddings, Rolly-Polly, Spotted Dick, Eve's Pudding... all served with real http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_Custard - Birds Custard ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pudding-Club-Book-Luscious-Recipes/dp/0747276935 - The Pudding Club wouldn't use anything else - forget that pale and insipid watery stuff the French call Crème Anglais, it's got to be Bird's*)

As for the Asian foods - Thai every time - but only from a restaurant, supermarket pre-prepared and home-made just don't do it for me. (Though I do make a cracking chili beef soup using Red Thai curry paste and sweet'n'sour pickled mushrooms).

* Note: other brands of Custard powder may exist.

-------------
What?

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:12
Proper British meals for me, though Italian cuisine is delightful at times. Shame that this country's cookery seems to have gone downhill.

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:14

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ummm... voting other...

Raffaella's cooking....

HeartHeartHeart

Well, my cooking is a bit of a mixture between traditional Italian and other influences... I can't wait to be able to make a Thanksgiving dinner with a bit of an Italian twist!
Heart

Turkey and pasta perhaps LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...then there are the British puddings - Steamed, Charlotted, Crumbled, made into Pies, Milk Puddings, Rolly-Polly, Spotted Dick, Eve's Pudding... all served with real http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_Custard - Birds Custard ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pudding-Club-Book-Luscious-Recipes/dp/0747276935 - The Pudding Club wouldn't use anything else - forget that pale and insipid watery stuff the French call Crème Anglais, it's got to be Bird's*)

You might find it hard to believe, but a couple of years ago in Italy there was a book published called English Puddings (which is part of my ever-growing collection of cookbooks), featuring some of the most wonderful recipes for the aforementioned desserts. BTW, I'd rather make custard  from scratch - it's very easy if you use a thickening agent (such as flour or cornflour), and you can flavour it with a real vanilla bean.

As for the Thanksgiving dinner, I was rather thinking about a turkey roll filled with Italian sausage (there's no way I'm going to roast a whole turkey - we'd end up eating it for two monthsLOL!). Unlike Dean, I love pasta, but I agree that there is MUCH more to Italian cuisine than it - risotto being one of the many examples.

Posted By: YesFan72
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:28
Falafel is one of my favorite foods.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 10:31

You might find it hard to believe, but a couple of years ago in Italy there was a book published called English Puddings (which is part of my ever-growing collection of cookbooks), featuring some of the most wonderful recipes for the aforementioned desserts. BTW, I'd rather make custard  from scratch - it's very easy if you use a thickening agent (such as flour or cornflour), and you can flavour it with a real vanilla bean.

As for the Thanksgiving dinner, I was rather thinking about a turkey roll filled with Italian sausage (there's no way I'm going to roast a whole turkey - we'd end up eating it for two monthsLOL!). Unlike Dean, I love pasta, but I agree that there is MUCH more to Italian cuisine than it - risotto being one of the many examples.

*mouth waters*

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 11:25
did you know that a REAL sauce Bolognese needs to simmer for 24 hours? and what do people do today? buy some "Bolognese fix"at the local supermarket, stir it into boiling water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. it is certainly faster. however, you can be sure that at our restaurant we don't use any pre-prepared stuff from the supermarket. of course all the food already is prepared in advance, that's an absolute necessity; if a restaurant waited for the guests' orders before starting to cook they would have to wait several hours before getting served. but rest assured it is done at our restaurant and not at some factory

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 11:57

As much as I dislike pasta, I do like a good ragù alla bolognese made with white wine not red and not overly tomato flavoured (it should taste of meat, not tomatoes), and it has to be cooked slow and long (24 hours sounds excellent I'll have to try that sometime - I usually settle for 3-4 hours) and will tolerate it with a fresh egg-pasta such as tagliatelle (not spaggetti!!) but really love it with mash potato Shocked.

In the interests of Anglo-French detente - today we are making Bread and Butter pudding using brioche.Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 12:08

As much as I dislike pasta, I do like a good ragù alla bolognese made with white wine not red and not overly tomato flavoured (it should taste of meat, not tomatoes), and it has to be cooked slow and long (24 hours sounds excellent I'll have to try that sometime - I usually settle for 3-4 hours) and will tolerate it with a fresh egg-pasta such as tagliatelle (not spaggetti!!) but really love it with mash potato Shocked.

In the interests of Anglo-French detente - today we are making Bread and Butter pudding using brioche.Approve

I think you are aware that 'spaghetti bolognese' is NOT an authentic Italian dish by any means. In its region of origin, it is ALWAYS served over egg noodles (tagliatelle or fettuccine, depending on where you are from), and NEVER on spaghetti or other dried pasta. 

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 12:15

I think you are aware that 'spaghetti bolognese' is NOT an authentic Italian dish by any means. In its region of origin, it is ALWAYS served over egg noodles (tagliatelle or fettuccine, depending on where you are from), and NEVER on spaghetti or other dried pasta. 
Embarrassed you know me too well...

I've also been told that Italians rarely use garlic and onions in the same dish, is this true?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 12:23
As far as I am concerned, I often use both (I did this morning when making braised green beans, and they were delicious). However, when I make bolognese, I only use onion (white), minced in a blender together with celery and carrot. There are dishes in which only one of the two should be used - risotto, unless it's made with seafood, is usually only made with onion.

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 18:57
Mexican Big smile

-------------

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 20:03
PERUVIAN!

Extremely varied food: fish, fish, fish and fish. oh! and fish!
Seriously, it's just delicious all the restaurants. Pittily my stomach wasn't prepared for all-day fish, and I got diarrea

Peru=Excellencie on Fish!
I miss Peru's food and sea

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

PERUVIAN!

Seriously, it's just delicious all the restaurants. Pittily my stomach wasn't prepared for all-day fish, and I got diarrea

oh hell yeah...  a friend of mine took to a great Peruvian place here... and introduced me to some dish.. the hell if I remember what it was.... but told me it was the culinary evilavent of popping a few viagra.

well..  if having your tongue sufffer a raging hard-on is what he meant.. he was dead on. 

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 03:54
As to the Indian cuisine: When you go into an Indian restaurant in Germany you can choose to have your food prepared in one of three ways: Mild, normal or hot. However, even going for the "mild" option will make the average European palate feel as if the gates of hell just opened. LOL

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 04:11
Indian food can kick serious butt.

I honestly just mainly eat your average "Western/Americanized" food, but man, some good Indian food can really rock my boat.

-------------

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 11:27
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Indian food can kick serious butt.

I honestly just mainly eat your average "Western/Americanized" food, but man, some good Indian food can really rock my boat.

You have good taste

I take it you love a good curry like me then? Any preference?

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 14:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

As to the Indian cuisine: When you go into an Indian restaurant in Germany you can choose to have your food prepared in one of three ways: Mild, normal or hot. However, even going for the "mild" option will make the average European palate feel as if the gates of hell just opened. LOL

Funny story.  On our first dinner date I took my future wife to a local Indian restaurant called Himalayas.  We were aware of our mutual love for hot food.  She ordered the lamb vindaloo and for some reason they decided to make it mild.  I didn't believe her at first that it wasn't hot like it normally is, thinking she must have some kind of iron palate, until I tried some.  As it turns out she does have a higher tolerance for heat than I do. 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 17:13

well, i am mexican and really love the food from my country, that is my vote.

The next one would be either Italian or Chinese

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 17:24

PERUVIAN!

I still have to try this one... sounds yummyTongue

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 18:07
British. Although it almost died out, traditional British food is making a real comeback and a lot of it is excellent. Forget the soggy fish and chips you had in London (where it's almost impossible to get proper fish & chips anyway, although 2 Brothers in Finchley is well worth a visit), good Britsh food rocks!

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

PERUVIAN!

I still have to try this one... sounds yummyTongue

Surely you must!

Oh another fave of mine is JAPANESE=Sushi...

Yeah I know, I LOVE FISH!!!! FISH

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 19:31
Coin filp for me between Mexican and Italian.

Date Posted: October 20 2008 at 21:52
Look, you want the truth?  I'll pretty much eat anything.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 01:33
Japanese!
Hibachi food is the greatest thing ever.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 03:08
Right now...Japanese....I love me some sushi.
But, I could easily eat all of the above including this "other"
food. I think it must be alien.

Posted By: zicIy
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 03:46

Chinese

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 22:23
Arabian food
Peruan food
Mexican
Spanish
Italian
Venezuelan
Colombian

-------------
Hi progmaniacs of all the world

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: November 03 2008 at 12:28
THAI

then a tie between Indian and Mexican

-------------
Prog fan since 1974.

Date Posted: November 03 2008 at 12:43
Oooh! a Thai between Indian and Mexican - sounds like a 3-course lunch to me Big smile

-------------
What?

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: November 03 2008 at 13:28
I can't resist our portuguese food, particularly the typical from PORTO. Mediterranean from the list.

Date Posted: November 03 2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

Right now...Japanese....I love me some sushi.
But, I could easily eat all of the above including this "other"
food. I think it must be alien.

"Other" food is actually wax fruit and is highly not recommended. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: November 05 2008 at 13:50
FOOD!!!  Hot damn this is the thread for me.

I cast my vote for "Other Asian".  Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian - these make me very happy.  I've also gotten into Japanese fairly recently, though I'm not sold on the idea of sushi/sashimi.  Give me teppanyaki!  And Indian is awesome as well.

A bit of amusement re chopsticks.  Americans as a rule are not known for using them.  I was in a Japanese place earlier this year, and the server seemed genuinely surprised that I, a typical American white person, knew how to use chopsticks!  I never use them with Chinese - it was Korean and Vietnamese cuisine that convinced me I should learn to use them.

My three favorite moments of restaurant cluelessness:
3) Mexican place.  I order arroz con pollo.  Server (yanqui) says, "You want that with the chicken or the shrimp?"  I reply, "Well.... pollo does mean chicken...."
2) Indian place.  A guy at a nearby table complains that there are no beef items on the menu.  DUH!
1) Thai place.  A guy at a nearby table, greatly enjoying his food, says, "Boy, this is the best Chinese I ever had!"

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: November 05 2008 at 13:53
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

2) Indian place.  A guy at a nearby table complains that there are no beef items on the menu. 

LOL

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: November 06 2008 at 17:09
Yay, a food thread! *Drools a little*LOL I can't decide between Italian and Mexican, so no vote from me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2008 at 17:54
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

Yay, a food thread! *Drools a little*LOL I can't decide between Italian and Mexican, so no vote from me.
no supper for you then ... even if it is ready.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 06 2008 at 18:38

Americans as a rule are not known for using them. 

'scuse me, I'm 'merican and I can use them, and as the instructions say once you get it right you can pick up anything. LOL

2) Indian place.  A guy at a nearby table complains that there are no beef items on the menu.  DUH!

Well if you're at a vegetarian Indian restaurant, you won't be getting meat in any form, and if it's a good joint, you won't be missing it.  Indian vegetarian is one of the finest vegetarian cuisines on the planet.  Dosa, dosa, dosa....

Make mine mysore please. Big smile

If you want to see something really funny watch an ignorant guy ordering and eating extra spicy vindaloo.LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk