Print Page | Close Window

NZ Prog - Ragnarok

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5297
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NZ Prog - Ragnarok
Posted By: Rob The Good
Subject: NZ Prog - Ragnarok
Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 00:56
Has anyone heard any stuff by the band Ragnarok? Possibly the ONLY band to come out of New Zealand (hardly surprising, seeing we produce some of the worst music in the world).

I can't find them ANYWHERE! Although I've read a review that said they were worth the trouble....Grr!

-------------
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.

Replies:
Posted By: chorus of one
Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 02:36

I'd like to check them out too, mainly for the novelty of Kiwi prog really. I've heard Nooks is a pretty good album, haven't managed to hear any though.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 03:24

Well I asked for their inclusion in the Archives (Thanks mailto:M@X - M@X ) but album are hard to come by.

I inly know of Music Emporium in Namur (Southern Belgium) and managed to get an ear on one of the album. Very symphonic and prefiguring future neo-prog.

New Zealand did also come out with Dragon (also very symphonic) yet to be added for inclusion . 2 albums , I gather one called Scented Garden For The Blind.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 04:23

I have not heard any of Ragnarok's music either. I have seen the odd vinyl album come up for auction on"Trademe" (a NZ online auction site similar to Ebay). The same goes for Dragon - I never thought the latter as being progressive rock, more pop rock. However, we learn something everyday. Try out these links below - they give great details on each of these groups:

http://www.sergent.com.au/dragon.html - http://www.sergent.com.au/dragon.html

http://www.sergent.com.au/ragnarok.html - http://www.sergent.com.au/ragnarok.html

If I could get my hands on a recording I would love to hear some of Ragnarok's music and  Dragon's earlier work. Cheers.

Ragnarok

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 05:42

Wow, great links!!!

I never knew Dragon made so many albums, though. But the one I mentioned Garden is also ultra symphonic almost to a poppish manner.

I am rather surprised that they did not mention the live album from Ragnarok.

For others reading this, do not confuse yourself with the  much better known is the Swedish Ragnarok and there is also a metal band called that also.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 07:38
Oh I know about Dragon...they made a couple of Proggy albums but then went to Aus and went pop.

Real Groovy (here in Auckland) has a website where you can order Dragon's "Scented Gardens for the Blind" (remastered too!) for about $40NZ or so.

As for Ragnarok though, they're a mystery. If anyone finds a cd of theirs it might be an idea to upload some of their stuff so they don't sink into obscurity!

-------------

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 08:15
Great! Here's the chance to convince my band to move to NZ and clean up on the Southern Hemisphere prog circuit!

The question is Rob, which island is more prog, North or South?

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: April 19 2005 at 08:22
Hehe...North of course

-------------

Posted By: livesound
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

Has anyone heard any stuff by the band Ragnarok? Possibly the ONLY band to come out of New Zealand (hardly surprising, seeing we produce some of the worst music in the world).

I can't find them ANYWHERE! Although I've read a review that said they were worth the trouble....Grr!
There maybe a live CD of Ragnarok next year when they have NZ Music mouth,if all goes well,plus maybe the release of both albums on CD,just a matter of getting all to agree.

Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Wow, great links!!!

I never knew Dragon made so many albums, though. But the one I mentioned Garden is also ultra symphonic almost to a poppish manner.

I am rather surprised that they did not mention the live album from Ragnarok.

For others reading this, do not confuse yourself with the  much better known is the Swedish Ragnarok and there is also a metal band called that also.

Hi there,try this lick for some info on Ragnarok live album,not sure who released it,as have not heard it myself also,but would love a copy of it just to see what it sounds like,as i did sound for them for some years.

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 09:21
Ah, Dragon's Universal Radio! I had that! I think it had a song called
'Weetabix' on it -- I don't remember much else about it, really. Fairly out-
there stuff.

Posted By: Starette
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by livesound livesound wrote:

There maybe a live CD of Ragnarok next year when they have NZ Music mouth,if all goes well,plus maybe the release of both albums on CD,just a matter of getting all to agree.

That news sounds...fantastic. Well I'm definitely crossing my fingers that all bloody-well DO agree. If that comes out then it would seem that a miracle has ocurred. (Not that I agree we produce "the worst music in the world" Rob, as I've said before- some of the obscure stuff we produce is pretty amazing. Stop focusing on the mainstream Scribe/8-Foot Sativa bad-english rap-crap! STOP IT!!) To be honest I spent most of last year looking at the GOOD things on c4s 'Homegrown' programme.......please don't kill me.

Mutton Birds, SJD, Front Lawn= lovely and Goodshirt isn't too bad either. But that's not prog and I'm going off topic. I've yet to hear any Dragon. I should really make a start.

A swedish prog band, a random metal band and a kiwi prog band with the same name: what does Ragnarok mean/stand-for anyway? Hopefully I don't seem *too* ignorant by asking that question. If I had the time I'd be googling it- but it's less hassle just to ask.

-------------
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...

Posted By: hotbelly
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 18:18

Ragnarok is the Norse version of the Apocalypse, or the end of the world. According to legend a great winter will cover the earth and Fenrir the wolf will swallow the sun. Then (and here my knowledge gets hazy) the world will be reborn, the vast majority of people will die and the rest will live in a utopian paradise.

And on a side note, it is cool to see so many Kiwis here (I am a Wellingtonian myself). I never thought prog was so popular.

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 02:23

.... Norse mythology! (Thanks hotbelly- I'm a boring-old-Aucklander btw. Though I could've been a Wellingtonian for a year but I chose not to move.) That was one of my first guesses as to whereabouts that name came from- as I hear it's quite a popular topic for some Prog bands. I'm new to Prog (got introduced to it about 2 months ago) so I tend to get my facts a bit mixed-up as theres so much to take in. But I'm interested in Mythology- so that's one of the few facts I remember.

I'm interested in it to the extent where I'm shortly going to put on too much make-up, a really cute, STUPID, red outfit and wait to lead a red version of Tiresias on stage in a University of Auckland production of Antigone. "Take a little trip back with father Tiresias..." Sorry, once again I'm going off on a tangent.

Great links valravennz! I'm not being a feminist when I say that it's quite a nice feeling when i see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band- rare as it is. I currently have Tarja Turunen's gorgeous voice stuck in my head (Nightwish). It might pay to get some of  Lea Maalfrid's solo work- it should be interesting...but hopefully it's not hard to find.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 02:56
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

.... Norse mythology! (Thanks hotbelly- I'm a boring-old-Aucklander btw. Though I could've been a Wellingtonian for a year but I chose not to move.) That was one of my first guesses as to whereabouts that name came from- as I hear it's quite a popular topic for some Prog bands. I'm new to Prog (got introduced to it about 2 months ago) so I tend to get my facts a bit mixed-up as theres so much to take in. But I'm interested in Mythology- so that's one of the few facts I remember.

I'm interested in it to the extent where I'm shortly going to put on too much make-up, a really cute, STUPID, red outfit and wait to lead a red version of Tiresias on stage in a University of Auckland production of Antigone. "Take a little trip back with father Tiresias..." Sorry, once again I'm going off on a tangent.

Great links valravennz! I'm not being a feminist when I say that it's quite a nice feeling when i see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band- rare as it is. I currently have Tarja Turunen's gorgeous voice stuck in my head (Nightwish). It might pay to get some of  Lea Maalfrid's solo work- it should be interesting...but hopefully it's not hard to find.

Hi - Im a "boring old Aucklander" too - newly so as a Mainlander by birth and upbringing.  Have been interested in Prog Music since the late 1960's so a very long time fan.

I digress - its great to see another Kiwi female in the forum. You are not being a feminist re: your comment above. I think it is great to see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band. As for Tarja Turunen - I adore her voice - I am a big fan of Nightwish.

I really hope that Ragnarok's albums are going to be re-released soon and I would love to be able to get hold of Lea Maalfrid's solo works as well as Dragon's earlier albums.

BTW congrats on your recent promo to Collaborator - outstanding - keep up the great work

Cheers

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 03:10
There are quite a few of us NZers here, aren't there?

I'm a Hamiltonian now, but originally from Christchurch. Makes life hard,
being born with two heads and one eye.

I always wondered about the relative absence of prog rock in New Zealand. I
wonder if it has anything to do with our hesitancy and insecurity as a nation.
The bombastic excess of prog would be well beyond our national
consciousness.

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 03:16
^^ I couldn't agree more with your statement. Unfortunately we as a Nation have become immersed somewhat in the "Hip Hop/Rap" culture. I don't think there are too many of the young teens and twenty-somethings who would know where to start with Prog Rock - that really saddens me

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Posted By: hotbelly
Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 05:29

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

There are quite a few of us NZers here, aren't there?

I'm a Hamiltonian now, but originally from Christchurch. Makes life hard,
being born with two heads and one eye.

I always wondered about the relative absence of prog rock in New Zealand. I
wonder if it has anything to do with our hesitancy and insecurity as a nation.
The bombastic excess of prog would be well beyond our national
consciousness.

I think the tired old "tall poppy" argument can be used here....New Zealanders tend to frown on excess, broadly speaking. Hence the most popular rock bands are Goodshirt, Shihad etc, who play straight-forward guitar driven rock. Symphonic elements would be ridiculed in the current artistic climate, methinks.

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 06:41
^ You are right there -anyone thinking of going out and starting a Prog Rock group would be laughed off the stage, commercially speaking. I know there are a few "Metal Heads" out there who appreciate progressive metal - groups eg: DT, Opeth, Ayreon, POS and Nightwish. Perhaps a few more people, other than those of us raised on Prog rock in the 70's, will come to appreciate it as a music genre in a broader sense. Of course, I exclude those NZers who have recently come to appreciate Prog rock and others who have found it over the years since it's inception.

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 06:45
I think it's because our country is so incredibly young.

The US & England have such a great literary and cultural heritage to draw material from...we can only look overseas really.

To be honest, I always see NZ as a bit of a punk nation: so much of our music veers towards punk it's not funny (coupled with the fact that the country is young, naive and insecure...fits perfectly!). If it's not punk it's rap/hip-hop, and we all know how dreadful that is.

New Zealand's Art Rock Revolution is coming.....

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 06:49
^^...and the sooner the better!

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 09:52
Perhaps we can bring back Alastair Riddell?

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 14:18

Speaking of an almost non-existant heritage, many of NZs writers/ playwrights have *tried* to do something new, mainly sticking their work in the category of postmodernism, and failed. Badly. C K Stead anyone?  

If you like dancing and you have a slight affection for Massive Attack- PLEASE get hold of some SJD. I *implore* you on my knees. (It annoys me how hardly anyone seems to know who he is so I may as well tell anyone I can about him, like the overly-devoted fan I am.) 

-------------

Posted By: Progbear
Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 14:33
I have Ragnarok’s Nooks album. It’s pretty good as far as lush synth/Mellotron prog, although slightly inessential. I’ve still not heard their first, self-titled album, which featured female vocalist Lea Maalfrid.

I think I may have to pull Nooks out again for a spin. Their guitarist was one of the first to use a guitar-synthesizer.

-------------
[IMG] http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/Progbear/fs/8/w/500/cp/2/s/5/si g.png">

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:49

Speaking of an almost non-existant heritage, many of NZs writers/ playwrights have *tried* to do something new, mainly sticking their work in the category of postmodernism, and failed. Badly. C K Stead anyone?  

If you like dancing and you have a slight affection for Massive Attack- PLEASE get hold of some SJD. I *implore* you on my knees. (It annoys me how hardly anyone seems to know who he is so I may as well tell anyone I can about him, like the overly-devoted fan I am.) 

I have heard SJD - he is awesome! One of my must get albums. BTW have you heard of TERRA FIRMA ? They hail from the BOP - Te Puke. I first heard them on the National Radio Homegrown programme. They sound very prog to me. I have just received their first self-titled album (produced in 2003) and will let you know more if you or any others reading this, are interested.

Cheers

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 20:52

Originally posted by Progbear Progbear wrote:

I have Ragnarok’s Nooks album. It’s pretty good as far as lush synth/Mellotron prog, although slightly inessential. I’ve still not heard their first, self-titled album, which featured female vocalist Lea Maalfrid.

I think I may have to pull Nooks out again for a spin. Their guitarist was one of the first to use a guitar-synthesizer.

Hi - let us know what it is like! Anyway you can upload an MP3 to the archives?

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 01:38
Very interested, valravennz. We expect a review ...

Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 07:38

Terra Firma? They ring a bell somewhere in the depths of my mind...probably I've seen posters for a gig of theirs around Uni/ town ... could you send a link possibly maybe please please please valravennz hun?  If we don't have a lot to be proud of, as a country, theres nothing wrong with holding to the *few* things we have that ARE good.  

How did you get the Nooks album progbear? *Starette crosses her fingers in the hope that that wasn't TOO much of a stupid question to ask*

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 07:48

I thought the Finn brothers - Split Endz, Crowded House (not my cuppa tea) - had the occasional  and excellent prog series of collaborations with Phil Manzanera.

Dave Macrae - Soft Machine, Matching Mole and now attributed with the impromptu arrangement of the Goodies (specifically Bill Oddie's)  Funky Gibbon tune!!!.  (In fact several more excellent New Zealanders worked in the UK jazz rock scene in the 70's, - and I'm trying without success to remember the name of the female singer who still major in the jazz scene - not Dame thingie though, of the opera)

Adopted by NZ: Dublin born,  Rick Laird of Mahavishnu Orchestra

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 07:49
And doesn't Russell Crowe play guitar when he not hitting waiters or anybody else with telephones........

Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 07:57
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

I thought the Finn brothers - Split Endz, Crowded House (not my cuppa tea) - had the occasional  and excellent prog series of collaborations with Phil Manzanera.

Dave Macrae - Soft Machine, Matching Mole and now attributed with the impromptu arrangement of the Goodies (specifically Bill Oddie's)  Funky Gibbon tune!!!.  (In fact several more excellent New Zealanders worked in the UK jazz rock scene in the 70's, - and I'm trying without success to remember the name of the female singer who still major in the jazz scene - not Dame thingie though, of the opera)

Adopted by NZ: Dublin born,  Rick Laird of Mahavishnu Orchestra

Hehe- isn't that just the way it always is: whenever a kiwi discovers they have more talent than they believe their country is worth- they LEAVE! and increase their aura somewhere else in the world.... infact as I'm writing I'm listening to Uriah Heep. They had a kiwi bassist at one point apparantly. Not that I remember his name but that's still yet another example.

Split Enz can be pretty beautiful. Message to my girl=

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 20:05

^^

Dick Heath:

Jazz singer name is possibly Beaver - does that ring another bell?

Starette:

Have listened to Terra Firma - very eclectic mix of tracks - quite space/psychedelic in places, with some folk rock and ambience. A very good album with great vocals and lyrics. I would love another opinion. Here are two urls to reviews:

http://www.nzmusician.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/albumdetail/pi_albumid/34 - http://www.nzmusician.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/albumdetai l/pi_albumid/34

http://www.amplifier.co.nz/nzmusic/2474/terra_firma.html - http://www.amplifier.co.nz/nzmusic/2474/terra_firma.html

The link to the bands site does not work - I wonder if they are still together or if Terra Firma was a "one-off" project. Maybe some of your friends at Auck Uni might have some info.(Here's hoping).  

The Kiwi bassist in Uriah Heep was Gary Thain who died an untimely death in 1976, when Heep was still at it's peak. Here is link to some info about Gary:

http://www.garythain.5u.com/ - http://www.garythain.5u.com/

Cheers

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 19 2005 at 04:38
Gary's death was the end of a world

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 19 2005 at 07:18
Really great to see so many Proggers here in NZ. there is hope indeed!!!!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: August 19 2005 at 21:04
Valravennz- you have the best links in the world! I really want some Terra Firma now :P

-------------

Posted By: italprogfan
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 03:05
i like 'nooks' a little better than their first, but they are both pretty good.

Date Posted: August 22 2005 at 06:24

will let you know when it all happens,from what i have heard so far they are all saying yes to releasing the live CD,plus both of there other two albums onto CD also,cheers.

That news sounds...fantastic. Well I'm definitely crossing my fingers that all bloody-well DO agree. If that comes out then it would seem that a miracle has ocurred. (Not that I agree we produce "the worst music in the world" Rob, as I've said before- some of the obscure stuff we produce is pretty amazing. Stop focusing on the mainstream Scribe/8-Foot Sativa bad-english rap-crap! STOP IT!!) To be honest I spent most of last year looking at the GOOD things on c4s 'Homegrown' programme.......please don't kill me.

Mutton Birds, SJD, Front Lawn= lovely and Goodshirt isn't too bad either. But that's not prog and I'm going off topic. I've yet to hear any Dragon. I should really make a start.

A swedish prog band, a random metal band and a kiwi prog band with the same name: what does Ragnarok mean/stand-for anyway? Hopefully I don't seem *too* ignorant by asking that question. If I had the time I'd be googling it- but it's less hassle just to ask.

Date Posted: August 22 2005 at 08:49

Of course I/ we will. Though it'd probably be ages away, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 04:46

Attention all New Zealanders!

I have just seen on Greg Walker's Syn-phonic site Dragon's first two albums on a 2 on 1 CD just added on yestrday! For just $ 18.00 US !!!! Not to be missed, I think!

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 05:14
Oooh! Though the credit card is empty. Will have to wait. No, I'll sell one of
the kids. Do I have any left?

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 03:04

Sorry to resurrect this thread for purely personal reasons ... but will be stopping by really briefly (for less than 2 days) in Wellington on a work assignment ... can anyone point me the way of cool second hand music shops there (particularly one with a decent prog selection)? ... This is the most interesting looking store I've tracked down ...

REAL GROOVY WELLINGTON
250 Cuba Street, Wellington Central
PO Box 6418, Wellington
Phone (04) 385-2020, Fax (04) 385-2030
Hours: 9am-6pm Monday to Thursday, 9am-9pm Friday, 9am-6pm Saturday, 9am-6pm Sunday

Any tips?

Also, if I were to sum up, Ragnarok and Airlord are the main classic NZ prog bands to look out for, with Dragon and Terra Firma also worth checking out? But none of them are particularly easy to find right?

Cheers!

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Progbear
Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 03:17

How did you get the Nooks album progbear?

The Japanese label Edison released it on CD about 1,000 years ago. I got in just under the wire to buy it before the pressing ran out. For once, I was on the ball. Usually I miss out on these sorts of things.

-------------
[IMG] http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/Progbear/fs/8/w/500/cp/2/s/5/si g.png">

Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 21:58
yup figured this thread would slide down ... timing's wierd isn't it ... I think I log on after most people in NZ have logged off ... either that or no one's got an answer ^

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 22:07
^I am not terribly familiar with Wellington's second-hand record shops, but Real Groovy is a very good start. They have outlets in the major NZ cities. They also may be able to direct you to nearby second-hand stores. Good-Luck in your purchases

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 22:28
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Any tips?

Also, if I were to sum up, Ragnarok and Airlord are the main classic NZ prog bands to look out for, with Dragon and Terra Firma also worth checking out? But none of them are particularly easy to find right?

Cheers!

No unfortunately, these groups are not easy to find. Note: You may see quite a bit of "Dragon" on sale. Their later non-prog more pop albums are quite freely available. It is their very early albums that you should look for ie:

• Scented Gardens For the Blind (Vertigo 6360903 (Vinyl) 1974)
  • Universal Radio (Vertigo 6360902 (Vinyl) 1974)

Cheers, Trotsky

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 00:41
Thanks a lot, val ... much appreciated

-------------

Posted By: Audiophile
Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 00:53

I have Nooks on mini lp. Its good but not great. Theres a 'glam' break ala Gary Glitter during one of the songs which is ill advised. I haven't spun it for a while; will do so soon.

Progressive music is basically non-exisitant in New Zealand.

The best local album I've got in recent years was by a guitarist Nigel Gavin called Thrum. All original, all-instrumental music played on a custom made seven string acoustic guitar. Its a superb album.

Great to see so many Kiwis' at this site!

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 05:55
You will find Valravennz is a bank of useful information in most cases... (Sorry if I sound like I'm buttering you up Val- I don't mean to.) Real Groovy is very good- we have one here in Auckland too and the service is crap but the music is....infinite.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 22:54

the service is crap but the music is....infinite.

I'll take that  ... Cheers, guys!

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 08:09

Have just finished re-doing most of the live Ragnarok music we had left,its was all done on two track so have done the best to get it to sound as good as posable with what we had to start with,will keep all posted about a release time,cheers Both Ragnarok albums maybe released on CD also later on.Good to see so many people still interested in our music,ty.

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 17:33
is kiri te kanawa prog ??

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 17:49

Hehe- nope but she's 'progressive' in the sense that she not only sings but writes....children's stories. (my latest surprising-discovery as we're studying her book in one of my papers at Uni now.) She's probably the best thing to come out of my college (St Marys- Ponsonby) and she's reeeeally lovely.

Livesound- that sounds fantastic!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 21:44

Have just finished re-doing most of the live Ragnarok music we had left,its was all done on two track so have done the best to get it to sound as good as posable with what we had to start with,will keep all posted about a release time,cheers Both Ragnarok albums maybe released on CD also later on.Good to see so many people still interested in our music,ty.

Great news livesound

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 22:13

Awesome, Livesound. Look forward to hearing an update.

-------------

- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 21:50

And a final bump,  ... in case anyone has any more thoughts on Kiwi prog before I head out there ...

Cheers!

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Great news livesound

Hi all,well considering this is Kiwi Music month here in New Zealand,we,been Ragnarok would like to offer to anyone that would be interested in getting copies of Ragnarok Albums on Cd,we have Ragnarok (Ragnarok), Ragnarok (Nooks),and also a new Ragnarok Live Cd taken from shows we did though out NZ from 1976 - 1978,Cd's cost twenty NZD each plus cost of posting. Anyone interested can get in touch with me at  mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]   

Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 15:38
OK, this thread re-emerges. In the interim I've acquired the DRAGON 2-for-1 CD of their two early prog albums, "Universal Radio' and 'Scented Gardens for the Blind'. Very nice it is too, though by no means essential. Most definitely prog, in a lightweight, CAMEL kind of way, with naive humour and drug/fantasy subjects.

Which raises a question, of course. Ought DRAGON to be here on the Archives? Two prog albums followed by a pile of pure pop albums. Hmmm.

Posted By: dawning_horn
Date Posted: May 12 2008 at 17:51
Very pleased to announce the remastering of all Ragnarok's albums by the band's keyboardist Andre Jayet. I've been in touch with him and purchased all three CD's (remastered from the original 2 track stereo master reel to reel tapes). These tapes are over 30 yrs old, so I think an excellent job has been done, and it's just FANTASTIC to hear the band in all it's glory.

I myself was in the audience at the Wellington Gig of the 1976 Jeff Beck / Jan Hammer Tour, where Ragnarok supported. They played an amazing set off their albums, and even Jeff commented, when he walked on stage "well, THAT'S going to be difficult to match, but we''ll try". Obviously, he blew everyone away that night with The Jan Hammer Group, but he was certainly impressed with our very own Ragnarok.

If anyone is interested in these albums, they can contact Andre Jayet here:

Cd's are A$20 each (he lives in Alice Springs) and I believe there r a few left.

Their music remains some of my all time favourite progressive rock, and it has been my friend for many years.......ULLR !!!!!! 

Posted By: dawning_horn
Date Posted: May 12 2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by Audiophile Audiophile wrote:

I have Nooks on mini lp. Its good but not great. Theres a 'glam' break ala Gary Glitter during one of the songs which is ill advised. I haven't spun it for a while; will do so soon.

Progressive music is basically non-exisitant in New Zealand.

The 'Glam' break in 'Waterfall / Captain Fagg' off the 'Nooks' album was actually more of a tribute to Marc Bolan, and a comment on the emergence of disco, as these lyrics show :

"Alright M.B.'s boots Rock n' Roll"

M.B. being Marc Bolan (Ramon York, Lead guitar even dressed the part for the filming) and :

"Yes when I hit the city,
 a whisper becomes a shout;
 we now have things called 'discos'
 that all help to pound it out"

is very much a lament of the changing face of music...prog (at the time) on its way out...the bands days r numbered, and maybe in fine RUNIC tradition, the band foresaw their own end.... 

Incidentely, the band had a particular stronghold on the east coast of the north island of NZ , and , interestingly enough, there is a small area of Scandinavian settlements there...places like Alfredton (Alfred, an early english king I believe, of danish/viking heredity) also, Dannevirke, and Norsewood. I drive thru these places regularly, and always, my mind turns to those great days of the mid 70's, when NZ prog was alive and well..

Both the 'Ragnarok' and 'Nooks' albums were way ahead of anything in terms of pure originality, and certainly in my humble opinion, stand the test of time to anyone who loves prog, and 'feels' Nordic Mythology. Musically , even now, I am transported to those inner realms of deep mystic reverberation; my heart is strengthened, and my resolve to face life anew and transmute all experiences is underpinned by the music of this GREAT band.

ULLR!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk