Print Page | Close Window

My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54384
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 04:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
Posted By: erik neuteboom
Subject: My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 08:51

MY OLD AND NEW INTERESTING

PROGRESSIVE BANDS THREAD

Replies:
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:21

Wink

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:32

And .. "old loves die hard" Wink :

LATTE E MIELE - Live Tasting (****)
javascript:popupWindow%28http://www.progwalhalla.nl/popup_image.php?pID=14604%29">Live Tasting
- Incredible how many legendary Classic Italian Progrock bands have reunited in the last decade, after bands like Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Le Orme, Banco, New Trolls and Osanna, here is Latte E Miele featuring 3 members of the original line up on their debut album Passio Secundum Mattheum (1972).

- This live CD was recorded in Canada in 2008, it sounds good and the band plays very inspired songs from their three Seventies albums. The first part concerns a selection of their first album, we can enjoy a great blend of classical and symphonic rock with awesome vintage keyboard work (Grand piano, Hammond organ, Mellotron, synthesizers and some splendid harpsichord runs), wonderful moving guitar solos, warm Italian vocals and lots of variety, from a tender Grand piano solo or classical guitar with flute-Mellotron to mid-tempo with powerful organ and bombastic with a choir sound, propulsive drum beats and beautiful interplay between guitar and piano. Then three songs from the album Papillon (1973): a mid-tempo with Emerson-inspired Hammond work and classical orchestrations in Ouverture, lots of variety with brass instruments, classical guitar, church organ and a jazzy acoustic guitar solo in Primo Quadro and a dreamy climate with warm and sparkling Grand piano, flute-Mellotron, wonderful Italian vocals and compelling classical orechestrations in Rimani Nella Mia. Next is the song Fantasia Pere Chandra (I am not familiar with this track) that contains virtuosic classical guitar, followed by the suite Pavana from the album Aquile E Scoiattoli (1976). It often sounds similar to The Enid featuring a classical keyboard sound, blended with fiery electric guitar, a strong rhythm-section and again great work on keyboards, especially in Pavana Parte Terza (Hammond, church organ and Bolero-like accordion sound on synthesizer), very impressive! The band concludes this live CD with a new song entitled Vision Of Sunlight, it starts a bit polished but then we can enjoy strong work on guitar and keyboards in a more bombastic and compelling atmosphere, is this a prelude for a new album? I hope so!

ASTURIAS – In Search Of The Soul Trees (****)
javascript:popupWindow%28http://www.progwalhalla.nl/popup_image.php?pID=14574%29">In Search of the Soul Trees
- This Japanese progrock band was founded in 1987 and made 3 studio albums: Circle In The Forest (1988), Brilliant Streams (1990) and Cryptogram Illusion (1993). Then Asturias disbanded but 25 years after their latest effort, here is a surprising return in de original line-up, including members of the other known Japanese progrock formation Shingetsu.
- This new album contains two epic tracks (at about 23 and 27 minutes), both are divided into five parts. The music is, like on their previous albums, strongly influenced by Mike Oldfield but I also notice elements from folk, classical music, jazz and symphonic rock, very well blended and tastefully arranged: the one moment you hear instruments like a twanging acoustic guitar, Grand piano, cello or flute, the other moment bombastic keyboards and howling electric guitar runs. To me this album sounds as a very pleasant and varied musical journey with many interesting ideas and lots of surprising shifting moods. My highlights are the two most progressive rock oriented compositions: the alternating, often very exciting Woods Storm (lush mellotron waves, fiery guitar, a powerful Chris Squire-like bass, an acoustic guitar solo with swinging piano and a swirling Hammond organ solo) and the long Soul Trees (wonderful violin solo, great bombastic eruptions and a beautiful final part with soaring keyboards and warm classical guitar). I also like the final track Dawn featuring sensitive work on Grand piano and electric guitar, a very warm end of a strong and varied album.
- A big hand for Japanese progrock band Asturias with their convincing return after 25 years!

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:43

Back in time, to Italy:

LE ORME-Live Orme

- If I take a look at the Italian section of my progrock collection, it’s a battle between PFM and Le Orme to be honoured as my favorite band. I tend to choose (early) Le Orme because of their splendid compositorial qualities, their huge musical skills, their great dynamics and their perfect blend of technical and emotional elements. In the mid-Nineties I traced this 2-live-CD (at the level of a good bootleg) in the catalogue of Musea, the known French progrock label/mail-order service. Eventually it turned out to be both one of my most expensive orders (almost US $ 45,-) as one of my most precious Italian progrock documents because “Live Orme” contains great renditions of all the ‘classics’ like “Contrappunti”, “Maggio”, “Gioco di bimba”, “Era inverno”, “Truck of fire”, “Cementi armato”, “Collage” and the surprising (but unfortunaltely short) covers from Led Zeppelin (“Whole lotta love”) and Jethro Tull (“Aqualung”). I’m delighted about the wonderful changing atmospheres, from warm and melancholic (featuring the great, very distinctive Italians vocals and pleasant acoustic guitar) to compelling and bombastic in the vein of The Nice and ELP, what a stunning keyboardplay delivering lots of exciting Hammond organ and a dynamic rhytm-section.

SENSITIVA IMMAGINE - E Tutto Comincio Cosi

- Almost every inch of this CD (transferred from 1976 tapes) has the spirit of the early GENESIS, only the Italian vocals let you realise that this album is not a kind of ‘lost “Selling England By The Pound” tapes’! Even a live picture on the inside of this digipack (I own the Japanese Melos label version) looks like the early GENESIS. The six compositions (the Musea re-release has three bonus tracks) sound pleasant and melodic featuring warm vocals, great sensitive electric guitar work and lush keyboards. They don’t have the elaborate compositional skills of the other famous GENESIS-inspired band NEUSCHWANSTEIN but I’m sure SENSITIVA IMMAGINE will not be a disappointment if you want to enjoy the 70-77 GENESIS-era.

Ciao Wink 

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:43

Nice recommendatiosn Erik, i am eagerly waiting for my copy of the new Anima Mundi album and as i see you rated it with 4 stars, i am sure it will be a great listening!

I am also waiting for the Aly's copy/meeting, he does not live in the same city as me but hopefully we will meet in the next year!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:48

Hello Memowakeman, you loyal fellow symphomaniac Hug haha! On the last two Progwalhalla evenings the new Anima Mundi album was received very well, what a pity you have to wait so long. Although I am not a progmetal fan, I am very pleased with Aly his album, you can name it Eclectic Prog Metal, very exciting Thumbs Up

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:09
Cut it out, I already have too much stuff in my collection. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:21

Well Slartibartfast, in most of my other threads I was often accused of "plundering
         the wallets" because of my many recommendations so you better ignore this thread LOL !

By the way, you do have a stuffed collection  Shocked .....

Posted By: AmericanProgster
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 13:53
Hey Erik, I'm glad to meet another fan of Angel. What a great band they were and are! Their first two albums "Angel" - 1975 and HelluvaBand - 1976 are great hard rock meets a whole lot of symphonic albums! I've never been able to say which is my favorite though, would've been easier if they released both as a double album!Wink But definitely their most progressive songs would be "The Tower", "Mariner", and the epic "The Fortune" (which opens with a 4 minute moog and mellotron intro).

On these first two albums Angel's lyrical content at times reminds of some of the greatest (Yes, Genesis, Captain Beyond).

For Angel's third release, On Earth as it is in Heaven, they started to go commercial but that doesn't mean they didn't throw some prog in there! I recommend Can You Feel It, "You're Not Fooling Me," "That Magic Touch" (a nice little pop prog song, catchy as hell), and for those of you who never had the oppurtunity to listen to anything outside their first two albums then you will really enjoy "Cast the First Stone" and "Just a Dream" which are among Angel's most progressive titles.

Thanks for listening!

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:01
I would like to include a band called Light who were from Indiana, USA. They formed in the late 70s or early 80s and only released one album in 1981 called "Keys." They played what some people might call soft prog/pop prog or combination of the two. Their one and only album has beautiful music and I think is worthy of a few listens. So if you can find this album then go for it. Besides if you don't like the music you can always hang the album cover on your wall, just look at the amazing artwork!

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:05

Thanks for posting AmericanProgster, today I read your thread about Angel'and I am glad I have included Angel their first album in my first post, I just added my review about their second album in that post, I presume you have missed it so take a look again Thumbs Up Anyway, it's a very captivating band in progressive terms on their first two albums (but it's not easy to get those albums as CD reissues) and I am glad you are a fan of their unique sound too!

Clap

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:17
Tower.... no need to say another word, except maybe Giuffria Clap
It's been a few aeons since I last heard that album, I'll have to look it up somewhere. Last time I played it was in the audio cassette era.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:28
What the hell is a cassette! LOL Just kidding, all my Angel albums are on vinyl. Too tedious at times to find all their albums on CD.

Here's another band for you all. GoodThunder formed in the early 70s in Los Angeles. They played a heavy kind of pysch prog. They only released one album in 1972 before all their members joined AOR bands. This is a highly recommended album, so find yourself a copy and enjoy. You can find it both on vinyl and CD, although the vinyl is easier and cheaper to get.

-------------
https://dawnapproach.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://dawnapproach.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/dawn-approach" rel="nofollow - https://soundcloud.com/dawn-approach

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:35

Angelo, are you that old Shocked LOL ?!

AmericanProgster, thanks for your USA progrock bands recommendations Light and StormThunder Thumbs Up Do you know this USA progrock bands (it's my PA review from a long time ago)?

ATLANTIS PHILHARMONIC - Same
- I have just added this fine USA gem to the Prog Archives site, I’m looking forward to other reviews! And keep in  mind that this was a duo playing all the instruments!

- 1. Atlantis (5.15) : This is a bombastic and dynamic piece featuring raw electric guitar, pleasant vocals and great Hammond organ work, from powerful to swirling. In the end there is a fat synthesizer sound, blended with fiery electric guitar and finally wonderful violin-Mellotron.

- 2. Woodsman (7.36) : First beautiful piano play, very tender and then more and more sparkling. Soon soft violin-Mellotron waves enter and the piano play builds up very exciting, culminating in an eruption with majestic violin-Mellotron in the vein of early King Crimson or Museo Rosenbach, GOOSE BUMPS!

- 3. Death man (5.27) : On  this song te focus is on propulsive interplay between a fiery electric guitar and powerful drums, at some moments accompanied by Hammond organ runs and strong vocals.

- 4. Fly-the-night (4.36) : A catchy rhythm with Hammond organ - and harpsichord work, pleasant but a bit simple.

- 5. My friend (3.59) : A warm track featuring beautiful piano – and Mellotron play.

- 6. Atlas (8.15) : The final composition is build around fiery electric guitar and propulsive drum beats, it sounds exciting and has a dated, typical late Sixties/early Seventies sound. To me this is more than OK!

A FINE PROGROCK ALBUM FOR THE VINTAGE KEYBOARD AFICIONADOS!

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:44
I've heard of them, but I don't think I've heard their music.

-------------
https://dawnapproach.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://dawnapproach.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/dawn-approach" rel="nofollow - https://soundcloud.com/dawn-approach

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:14
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Angelo, are you that old Shocked LOL ?!

Hmm..... I had a cassette player and a portable record player (you know, the kind with two speakers that you can click together to create a cover for the player) around 1987, and that's also around the time I first heard Angelo.Wink

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:29
Close to embryonal memories Angelo Wink ! But seriously, that cassette tape era was great, I remember that in the early Seventies (I am from 1960) I taped all the interesting songs from the weekly Top 40 on the Dutch radio after I had purchased the weekly Veronica Top 40 list at my favorite record store. Later I started to listen to the pirate radio stations like Veronica, Radio Northsea International, Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg, that's the way I discovered bands like Queen, Roxy Music, Status Quo, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple Thumbs Up

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:16
I taped in a similar fashion - remember Vara's Vuurwerk between 85 and 89?

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 05:03

Angelo, I don't remember Vara's Vuurwerk between 1985 and 1989, I am only familiar with De Beton Top 3 where I first heard the stunning sound of early Angel (indeed: Mirror, how exciting Clap).

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 05:36
Nice list! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 08:10

Thanks Angelo, it was a very good year Thumbs Up

I forgot to mention my favorite gigs this year:

1) Anekdoten - Pul in Uden (Tron Heaven Approve )

2) Nemo - Progfarm in Bakkeveen (superbe)

3) Hypnos 69 - Symforce in Tilburg (mindblowing Cry Baby wah-wah driven guitarwork)

Next week I hope to review the Unitopia 2-CD, pretty eclectic sound, to say the least!

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 08:14
ALSO EDEN's new CD is the only Neo/Symph-Prog Album in my Top-10 of the Year

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 08:17

Hello Igor, good to see you posting here and ... I can see you are one year wiser LOL

By the way, I still don't know what Post Rock means Wacko,

can you mention some 'known' Post Rock Bands?

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 08:27
Erik Thumbs Upnice to se you again with full forces and great bands aswell on this thread. What to say, some of them I know, some of them I never heard, anyway nice recomandation to listen in the future, tanks a lot.

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 12:26

Multumesc, Bogdan Wink !

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 12:39

Thanks Angelo, it was a very good year Thumbs Up

I forgot to mention my favorite gigs this year:

1) Anekdoten - Pul in Uden (Tron Heaven Approve )

2) Nemo - Progfarm in Bakkeveen (superbe)

3) Hypnos 69 - Symforce in Tilburg (mindblowing Cry Baby wah-wah driven guitarwork)

Next week I hope to review the Unitopia 2-CD, pretty eclectic sound, to say the least!

Nice gigs all great bands, i would love to see Anekdoten on stage, i am sure that would be one of my all time fav moments since i love them

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 13:01

Well Memowakeman, it was a very special musical experience to witness that Anekdoten gig,  in the final half hour the band improvised, driven by huge Mellotron waves, incredible. The mindblowing psychedelic atmosphere reminded me of the magic early Pink Floyd years (Pompeii-era), so compelling! 

I found this picture, it shows the Anekdoten studio, including the Mighty M400 Mellotron Clap

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 05:17
Thanks Erik for some interesting recomendations Thumbs Up particularly Also Eden which is a band that I have so far ignored. I was listening to Maze of Time as it happens and quite enjoyed their sound and if they sound like Selling England Genesis then SENSITIVA IMMAGINE are going to be worth a listen.

I'll give some of the others a listen too. Smile

By the way, I'm waiting for the latest Nemo cd (ltd ed with bonus live disc) to arrive, so Impressed was I with their sound. I can see why you like them so much!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 05:28
I saw a Julian's Treatment CD at a record shop, maybe I'll give it a try.  Another great band from the English post-underground to be recently unearthed is Room with their wonderful only album Pre-Flight, rich and bluesy symphonic psych that I'll be adding to HeavyProg soon.

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 08:27

Paul: Also Eden and Maze Of Time are good modern sounding progrock bands, very tasteful arranged compositions and a good balance between the instruments, absolutely no self-indulgence. Sensative Immagine is one of the most overlooked Italian progrock bands, if you are up to a Selling England By The Pound sound, blended with warm Italian vocals, check out their only album (originally on a tape, then on CD by a Japanese label and finally reissued by Musea).

Atavachron: Thanks for the recommendation of the band Room, 'bluesy symphonic' sounds very interesting, a sort of progrock with emotion Wink ! In the early Nineties I disocvered Julian's Treatment after reading the euphoric notes in the catalogue of the French progrock lael Musea, I am still blown away by their typically late Sixties/early Seventies sound:

JULIAN'S TREATMENT - A Time Before This ... Plus (1970-73)

— The brainchild of this musical project was Julian Savarin. He was born in Dominica but moved with his family to Britain in the early Sixties. He was a writer and a keyboard player and longing to fullfill his musical ideas. Julian recruited his own band with John Dover on bass, Del Watkins on guitar, Jack Drummond on drums and Cathy Pruden on vocals. They started rehearsing and gigging round London as JULIAN'S TREATMENT. In june '70 the label Youngblood released their first album “A Time Before This”. Two years later Julian was approached by Birth records to make a new album. Only bass player John Dover came from the old line-up, other musicians of JULIAN's new band were Nigel Jenkins (guitar), Roger Odell (drums) and Jo Meek (vocals). And in '73 the second album “Waiters On The Dance” came out, credited by Julian J. Savarin (nowadays a famous writer!). In 1990 the British label See For Miles Records released a compilation with material from JULIAN'S TREATMENT recorded between 1970 and 1973. It’s entitled “A Time Before This ... Plus” and a perfect showcase of the exciting sound from JULIAN'S TREATMENT: lots of organ, strong female vocals, a dynamic rhythm-section and some piano, guitar, flute and Mellotron. The music frequently alternates from melodic progrock in the vein of EARTH & FIRE (female vocals and layers of organ) to ominous climates with hints from the Gothic scene featuring haunting vocals and majestic Hammond organ. My highlight on this compilation is the compelling composition “Child of the night 1 + 2” delivering wonderful vocals, impressive Hammond organ, some beautiful flute – and violin Mellotron waves and fiery electric guitar, this is the band at their best. The music from JULIAN'S TREATMENT sounds very dated and relatively simple but if you love the organ-based progrock bands from the early British Progressive Rock Movement like RARE BIRD, BRAM STOKER, QUATERMASS or GRACIOUS, don’t miss this underrated, often missed band with the powerful female vocals and splendid organplay as their trademark!

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 08:45
Erik, to be completely serious, I dunno what is Post-Rock too From bands we have here on PA I can recommend you some nu prog/eclectic/art-rockish Post-Rock bands that you might enjoy for sure - EQUUS (think of more atmospheric early ANEKDOTEN), NEIL ON IMPRESSION (Italian Prog was here!), KURKI (ANEKDOTEN meets PAATOS!), IMMANU EL (BAUER goes atmospheric), MAGYAR POSSE (James Bond soundtrack!), TUNA LAGUNA (Indie Canterbury?), GRAILS (Psychedelic Rock ftw!), ACTUAL MUSIC QUARTET RSM (purely eargasmic!), EKSI EKSO (IMMANU EL-related) and definitely SIGUR ROS. Don't expect too much first of all, turn off your tech-o-meter scale, there's no bombastic attitude, mostly emotions and atmosphere Since you have eamazing melomaniac experience, I bet you'll like some of them

Then there are some Classic Post-Rock bands you might enjoy, but let's take them when you'll be through with these ones, OK? Begin with EQUUS, SIGUR ROS (2002' release) and NEIL ON IMPRESSION (2006' one), and you won't regret!

and thnx for yr congratz

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 08:55

Thanks for the funny and interesting teaching lessons about Post Rock  Igor,
                       I have the idea that the music has strong dark ambient overtones (one of
                      the main ingredients in many Skandinavian progrock) ... does that sound OK?

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:20
well, it's somewhat true, but not as dark as other bands, that I'd prepare for your second experience, Erik these ones would sound like The Moody Yes comparing to what you are to hear

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:23
btw, any Dark Prog recs, Erik? I've kinda missed the whole genre in 2008 I've listened to 8-10 releases, and liked only SIMON SAYS, ALSO EDEN, BEARDFISH and ABEL GANZ

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:48

Igor, I will take a dive into my progrock collection in order to find some Dark Prog.

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 10:00
../artist.asp?id=51 - CAST - ../album.asp?id=18583 - Originallis

My favourite album of 2008 and quickly became one of my all-time favourites.

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL ALBUM!!!!

I have heard of Cast before and got curious about them, but never heard more than snippets of their music. I read a few favourable reviews of their previous album, Com.Union but didn’t pick it up. So, Originallis is my first proper listen to the music of Cast, this long-time active Mexican band.

And what and album it is!

A double album, this 2008 release is over 90 minutes long, filled with lovely symphonic rock moments, embracing keyboards, powerful lead guitar playing and delightful playing of other instruments such as saxophone, flute and clarinet.

The songs flow into each other naturally, connected and seem to not end. The music changes mood and pace from a relaxed opening song named after the title of the album to the highly energetic, fun and enthralling instrumental piece that is Pulsar. It is a fantastic piece, emotional and powerful, shifting from a slightly melancholic state to an optimistic and positive mood, always on the move, not giving the listener any rest, but not in an exhausting kind of way; simply it just goes on and on, evolving as it goes on, adding structures and changing instruments as it develops. The sax solo, the use of the female vocalizations, and the rest of this expanded lineup take this track one notch up than it would have been, showing the importance of knowing how to not only construct your song but also how to orchestrate it, “paint” it with ingredients that will take it further on.

There are wonderful melodic lines, filled with passion and which sound powerful thanks to the enhanced lineup and the female vocalization. The balance between the melodic and the complex and dynamic is at a good position, as the switching occurs seamlessly and the result can proudly stand in line with other current great lineups of progressive rock bands. The male vocals by Alejandro Tornero are delicate and soft, matching the music and melodies and do not overshadow the rich sound of the band and the full gamut of instruments played upon. The female vocals and vocalization adds another magical layer to the already thrilling basis and fit very well.

I have also to mention the wonderful artwork of the album, magnificent drawings that are a delight to look at while listening to the music.

As said above, this is a long album, but for some reason I could get into it quite quickly and surprisingly for an album of this length, already from the second listen. While the music can be complex at times, it is quite accessible and bears a charm hard for me to resist. You may want to use the natural division of the two cd’s to have separate listens and make it easier to grasp. If you like current and 90’s Italian symphonic prog bands you might recognize some similarities in the style.

The album mixes very well the wonderful symphonic-prog sound with lush keyboards alongside heavy, almost metal-like guitar solos. If you like symphonic-prog that travels between the soft and heavy the tender and powerful, this is a very worthwhile album to get. A fantastic album.

forum_posts.asp?TID=28343 - Report this review (#182697) | Posted 1:45:37 PM EST, 9/17/2008

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 10:18
Erik, well worth reminding people of Nostradamus and Taifa, 2 bands that deserve more atention. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 13:45

Indeed Paul, Nostradamus (Heavy Prog) and Taifa (Eclectic Prog Metal) are two very dynamic and exciting bands. By the way, I just noticed that this promising Polish neo-prog band is still not on Prog Archives:

Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 16:05

I am very glad to hear that Cozy Powell is added to Prog Archives today Approve :

COZY POWELL – Over The Top

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Over_The_Top.jpg">Over the Top cover

- In the late Seventies I was very much into jazzrock sounding music like JL Ponty, Al DiMeola, Jeff Beck and Mahavishnu Orchestra so it was no surprise that I stumbled upon Cozy Powell, on this first solo album many contributions are by musicians that have played with the aforementioned bands.

- On Over The Top (1979) we can enjoy a super powerhouse rhythm-section featuring the late drummer Cozy Powell and ex-Cream bass player Jack Bruce, what a powerful and dynamic sound, especially on Theme I and El Sid! The keyboard sound is also very exciting, delivered by Max Middleton and Don Airey, from mellow Fender Rhodes electric piano and sparkling Grand piano to lots of flashy Minimoog flights, symptuous classical orchestrations and UK-like synthesizer sounds because of the use of the mighty Yamaha CS-80. Some songs sound similar to Colosseum II because of the interplay between their ex-members Don Airey and Gary Moore. It’s ‘blues time’ in The Loner (dedicated to Jeff Beck) with moving work on guitar and piano and a pitchbend-driven Minimoog solo in the end. But the most interesting and perhaps most progressive composition is the titletrack: it opens with a swinging rhythm and excellent, then varied and exciting work on keyboards and halfway Cozy starts a drum solo, soon accompanied by bombastic classical orchestrations (lots of woodwinds and brass) on the Yamaha and Moog synthesizer, the build-up and grand finale is great, I will remember Cozy Powell forever as the composer of this composition, close to the level of Classic Prog!

By the way, 2 years ago I was walking in the Scottish capital Edinburgh in The Royal Mile street, halfway I suddenly noticed a small record shop, I entered without any expectations and walked out with ... The Best Of Cozy Powell CD http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000001EZ5/ref=dp_image_0/280-2234310-4950269?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music">The Best Of Cozy Powell  , it contains 16 tracks of his 3 albums Over The Top (1979), Tilt (1981) and Octopuss (1983) and features many great musicians, from Don Airey, Jeff Beck, Jack Bruce and Jon Lord to Gary Moore and David Sancious Clap , highly recommended!

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 08:19

Wink

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 09:57
Erik, thanks for bringing Nemezis to my atention and I'll certainly check that cd out. I'm a fan of other Polish Prog like Riverside and Osada Vida so I'm sure it's worth a listen. Smile

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 12:41

It's my pleasure Paul and about Poland, what an amazing progrock fertility Thumbs Up 

This evening I am going to watch the triple Rush DVD Snakes & Arrows, recorded in Ahoy in Rotterdam (in my home country Holland) where I watched Rush two years ago, I am still enjoying the 2112 rendition Clap

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 13:26

Wink 

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 14:11
Nice to see The Tubes and Cozy Powell's Over The Top being highlighted in this thread. 

Interesting to see a recommendation of Schicke Führs Fröhling's live cd. I'm still enjoying the magnificent first two studio albums and I wonder if I should buy the live album as well.  Still doubting if I should try out Eela Craig as well. Maybe I should. Ermm Thanks for the interesting reviews, Erik.

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 14:29
My previous post in the last page seems to have been "lost", but I won't quite it, just to HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the 2008 release ../album.asp?id=18583 - Originallis by Mexican band ../artist.asp?id=51 - CAST

My review is here for anyone interested: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=182697 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=182697

Their Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/cast - www.myspace.com/cast

-------------

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 15:35

Thanks Marcel, I hope The Tubes (see: http://www.thetubes.com/oldstuff.htm - http://www.thetubes.com/oldstuff.htm  ) will once enter Prog Archives, very interesting rock with lots of progressive ideas in their early years. About SFF, their live album is superior to the studio-albums, way more compelling and dynamic Thumbs Up And about Eela Craig ......................  Vintage Keyboard Prog Heaven Approve

Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 18:01
Nemo - Barbares and Il Bacio Della Medusa are on order now - hope to get them soon. I also received The Tea Club's General Winter's Secret Museum. HAve you tried that already?

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 01:54
Assaf, CAST is coming my way
Erik, have you become a Post-Rock fan already?

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 02:47
listening to the Cast now Assaf, seems a no-brainer for any symph/heavy-symph head, I seem to recall talking to you about this a band awhile ago

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 05:00

Prog-jester, I am in the final days of my 16 days holiday (at home) and too euphoric to take a dive into the dark Post Rock music LOL !

Angelo, I will make time to concentrate on The Tea Club, I noticed some reviews on the homepage and about Nemo, I hope you have ordered the 2-CD version with the bonus live disc.

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 08:43

This evening I am going to watch the triple Rush DVD Snakes & Arrows, recorded in Ahoy in Rotterdam (in my home country Holland) where I watched Rush two years ago, I am still enjoying the 2112 rendition Clap

Erik, I received it as an Xmas gift but still haven't got round to watching all of it yet. I'll reserve judgement until I've watched it all.

^ The Nemo cd with bonus disc should be with me monday with a bit of luck, timed perfectly for my return to work after the Christmas break Unhappy. At least it should help lift my spirits and keep me going through these dark winter nights. Smile. Looking forward to hearing it properly.

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 09:23

Well Paul, I am sure you will like the 2-CD version of Barbares by Nemo and I am looking forward to see my Progfarm DVD footage including Nemo published on the Progfarm website. About the triple Rush DVD Snakes & Arrows I would like to say:

RUSH - Snakes & Arrows 3-DVD

http://www.bravewords.com/static/medias/images/news/102198.jpg">
- I am a Rush freak since 1976 when I heard All The World's A Stage, in 1977 I bought A Farewell To Kings and from that moment I was hooked: I bought all their albums until Hold Your Fire, attended Rush their first gig in The Netherlands during the Pinkpop Festival in 1979 and all their following concerts in Ahoy (Rotterdam in Holland) ... except their last one that was recorded live for this DVD because of the tracklist that didn't appeal very much to me. And I wanted to keep my mindblowing memories of the R30 tour in 2007, a pretty personal reason. While watching this Snakes & Arrows triple DVD I am blown away by the jaw-dropping visuals (lightshow, lasers, pyrotechnics, animations), Rush plays very inspired, the renditions of Limelight, The Main Monkey Business (best new composition since YYZ!), Natural Science (goose bumps), Witch Hunt, One Little Victory (new stage favorite?), A Passage To Bangkok and YYZ are excellent, the extra live tracks are great, the inventive animations are very funny, the enthousiastic crowd often freaks out (at some moments close to the Rush In Rio atmosphere) but ......... I have to admit that during DVD-1 my attention slips away a bit too often because tracks like Entre Nous, Secret Touch, Circumstances and Between The Wheels are nothing but pleasant melodic rock, without interesting progressive ideas and the song Digital Man is drowning in a wall of sound, what a pity! The filming on this Snakes & Arrows DVD is the best I have ever seen on Rush DVD's, not that 'hyperactive' as on R30 and Rush In Rio, you get the chance to enjoy Rush live without 20 images in 1 minute but I prefer watching R30 and Rush In Rio, these DVD's capture a bit more the magical spirit of Rush on stage.

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 05:15
I did order the 2-CD version, don't worry, Erik.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:38

Angelo, Progwalhalla Hans told me that your order was the last one in 2008 Wink

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:51
I gotta agree here, TALE CUE and AMENOPHIS are amazing
whatta you doing Erik, I'm listening to prog again...right now!!!11

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 13:12

Haha, Igor, that's the true progrock spirit Clap

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 13:22

Wink

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 13:25

Angelo, Progwalhalla Hans told me that your order was the last one in 2008 Wink

I noticed that too, when fixing a bug in his site.... Smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 13:48

We keep him alive Angelo, each in our own away Wink !

Date Posted: January 05 2009 at 15:19

Wink

Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 07:15

Two interesting new CD releases:

TADASHI GOTO – Innervisions

- In the early Nineties I discovered the Japanese progrock when I listened to bands like Gerard, Ars Nova, Pageant, Novela and Cosmos Factory. I was delighted about many Japanese keyboard players with their jaw-dropping skills and super-bombastic sound, especially Toshio Egawa who played in many bands (like Novela, Gerard and Starless). In the late Nineties I was lucky to attend a Gerard gig during a Dutch progrock festival and blown away by Toshio his ‘over-the top’ keyboard wizardy. But listening to Tadashi Goto (keyboards and drum programming) on his second album Innervisions (after Soundscape in 2005), I have to admit that my Japanese keyboard hero Toshio Egawa sounds pretty subdued in comparison with Tadashi Goto his keyboardwork, way more ‘over-the-top’ and ‘super-bombastic’, what an overwhelming sound! Tadashi Goto was born in 1976 and grew up listening to classical music as a child. He began his musical career playing the organ at the age 5 and by the time he was 10 years old he had begun composing. His recognition for his creative talent grew when he joined the Yamaha Original Concert in Japan. While he was performing with the JOC, he met Yoshihiko Ujihara, professional guitarist and lead guitarist of former member of X-Japan. He taught Goto synthesizers oriented composition and progressive rock. Later, Goto was to meet Donny Schwekendiek, professional jazz pianist from Atlanta who taught him jazz rock. Goto traveled to Newcaslte, NSW, Australia and lived there for 2000 - 2001 and in 2005 he released his first solo album Soundscape, in 2008 followed by this stunning second effort entitled Innervisions.

- The 12 compositions mainly deliver heavy and bombastic atmospheres featuring thunderous drumming, strong bass lines (a wide range of guest bass players, including Tony Levin), blistering guitarwork and dazzling synthesizer runs with a variety of spectacular sounds, incredible! Some songs sound dreamy or more electronic/ambient oriened with a modern keyboard sound and the use of samples, for instance the final track The Spirits Within: a mellow blend of piano, voices and keyboards, halfway a sensitive guitar joines, very beautiful. But in general it’s a breathtaking keyboard driven progressive mix of several styles, very powerful, bombastic and dynamic, I am impressed!

MARTIN ORFORD – The Old Road

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_luLpzL40VkU/SNY_dI2V1-I/AAAAAAAABQU/mrUlHsX6hqo/s1600-h/0oldroadlarge.jpg">

- In the booklet Martin Orford writes that “this is not a progressive rock album”, “it’s unashamedly retro” and “you may think that world has gone forever, but it’s still there if you know where to find it. And I have – I am on the old road”.
- Well, as a huge fan of Seventies Classic Progrock and IQ with the Peter Nichols line-up, I am very pleased with this very tastefully arranged and varied solo album that hosts a wide range of known progrock musicans like Nick D’Virgilio, Dave Meros, Gary Chandler, John Wetton and fellow IQ member Mike Holmes. The sound on The Old Road alternates between melodic rock (Take It To The Sun and Out In The Darkness), a warm solo piece on piano and keyboards (beautiful classically inspired Prelude) and dreamy climates with acoustic guitars and soaring keyboards (Ray Of Hope and Endgame) to compositions that are obvisously drenched into the compelling IQ sound featuring intense Mellotron waves, howling electric guitar runs, Moog Taurus bass pedals and flashy synthesizer flights, especially Grand Designs and The Time And The Season, what a joy! Guitarplayer John Mitchell does a very good job, often in the vein of Mike Holmes with many powerful and moving solos and great interplay with the keyboards like in Power And Speed delivering mighty Hammond organ and propulsive guitar riffs (along an outstanding jazzrock-oriented synthesizer solo). My highlight on this album is the alternating titletrack, from a dreamy intro with twanging acoustic guitar and warm vocals to slow rhythms and bombastic eruptions with majestic violin – and choir-Mellotron eruptions and great interplay between Hammond organ and dynamic drums.
- My conclusion: Martin Orford has pleasantly surprised me and I am sure that many progheads will be too!

Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:51
Hi Erik thanks for those Italian and LatinAmerican posts, you mentioned a lot of albums i adore and that i have not listened for a while. Specially the Germinale one which i love and i think is a lesser known gem of italian prog.

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 13:21

Hola Memowakeman, muchas gracias Thumbs Up Last week I checked my Symphonic Prog Appreciation thread and stumbled upon those cascades of progrock specials I compiled out of my progrock database. By the way, how sad to notice in that thread that fine PA members like Andu and Bhikkhu have left....

About Spanish formation Franklin, it's one of my discoveries of 2008, very unique early progressive rock!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:40
Erik, when can we expect your big special on DPRP about the 100 lesser known bands? I don't want to rush you in any way (take your time, so that it becomes a quality piece), but I am looking forward to it.

Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 16:54
Erik, I share your views about La Maschera Di Cera...what a great album. Thumbs Up

The Martin Orford album is on my list as a high priority so I'll hopefully pick that up in the next week or 2.

By the way, loving the new Nemo album Clap Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 22:09
Erik, in your very first thread-opener, you said:  "... I was lucky to witness Journey on the annual Dutch Pinkpop festival in 1978 during their first tour with Steve Perry..."
I saw Journey at about the same time (they had just released "Infinity.") at an all-day concert in southern CA with ELO as headliner.  I do so agree with you on Journey's first and third albums.  Especially if they had kept with the inspiration of their first album, they might have been one of the great fusion cross-over bands of the 70s...

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:00

Hello fellow progheads and fellow symphomaniacs.

First I would like to thank you all for keeping this thread alive,
                                      I am very glad with your posts and viewing Thumbs Up

Moogtron 'Marcel' III: I am told that DPRP is busy with the lay-out, I hope my special about the 101 new progrock bands will be published in February/March. In fact we are both looking forward to it Wink !

Nightfly Paul: It's my pleasure to inform the longing progheads/symphomaniacs, good to read that you like the new Nemo, do you own the 2-CD version? About Martin Orford: I had read some negative words on the homepage but in my opinion it's both a very professional as a very tasteful progrock album with some great Mellotron eruptions and Moog Taurus bass pedal moments Clap

Prog4evr: Great that you witnessed the Infinity tour too, that was very special and I remember very vividly Neal Schon his many biting guitar solos and Greg Rolie his Hammond B3 work but I was not really pleased with the smooth presentation of singer Steve Perry, a kind of omen that day about Journey's forthcoming polishing of their sound Unhappy Anyway, my favorite Journey album is still their first, I agree with you that this should have remained their musical direction: a dynamic blend of rock, blues, jazz and Heavy Prog, great Clap 

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:30

^ Yes Erik, I did get the 2 cd version of the new Nemo album, limited to just 500 I believe. I'll be investigating their back catalogue this year.

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:46

Paul, good idea to investigate their back catalogue, this year is still very long so time is
                on your side.

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:51
Great review Erik, Thumbs Up no doubt I'll be doing one myself after I have lived with the album a bit longer.

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 14:00

Thanks Paul, I was inspired by their Progfarm 2008 gig, I hope my camcorder
                           footage will be published very soon, it's really worth to be seen Thumbs Up And good
                           luck with writing the Nemo review about Barbares.

On January 22nd I will attend a gig by Don Airey and his band in De Boerderij (Zoetermeer), check out:

DON AIREY - A Light In The Sky (****)

A light in the sky

- This new solo CD by Don Airey was recommended to me by a friend with whom I share a love for vintage keyboards. I have always been a fan of Don Airey who once joined ‘symphonic jazzrock’ formation Colosseum II, who was a guest on the interesting progressive Cozy Powell solo albums (recommended: Over The Top) and who is nowadays a respected keyboardplayer in Deep Purple. During my first listening session I concluded very quickly that my friend his words were true, what an exciting and varied album featuring mindblowing work on the Hammond organ and Grand piano!
- As a huge fan of the very distinctive Hammond organ I was blown away by the way Don Airey let his Hammond organ moan and groan and scream during swirling solos in Ripples In The Fabric Of Time, Space Troll Patrol, Endless Night and A Light In The Sky Pt.2. But also a big hand for his virtuosic work on the Grand piano like in Love You Too Much (wonderful ballad with warm vocals), Sombrero M104 (sparkling with flamenco hints), Into Orbit (swirling duet with a violin) and the strongly build-up final song Lost In The End Of Time (beautiful interplay between electric guitar and a melancholical violin). And what a variety: Rainbow-like Heavy Prog with powerful vocals in Shooting Star (Hammond sound like Jon Lord and a flashy Minimoog synthesizer solo with pitchbend) and A Light In The Sky Pt.2, ‘rockabilly’ (in the vein of The Strays Cats) with Hammond organ in Rocket To the Moon, fiery guitar with a jazzy Fender Rhodes elektric piano in Big Crunch and ambient keyboard sounds in several short songs like Big Bang, Lift Off and Metallicity.
- Especially during the 12 instrumental tracks Don Airey showcases his impressive skills on a wide range of keyboards, what an exciting, well balanced and ... very progressive album!
                                                                                Clap

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 14:32
Barbares is magic - I'll put up a third review some time not too long from now. After The Tea Club and Baku Llama, probably in about 2 weeks from now.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 14:34

Well Angelo, good to read your euphoric words about Nemo and I am looking forward to your reviews about bands I don't know but The Tea Club seems to be very interesting ...  isn't it?

My Friday Evening Progrock Listening Session just began and has started with:

ANGEL - Same

- I had the idea that USA formation Angel their second album Helluvaband was more progressive but today I listened to their eponymous debut LP (1975) and I am delighted this debut album! Keyboard-player Greg Giuffria (who looks like a member of other USA band The New York Dolls) ownes an impressive array of vintage keyboards and he colours almost every of the eights songs very tastefully.

- The album (almost 38 minutes) starts with the hit single Tower (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n07qiAo1lM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n07qiAo1lM  ), this was my introduction to the sound of Angel and I am still blown away by the huge tension between the mellow parts (with flute- and choir-Mellotron and twanging guitars) and the bombastic pieces (with fat Minimoog flights, fiery electric guitar runs and dynamic drums), topped by Frank Dimino his excellent vocals, what a wide range his voice has! Then my highlight of this album, the long composition Long Time (at about 7 minutes): the intro contains violin – and flute-Mellotron, blended with warm vocals, then a slow rhythm with an omnipresent Mellotron along harpsichord  and sensitive electric guitar, halfway interrupted by a powerful break with R&R guitar. Again the vocals lift the song to a higher level! Another wonderful song is the ballad Mariner with warm Grand piano play, emotional vocals, floods of beautiful Mellotron waves and halfway a swinging piano. The other five tracks are rock-oriented but less straightforward than on the second album, I notice more inventive arrangements with exciting vintage keyboards like bombastic Hammond organ, spectacular Minimoog flights and majestic Mellotron waves, especially the final song Angel (Theme) featuring a slow rhythm with all Mellotron sections (flute/violin/choir) and fat synthesizer runs, goose bumps!

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 15:45

Now I am listening to Heavy Prog/Prog Metal with flamenco, both unique as exciting:

TAIFA – Alhambra (***1/2)

Alhambra

- In the late Seventies I discovered the exciting sound of early Triana, from that moment I started my quest for Rock Andaluz bands. During the years I bought the albums of Cai, Azahar, Alameda, Medina Azahara, Mezquita and musical projects like Rock Encounter With Joe Beck by flamenco guitar legend Sabicas and Picasso Portraits by the known flamenco guitarplayer Juan Martin. A few weeks ago I was ‘Googling’ Rock Andaluz and stumbled upon the name Taifa, I got very excited when I read the description of Taifa’s progressive blend of several styles (including flamenco) on their second CD entitled Alhambra (2008). The prime mover of this promising new Spanish progrock band is Luis Massot (vocals, bass and ‘laud’). In the late Eighties and early Nineties he was a member of Elikat (described as ‘melodic metal’ and ‘neo classical hardrock’), this band released a demo (1987), an EP entitled Caught In Love (1989) and the album Electrikat (1991). Then he joined Mr. Cheese in London where the idea to blend rock and an ethnic Spanish sound resulted in the foundation of a new group named Ziryab. A few months later and after many concerts, the band was signed under the new name Taifa by the Spanish label Avispa Records that also hosts the popular Spanish Rock Andaluz band Medina Azahara. Their singer Manuel Martinez produced the first Taifa album Más Allá Del Sur in 1999. The self-produced video clip Guitarra- Espejo De Mi Alma was warmly received by the media and the public. Then Taifa did numerous gigs in Mallorca, Andalusia and the rest of Spain and they joined the Al-Lama festival in Oued Laou (Tetuan-Morocco). In 2004 the demo CD Fe (3 tracks) was released, four years later followed by the second album entitled Alhambra. The trio Taifa recorded it in Mallorca, Andalusia and Morocco and invited guest musicians with different musical and cultural backgrounds who used a wide range of ethnic instruments. Taifa also released a video clip entitled Las Torres De Babel, filmed in the north of Morocco, you can watch it on the Taifa website, to me it looks very professional.
- On the new album Alhambra (10 songs, 42 minutes) Taifa is scouting the borders between heavy metal, Rock Andaluz and ethnic music. Although at some moments the climates are a bit similar, in general Taifa their music sounds as an exciting musical encounter of two different worlds: metal featuring a thunderous rhythm-section, heavy guitar riffs and blistering and biting guitar solos with spectacular use of the wah-wah pedal and the art of the flamenco with sparkling guitar runs (reminding me of Vicente Amigo his splendid work on Medina Azahara their album En El-Hakim), expressive vocals with that typical wailing undertone (to me often evoking Medina Azahara and in the more mellow parts Alameda) and some palmas and cajon. An extra dimension in Taifa their progressive musical stew is the use of keyboards, samples and ethnic instruments like the Andalusian violin. This instrument turns out to be a wonderful combination with the flamenco guitar and a great contrast with the heavy metal guitar and powerful drums in many songs. And I love the captivating duel between the violin and a fiery electric guitar in Mendigos De Una Ilusión. I am also very pleased with the sultry sound of the laud (a 12-string Spanish lute) in the intro of the song Fe. My highlights are the tracks Nunca Es Tarde (from mellow with warm vocals and tender piano to compelling with heavy guitarwork), La Casa Del Olvido (sensational blend of heavy metal climates and the sound of the flamenco guitar and violin) and Por Un Trocito De Cielo (to me it sounds like “Alameda meets Metallica” with emotional vocal parts).
- If you are up to Heavy Prog/Prog Metal atmospheres and a strong touch of flamenco with emotional Spanish vocals (often in the vein of Medina Azahara’s singer Manual Martinez), this adventurous progressive music will appeal to you. I am very curious to the development of this promising new Spanish formation, a big hand for Taifa!

Clap

Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 16:42
I think you should have a listen at The Tea Club, Erik - Iván gave them four stars, and they're not even Symphonic.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2009 at 12:03

See my PM about The Tea Club, Angelo Wink

Date Posted: January 11 2009 at 08:24

Wink

Date Posted: January 11 2009 at 08:31

Date Posted: January 11 2009 at 15:20

And now for something completely diferent Wink :

THE STRANGLERS - The Raven

The sound of this musical chameleon has often appealed to me, from the agressive and energetic early ‘Punk Plus Sound’ to the interesting progressive mid-era. In my opinion it started with the album The Raven that I bought in the LP version with the hologram cover.

The Stranglers were a band that played a lot in clubs and pubs, you can hear that in their sound: they have a raw energy and the interplay between the musicians is very strong. On this fourth studio album The Stranglers deliver 11 compositions in which the band showcases their huge talent as tune-smiths by delivering inventive arrangements, often cynical lyrics about our crazy world, some fine shifting moods’ and a varied keyboard sound: catchy beats with a propulsive bass sound, fluent Minimoog flights and strong interplay between guitar and keyboards in The Raven, Ice, Duchess and Genetix, a mellow atmosphere with tender piano in Don’t Bring Harry, a hypnotizing climate with spacey keyboards, distorted vocals and a tight drum beat in Meninblack and an ominous atmosphere with double bass play in the dark Dead Los Angeles. How ironical a group that is often described as punk band made such a progressive album in the late Seventies when the symphonic rock dinosaurs were artistically close to dead!

Clap

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 02:41
Hello, erik...nice thread and great reviews! Clap

You're surely a Japanese-prog freak!
I guess most of us Japanese don't know Japanese prog because we have a longing for English prog.
Not sticking to a few genres, I wish we could enjoy prog over the world.

Anyway, i've read your thread a little and got full-stomach. Wacko

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 03:43

Thanks Damo for your kind words Thumbs Up ... and for keeping this thread alive Wink !

Halfway 2008 I was asked to join DPRP(the Dutch Progressive Rock Page), I didn't had to think about it for a single second because this was the new progrock challenge I needed, and I am Dutch Smile and one of the founding members Jerry Van Kooten was a fellow reviewer when we worked at Background Magazine in the Nineties. From the moment I became a DPRP crew member I have written specials about Zomby Woof, the Prog Andaluz and recently DPRP has published my special about ....

... 101 lesser known and unknown new progrock bands, see:

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/ - http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/

Posted By: Kestrel
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 03:53

ClapClapClap

It will take me a long time to parse through this but it is exactly what I need, especially with the convenient website links! Thanks!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 04:06
Nice one, Erik, that puts a massive shadow on my Tea Club review of last week.... WinkClap

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 04:12

Thanks Kestrel, have a good time with my reviews and all the link information but
                             keep in mind that my main goal is to keep progheads from the streets LOL !

Thanks fellow Dutchman Angelo and good to remind me in your special way of The Tea Club Wink

Today I got an e-mail from Spanish progrock sensation Albatros, they have a
                              new song on their website, I am looking forward to their second album Approve

My 2008 # 1 New Progrock Album:

Pentadelia

This is genuine progrock: adventure, ideas and excitement!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 04:16
the best Japanese band no one knows about;  Flat 122

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=1000717062 - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=1000717062

http://music.geocities.jp/thewaves2005/ - http://music.geocities.jp/thewaves2005/

been meaning to add them for awhile, fantastic album The Waves

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:01
Erik, been spending some time on your new DPRP article. Great stuff.  There are many bands on there that I have wanted to check out and you having the links on there is wonderful.  The whole thing is something that site really needed to give it that something extra.

Now if I can just get Ken Golden to stock Albatros.

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:08

Thanks John, I hope you will find great bands, so many choices Wacko

By the way, did you say Albatros (watch that cover on my guitar)?

(See: http://www.fotolog.com/psico_albatros/52909371 - http://www.fotolog.com/psico_albatros/52909371  I deserved
                                                       some ego-gratification after my hard work LOL )

And John .... for many years the Laser's Edge catalogue was my stairway to Progheaven, hail to Ken Clap

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:02

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/ - http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/

Great work Erik, what an excellent compilation of lesser known Prog. Clap It makes a great companion and reference to compliment this absorbing thread.

Incidently I see you have Hoggwash in there and was wondering if you were aware of Sunchild, another Anthony Kalugin project that I submitted for inclusion here at PA under Symphonic a few months back (no news yet). I'm sure it's one you'd enjoy and I beleive he'll have his next one released in feb. Here's a link....

http://www.antonykalugin.net/ - http://www.antonykalugin.net/

UPDATE    http://www.caerllysimusic.co.uk/index1.html - http://www.caerllysimusic.co.uk/index1.html

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:15

Thanks for the compliments Paul (I just wanted to switch off my computer but then
                     I noticed your post Wink ) ! I have never heard of Sunchild, I will check out the link.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:22
Erik!!! you mean I've heard of a band that you haven't, I can't believe it ShockedWink That makes a change!

Enjoy the DVD.

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 13:31
Just listened to the Sunchild samples on their website.  I like it!  Kinesis is out of stock on it right now, but I put it on the list.  Should certainly be here on PA.  Thanks, Paul

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 15:53

For those who missed it my post this afternoon:

Halfway 2008 I was asked to join DPRP(the Dutch Progressive Rock Page), I didn't had to think about it for a single second because this was the new progrock challenge I needed, and I am Dutch Smile and one of the founding members Jerry Van Kooten was a fellow reviewer when we worked at Background Magazine in the Nineties. From the moment I became a DPRP crew member I have written specials about Zomby Woof, the Prog Andaluz and recently DPRP has published my special about ....

This evening I watched this DVD:

Interpose+ Live 2008 (11 tracks in Tokyo, Japan + 4 bonustracks, recorded live during Baja Prog 2006 in Mexico), great work on guitar and keyboards (Hammond time) Clap

My latest discovery:

Hopus 33cl.

Smile

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 16:12

I would like to end this evening in style with two excellent, pretty overlooked progrock gems:

WILLIAM GRAY - Living Fossiles

Living Fossils

4 stars This is an Argentine musical project featuring 10 musicians and focussing on three subjects: an album, an audio-visual show and a multi-media website (still under construction). The story on this concept album is about a person called Virgilio who is walking on the streets of Buenos Aires and lives between sane and insanity. During my first listening session I got more and more excited, this is a very alternating and captivating blend of different styles, from compelling and bombastic with some progmetal climates (evoking Ayreon), powerful Hammond runs and fiery guitar to mellow pieces with classical piano and violin, impressive church-organ intro's or folky oriented songs with acoustic guitar and warm English vocals, what a splendid musical adventure!
- I give you some of the many highlights on this CD. First Darkest Side: it starts compelling and bombastic with heavy guitar riffs, orchestral keyboards, violin and fiery guitar, then a mid- tempo with fluent Hammond runs, wonderful violin-Mellotron and powerful guitar followed by a short mellow part with melancholical violin play and in the end a slow rhythm with sensitive guitar and violin. Then the track Fading Points: lots of shifting moods and great ideas with bombastic interplay between Hammond and heavy guitar, blended with sparkling classical piano and heavy guitar runs, very exciting and dynamic! Another great composition is Urban Battle II: after a church-organ intro the atmosphere is compelling with fat guitar riffs and powerful Hammond waves along fiery guitar runs. The parts with dreamy piano, violin and the distinctive bandoneon turn the music into a very captivating experience. Finally the song Urban Battle III: the climate is bombastic with progmetal hints featuring great keyboard work (church-organ, Hammond, Mellotron) and thundering drums. The final track from this breathtaking album is in Argentine style delivering a tango atmosphere with piano and bandoneon, how beautiful with a very moving, melancholical undertone!
- I am sure that many progheads will be delighted about this excellent debut CD, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

NEVERNESS - Cuentros De Otros Mundos Posibles

Cuentos de otros mundos posibles

4 stars This Spanish formation was founded in the late Nineties and in 2002 they released their debut album entitled Horizonte De Sucesos. The it took five years until Neverness produced a successor but if you listen to it, you can conclude that the time was worth waiting, the band has made a huge progress, what a wonderful and often exciting CD!
- The sound of Neverness has no obvious references, every track (between 5 and 13 minutes) on the album contains lots of flowing shifting moods with many interesting musical ideas and a dynamic rhythm-section. A very captivating element is the contrast between the rock-oriented guitar work and the varied ‘vintage keyboard’ sound, from Mellotron and Moog synthesizer to Fender Rhodes piano, Farfisa organ and Solina string-ensemble. I was carried away during the strongly build-up and often very compelling guitar soli like in Muro De Cristal - Maldita Esperanza (from sensitive to fiery) and Sin Horizonte (long and bluesy with great support on strings and organ). Other great moments are the pyschedelic sounding intro during Desde El Silencio (the guitar and organ sound evoke Pink Floyd At Pompeii), the variety and wonderful vintage keyboards (Mellotron, organ and piano) in Mi Mundo Al Reves and the many goodmusical ideas in the captivating final song Mundo De Locos (4 parts).
- I am impressed by this second effort by this new Spanish band, what a good musicians and what a wonderful and often compelling compositions, a big hand for Neverness! 

Clap

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Just listened to the Sunchild samples on their website.  I like it!  Kinesis is out of stock on it right now, but I put it on the list.  Should certainly be here on PA.  Thanks, Paul

No problem John, glad you enjoyed Sunchild.Smile

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:35
Well John and Paul, today Progwalhalla Hans mailed me that he intended to let me review Sunchild but because he knows I am not really a woodwind/brass instruments fan, he decided not to do so. But after reading your positive words about Sunchild in this thread, he has changed his mind, I am curious to the amount of woodwind/brass instruments Wink

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: January 17 2009 at 21:01
 Erik, thanks a lot for your recommendation in Prog Andaluz thread: "That's very good news, senor NoUnaCabezaDeProg, I am sure you will be delighted about the exciting blend of flamenco and 'symphonic jazzrock' on Picasso Portraits by Juan Martin, the interplay is awesome, I am looking forward to your review."

Excellent and very special album! Thumbs Up
Recently I listen to it almost every day. Though it's not easy to write a review. I can hear Juan Martin's style differs from Paco De Lucia or Vicente Amigo. But I'm not a specialist or musician to make valid comparisons. Maybe later, now I'm not ready. "Words don't come easy" sometimes, you know. Wink

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 05:24

That's great news senor NoUnaCabezaDeProg, I am very glad to read that you are delighted about Juan Martin his album Picasso Portraits, it's such a wonderful and adventurous progrock effort, really unique Clap
By the way, I just posted in the Prog Andaluz thread because senor Rosenbach from Mexico had posted in a very pleasant way so for me it's not possible to blend the Prog Andaluz thread with this thread Wink

About my 101 New Progrock Bands article (see: http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/ - http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/  ) in the Dutch Progressive Rock Page, it's incredible how many positive reactions I have received (lots from Holland but also from Spain to the USA), this means that lots of progheads and symphomaniacs are eager to check out interesting lesser known and unknown new progrock bands but you have to present these bands, that's why I am so determined to write about those bands: these are all amateurs who work very hard, mainly in their free time so they can use some extra support for their often wonderful but overlooked progrock.

Good news about Pandora: Progwalhalla Hans (see http://www.progwalhalla.com - www.progwalhalla.com ) told me that their stunning debut album is his best selling item, he has just ordered a new bunch of Pandora albums in Italy.

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 02:28
If you like some of Japanese progressive rock artists, I must tell you 'bout Yonin-Bayashi and Happy End.

Yonin-Bayashi was very famous as a band they could play full of Pink Floyd's Echoes before their debut.
And their first and brilliant album is Isshoku-Sokuhatsu.

Happy End was a group of Japanese great musicians.
Especially their first album "Happy End" (We Japanese call it as "Yudemen") is still now very progressive rock album I think.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 08:51
Great news:
forum_posts.asp?TID=54857 - Senogul announce new album, due February 2009

Also my small contribution to this thread, though it is not very much in line with the rest of the bands in here:

SYLBÀT - Mara

Delicately rocking you

Rock, fusion and Celtic music are on the menu of the French band Sylbàt, which formed in 2006 and has released their first album called Mara in 2008. Bearing a distinct sound, they create an “airy” sort of rock, light-sounding but not light in the effects it has on the listener. Their special fusion sound, with a particular folk/Celtic taste is augmented with a rock attitude (though not a too heavy or dynamic one) that is created by drummer Patrick Boileau and guitarist Hélène Brunet. The special and mostly ethereal sound of Sylbàt can be attributed to the electroharp of Clotilde Trouillaud. It is indeed the instrument that “reigns” here and is the dominant sound here.

10 tracks on the album and while all bear a connection in sound and approach, they all have something to make them distinct from each other, whether it is by the dynamics and intensity (or lack of) or the specific melody they play. The tracks do resemble in the way that they are built, and in the way that they are developed. From a basic concept, melodic line, they are played with and danced around and achieve a higher level of energy, receive an enhanced dose of excitement and are added with more layers and reach a sort of cathartic musical end point, even if a fragile one.

All musicians here are playing very well and the sound is clear and balanced. The album, as I mentioned above, as an “airy” quality, a delicate quality, even when it gets dynamic and reaches heavier notes. There is a well done balanced between the subtlety of the harp and the loudness and more aggressive nature of the guitar as heard on the fifth track Androide. The opposing nature of those two instruments is combined very well not only in the way the song is composed and their playing one around the other, but also in the mix of the album. Transfert is a fabulous track, a very short dynamic melody where Clotilde Trouillaud shows how the electroharp can fit very well in a rock outfit and not only in a folk or classical context. Too bad it is so short and seems as a snippet only and not a full blown track.

Mara is a very enjoyable fusion album that suits very well a relaxed afternoon or early evening. The tunes are mostly peaceful and are beautiful but it does also get more than just that. The album does not lack its share of intricacies, complexities and interesting hooks. A refreshing release; recommended.

EROICA - Hisen The Architect

The name of this band made me think of Beethoven’s 3rd symphony and engaged me to have a listen to their myspace where their entire album was available for streaming. I wasn’t sure what to expect and so was a bit surprised to hear an energetic flow of heavy instrumental rock pouring from the speakers. “This is good”, I said to myself and gave it my full attention up to the end of the stream. As it ended, I immediately played it again; yes, this is one of those albums that made me want to listen to it again right away. Not only did I think it is great music, but the musicianship was as good. Played by the trio of Ben Gram (guitars & effects), Zivi Krieger (bass, lights) and Ben Hoffman (drums, glockenspiel), the album has a rich and full sound and accurately played.

Straddling along the lines of heavy prog-rock and post-rock sounds, Eroica presents an interesting, though not unique, approach at composing intricate and complex pieces of music, filled with dynamics, energy and emotion. Their instrumental brand of rock is heavy and crispy; at times bringing in some post-rock- ish sounds or even a metal-ish attitude, the music seems to be always on the move, as if “looking” where to develop to. It’s not relentless, as there are moments in which the music slows down and gets calmer and even delicate. In the end there’s a good balance of the emotions and intensity the album delivers, making it a well equilibrated listening experience that sits well with me in every situation I listen to it. The balance is also evident in the level of intricacy of the song structure and their various parts; there is movement from simpler patterns and rhythms to more complex and demanding and back again. There is also a good flow between the tracks even when there’s a significant change in the mood (as in the switch from track 4 to 5).

Hisen The Architect is a very impressive debut album by an up and coming band. It’s a great pleasure to listen to this album and I highly anticipate their future recording. In their Myspace page it says: “Eroica aims to please your ears and take you for a ride on their inspirational and triumphant musical roller coaster...” I will attest to that.

TRIBAL LOGIC - Freaky Karma

After the likes of Sendelica, Gdeva and Motherfathers here is another release of a like-minded band, though much more versatile and varied in style. This four-piece band from Chelyabinsk, delivers a fascinating instrumental journey into their musical mind; it goes through different styles and sections, various sounds and moods, shows good musicianship, a cohesive form and an ability to perform well whatever it is that they choose to play.

The first track Detective starts with a spacey-rock and ambient intro and then switches shortly to a jazzy sounding part immediately following it opening the way for the avant-garde influenced section (reminding me somewhat of Roz Vitalis). With all of that in one track (and the same is true for all 4 tracks on this album) the listener gets an enjoyable lengthy instrumental trip as the title suggests.

Their sound is quite mesmerizing and haunting in a slightly eerie but pleasant way. Sounding as if they’re jamming on a pre-conceived theme, the music flows on, as if not going to stop and it incorporates all kinds of styles and sounds (from jazzy rhythms to vintage prog rock sounding keyboards to psychedelic jams to avant-garde sections). The second track Wooden Rain is a good example of the jamming concept; the keyboards and guitar are playing around the main theme with the bass giving a strong and noticeable presence to back them up. This track opens with cool keyboards fooling you to believe this is going to be a 70’s inspired prog-rock song, but it then changes to the aforementioned groovy rhythm and jam. The title of the album is very appropriate here as they do go on a “freakout” with the almost repetitive playing; this could easily serve as chilling music to relax to.

In Freaky Karma there’s a groovy and bouncy rhythm that starts more than a minute into the track. It’s a well done light and jazzy saxophone lead section that then switches to a different segment; a more rock based approach, heavier and more intense with variations and interludes that keep things interesting.

Theoretical Vampiricism has a haunting keyboard theme (organ sound) that both opens and closes this last track in the album. The first segment of this song is in a gorgeous 70’s prog rock inspired symphonic-rock/fusion form; the bass adds a wonderful basis to the sound and the keyboards provide a wonderful “aroma” along with the efficient drumming. Interestingly enough it doesn’t change style as in the other track right away, but after four minutes you can hear that they start to build something else, taking away a bit from the magic and special atmopshere and adding a more jam-like mood (always on the verge but never attaining it). Then at about 7:30 minutes in starts the next section, which flows naturally from the preceding part and which will eventually achieve a minimalistic peak of a solo piano-sounding keyboard which only serves to add to the enchanting feel of this long track. There is much more going about and there’s no use in describing it all. Suffice it to say it’s very well done and this track alone shows very well how flexible this band can be with regards to the sounds they produce and styles they play. Let me just add that the violin and cello that join in later add to the already special experience this tune presents. This is my favourite piece on the album.

Taken together, these four tracks can sound as if played by different bands. The variety here is impressive; but just playing in various ways isn’t enough; indeed there can be too much “noodling” around such as in Wooden Rain. But, they can create elaborate and fascinating melodies; Theoretical Vampiricism is a great example and you’ll find more of those ingredients throughout the lengthy 3 other tracks on this album.

If you’d like a diverse instrumental and experimental album and like long and multi-section tracks, then I suggest listening to these talented guys.

PA rating – 3.75 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

ARANIS - II

It is astonishing what Aranis can accomplish with what seems to be simple music and a lineup of seven musicians. They create music that can be as intense and as powerful as full-fledged rock with a lineup of classical instruments alone. Not only that, but their compositions are as intricate, complex and intriguing as any prog-rock music done by other bands.

One of my first reactions listening to Aranis’ music was that their music sounds like the hybrid of Clint Mansell’s soundtrack for Requiem For A Dream and Yann Tiersen’s soundtrack for Le Fabuleux Destin D’Amelie Poulan. Indeed, this is a valid reference point if one cares to pinpoint the band’s sound. A classical setup that plays music that is as intricate, powerful and poignant as rock (or prog-rock for that matter).

They play with their lovely and catchy tunes, combining the harmonious and melodic with slightly disharmonic tones; they are highly skilled musicians and their playing is not only striking and admirable, it also shows how they must have fun playing since it sounds so… well, playful.

Lovely, compelling and magical, their music captures me, the listener, and at the same time sets me free to wonder in their musical realm, with a guiding instrument, which changes between tracks and within a given track, whether it is the violin, accordion or flute.

Moving, daring and occasionally jovial it is a kind of music I can’t seem to let by unnoticed. Take for instance the tune “Looking Glass” with its wonderful bass playing that sets the tone of the track, the violin and the flute which compete and complement each other, creating tension and resolving it thereafter; the piano then comes in with a lovely solo, introducing “air” into this dense piece; all of the instruments together reach a synergistic effect, such a powerful achievement that I am dumbfounded each time I hear it, bewitched by its beauty and its purity. A brilliant and simple composition that manages to capture the essence of this band in this sole tune and show their whole potential and capabilities. Not only are the tunes beautiful, but the arrangements, the part written for each instrument are such that the potential of each is fulfilled; everyone gets their deserved spotlight, their abilities and ‘usefulness’ reached. Listen to “Kitano” and how each instrument sits well with the others while playing their individual part, mingling perfectly with the others and being well heard over the entire ‘mini-orchestra’.

The tracks on this album vary from the dynamic and fast (“Walk In One’s Sleep”) to the slower brand, more calm and relaxed, yet still as emotional and effective (“Waris”). Their compositions are as dynamic in their structure and intensity as the music is. Going from loud to quiet, from fast and furious to slow and delicate, they cover a wide range of emotions and moods.

Direct, precise and strict, their style can be upfront as in “Turbulentie”; but it is never devoid of emotion and certainly not of passion. Moreover it doesn’t stay that way for the whole piece, as I mention above; the music shifts from climatic to peaceful, from exhilarating to sluggish and sensual. Aranis know very well how to intermingle all these opposing sentiments and atmospheres, make them into a coherent and naturally flowing whole. Nothing sounds forced to me, there is an innate vigor and drive in their music that makes me wish the music would never end. Whether it is in the uplifting segments such as the ‘chorus’ of “Trog”, the gripping theme of “Looking Glass”, the naïve sounding yet elaborate “Lovey-Dovey” or the intensity at the opening of “Kitano” and the ending of “Mythra”. There is always the want for more, the after-taste that begs for more; this is how music should be – compelling you, making you want more, having repeated listening, trying to quench the ‘thirst’.

Playing rock with a classical lineup –this has been said about them (and other contemporaries and country mates such as DAAU). This is a true phrase, but for me it misses the emotional impact that Aranis achieves with their compositions. This album is following in the line of its predecessor and in my opinion is as brilliant if not more. It boils down to a matter of what are the melodies you prefer. Here, there is none that I dislike; each one is wonderful. I absolutely love this album (even more than their first one, but only because I love the tunes here more, no other reason than that). A personal favourite of mine, not just due to its beauty but for all the reasons mentioned above. A must! More than just an excellent addition to my collection.

TIME TRAVELLER - Chapters I & II

Juhani Nisula is a Finnish multi-instrumentalist who I’ve had the pleasure to discover through his Myspace and get to know his entertaining brand of instrumental prog rock. Time Traveller is his project where he writes and arranges all the music. This album called Chapters I & II is the first part in a series of release he envisions. It features multi-part compositions where the keyboards (of various kinds) alternate the lead role with the guitars (all played by juhani); the music flows on uninterrupted, moving from theme to theme, from one temperament to another with each track being distinct from the others by the melody and the instruments that dominate that specific composition. Divided into two chapters, the music is flowing steadily in each of these, advancing naturally from one track to the other, mostly very dynamic and powerful, sometimes blues-like sounding (in rhythm and guitar sound) and at others even a bit of hard-rock like; but mostly the variety, the vast scope and the complexity of this piece as a whole is very rewarding for the prog-rock fan. The variety comes to place as I listen to the music, travelling from heavier segments (track 2) to more peaceful and emotional parts (track 5), from more spacey surroundings (short part in the middle of track 4) to more lush and “symphonic-prog”-like dispositions (middle of track 2), from the more complex type of arrangement to more straightforward rock (middle and ending of track 4, track 5) – all of these are submerged in a rich and enveloping sound. Chapter I is generally less heavy than II (though not by too much) and has a more “old-prog” feel to it, whereas Chapter II is more propulsive (again, generally speaking) and finishes with in a very nice finale that made me wish it would last longer. The occasional use of sound effects adds a special touch to the overall feeling of this album. There are however some moments and melodies which were less appealing to me in their more straightforward approach, more “usual-sounding” guitar lead tunes, but those were not too frequent and I’m sure other listeners will love those. Chapters I & II are a fine instrumental and heavy progressive rock adventure. I’m looking forward to his next release.

CARGO CULT REVIVAL - Snakecharmer 

This album can truly charm snakes

This four piece instrumental band from CT, USA has released so far two albums, of the heavy brand with several underlying elements such as a spacey and psychedelic atmosphere, stoner-rock elements (listen to the last track on Snakecharmer), fusion segments emphasized by the bewitching cello and an overall encompassing and enveloping sound that takes me away while listening to far away places, surrounded by mountains of crushing riffs and deep evoking rhythms and the alternating uplifting or mesmerizing string instrument playing.

The music presents spacey segments and psychedelic elements (“b*****d Son”, “Snakecharmer”), upbeat and energetic melodies (“Divine Machine”), heavy rock with long brooding riffs (“b*****d Son”) and gripping themes (“Snakecharmer”). Their music involved starting with a fixed theme and then veering out from it into new directions, creating exciting new possibilities for it and occasionally coming back to the original idea.

The first track, “Divine Machine”, starts off bouncy and happily with the guitar and electric cello at the front, playing a catchy melody, greatly enhanced by the rest of the lineup. The track has a propulsive rhythm to it, hard to not be gripped by. “Divine Machine” links uninterrupted and very naturally into the second piece, “Whiskey and Hookers”, creating a great flow to the album as a whole. It continues with a lighthearted theme that seems to carry on the mood of the melody in the previous track. It does rock, however, as it gets heavier at parts with crunchy riffs surrounded by cello-fronting moments with its delightful charming and happy sound. This alternation between serious and heavy to more lighthearted and fun is another aspect of Cargo Cult Revival’s special sound.

The title track, “Snakecharmer”, is a 38 minute piece. At its core lies a simple slow spacey droning theme with long and heavy guitar riffs, that is the basis for the explorations and different directions the music takes off from and keeps coming back to. The “take-offs” plunge into more dynamic and quicker terrains, very different from one another; this creates the epic proportions of this track, as you get a variety of musical excursions all interconnected by this core theme. The “excursion” at around 26 minutes and the last one beginning at 30 minutes into the track are beautiful and catchy, hypnotic and even mesmerizing. The last one is the pinnacle of the album with the power it presents and the effect it has on me the listener; a simple, yet evocative melody and dominant line. Well worth the long way it took to get there. This part can indeed charm even snakes as the title of the piece says.

“b*****d Son” closes the album with a noisy, heavy, psychedelic dirty sound, which is moderate in pace but nonetheless energetic and powerful. Though I would prefer ending the album with the title track and not this one, it does fit as a closer as it manages to clear off a bit the effect of the long and hypnotic title track with its more crude and simplistic approach. This is a fun tune with its sludgy sound and the cello part mingles in effortlessly.

Snakecharmer is a highly enjoyable album, recommended if you like instrumental pieces, with a sense of adventure and an experimental edge. Looking forward to more from this band.

RATIONAL DIET - At Work

In 2007 this Belarusian ensemble released their s/t album through Altr0ck and it was one of my favourites of that year and a great album overall. Their quirky style, inspired by classical composers such as Stravinsky and Ives to experimental and progressive rock groups such as Univers Zero has won me over and I was highly anticipating their next effort. Little did I know that it would turn out to be such a brilliant album, which shows a progression from their previous output, going into new direction, trying and experimenting with new routes and possibilities.

The lineup consists of a basic rock unit of guitar, bass, keyboards and drums along with a classical lineup of saxophone, bassoon, cello, violin and piano, giving them a range of opportunities to create a wide musical “palate” of sounds. There are also female vocals on some tracks.

9 tracks and songs are in here, mostly short, or not too long, with a charming atmosphere, beautiful melodies which are surprisingly catchy and at times sound like Stravinsky gone electric. The music is always changing, there is constant experimentation, but not for experimentation’s sake, but to find more ways for the music to advance and achieve another effect, another point in its route of progression, another beautiful peak. The music, while at times can seem chaotic, is always under control, always meticulously performed and orchestrated. The brilliant parts, such as in Pukhow, where the piano seems at times to go berserk, are beautifully in line with the music, gorgeously arranged to lead the music onward, brilliantly composed to sound both out of line and in line with the rest of the band. A track like Dear Kontrabandist evokes the intensity and accuracy of Univers Zero with the madness and oddness of Le Silo. The zany saxophone goes wild while the rest of the lineup is punctually playing allowing its rogue member to express himself. The piano is the basis for this song, giving excellent bouncy and catchy rhythm. The vocals which might evoke a Magma-ian chant fit perfectly with the music. Even the very short tracks like Wet Moss have more meat and power to them than a lot of epic length tracks on other progressive rock albums. Those could and probably should have been longer as they contain great ideas that could be expanded. But if you take Wet Moss together with The Mourners, which is another short track, you might get that exactly. On Closed Case, there is a Miriodor-ian feel, as the saxophone paves the way forcefully with a highly dynamic rhythm section backing it. Then they make way for a calmer yet eerie section where the bassoon, whose sound I love, makes abrupt appearances with the strong section along with the piano creating the spooky and quirky feeling that dominates this part. The alternation between aggressive and passive is another appealing feature in this piece. Ariel’s Last Dream is a violin lead track, more peaceful in nature, but still full of dynamics and passion and fabulous musicianship (as the entire album is). Horse Enemy is yet another gem here, with more Univers Zero and Present influence (at times a Univers Zero and Present on amphetamines), but not only these bands. Also, by now giving those references seems to not do justice to Rational Diet as this is their own sound. Condemned, the centerpiece of this release, is the longest on the album (almost 11 minutes) and is dominated by the “classical” side of the band, with great rhythm provided by the drums, which fit flawlessly with the whole sound and aided by the angry guitar riff as well. There are segments here where the music becomes furious and seems to overflow the speakers and then scatter all over and you hear the various instruments playing chaotically, as if looking there way back to the original path. It is very well orchestrated and so well played that I could think there’s no score here at all and they’re just randomly playing (they might be, who knows?). They then proceed to assemble all the pieces back together and carry on in their original path and the music gets more and more energetic, becomes more and more forceful and insistent and moves forward in a very “cubic” structured manner to the crescendo-like ending. The ending track On Tuesdays is a more peaceful song, with a nice keyboards playing pattern. It goes on cyclically and maintains the same level to the end and it is probably the only track here which remains constant and doesn’t evolve (aside from the sax joining in for a few blurred fuzzy improve-like lines towards the end).

Their music splendidly combines the intensity of rock with the beauty and appealing nature of a classical lineup. The mix of the two as Rational Diet does it is simply astounding. The words Chamber Rock are probably the best description for this music, since they do exactly that. The music they create is diverse, taking from many influences, and will appeal to fans of the aforementioned bands above and fans of this style of music overall. The musicianship is spectacular as is the development of each track and the beauty of each theme presented on all the pieces on the album. The album also presents their manner of being succinct and to the point and not to overdo and prolong segments or whole tracks that do not need it. They do not fall into the needless trap of creating long pieces that tire the listener and for no reason. Knowing how to create an appealing piece of music is an art, and knowing how to not ruin it (by over-doing it) is the other side of this coin. Rational Diet seem to know this “secret”. This album, to me, puts the band on the top of today’s active bands in this scene. This album is one of the best I’ve heard this year and is quickly becoming an all-time favourite. Get it!

FUN MACHINE - Sonnenhuhn

New Jersey based band that seem to not take life too seriously, or at least with much humour. This is also evident in their music, but listen carefully to realize how much effort, work and emotion has been put into it.

Crazy to a certain extent, Fun Machine “produces” music which is, well… fun! Diverse in their output, this band plays dynamic and upbeat music, quite uplifting in its mood, filled with intricacies, small quirkiness and with changes as the songs go on. There is a sense of humour in their music, as well as a driving force that keeps the music’s fast pace and changes as the tracks move on. In the noisy fast parts I started thinking of The Cardiacs; not to say they have the same sound (though it may serve as a minor reference) but in the spirit of the music, in its intensity. I was also reminded of Make A Rising and their special brand of avant-rock mingled with pop elements and Shining’s and The Mars Volta’s super intense and noisy music.

Fun Machine’s music is accessible and catchy. It sounds familiar and yet new and refreshing. It is well played, cleverly composed and a delight to listen to. It is the little intricacies in the songs that add a special flavour to them, make them even more appealing than their basic ideas. Also, the effective interplay of guitar and keyboards, the effects that each one does, provides a wide range of sounds and evoke many different emotions – from aggressive to nostalgic, from sensual to appeasing to sleepy. The sound is very coherent and tight; the complex parts are meticulously done and are a delight to listen to. They do not, however, only focus on making complex and intricate music, but on beautiful and attractive and memorable melodies. Their music writing is very successful in this sense. This is what caught me from first listen, despite the complexity of the songs and the lengths of some. The magic is achieved by efficiently combining those two attributes in their music.

A highly enjoyable album, refreshing and familiar at the same time (at least to me); Recommended, particularly if you like any of the band’s mentioned above and also if you like quirky and hyper active complex rock.

OCTOBER EQUUS - Charybdis

October Equus are battling a sea monster

The third album by October Equus, released in 2008 is named after Charybdis, daughter of Gaia and Poseidon that was turned into a sea monster by Zeus. If one looks at the title of the tracks on the album, he’ll notice that mythological and nautical themes are at use here. This album was released through the RAIG label, who has been delivering intriguing and captivating experimental and avant- rock albums in the last years. It is therefore very fitting that Spanish band October Equus release their album through this label as this is a spectacular example of boundary breaking rock.

Starting in your face with the first track Architeuthis Dux, the band mixes great zeuhlish and symphonic elements in the form of heavy thumping rhythm and rich and lush keyboards sound, respectively. This tune and most others in the album carry a feel of atonality, a whimsy approach and a “typical” RIO- esque and to lesser extent zeuhl-ish characteristics reminiscent of the way other avant-rock and chamber rock bands play (the music and sound of Univers Zero, Far Corner and Yugen come to mind among others). There are also a jazzy element woven into this mix and all of these together make this a fantastic and thrilling album. The opening track in particular is a great example of that with its high energy level and even bombastic quality.

Strong jazzy and zeuhl-ish feel and elements are present in the second track Frozen Sea as well. Composed of a slow and somewhat sludgy, dirty sound and rhythm yet powerful, this track portrays well how, much like the short fast segment in its midst that quickly dissipates back to the original sluggish pace, a sea can shift from being stormy and agitated to being frozen and still.

This album seems to be more daring, more bombastic in approach than its predecessor, keeping in the same path, but expanding on it, making their sound broader, fuller, richer and much more appealing even. There’s an orchestral feel in the album that was not there in the previous s/t album from 2006. However, like in their previous album, the Univers Zero universe of sound seem to still function as a source of inspiration, as a guiding element, though, as I mentioned above, they expand on it, adding new elements to their overall sound to have it more majestic-like; with the orchestration aspect, the chamber-rock feel with the fusion elements and the use of zeuhl-ish pounding rhythms and energy, the band achieves a new level, a new construction of style and sound and make this album better than previous efforts. This album not only mixes styles wonderfully, it sounds as rich and plentiful as the number of influences it encompasses. There is terrific musicianship here, and you can clearly hear all the instruments, and make out how wonderful the play is. For instance the gorgeous keyboards in Architeuthis Dux, the powerful bass in Fata Morgana and the enchanting saxophone in the title track, Charybdis. A good example of how the band works together very well is given with the brilliant chaotic track Forgotten Sirens with its entrancing rhythm. This album puts emphasis on both attractive tunes and on various moods and atmospheres it creates; in this aspect there’s a good balance as some tracks focus more on one (Architeuthis Dux and Trylobites with their relative catchiness) while others on the latter (the appropriately named Abyssal for instance, which focuses on creating a chilling atmosphere).

With 11 tracks culminating at around 46 minutes, this is not an exhausting listen at all and in fact could have used perhaps a few more minutes. In fact, the closing track, Helgoland, could have been prolonged and given a better closure, which as it is feels to me a bit missed.

As I was listening to this album, I got to think about Panzerpappa and their album Koralrevens Klagesang. I did so because like October Equus, Panzerpappa too got much of their influence and inspiration (as I hear it) from (among others) Univers Zero and their ilk of chamber and avant-rock. But, if Panzerpappa took that influence into their particular niche of positive and frisky style creating thus their own sound, October Equus in this album do a similar thing, only in a different direction, building a niche of their own.

An excellent release, even better than their previous splendid effort, this will please fans of the aforementioned styles and bands, and music enthusiasts who like the idea of mingling those influences together to form an OE sound.

Get it!

CHRONICLES OF ISRAFEL,THE - Starborn,Tome I

Dominic Cifarelli, guitarist of the now defunct Montreal band Pulse Ultra, is the man behind the Chronicles Of Israfel project. He starts his solo output with the album Starborn, Tome I, which is a very good heavy/progressive metal release; rich and varied, this piece goes on to cover various moods and styles, from aggressive and fast to slower and emotional yet still powerful and heavy. A concept album revolving around the figure named Israfel which as I’ve read is on a self-discovery journey and goes through various hardships; it is not the only figure in the story as every musician on the album portrays a different character in the story. As I have a legal digital download version of the album I can’t tell you much more about that concept and so can only expand on the musical side, which is the main issue anyway.

As said above, the music is quite varied in styles and moods. I can spot similarities in style to bands such as Pain Of Salvation and Dream Theatre, but not in a clone-like manner. The musicianship is of very high level, accurate and efficient, contributing to the rich and enveloping sound of the album. The 3 first tracks which comprise the three parts of the title track are mostly instrumental and provide a compelling introduction to the album, theme and music. It then moves on to songs with each providing melodic and heavy experiences with fitting vocals (clear, dominant and a little rasp at times). All instruments are well heard (good mix) and represented on the album and the combination of the guitar and keyboards part creates a well balanced multi-layered edge to the songs. The songs are not only thrilling and gripping but complex in their arrangements and intricacies. They also flow very well from one to the next, assisting in the creating the feeling of a continuous storyline.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this release, not having heard of this project before getting the album. However, I must say that this has been a splendid and most satisfying discovery and it’s a great listening experience. Greatly recommended to all those who love melodic progressive metal especially in the form of concept albums.

TIGROVA MAST - Tigrova Mast

Madly creative in the Mr. Bungle and Estradasphere fashion, writing short and packed energetic short tracks that intermingle and flow almost uninterrupted, this album is a fantastic avant-rock pill filled with electronic effects and experimentations that add to the enjoyment I make out of listening to it. This Croatian Trio mingles styles and sounds from (avant-)rock, to electronic to punk, to eastern/Arabic music and other sorts of folk and even all of them together; they do this with only a handful of tools, yet the resulting sound is very effective and convincing. Being a trio, makes all instruments “visible” to the ear and indeed each musician here performs very well; the bass stands out in particular. The tracks being mostly short, I don’t even feel most of the time when they switch or move on as it almost all of the time flows naturally from one to the next. The band members refer to themselves as Gut (bass), Heart (drums) and Brain (keyboards). Indeed the bass playing is raw, aggressive and in-your-face sort of way. The drums seem to be all over the place, filled with passion yet under control. The microkorg is precise and punctual, almost pre-meditated and is a good contrast to the sound of the other two instruments.

What I love about this album is its intensity, the wise use of the instruments as well as the well crafted melodies; they manage to develop both the technical aspect as well as the composition side. The end result is very compelling to my ears. The sound of the keyboards is great; it is very distinct and is used wisely for the different purposes and adjusts itself to each track’s style.

Again, the RAIG label manages to release another fascinating experimental/avant-rock album by a group that deserves the attention. To think this is the first album makes me look forward eagerly to their next album.

To sum this up, what a ride! Frenzy would be a good description… Recommended to fans of everything avant-rock, Ruins, Estradasphere, Mr. Bugnle, experimental rock with electronics and all that is innovative and creative.

MAKE A RISING - Infinite Ellipse And Head With Open Fontanel

Music that words can’t describe

This is a sentence I come across often when listening, writing or talking about the bands and musicians I listen to. Not only is it hard (or almost impossible) to pinpoint then into specific genres (one will almost always not be enough) but to actually describe what they play is a daunting task for me. And this is before I said anything about it being good or bad. In this case, it’s very good. It’s even brilliant! This album has many of what I adore about music. It’s refreshing, original, varied, interchanging, dynamic, explorative and experimental. It’s all that, plus well played, well structured and appealing melodies. That’s it, you can stop reading here and go listen to their music on their website and myspace and listen for yourselves. Or you can continue to read on if you want to know more.

But to come back to the issue, if there ever was a band I couldn’t write easily about, describing their sound and style, Make A Rising would be it. A band that has come to create a sound of their own, which while making some references to other bands, is quite unique and very original in their approach and in their musical output. Filled with contrasts and twists, it is music that I love to listen to as it’s filled with fun – not fun in the sense of goofy or humoristic music but fun in the sense that I feel uplifted listening to it. I am at a loss for words to describe their music; it is music to nicely fit under one tag, no style to apply to describe the myriad of sounds that appear in their albums. Make A Rising create not only a cross- genre approach, but also a great mixing of all of those into something that is rarely, if at all heard.

If asked what other bands come in mind when listening to them, again I find myself at odds; there are no immediate comparisons, but there are certain smaller pieces that I can find similarities to the likes of Time Of Orchis (vocals), Pochakaite Malko (use of folkish-elements and the building of an original and quirky style), Kayo Dot (the atmosphere on some of the songs), Cerebus Shoal (in the oddness and quirkiness of other songs) and even Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (some more theatrical side and also heavy riffing parts). There are other comparisons to be made, but the main point would be that all those references are for specific smaller parts in their music and when looking at it as a whole, they have a great sound of their own.

This being their second album, Make A Rising progresses on from their previous album both in production and in compositional style; the latter is built on what was done in the first album and going on from that point onwards. This album, much like the previous one is made up of songs which flow naturally one to the next, while each one has its own distinct identity. The style and rhythm varies between each song and also within the songs. Not only are those different styles mixing together wonderfully, but they’re done very well. The variety also comes into play in the instrumentation that includes apart from the usual rock repertoire, piano, accordion, saxflute, trumpet, cello, marimba, flute, clarinet and violin. This is well heard in the special theatrical and, for lack of a better word, ethnic sound. There are songs, like “Woodsong Pt. 1”, that have the classical instruments playing alone, adding another great facet to their sound repertoire. The continuation of this track in “Bradford’s Big Boatride” is even better as they electrify the previous part, achieving what is to me their best song here; here they create what is a fascinating and excellent mix of most of the sounds appearing on their album, vocals harmonies, great guitar riffing, classical instruments giving their emphasis, brilliant and catchy chorus, fantastic composition overall combining the best of all they do throughout the album. There is so much going on this a bit longer than 4 minute song that it’s such a joy to listen to. They could practically build a small concept on those 4 minutes alone.

What I particularly like is the contradiction they create with their heavy and complex parts and the quieter parts. It is less used here than their previous album. Their use of the classical instruments in both placements and making them suited to those is also very well done. Listen to how the violin is used in both settings. I also am in love with the complex and abrupt changes of rhythm and style, combining them effortlessly. This album also sees them showing their noise-making and improvisation skills (“How’s ‘bout A Love Supreme”), very well done, and I think they should expand on that as well in the future releases.

The band here shows how skilled they are, and how varied are their influences. They also show that they know how to take a previous achievement (their first release) and improve on it. I have great expectations from their next release based on this.

I feel I haven’t done justice to this wonderful album in my review. If at all I feel I’ve diminished their achievement with my mumblings. This is a fabulous album, one that is already on the top of my favourite albums for this year and is quickly becoming a personal favourite, regardless f year.

More than just 4 stars.

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS - Bantam To Behemoth

A Cyclic Adventure

Last year (2007) Dan Britton said he is starting yet another project called Birds and Buildings that will release an album in 2008. After being very enthusiastic about his other bands, Cerebus Effect (CE) and Deluge Grander (DG) I was highly anticipating this one. He was also very kind to send me this album for reviewing.

Unlike its name, the album does not go from Bantam to Behemoth, but rather starts as a Behemoth and stays as such during the whole of it.

Starting with a high energy rhythm reminiscing of zeuhl, this album goes straight to business. This first track is mesmerizing, passionate and exhilarating. However, there a great deal of variety in this album and you will experience many different sounds, styles and atmospheres before the end of this more than one hour long album. But fear not, this zeuhlish element will come again later on in the album (6, 8).

As rich sounding as the previous albums; as complex and well structured and composed; as varied and enjoyable – this album shows again what a fantastic composer Dan Britton is. I can’t imagine him doing something I will dislike.

The music here shifts and covers many different styles, from the aforementioned zeuhl to jazz and rock; it also covers many grounds in terms of mood – from fast, intense and even nervous to the calm and peaceful; and always beautiful and thrilling.

I hear this album as a mixing of the intensity and style of Cerebus Effect and the grandiosity and epic- ness of Deluge Grander – the sound here is in a way a mixing of the two to create something new.

There are places where the CE sound if very dominant and visible like in parts of the first track Birds Flying Into Buildings and the third track Tunguska. The edgy and frisky keyboards sound pierces through making again allusion to the Canterbury sound. The effect is enhanced by the addition of a saxophone culminating in a marvelous sound painting.

In addition to the music being gorgeous and enthralling, the musicianship here is top notch. Whether it’s the great sax, flute and clarinet playing, the enthusiastic and dynamic drumming (two different drummers on different tracks) and the always captivating keyboards, all is done very well, and always manages to convey the emotions and mental images efficiently.

Speaking of those, listening to the album while studying the art work raised some questions in my mind which I will ask Dan about, but before that let me mention the awesome layout of the album.

The art work inside the album is captivating and as the press notes say, each 3 tracks create a small trilogy each and those 3 trilogies are also intertwined and form a closed circle. This is noticeable in the music which seems to flow from one track to the next and each consecutive track seems to carry some element or pattern from its previous.

This cyclic feature is also portrayed in the inside art work which seem to adjust to the track titles so that each picture depicts one track; the art work is a continuous piece, like the music and it ends where it began (although not exactly if you look carefully) and thus closes the circle. Those pictures can be seen in the Myspace website of the band.

Now back to one of the questions I mentioned, is the appearance of the words Miranda and Spark as mountains in the paintings (think mount Rushmore). Miranda may allude to The Solitude of Miranda the last track from the DG album, August in the Urals. The acoustic guitar reminiscent of a Spanish style in the track Yucatan 65: The Agitation of the Mass might also refer to that track as it had a Flamenco styled guitar playing.

All this only strengthens the mixing I mentioned in the beginning, of the two previous bands sounds – that of DG and that of CE – into one coherent sound that makes up B&B.

Lastly, much like August in the Urals there is much to absorb here. Not only are the tracks long, but the abundance of elements and styles combined with the structure makes it an album to be listened to well several times until one can safely say he knows and understands it.

This album is recommended to those who liked the previous Dan Britton projects as well as to people who like an amalgam of styles and bands like Panzerpappa.

Moreover, this album is highly recommended to all those who want spice in their music, creativity, variety, sophistication, thrill and excitement.

In other words, go get this album!

I will post more later, unless Erik thinks this kind of music is too offensive... ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 12:45

Thanks for your post and keeping alive this thread Thumbs Up

Damo: I have heard a lot about Yonin Bayashi, thanks for the recommendation, I will take a dive into my collection of progrock magazines to read about their albums (especially the French Harmonie published a lot about Japanese progrock in the Nineties.

Avestin: .... " I will post more later, unless Erik thinks this kind of music is too offensive..." Perhaps you can try to make a kind of personal contact with that Erik about it, you never know ...

"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk