Print Page | Close Window

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54797
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 19:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flower Kings Appreciation Thread
Posted By: TheCaptain
Subject: Flower Kings Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 19:57
I'm well aware that TFK don't get as much love on PA as I think they deserve, but gosh darndit, I love 'em. I'll always think I've listened to them too much, but then a song of theirs will come up while I have my music library on shuffle. I always follow this up with another song of theirs that I feel is a good addendum to the first one, then I'll go through my bootlegs of theirs to see if I have a live version of any of those songs. If I do, I'll be forced to listen to it which usually ends up with me listening to the entire show with a huge stupid grin on my face.
I know I can't be the only fan of this incredibly talented group of Swedes so let's show some love for Roine and company.

Replies:
Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 20:07
I love them too, excellent musicians!

My faves are: #1 Space Revolver
                        #2 Adam & Eve
                        #3 Unfold the Future/Paradox Hotel
                        #4 The Flower King
                        #5 Retropolis

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 03:20
ClapClap Well done Captain!!  I've long thought of starting such a thread.

Nice to see my good friend Pablo is first on the scene too.  How are you buddy?

I love The Flower Kings, as do a few others on here.  They seem to be very under appreciated though, which I can't understand.

I would expect progrules and zitro may show up here, amongst others. 

This band is my best discovery EVER.  If I had not found PA, I would probably never have got to hear TFK, and that is a shocking thought.  I have almost all their albums, I'm missing Flower Power and Adam and Eve.  I now have Paradox Hotel but have not heard it yet.  My favourite albums by TFK are:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.. Space Revolver
3.  Back In The World...
4.  Unfold The Future
5.  Retropolis

I really can't believe that no TFK album is rated at 4 stars or above.  For me, they are all better than 4 and a few of them get 5.  In fact, Stardust We Are and Space Revolver both got into my Top 6 albums of all time!

Have a look on prog polls too everybody.  I have posted a new TFK poll there.

Once again, nice one Captain and Cacho.

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 07:28
They are one of my favorite modern day prog bands.  I got so "into" them at one point that I burned myself out on their music from playing them so much but I still slap in one of their fine discs every so often and they never fail to thrill.  Their musicianship is jaw-dropping sometimes.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 08:30
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

ClapClap Well done Captain!!  I've long thought of starting such a thread.

Nice to see my good friend Pablo is first on the scene too.  How are you buddy?

I love The Flower Kings, as do a few others on here.  They seem to be very under appreciated though, which I can't understand.

I would expect progrules and zitro may show up here, amongst others. 

This band is my best discovery EVER.  If I had not found PA, I would probably never have got to hear TFK, and that is a shocking thought.  I have almost all their albums, I'm missing Flower Power and Adam and Eve.  I now have Paradox Hotel but have not heard it yet.  My favourite albums by TFK are:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.. Space Revolver
3.  Back In The World...
4.  Unfold The Future
5.  Retropolis

I really can't believe that no TFK album is rated at 4 stars or above.  For me, they are all better than 4 and a few of them get 5.  In fact, Stardust We Are and Space Revolver both got into my Top 6 albums of all time!

Have a look on prog polls too everybody.  I have posted a new TFK poll there.

Once again, nice one Captain and Cacho.

I'm fine, thank you Roger, how are you?,

I still need to get Stardust, Flower Power and Rainmaker. 

I'm going to have lunch now, I will post my top 5 songs of the Flower Kings later, hope you do that as wellSmile

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 09:33
^ I will do even better.  Here's my current Top 10, subject to regular change:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.  I Am The Sun
3.  The Merrygoround
4.  Retropolis
5.  Monster Within
6.  Circus Brimstone
7.  Back In The World Of Adventures
8.  Silent Inferno
9.  Rumble Fish Twist
10. Theme For A Hero

Pablo, have a look at my new TFK poll, and cast your vote.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 09:52
Count me in with those PAers that are fans of Roine Stolt and The Flower Kings and their offshoots.  I'm currently spinning Karmakanic's Entering the Spectra, which is of course Flower King related.  And to think that I have Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy to thank for my fandom via Transatlantic, possibly the most awesome supergroup ever (although ELP kind of have a stranglehold on that title LOL).  I am a huge fan of all of the feeder bands into Transatlantic: TFK, Marillion, Spock's Beard, and Dream Theater.  I have also had much luck with most of TFK's band members' solo albums and side projects.  TFK were definitely an awesome find that has led to many excellent albums. 

Although, I must say I have neglected them a bit lately, which I must remedy shortly.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:05
Well Scott, having seen the reviews of Karmakanic's latest album, I have ordered it and very much look forward to giving it a spin. 

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:11
They made a stunning debut album. It's in fact the only album of theirs I listen to still, mostly Go West Judas. The guitaring is phenomenal. During my symphonis phase however, my favourite albums were probably Space Revolver and Paradox Hotel. A really great bunch of musicians

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 15:06
My favorite songs off each disc of theirs I own

The Blade of Cain - Adam & Eve
Church of Your Heart - Alive on Planet Earth 1
Big Puzzle - AoPE 2
Theme For a Hero - Back in the World of Adventures
BetchaWanna (Daytripper) - BetchaWannaDanceStoopid!
Astral Dog/Hellhound - Brimstoned In Europe
Kite - Edition Limitee Quebec
Garden of Dreams (Love is the Word) - Flower Power 1
Calling Home - FP 2
The Truth Will Set You Free - Meet The Flower Kings 1
Stardust We Are - Meet TFK 2
Pioneers of Aviation - Paradox Hotel 1
What If God Is Alone - PH 2
Red Alert - The Rainmaker (I don't care if it is a little more than 1 minute. I loved it when I first heard it and was absolutely devastated when it ended so abruptly)
Retropolis - Retropolis
World of Adventures - Scanning the Greenhouse
Monster Within - Space Revolver
Poor Mr. Rain's Ordinary Guitar - Stardust We Are 1
Ghost of the Red Cloud - SWA 2
Love Is the Only Answer - The Sum of No Evil 1
The River - TSoNE 2
Vox Humana - Unfold the Future 1
Grand Old World - UtF 2
The Sounds of Violence - The Flower King (I know it's technically a solo release from Roine but it is The Flower Kings)
Bizarre Seahorse Sex Attack - Hydrophonia (Well I included one other solo Roine release so why not this gem?)

I consider all of the above songs perfect.
I may have cheated in a few places by copping out and using a live version thus allowing 2 songs from the same disc on the list. Don't judge me. It wasn't easy to pick a favorite for any of the discs and some were downright impossible so I picked randomly.

Posted By: Altair
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 17:10
Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 17:12
Check out their streaming tracks here on PA and see what you think.  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=110 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=110  

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 18:53
OK thanks, I'll have to check that out. I was thinking more of a particular album that might be a good place to start as well? Perhaps any would be good, I'm not sure.

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 19:27
It really depends on what you're into. If you like a jazzier sound, I suggest "Unfold the Future." Otherwise "Space Revolver" or "Paradox Hotel" are excellent places to start your Flower Kings journey.

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 20:07
I didn't much care for their latest offering, although it did have some fantastic moments. However, I was sold when I finally heard Unfold The Future. Excellent album! And I think Jonas Reingold deserves a shout for that one. Right now I'm looking for Space Revolver because I've heard that's the one for me to go to next.

Date Posted: January 17 2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

It really depends on what you're into. If you like a jazzier sound, I suggest "Unfold the Future." Otherwise "Space Revolver" or "Paradox Hotel" are excellent places to start your Flower Kings journey.

Cool thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll seek out Space Revolver and go from there Cool

Date Posted: January 17 2009 at 21:04
Report back once you give Space Revolver a listen and hopefully the world will have one more TFK fan.

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 06:13
Hi Altair.

I can only back up the recommendation of Space Revolver, it is an amazing album.  I also found it very immediate too, I loved it from the first spin.  You can probably guess by my avatar that it is one of my favourite albums of all time Approve.

I began my Flower Kings journey with Stardust We Are, which I picked based upon the reviews on PA.  I was not disappointed, as unbelievably, that is even better, although not quite as consistent as Space Revolver.  

Keep us informed Altair.

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 06:51

Smile

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 11:28
Originally posted by Altair Altair wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

Back in The World of Advenures or Stardust We Are would be both be appropriate starting points.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 20:30
I was listening to some Paradox Hotel today and got to "Lucy Had a Dream" (excellent song). Now it's been a while since I last heard this song and I forgot how ridiculous the ending is.

You'll be going on vacation. See, the thing is, if you about to be about this biotch, check it. Beep delta. We be flying all over this bitch. Let me axe you something. You fend(?) to raise up and get yo travel on?
From the interior to the exterior, you got to get yo posterior in one of deese big ass planes.You layin the cut straight sittin on yo ass and gettin yo drink on and yo snack on.

TFK is so white, I love it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:00

Report back once you give Space Revolver a listen and hopefully the world will have one more TFK fan.

Well, I gave Space Revolver a listen from beginning to end and I must say that I was blown away. I can't believe how intense, epic, and amazing that album is! Quite impressed and pleased to say the least. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hi Altair.

I can only back up the recommendation of Space Revolver, it is an amazing album.  I also found it very immediate too, I loved it from the first spin.  You can probably guess by my avatar that it is one of my favourite albums of all time Approve.

I began my Flower Kings journey with Stardust We Are, which I picked based upon the reviews on PA.  I was not disappointed, as unbelievably, that is even better, although not quite as consistent as Space Revolver.  

Keep us informed Altair.

Thanks for the reinforced recommendation, I love what I've heard so far from them. I think Space Revolver was a good place to start. I can see why its your avatar Thumbs Up

I will probably seek out Stardust We Are next, and look forward to hearing it.

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:03
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Back in The World of Advenures or Stardust We Are would be both be appropriate starting points.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go for Stardust next, but I plan to hear all of their records eventually.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:23
I love TFK, one of the most epic bands ever. Albums in order of preference:

1. Unfold the Future
2. Retropolis
3. Back in the World of Adventures
4. Space Revolver
5. Stardust We Are
6. The Flower King
7. Flower Power
8. The Sum of No Evil
9. The Rainmaker
10. Paradox Hotel
11. Adam & Eve

Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:33

Well, I gave Space Revolver a listen from beginning to end and I must say that I was blown away. I can't believe how intense, epic, and amazing that album is! Quite impressed and pleased to say the least. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hi Altair.

Keep us informed Altair.

Thanks for the reinforced recommendation, I love what I've heard so far from them. I think Space Revolver was a good place to start. I can see why its your avatar Thumbs Up

I will probably seek out Stardust We Are next, and look forward to hearing it.

I'm ecstatic that you seem to be on your way to becoming a fan of The Flower Kings. I think that they have a sound that should appeal to many people if only they got the chance to hear the band.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2009 at 03:21
Well done Altair, you certainly didn't waste any time!  I'm really glad you like the album.  It's a classic. 

Keep us informed once you get any more.  Stardust We Are is more expensive, being a double, however it is well worth it.  Most of the album is great but the 25 min. title track is AWESOME, a wonderful piece of music.

Posted By: bassman4
Date Posted: January 23 2009 at 22:20
Wow ! I'm in the middle of studying TFK.  So far... Unfold The Future and Space Revolver are my favorites.
 tunes on my compilation cd...
                                                    The Truth Will Set You Free
                                                     Black and White
                                                     Monkey Business
                                                     Rollin The Dice
                                                     Don Of The Universe
                                                     I Am The Sun part 2
                                                     Chicken Farmer Song

Date Posted: January 24 2009 at 12:37
Good list with plenty of my favorites from UTF, and Space Revolver. I recommend listening to Stardust We Are some more as there are plenty of other gems on there in addition to Don Of The Universe. 

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: January 25 2009 at 11:29
I discovered them with Space Revolver in 2000 and quickly bought the back catalogue and everything since. To this day they remain one of my favourites of the newer Prog bands. The Sum of No Evil was a great return to form after for me at least, a couple of patchy cd's.

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 07:55
Looks like Roine has been working on a side project as of late.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=130307592&blogID=467533284

It's got Pat Mastelotto, Zoltan Csorsz (yay!), Jimmy Keegan, Jonas Reingold, Biggo Zelfries (new pianist), and Nad Sylvan.

I wish Roine wouldn't make so much music because I am a helpless fanboy and will buy anything he's a part of. Plus I have to be saving up for Nearfest this year.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2009 at 20:40
I love this music.  more is good ! Smile and if I might add ...as suggested ,Stardust has great all over it.Clap

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 08:01
Hi fellow Flower Kings appreciators Smile.

Whilst TFK are synonymous with their symphonic work, and particularly the epics, they do like to throw in the occasional more straightforward rocker.  I was wondering which of these was most popular.  I'm quite partial to Paradox Hotel (from my most recent TFK acquisition) but my favourite just has to be the superb Sword Of God, from the much-maligned Rainmaker album.  What a track that is, the chorus is just outstanding, and the instrumental section is great too.  What does everybody else think?

Incidentally, IMHO, Rainmaker is a fine album.  I'll admit it's not their best, but there's some wonderful music on there.  I know some people really like the album, but generally it's not popular at all. 

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 08:09
^my favorite from the rockers, is Kings Prayer. Unless you don't consider it a rocker, then Life Will Kill You it is.

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 19:48
There are few things by The Flower Kings that I would call a "standard rocker" while there are undoubtedly simpler songs. So with that in mind, my vote goes to Monkey Business.

-------------

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 02:52
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

1. Monsters & Men  5+*
2. Garden of Dreams 5+*
3. Humanizzimo (actually Roine solo but we all know this is justified) 5*
4. Stardust we Are 5*
5. Devil's Playground 4,75*
6. I am the Sun pt.1 4,75*
7. Judas Kiss 4,75*
8. In the Eyes of the world  4,75*
9. Merry go Round  4,75*
10. Touch my Heaven  4,75*
11. The Truth will set you free  4,75*
12. Dissonata  4,75*
13. Retropolis  4,75*
14. Go West Judas  4,75*
15. Life will kill you  4,75*
16. Love Supreme  4,75*
17. Road to Sanctuary  4,75*
18. Big Puzzle  4,75*
19. Driver's Seat  4,75*
20. Love is the Only Answer  4,75*
21. Monster Within  4,75*
22. The Sum of no Reason  4,75*
23. Silent Inferno  4,75*
24. One More Time  4,75*
25. Deaf Numb & Blind  4,75*
26. Minor Giant Steps  4,5*
27. There is more to this World  4,5*
28. A King's Prayer  4,5*
29. Slave to money  4,5*
30. Serious Dreamers  4,5*
31. Kingdom of Lies  4,5*
32. Painter  4,25*
33. Astral Dog  4,25*
34. Last Minute on Earth  4,25*
35. I am the Sun pt.2  4,25*
36. Rumble Fish Twist  4,25*
37. Church of your Heart  4,25*
38. Road Back Home  4,25*
39. Flora Majora  4,25*
40. Magic Circus of Zeb  4,25*
41. World of Adventure  4,25*
42. Magic Pie  4*
43. Theme for a Hero  4*
44. Life in Motion  4*
45. Blue Planet  4*
46. Pioneers of Aviation  4*
47. City of Angels  4*
48. End on a high Note  4*
49. Genie in a Bottle  4*
50. Black and White/Just this once  4*

Hope to have made up for my way overdue reaction. TFK rulesssssssssssssssssssssssss for sure !!!

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 12:24
Wow. One day I will make a list of my top 50 TFK songs to rival that act of sheer fanboyism.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 12:34

There are few things by The Flower Kings that I would call a "standard rocker" while there are undoubtedly simpler songs. So with that in mind, my vote goes to Monkey Business.

Ah, Monkey Business is one of the finest of simpler songs of The Flower Kings, Jonas rules in that song!

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

Clap Very nice post Henk, hope you are well. 

Don't worry I think your position is safe, although we do have a nice fan club building up here.  Roland 113, The Captain and Cacho are all big fans, amongst others.

A great list, but that is like kicking in the proverbial open door as you say.  I'll try and do a top 20 myself soon.

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:14
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Ah, Monkey Business is one of the finest of simpler songs of The Flower Kings, Jonas rules in that song!

Seconded (thirded?)

Monkey Business is indeed a great song.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:34
I've been really getting into Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003
The Truth Will set You free - all 31 minutes is truly awesome.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 07:31
Good morning all,

I had apparently missed this thread until Roj pointed it out to me (Thanks buddy).

Simply put, The Flower Kings, over the past two years, have become one of my top two favorite bands and are the only band that I'll put in the same class as Genesis.  I believe my listening history in my signature will offer the proof, and frankly, if I could get my dang iPod to synch up with LastFM there would probably be about 500 additional listens.

How did I discover The Flower Kings?  About three years ago, I quit smoking (seriously, this comes into play) and was still listening to mostly electronica.  Genesis was still my favorite band all time, but I rarely listened to them at that point in my life.

About two years ago, I was getting bored with electronica and set up a play list that would randomly play anything on my computer that had never been listened to.  As fate would have it, the computer stumbled on to the overature from Metropolis (the album).  That spurred me on a Dream Theater kick, so for a while I started listening to a lot of Dream Theater in the car.  Around the same time, a the Genesis reunion tour was being organized which put me on a Genesis kick as well.

For the better part of a month I was listening to Genesis and Dream Theater almost exclusively and came to a startling realization in there.  My voice had returned.  After being off cigarettes for a year, I was finally able to carry a tune again.  No more breaking into hacking fits after every three notes.

From there my new appetite for Prog grew exponentially.  iTunes started me on the right foot by doing the 'If you like Dream Theater, then you may enjoy Spock's Beard, Transatlantic or The Flower Kings'.

In very short order, I found iTunes to be dead on.

Over the next two years (also the last two years) I've managed to acquire the entire studio catalog of Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings.  The Kings have risen above the other bands because I've never gotten burnt out on them.  I can still listen to 'I Am the Sun' for the 160th time and enjoy it as much as the first (I still sing the beeginning of part 2 to my one year old when I put her to sleep every night).

ok, now that I've done the first part of my life story, I'll get back to work and post a little more this evening.

Either way, love the band, love the thread and currently, I'm loving 'Unfold the Future'

Roland

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 14:54
I should get a last.fm account if only to keep track of how much time I spend (arguably waste) listening to music.

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 08:40

Don't worry I think your position is safe, although we do have a nice fan club building up here.  Roland 113, The Captain and Cacho are all big fans, amongst others.

A great list, but that is like kicking in the proverbial open door as you say.  I'll try and do a top 20 myself soon.

Thanks buddy and you know that I was just teasing you with Cacho and the where's Roger thing. That leaves us only the where's Zitro subject. Where is he ? It's easy to say there's less competition for the no.1 spot without him but it also means a guy less for the fanclub and I think that's more important.
By the way, Cacho and you are great competition too with your shower of topics and threads about TFK.
I'd better watch out.  Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 18:51
just recently heard Rain Maker and The Sum Of No Evil ,both are keepers.

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:11

Thanks buddy and you know that I was just teasing you with Cacho and the where's Roger thing. That leaves us only the where's Zitro subject. Where is he ? It's easy to say there's less competition for the no.1 spot without him but it also means a guy less for the fanclub and I think that's more important.
By the way, Cacho and you are great competition too with your shower of topics and threads about TFK.
I'd better watch out.  Shocked

LOLGlad I'm considered a big fan of them around the forumEmbarrassedSmile

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:19
I suppose I need to prove my worth as a Flower Kings fan (not like I created this thread or anything...Tongue).

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:21
^Ha, don't worry man, I count you in! Just provide some 5 star reviews by them and you're in!Tongue

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:32
I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. I am, however, giving up music for Lent (the next 40 days in a few hours) as a dare, not for religious reasons so there won't be any from me for a while. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 03:19

I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. 

Don't worry, Captain, you are in, big time!!

Good idea re: the review for UTF, a definite 5-star in my book too.   I really must review some more FK albums, it's just I really struggle to find the time.

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 12:38

I suppose I need to prove my worth as a Flower Kings fan (not like I created this thread or anything...Tongue).

You're quite right here. No offence, sir ! It's just that Roj and Cacho and I have a bit of history in another TFK thread. But I'm very glad to see the club expanding. The more people the more fun ! And TFK can use more real fans. Most of their albums have less than 100 ratings, which is a shame of course.

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 20:45

I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. I am, however, giving up music for Lent (the next 40 days in a few hours) as a dare, not for religious reasons so there won't be any from me for a while. 

*blinks* huh?

Giving up music for lent on a dare? 

Seriously, in the words of Nancy Reagan "Just Say No"

No way I could give up music for a month, let alone forty days, seriously, even if I was on a desert island, I'd be singing most of the time.

Good luck,

Roland

PS, if you haven't nominated any songs, I have a FK poll going for best FK song.  Round one is active...nominations.  Round 2 involves voting on the most highly nominated songs.

-------------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 20:58
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

*blinks* huh?

Giving up music for lent on a dare? 

Seriously, in the words of Nancy Reagan "Just Say No"

No way I could give up music for a month, let alone forty days, seriously, even if I was on a desert island, I'd be singing most of the time.

Good luck,

Roland

PS, if you haven't nominated any songs, I have a FK poll going for best FK song.  Round one is active...nominations.  Round 2 involves voting on the most highly nominated songs.

I already accidentally listened some music in less than a day. I got on my computer and through habit I opened iTunes and started playing music. I realized what I was doing after about a minute of music. In order to prevent this from happening again I got rid of all music shortcuts that I might accidentally click. I did not realize how tough this would be so I added a monetary wager with a friend to help keep me clean, so to speak.

And I just got back from adding a few nominations to the poll, most of which have already been mentioned.

-------------

Posted By: Eraserhead
Date Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:41
The only Flower Kings album I've heard is Retropolis, but it is fantastic!

-------------
In heaven, everything is fine

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 11:11

Well guys, I am off on a weeks holiday from tomorrow, some well deserved R n R coming my way.

As I can be found on this thread very frequently, just in case my absence is noted on here, you now all know where I am Wink, far from a pc and internet cafe, lying on a sun-drenched beach Approve.

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 12:22
Currently listening to Stardust We Are, which I was gifted with by a non-prog fan about a couple of years ago (I had it on a wish list).  I like it, but it hasn't turned me in to a fan and given me the urge to get my hands on as many other albums as I can.  I'm game though.  What should I check out next?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:22

Well guys, I am off on a weeks holiday from tomorrow, some well deserved R n R coming my way.

As I can be found on this thread very frequently, just in case my absence is noted on here, you now all know where I am Wink, far from a pc and internet cafe, lying on a sun-drenched beach Approve.

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Hey Roj,

Enjoy the vacation and try not to get too burnt from the sun.

Roland

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Currently listening to Stardust We Are, which I was gifted with by a non-prog fan about a couple of years ago (I had it on a wish list).  I like it, but it hasn't turned me in to a fan and given me the urge to get my hands on as many other albums as I can.  I'm game though.  What should I check out next?

Slarti,

Normally I suggest Space Revolver to anyone that hasn't picked it up yet, though if Stardust isn't doing it for you then you may want to try Paradox Hotel first.  Unfold the Future is great as well, though it's a lot more jazzy then the rest of their work.

Enjoy

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:53

Slarti,

Normally I suggest Space Revolver to anyone that hasn't picked it up yet, though if Stardust isn't doing it for you then you may want to try Paradox Hotel first.  Unfold the Future is great as well, though it's a lot more jazzy then the rest of their work.

Enjoy

I haven't heard Stardust, but heard the sample here, so as far as I'm concerned, if Stardust didn't click you, then don't check backwards.

I would say Space Revolver or Unfold the Future, that is if you like a good mix of symphonic and jazzy leanings. If you don't, then like Roland suggested, check Paradox Hotel or Adam & Eve.

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:54

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Have a great time there Roger, enjoy!

Will miss ya, here in the TFK Appreciation thread

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 16:57

Paradox Hotel would be my recommendation followed by Space Revolver. It's a little hard to give a sufficient recommendation since you haven't said what you didn't like or did like about Stardust We Are. I do think that Paradox Hotel is probably the most different from Stardust We Are while still be excellent.

Also, Cacho, nice new avatar. Although I did like the eye-catching orangeness of the last one, I approve of John Lord.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 17:12
^ah thanks buddy, the other one was Ashra's Blackouts, a Krautrock album, it's really spacey and quite electronic, love it to use when I go to sleep, it's perfect.

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 19:24

Also, Cacho, nice new avatar. Although I did like the eye-catching orangeness of the last one, I approve of John Lord.

Agreed, though I must say, John Lord does have kind of a Ringo look going for him.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 19:48
^Ah, certainly, Ringo in his late days with The Beatles, but have in mind Jon Lord had that look from the same time in 1968. So..

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 20:22

Unfold The Future made a believer out of me Big smile

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 20:57
Hey ,since we are all TFK fans here , might I pause to tell y'all how cool it is to be hangin with like minded.?
This band is consuming all my listening time. I listen to The Rainmaker in the morning on my way to work.
I think about tunes from UTF and Space Rev all day long,then I get home and listen to Paradox Hotel. I can't seem to get my fill.
I made a excellent compilation disc :Cosmic Lover
                                                                  Chicken Farmer Song
                                                                  Rollin The Dice
                                                                  I Am The Sun p2
                                                                 Monkey Business
                                                                 Don of the Universe
                                                                 The Truth Will Set You Free
 you have one ?

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 21:05
^I haven't, yet, but here is how it would be, somehow:

1. I Am The Sun (Pt 1) (15 min)
2. The Flower King (10 min)
3. Timelines (8 min)
4. Minor Giant Steps (12 min)
5. A Kings Prayer (6 min)
6. Life Will Kill You (7 min)
7. Silent Inferno (14)
8. Underdog (5 min)

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:07
I am looking forward to hearing Adam and Eve [ just ordered ]  cant believe I haven't heard The Flower King yet
either . But when I get them here ,I'll burn a cd so I can get another fans perspective. What a great band .

Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:50
Great lists Bassman and Cacho.  If I had to go with one compilation disc, I'd go with:

Serious Dreamers (9 minutes)
I Am The Sun (26 minutes)
Minor Giant Steps (12 minutes)
Devil's Playground (25 minutes)
Life Will Kill You (7 minutes)
Mr. Hope Goes to Wall Street (2 minutes)

It's close to a disc, a little over maybe, so I guess what I'd do would be throw Mr. Hope on to Disc 2 which would look like this:

Mr. Hope Goes to Wall Street (2 minutes)
Stardust We Are (25 minutes)
World of Adventures (14 minutes)
There Is More To This World (10 minutes)
Flora Majora (7 minutes)
Stupid Girl (7 minutes)
One More Time (13 minutes)

Great band.

-------------

Posted By: Nov
Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 09:17
Hi

I'm Nov and decided to sign on here as I like what you say about TFK Wink

I had typed out a long introductory post but the whole lot just got trashed Cry

Anyway, suffice to say that I'm a massive TFK fan and would say that they are definitely my favourite band from the last 20 years or so.

There are a couple of MASSIVE TFK threads on the Genesis forums that I contribute to, one of which is 240 pages long!! Here: http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095 - http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095

So, there's lots of love for TFK in Genesis circles Wink

That'll do for an introduction so I'll head of and contribute to the poll Wink

Cheers

Nov

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:14
Thanks for all the recommendations.  You know, oddly enough my first encounter with TFK was their cover of Cinema Show on a Genesis tribute album.  I just listened to it and am a little pissed off.  They did a good cover but on the CD it was faded out prematurely, severely prematurely.  Not their fault of course.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:58

Thanks for all the recommendations.  You know, oddly enough my first encounter with TFK was their cover of Cinema Show on a Genesis tribute album.  I just listened to it and am a little pissed off.  They did a good cover but on the CD it was faded out prematurely, severely prematurely.  Not their fault of course.

Slarti,

I had the same tribute CD and surprisingly enough, much the same reaction.

I stewed in my irritation for quite a few years until they released 'The Road Back Home'.  The full version is on there and you can buy the MP3 from Amazon for a buck.

Enjoy,

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 17:59
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Hi

I'm Nov and decided to sign on here as I like what you say about TFK Wink

I had typed out a long introductory post but the whole lot just got trashed Cry

Anyway, suffice to say that I'm a massive TFK fan and would say that they are definitely my favourite band from the last 20 years or so.

There are a couple of MASSIVE TFK threads on the Genesis forums that I contribute to, one of which is 240 pages long!! Here: http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095 - http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=obands&action=display&num=1172705095

So, there's lots of love for TFK in Genesis circles Wink

That'll do for an introduction so I'll head of and contribute to the poll Wink

Cheers

Nov

Welcome to you Nov, you're in good company of many a FK aficionado here.  I'll have to check out the Genesis forum that you speak of.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 18:12
OK, time to throw a thank you to both Nov and Ommadawn.  You both had lists of nominations in my favorite songs poll that had a lot of similarities to mine, the biggest difference is that I didn't have 'Big Puzzle'.  Back in the World is one of the Flower King albums that I'm least familiar with, mostly cause I got it relatively recently.

So I made a point to listen to 'Big Puzzle' while I was making dinner...what a fantastic song, thank you both for turning me on to it.

Roland

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2009 at 21:36
I just received Meet The Flower Kings dvd.  I love it. I think this is a must have for any TFK fan  . No kiddin , this is a GREAT dvd. I would love to see these dudes live but, ... I don't know if the oppertunity will present itself.

Date Posted: March 03 2009 at 22:00
My first introduction to The Flower Kings was Meet The Flower Kings (cd version). I was blown away by the first few seconds of marimba on The Truth Will Set You Free. I later got the DVD really liked it too. Roine looks so weird with the long hair and it really is the ultimate Flower Kings lineup. I luckily had the pleasure of seeing them live last year at 3RP. I sank about $100 in TFK merchandise alone (Fan Club CDs, and shirts) then got to meet them all and shook the hand of every member of the band. That last part required me staying about half an hour or so after they finished.  Then I got to drive to school for 3 hours after that (about 2-3:30, then slept for a couple hours, then another hour and a half driving). It was totally worth it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 09:29
Captain,

Heh, that was an amazing concert, The Flower Kings put an amazing show on.  Are you going again this year?  No Flower Kings, but Glass Hammer, Phideaux, IQ, Singularity and It Bites (plus a few more). 

It looks to be a great show this year as well.

Roland

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 17:18
I'll see how it works out. I have only heard one album from those bands and that is The Inconsolable Secret by  Glass Hammer. Maybe if I into any of those bands I'll consider it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 19:34
Both Singularity and It Bites are amazing (imho), Phideaux is great, IQ is great Glass Hammer is great.  King's X is headlining it, I don't know if I consider them prog but they're headlining none the less.

Just out of curiosity, at last year's prog festival, were you studying for a new class that you had to teach on the breaks?  We (wife and I) ate lunch with with someone from Ohio who was bemoaning the drive back as he was about to start teaching a new class.

Roland

PS, if you're looking to listen to some of the music of the bands, there's a weely podcast called 'The Rogues Gallery' (on The Dividing Line).  Has a fairly extensive archive which may include some of the afore mentioned bands in them.  I know most of It Bites and Singularity's latest could be found in there at one point.

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 15:25
Roine Stolt's awesome. All I can say.Big smile

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 15:34
^if that's the only thing you can say, then leaveThumbs Down

Wink

Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 19:42
^^If you can only say three words then "Roine Stolt's awesome" is a pretty darned good 3 words.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2009 at 20:37
Shoot, in all honesty, if I only had three words, I'd go with something like 'need new tongue' or 'bring me Beckinsale'.

Seriously, Ronnie Stolt is fantastic and all, but I'm just sayin'

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2009 at 09:16

Hi All, hope you are all feeling good.  I am now returned from my (well deserved) holiday, during which time I listened to World Of Adventures, Sum Of No Evil and Unfold The Future.  Great beach listening!!  

World Of Adventures really is an awesome album, I'd possibly place it as third best after Stardust and Space Revolver.  The title track, Go West Judas, Theme For A Hero and Big Puzzle get me everytime.

Sorry but I just can't put together a compilation without HOURS of thought, that is unless it's a 6 cd set LOL.

I haven't got any of the FK live albums or DVDs, which would everybody recommend as the best?

Date Posted: March 09 2009 at 14:59
^welcome back Roj! Hope you had a great time!

I've just started school, so, really no good, haha.

I don't have any TFK DVD's nor Live albums, so, I can't help you there...

Posted By: Diaby
Date Posted: March 09 2009 at 15:36
I've got Instant Delivery, that's a great show. However, my DVD player don't play the second disc. First we bought it here in Hungary, and it didn't run. We thought it had a problem and got a refund. Then a forum-mate of my brother living in Sweden sent us one for free, but the problem is the same, only the computers are playing that.

-------------
yeah

Date Posted: March 09 2009 at 18:51

I haven't got any of the FK live albums or DVDs, which would everybody recommend as the best?

I think you really have to have both "Meet The Flower Kings" and "Instant Delivery" as they are very different from each-other and both excellent.

Essential viewing for a TFK fan Wink

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 02:11

Sorry but I just can't put together a compilation without HOURS of thought, that is unless it's a 6 cd set LOL.

That was exactly my idea buddy. You could already see that on my top 50 list because even no.50 is still a great song there. And with their lengthy tracks I could even get to a 7 or 8 cd set. Incredible, isn't it ?
And yet they made at least 40 songs I hardly like at all which is the reason I gave so few 5 starratings for their albums. And the three I did give were actually invalid because also for Flower Power and Paradox Hotel it was the same story as the rest: a few absolutely magnificent tracks but also a lot hardly worthwhile.
But since Flower Power contains Garden of Dreams and Paradox Hotel contains Monsters & Men I had to go for 5 stars with these two. Otherwise there would have been hardly or none at all 5 starratings for my favourite band of all times and that was an unbearable thought. With Space Revolver it was a different matter. I consider that album along with Sum of No Evil the best album overall with hardly fillers on them.

In the end it still hurts me I gave all their other albums 4 stars but I'm a fair reviewer so I had to play fair game in these cases. I can't give them all 5 stars, it's against PA-rules Wink

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 02:19
Originally posted by bassman4 bassman4 wrote:

I just received Meet The Flower Kings dvd.  I love it. I think this is a must have for any TFK fan  . No kiddin , this is a GREAT dvd. I would love to see these dudes live but, ... I don't know if the oppertunity will present itself.

On itself they are great live. They are such fantastic musicians it can't miss. The only thing that annoyed me a few times in live DVD's and shows they didn't finish their long epics like f.i. The Truth will set you free. They play 14 minutes instead of 31 and I hate that ! But that's a personal thing. I like to hear the studio versions played exactly the same live. I hardly appreciate the improvisations but probably many fans don't care about that. It's just my aberration LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 04:19

This morning on my way to work I felt I needed to hear something uplifting so I decided to play Monsters And Men.  I only got Paradox Hotel recently, and have heard it 3 or 4 times to date. I knew I loved M & M, but couldn't remember all the themes etc. 

Well, I have to say that I find it difficult to find the words to describe just how magnificent this piece of music (Monsters & Men) is. I had goosebumps virtually the entire 21:20, such is the beauty and emotion of this masterpiece. 

This is the thing with The Flower Kings, they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard.  The themes, the chord progressions, they are just amazing.  I am still without 2 albums by TFK, but I can sense that they will very soon be out ahead as my favourite band of all, ahead of Floyd and Yes, who currently share the number 1 position with TFK.  In fact, in reality I think they are number 1 already.

Sorry, just felt I had to say something, as I was feeling so emotional after a listening experience I hope at least some of you understand. 

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:50

This morning on my way to work I felt I needed to hear something uplifting so I decided to play Monsters And Men.  I only got Paradox Hotel recently, and have heard it 3 or 4 times to date. I knew I loved M & M, but couldn't remember all the themes etc. 

Well, I have to say that I find it difficult to find the words to describe just how magnificent this piece of music (Monsters & Men) is. I had goosebumps virtually the entire 21:20, such is the beauty and emotion of this masterpiece. 

I told you Wink. ......     Best song ever ?

We could start a Monsters & Men appreciation thread, how about that ?

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 16:56

This is the thing with The Flower Kings, they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard.  The themes, the chord progressions, they are just amazing.  I am still without 2 albums by TFK, but I can sense that they will very soon be out ahead as my favourite band of all, ahead of Floyd and Yes, who currently share the number 1 position with TFK.  In fact, in reality I think they are number 1 already.

Sorry, just felt I had to say something, as I was feeling so emotional after a listening experience I hope at least some of you understand. 

I'm totally with you on Monsters and Men. It is an incredible track and goosebump city, especially towards the end Smile

I also agree where you say "they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard". I'd go along with this apart from I'd add Genesis to that.

The Flower Kings are the only group from the last 20 years in my top 5 all-time groups. I play them more then any other band and have done for the last 5 years or so. I can't ever imagine putting them above Genesis though because they were so important to me in my formative years even though I don't listen to them so much now.

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 18:59
I'm like Nov in that it was hard for me to even consider putting a band on the same plane as Genesis, but The Flower Kings have reached that status in my mind.  My top five does include Frost*, IQ and Spock's Beard as well, but the last three are far below Genesis and The Flower Kings.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2009 at 21:12
I'm at the point where all the Flower Kings music is blended together. It's like one long tune. I can find less and less distinguishing  each record  from another . Lucky for me it's one of my favorite blends on the planet.
Smile

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 02:13

I'm like Nov in that it was hard for me to even consider putting a band on the same plane as Genesis, but The Flower Kings have reached that status in my mind.  My top five does include Frost*, IQ and Spock's Beard as well, but the last three are far below Genesis and The Flower Kings.

Interesting addition this. Which are the other four top bands. Well, in my personal biography you can read these are Dream Theater(+LTE), Symphony X, Collage/Satellite and Clepsydra and it will be that way for a long time to come because these are 4 (6) other bands that are in my blood and bones. The only thing they have in common with TFK is the production of teriffic melodic compositions. It's just that TFK does this best of them all ! TFK is on a lonesome extremely high level that's beyond everyone else's reach.
And there's of course Pendragon but they only made two excellent albums (out of 10).
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated and of course far less than TFK. I'm a bit of an outcast on this site because my big love is not with the seventies era Disapprove.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 05:06

[
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated

I know it's all opinions but in no way are Genesis overrated. Probably the opposite in fact. They've pretty much been the sound-track to my life and the albums from 1970-1977 are, in my opinion, the finest run of albums in music history.

As for top 5 artists - this is probably where I get banned from the forum coz mine looks like this:

1) Genesis
2) The Beatles
3) Steely Dan
4) The Flower Kings
5) Camel

Smile

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 06:28
Hi guys.

For me it was always Floyd and Yes, followed by Genesis and IQ.  I never expected a new band to dislodge them, but TFK have done so, big time!!

TFK have been such an incredible discovery for me and have changed my musical life.  Just last year I'd never even heard of them, now they are my number 1. Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought.

Now for me it's:-

1.  TFK
2.  Floyd / Yes (equal)
3.  Genesis
4.  IQ

IQ are VERY close behind Genesis, however if the rest of their new album is as good as the 3 tracks from it I already know, they may pull leve with Genesis.

Always, always a great pleasure to talk on this thread.

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:03

Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought

The tragedy is (for the band as much as anything) that there are, I'm sure, many hundreds of thousands of music fans around the world in exactly that situation. Luckily for us, we know how fantastic this band is but too many people don't.

There are always going to be people that don't want to know and who only want their 70s albums, but I've introduced many people to TFK who are open and willing to hear new stuff and they've been amazed at what they've been missing.

All it takes is an open mind and a willingness to listen to new music and I maintain that anyone who likes Yes and Genesis (in particular) would embrace the music of TFK like all of us have in this thread.

How I'd love the band to be able to play well funded sell-out tours of nice theaters around the world with the kind of production that their music deserves. Of course, if I ruled the world they'd be selling out arenas with a Pink Floyd or Genesis type production - imagine how mind-blowing that would be Wink

I've just heard that Michael Jackson has sold out 50 (FIFTY) nights at London's O2 Arena - that's 20,000 a night (you do the sums) Shocked

Crazy old world eh?

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:20

Interesting addition this. Which are the other four top bands. Well, in my personal biography you can read these are Dream Theater(+LTE), Symphony X, Collage/Satellite and Clepsydra and it will be that way for a long time to come because these are 4 (6) other bands that are in my blood and bones. The only thing they have in common with TFK is the production of teriffic melodic compositions. It's just that TFK does this best of them all ! TFK is on a lonesome extremely high level that's beyond everyone else's reach.
And there's of course Pendragon but they only made two excellent albums (out of 10).
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated and of course far less than TFK. I'm a bit of an outcast on this site because my big love is not with the seventies era Disapprove.

Progrules,

I understand what you mean, personally, I love Genesis but think that both Yes and King Crimson are terribly overrated. 

King Crimson is just a little too out there on many of their albums, I picked up Lark's Tongue and I just can't get the whole way through it .

Yes (along with Marillion) is a slightly different story, I can't get into them and I can't figure out why.  Everything says that I should, there's kind of a "If you like Genesis then you should like Yes" relationship for many, but I just don't like their music.  Similar thing with Marillion, "If you like Genesis and IQ you should like Marillion."  I've tried, they just don't quite do it for me.

Regarding being an outcast because you aren't in love with the 70's, I feel your pain.  I refer to them as the "70's forever" crowd.  At one point, someone posted the quote "All of the good music has already been written" which I thought was a sadly arrogant stance and a ludricas statement in general.

As a collection, I prefer the newer groups over the older groups.  If I had to do a top ten, I'd add Dream Theater, Peter Gabriel, Riverside then pick two out of Satellite, Porcupine Tree, Siege's Even, Pain of Salvation, Singularity and Sylvan.  (Speaking if which, if you haven't heard Singularity, I highly recommend them)  Anyways, my point, with the exception of Peter Gabriel and Genesis, I generally prefer the modern prog scene over the 70's.

But, back to the original point, The Flower Kings are absolutely amazing.  Has anyone heard if they're planning on touring the US at all this year?  They usually try to make the trek once a year if I understand correctly.  We saw them last year at the 3RP. 

Here's a sign of a great band (and a harbringer of a long post), last year I didn't have Unfold the Future and Back in the World yet.  Of course when we saw them live, the two bookends of the set were "The Truth Will Set You Free" and "World of Adventures".  Despite being a big Flower King fan, I barely knew much of their set list.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't see my favorite songs, but still walked out thinking that it was one of the best concerts that I've seen.

They were that good.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:28

Hi guys.

For me it was always Floyd and Yes, followed by Genesis and IQ.  I never expected a new band to dislodge them, but TFK have done so, big time!!

TFK have been such an incredible discovery for me and have changed my musical life.  Just last year I'd never even heard of them, now they are my number 1. Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought.

Now for me it's:-

1.  TFK
2.  Floyd / Yes (equal)
3.  Genesis
4.  IQ

IQ are VERY close behind Genesis, however if the rest of their new album is as good as the 3 tracks from it I already know, they may pull leve with Genesis.

Always, always a great pleasure to talk on this thread.

Roj,

Here's an IQ question for you.  Do you think that they're a bit too repetitive?

For a brief period they were higher on my list of favorites, probably number 3, then I picked up Ever.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but I already had both Subterrerea and 7th House.  I found the three albums to share a lot of themes to the point that it got to be repetitive.  I know that Ever was released before the other two, but I picked them up in the opposite order of their release.  By the time I finally got Ever, I was intimately familiar with Subterrerea.

Try singing the end of 'The Narrow Margin' to the music of 'Came Down'  If you stretched a little you could combing the end of 'Guiding Light' as well.

I still love the band, they're just not as shiny as they once were, though I am hopeful that the new keyboard player will add some new life.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2009 at 06:38

Progrules,

I understand what you mean, personally, I love Genesis but think that both Yes and King Crimson are terribly overrated. 

King Crimson is just a little too out there on many of their albums, I picked up Lark's Tongue and I just can't get the whole way through it .

Yes (along with Marillion) is a slightly different story, I can't get into them and I can't figure out why.  Everything says that I should, there's kind of a "If you like Genesis then you should like Yes" relationship for many, but I just don't like their music.  Similar thing with Marillion, "If you like Genesis and IQ you should like Marillion."  I've tried, they just don't quite do it for me.

Regarding being an outcast because you aren't in love with the 70's, I feel your pain.  I refer to them as the "70's forever" crowd.  At one point, someone posted the quote "All of the good music has already been written" which I thought was a sadly arrogant stance and a ludricas statement in general.

As a collection, I prefer the newer groups over the older groups.  If I had to do a top ten, I'd add Dream Theater, Peter Gabriel, Riverside then pick two out of Satellite, Porcupine Tree, Siege's Even, Pain of Salvation, Singularity and Sylvan.  (Speaking if which, if you haven't heard Singularity, I highly recommend them)  Anyways, my point, with the exception of Peter Gabriel and Genesis, I generally prefer the modern prog scene over the 70's.

Good post Roland ! There are some meaningful and sharp points you are making here but that has also to do with me agreeing with you of course (about the70's point) Wink.
There's just one thing I do not completely agree with. Contrary to you I don't dislike Yes. But I do very well understand what you mean. I think Yes just made a (very) few very good songs during their large discography. To me those are the incredible Gates of Delirium and Close to the Edge. And I can only add  Awaken, Yours is no disgrace, Starship Trooper and And you and I to them as very good songs.
The rest I don't really care about in fact. And then to think that many people dare to maintain that TFK is just a Yes-rip off band. I get so angry when I read such stupid nonsense AngryAngryAngry. All facts considered Yes gets nowhere near TFK in my opinion. I'd better watch out now or it will be Censored.
Yes is sacred to many  Wink

I really like these talks about TFK compared to the ultimate greats on PA. I wanted to do this for a long time ! Thanks guys

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk