Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54866
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 22:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream
Posted By: navarre
Subject: Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 16:07
the two great names of progressive electronica - Berlin School. personally it depends on my mood... right now i'm on a TD mood... it's more imediate, more "punchy". KS i tend to hear when i want something more sophisticated, more subtle.

what about you?

Replies:
Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 16:15
Mirage and X are more inspiring to me than the TD albums I know(Stratosfear, Phaedra, Rubycon) so I vote KS.

As for the Berlin school, I prefer K/Cluster to both.Tongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 16:15
Welcome, Navarre.  I like both muchly, but choose Klaus Schulze (besides I can also vote for him for his work in Tangerine Dream). ;)

I'm putting on Mirage right now.  Love his work.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 16:38

I voted for Schulze.

If the poll was restricted to the 1970s I'd probably have voted for Tangerine Dream, although even that would be a close call, but I think that KS has continued to progress and to make good albums throughout his career, whereas Tangerine Dream pretty much ran out of steam in the early 80s.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 16:56
Klaus Schulze, although I like TD nearly as much.

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 17:35
I love both, but this is easy for me: Tangerine Dream.

-------------

Posted By: Divine_Invasion
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 21:54
Close one, but I gonna go with TD.

-------------
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 22:54
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I love both, but this is easy for me: Tangerine Dream.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 01:20
This thread! It is wrong!! AngryTongue

-------------

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 02:24
The poll is = Klaus 50% TD 50% right now, and that is just fine by me.My favorite changes with which one of them I'm currently listening to.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 04:13
Er ... I have just tipped the poll in favour of TD. Cannot personally get into Klaus Schulze's music, so the choice was very easy.Smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 05:51
Another vote for TD from me.  Whilst I like what I know of Schulze's work, I prefer TD.

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:20
Very hard for me tuo decide... I adore the music of both....

Still Schulze's output looks more consistent for me, as TDs albums sincemid 80s generally suck.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 10:34
TD are untouched in the electronic world. Their style is so... relaxing, it's a pleasure to listen to every time.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: January 19 2009 at 13:34
Well, I've always preferred Klaus myself, and still do.  But both are greatly enjoyable to me.  I just find Klaus to be more consistent and....well.....more ambient somehow.

Plus, I can listen to and enjoy Klaus' work from 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and enjoy it.  With TD it's really only 70's and half of 80's that I enjoy. 

Posted By: TheMaz
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 09:58
TD for me !

-------------
TheMaz
www.johnnymaz.ca

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 23:01
Gold vs. Diamonds

Posted By: Proggy Pogo
Date Posted: January 21 2009 at 07:44
My vote goes to Tangerine Dream, they're excellent especially Rubycon and Phaedra.  I'm afraid I've never heard any Klaus Schulze - shame on me!! Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: oldgoat
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 16:59
Klaus Schulze without hesitation. Consistency of sound, style and his mastery of using drums, cello, voice and odd other instruments without turning to the dusty lands of the strange 'new age' stuff that Edgar Froese does these days. TD went badly off the rails after Melrose.

Proggy Pogo: never heard KS? You're in for such a treat! Moondawn, Kontinuum, Mirage, X, Picture Music are highly recommended. X is a bit heavy but regarded as one of Klaus's finest productions.

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 21:28
i would choose Klaus Schulze;  Moondawn , Mirage, X are timeless masterpieces , although i love TD also 

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 21:54
TD old lineup of Froese,Baumann,Franke

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 05:10
Love both, voted for Schulze since i been listening more to him recently, Timewind and Moondawn are amazing albums been listening to em nonstop for the last weeks.

-------------

Posted By: monomachine
Date Posted: March 02 2010 at 14:54
Considering both int the 70's and early 80's (since then I don't like their music so much), I voted TD, because although I like KS music, TD has more varied albums.

What they were doing:

TD                                                                              KS
Early 70's                Obscure  and cosmic experimentations           the same experimentations
Mid 70'                      Pure Berlin School of Electronic (Voyages)      the same, pure Berlin School
Late 70's                  Progressive electronic                                          Pure and absolute Berlin School.
Early 80's                Atmospheric Photomural Music ;)                        Rubbish? (for me of course)

KS music in the seventies is like standing on a desvastated planet watching a life form putting light spheres in space which it found on the red sand . . .

TD  in the seventies is like a kid falling asleep after school and having a very strange dream, waking up and finding the nightmare is not over, all over again and again and again . .

love them both, actually

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: March 02 2010 at 18:58
Tangerine Dream easily for me, but I enjoy both.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: March 02 2010 at 21:50
I like them both, but I think TD is more focused in general. Their albums feel like carefully considered compositions whereas KS often has a tendency to slip into synth-improv-noodly land... for an hour and a half.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 02 2010 at 22:54
Sorry, I don't really know any of them, but I've seen in a CD shop in town a Klaus Shulz CD about the story of the Nibelungs (Rheingold - Live at Loreley) which looked very interesting, however it's not so well rated on Progarchives (as a matter of fact, it's only got two ratings), so, anyone knows if it's really that bad, or could it have some interesting things?

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 09:38
TD just ahead of KS for me.

Both have been rubbish since the early 80s but when they were good they were amazing.

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 10:34
Let's see:
70-73: Schulze
74-76: Tangerine Dream
77-78: Schulze
79-82: Tangerine Dream
83-now: Schulze, light years ahead!

So looking at their entire careers Schulze wins this one.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk