Print Page | Close Window

Favourite Metallica Album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55617
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Metallica Album
Posted By: Proggy Pogo
Subject: Favourite Metallica Album
Date Posted: February 16 2009 at 07:57
I know this isn't exactly a prog poll, and sorry if I've put this poll in the wrong place!

Anyway I'll kick this off for voting for my fave, Ride The Lightning.

Pogo.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: mono
Date Posted: February 16 2009 at 08:36
AJFA is one of my favorite metal albums ever, despite horrible recording conditions, and plastic drums

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: February 16 2009 at 08:39
Nice poll sis Clap.

I'm a bit stuck between the first 3, it could have been any of those.  I'll go for Master Of Puppets, by a whisker.

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: February 16 2009 at 08:44
i am not Metallica fan at all, but my vote here goes for Master Of Puppets

Posted By: jimidom
Date Posted: February 16 2009 at 08:58

Back in the day, it used to be Ride the Lighning, but now it's Master of Puppets. "Disposable Heroes", "The Thing That Should Not Be", and the title track are all stellar.

-------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: February 17 2009 at 15:23
Who voted St. Anger?? Please tell me that it was just a joke.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: February 17 2009 at 15:27
As far as my favorite, either Master of Puppets or ...And Justice for All.

I'll just go with AJFA because it's losing, and I know damn well it doesn't stand a chance against Puppets. Roj M30 said just the first three are the best. Most people think like that. No chance for AJFA.

So it gets my vote!!

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: February 17 2009 at 17:25
Ride The Lightning

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: February 17 2009 at 17:48
1. and justice for all
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Master of Puppets

dont really like their other stuff.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 17 2009 at 17:55
Interesting.  Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All are definitely the top 3 for me too.  I'm not sure if I can break it down any further than that though. 

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 00:35
Ride the Lightning.

Followed by Master of Puppets in 2nd, ...And Justice for All in 3rd and Kill 'Em All in 4th.
The rest of their albums I don't even bother with.

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 07:48
Thanks for all the responses to my poll Smile.

Gotta say I'm amazed to see that St. Anger has a vote (it could be a joke as Progrocker2244 points out!!), but the Black Album hasn't got any which I think's a great album (especially the track Sad But True).

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 10:49
1. AJFA
2. MoP
3. RtL
4. M
5. DM
6. K'eA
7. L
8.Rl
9. ST.A

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 14:52

1. Master.....master.....master.....

2. Ride the Lightning

3. Justice

4. Black Album (anyone remember Sad but True?)

5. Kill em All

6. Death Magnetic

7. Load

8. all the other caca they've tried to sell us. (the original Garage days rerevisited was cool, though)

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 15:12
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

8. all the other caca they've tried to sell us. (the original Garage days rerevisited was cool, though)

Well, there's only two of those, according to your list (St Anger and ReLoad)...

But I agree on the descrption you use for those two albums... very accurate and evocative of the quality of the music...Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 15:46
I'm also talking about _Garage, Inc._ which I actually have which contains some of the forementioned great stuff and some truly atrocious material.

And then there were the stupid singles we bought to have the covers on the b-sides that later were on that album. (The backside of "One" was a cover called the "The Prince" which is actually pretty cool)
And the videos, and the therapy session......just give me "Battery" !!!!!

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: February 19 2009 at 07:16
I decided to omit Garage Inc., as it's not really a proper album - it's not bad though.

-------------

Posted By: Lev
Date Posted: February 19 2009 at 13:13
I don't listen past Ride The Lightning. It just gets sh*tter as time goes on. Kill 'Em All got my vote.

-------------

Posted By: djflex
Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 22:20
master of puppets, but a very close second is ajfa

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 23:00
I'm sorry if I offend Metallica purists by saying that I think I like Reload a good bit.  I'll vote for that today.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 03:02
^Hell no, there's some really great stuff on that album. Unfortunately some filler too. I can't remember what I voted, probably Master, but could as well have been Ride, Justice or Load. Yes, I love Load and especially Metallica's best song ever closing that album.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Eraserhead
Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 12:51
Ride the Lightning

-------------
In heaven, everything is fine

Posted By: Trial and Error
Date Posted: March 01 2009 at 03:58
And Justice for All for me. Though I'm not a big fan by a long shot, their albums up to the Black are all pretty good to listen to once in a while.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Trial_And_Error/?chartstyle=SidebarRed1">

Posted By: poslednijat_colobar
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 06:46
... And Justice for All, and especially for me!ClapClapClap

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 14:06
AJFA, the most complete in terms of composition, lyrics and innovation... (Master comes close)

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 14:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I'm sorry if I offend Metallica purists by saying that I think I like Reload a good bit.  I'll vote for that today.

I think the 1990s stuff wouldn't have been as reviled if they:

1. Had sold under another name than Metallica. You know, it's kinda stupid to sell an album under the Metallica name when it's not actually metal. Wink
  2. Got someone else than James Hetfield to sing... sorry, but he can't do normal rock vocals.Ouch

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 16:05
^ Possibly, Load and Reload could have been hailed as decent records if under a different name

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:30
Originally posted by Eraserhead Eraserhead wrote:

Ride the Lightning

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 05:42
I'm new to Mettalica, as in two weeks ago, got RTL, MoP, and AJFA
have no opinion what my favourite is yet, been concentrating mainly on MoP.
On AJFA, I can recognise some great ideas musically but the production is dreadful, what on earth was the band thinking? didn't they recognise something was wrong with the production ?

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 12:34
My favourite is And Justice for all , but I'll vote for St Anger. One of the most underrated records ever. Who cares if it does not have guitar solos and the drums are horrible?? The riffs are really addictive and the record is worth a listen time after time.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 14:13
^Wow, someone who understands Thumbs Up I like the piercing quality the snare drum sound has and the songs are mostly very good if often overlong. Still the weakest Metallica album with ReLoad, but hey, I'm a fanboy anyway. It was so cool to see Jason playing with the band again in the R&R Hall of Fame ceremony.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: April 25 2009 at 16:10
My favorite Metallica albums from favorite to least favorite:

1. MOP
2. AJFA
3. RTL
4. L
5. RL
6. KEA (Yes, the Loads ahead of Kill em All)
7. DM

And the album's I don't really care for:
8. TBA (I think Load and Reload are heavier albums, though I dig Of Wolf And Man quite a bit for some reason)
9. SA

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: April 25 2009 at 16:55
RTL, but I am no fan of Metallica.

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: May 01 2009 at 08:42
Thank god no one has chosen Death Magnetic :O

Definitely Ride The Lightning.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 01 2009 at 09:15
Train of Thought...

Evil Smile

-------------
What?

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:39

OK - I'll be the first - I actually prefer The Black Album to all their other output; not that the other albums are bad as such; Master is a good album & Justice could have been if it weren't for the production, but overall I have always loved The Black Album.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: May 01 2009 at 18:25
    The First 5 albums of Metallica have the same importance in point of View , and Get an Equal credits , and i voted here for Master of Puppets ,cause i like it  , and , this album , in addition to Justice ,  Ride the Lightning and the Black Album , allowed this Metal Band to be listed and available in Progarchives lately /////////

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Date Posted: May 02 2009 at 00:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Train of Thought...

Evil Smile

But John Petrucci can actually PLAY lead guitar though. It's clearly not Kirk Hammett when the guitarist knows how to bend in tune and do vibrato properly. And not butcher his own solos when playing liveLOL

Although, yes, some reviews on PA liken the album to Metallica, but it has way too much groove metal riffing rather than thrash metal riffing going on to be properly compared to the Metallica's thrash metal stuff.

-------------

Posted By: 3vilP3nguin
Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 06:43
The Good
1. ... And Justice For All
2. Master Of Puppets
3. Ride The Lightning

The Not So Bad
4. Death Magnetic
5. Black Album
6. Kill Em All

The Ugly
7. Load
8. Reload
9. St. Anger

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 11:10
And Justice For All

and then work backwards from there.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: wreckfan1
Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 14:52
1. Ride The Lightning (Not a single bad track)
2. Master Of Puppets (A close second but not as complete as RTL)
3. ...And Justice For All (The best Metallica have done without Cliff)
4. Kill 'Em All (Would have made 3rd even 2nd if it weren't for James Hetfield's under developed voice on this one)
5. The Black Album (As an album its average to mediocre, but some tracks individually are actually good)

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 14:53
I'm probably one of the few who said
Kill 'Em All!!!

However, it is just a personal favorite. Their first 4 are all superb.
We can ignore those middle 3...LOL
I must say Death Magnetic really was a great CD, and while St. Anger dosn't get much love I actually kinda liked it. It was a cool sound, and I LIKE the way the drums sound! Shocked Although I do think Lars is a mediocre drummer at best....

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 07:54
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Although I do think Lars is a mediocre drummer at best....

Careful, he'll set his pet gorilla on you:

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:52
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Although I do think Lars is a mediocre drummer at best....

Careful, he'll set his pet gorilla on you:

Eh, I'll risk it. I really do believe I am as good as Lars is. I can drum along to any of his songs without any real difficulty. He can do double bass better than I, but I have only played a double pedal set a few times. Besides, I question how much he "knows" about music and is actually just hitting drums..

But thats just my opinion of course

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:17
This is Lars Ulrich you're talking about - I'm not sure you're allowed to have an opinion

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 15:19
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This is Lars Ulrich you're talking about - I'm not sure you're allowed to have an opinion

LOL What can he do to me? I may not not be big either, but I ALSO think im bigger then he is! LOL
And not to get off the subject of Metallica. I am glad to see there is some love here for St. Anger.
I only knew 3 or 4 people besides myself who didn't hate it.

Date Posted: June 01 2009 at 02:34
Originally posted by Proggy Pogo Proggy Pogo wrote:

Anyway I'll kick this off for voting for my fave, Ride The Lightning.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 07:02
1. ....And Justice For All
2. Metallica
3. St Anger
3. Master Of Puppets
4. Load.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: TheLastBaron
Date Posted: June 16 2009 at 14:45
For me its always back and forth between kill em all and master of puppets with ride the lightning following on the heels. Master of Puppets was the first old school metallica album I heard, and than I checked out Kill em all and ride the lightning. I love the songs on all three of those albums. Orion is a masterpiece of instrumental metal. AJFA is a good album but the dry production makes it really hard to enoy as the others. I do however really enjoy blackened, one, to live is to die and dyers eve.

I'm curios why Snow Dog would list St.Anger, I can't think of anything enjoyable in that album.

-------------
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR

Posted By: Trianium
Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 05:37
Master!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: holy ghost
Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 11:16
I think I like Kill 'em All -> Justice equally and after that I like them not at all, but I'll give the nod to Puppets because it was the album that absolutely shaped my childhood, as well as being the first album I purchased with my own money.

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 04:29
...And Justice For All is my favourite. 

The first four 80s albums are great. Black album was OK, I didn't mind it. Load and Reload...um...

St Anger I actually didn't hate. There were some good tracks there. Death Magnetic was alright, a decent return to form, not as good as their 80s peak but their best since the Black album.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 05:38
This one is for Ride the Lightning.

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: December 25 2009 at 02:48
I'll make it even between the leaders and vote for AJFA

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Date Posted: December 25 2009 at 02:49
Ride The Lightning for me

-------------

Posted By: tupan
Date Posted: December 25 2009 at 10:54
1.Master of Puppets
2.Ride the Lightning
3.Death MAgnetic

And St. Anger is the WORST album here on PA!

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 19:18
Load has an almost grungy feel in places, not that I don't like thier more traditional stuff as well, but there is something about it which is very satisfying to my ears and I don't quite know why.

Posted By: Iron Nate
Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 03:03
...And Justice For All slightly ahead of Master Of Puppets.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 06:51
Ride The Lightning.

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 09:10
And I'm breaking the draw and go with my personal favorite Metallica Album... And Justife for All... I'm also about to see Metallica next week here in Guatemala with Mastodon as a guest band...

I want to state that Death Magnetic is a worth album to listen to... maybe my third favorite, just after Master...!!!

BTW: I support the idea of a member that Ulrich is an average and mediocre drummer at best... yes... his is...!!!

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: February 25 2010 at 03:25
I'd rank them:
Master of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
And Justice for All
Kill 'em All
Death Magnetic
Metallica

AJFA might have made top spot, but the production really brings down the quality.. they might as well have hired Jason after recording that album; it would have sounded no different. (not to mention the drums sounding like a $300 kit)

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 28 2010 at 03:59
Ride the Lightning.  KEA and Master are also great. From AJFA onwards, I like less and less of what I hear.  But agreed with Toaster Mantis, Black/Load/Reload are not entirely bad, it's just that you need somebody like Chris Cornell rather than Hetfield to sing those songs.

Date Posted: February 28 2010 at 04:17
RTL for me.
I can't stand AJFA anymore because I've become a production snob and the guitar tone and almost complete absence of bass guitar just ruins it for me

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: February 28 2010 at 09:02
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

RTL for me.
I can't stand AJFA anymore because I've become a production snob and the guitar tone and almost complete absence of bass guitar just ruins it for me

Ride the lightning is indeed a great improvement over the previous album. And Cliff's bass is terrific ! A really sad loss for metal.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: February 28 2010 at 14:10
No Garage Inc., no vote.

Okay, so it's not original material.  It's the sound of a band that is capable of playing whatever they damn well please, often besting the source.  Now I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but I probably listen to Garage Inc. as much as all the other albums combined.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Rushlover13
Date Posted: March 16 2010 at 20:43
Master of Puppets is epic, while ...And Justice for All is a very close second, but the sound quality is much lacking, and Newstead isn't a very good bassist...:)

-------------
I Love Rush.

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: March 25 2010 at 10:51
Ride The Lightning for me. It has it all. Trash metal anthems like Trapped Under Ice or Creeping Death. Classic tunes like For Who The Bell Tolls or Metallica's best ballad which is Fade To Black and a kick ass instrumental with Ktulu. There absolutely no waste on this album. And Justice For All on second place and Master Of Puppets on third.

Posted By: TangeranicReptilian
Date Posted: April 04 2010 at 18:37
Dang, I'm stuck between Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. But I think I'll lean towards Master of Puppets because, sorry if I offend any Metallica fans, I find One to be an overrated song. It's a good song, but I find other tracks on the album to be better then that song.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 07 2010 at 22:45
I must go with the very few who seem to like The Black Album. It's the only Metallica album I like as a whole, most of the songs are pretty good and enjoyable for me, while the rest of the albums just have a few songs which I really like. I also just haven't been able to understand what all the fuss about Master of Puppets is, I find that album rather dull and almost like none of it's songs, plus I've never been able to get into the way they play on this album (for me it sounds kind of too amateur, but certainly I listen to something different than most other people); the only songs I like on this album are Welcome Home and Orion, and even those ones aren't among my favourite Metallica songs: for me Fade to Black is much better than Welcome Home, and Call of Ktulu is much better than Orion, so just about anytime I would rather listen to Ride the Lightning over Master of Puppets. Oh yeah, and I don't really undestand either how can St. Anger have more votes than Death Magnetic (2 vs 0 votes at the moment), I didn't really like Death Magnetic so much, but St. Anger must be the worst thing Metallica ever did.

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 15:23
well for musical reasons i would have to say justice but s/t and master wins because thery're for me the ones that have "it", also for sentimental reasons (bought both when i was 11, first albums ever).

favourite track though = the call of ktulu

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 16:47

...And Justice For All, but just because of One Embarrassed

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: ElaineAbigayle
Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 02:16
Ride the Lightning being mine, what about you

Posted By: alissagiadagreen
Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 02:54
my fave metallica album is RELOAD...there are some amazin songs in this album...i can never forget....esp.

1. The Memory Remains
2.Fuel
3.The Unforgiven 2
4.Devil's Dance
5.Attitude

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:25
It's between Justice... and MOP. I voted for this one.Rawks

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 09:09

-------------

Posted By: deathlifereborn
Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 08:27
urgh not metallica again LOL ^ thats pretty funny though

-------------
'What happened to our innocence, did it go out of style'

Posted By: silcir
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 16:33
voted ...and justice for all, but it could've been any album until ..and justice, all of them are awesomee

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 02:22
And Justice For All

EDIT: LOL The first time around I put Kill em All.
My tastes are always changing. But technicality always wins!
AJFA for sure.
Close 2nd is MoP
Then RTL, Kill em All, Death Magnetic, Load, Black Album, St Anger, and ReLoad (total crap)

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 05:38
Ride the Lightning hands down, by far better than AJFA which is surprisingly voted so high on this page. Actually IMO AJFA is their weakest album in their period 1983-1991.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Ride the Lightning hands down, by far better than AJFA which is surprisingly voted so high on this page. Actually IMO AJFA is their weakest album in their period 1983-1991.

Agreed AJFA is not that great.

It's between Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets for me.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:10
1. RTL
2. KEA
3. MOP
4. the rest....yawn

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 02:29
Black Album - some fine tunes - the A sides to Load / Reload's B sides. Though Load has some decent numbers on it. 4, 3, 2 stars in that order. Once Metallica play "normal" hard rock rather than thrash then it would be good if the vocals matched. He sounds a bit OTT comical when shouting over a groove.

Master Of Puppets - Speed metal at it's best. Very technical.

Justice - I could listen to the tape but the production is so awful - this self indulgence was appalling. Decent numbers and I used to use it as, of all things a chill-out listen. Along with Iron Maiden and Beethoven. Funny how the world works.

Ride The Lightning. Fine album though the intro need not be restarted several times, Sounds like they strat from the same point which they do instead of another one. But other than that, all fine.

Kill 'em All - a now deceased bro in law played this and I thought it was kind of horrible. He led it but to me it sounded like an abbatoir.

Not heard Death Magnetic. It's vote quantity makes me curious. Just not that much.

I've seen (as in video) bit of St Anger. No guitar solos is a strange way of breaking up the tedium - oops I mean highlighting the musical climax of the music. One day but I find chasing down albums that have little love less than motivating.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 03:22
I'm hardly a massive Metallica fan, but I do proudly own all of these (and will absolutely buy the new one when it's released shortly), but I honestly don't think there's a single truly bad album in this collection. They committed the ultimate sin as far as a large amount of heavy metal fans go by actually progressing, experimenting with their music (even if you'd hardly say it's `experimental music', if that makes sense! ) and trying different things, but they are simply a fine rock band.

I'm inclined to think `Master of Puppets' is their best, but....f**k it, I'm going `Load', because there's a dozen different styles on it and simply a bunch of great tunes that frequently kick ass. `Bleeding Me' is kind of proggy too!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:16
What about LULU ? I don't like Lou Reed, so I've steered clear of it, although it has massively long tracks.
O.K. I dig all the early 'classics', particularly RTL, but, believe it or not, Death Magnetic floors me !! It gets the first vote here from me
And I will be jumping on the up-coming release as soon as it appears in the vinyl racks.

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:29
If it's got Lou Reed on it, Tom, I'd say the lengthy tracks are probably mostly made up of his rambling, dreary, `oh so cool' spoken-word crap...

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:39
^ I think it is. And he bores the sh*t out of me. The only thing I can tolerate from him is TVU & Nico.
It may be sad but true (pun intended), but it's definitely DM for me.
Gawd, that's production on AJFA is crap. Poor Newstead, he may as well have not been there......I knew this the moment I first spun this album back in '89.

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:49
I honestly don't think I've listened to `And Justice for All' since I was in high school, Tom! So, at least 22 years? Back then when I was a kid, I didn't pay much attention to `bass' and the instruments properly, but over the years whenever I've read about the album, it would constantly mention the production, mixing and lack of bass, etc, so I wonder if I listened to it now it would be completely obvious?

Heh, as much as I really dug it when it came out, I haven't played `Death Magnetic' much lately, so I'm going to dig it out for the work trip tomorrow. Ha, I'm finishing at 9pm tonight, home by 10pm, then I have to get up at 5am tomorrow to get back into work for a 7am shift, so it might be good to have someting louder and heavier to keep me awake on the drive in!

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:09
^ I love Death Magnetic as much as White Feathers......... (Kajagoogoo) ...............go figure, but I'm sincere in this assessment..........I'm not schizo, nor bi-polar...., but I truly dig this sh*t..........(along with Gorguts and Caravan......).

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:30
No, but you can be a broken record player stuck on repeat, because WE GET IT, you LOVE Kajagoogoo enough to shoehorn it in to every forum thread no matter how unrelated!

Anyway...I got as far as the first six tracks on `Death Magnetic' again today, and I still agree with you, it's a really fine disc! I remember you instantly praised it when it came out and convinced me to get it, although I'll admit it sat on the pile for a while before I eventually got around to spinning it!

It's so strange - they change their style, people accuse them of selling out and going soft. They bring the heavy riffing and thrashy drums back, and now they're apparently just doing the same old sh*t! I don't know, I thought it was a good mix of their old school `riffery' with stronger melodies and song-writing (although perhaps Hatfield is taking the lyrics really over-seriously these days!). I don't think there was a single poor second in what I heard again today though!

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:48
^ Thanks Mike for fe-iterating the fact I truly admire the 'Goo with Limahl and Beggs. Don't crucify me.....
And yes, DM is awesome. I don't understand those who say they sold out. And I can't grasp the idea of those who claim Lars is a crappy drummer. He's a f**king PIONEER. This awesome extreme metal today wouldn't exist without Lars' catalyst ................ He may be too old these days to develop amazing double-foot techniques as modern dudes do, but he inspired them, and I will bow down to his influence..............
Lars still does a fantastic job. Even he said that modern drummers do amazing things with their feet. And they do ; Patrice Hamelin is a PHENOMENAL example, and John Longstreth, and Tomas Haake. No doubt, influenced by Lars' ideals.........

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:59
It's all good, man...I understand, buddy, sorry. I barely got 4 hours sleep last night, and I'm back early tomorrow as well, so I'm still kind of in a daze.

I was being careful to especially listen to Lar's drumming on `Death Magnetic, and I honestly thought it was no better or worse than it needed to be, he delivers exactly what is needed on that album. Oh, what, some people think it's rubbish that he doesn't deliver a Portnoy-esque extravaganza while spinning one drumstick in his fingers and jamming the other up his rear-end while STILL managing to reel off a string of blurring time-changes?! Please, Metallica's music never demanded that much complexity!

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 03:06
^ Though not exactly 'simplistic' either.........
And I'm certain it's easier to pull off the bass-line to Leper Messiah than Too Shy...........
.......just try..............................
I'm not trying to claim any form of tolerance, or eclecticism, never. But I admire musicianly approaches to any genre music I've heard.   And I think the Goo are much better than Duran Duran..........

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 11:52
Ride the Lightning, still one of the heaviest albums ever made.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 11:53
I went for MoP, but another day it'd be RtL.  

Apart from the $5.98 EP they may as well have ceased to exist after MoP as far as I'm concerned. But I retain a huge fondness for the earlier work. I still remember the day in 1984 when I went to my friend's house because he'd just got an album that I had to hear. We'd have been fifteen. When the needle dropped and the acoustic intro to Fight Fire With Fire gave way to the riff my jaw was on the floor. First exposure to thrash; a new world opened. Prior to this Motorhead was the fastest and heaviest thing we'd known of. 

Happy days!

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 12:05
I like Lulu.

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: January 05 2017 at 02:59
1. Ride the Lightning (voted)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'em all
4. And justice for all
5. Black album
End!

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: January 05 2017 at 03:28
Originally posted by The Jester The Jester wrote:

1. Ride the Lightning (voted)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'em all
4. And justice for all
5. Black album

^ This

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: April 11 2017 at 12:41
RTL and I no longer bother with anything after MOP.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 16:16
1-Death Magnetic
2-Hardwired
3-Ride the Lightning
4-...And Justice for All
5- Kill 'em All

Then the rest, except for the vomit-inducing abominations most of us call St. Anger and Lulu.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: April 19 2017 at 18:24
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

i am not Metallica fan at all, but my vote here goes for Master Of Puppets

Same here.Wink

-------------
Shake & bake.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk