Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56226
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 07:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Magma vs Fairport Convention
Posted By: ten years after
Subject: Magma vs Fairport Convention
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:02
Inspired by the ELP vs Camel poll i tried to think what could be the most pointless comparison of two groups from the prog archives. 

I came up with this.  You may have better examples.

Alternatively you may have an opinion on whether Magma is a better band than Fairport.  I don't so the vote starts at 0-0.

Replies:
Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:04
Easy as choosing between ice cream and a heart attack.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:09
I enjoy both bands, so I don't see any point in voting for one over the other. Their music is as different as it can be, and (at least in my own view of music) suitable to different moments and different moods. As to any kind of 'objective' comparison, I think in this case it would be next to impossible. Fairport Convention are not really a prog band, though undeniably prog-related, while Magma are amongst the most progressive and influential of outfits. Apples and oranges, really.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:11
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Fairport Convention Camel are not really a prog band, though undeniably prog-related, while Magma ELP are amongst the most progressive and influential of outfits. Apples and oranges, really.

I think that that was the point of the poll Raff LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Fairport Convention Camel are not really a prog band, though undeniably prog-related, while Magma ELP are amongst the most progressive and influential of outfits. Apples and oranges, really.

I think that that was the point of the poll Raff LOL

LOL

ClapClapClapClap

Close the poll. This response wins.

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:56
Camel for prog related!!!! Or a new category: Prog attempts!LOL

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 19:16

I will do something unusual

Magma is a Prog influential band, while Faiirport Convention IMO is a plain Folk band.

Still I vote for FC, I don't like Magma at all and the Folk band is outstanding.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 20:28
I think we should pit prog bands against each other in a bare knuckles brawl. For instance: Genesis (any version) vs Yes (the version with drunk feisty Rick Wakeman).

P.S. Keep in mind, despite their vegetarian leanings and vaguely utopian lyrics, Anderson and Squire used to get in literal fist fights over band issues, or so I have read.

Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 20:30
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I think we should pit prog bands against each other in a bare knuckles brawl. For instance: Genesis (any version) vs Yes (the version with drunk feisty Rick Wakeman).

That would be epic.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 20:51
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Yep, I'll take the hortz attahk! (with a Theusz Hamtaahk on the side).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 21:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

LOL

What is a Hortz attahk anyway?

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2009 at 21:18

LOL

What is a Hortz attahk anyway?

I don't really know, but it sounds hundin cool. LOL

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 01:16
Shocked...Maybe it's time to redefine prog.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 01:22
I am not voting, this comparison doesn't begin to make any sense, though that is the point apparently.  Wink At least ELP and Camel have got clubbed in the same sub genre, even if that is debatable.  Here there is simply no basis for comparison, Fairport were good at what they did and likewise for Magma.  I am going to say here that I like Magma a lot more and think they represent prog much more than FC but no, not voting! How about ELP v/s Magma instead? LOL  

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 06:37
What Ivan said!

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 06:42

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 06:56
Fairport Convention

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 07:03
Magma, for sure.

Posted By: Keltic
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 07:54

Again, and maybe it's because I'm new, but I don't see the point of these versus threads - or maybe I'm not fully atuned to the dynamics of the forum. Confused

Even so, Fairport Convention recorded the first ever folk rock album - Liege and Lief; a seminal classic which influenced everything from that genre thereafter, and with great musicians such as Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny as part of the group, it really is a no brainer.

Fairport, by some distance.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 08:13
Originally posted by Keltic Keltic wrote:

Again, and maybe it's because I'm new, but I don't see the point of these versus threads - or maybe I'm not fully atuned to the dynamics of the forum. Confused

Fairport, by some distance.

hahahah... yeah.. you'll pick up on that.   Just a minor 'border war'... a fun one.. between fans of two completely different groups.  This poll was a tongue in cheek poke at that.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 12:40
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I am not voting, this comparison doesn't begin to make any sense, though that is the point apparently.  Wink At least ELP and Camel have got clubbed in the same sub genre, even if that is debatable.  Here there is simply no basis for comparison, Fairport were good at what they did and likewise for Magma.  I am going to say here that I like Magma a lot more and think they represent prog much more than FC but no, not voting! How about ELP v/s Magma instead? LOL  

Or how about ../artist.asp?id=646 - MAGMA (France - Zeuhl) vs. ../artist.asp?id=4019 - MAGMA (Argentina - Prog Folk)

ELP vs. Magma makes sense due to the bombastic, over-the-top, and some would say pretentious, qualities of both.

I know this poll was tongue-in-cheek, so no criticism here, but I commonly dislike "which is better?" polls.  I voted for Magma because Magma has been "better" for me despite appreciating both.

Getting away from which is better, and I like both, there is no band that has meant more to me than Magma.  I still listen to Magma every day.

Incidentally, not that anyone SHOULD like Magma, but for those that dislike Magma (and I would think that most Proggers would find music by Magma that would appeal if they delved into the discography enough and were patient), but I think that http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19795 - Hamtaï! Hommage à la musique de Christian Vander could be a good way to get into the music (not that I would expect people who don't like Magma to buy that album, so it's rather moot).

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Inspired by the ELP vs Camel poll i tried to think what could be the most pointless comparison of two groups from the prog archives. 

You have done well, my son.  My first thought was Zappa and the Mothers vs. Godspeed You Black Emperor, but I think you have topped that.

-------------

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 20:24
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

You have done well, my son.  My first thought was Zappa and the Mothers vs. Godspeed You Black Emperor, but I think you have topped that.

I was hoping to get a few more suggestions of this type. 

The trouble with Zappa is that he released at least one album in just about every style there is so he can be compared with almost anyone (Abba could be stretching it a bit but I don't expect them to appear in the prog archives any time soon).

A passing thought: I always thought a concert featuring Black Widow and Quintessence would attract an interesting audience.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:16

ELP vs. Magma makes sense due to the bombastic, over-the-top, and some would say pretentious, qualities of both.

And it's a poll ELP would have a better chance of winning LOL.  If Emerson irritates people with showing off, Vander positively spooks them out. LOL  Ice cream v/s heart attack -  couldn't have described this poll better!  As between ELP and Magma, I'd go with Magma even though I have heard only MDK and Kohntarkohz because both were far more interesting than ELP's albums - as good as they are - , especially the two part Kohntarkohz epic.  Just so crimson87 knows he has to count on one less vote for ELP if and when he makes an ELP v/s Magma poll. LOL

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:21
(Abba could be stretching it a bit but I don't expect them to appear in the prog archives any time soon).

Careful, you never know what kind of abomination some of us are devising.  LOL

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And it's a poll ELP would have a better chance of winning LOL.  If Emerson irritates people with showing off, Vander positively spooks them out. LOL  Ice cream v/s heart attack -  couldn't have described this poll better!  As between ELP and Magma, I'd go with Magma even though I have heard only MDK and Kohntarkohz because both were far more interesting than ELP's albums - as good as they are - , especially the two part Kohntarkohz epic.  Just so crimson87 knows he has to count on one less vote for ELP if and when he makes an ELP v/s Magma poll. LOL

Put any of the following artists in a poll against ELP and my head automatically explodes.

• King Crimson
  • The Soft Machine
  • Miles Davis
  • Frank Zappa

I am an ELP fanboy of course , no band puts me in a better mood than Emerson Lake and Palmer but those artists produced too much groundbreaking music and they get my respect in the same way Magma does (although I have to hear all the post MDK albums)

Posted By: AlexUC
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 10:17
Magma is a better Zeuhl band. FC drumming is flat TongueLOL

-------------
This is not my beautiful house...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk