Print Page | Close Window

Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
Forum Description: Reviews of prog books, memorabilia, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56892
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 23:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine
Posted By: Warthur
Subject: Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 05:36
Hello folks,

Anyone (especially in the UK) picked up the first issue of Classic Rock's new quarterly prog magazine?

I was genuinely impressed; a few new-magazine teething problems (a few editing slipups, and slightly too many archival interviews - although those were pretty interesting and hadn't been released fully, at least), but otherwise a great product, with a nice and genuinely diverse disc of tracks from up and coming bands and an honest effort to provide balanced coverage of older bands and newer acts. I especially liked the 1-page profiles of new bands.

The big downside is that it's a bit costly, although I suppose that might just down to the economics of producing such a thing; I certainly didn't think I wasted my money. The focus is definitely on symphonic and neo-prog, but there's the odd mention of other genres - there's a nice piece about Caravan and a glowing review of the Magma box set, for example.

Seeing a full-page advert for the latest Pendragon album on the back cover of a glossy newsstand magazine is something I never expected to see.

Replies:
Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 06:31
^It was a good mag, and great to find that someone is at last taking prog seriously in the press, but my only problem with it is the album reviews, they gave everything a glowing review, even albums that are being widely panned by the fans like the new Pure Reason Revolution.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 07:00
I'm not gonna pay 23 euros(!!) to read about what seems to be mainly the prog I don't like.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 07:01
I think the reviews were, like you say, sometimes over-generous, although they did generally do a good job of giving you an idea of what things sounded like - for example, even though they were positive about the new Pure Reason Revolution, at the same time I did get a clear idea of how their sound has changed from the review, which is probably more important to me than whether an individual reviewer liked it or not. (Personally, I'm interested in picking it up, but then I generally like electro stuff.)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 08:30
you would figure issue 1 would deal with the old warhorses mixed with some mention of newer groups. For that I really wasn't interested in getting it.. not that we even had the chance over here hahah.  Let's see what they do with future issues...  they can't write about the same groups every issue.  Curious to see if they focus on prog from outside the 'empire'. That is what this site is for many..an eyeopener that great prog came from places other than England... and in fact still comes.   The shear amount of prog still coming out of Italy for example is staggering.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:22
I thought it was genuinely very good, if, as has been said, a little pricey. Informative, and especially not falling into the trap of just concentrating on the old classics.

Good to see a serious mainstream prog mag - long may it continue.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:22
Well, in the first issue they did cover a fair number of Scandanavian bands, if I'm remembering right, so they're definitely open to covering the international scene. (Really, if they want to avoid falling into the trap of covering the same bands over and over again in redundant detail, they're going to need to be.)

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:29
I might be interested in something like this, even though this site really does provide all the prog news you might want...I'll wait and hear what others have to say about future issues.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:34
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Well, in the first issue they did cover a fair number of Scandanavian bands, if I'm remembering right, so they're definitely open to covering the international scene. (Really, if they want to avoid falling into the trap of covering the same bands over and over again in redundant detail, they're going to need to be.)

exactly... which is why I'll sit on fence and see where they go with it and if they expand past Anglo-centric prog I'll definitely want to check it out.   The classic English stuff has been covered from every angle known to man and then some....and to be honest...   CR has spotlighted many modern English groups and to say that they were anything to write home about would be ..well...  too polite.  About a year ago CR did a CD of like 20 modern Empire prog groups.. and I swear...  only 2 or 3 of them sounding remotely interesting.  Granted this is just personal opinion or perception what have you...  but it is what it is hahha

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:46
Unfortunately, it seems the magazine is already sold-out in the UK, and so far I've had no luck in finding it anywhere here in the US (have been looking for it at Books-A-Million, Borders and Barnes & Noble). We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose... Hopefully they'll reprint Issue 1, and get it sent across the pond!

Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 09:47
A review of the Magma box set was promising; if there's a similar review of the Henry Cow box, I might be sold.  Wink

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 10:11
I find it curious that a magazine for Classic Rock can survive on its own today. In Germany we have the Eclipsed magazine which is issued on a monthly basis and covers a number of styles including Classic Rock, Psychedelic and Prog.

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:27
Hi,

If we're going to nail use the term and make yet another attempt to make sure that most of our favorite music gets some kind of press and notice ... I'm all for that really.

In the late 80's I was a part of the prog scene in the old Fido and various other boards. The results of many of those postings and sharing of information, coupled with several reviews I also shared with various magazines ... I prefer to think that it helped establish us some ...

Unffortunately .,.. not enough ... most of the magazines and articles were, in my book ... all over the place and eventually, I think it hurt us ... some folks, and distributing systems, STILL, are way too exclusive and eccentric ... and that hurts all of us.

I, personally, do not have anything against Eurock, Doug Larson, Wayside, Musea ... and you and I know that we can get different things from them ... but in the end, it will hurt ... some of the stuff that Eurock carries is so esoteric and out there, that I really doubt that I would spend money on it ... and that will not help define anything for us all.

But ... one thing is not necessary anymore ... another kissypoo on Genesis or King Crimson or ELP ... I can handle an intelligent write up and throughtful review ... specially if it is done "in retrospect" compared to what is available today ... anything else is just blotter and comes off like spam and more fan'atic stuff that we get in here ... as an example.

Like many magazines it is always weird when you see the reviews ... they are all condensed to x-number of words ... and to be honest with you, if the magazine is not "progressive enough" to expand in a similar context the music we love with our words and reviews ... I say ... trash it ... it's just another top ten taking advantage of a big name band ... like Mojo has been doing.

Be progressive. Be experimental ... do something that will make a difference!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:43
^ as with all magazines - when they see where their advertising is coming from the editorials and articles will follow suit. Other UK based underground music mags (eg Terrorizer and Zero Tolerance) have taken that route and rarely cover the "local" scene anymore. With issue one of this mag it was inevitable they would cover known ground - however I think they managed a good balance of New vs Old considering they probably didn't know what their target readership will be like.

(The PRR rreview was by Ms Scharf - I would be as bold as tosay that Prog is not really her forté, she is more of an expert in Gothic Rock, EBM and Industrial, so a good review for AVO was not a complete surprise - having said that, I like the album too and more or less agree with what she wrote (apart from it being "Prog that conquers all" LOL))

-------------
What?

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:19
Did anybody get a track listing of what was on the CD?

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:24
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22663 - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22663

-------------
What?

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 13:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22663 - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22663
TY!

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 14:44
We still haven't been able to find that magazine here in the US, and at this point I doubt there were any copies at all shipped across the pondUnhappy. However, a few days ago I received the last issue of my Classic Rock subscription (which I probably won't renew).... A review of some Camel reissues sported the statement that Camel were "one of the pillars of the Canterbury movement"Cry.

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 12:48
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems the magazine is already sold-out in the UK, and so far I've had no luck in finding it anywhere here in the US (have been looking for it at Books-A-Million, Borders and Barnes & Noble). We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose... Hopefully they'll reprint Issue 1, and get it sent across the pond!

Isn't its success (i.e. sold out) a good thing ? Wink

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 16:18

We still haven't been able to find that magazine here in the US, and at this point I doubt there were any copies at all shipped across the pondUnhappy. However, a few days ago I received the last issue of my Classic Rock subscription (which I probably won't renew).... A review of some Camel reissues sported the statement that Camel were "one of the pillars of the Canterbury movement"Cry.

Meh . . . so the editors of Classic Rock and their Prog spin-off seem to not have any clue what they are talking about. LOL I think I'll save my money.

Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 17:00
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Meh . . . so the editors of Classic Rock and their Prog spin-off seem to not have any clue what they are talking about. LOL I think I'll save my money.
Reviewers are free-lance so don't necessary reflect the knowledge base of the magazine itself. Camel were part of the Canterbury scene, if not actually being a Canterbury band, so while it is not a totally accurate comment - it is not completely clueless either. Tongue

-------------
What?

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 17:19
Still, I plan on waiting this out a little bit to see where the 'zine goes before I start investing in it.

But thank you for the clarification.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

I find it curious that a magazine for Classic Rock can survive on its own today. In Germany we have the Eclipsed magazine which is issued on a monthly basis and covers a number of styles including Classic Rock, Psychedelic and Prog.

Well Blender magazine is no longer in print. The Kelly Clarkson cover being there last issue. I think that nostalgia might come into play as well. If it is well written there will always be a market for it as well.

Posted By: mourningknight
Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 02:36
Just picked up a copy tonight. I live in NY and had no problem getting it at Barnes and Noble. Matter of fact,there were about 4 copies left. Great packaging. It comes in an outer thin cardboard "sleeve" and the cover is awesome. The actual magazine cover is a shot of Roger Waters during the Wall tour I believe.
It's 130 pages and covers bands such as Asia,Marillion,Yes,Rush,Jethro Tull,ELP,Pink Floyd,Rick Wakeman,Genesis,Barclay James Harvest,Caravan,IQ,Renaissance,Pendragon ,the ladies of Prog and many others old and new. There's alot of stuff packed into this magazine and it's worth grabbing if you can find it. The CD includes tracks by newer bands such as Panic Room,The Reasoning,Astra,Blood Ceremony,Of The I and others ,all of which I haven't heard but I am curious to explore. Glad I found it!

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 14:55
Originally posted by mourningknight mourningknight wrote:

Just picked up a copy tonight. I live in NY and had no problem getting it at Barnes and Noble. Matter of fact,there were about 4 copies left. Great packaging. It comes in an outer thin cardboard "sleeve" and the cover is awesome. The actual magazine cover is a shot of Roger Waters during the Wall tour I believe.
It's 130 pages and covers bands such as Asia,Marillion,Yes,Rush,Jethro Tull,ELP,Pink Floyd,Rick Wakeman,Genesis,Barclay James Harvest,Caravan,IQ,Renaissance,Pendragon ,the ladies of Prog and many others old and new. There's alot of stuff packed into this magazine and it's worth grabbing if you can find it. The CD includes tracks by newer bands such as Panic Room,The Reasoning,Astra,Blood Ceremony,Of The I and others ,all of which I haven't heard but I am curious to explore. Glad I found it!

I think they have managed the very difficult trick of appealing to diehard traditional fans and looking to explore new stuff very well. The first issue was always going to have the big bands as headliners, but there is a lot of interesting new stuff, and, to be fair to the parent magazine, they have always been supporters of new blood in the prog world.

-------------

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 15:21
I saw the issue on the stands at Chapters today, but I wasn't ready to commit 26 dollars for the magazine.  I forget how much the last issue I purchased of Classic Rock was, but it was at least 10 dollars less than that.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I'm not gonna pay 23 euros(!!) to read about what seems to be mainly the prog I don't like.

Likewise, except I don't want to pay $16 for someone to tell me things I already know. (There were tensions between Fish and the rest of Marillion! STOP THE PRESSES!!!)

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 17:46
I'm loving issue #2, a darn fine publication in my view. Big smile  and Im looking forward to #3 already!

Things you already know? Ermm    oh dear.

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:33

The interview with David Stewart was alone worthy the price......

I also noticed that the new Saga album was slaughtered in the Prog magazine, but praised in the Classic Rock magazine. I got both magazines at the same day, btw.  

Date Posted: May 27 2009 at 12:16
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

I'm loving issue #2, a darn fine publication in my view. Big smile  and Im looking forward to #3 already!

Haven't seen #2 at my local Borders yet. How is the KC article?

Posted By: M@X
Date Posted: May 27 2009 at 19:21
Classic Rock Magazine, Prog Issue #2
Progarchives.com/Maxime Roy interview article (scanned)

High-resolution version here  http://www.progarchives.com/ClassicRockMag_PAarticle.asp - http://www.progarchives.com/ClassicRockMag_PAarticle.asp

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: May 28 2009 at 05:54
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Haven't seen #2 at my local Borders yet. How is the KC article?

You'll have to wait for some time until you can get it here.... We got our issue in early May or so at Barnes & Noble.

BTW; well done, M@x!Clap

Date Posted: May 28 2009 at 08:58
Freaking awesome Clap

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 28 2009 at 16:19
OK, I bought it. :P

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 04:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Likewise, except I don't want to pay $16 for someone to tell me things I already know. (There were tensions between Fish and the rest of Marillion! STOP THE PRESSES!!!)

It's 19 Euros in Greece. I think it's great that they are putting in the effort to do a magazine about prog but 19 Euros is a lot of money for a magazine even with a CD included.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 13:36
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

It's 19 Euros in Greece. I think it's great that they are putting in the effort to do a magazine about prog but 19 Euros is a lot of money for a magazine even with a CD included.

But "It's a FREE CD"!   LOL

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 15:47
^
Free but it's still expensive .

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 13:16
Originally posted by inrainbows inrainbows wrote:

^
Free but it's still expensive .

It takes a lot of money to get that glossy paper and magazine to your local book store. Wink

I think they should offer 2 versions(1 with CD and 1 without) and allow you to download the music if you wish.

Posted By: paulwalker71
Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 06:57
I picked up Issue 2 in my local WH Smiths.

Yes, it is a bit expensive for what it is - I didn't realise it was £7.99 until I got to the till, and perhaps would have thought twice if I had. But, that said, I'm really enjoying the read. Its packed with stuff, and the quality of the writing and the articles is high.

I could have done without the CD, and had it at, say, £5.99, but I'm not going to quibble because I suspect a lot of people who pick this up will not be people who listen to songs on this site (or others) and if it helps to attract others to some great music, then I'm cool with forking out a couple of quid extra.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with some of the attitudes on this thread - people saying they won't buy it and stuff, before they've even read a single issue! The idea that prog would have had its own glossy mag in mainstream stores was totally unthinkable even a couple of years ago! I think it deserves our support. There are hints in issue 2 that it might get built up into something more frequent - bimonthly perhaps. I'd hate it if the lack of support from prog fans was the reason that didn't happen

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 19:35
I loved the magazine as it featured old and new prog from Yes, Rush and Genesis to The Reasoning. The CD waS EXCELLENT ESPECIALLY dIAGONAL, tHE trEAT AND sPACED oUT. oops Embarrassed

the article here says it all: 

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/classic-rock-presentsprog-onsale-wednesday-march-25th/ - http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/classic-rock-presentsprog-onsale-wednesday-march-25th/

I did not like all the reviews esp the review for Century of Self by .... Trail of Dead band was overblown as the album is not that good IMHO. But the reviews on Magma and I of I were great. Like hearing about Benoit with Yes and Wakemans new projects. The Rush interview was amusing with Peart. Of course its only a start and not a bad debut for a prog based mag. At last we have something worth buying on the stands. I could spend hundreds trying to find all those articles and here they were in one magazine! I was impressed. The Pink Floyd articles were all excellent and I loved the sleeve and appearance of the mag.

I would definitely recommend it over a lot of the dross on the newstand. At least it focuses on the one genre and at least it informs prog fans of the new and old. I discovered prog (the term and many bands) through a magazine so this mag may inspire others to jump on board the bandwagon. I am looking fwd to issue 2 soon as it features Mars Volta, Muse and Van der Graaf Generator among others.

So stop being so negative and enjoy the mag for what it is. An introduction to new prog and a look at the old eclectic prog. That should not be a negative thing.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 16 2009 at 09:14
Welll, I thought the second issue a bit better than the first, although the Cd downright stunk this time (the first one's second half had proved interesting)

But they can't help themselves putting a smirk when describing Magma  or any other non-English or American group. Even the Kraut-rock scene erview is done qiuickly and dealt awaz with >> as if, CR is saying: "OK, we did it, let's move on quickly to something WE like"

But losing a maximum amount of space on third ratre UK bands.seems to be a credo.

on the whole, I'm not happily surprised, but I'm not cruelly deceived .  It's about what I expected from , but then again I didn't expect much. But I'd rather pick this PROG mag , than the mother mag Classy Crock (which I've bought twice in the last year).

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Perfect Survivor
Date Posted: June 18 2009 at 18:23
I think I might go "relieve" my dad of his copy!

Date Posted: June 18 2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Welll, I thought the second issue a bit better than the first, although the Cd downright stunk this time (the first one's second half had proved interesting)

But they can't help themselves putting a smirk when describing Magma  or any other non-English or American group. Even the Kraut-rock scene erview is done qiuickly and dealt awaz with >> as if, CR is saying: "OK, we did it, let's move on quickly to something WE like"

But losing a maximum amount of space on third ratre UK bands.seems to be a credo.

on the whole, I'm not happily surprised, but I'm not cruelly deceived .  It's about what I expected from , but then again I didn't expect much. But I'd rather pick this PROG mag , than the mother mag Classy Crock (which I've bought twice in the last year).

What were the tracks on the issue 2 CD? I hope they didn't muck it up after such a promising start. I just ordered the issue yesterday. Was the article on VDGG great? What else was in the mag?

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

What were the tracks on the issue 2 CD? I hope they didn't muck it up after such a promising start. I just ordered the issue yesterday. Was the article on VDGG great? What else was in the mag?

The second D is not worth it compared tothe first, which was interesting in the second half.

VdGG: just like for Magma and the Krautrock article, you'll not quench yourthirst with the "scratching the  surface" of the mag

it won't teach you much unless you're a newcommer tio the band.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: July 01 2009 at 23:47

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The second D is not worth it compared tothe first, which was interesting in the second half.

VdGG: just like for Magma and the Krautrock article, you'll not quench yourthirst with the "scratching the  surface" of the mag

it won't teach you much unless you're a newcommer tio the band.

thx for that Sean

Oh well, my copy has been ordered. I mean its the only prog mag I have access to in Australia. And I look fwd to seeing what else the mag can offer over the next issues.  The CD is at least introducing prog I likely would not hear otherwise. i was introduced to Diagonal, Devin Townsend and Panic Room thru mags so thats something.

Hopefully a list of CD tracks will go up on progarchives soon. I listened to Epica and After Forever recently and was really taken aback at the complexity and beauty of the music. I am always on the lookout for new prog that challenges the listener and is absolutely innovative.

I heard some Sunn O))) recently and have no idea how to comment on them - I dont even know if they are prog yet the mag put them in that category along with other non-prog.

-------------

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:50
Track Listing for second CD (Prognosis 2):

1. Dream Theater - A Rite of Passage (Black Clouds..)
2. Touchstone - Strange Days (Wintercoast)
3. Also Eden - Skimming Stones (It's Kind of You to Ask)
4. Astra - The River Under (The Weirding)
5. Pictorial Wand - Face Our Fathers (Face Our Fathers)
6. Agah Bahari - Revolving Universe (The Second Sight of Mind)
7. Haken - Black Seed (Demo album)
8. The Treat - Anger Management (Audio Verite)
9. IQ - Ryker Skies (Frequency)
10. Sine Star Project - Chinese Drag Queen (Building Humans)
11. Aquaplanage - The Sands of Time (Aquaplanage)
12. Gazpacho - Tick Tock Part III (Tick Tock)

I think the CD is better than Prognosis 1.  The magazine is also an improvement.  I hope this continues to be the case.  It is shaping up to be a brilliant publication.  The next issue is out 5th August and will largely be devoted to the genre of Prog Metal.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: July 08 2009 at 16:19
I think I might have caught the back end of Haken when they supported Riverside when they were in London a couple of years ago.

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Date Posted: July 08 2009 at 17:53
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I think the CD is better than Prognosis 1.  The magazine is also an improvement.  I hope this continues to be the case.  It is shaping up to be a brilliant publication.  The next issue is out 5th August and will largely be devoted to the genre of Prog Metal.

And I thought they couldn't do any worse. If this is prog, I'm not a fan of the genre anymore. 

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: July 08 2009 at 22:32

And I thought they couldn't do any worse. If this is prog, I'm not a fan of the genre anymore. 

I havent heard many of those bands

I wonder if they are available here on progarchives. How is the mag defining prog. They feature bands that are not really prog at all I noticed. I still love the fact that at last we have a prog magazine or you would have to put up with bands that you would never want to know about. I am looking fwd to getting the CD - hardly know any of this music on Prognosis2. Dream Theater and IQ is the exception of course.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 07:50

Completely agree with Christer... At leasdt the first Cd's second half had sometracks that was outside the Neo-ProgMetal soundscapes ..... this one simply doesn't.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: deafmoon
Date Posted: August 01 2009 at 09:35
So far i have picked up both Issue 1 and Issue 2 and in my humble opinion, I am not impressed. The cd's have brought nothing new to my ears. The writing is mediocre at best and really the 'FRESHNESS'  FACTOR is non existent.
Rehash is always nice when it brings to light something different. Like similarly what U.S.A. magazine DRUMHEAD did with Barriemore Barlow, Tull's formidable drummer from the 70's. But Rehashing what everyone already or at least should know, like history of Pink Floyd? C'mon that's like... well...yesterday's left-overs with a garnish of parsley.

-------------
Deafmoon

Date Posted: August 01 2009 at 14:30
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

So far i have picked up both Issue 1 and Issue 2 and in my humble opinion, I am not impressed. The cd's have brought nothing new to my ears. The writing is mediocre at best and really the 'FRESHNESS'  FACTOR is non existent.
Rehash is always nice when it brings to light something different. Like similarly what U.S.A. magazine DRUMHEAD did with Barriemore Barlow, Tull's formidable drummer from the 70's. But Rehashing what everyone already or at least should know, like history of Pink Floyd? C'mon that's like... well...yesterday's left-overs with a garnish of parsley.

Let's not forget, though, that ANY publicity and exposure of the genre is positive, and, of course, there are many younger fans just finding and exploring prog for whom the history of Floyd IS new and exciting.

-------------

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: August 02 2009 at 21:32
Well - have finally laid eyes on this publication - the 2nd Issue - and was immediately put off by the asking price - NZ$35.00!!  I next had a quick flick through and am more than ever convinced that this publication is well over-priced. Prog does need new fans and more exposure but NOT at that price! I can buy two or three decent cd's and/or a more authorative tome on the subject of Prog Rock from Amazon for that price. No thank you - Classic Rock!!Unhappy

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 03 2009 at 00:43
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Well - have finally laid eyes on this publication - the 2nd Issue - and was immediately put off by the asking price - NZ$35.00!!  I next had a quick flick through and am more than ever convinced that this publication is well over-priced. Prog does need new fans and more exposure but NOT at that price! I can buy two or three decent cd's and/or a more authorative tome on the subject of Prog Rock from Amazon for that price. No thank you - Classic Rock!!Unhappy

That has been my gripe from day one about these mags that SHOUT OUT "FREE!!!!! CD!!!!". The CD is not free if you are paying far more than $10 for the magazine. Most magazines in the US today are $4.99-6.99. They need to knock off at least $5 to make it worth buying IMHO. Why spend $5 more for it when most if not all other magazines offering a free(snicker) CD are $10.99?

Date Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:04
I agree that the writing could be more penetrating and enlightening.  The style at times veers dangerously close to a fanzine.  Having said that, I have read both issues so far from cover to cover and I will be making my way to WH Smiths on Wednesday to get issue 3 (even though it is very expensive).  The magazine could provide much more for less money, but it still provides a damn sight more on Prog than any other magazine in circulation in the UK.

I seem to be in a minority in liking the cover-mount CD on issue 2.  Many people are questioning whether many of the bands featured are prog.  This is kind of ironic because in another thread not too far from here, there is currently a poll of the best prog albums ever - I questioned the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis - the response was given that Miles Davis is a featured artist in Prog Archives, therefore all of his albums can be considered prog!!!!

If the straight ahead jazz albums of Miles Davis to be deemed as prog (and eligible for inclusion in the prog album poll), I am surprised that the artists on Prognosis 2 are causing such controversy.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:49

^ A point of clarification: the inclusion of the whole discography of an artist does not mean that the whole discography is considered to be Prog, quite the contrary - if an album isn't Prog then nothing can ever make it so. The inclusion of Miles Davis was purely for his JR/F albums, the rest came as a by-product of his addition and they are not considered to be Prog by anyone.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 03 2009 at 19:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

Let's not forget, though, that ANY publicity and exposure of the genre is positive, and, of course, there are many younger fans just finding and exploring prog for whom the history of Floyd IS new and exciting.

ClapClapClap exactly my opinion too. The PF articles were only good for the pictures really, there was nothing new concerning the history of the band. I read the whole mag issue 1 and at the end of it just consider it to be a nice intro to prog for those who are unfamiliar with the genre and its great exposure at that. I think for more in depth reading the proghead needs to turn to more defined literature such as the great in depth novel sized guides to prog that are available. I like the mag for the pictures and the overall prog soaked content. I did learn about some bands from the CD such as Diagonal and now have their debut album. Also Mystery is a great band and Blood Ceremony were interesting and worth getting more I think. The CD is the main drawcard for me so I hope they get it right in issue 3.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:08

^ A point of clarification: the inclusion of the whole discography of an artist does not mean that the whole discography is considered to be Prog, quite the contrary - if an album isn't Prog then nothing can ever make it so. The inclusion of Miles Davis was purely for his JR/F albums, the rest came as a by-product of his addition and they are not considered to be Prog by anyone.

I agree with you, but when I questioned Negoba about the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' he said that if an artist is listed in Prog Archives then their recorded output can be included in the top 100 prog albums.  If you look at the lists being created by contributers you will find other straight ahead jazz albums being included.

It seems crazy to me, because hypothetically you could end up with a top 100 prog albums list  made up entirely of non prog albums!!!

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:23

I agree with you, but when I questioned Negoba about the inclusion of 'Kind of Blue' he said that if an artist is listed in Prog Archives then their recorded output can be included in the top 100 prog albums.  If you look at the lists being created by contributers you will find other straight ahead jazz albums being included.

It seems crazy to me, because hypothetically you could end up with a top 100 prog albums list  made up entirely of non prog albums!!!
'Tis is true - that's the problem with categorising albums by the artists subgenre and people rating based on it being just a great album and not whether the album is a great prog album. The system isn't perfect, but it will balance out in the end even if a few non-Prog albums enter the top100, they will never dominate in the way you hypothetically suggest.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:14
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I know, I saw it in the CD store as well, at first I was like "oh sweet"
And then I saw the price...

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 05 2009 at 02:12
I sympathise with those outside of the UK who have to pay extortionate prices for the magazine (NZ$35?? ), but the price we pay in the UK is the average for a specialist music mag.

If it's the case that only a UK publisher is producing such a magazine, that's a shame - we Brits would have to pay a similarly ridiculous price if it were published in say the USA alone...

As far as the CD is concerned, it's the usual policy for Classic Rock to give away (however you define the word 'free') CDs with a couple of known artists & a slew of unknowns to give the new bands exposure. On the back of the latest CD I bought the Astra album 'The Weirding' (excellent), but unfortunately have been unable to track down any releases from Haken.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: August 05 2009 at 05:10
I don't think CR gets much of the extra money forked over by the international readers.... it's mostly the intermediary press exports taking their shares

There is no justifications that CR doubles its £ price in €, just by crossing the channel , especially with nthe ££££ being almost on par with €€€€€

On top of it, we geta slew of unwanted clothes catalogue and a bunch of idiotic lotery tickets tha we can't win, since we're nit UK citizens.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: August 06 2009 at 01:07
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I sympathise with those outside of the UK who have to pay extortionate prices for the magazine (NZ$35?? ), but the price we pay in the UK is the average for a specialist music mag.

If it's the case that only a UK publisher is producing such a magazine, that's a shame - we Brits would have to pay a similarly ridiculous price if it were published in say the USA alone...

As far as the CD is concerned, it's the usual policy for Classic Rock to give away (however you define the word 'free') CDs with a couple of known artists & a slew of unknowns to give the new bands exposure. On the back of the latest CD I bought the Astra album 'The Weirding' (excellent), but unfortunately have been unable to track down any releases from Haken.

IN Australia the mag costs $19.95. I admittedly would not have bought it only as far as I am concerned any prog is good prog and a mag based soley on prog is bliss! The CD in issue 1 is still awesome I believe but CD2 looks a little on the ordinary side. I hope its just teething problems in its early stages but this mag has enormous potential. But I agree that CD is not 'free' - its an incentive but its not free.

-------------

Date Posted: August 06 2009 at 13:42
I now have my copy of the third issue of the magazine. This month the focus is more towards prog metal with pretty thorough features on Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Voivod and Symphony X.  There are lengthy articles on Rush and Steve Hackett.  Other featured artists also include Porcupine Tree, Marillion.  There are interesting items on Italian Prog and the Vertigo record label. 

I know it's pricey but where else would you get all of this?

I haven't heard the cover-mount CD yet, but it contains an exclusive from Porcupine Tree's forthcoming new album 'The Incident' and a track from 'Pure' by Pendragon.

The next issue is out on 30th September.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 02:03
Got the third issue yesterday too - only had a brief glance though thus far, but in addition to all the above, there's a small article on our very own Tinyfish (incidentally, even the sister magazine Classic Rock is pipping Tinyfish for big things )

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 02:05
Darn fine publication, I am currently in the queue waiting patiently for my turn to read it, but I thought the CD was pretty well great!  Love the new PT track!

W x

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 14:19
Buy it - it's great. Thoroughly good articles and interviews, and it is especially nice to see the Italian Prog piece, plus a very rare Ant Phillips interview.

Worth every penny.Clap

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 13:11

Got the third issue yesterday too - only had a brief glance though thus far, but in addition to all the above, there's a small article on our very own Tinyfish (incidentally, even the sister magazine Classic Rock is pipping Tinyfish for big things )

How is the CD in issue 3?

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 13:36
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

How is the CD in issue 3?

Good. Track list is:

Pendragon - Indigo
Konchordat - Motion
Breathing Space - Clear
The Wishing Tree - Hollow Hills
Darwin's Radio - Breathe It In
Knifeworld - The Wretched Fathoms
Porcupine Tree - Time Flies (Edit)
The Resonance Association - The Moment Has Passed

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 14:09
Prog Metal...........Ouch I think I will give that a miss due to some tax bills which requires my full attention. 

Posted By: pulsefloyd
Date Posted: August 11 2009 at 10:44

Haken are recording their debut album in August and September and it will be released in January 2010.

http://www.myspace.com/hakenmusic - www.myspace.com/hakenmusic  

-------------
Is there gas in the car? Yes, there's gas in the car.

Date Posted: August 11 2009 at 11:11
Many thanks ... only 6 months to wait then

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: August 11 2009 at 11:12
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Prog Metal...........Ouch I think I will give that a miss due to some tax bills which requires my full attention. 

Don't let that put you off - there's only really a couple of articles on Prog Metal (and the one on Opeth is very much worth reading); the main article is one on Rush (who they consider to be the godfathers of PM)

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 12 2009 at 06:13

Cool, I really need to get this but I've not seen it anywhere. Where did you get yours from Jim?

Date Posted: August 12 2009 at 08:30

Don't let that put you off - there's only really a couple of articles on Prog Metal (and the one on Opeth is very much worth reading); the main article is one on Rush (who they consider to be the godfathers of PM)

Thanx. The Italian scene report and the feature on my alltime favorite band (Rush !!) means I will dress up as a fox and play my bagpipe later today at the local railway station. The collected money should get me a copy of this issue. 

I got the Classic Rock magazine from my postman earlier today, btw.

Date Posted: August 12 2009 at 11:06

As far as the CD is concerned, it's the usual policy for Classic Rock to give away (however you define the word 'free') CDs with a couple of known artists & a slew of unknowns to give the new bands exposure.

Correction - I now have it on good authority that bands have to pay to get their tracks on free CDs given away with music mags... Personally I think this is outrageous, but hey - just call me naive.

Thieving s

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: August 12 2009 at 12:19

As far as the CD is concerned, it's the usual policy for Classic Rock to give away (however you define the word 'free') CDs with a couple of known artists & a slew of unknowns to give the new bands exposure.

Correction - I now have it on good authority that bands have to pay to get their tracks on free CDs given away with music mags... Personally I think this is outrageous, but hey - just call me naive.

Thieving s

This has been the norm for the last 20 years, Jim. Several record labels made a good profit of doing this years ago. That was before it was normal to include a free CD with music magazines. It is called business and it is still a business as long as anyone agrees to pay.

I remember I paid 1500 DMs (that's Euros today) for one track on a CD our German distributor gave away and even sold to their customers. That was back in 1995.

Date Posted: August 12 2009 at 13:33

Thieving s

This has been the norm for the last 20 years, Jim. Several record labels made a good profit of doing this years ago. That was before it was normal to include a free CD with music magazines. It is called business and it is still a business as long as anyone agrees to pay.

I remember I paid 1500 DMs (that's Euros today) for one track on a CD our German distributor gave away and even sold to their customers. That was back in 1995.

I wasn't aware that this was standard industry practice, although nothing really surprises me these days. Having said that, it is a good way of bringing your music to the masses. CR, in a very early issue, included a Judie Tzuke track called Bully from the Secret Agent album. I had not heard her for years, and was blown away by this incredible piece of music. I went on her website immediately and ordered the album, and have brought most of her work subsequently. So she definitely had one extra customer that would never had purchased otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2009 at 18:36
Tha newsagent keeps me acopy every time it comes out and this time the mag has excelled beyond expectations with a huge article of Rush, Italian prog such as PFM, Tarja features and a wonderful disk featuring:

Pendragon - Indigo
Konchordat - Motion
Breathing Space - Clear
The Wishing Tree - Hollow Hills
Darwin's Radio - Breathe It In
Knifeworld - The Wretched Fathoms
Porcupine Tree - Time Flies (Edit)
The Resonance Association - The Moment Has Passed

All very good tracks especially Pendragon and PTree

Thoroughly recommend this awesome mag. Pricey but its quarterly so you have heaps of time in between issues to save.  Theres a great section on non prog albums and it features The Elder by Kiss which I have always hailed as prog myself, and its nice some would agree. The articles on The Butterfly Effect, Australian prog - YES! - altho not deemed prog here at PA (!). I knew they were prog from the moment I heard them.

Great section too on Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds. one of the best!

The metal section is not overwhelming but its great the mag concentrates on all areas of prog, not just one section.

Looking fwd to the next one soon!

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2009 at 15:10
Wow, it's good to hear it's getting into newsagents down under!  (and with the CD too, sometimes the extra bits and pieces don't get included with the exported mags.

Clap  

The next issue in the UK is due Nov 25th. Big smile 

Wx

Date Posted: November 03 2009 at 17:05

Wow, it's good to hear it's getting into newsagents down under!  (and with the CD too, sometimes the extra bits and pieces don't get included with the exported mags.

Clap  

The next issue in the UK is due Nov 25th. Big smile 

Wx

Cheers

Yeah I was [pleasantly surprised to see the UK issue here in Australia.

The CDs are in the folder so no chance of being flogged by nasty little hoodies.

there were no ads for the next mag in issue 3 Shocked - so I wonder what they are going to focus on.... a mystery. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 12:54

The new issue out on 25. November is a Prog-Folk issue.

Jethro Tull is dominating the frontpage. Renaissance, Fairport Convention and Comus is featured too on the frontpage. I feel an urge to do some 'Tull and 'Convention reviews now.....  

Classic Rock Present Prog is now on Facebook. 

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:44
Picked up the last issue. Liked the story about KC Red album and the weird side of Prog. 

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 10:19
Great special issue, loads of interviews. It kept me pretty busy for quite some time as it was an insightful read. Loved the interview with Neil Peart. Plus, the free disc led me on to some real gems; Blood Ceremony and Diagonal. Smile

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 14:32
In their Facebook group, the staff at Classic Rock Present Prog claims that # 5 sold far more than anticipated. I have switched my subscription over from Classic Rock to them because I like the daughter far better than the mother, let me put it that way. 

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 16:53
I have the first and the most recent.
The first is my favourite because of the Marillion article, which was fantastic, but the Genesis article in the latest was great as well. I'm really sad I missed the other two, just seemed to slip my mind though. I hope I can find the other two issues somewhere, although I'm doubtful.

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I have the first and the most recent.

The first is my favourite because of the Marillion article, which was fantastic, but the Genesis article in the latest was great as well. I'm really sad I missed the other two, just seemed to slip my mind though. I hope I can find the other two issues somewhere, although I'm doubtful.

I think they can be bought directly from the publisher. Try http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=565&id=31795  although # 2 is sold out. Try Ebay for that one.

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:32
I know some people in the US have already been able to find the mag, though it hasn't showed up in this area yet. Anyway, I have all previous issues, and believe the magazine has steadily improved with time - even if I also believe there is a bit too much emphasis on contemporary British acts, which in my opinion are not particularly interesting. 

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 13:45

I know some people in the US have already been able to find the mag, though it hasn't showed up in this area yet. Anyway, I have all previous issues, and believe the magazine has steadily improved with time - even if I also believe there is a bit too much emphasis on contemporary British acts, which in my opinion are not particularly interesting. 

Raff, I think, to be fair to them, that they are trying to demonstrate that there is still a vibrant prog scene out there and that the genre didn't just die when Rotten et al started to spit in 1976/77.

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:19
Hehe - and their main buying public is a British one as well. Makes sense to cater more for the home market than the subsidiary markets. If and when they start selling more copies abroad than at home, that might just change a bit I'd wager :-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 04:22
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Hehe - and their main buying public is a British one as well. Makes sense to cater more for the home market than the subsidiary markets. If and when they start selling more copies abroad than at home, that might just change a bit I'd wager :-)

What makes you so sure of this??? Knowing that the prog-loving fraction of the public is infinitesimally small in the UK....

I think Raff makes a good point....

No this pure UK chauvinism dates from the NME/MM/Sounds days, and outside some US acts, generally the British press is downset at preferring their own kind

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 06:01
I believe their main buying public is not so much British as European. I started buying Classic Rock when I lived in Finland, and after I moved back to Italy I had no problems whatsoever in finding it in Rome. Classic Rock is also available just about everywhere here in the States, and the Prog magazine gets here every time, even if at least a month later than in Europe.

Anyway, I believe their attitude is a mixture of chauvinism (though it might be too strong a word) and familiarity, since for them it's easier to check out a British band than an American one (especially when talking of up-and-coming acts).  That said, I have nothing against British bands - they just don't appeal to my tastes, and find them a bit one-sided in most cases. Not to sound chauvinistic myself, but Italy nowadays has a number of bands that experiment with just about every subgenre of prog, and are definitely more interesting than the slew of female-fronted, melodic prog bands generally supported by Classic Rock's Prog magazine.

Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 08:59

All UK magazines are chauvinistic. Just have a look at the angling, motorsport and trainspotting magazines. It is just how this British publishing scene is. 

But I think Classic Rock Present Prog will branch out when getting more established. They are only into their first year, remember. But feel free to present your view to them on their Facebook page and they may even change their ways. 

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 20:27
Classic Rock and its Prog offshoot are my favourite music mags. They write about the music I care about, not the latest trendy hipster bands, like NME, or Rolling Stone, etc.  My only criticism is that, here where I am in Australia, I pay a ton for it, money that could be used to buy a new prog CD!

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:08
Well, at 25 and change bucks I dunno. What they're doing now in some places in Montréal is taking the magazine out of the cardboard box so you have to go to the cash to get the CD and the box because they kept getting torn open. I get Flight International and National Geographic  in the mail at yearly rates which together come out to be cheaper than a single issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog. My local Montréal Gazette newspaper monthly subscription rate comes out to exactly $25.95. I just don't understand why a magazine has to be so bloody expensive. 

-------------

Posted By: squirting
Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:07

I live in Australia and almost shat a brick when I saw the weird world of prog! issue.

Amazing covers and I checked out some new bands because of this magazine/CD. I'll definitely keep an eye out for future issues.

Must say, the reviews were mostly positive, with only one exception that I can remember (Ebony Tower). Can't help but feel they're just giving good reviews to everything, for some reason beyond my understanding.

But they get points for not giving a score.

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 08:48
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well, at 25 and change bucks I dunno. What they're doing now in some places in Montréal is taking the magazine out of the cardboard box so you have to go to the cash to get the CD and the box because they kept getting torn open.

How tragic. Especially when they could have gotten the CD's for free from both Sean and me.

(Btw: its 199 Kroner = 36 Canadian bucks over here)

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 09:01

Issue 6 has just arrived through my door. It looks great. It even includes Morten Harket. 

Take out subscription, guys. I guess it is a saving of 50 % in Norway and overseas. Even here in the UK, a subscription is a substantial saving on the cover price. 

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 14:04
So how is the issue with Ian Anderson on the cover?

Posted By: jplanet
Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 14:13
Could anyone who received issue #6 tell me if there is a Shadow Circus review in there? I heard that there was, and I am dying to find out!

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/ShadowCircus/" rel="nofollow - ..::welcome to the shadow circus::..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk