Forum Description: Help us improve the forums, and the site as a whole
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56922
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 10:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lyrics
Posted By: manofmystery
Subject: Lyrics
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:26
This might be too massive an undertaking but the ultimate addition to ProgArchives would be song lyrics.  Could be added as a link from an albums page and look something like this:

1. Cirkus(including Entry of the chameleons) (6:28) (lyrics)
2. Indoor games (5:41) (lyrics)

The word lyrics would be a hyperlink to either a page created with the songs lyrics within ProgArchives or a outside lyrics site.  Anyone who has gone out and tried to look for song lyrics to lesser known prog artists (High Tide for example) could tell you how frustrating it is.  I'm sure we could harness the knowledge of our members on the hard to find lyrics.

As I said, I'm sure this is far too massive an undertaking but wouldn't it be bad#ss!

-------------

Time always wins.

Replies:
Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 13:45
It's been discussed several times already. It's not possible because it would mean copyrights infringement.

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 14:31
What Tuz said is true. However, there are other sites like ours that have links to lyrics - namely The Metal Archives, or Encyclopaedia Metallum. I wonder if they are breaking the law, or perhaps got permission in some way.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 15:20
^ Nothing wrong with links to lyrics that are on a bonafide lyric site - just can't have the lyrics themselves.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 16:08
That said, the legality of most lyrics sites is at best questionable.

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 17:44
Is it illegal to link to an illegal website even if our site is legal?

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:14
The bottom line is . . . firstly, we can't garauntee that we are outside of the infrignements by doing this, and secondly . . . the amount of time and research it would take is something that at this point I think is pretty much not possible.

Lastly . . . the majorety of the artists on this site are so obscure, no outside souces would have lyrics for them anyway.

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:37
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

The bottom line is . . . firstly, we can't garauntee that we are outside of the infrignements by doing this, and secondly . . . the amount of time and research it would take is something that at this point I think is pretty much not possible.

Lastly . . . the majorety of the artists on this site are so obscure, no outside souces would have lyrics for them anyway.

Not to mention that we have many bands and artists whose lyrics are not in English, and I don't think anyone wants to start translating lyrics from Japanese, or even the likes of German or ItalianWink!

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:45
^ Come on, Raff, you know you want to spend weeks on end translating! LOL

No, the logistics of such an undertaking are just not possible, especially now, with thousands of artists in our database.

. . . Unless a new Collaborating team is added: "Lyrics Translation".

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:46
seems sort of an odd request...  many CD comes with the lyrics... if you don't want to buy the actual CD's... you don't get them.

and if you don't... you have your ears and two hands to write them down....and if they are in a foreign language... just who is going to translate them.

not worth any time or trouble IMO

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 18:55

No, the logistics of such an undertaking are just not possible, especially now, with thousands of artists in our database.

If you all pay me, yes, of courseWinkLOL!

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 19:26
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

If you all pay me, yes, of courseWinkLOL!

Hey, you're bored sitting at home all days after all. This would provide you some entertainment. Wink

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 20:01
Who told you that I'm boredWink?

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 20:06
with me????  ....bored????    with  Mr. Excitement around LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 00:46

damned laws

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: April 08 2009 at 08:32
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

damned laws

Why?!?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window