Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57290
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 08:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Collage and Satellite
Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Subject: Collage and Satellite
Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 19:59
These two Polish Neo bands have a lot in common including the band members.I was listening "Moonshine" the other day when i really noticed how much these two bands sound alike. Anyway if you had to pick just one album between the two bands which would it be?

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Replies:
Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 20:22
Moonshine for me. Excellent disc!

Satellite's stuff are starting to all sound the same to me.

E

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 22:34
Funny that you would say that about SATELLITE E-Dub because i feel the same way.  In fact i did this poll because i honestly lose interest in SATELLITE's music really fast.It's not meat and potatoes i guess,so i tire of it quickly.    The only disc on this poll that i don't feel that way about is "Moonshine".

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 22:48
Well, firstly I believe (no pun intended, Mr.Gil!) that Moonshine is a monumental album, not just good or great but outright special. The whole album has a mood that is hard to describe or emulate, very original in a genre that does not know how to spell the word! That being said, I enjoy my 3 Satellite albums and reviewed them glowingly, I am waiting for my copy of Nostalgia to see if it does get a "meat and potatoes" feel or not.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 22:48
Moonshine is a classic by any decent standard. Only A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset comes close to the quality of that album.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 00:49
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Moonshine for me. Excellent disc!

Satellite's stuff are starting to all sound the same to me.

E

100% subscribe ! As well as what the others say. Seems like we all agree about this subject. Must be the truth or something. Moonshine is one of the best albums ever !

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 07:30
I've heard everything on the list except for Safe and am going with 'Into the Night'.  That was actually the first one on the list that I'd heard and still my favorite.

With that being said, Nostalgia arrived about three weeks ago and I'm really underwhelmed by it.  I'm kind of disappointed so far.  I'm hopeful that my appreciation will increase as I give it a few more listens.  On the other hand, I'm a little put out by anything that I feel that I have to listen to to justify the purchase.  Listening to music shouldn't be something that you have to force yourself to do.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: RaphaelT
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:05

I have listened to both "Moonshine" and "Nostalgia" only yesterday and I must say: Moonshine, THE truly symphonic and emotional album

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:56
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

I have listened to both "Moonshine" and "Nostalgia" only yesterday and I must say: Moonshine, THE truly symphonic and emotional album

For me that's the key, "Moonshine" is a very moving album.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 13:22
"Basnie" was good, at least it's sung in Polish. "Moonshine" bored me to death, so I lost further interest to Collage and its offshoots.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 14:08
Although Nostalgia is very good and fresh album, merging prog and pop in such a good way, that Asia could only dream of delivering THAT music

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 18:44

Evening Games, though in close match with Moonshine.

To be honest, I can't explain why Evening Games is the least popular Satellite album. I think it's one of the best neo albums ever.

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 23:56
Moonshine is a masterpiece & yes I agree about Satellite with the excepetion of Evening Games which is great (imo)

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 23:57
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

To be honest, I can't explain why Evening Games is the least popular Satellite album. I think it's one of the best neo albums ever.

Evening Games is my favorite by Satellite; don't really care much for the others.

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 13:39

Less symphonic than the debut and less sophisticated than Into The Night, that is my explanation

But if you listen more to Evening Games you'll find powerful emotions and really great melodies, although sometimes too rocky, like e.g. Why? 

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 19:31
I am finishing up Nostalgia in the car and this might be it for Satellite with me. I took a chance after the less than memorable Into The Night and am still ho hum about this band. Even considering getting rid of the last two and just keeping Evening Games and Street.

E

-------------

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 01:17
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I've heard everything on the list except for Safe and am going with 'Into the Night'. 

Safe is another jewel by Collage though much less than Moonshine. But that says more about Moonshine than about Safe. Safe is some 4,25* to me where Moonshine reaches the perfect 5 stars.
In other words: also Safe is highly recommended !!

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 18:50
Concerning a whole catalogue, SATELLITE is more consistent and more powerful in terms of good songwriting and nurturing a musical develpment, but regarding individual albums, COLLAGE found an awesome peak in "Moonshine" that has so far been an undisputed highlight in the history of Polish prog.

Kind regards.

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 21:46
^ IMHO there are lots of much better albums in Polish prog than "Moonshine". So if it is a highlight, it's a disputed highlight. Wink

-------------

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:43
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

"Basnie" was good, at least it's sung in Polish. "Moonshine" bored me to death, so I lost further interest to Collage and its offshoots.

Yes, one can regret that english replaced polish in further albums. If Baśnie had Robert Amirian on vocals it would be a 5-star record.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: April 25 2009 at 17:38

Other than the fact that I think Moonshine is one of the best albums ever, I agree with you about "Evening Games".  It's the only one that comes close, thanks to the incredible sadness the oozes through the title cut, Beautiful World, and Evening Overture.

I was very disappointed with Into the Night, and I've only listened to Nostalgia once. but I don't get the feeling it will be giving Street or Evening any competition.  They seems to be out of inspiration.

Date Posted: April 26 2009 at 15:08

^ IMHO there are lots of much better albums in Polish prog than "Moonshine". So if it is a highlight, it's a disputed highlight. Wink

That's true, 'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. Regarding the comparison with other prog bands but in different style, I would not say they are "much better" but different, as one cannot compare two bands playing a completely different music, even if belonging to the same category.
Other major polish prog records include :
- Czesław Niemen's 'Enigmatic'
- Marek Grechuta's 'Magia obłoków'
- Skaldowie's 'Krywań, Krywań'
- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'
- Niebiesko Czarni's 'Naga (rock-opera)'
- SBB's 'Ze słowem biegnę do Ciebie''

And even today you can count with other marvellous bands : Riverside (progmetal), Mindfields (retro/sympho-prog), Annalist (neo but evolved towards more trip-hop horizons), Gargantua (RIO/avant-prog), Indukti (progmetal, influenced by King Crimson and Tool), Hipgnosis (art-rock/ambient, with female vocals), Moonrise (neo-prog), Iluzjon (prog-rock)...

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2009 at 16:28
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

That's true, 'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. Regarding the comparison with other prog bands but in different style, I would not say they are "much better" but different, as one cannot compare two bands playing a completely different music, even if belonging to the same category.
- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

And even today you can count with other marvellous bands : Riverside (progmetal), Mindfields (retro/sympho-prog), Annalist (neo but evolved towards more trip-hop horizons), Gargantua (RIO/avant-prog), Indukti (progmetal, influenced by King Crimson and Tool), Hipgnosis (art-rock/ambient, with female vocals), Moonrise (neo-prog), Iluzjon (prog-rock)...

Some people just don't like symphonic prog, it seems. However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

I might be wrong, but I thought that the topic was about comparing Collage and Satellite and not discussing whether Moonshine is the best Polish prog album (brilliant, but I think that it wouldn't stand against "Memento z banalnym tryptykiem" by SBB.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: April 26 2009 at 17:26

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

Well, I and Tuzvihar are two polish fans of Niemen, Grechuta and Skaldowie and believe that they had a "prog" phase in their musical career. Moreover, if you check the other reknown prog sites : NGEPR and babyblaue, you will find them among other prog artists/bands. On GEPR, Polish fans even wrote a bio for Grechuta and Skaldowie.
Did you listen to Niemen's Enigmatic, Aerolit, Katharsis or Ode to Venus ?
Pozdrawiam

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2009 at 20:08

'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. 

For my taste QUIDAM (they are in neo category on PA) albums with Emila Derkowska are infinitely better.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:21

'Moonshine' is not the only prog album coming out of Poland that deserves the attention of the prog community. However, in the field of neo-prog, it's probably the best album Poland ever delivered. 

For my taste QUIDAM (they are in neo category on PA) albums with Emila Derkowska are infinitely better.

except for the small fact that their best lyrics were written by no one other than Wojciech Szadkowski, Collage's leader and Mr SatelliteSmile

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 11:07

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

Well, I and Tuzvihar are two polish fans of Niemen, Grechuta and Skaldowie and believe that they had a "prog" phase in their musical career. Moreover, if you check the other reknown prog sites : NGEPR and babyblaue, you will find them among other prog artists/bands. On GEPR, Polish fans even wrote a bio for Grechuta and Skaldowie.
Did you listen to Niemen's Enigmatic, Aerolit, Katharsis or Ode to Venus ?
Pozdrawiam

Haha, I was myself great fan of Grechuta and getting into Niemen (his voice irritated me in the 90s). What I meant was, that both Niemen and Grechuta (sadly deceased) earned a cult status in Poland and majority of their audience do not know of prog and therefore do not consider their music as prog. This is why they will laugh at you (checked it myself). Artists themselves possessed wider ideas and did not want to be counted amogst "progressive rock artists".
On the other hand Collage is just an epitome of prog in Poland, you say prog and think "Collage" and "Satellite".
That being said I do not want to prove that Wojciech Szadkowski is better than Niemen or Skrzek. I am just sometimes tired of 'all was better in the 70s' talk.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 12:13

- Breakout's '70 a'
- Klan's 'Mrówisko'

Some people just don't like symphonic prog, it seems. However, if you tell a Polish fan of Niemen or Grechuta or Skaldowie that they are listening to "progressive rock", they will laugh at you.

I might be wrong, but I thought that the topic was about comparing Collage and Satellite and not discussing whether Moonshine is the best Polish prog album (brilliant, but I think that it wouldn't stand against "Memento z banalnym tryptykiem" by SBB.

Your right Raphael T ,this poll isn't about the best album from Poland at all,but about the discography of two similar bands. I just wanted to see if the majority felt like i did about "Moonshine",and it appears they do.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 16:45
^ I only want to tell that the minority does not feel like you about "Moonshine" Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:48
Smile

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 16:16

^ I only want to tell that the minority does not feel like you about "Moonshine" Wink

LOL Point taken.     By the way,when i did this poll i had no idea that Moonshine" would win by a landslide,i just knew for me it stood above the first two Satellite albums.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 16:20
Oh and i prefer RIVERSIDE and INDUKTI to COLLAGE.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 08:20

Same here - in terms of musicality, vocal deliveries and instrumental textures, the Emila years were the best for QUIDAM's career.

Kind regards.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk