Print Page | Close Window

Ever see the word "progressive" used incorrectly?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58642
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 16:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ever see the word "progressive" used incorrectly?
Posted By: paganinio
Subject: Ever see the word "progressive" used incorrectly?
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:43

I just saw a user (not on this site) say that "xxx band is progressive psychedelia". Actually he's talking about a gothic rock band. 

Maybe that was an extreme example, but I do often see people use the word "progressive" to describe things that aren't prog at all. 

Other examples I saw: 

1. "Few people know that Andy Warhol was also a progressive music fan, and that's why he created The Velvet Underground."

2. "This is the first time when MMORPG games meet progressive rock. The music is based on the very popular Guitar Pop genre, and it sounds fresh and natural."

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:56
Progressive music need not refer to Prog (Progressive Rock) -- it can be any music that is deemed progressive, or experimental, in nature.  In fact, progressive (adjective) rock need not be considered Progressive Rock (noun).Not all Prog is truly progressive, but that doesn't stop it being Prog in regards to stylistic qualities, and associations with a Prog movement

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:02
A few years back, my Comcast cable TV had a music channel it called "progressive".  There was nothing progressive about it.  At best, it was slightly alternative.  There is nothing progressive about Hootie & The Blowfish, Sonic Youth...

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:10
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I just saw a user (not on this site) say that "xxx band is progressive psychedelia". Actually he's talking about a gothic rock band. 

Maybe that was an extreme example, but I do often see people use the word "progressive" to describe things that aren't prog at all. 

Other examples I saw: 

1. "Few people know that Andy Warhol was also a progressive music fan, and that's why he created The Velvet Underground."

2. "This is the first time when MMORPG games meet progressive rock. The music is based on the very popular Guitar Pop genre, and it sounds fresh and natural."

As Logan said before me, the bolded quote is an example of how far too many people think that prog = progressive MUSIC. Though The Velvet Underground may not have been prog (though many people would like to see them here for their influence on Krautrock), they sure were a very progressive act, so there is no misuse of the word at all.

Posted By: nightlamp
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:18
The "progressive" label is tossed around rather liberally at Prog Archives imho, so why not anywhere else?  If Dead Can Dance can be progressive, why can't another gothic rock band?

Regarding the Warhol example: in the mid-1960s, "progressive rock" hadn't yet become its own rock subgenre - was simply another descriptor for psychedelic, experimental rock music.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:20
Let's not get started on Flo and vehicle insurance...Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Let's not get started on Flo and vehicle insurance...Tongue
Did Eddie retire, or just get replaced? Big smile

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 13:51
No use use the word is a misuse, as all things progress subjectively in some fashion

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 14:06
Paganinio seem to have misunderstood the term himself, but I've seen progressive used incorrectly many times about Flower Kings, Symphony X, Dream Theater etc.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 14:30
Hi,

Yeah ...

It is done HERE on this very board!

And sometimes I think that too many folks don't even know the meaning of the word "prog" since they are not even listening to enough things that are "prog" ... the objectivity of the word disappears when you stop at top ten bands!

But of course ... everyone here will stand up for their heroes! Because their heroes would never be not that perfect!

For the record ... Andy Warhol did not create "The Velvet Underground" ... there is no relation whatsoever! But the art scene around the time had a lot of these people near enough each other ... that they knew how to help each other and help their scene "make it" ... personally, I don't think that Lou Reed cared for Andy that much ... as he could be awfully vain and Lou Reed is not that type and neither was ANY of the music that band had.

Another one .... "The music is based on the very popular Guitar Pop genre ... " ... not stated 100 % accurately but in a sense it is true and came from the pop music in radio where the likes of Winchester Cathedral and otehr idiotic songs came out as if they were representatives of some kind of psychedelic introspective trip ... it developed from there into a lot more than just a pop song, and credit to that would have to go to NY, London and Paris, three cities that are well known for their experimental arts and music ... and they expanded the realm of the "song" into a lot more ... in London we ended up with the Canterburians and the Harvest families ... in Paris with the rock bands taking Jacques Brel  even further (Ange and several others) and in NY, you can easily bring up a Velvet Underground and some other bands ... and basically all of these ... REJECTED ... not only the "psychedelic" theme, but also the fact that they were not being given any credit for creating literary/artistic works at the time ... of which they were certainly involved and a part of in the first place!

Pop music was a fad ... it ended quickly when you went to SF with flowers in your hair and got raped! And we also mean ideas that disrespect one's musical knowledge and intelligence in favor of "drugs" and an imaginary scene and ideal that never was.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 14:36
Yes, when applied to any form of music

No wait. "Progressive" is an almost completely meaningless term that is only used to be derogatory to non-progressive things.

So, I say that the only reasonable way to use it, to denote they style of music that has been called progressive rock in the past (70s symphonic, mainly) is actually the incorrect way of using it, since it only denotes style and does not actually imply the music is progressing.

Summary:

"Progressive" in the literal sense = completely meaningless elitist term

"Progressive" as a historic genre of music, disregarding whether it is literally progressive music = the only way to use the term without being pompous and elitist.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 14:42
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Paganinio seem to have misunderstood the term himself, but I've seen progressive used incorrectly many times about Flower Kings, Symphony X, Dream Theater etc.

You gotta love that line

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 14:47
HI,

Stonebeard ...

That is perfect ... I could not have done as well myself ... with only one comment ... how "warhol'ian" of you ... but at least you were more original than the soup cans ...

My preference still is ... that we not use the term for a "type or style" of music ... no one, goes around saying that they want to listen to Romantic and Nationalistic music ... when they want to hear Beethoven or Tchaikovsky ... and why the hell would anyone want to be called "progressive" ... specially when one of the very heroes we mention denumks that idea and then some (Robert Fripp) ... and is a well known and studied "actor" with a guitar in his hand ... it's almost like saying that the man is not educated enough and studious enough, that he could never do anything different ... or apply a baroque playing style to his electric guitar with some compression .. to make it sound weirder with Brian Eno in the background!

Some people are very good experiment'rs (is that a word?)

Posted By: KingCrimson250
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 15:13
Yeah, when Peter Gabriel wrote Back in NYC for TLLDOB and used the word "progressive" instead of "liberal" when he was trying to portray an American character Wink

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 15:19
I say that I listen to Romantic and Baroque compositions.  Progressive is a meaningful term, though it can have different connotations.  Progressive music is music that moves music forward and expands on a genre.  It can move a genre forward (expand the frontiers) by looking backward through incorporating elements that are not typical of its genre -- by defying typical genre conventions.  I think that the Renissance was pretty progressive (meands rebirth), but an important way that culture, society, science etc. was moved forward was by looking back to the past (classical era).

I prefer to think of Prog as more of an approach to making music, and movement than a particular style.  It involves rock-based music that explores the potential of rock and expands it through not needing to follow typical rock genre conventions.  A big way it did that is by drawing on other styles of music and bringing into the fold (hybridisation).  Some people think that to be truly progressive you need to invent rather than innovate.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 15:31
We have the Progressive Conservative party in Canada. An oxyMORON if there ever was one. This word progressive has to be one of the most misused word in the English language. As for music genres I think the strangest label I`ve ever come across was someone describing the now defunct Norwegian band Haerskar`s music as progressive folk-metal.

-------------

Posted By: sealchan
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 16:13
For me progressive rock music is that music which takes you on a journey.  It does so with lyrics or instrumental performance.  Often the sense of journey comes from being removed from the conventional, sometimes it comes from length and/or complexity of a song.  The idea is to take you out of the here and now and bring you someplace else.  The song doesn't focus so much on emotion as it does on a more psychological center containing elements both alternate and less accepted by mainstream attitudes.  The more that the lyrics AND the musical style AND the instruments and any other musical aspect strive to remove you from the norm, the more progressive a song is.

For me the progression of musical themes in a long, instrumental or instrumental section (such as a well-crafted solo or "jam" in the middle of a song) is the essence of progressive rock.  So when Yes created the song "Starship Trooper" with its three sections which roll together and end with a great progressive jam, that is archetypal of what I think of as progressive rock.  Perhaps In the Court of the Crimson King accomplishes the "progressive" musical type by being an album of exoticness and long solos and wanderings through places both quiet ("Moonchild"), disquieting ("21st Century Schizoid Man")  and grand ("The Court of the Crimson King"). 

When Genesis created the songs "Firth of Fifth" and "The Cinema Show" you also get archetypal examples of the progressive rock song.  I was just listening to "Sheep" by Pink Floyd and noting how the whole song goes back and forth in extended passages of surging forward then downshifting, then surging forward again while the lyrics are painting the perspective of the animal onto the experience of humanity. 

And the most satisfying aspect of a progressive rock song for me is the climax that comes when the instruments play at their most energetic and the volume is the greatest and the mood is the most ecstatic or powerful.  Then there is a sense of a progression to either a higher plane (Jungian perspective, lol) or some sort of emotional release (Freudian perspective, lol). 

I guess another element of a great progressive song and one that defines what progressive rock means to me is that a certain theme is worked repeatedly on the instrument.  That theme may encounter a few or a great many influences along the way but it comes out a bit stronger in the end.  This is common in songs I think except that most pop songs and songs of other genres down build up to the final chorus so much as the final chorus concludes the song.  The idea being that you start in one place and get somewhere else, somewhere better, somewhere clearer...and not just finish off your mood or idea with a brief instrumental ornamentation.  So the flatter the "progression" of the song, the less progressive it is.  Progressive rock takes you "higher" whether in a psychodelic sense, spiritual sense or other sense. 

Anyway I am just trying to get at what I see the central characteristics of progressive rock to be and how a single song can best capture what that word means to me.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 16:14
Yes... when it's used as a synonym of "good".

-------------

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 16:28
^Indeed. I also enjoy the idea that progressive is a "sound" or "style". As if things weren't entirely subjective, already.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 16:38
If you're using it as an adjective, then it's relative and should be quantified.

There was a progressive music scene in the late 1960s that Warhol/Velvet Underground were part of - and it preceeded what we now call Progressive Rock, so this usage is correct.

One of the main points of progressive music to me is that it isn't a particular sound or stlye - or how could it be progressive?

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 17:17
deleted

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 17:24

Yeah, also about Magma, some of that RIO crap, and MotW... I mean really, how has that music, along with the bands you mentioned, really progressed music at all? I mean name one f**king legitimate way...

Let's face it, "progressive" as it's mainly referred to has come to be used to describe a genre... or even just a mindset about music... not music that is "breaking new ground" whatever that even means at this point.

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 17:41
I saw progressive referred to 30 Seconds to Mars once on an iTunes classification thing.Wacko

Not as surprising being on a forum, but one user referred to Children of Bodom as progressive metal.

-------------

Posted By: Jethro's Toe
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 19:16
As others have stated totally subjective term. One exception....when associated with polka :)

-------------
"How can you be in two places at once; when your not anywhere at all?" Firesign Theater

Posted By: eddz
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 19:32
Incorrectly in what way?

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 19:41
Well progressive alone may mean anything, from The Beach Boys to early REM, but I remember a phrase:

Collins Genesis is the true Progressive Rock band, because they progressed from ATOTT to Invisible Touch. Dead

Ahh I remember another one from a newbie who left after one post:

What kind of Prog Archives is this, you don't have any Progressive House LOL

Well he didn't left after his post, he left after the replies Wink

Iván

-------------

Posted By: eddz
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 19:41
Originally posted by eddz eddz wrote:

Incorrectly in what way?

In reference the comment on The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, and Symphony X.

Isn't Dream Theater a huge contributor to progressive metal, a band which "progressed" both heavy metal and prog rock?  I can't say for Symphony X or The Flower Kings, they're just both good

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 20:09
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

We have the Progressive Conservative party in Canada. An oxyMORON if there ever was one. This word progressive has to be one of the most misused word in the English language. As for music genres I think the strangest label I`ve ever come across was someone describing the now defunct Norwegian band Haerskar`s music as progressive folk-metal.

Oh god, let's not bring politics into it.....

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 20:27
"Progressive Conservative" does present an apparent contradiction.

As for DT.  I, too, think it's contribution certainly can be considered progressive in that it progressed metal (maybe it's not so progressive anymore).  And Magma progressed rock.  One doesn't need to invent a new musical vocabularly to be innovative or to expand genre boundaries. 

One really doesn't need to break new ground to be progressive in terms of advancement, development, and improvement/ refinement (a difference also between being innovative and inventive).

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 23:09

Incorrectly in what way?

In reference the comment on The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, and Symphony X.

Isn't Dream Theater a huge contributor to progressive metal, a band which "progressed" both heavy metal and prog rock?  I can't say for Symphony X or The Flower Kings, they're just both good

In terms of prog as a musical genre, it's not incorrect to call SX and TFK prog either, regardless of how creative or nor they are.  What I don't follow as far as the prog metal scene goes is the classification of bands like Nightwish or Epica as prog metal, because I don't hear anything there as progressive as Iron Maiden's Powerslave-SSOASS phase or their last three albums for that matter.  But Mike makes a distinction between symphonic metal/rock as in Evanescence and more sophisticated bands like the above bands and I wouldn't really argue with such a distinction either...especially if it makes more people get into metal.  Wink

Posted By: progmetalhead
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 02:23

I agree totally, I can't believe how etc can even dare call themselves progressive.

I always thought them to be more mainstream.

But then what the hell do I know, like you, I mainly talk to plants and dogs! Wink Tongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112" rel="nofollow - http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 03:10

^STFU n00b, etc is possibly the most progressive band ever.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Yeah, also about Magma, some of that RIO crap, and MotW... I mean really, how has that music, along with the bands you mentioned, really progressed music at all? I mean name one f**king legitimate way...

Let's face it, "progressive" as it's mainly referred to has come to be used to describe a genre... or even just a mindset about music... not music that is "breaking new ground" whatever that even means at this point.

I think of prog as describing the genre. The word progressive is not the same. Magma really did create something unique, and broke new ground. They are both prog and progressive in every way.

The bands I mentioned are not. They might have a musical relation with the defined 70's progscene, but they are not progressive, so that would be using the word incorrectly.

(I've never written anything about MotW's or every existing RIO band's progressiveness, so I see no reason why I should reply to your moronic, aggressive questioning. But if you can't hear any more progressiveness in Art Zoyd, Univers Zero or Art Zoyd than in those earlier mentioned bands, I can't see how anyone can help you understand by writing some "legitimate" reasons)

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 04:13
90% of the bands here, are reinventing music idears from 68-79, thats 30-40 years ago, so maby we should just rename the hole thing to Conservarcives LOL

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 09:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I say that I listen to Romantic and Baroque compositions.  Progressive is a meaningful term, though it can have different connotations.  Progressive music is music that moves music forward and expands on a genre.  It can move a genre forward (expand the frontiers) by looking backward through incorporating elements that are not typical of its genre -- by defying typical genre conventions.  I think that the Renissance was pretty progressive (meands rebirth), but an important way that culture, society, science etc. was moved forward was by looking back to the past (classical era).

Essentially, the very word would suggest something transitional and that would include intelligent enough musicians that would mix various concepts at hand ... something that the intelligenzia in this board has a hard time dealing with otherwise they would open up and clean up the list to reflect the very definition that you suggested.

To me, listening to Topographic Oceans, is no different than listening to a Mahler Symphony ... (I've heard Bethoven's too many times ... hehe) ... or something else ... and I find it weird when someone says that blah and blah is not progressive and a band that has considerably less musical talent and learned content gets 3 or 4 mentions ... it is a list for top of the (progressive) pops ... and has nothing to do with the real thing or music progression and experiments that you suggest ... and that is the only thing I reject.

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 09:44
Originally posted by King Crimson776

Originally posted by Rocktopus

Actually things like Magma make a lot more sense to music and in a musical context if you leave America for a few years and go enjoy music through out Europe ... but since that's not an option for a lot of prog specialists here in this board, comments like this go through ... and that's sad.

In many ways, Magma has Carl Orff and a classical music tradition to thank a lot more than it does rock music, played by un-educated idiots that would not know music if they saw it in their face or sleep.  However ... I'm not going to be cynical and say that they have no talent ... and can not create something new, for many of them do! And music history is sull of these examples!

So, if you don't think, or more than likely do not understand, or get what someone like Magma and a lot of the more weird and abstract folks are doing ... at least give them the benefit of the doubt ... not everyone is stupid and does not know what they are doing ... and you should really take a good listen to those choral arrangements in Magma ... they are insane! And they can do it in concert! And blow your sox off! Let me tell you that a 15 minute standing ovation in SF was so emotional that Christian had tears in his eyes ... but you wouldn't care?

Maybe that's what doesn't interest you?

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 09:54
The terms "progressive house" and "progressive trance" are pissing me off. Not because I think dance music fans doesn't have a right to call their subgenres what they like - on the contrary  -  perhaps they really are progressive from their point of view...

...but what annoys me is the fact that above mentioned are acknowledged as music tags and progressive rock is not, in some music data bases. When you're searching for some relevant data on the Internet it can be very confusing.

Rant over.

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 11:55
Oh, no! In moshkito's post it kind of looks like I posted the stupid comment together with 776. How embarrassing.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:04

Oh, no! In moshkito's post it kind of looks like I posted the stupid comment together with 776. How embarrassing.
Don't worry.

Your post was stupid too.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I say that I listen to Romantic and Baroque compositions.  Progressive is a meaningful term, though it can have different connotations.  Progressive music is music that moves music forward and expands on a genre.  It can move a genre forward (expand the frontiers) by looking backward through incorporating elements that are not typical of its genre -- by defying typical genre conventions.  I think that the Renaissance was pretty progressive ([renaissance]means rebirth), but an important way that culture, society, science etc. was moved forward was by looking back to the past (classical era).

Essentially, the very word would suggest something transitional and that would include intelligent enough musicians that would mix various concepts at hand ... something that the intelligentsia in this board has a hard time dealing with otherwise they would open up and clean up the list to reflect the very definition that you suggested.

To me, listening to Topographic Oceans, is no different than listening to a Mahler Symphony ... (I've heard Beethoven's too many times ... hehe) ... or something else ... and I find it weird when someone says that blah and blah is not progressive and a band that has considerably less musical talent and learned content gets 3 or 4 mentions ... it is a list for top of the (progressive) pops ... and has nothing to do with the real thing or music progression and experiments that you suggest ... and that is the only thing I reject.

I don't care much for top lists (I like what I like, and what I like best tends to differ from the more "mainstream" Prog crowd). Related comments: What bothers me somewhat is that cookie-cutter Prog (Prog by numbers) flourishes as much as it does these days.  Instead of looking at different hybridisations, and different approaches to progressive rock, too many bands have become too generic/ formulaic (they try to sound Prog rather than have a progressive mindset).  Also, the audience commonly is not as accepting of music that does not conform to their Prog expectations as I would like.  Of course it's easier to find a fit for a modern band that sounds like an older band, and is conventional.  I'd rather more be included that are unconventional in approach and expand our notions of what rock, and Prog, can be (partially through unusual fusions of styles).  Then others will build on that....  Building on fits prog; just copying other prog acts is less satisfying. 

Incidentally, you mention transition, and I like that.  Rock in transition.... As progressive rock advances, in some cases, farther away from its rock roots, one can expect more so-called progressive rock that hardly resembles rock at all.... Band/ artists that are building on lesser-rock artists, and the rock element becomes less and less, yet falls under prog by association.  Post-post rock etc. ;)

Regarding Magma again, yes I'm a fanboy, while it incorporated its influences into its musical frameworks, I do think it was pretty groundbreaking in its compositions.  It's an often imitated band, and in this case, I haven't found any imitators that exceed it.  Art Zoyd is another favourite of mine that drew on Magma (though I wouldn't call it imitation so much as influenced by).  Art Zoyd is great on its own terms.

-------------

Posted By: Little Sir John
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 16:35
I agree with you Logan.

But, I would like to say that I disagree with saying that progressive is a meaningless term.
First off, no word is meaningless.
"Progressive" has just become a confusing word because of all the uses of it that go beyond it's dictionary definition. I think where it looses a lot of its meaning is in art.
Progress is real. There can be progress in science, politics, or there can be social progress. There is also progress in art, but it can be very subjective.
It basically means good change. The problem is, people can different opinions about quality.
So the real issue is not that the word has no meaning, it's just that people see quality differently.
But that does not mean that it has no meaning. Progressive Rock is progressive. That's because it gave good changes to rock music. The kind of quality found in Progressive Rock is indisputable. Other music can be progressive, because it changes music in a good way. This does not necessarily mean it changes it in the same way Progressive Rock does. It might not add the same kind of quality, but in some way, the music is changed for the better.
So I think the word has a lot of meaning and that it is a very good word. The world would be nowhere without progress and without progressive ideas.

-------------
"I just felt we were capable of breaking new ground... with a vengeance."
~Jon Anderson

Posted By: Valdez
Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 22:09
What bands (artists) are actually making progress these days?    Very few.  I would check out  JAMES or AVESTINS playlists before I put on another YES album.

-------------
http://bakullama.com

Posted By: meptune
Date Posted: June 11 2009 at 00:26
I had a student tell me that he likes prog, especially Dragon Force! Guess I got some teachin' to do.

-------------

"Arf, she said"

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: June 11 2009 at 18:51
Whats wrong with the Velvet Underground example?  Have you never listened to the Velvet Underground?

However, that is a false statement none the less, since he had nothing to do with really creating the Velvets. 

Posted By: brainerd
Date Posted: June 16 2009 at 17:43
It annoys me that Coheed And Cambria consider themselves a progressive rock band, when they clearly aren't  'progressive' in any sense of the word apart from occasionally sounding slightly like Rush. That is all.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk