Print Page | Close Window

Porcupine Tree new album "The Incident" 9/21/09

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58722
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 19:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Porcupine Tree new album "The Incident" 9/21/09
Posted By: Evan
Subject: Porcupine Tree new album "The Incident" 9/21/09
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:24
"Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident".  The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.” 

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.

Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon.  The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards."

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=38472624&blogID=494486027 - http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=38472624&blogID=494486027

Replies:
Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:55
Wow!

Sounds great... I'll have to get this one when it comes out, hopefully in some sort of special edition...

Sounds great though.

-------------

Posted By: Dennis
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:00
Let me be one of the first PA Forum members to say how excited I am about this info. PT seems to evolve and get better and better. Certainly they are one of the best prog bands on the planet these days. I'm surprised that we get the name of the album and all of the songs titles in advance this time out, unlike the previous album. A double CD, with a 55 minute track? Wow, I'm sure it will be great! Can't wait to see them in September in Los Angeles! WOooo.....WHooo! Clap  

-------------
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:27
HOLY CRAP, BATMAN!Tongue

This couldn't have gone over well with the label.  Probably no radio hits on this one.Wink

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:29
Nice! PT at it again, those rascals!

-------------
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:50

Sounds like the Tree have been busy little bees. I can't wait.

Now all I have to do is convince them to come to NZ!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 20:36
Something to remember is coming in September?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 22:16
Oo, that sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what Wilson does with a massive song cycle like that. Also, the four song EP sounds like a good call, too... I mean, they aren't desperate to fill up an entire second disc, but only released what they deem worthy. A lot of prog bands could use that sense of care, I think. (I'm thinking of the Flower Kings, with their hour long song and another hour or so to the whole album). Should be neat.

-------------

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:18
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

You and me both Clap

A new album is exciting enough as it is though! I cant wait to see Wislon really let loese on a 55 minute song Big smile

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 01:45
I'll join you in the bid to get them to the Land of the Long White Cloud!

Posted By: PinkPangolin
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 04:02
Yahoo!  I can't wait - sounds awesome!!

Trouble is - the shows are selling out - so get in quick - PT are getting a bit too big maybe.

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:44

Right, that makes 3 of us - it's a start.

When I heard about the 55 minute cycle, I just about died of excitement. Big smile 

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:47
maybe the tour will be the 55 minute cycle to lead the set Big smile

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:50
Looking forward to this release - roll on September Big smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 09:35
They could have picked a better name. Wink

But nevertheless looking forward to it. Sounds like it has the potential to be better than FOABP (which I didn't think was a high point for PT). AND I'm glad they aren't releasing the EP seperately like every other damn time.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 09:40
I'm just curious how they'll fit that on a vinyl disc. I guess it could be done with two discs (4 sides), but they'll have to split the long track quite evenly ... but maybe they already considered that while recording it.

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Posted By: enemyofthesundevils
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 13:34

Christmas has come early!Woo hoo!Cmon September!Now if they can just come back to Texas like they have every other tour then i'll be the luckiest dude alive.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:50
Really looking forward to this - it should be one of the releases of the year. I hope they tour it in WalesSmile

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

it should be one of the releases of the year.

Seeing as how it's being released this year, how could it be anything else? Tongue
Personally, I think they are holding out on us, it could be one the releases being released now.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:44
I can't wait for the new CD.  My brother purchased the 2CD version of Signify today, which reminded me that they are releasing another album this year. Smile

Posted By: Nipsey88
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 21:34
Smile

Hope they come through Asheville NC again, it was easily the smallest venue (and least packed for that matter) that I've ever seen them in. Course, then I go visit friends in DC and just see 'em again.

Can't wait.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nipsey88/?chartstyle=myspace02" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Collapsus
Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 09:31
I'll see them in Montreal on setptember 30 ! Hope they will play their 55 minutes-long song...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 14:09

OKAY, I'M EXCITED NOW!!

ClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: June 18 2009 at 08:31
I'm really looking forward to the album and the tour, I also hope they'll release those audio previews soon!Big smile

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 18 2009 at 16:21
Something that was passed on to me earlier:

Occam's Razor 1:55
The Blind House 5:47
Great Expectations 1:26
Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
Drawing the Line 4:43
The Incident 5:20
Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
Time Flies 11:40
Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
Octane Twisted 5:03
The Séance 2:39
Circle of Manias 2:18
I Drive the Hearse 6:41

All tracks by SW except Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias which are group compositions (besides the 4 other pieces on the separate ep).

Like I posted this AM, I truly do not know what to make of the new PT. It was almost too overwhelming to take in at one sitting, and for me, certainly NOT a CD/LP I could just sit down and immediately come away with a definitive impression of from the moment I heard it. In most cases, for me anyway, this is normally a very good thing, as many of my all time fave records were ones that I wasn't immediately struck by, but I am not sure if this is how it will play out with the new PT, and I did not get a promo copy so I'll have to sit it out like everyone else until the CD is released to get my next listen...

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

The Blind House was pretty immediate as well, retro PT acoustic references, harmonies, with some very heavy sustained guitar histrionics as well.

Circle of Manias is the real powerhouse riff monster (along with Octane Twisted if memory serves me right) with tons of Meshuggah-like riffs clashing and crashing along in a torrent of angular time changes and odd meters. This has a similar vibe to Mother and Child Divided, but is much heavier and more angular and f**ked up... Oh, yeah, on this one, SW plays a new Baritone guitar that PRS made for him exclusively !

Drive the Hearse was actually a surprise, as I expected it to be dark and heavy to coincide with the lyrics and song title, but it's not. It's more "song oriented" with a memorable chorus and some really lovely acoustic moments backed with some spooky/eerie synth textures and a soaring solo fade out...

The other track that really got my attention was The Incident, which is, well crushingly funky (as in heavy electronica funk), this song is twisted and really will kick ass live I am betting... Lot's of weird synthy textures and if I had to point to any specific reference point it would be Sleep Together, but without all the strings. This track is more streamlined and stealthy...

Only one major disconnect for me that stood out from the listening session, and that was Drawing the Line. This might be the first PT song I can honestly say I immediately did NOT like much at all right away... Not digging the chorus at all and actually felt uncomfortable listening to it, which was a weird experience. It may grow on me , but somehow I doubt it... Please don't let my opinion cloud yours though when you finally get and opportunity to check it out !

The rest of the experience is all just too fuzzy at this point, sleep deprivation is clouding my memory and judgment so I'll stop there on my review of the individual and the whole...

Again, I think this is definitely a situation where it's going to take a few listens for me to fully wrap my head around and appreciate what is going on in this new release... I will say this though, it was my impression that this music was definitely inspired by and influenced by SW's experiences making Insurgentes. I can't put my finger on it, but I had a distinct feeling that Insurgentes had a profound effect on his writing for this new PT project. Perhaps it's just me, but we shall see....

A couple of tidbits extra.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=78705 - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=78705

In the video the opening sequence of guitar chords is from Occam's Razor which opens the album, and the synthy freak out bits Richard is playing is (I believe) from The Incident. Also, the acoustic bit SW's is playing is from Time Flies. The rest of the snippets of music are too short and detached from the rest of the recordings for me to place after just one sitting.

"SpectreofDeath" post on http://www.porcupinetreeforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1229460350/975 - Porcupine Tree forum .

Thanks to Eric from http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/News.htm - Power Windows for the heads up.

Posted By: Cruithne3753
Date Posted: June 19 2009 at 19:41
Engage Salivation Mode : Salivation Mode engaged

Posted By: OzzProg
Date Posted: June 19 2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by Collapsus Collapsus wrote:

I'll see them in Montreal on setptember 30 ! Hope they will play their 55 minutes-long song...

I'll be seeing you there! The Metropolis is such a cozy venue. This will be my first time seeing PT live, and all I can say for myself and the friends coming with me is; "WOO!OOOO!!!"

!!!ClapClapClap

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/Ozzprog" rel="nofollow - Soundcloud

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 20 2009 at 10:24

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: OneOrangeLight
Date Posted: June 20 2009 at 16:52
Looking forward to this release! 

One Orange Light
http://www.oneorangelight.com

-------------
One Orange Light
http://www.oneorangelight.com

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 13:56

Finally they release something over forty minutes. It's about time PT! Wink

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Finally they release something over forty minutes. It's about time PT! Wink

Do you mean songs (including song cycles/phases) over 40 minutes, or albums?

Posted By: superprog
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 23:08
title is a lil urrgggh, same for FOABP but oh well so long as the music slays............prog on PT!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 23 2009 at 03:19
Yes...fantastic news. Great to see the band being prolific in terms of releasing studio material too. Few would argue, the best modern day prog band aroundThumbs Up

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: June 23 2009 at 08:10
Actually, I think plenty would argue that. :P

-------------

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: June 23 2009 at 09:12
Has the new city in the USA been added? It was supposed to be a locale 4 hours from NYC. 

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:10
Hmm, they seem to be getting back to their Prog influence in a big way this time around! Sounds like a Six Degrees type deal. Maybe all that hanging out with the DT guys led to this?

Anyway, I am truly excited to see this happening. I loved FoaBP, but I know a lot of people here didn't, so hopefully this one will win over the skeptics of modern PT music, because this sounds like a return to from to me. Clap

P.S. Steve Wilson should spend more time here on the Archives so that we could hear some of the updates first-hand. Just sayin'

Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Hmm, they seem to be getting back to their Prog influence in a big way this time around! Sounds like a Six Degrees type deal. Maybe all that hanging out with the DT guys led to this?

Anyway, I am truly excited to see this happening. I loved FoaBP, but I know a lot of people here didn't, so hopefully this one will win over the skeptics of modern PT music, because this sounds like a return to from to me. Clap

P.S. Steve Wilson should spend more time here on the Archives so that we could hear some of the updates first-hand. Just sayin'

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT ever associate Porcupine Tree with the Dream Wanckers. Angry

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT ever associate Porcupine Tree with the Dream Wanckers. Angry

LOL

LOL Well, I'm the first to say DT has lost their touch by this point, where as Steve's band seems to get better and better with age! I'm truly excited about this new release!!!

Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 14:31

LOL

LOL Well, I'm the first to say DT has lost their touch by this point, where as Steve's band seems to get better and better with age! I'm truly excited about this new release!!!

Actually I have hope that DT will return to Prog greatness, but the last two releases have really put a strain on that hope.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 14:55

LOL

Actually I have hope that DT will return to Prog greatness, but the last two releases have really put a strain on that hope.

Too true, Cry Although 8vM was masterful, most of their post-SFaM releases haven't really spoken to me.

I think PT is a good example of a band that continues to reinvent itself with each entry. It's really the only way you can keep from becoming stale musically in my opinion.

Other good examples of this are Tool, PoS, and (though I don't like their newer stuff, I have to admit, they do something new every time) TMV.

I've missed the long-winded side of Steve Wilson. Hell, ever since "Sky Moves Sideways" he hasn't really written anything "epic". This will be a great album, I can already tell. PT wouldn't go this lengthy route unless they really had something good and worth sharing on their hands. Very excited, I am! Clap

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: June 26 2009 at 15:14

The concept of the suite sounds really cool =D

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/PORCUPINE-TREE-REVEAL-DETAILS-OF-THE-INCIDENT-20315.aspx - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/PORCUPINE-TREE-REVEAL-DETAILS-OF-THE-INCIDENT-20315.aspx

Posted By: kenmartree
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 09:45

anyone know why they are starting the tour before the album is released.  I"m sure it wil still be great listening to "the incident" for the first time live.  However given my choice I'd like to digest the music for a while at home before the show.

kenmar

Posted By: OzzProg
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 15:14
I enjoy hearing new material live first, it always makes you like it more (in all my cases of doing so)

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/Ozzprog" rel="nofollow - Soundcloud

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 17:29
I've got my tickets for the Manchester Academy Big smile

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 18:41
Paris, L'Olympia, October 13 is my name Cool

Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 18:51
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Paris, L'Olympia, October 13 is my name Cool

That's my birthday!

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 19:18
I know. Mine too. Approve

Just imagine Mr. Wilson stopping mid-concert and saying "And now for our fan and friend Alex from ProgArchives, "Haaaapyyyy biiiirrtthhhdaaaaaayyyy tooooooooo yooooouuuuuu..............". Great show. Cool

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 21:57
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

The concept of the suite sounds really cool =D

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/PORCUPINE-TREE-REVEAL-DETAILS-OF-THE-INCIDENT-20315.aspx - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/PORCUPINE-TREE-REVEAL-DETAILS-OF-THE-INCIDENT-20315.aspx

Indeed!

Very PT.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 22:04
Woah, that sounds like prog. ;-)

And as for that name...

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 22:12
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

And as for that name...

Hey, it's a better album title than "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". Tongue

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: June 28 2009 at 22:20

A fair point, good sir.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: June 29 2009 at 02:12
great news - though if it is as half as good as "fear ..." and four times as good as "insurgentes" i will be happy Wink

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Date Posted: June 29 2009 at 03:11

Or Australia, then YOU can come over here

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2009 at 07:01

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

And as for that name...

Hey, it's a better album title than "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". Tongue

LOL

Agreed!

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2009 at 19:46
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Or Australia, then YOU can come over here

If they tour Australia and not NZ, then maybe I'll have to find some cheap airfares...

Date Posted: June 30 2009 at 20:10
I'm sure 'Bonnie The Cat' will be a pr0g masterpiece! Wink

Posted By: -Radioswim-
Date Posted: July 05 2009 at 14:11
I got my tickets for SEP 22, Chicago IL. It's at a smaller venue, so I'll be right up in front. Maybe I'll even shake steve's hand and thank him for the great years of prog :)

-------------

Dust in the Kitchen

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 13:06
I meant song cycles. Course they've released albums over forty minutes.Smile

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 01:56
Check out the audio preview, tasty.

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 06:20

Check out the audio preview, tasty.

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

It sounds amazing, the album is really something I'm looking forward to!

Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 17:22
Hey! It doesn't suck!

-------------

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 19:13
Sounds interesting - I think this one will take a little while to grow on me.

From the PT website, http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm#1683 - http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm#1683 , some details about the different versions of the release (also a week earlier than originally announced):

07-13-2009

A medley of extracts from The Incident is now available to listen to on the http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree - Porcupine Tree myspace page , or the http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/ - Roadrunner UK website (from 4PM UK today).

Written and recorded between September-May, "The Incident" is the tenth studio album by Porcupine Tree. Released worldwide by Roadrunner on 14th September (one week earlier than previously announced in order to coincide with the first tour dates), the album is a 2 disc set, the first disc containing the 55 minute title track / song cycle, and the second CD featuring 4 shorter pieces. There will be 3 editions of the album; a standard 2 CD set, a deluxe edition (contents to be confirmed), and a double vinyl version.

I wonder what the extra content will be on the deluxe edition...

Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 19:16
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Sounds interesting - I think this one will take a little while to grow on me.

From the PT website, http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm#1683 - http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm#1683 , some details about the different versions of the release (also a week earlier than originally announced):

07-13-2009

A medley of extracts from The Incident is now available to listen to on the http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree - Porcupine Tree myspace page , or the http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/ - Roadrunner UK website (from 4PM UK today).

Written and recorded between September-May, "The Incident" is the tenth studio album by Porcupine Tree. Released worldwide by Roadrunner on 14th September (one week earlier than previously announced in order to coincide with the first tour dates), the album is a 2 disc set, the first disc containing the 55 minute title track / song cycle, and the second CD featuring 4 shorter pieces. There will be 3 editions of the album; a standard 2 CD set, a deluxe edition (contents to be confirmed), and a double vinyl version.

I wonder what the extra content will be on the deluxe edition...

Possibly a 5.1 mix?

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 21:23
Is it just me or does time flies sound like SW paid homage to Animals?

Still sounds sweet, deluxe edition here I come (provided it is worth it)

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 06:48

Umm, I am being dense, but which part of the medley is time flies? And if you forgive me for asking, how did you know? Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 07:03

Umm, I am being dense, but which part of the medley is time flies? And if you forgive me for asking, how did you know? Smile

At the 3:35 mark in the medley Steven Sings: "But after a while, you realize time flies".

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 07:08
I don't really think it sounds like Animals though, maybe the high chords a little bit like Sheep, but I don't think it is menth to sound like Animals. 

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 16:53
Originally posted by floydispink floydispink wrote:

At the 3:35 mark in the medley Steven Sings: "But after a while, you realize time flies".

Yes, that is what I was referring to, just sounds similar, in a good way Big smile

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 17:32
I hear some "Collapse the Light" and "Last Chance" in the clip.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2009 at 18:35
It definitely sounds more varied in sound than the doom and gloom of Fear of a Blank Planet. Maybe we can get a grab bag of PTisms like Lightbulb Sun mixed with Signify...

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: sampo
Date Posted: July 15 2009 at 06:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

It definitely sounds more varied in sound than the doom and gloom of Fear of a Blank Planet. Maybe we can get a grab bag of PTisms like Lightbulb Sun mixed with Signify...

THAT i'd like, considering that LS and Signify are my personal favourites in the catalogue Smile

Date Posted: July 16 2009 at 06:46
Some reviews of The Incident
http://fzdolfan.posterous.com/stream-new-porcupine-tree-check-out-fan-revie - http://fzdolfan.posterous.com/stream-new-porcupine-tree-check-out-fan-revie

http://fzdolfan.posterous.com/stream-new-porcupine-tree-check-out-fan-revie - STREAM NEW PORCUPINE TREE, CHECK OUT FAN REVIEWS

New York, NY (Top40 Charts/ RoadRunner Records) - You can now stream a medley of several songs from Porcupine Tree's upcoming album, The Incident, due out this September.

Recently, the band played the album to key media and some competition winners. We asked some of the attending competition winners if they would be willing to write up thier thoughts on the new record and they were only too happy to oblige.

Here are two of our favorite write-ups:

Just how do you describe a listening experience like that which I have been privy to? A musical movement that carries your emotions along through its monstrous highs and languid depths, one which captivates your from that first chord to the fading out of its last - some 55 minutes later, and one which you wish you could relive over again. Just how do you describe that to someone? Well, let's start by telling you just what that listening experience was... for those that have yet to guess, I'm of course referring to Porcupine Tree's latest opus, The Incident.

I can't attest to being a 'massive' prog fan. I own no Pink Floyd, and not much Genesis or Rush. But I hasten to point out that I do know good music when I hear it, and PT have ticked all those boxes for me in the past: awesome sonic soundscapes created with utter mastery of music and melody. When I heard on the grapevine that they were planning a 55 minute song I was excited, and couldn't wait to see how this was interpreted and realised in the final product... and yesterday, I had my chance.

To some, I'm sure the '55 minute running time' is a bit off-putting - just how can a song last that long? To a dedicated PT fan, this is a salivating proposition, but to a 'normal' music fan? 'Daunting' is the word I'd use. Let's set things straight here - this is no Catch 33 by Meshuggah (another epically long 'song' put out a couple of years ago). For me, that particular album dragged and a lot of the rhythms wore thin after a short while. Porcupine Tree have crafted an album that seems like it's over in an instant, but is massively Moorish - more-so than crack to a desperate junkie. What makes this passage of time so speedy is how the 'song cycle' (to quote Mr. Wilson) blends seamlessly and really does take the listener on an emotional journey. Ideas and themes re-emerge before giving way to the next inspirational idea. It really was a captivating listen that I wish I could replay, but sadly is one I cannot.

So, what can you expect? You've definitely got a PT album on your hands, and one which really explores the depths of what the band is, and it really does bring out the best in them. I would love to say of the 'Floyd' influences... but, as I've already attested to, I'm no 'Prog-maestro', so a comment such as that would be futile from myself. Essentially, if you're a PT fan you're going to simply love the exquisite production values (5.1 mix especially!) and the attention to detail you've come to love and adore from the band. I can honestly say that I've not heard an album that makes me sit up and think 'wow, this is special' for quite some time now, well, if we were to eradicate Mastodon's Crack The Skye from my memory anyway. But what for the non-PT fans, and the curious listener? If you appreciate music, whether from the current roster of 'rockstars' or from yesteryear, then there really is something here that demands your attention. Much like that first taste of love, you'll be back for more.

Just wait until you hear the haunting chanted chorus of 'Octane Twisted', or the mournful tale of loss in 'Time Flies'. Also, who'd have thought that a song about a motorway accident ('The Incident') could be so insightful and beautiful? And there-in lies the solution to my initial question: how do you describe what I've heard? Beautiful. It's a savage, raw and untamed beauty - much like the natural world that surrounds us: for every moment of peace and tranquillity, there is turmoil and upheaval. The listener truly is taken on a ride lyrically and musically, and invited into Steven Wilson's world for 55 minutes.

I, for one, just wish I was back there in that world. Lamentably I'll have to wait until mid-September to once again hear those blissful sounds when I pick up the album, and I suggest that you do the same.

~ AARON EVERITT

Occam's Razor is an instrumental that begins with alternating crashing and gentle acoustic guitars before moving into a cave-like space and calm before climbing out with spiral guitar riffing before leading straight into the vocals of The Blind House. This is a lovely clean song, beautifully produced again moving forward as if swimming and then again into some marvellous rhythms and riffs to finish. Great Expectations follows, which is a very short piece, very minimal with some beautiful guitar work. Already I was bowled over by the shear range of PT's music, so much contrast in what is essentially one track with many movements. Track 4, Kneel and Disconnect had a greater presence of keyboards and what sounded like a xylophone and to me had some real King Crimson overtones. This moved on to Drawing the Line which is probably the most different track of them all, it is difficult to put a finger on exactly why, especially after only one listen but suffice to say that it could really grow one me with time.

The Incident starts in a very similar vein to the material from Fear of a Blank Planet, PT's last album, with many whispers, spoken vocals, industrial tension and distorted vocals and guitars. I loved the way the last phrase is repeated over and over at the end of the track before moving into Your Unpleasant Family which despite the name has some very definite Beatles' influences. Steve really hits the high notes on this one. The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train is a really contrasting track which has overtones of Sigur Ros to start and then it slides into probably the definitive track of the album, Time Flies. This is clearly a nod to the music of Pink Floyd though still very much PT at heart. It reminded me a lot of the Album Animals with brilliant bass riffs and some superb guitar work. A real masterpiece!

The next two tracks, Degree Zero of Liberty and Octane Twisted, could not be more different to Time Flies. Much harder and riffy, a slight oriental feel from the former and very Opeth from the latter. That said as for all PT material the mixing is incredible and the contrast between the heavy industrial riffs and the quiet spaces is amazing. For me I think Octane Twisted is my second favourite of the album. Then before you can draw breath The Seance starts which in stark contrast takes one back almost to the time of Stupid Dream, before plunging back into Circle of Manias which has could be compared with some of the heavier material from the In Absentia album. The track stops abruptly moving into silence for a second or so before gentle vocals take us into the final and quite beautiful track, I Drive the Hearse. Colin plays a lovely fretless bass and the melody is not as sad as the title suggests. A fitting end to in my opinion is a brilliant album.

There is amazing contrast, light and shade but the production is incredible and everyone in the band is able to shine. My only worry will be how this will be played live as there will be a lot of equipment changes and Steve is going to need to keep his vocal chords in good working order.

After having only listened to this once, I know I am going to listen to it again and again and again. The only thing is that I am going to have to wait until September until that happens!!

~ EWAN KELLAR

-------------

Posted By: IGNEO1991
Date Posted: July 17 2009 at 11:57
I hope this is a better album than ' fear of a blank planet'... i found FOABP a bit cheesy or corny in my opinion. For example, in FOABP, wilson seemed to have adopted a new vocal style in certian parts of the album ( he seemd to put on a bit of an american accent), which didnt really seem very 'wilsony' to me. However you have to respect the change in musical direction which is necessary if you are on your 10th studio album. But i just hope 'the incident' returns to some of porcupine tree's origional classic progressive roots, than trying to get even heavier  

Date Posted: July 17 2009 at 12:02
I also hope for this too! i didnt really like FOABP- corny - trying to be too clever with the death metal aspect... it doesnt really fit porcupine tree in my opinion when they play that stuff. i like a bit of prog death metal, but i dont like it when PT  are incorporating it into their music

Date Posted: July 17 2009 at 12:02
Originally posted by IGNEO1991 IGNEO1991 wrote:

I hope this is a better album than ' fear of a blank planet'... i found FOABP a bit cheesy or corny in my opinion. For example, in FOABP, wilson seemed to have adopted a new vocal style in certian parts of the album ( he seemd to put on a bit of an american accent), which didnt really seem very 'wilsony' to me. However you have to respect the change in musical direction which is necessary if you are on your 10th studio album. But i just hope 'the incident' returns to some of porcupine tree's origional classic progressive roots, than trying to get even heavier  

Did you check out the sample medley?

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:43
Very FOABP-ish

Date Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:56

( he seemd to put on a bit of an american accent)

Wait, I thought all British vocalists sang with an American accent. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 07:16

Did you check out the sample medley?

Yes just listened to it a few times.... seems like a certain mixture of heavy material and softer melodic. However you cant really get a full feel or impression of an album from a few minutes song clip. Sounds good enough though from what i have heard. I Just wish wilson would stop trying to creep in too much technical metal in the music because it doesnt seem very natural. Its a personal thing i suppose, with myself starting from signify and working my way up chronologically, being a big fan of the mid - late ninties period in PT music. Im just not that sure with the slowly creeping technical metal aspect of the music. But as i have said, you have to respect that you have to evolve your music if you are in your 10th album, to avoid writing repitition and to try something different. In respect , it has actually given porcupine tree a wider , younger audience who, evidently, know crap all about prog music.. but ... as clint eastwood says ' opinions are like a****les... everybody has one ' .. haha  Tongue

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 07:31

The thing im a bit annoyed about this year with the PORCUPINE TREE TOUR is that they are not doing the local venues in the U.K- just the big cities. Its english prog and deserves to go to the previous played venues in england. I know it sounds very selfish of myself, but ive seen porcupine tree every year in my local venue (nottinghamshire - rock city), always sold out... now they are not playing there!  aaa frustrating!Pinch... might just go to wolverhampton in december instead

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 07:36

The thing im a bit annoyed about this year with the PORCUPINE TREE TOUR is that they are not doing the local venues in the U.K- just the big cities. Its english prog and deserves to go to the previous played venues in england. I know it sounds very selfish of myself, but ive seen porcupine tree every year in my local venue (nottinghamshire - rock city), always sold out... now they are not playing there!  aaa frustrating!Pinch... might just go to wolverhampton in december instead

Whoah... You should try instead living in a peripheric country where the only prog concerts happen about one or two in a decade, with bands past their creative period, and playing only in the capital city Ouch

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 08:28
I have to travel at least 5 hours to see PT this tour. Disapprove

-------------

Posted By: Johnny_Tsunami
Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:33

Wow, September is going to be awesome!!  My faith in Porcupine Tree has never been shaken, each of their releases has something different to offer!  I remember my first time hearing FoaBP, hoping that it would be the same PT I had known and loved, hoping that the reviews were exaggerating the metal inclination in the album.  Alas, they most definitely weren't, which at first was a little dissappointing.  But being the fan that I am, I didn't just credit the album as hum-drum after only one listen.  10 0r 11 listens later, I saw it for the great album that it was.  Still not my favorite, but definitely better than most albums out there.  I'm hoping to be challenged in the same way by 'The Incident.'  That's what I think that PT try to do for their listeners, even their most devoted fans.  And for that, I am truly thankful!

-------------
I likes musics

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:45

wow, i admire your support for porcupine tree!! thought i was unlucky :P

Posted By: oceanmachine
Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 20:04
old news...don't know what to think of the new preview to it, but hell, I'll see when the album comes out.

-------------
Kekeke!

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 20:08
Originally posted by oceanmachine oceanmachine wrote:

old news...don't know what to think of the new preview to it, but hell, I'll see when the album comes out.

The preview makes me giddy. So excited for this album.

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2009 at 20:15

At least they come to the same country as you. The closest concert for me would be at least a 10 hour international flight away.

Cry

Date Posted: July 19 2009 at 15:29

At least they come to the same country as you. The closest concert for me would be at least a 10 hour international flight away.

Cry

oo well just buy the dvd- arriving somewhere tour. Thats good enough experiencee of the live shows!!!  i love the projections they always do... sorry im making you even more depressed arent i

Date Posted: July 19 2009 at 17:09
Already have the dvd, it is some condolence Smile

Date Posted: July 20 2009 at 23:30
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80332 - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80332

Steve Wilson talking about various aspects of the song, "Time Flies." You can hear a lot of the song in the background of the video, too.

Dare I say Mr. Wilson is a lot more upbeat than I remember him being in the past, from whatever few videos I've seen...

Also, the song sounds really awesome. Definitely getting a bit of a Rush vibe from time to time in there.

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2009 at 23:46
I'm salivating now

Date Posted: July 21 2009 at 02:13
'Bonnie The Cat' is sure to be a progressive masterpiece Wink

Posted By: Zebedee
Date Posted: July 27 2009 at 05:04
Can't wait for this album to be released. I'll be seeing them live in October Smile

-------------

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.

Date Posted: July 27 2009 at 05:08

At least they come to the same country as you. The closest concert for me would be at least a 10 hour international flight away.Cry

Thats not too bad!

You get a holiday to Australia... And then I also get to see them

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2009 at 18:36

At least they come to the same country as you. The closest concert for me would be at least a 10 hour international flight away.Cry

Thats not too bad!

You get a holiday to Australia... And then I also get to see them

Are they coming to Australia?
I might have to check that out, and find some cheap airfares Tongue

Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 21:14
Even more interviews with Mr. Wilson!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80690 - http://

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: July 30 2009 at 09:33
....you like the fans to tell you what musical direction to take, Steven?  ....just keep going on the one you're on now, that'll do nicely!  Smile

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80069 - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80069

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:01
Having seen the tour details today, I'm gutted that they are not playing in WalesAngry

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: July 31 2009 at 06:41

Thats not too bad! You get a holiday to Australia... And then I also get to see them

Are they coming to Australia?

I might have to check that out, and find some cheap airfares Tongue

I'm around 75% sure sorta thing that they will come to Australia...

They were tiny here until FOABP, and that was when they first came, and they sold out all shows I believe...

So I think a return would be a wise and/or likely move!

-Joel

-------------

Posted By: Johnny_Tsunami
Date Posted: July 31 2009 at 07:51

Only one more day until I can say the phrase:

"The new Porcupine Tree album is coming out next month!"

. . .So excitied! Big smile

-------------
I likes musics

Date Posted: July 31 2009 at 08:44
^^

Aren't we all?

Its going to be AMAZING! (I hope... But It can't be bad!)

-Joel

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk