Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5877
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 09:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Longest unbroken chain of great records
Posted By: JMCecil
Subject: Longest unbroken chain of great records
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:38

I looked and didn't see this as a previous topic.  Hope I didn't just miss it. 

Also, list the album that broke the string on both ends (if applicable).  Studio releases only.  Don't count live, compilations or EPs etc..  I'll take the easy way out and do a couple popular bands and how I see it with them.

examples

Yes - 6: The YES Album -> Going for the One

It would be 5 if you count Yesterday as a release (which I didn't).  The string started after Time and a Word.  It is a decent record but it doesn't have the scope and thrills that started the "Yes" prime years.  Tormato brought it to an end if I look at it objectively although I really like the album a lot.  The songs just aren't up to the content of the previous releases.  I would say that was a good run though.

Rush - 5: 2112-> Moving Pictures

Could have been 7 as I absolutely love Fly by Night, unfortunately I consider Caress of Steal a string breaker.  I know you Rush fans are gonna flog me for that (btw I am a huge Rush fan), but seriously I only find Bastille Day and bits and pieces of the necromancer stuff to be up to par.  Signals stopped the string and again I really like it.  But, if you listen to Moving Pictures then Signals it just doesn't have the same drive.  Still a fine chain of music and amazing that they put out album after album after album of good tunes, even though I'm not a huge fan of the last 4 or 5. 

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:41
Spocks Beard  6   The Light to Snow

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Miaugion
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:44
Genesis:
01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot
04 Selling England by the Pound
05 The Lamb
06 A Trick of the Tail
07 Wind & Wuthering
08 And Then There Were Three

Rush:
01 A Farewell to Kings
02 Hemispheres
03 Permanent Waves
04 Moving Pictures
05 Signals
06 Grace under Pressure
07 Power Windows
08 Hold Your Fire
09 Presto

-------------
You house proud town mouse
ha ha, charade you are

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:45

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Spocks Beard  6   The Light to Snow

hmm...I'd probably consider The Kindness of Strangers and Snow itself as string breakers.  I can't listen to either one end to end, but both of them have stuff with SB at it's best so hard to argue too much.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:48
JM youll find it hard to get agreement I guess ok Ill give you snow, but kindness is really great but thats IMO. I mean someones put Presto up there^

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:50

Originally posted by Miaugion Miaugion wrote:

Genesis:
01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot
04 Selling England by the Pound
05 The Lamb
06 A Trick of the Tail
07 Wind & Wuthering
08 And Then There Were Three

Rush:
01 A Farewell to Kings
02 Hemispheres
03 Permanent Waves
04 Moving Pictures
05 Signals
06 Grace under Pressure
07 Power Windows
08 Hold Your Fire
09 Presto

ok, have to quibble with Trespass and Winds & Wuthering/ATTTT.  All three good records, but not up to snuff to the 2->6 on that list IMO.

And on Rush, It's hard for me to consider Signals and GUP and espcecially Presto as up to the level of the rest.  Again, just my opinion. 

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:51

JM youll find it hard to get agreement I guess ok Ill give you snow, but kindness is really great but thats IMO. I mean someones put Presto up there^

lol, yeah...I just commented on Presto hehehe.

I don't know what it is about Kindness.  I love the opening track and June, but I have a hard time staying in contact with the rest of it.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:54
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

lol, yeah...I just commented on Presto hehehe.

I don't know what it is about Kindness.  I love the opening track and June, but I have a hard time staying in contact with the rest of it.

I know what you mean, it has a different sound and approach than other albums. I think yuoll find though that quite a few on the forum actually prefer it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:58

I mean someones put Presto up there^

I've included it because it's simply a beautifully written, stylistically diverse but harmonically homogenic album that should be referred to as one of the best of its genre (atmospheric/melodic rock with an edge). Of course, it isn't regarded as a Rush classic but the compositions scream 'quality' nonetheless.

-------------
ha ha, charade you are

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:00

I've included it because it's simply a beautifully written, stylistically diverse but harmonically homogenic album that should be referred to as one of the best of its genre (atmospheric/melodic rock with an edge). Of course, it isn't regarded as a Rush classic but the compositions scream 'quality' nonetheless.

I wasn't having a "go" at you . I was just making a point about differences of opinion.

-------------

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:03

Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate ---to--- Sitting Targets = 10

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant ---to--- Interview = 9

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:04

ok, have to quibble with Trespass and Winds & Wuthering/ATTTT. All three good records, but not up to snuff to the 2->6 on that list IMO.

Uhm, a bit more objective, please ...

-------------
ha ha, charade you are

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:07

heh, that's cool. Different strokes and all that.  The only song on that CD I like is Available Light.  I would Like Power Windows but the production was terrible it makes the songs just flat and boring, fortunately the live stuff proves the songs from PW to be very strong.  I thought they had got it back to together when HYF came out (even though it was little pop-rockish), but seriously I can't stand the production on anything that came after that.  I've always wondered what it is about the sound that polarizes people between the pre / post 90s listeners.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:08

I wasn't having a "go" at you . I was just making a point about differences of opinion.

I just wanted to explain why I thought an album that is definitely not one of the band's classics should be listed as well.

-------------
ha ha, charade you are

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:12

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate ---to--- Sitting Targets = 10

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant ---to--- Interview = 9

Ok, on GG I think one of those is a live album and for whatever reason I don't think Free Hand qualifies so I would be inclined to say 5 in a row.  But that's just me.

Can't argue PH..not my cuppa so I'll pass.

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:14
VDGG: The Least... - World Record (6)

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:18

I thought they had got it back to together when HYF came out (even though it was little pop-rockish), but seriously I can't stand the production on anything that came after that. I've always wondered what it is about the sound that polarizes people between the pre / post 90s listeners.

Have to agree. Rupert Hine's production is a bit flat and tired, Lee's voice is too far down in the mix, which makes the whole album sound too serious and sedate, even a bit lifeless.

I was merely referring to the compositions which are up there with the best melodic rock / AOR tracks one can dream of - provided that one likes American AOR at all.

-------------
ha ha, charade you are

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:42

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

07 Tales From Topographic Oceans

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

05 Selling England by the Pound
06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 
10 And Then There Were Three

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

But I wasn't finished yet:

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

No, I'm not going to defend this. I'm going to run for my life  ...

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:48

Hemispheres 

Permanent Waves 

Moving Pictures 

Signals 

Grace under Pressure 

Power Windows

prologue

ashes are burning

turn of the cards

scheherazade

novella

song for all seasons

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:50
Now come on, that's the second person who put Trespass on the list.  I'm all for Genesis (aside from just putting the entire catalog here ).  But come on, Trespass is sloppy.  Half the songs wander around without point for the majority of their time.  I appreciate it as the beginning of the band learning to play together and record music, but "A great record"?  I think not. heheh

Posted By: Sound_Chaser
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:50

King Crimson:    

1. In The Court Of The Crimson King 1969

2. In The Wake Of Poseidon 1970

3. Lizard 1970

4. Islands 1971

5. Larks' Tounges In Aspic 1973

6. Starless And Bible Black 1974

7. Red 1974

8. Discipline 1981

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:52
I'd definitely say GG: Gentle Giant - Interview/Playing The Fool (9 or 10, depending whether or not we include official live albums).

...Buuuut I am pretty biased!

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:53

Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

Rush

I believe putting that in the list is instant disqualification.

Of course, Abacab is here and 3 Sides Live with the earth shatteringly good Paperlate.  Yeah that qualifies (although I do have the 4 sides live version with the old stuff which is killer killer killer)

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Sound_Chaser Sound_Chaser wrote:

King Crimson:    

3. Lizard 1970

4. Islands 1971

You seriously think those 2 are end to end great records?

Posted By: kingofbizzare
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:58

Jethro Tull:
This Was
Stand Up
Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play
War Child
Minstrel in the Gallery
Too Old to Rock and Roll; Too Young to Die
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch
A
The Broadsword and the Beast

That's 14 (16 if you count Living in the Past and Bursting Out)

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:01
Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

Jethro Tull:
This Was
Stand Up
Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play
War Child
Minstrel in the Gallery
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch
A

That's 14.

Ok again, lets be objective.  A passion play is a bit wobbly and 'A'???????? Surely you jest.  I guess if Presto and Abacab can be in the list then we would have to let A in.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:05

King Crimson:    

3. Lizard 1970

4. Islands 1971

Well I do. Lizard's one of my favourite KC albums.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:06

Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

Jethro Tull:
This Was
Stand Up
Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play
War Child
Minstrel in the Gallery
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch
A

That's 14.

Ok again, lets be objective.  A passion play is a bit wobbly and 'A'???????? Surely you jest.  I guess if Presto and Abacab can be in the list then we would have to let A in.

And again! I just noticed this and I can't let it slide - A Passion Play a bit wobbly?! It's one of their greatest moments!! Minstrel, Passion, Horses and Woods are my top four Tull albums without question! Thick as a Brick pales into comparison to Passion Play.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:12

fyi I think Warchild through Stormwatch is one hellavu run of kick assed tunes. 

And although I like most of Lizard and even some of Island, I have a hard time having them connect to something is forward as Lark's.  It's more like they took a detour between Wake and Lark's.  I'm not saying they are bad records by any stretch, just seem a bit disconnected to me.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:14

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

And again! I just noticed this and I can't let it slide - A Passion Play a bit wobbly?! It's one of their greatest moments!! Minstrel, Passion, Horses and Woods are my top four Tull albums without question! Thick as a Brick pales into comparison to Passion Play.

Ok then I guess they count.  Passion Play is the only one of those that I never listen to.  I've tried over and over and I just don't get it.  But, support is support.  So JT has a REALLY big run of good tunes.

Posted By: Sound_Chaser
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:16

King Crimson:    

3. Lizard 1970

4. Islands 1971

Meby not the best allbums ever made but i think they are very good and unique.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:33

Now come on, that's the second person who put Trespass on the list.  I'm all for Genesis (aside from just putting the entire catalog here ).  But come on, Trespass is sloppy.  Half the songs wander around without point for the majority of their time.  I appreciate it as the beginning of the band learning to play together and record music, but "A great record"?  I think not. heheh

Okay, I should't have pushed my luck by mentioning Abacab and Three Sides Live  , but Trespass is another story. It  has a lot of great melodies, it has Ant Phillips in peak form, and true, it doesn't have the punch of the later records (Hackett and Collins did give the band more energy and dynamics), but they're atmospheric, they have a dream-like quality. There really is not a bad track on it. So bravo for Trespass  !

Gabriel's lyrics are very imaginative, although I don't have the foggiest idea what he's all raving on about.

" Yet in the darkness of my mind,

Damascus wasn't far behind"

Don't know what he means, but it sounds fantastic!

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:45

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Okay, I should't have pushed my luck by mentioning Abacab and Three Sides Live  , but Trespass is another story. It  has a lot of great melodies, it has Ant Phillips in peak form, and true, it doesn't have the punch of the later records (Hackett and Collins did give the band more energy and dynamics), but they're atmospheric, they have a dream-like quality. There really is not a bad track on it. So bravo for Trespass  !

Just to make it clear, I like these records from KC and Genesis etc...

Also, the 4 sides live version of 3 sides live is a tremendous record.  The addition of the old Steve Hackett days along with versions of the "best of abacab" that are WAY better than the ones on the studio version make it a must have (aside from a boorish version of Turn in On).  I can't for the life of me figure out why that isn't THE ONLY version. 

Also, I love Duke...don't have to sell it to me.  The opening and ending pieces are some of my favorite moments in Prog music.  A lot of the stuff between is actually pretty good too if you don't try and force it to be Suppers Ready.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:48

I think Rush has the greatese string of awesome records. Going from 2112 through Power Windows (being a streak of 8 [not including live albums]). Runner up has to be Yes with their self titled debut through Relayer (being a streak of 7 records). King Crimson did pretty damn good also. But they fell out of favor with meeself on '82s Beat album. That just sucks IMO.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:52

Originally posted by Crimson Prince Crimson Prince wrote:

I think Rush has the greatese string of awesome records(being a streak of 8 [not including live albums]).

The JT string is way longer if we give Passion Play the nod.

Also, it's actually no contest.  Frank Zappa has hands down the longest streak(s).  Anyone who is brave enough to put out 2, 3 or even 4 or 5 albums a year for as long as he did is in a class all to himself.  A lot of it is derivative, but most of it is amazingly original.  Since someone would most likely defend almost everything he did from 1968->Tinsletown Rebellion the actual number of records is staggering.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:55
oh also, if you are Peter Hammil fan the same applies.  He is just so damned prolific.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:56

Just to make it clear, I like these records from KC and Genesis etc...

Also, the 4 sides live version of 3 sides live is a tremendous record.  The addition of the old Steve Hackett days along with versions of the "best of abacab" that are WAY better than the ones on the studio version make it a must have (aside from a boorish version of Turn in On).  I can't for the life of me figure out why that isn't THE ONLY version. 

Also, I love Duke...don't have to sell it to me.  The opening and ending pieces are some of my favorite moments in Prog music.  A lot of the stuff between is actually pretty good too if you don't try and force it to be Suppers Ready.

Okay, if you put it that way: I agree.

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:01
Tangerine Dream:

Electronic Meditation
Alpha Centauri
Zeit
Atem
Phaedra
Rubycon
Ricochet
Stratosfear
Encore
Cyclone
Force Majeure
Tangram
Exit
Logos

That's 14. I've deliberately left out film scores and Green Desert, which came out later in the eighties, not in 1973. And I guess you could continue the list with White Eagle, Hyperborea and Le Parc.

Posted By: VLADO
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:11

yes ...................................................magnifica tion

-------------
...and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make...

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:23

Originally posted by VLADO VLADO wrote:

I would even agree with that if you were listing yes and magnification as the ones that broke the string, but then I remember about 6 cup coasters in a row that came out after Drama.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:24
Originally posted by VLADO VLADO wrote:

Noooooooooo way ...

-------------
ha ha, charade you are

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:07
Am I the only person who thinks that Zappa never really produced a BRILLIANT album? I own about fifteen of his but they all have their flaws, to my ears.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:08

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks that Zappa never really produced a BRILLIANT album? I own about fifteen of his but they all have their flaws, to my ears.

Brilliantly flawed!!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:54

Repitition often annoys, however..

Rush: Caress of Steel  - Grace under Pressure

Genesis - Trespass - Duke

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Vegetableman
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:00
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Tangerine Dream:

Electronic Meditation
Alpha Centauri
Zeit
Atem
Phaedra
Rubycon
Ricochet
Stratosfear
Encore
Cyclone
Force Majeure
Tangram
Exit
Logos

That's 14. I've deliberately left out film scores and Green Desert, which came out later in the eighties, not in 1973. And I guess you could continue the list with White Eagle, Hyperborea and Le Parc.

Electronic Meditation -> Atem zzz....! (Although Phaedra -> Logos )

How about ELOY??

1. The Power and the Passion
2. Dawn
3. Ocean
4. Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
5. Colours
6. Planets
7. Time to Turn

-------------
"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:13

The Kinks ---> To the bone   =  32

Fool's mate --->  Incoherence = 31

The piper.. --->  Division bell = 20

*appr. incl. live-albums

Posted By: walrus
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:13

The Beatles

help

rubber soul

revolver

sgt peppers

magical mistery tour

the beatles (white album)

abbey road

let it be

hahahahahaha

-------------
you and whose army?

Posted By: Keke
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:16

Uhh, Pink Floyd...

From the Piper up to the Wall ( The Wall not being anything interesting musically, but conceptually really worth a glance or two ).

And King Crimson... Everything. Even the few radio albums inbetween the first and the present great prog phase are not too bad.

Posted By: Flyingbebert
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:18

I think these Pink Floyd albums are more generally accepted as an unbroken chain of complete masterpieces :

Meddle
The dark side of the moon
Wish you were here
Animals
The Wall

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:46
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

*appr. incl. live-albums

It would probably save you time if you just put links to the discogrophy of all the bands you like.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 16:48

*appr. incl. live-albums

It would probably save you time if you just put links to the discogrophy of all the bands you like.

Meaning what???

Posted By: Chipiron
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:01

I agree that Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd achieved 4 or 5 great records in a row.

Supertramp:

Crime of the Century

Crisis? What crisis?

Even in the quietest moments

Breakfast in America

For Non-Prog: The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and, above all, The Beatles.

Posted By: L.V.X.
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:15
9 - Soft Machine:
The Soft Machine
Volume Two      
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth      
Seven
Bundles
Softs

8 - Samla Mammas Manna/ Zamla Mammaz Manna:
Samla Mammas Manna
Måltid      
Klossa Knapitatet
Snorungarnas Symfoni (Symphony of the Brats)
För Äldre Nybegynnare
Sclagerns Mystik      
Familjesprickor (Family Cracks)
Kaka

7 - Banco del Mutuo Soccorso:
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Darwin!      
Io Sono Nato Libero      
Garofano Rosso      
Come in un'Ultima Cena      
...di Terra      
Canto Di Primavera

-------------
Tired of typing the same search parameters on Gemm, MusicStack, eBay etc. -> http://www.musicsearcher.com/search/index.php?firstgo=2&goartist=&gotitle=&golabel= - Link

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:24

*appr. incl. live-albums

Meaning what???

meaning your answers were not answers to the question.  You gave the fanboy answer instead of thinking about it.  Of course you may have thought about the fanboy answer, but that isn't the same thing.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:26
by the way, the 4 pack by supertramp is another one of those awesome strings.  The only dubious one would be parts of Crisis.  But holy cow what a 4 in a row that is.

Posted By: Entropia
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:31
Pain of Salvation  Entropia-Be (6)

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:33

ELP:  ELP - Works 1 = 7 absolutely wonderful albums....

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:41

*appr. incl. live-albums

Meaning what???

meaning your answers were not answers to the question.  You gave the fanboy answer instead of thinking about it.  Of course you may have thought about the fanboy answer, but that isn't the same thing.

Aha..But sorry mate, you've got it all wrong! I actually been thinking (have you?) and it is my serious opinion that these chains are unbroken with great records. So, little BOY, you have your answer! But if you can't handle it, maybee you should stop making threades. It might SAVE YOU SOME TIME.......One more thing boy, don't ever be rude to me again..ok? Don't mess with the devil, kid....

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:53

Aha..But sorry mate, you've got it all wrong! I actually been thinking (have you?) and it is my serious opinion that these chains are unbroken with great records. So, little BOY, you have your answer! But if you can't handle it, maybee you should stop making threades. It might SAVE YOU SOME TIME.......One more thing boy, don't ever be rude to me again..ok? Don't mess with the devil, kid....

That's fine you can post the "here are all the albums I own" if you want.  But, the Kinks have like 10 good songs, not 31 good albums.  And there are holes all over the other 2 lists.  If you can't take the heat maybe you shouldn't post.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:56
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

ELP:  ELP - Works 1 = 7 absolutely wonderful albums....

well 6 because live albums aren't supposed to count.  My only problem (and I know you love ELP, so do I) Tarkus is only half a good album for me and Pictures has dead spots too.  I also don't care for a good bit of Carl Palmers bit on Works.  However, it's still a great run of tunage for sure.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:59
Love all of Tarkus... well cept maybe "Are You Ready Eddy"... but I've gotten use to that over the years.  And Pictures is a live album.. as well as WBMFTTSTNE... but they are both produced by Greg.. so they stand in my book.  And Carl Palmer's section of Works is a favorite of mine... especially LA Nights...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 18:19
True on Pictures.  I guess since it was all new material, not a concert type album I never think of it that way.  I don't know, I can't stand Bitches Crystal either, for some reason the sound is grating.  I like LA Nights ok too.  Tank is like Tank 14.  anyhow, just minor quibbles. I don't have any major disagreements.

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 18:27
I've always loved Bitches Crystal.. especially the musicbox keyboard sound on that.  Was listening to it on the 97 Montreux video again last night.  Thats a awesome version.  However, I heard Keith do it on tour last year with Dave K on vocals... and now that I really didn't need to hear!

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 19:06

I've always loved Bitches Crystal.. especially the musicbox keyboard sound on that.  Was listening to it on the 97 Montreux video again last night.  Thats a awesome version.  However, I heard Keith do it on tour last year with Dave K on vocals... and now that I really didn't need to hear!

I saw 3 on Tour in a small club in Boulder Colorado.  They didn't do Bitches Crystal thank god.  BUT, they were actually very very good even though I didn't like the album other than Desde La Vida, which was great live.

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 19:09
YES-Debut album right through to Drama!

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 21:57

Just a few:

The Church (7)
Priest=Aura, Sometime Anywhere, Magaician Among the Spirits, Refo:mation, Hologram of Baal, After Everything Now This, Forget Yourself

Deus ex Machina (5)
Gladium Caeli, Deus ex Machina, De Republica, Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, Cincque (6, if you include their live album (Diacronie Metronomiche), and the only band whose entire oeuvre is thus far perfect)

ELP (5)
ELP, Tarkus, Pictures at An Exhibition, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery (6, if you include Welcome Back My Friends)

Genesis (9)
Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, The Lamb, Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three, Duke (11, if you include Genesis Live and Seconds Out)

Gentle Giant (8)
Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, Octopus, In A Glass House, The Power & The Glory, Free Hand, Interview (9, if you include Playing the Fool)

Elton John (6)
Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (7, if you include 11/17/70)

King Crimson (10)
In the Court, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red, Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair

Led Zeppelin (7)
Zep I, Zep II, Zep III, Zep IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence (8, if you include Song Remains the Same)

Marillion (8)
Script, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Seasons End, Holiday in Eden, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight

Nektar (4)
A Tab in the Ocean, Remember the Future, Down to Earth, Recycled

10CC (8)
10CC, Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You, Deceptive Bends, Bloody Tourists, Look Hear, 10 out of 10 (9, if you include 10CC Live)

XTC (10)
Drums and Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, Mummer, Big Engine, Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons, Nonsuch, Apple Venus, Wasp Star

Yes (4)
Time and a Word, The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge

Of course, all of this is dependent on personal taste.

Peace.

Posted By: HaroldLand
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:14
i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album.. sure it devates, and is a bit of a fall from the magnatude of greatness that going for the one has, but i still think it's an awesome album, and i cant see how self proclaimed yes fans give it such disregard..

obviously my opinion is slanted because i personally am a fan of the album, but stil.. it's still yes' finest lineup, there is tons of awesome music on that record (save circus of heaven), but future times/rejoice, don't kill the whale and on the silent wings of freedom are, imo, as good as anything on going for the one, and onward is one of the most beautiful pieces of yes music in their huge repertoire..

whoa, i just realized this isnt a yes thread.. hehe

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:16

Originally posted by HaroldLand HaroldLand wrote:

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album.. sure it devates, and is a bit of a fall from the magnatude of greatness that going for the one has, but i still think it's an awesome album, and i cant see how self proclaimed yes fans give it such disregard..

obviously my opinion is slanted because i personally am a fan of the album, but stil.. it's still yes' finest lineup, there is tons of awesome music on that record (save circus of heaven), but future times/rejoice, don't kill the whale and on the silent wings of freedom are, imo, as good as anything on going for the one, and onward is one of the most beautiful pieces of yes music in their huge repertoire..

I included it! I also think it's a stellar album. Agree with everything you've said

Posted By: HaroldLand
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:41
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

I included it! I also think it's a stellar album. Agree with everything you've said

hehe yeah i kinda noticed it after i posed the preceding one

you rock, man

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 23:56

I saw 3 on Tour in a small club in Boulder Colorado.  They didn't do Bitches Crystal thank god.  BUT, they were actually very very good even though I didn't like the album other than Desde La Vida, which was great live.

I saw 3 at about 3 shows.. including a radio station benefit.. but it was so depressing without Greg, I decided 3 was enough.

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 00:10

'Desda La Vida' & 'Talkin' bout' were certainly the highlights of the 3 album. What ELP songs did they actually cover on that tour?

I actually like Robert Berry though he wasn't no substitute for Greg. Interestingly, Berry's solo album 'Pilgrimage To A Point' is actually excellent and Keith & Carl feature on a couple of tracks that were intended for the next '3' album!

Interestingly, Berry was also was also the choice to replace Max Bacon in GTR. Some of his proposed songs for the next GTR album are also on 'Pilgrimage To A Point'. Steve Howe also plays on those songs!

Why hasn't 'Piligrimage To A Point' been reviewed?

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 03:06
Originally posted by Vegetableman Vegetableman wrote:

Electronic Meditation -> Atem zzz....! (Although Phaedra -> Logos )

Zeit, Alpha Centauri,Atem: fantastic space/ambient keyboard explorations.
Electronic Meditation: wonderful punk-ish guitars and crazy drumming combined with strange electronic sounds.
But they really had to find the right line-up (Franke,Froese,Baumann) to produce their best albums.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 03:38

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk -----to---- Ice Cream for Crow = 12

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 04:37

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Posted By: Gloryscene
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 05:51

Yes

1. The Yes Album
  2. Fragile
  3. Close To The Edge
  4. YESSONGS - i know it is a live album but it is a cracker
  5. Tales From The Topographic Oceans
  6. Relayer
  7. Going For The One
  8. Tormato

Rush - Fly By Night through to Power Windows then restarted again with Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapour Trails

Led Zep - Led Zep I through to Presence

Camel - Debut through to Nude

-------------
"The Beautiful Ally Of Your Own Gravediggers"

www.gloryscene.co.uk

Posted By: Geee
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:22

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

-------------
"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:34
Originally posted by Geee Geee wrote:

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 

and:

11 Duke

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 07:13
I guess it means an unbroken chain of 4 or 5 star albums.

GG (7): ATT - PTF

Yes (7): TYA - GFTO

ELP (7): ELP - Works 1

BMS (7): BMS -  di Terra

Rush (5): AFTK - E...SL

Tangerine Dream (5): Phaedra - Encore

Genesis (4): NC - TLLDOB

JT (4):  Aqualung - APP

KC: a broken chain with 5 great records

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:00

Well, I think a few people are missing the spirit of the thread.  If you look at my example you would see that I ask people to say why the albums that start and stop the chain are stoppers.  Also, some are just putting the albums they like from the bands they like.

If you look several people have put from Yes->Drama.  I think that is a huge stretch.  But whatever.  I also like Tormato, but just like other bands goodbutnotgreat records if you put them on side by side with say Tormato/Fragile...Tormato loses in almost every aspect of making a record IMO.  But if you put Fragile/Relayer you can have a preference but they hold up well against each other.

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:05

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Actually the main guideline was to have people explain why they thought the album at either end broke the chain.  Like the Tormato example for me is not for someone else.  Although 90125 is a much clearer break.

Bands like ELP are easier because, assuming you like them, they pretty much made great record after great record and then poof ........no more good records (with few spotty exceptions).

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:11
How difficult it must be just for a band/artist to string TWO good albums together but I guess the guys that got closest to a run of great albums was for me Yes in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm not a huge fan nowadays but I think that there is a case to say that between The Yes Album, Fragile & Close To The Edge, the band worked up to a creative peak.

Sorry to say that IMO, Topographic Oceans however, was a bridge too far.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:19

Bands like ELP are easier because, assuming you like them, they pretty much made great record after great record and then poof ........no more good records (with few spotty exceptions).

Not necessarily true.. especially if you like ELP.. .because Works II  and Love Beach may of been spotty, but I really love ELPowell and Black Moon... then In the Hot Seat gets spotty again...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:23

Not necessarily true.. especially if you like ELP.. .because Works II  and Love Beach may of been spotty, but I really love ELPowell and Black Moon... then In the Hot Seat gets spotty again...

I really rate the ELPowel album too. On paper, that line up should never really have worked but happily the album was a resounding artistic success.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:38

Wow, I've never met anyone that liked BlackMoon.  That album pretty much has the same problem as the Royal Albert to me...Carl just slapping like a pop drummer instead of playing the danged things.  Pretty much like everything he's done since Asia ruined him (or possibly since he ruined Asia no way to know for sure heheheheh).  For me it's essential that all three guys play at their best for the music to work like the older stuff.  It just didn't seem to happen for me with BM.  Actually I always thought "how goes Carl is how goes the song". 

ELpowell is ok and even rocks great at times.  I don't think I can put it in with Trilogy or BSS or even any of the Works stuff though. 

Love Beach...as someone so eloquently pointed out in another thread ...WTF is that?

{jesus, I edited three times before I could spell 'no'...clearly not enough coffee yet.}

Posted By: Infinity
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:18
Originally posted by Gloryscene Gloryscene wrote:

Yes

1. The Yes Album
  2. Fragile
  3. Close To The Edge
  4. YESSONGS - i know it is a live album but it is a cracker
  5. Tales From The Topographic Oceans
  6. Relayer
  7. Going For The One
  8. Tormato

Rush - Fly By Night through to Power Windows then restarted again with Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapour Trails

Led Zep - Led Zep I through to Presence

Camel - Debut through to Nude

Agree with my bandmate here on all of the above but also:

Tull from Aqualung to Heavy Horses

Genesis From Foxtrot through to Trick Of The Tail  - flawless period

Mars Volta from Tremulant EP through to Frances The Mute - Ok it's not many but they're just on it these boys!

ELP - Debut through to Brain Salad but then that's it for me with this fine trio.  Apart from Love Beach which I like for some sort of alpha male rock kind of way I really think they didn't do anything else that touched that early great period

King Crimson is harder cos they change so much but the whole Red era through to Discipline is where they just blow yer mind

I'm outta here

good poll this...........ta ta

-------------
I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:29

Genesis:

Trespass>nursery cryme>foxtrot>Genesis live>selling england by the pound>the lamb lies down on broadway>trick of the tail>wind and wuthering>seconds out>spot the pigeons EP>and then there were three>duke

Then, it's all downhill from there.

Rush:

Caress of Steel>2112>all the worlds a stage>farewell to kings>hemispheres>moving pictures>exit stage left>signals>grace under pressure>power windows>hold your fire>a show of hands

then started again after presto (which sucked)

Roll the bones>counterparts>test for echo>different stages>vapor trails>feedback EP (really, it may be covers, but it's still great!)

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:31
ok, have to ask again...those of you giving Genesis the longer run, you REALLY think And then there were 3 and Winds and Wuthering are in the same class as the rest?  Even Duke is a big cut above those 2 IMO even though it gets bashed regularly because it has 2 radio songs on it.

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:34
yes, and then there were three, and wind and wuthering are both excellent. I actually htink I think wind and wuthering a little better than trick of the tail. Duke is awesome besides a couple crappy tunes, but the good ones make it an awesome album overall.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: Wizard/TRueStar
Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 15:36

Honestly

Pink Floyd:  Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - P.U.L.S.E.

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 15:54
Originally posted by Wizard/TRueStar Wizard/TRueStar wrote:

Honestly

Pink Floyd:  Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - P.U.L.S.E.

damn, there are at least 2 full on stumbles in that list and 2 more that are boderline, but anyone who has the king of prog-pop as their monicer I'll let slide.

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 16:19

Wow, I've never met anyone that liked BlackMoon.  That album pretty much has the same problem as the Royal Albert to me...Carl just slapping like a pop drummer instead of playing the danged things.  Pretty much like everything he's done since Asia ruined him (or possibly since he ruined Asia no way to know for sure heheheheh).  For me it's essential that all three guys play at their best for the music to work like the older stuff.  It just didn't seem to happen for me with BM.  Actually I always thought "how goes Carl is how goes the song". 

ELpowell is ok and even rocks great at times.  I don't think I can put it in with Trilogy or BSS or even any of the Works stuff though. 

Love Beach...as someone so eloquently pointed out in another thread ...WTF is that?

{jesus, I edited three times before I could spell 'no'...clearly not enough coffee yet.}

I know a lot of people that love Black Moon... most ELP fans were so glad to get this album in the 90s when most other albums out were crap... it was like a dream come true.  And it returned to some form that ELP fans were use to.  A few classical adaptations, a few original rocking tunes - I love the Black moon title song and the mtv video that went with it; and some lovely Greg ballads.

The fact that ELP weren't as progressive as they were in the 70s... well it was no longer the 70s and Black Moon was a bit more neo-prog maybe, but one heck of a great return of the ELP of yore.  Keith had some great piano melodies on here... Close to Home, Changing States... and Greg's "Affairs of the Heart" and "Footprints in the Snow" was just lovely.  I was actually listening to this the other night and I realized how much I liked "Better Days"... its a great song.

The only song on this album I don't really like is Paper Blood.

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: Arteum
Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 14:19
PINK FLOYD

"Atom Heart Mother"

"Meddle"

"TDSOTM"

"WYWH"

"Animals"

"The Wall"

= 6