Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58957
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 08:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Classical Masterpieces
Posted By: The Pessimist
Subject: Classical Masterpieces
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 14:34
Just a small selection of classical pieces that really got me over the years, and after a long while listening to them I still find endless enjoyment in each. Arguably not the best out there, but they are the best to me. Some are quite obscure, but if you can try and listen to each one before you vote because they all really deserve some attention. For me, my vote goes to the Brahms. It's yet to be topped in my books.

And no Mozart putdowns. He was good damnit, especially the Requiem.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Replies:
Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 15:17
I think "Jupiter" should not be taken out of its context, which is Holst's "Planet" suite. It is like naming only one movement of a symphony.
I prefer "The Rites of Spring" to "Firebird", so my vote goes to "St. Matthew's Passion". Else it would have been a draw between Bach and Stravinsky.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: St.Cleve Chronicle
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 15:19
My vote goes to Finlandia for patriotic reasons.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 15:39
St. Matthew's Passion out of these. But really, over three hours of Bach up against eight minutes of Holst?

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 16:22
I think it's still a close call. Quality over quantity, not saying Bach is bad or anything though. Quite the opposite.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I think it's still a close call. Quality over quantity, not saying Bach is bad or anything though. Quite the opposite.

But why did you pick out "Jupiter"? it is not a stand-alone piece.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 17:29
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Because it's my favourite from The Planets Suite. Problem at all?

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 17:43
Excluding Purcell and Bach, which I've yet to hear (I know: for shame re: Matheuspassion), I think I'll go with Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet! It's a masterpiece, and it's my favourite of the listed ones. Stravinsky comes second.

Footnote: Pathetique isn't Beethoven's finest piano sonata.
Fighting words: I don't like Holst.

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 17:47
Rico, thanks for your input. As for the Beethoven and Holst comments... All down to opinion at the end of the day really. Personally I think the opening to Pathetique is the finest piece of Beethoven ever, but there you go, one man's beer is another man's piss.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 17:52
I also voted for Romeo and Juliet. Not only because I like it, but also because it was superbly covered (or better say, interpreted) by one of my favourite prog bands (let's see who guesses which band it is). This doesn't detract from Mozart, Bach and Beethoven being my favourite classical composers.

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:00
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I also voted for Romeo and Juliet. Not only because I like it, but also because it was superbly covered (or better say, interpreted) by one of my favourite prog bands (let's see who guesses which band it is).

ELP, who else. LOL

But...3 minutes of cover compared to the 2 original hours? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:01

Rico, thanks for your input. As for the Beethoven and Holst comments... All down to opinion at the end of the day really. Personally I think the opening to Pathetique is the finest piece of Beethoven ever, but there you go, one man's beer is another man's piss.

Where did I say it's... piss? WinkShocked

-------------

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:22

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Because it's my favourite from The Planets Suite. Problem at all?

Its not that I'll loose sleep because of it, but its similar to ask what is your favorite between The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Comfortably Numb. Its obviously possible to answer (and to have both as favorites), but Jupiter is an "extract" like Erbarme Dich Mein Gott, and The Planets is the grand work, like St. Matthew's Passion.  

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:37
Mozart's Requiem for me, closely followed by Bach's Matthaus Passion.

I also don't agree with dividing a work and puting just one movement as its representative. Isn't that like those "Classical music highlights" cds we proggers should hate?

Now that I think of it, who are we to say enjoying just part of one work is not as legitimate as enjoying the whole piece?

Anyway, it is kind of weird to compare an 8 minute movement vs a 2hour+ monster

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I also voted for Romeo and Juliet. Not only because I like it, but also because it was superbly covered (or better say, interpreted) by one of my favourite prog bands (let's see who guesses which band it is).

ELP, who else. LOL

Not by a million miles. Wink ELP is not one of my favourite bands (that much) AngryTongue
Tongue
Well, they do share that same genre (Symphonic) and their keyboard players have been compared. It should be simple now.

I didn't know ELP covered Romeo & Juliet, though. Where is that?

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:58

ELP, who else. LOL

Not by a million miles. Wink ELP is not one of my favourite bands (that much) AngryTongue
Tongue
Well, they do share that same genre (Symphonic) and their keyboard players have been compared. It should be simple now.

I didn't know ELP covered Romeo & Juliet, though. Where is that?

On "Black Moon"--the Dance of the Montagues and Capulets is especially effective.

Re the poll, nothing on there is close to the Firebird Suite. Loved it ever since I first heard "Yessongs".

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Anyway, it is kind of weird to compare an 8 minute movement vs a 2hour+ monster

It does seem kind of weird from a distance, but look at the title. I consider Jupiter to be a masterpiece on its own, but I don't consider the entirety of The Planets to be a masterpiece as it does have flaws for me. I do however consider all of Matthew's (or Matthaus) passion to be a masterpiece. I'm not exactly comparing them, just telling you the pieces of music that I consider to be masterpieces.

Hope everyone understands that.

By the way, good choice on Requiem. I feared it wouldn't get that many votes, which is a massive shame.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 19:06

ELP, who else. LOL

Tongue

I can't find any other reference to Prokofiev's R&J being covered. ConfusedCry

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 19:48
The death metal band Necrophagist do a short homage to R&J at the end of their song "Only Ashes Remain", any of you metalheads on the forum that don't already know that. It's really quite good I think, although they only cover the main theme once which is a shame.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: meptune
Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 01:59
Everything you've listed is fabulous. Not necessarily my favorites by each composer, but definitely all wonderful works by brilliant composers. But you put Bach in there and that clinches it for me. I've said in other posts that my two favorite composers in the world are Bach and Zappa. Those two names will sway me in almost any poll.

-------------

"Arf, she said"

Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 03:14

ELP, who else. LOL

Now I see this. Two hours?! I don't remember that. Shocked I remember listening to something much shorter. Maybe it was only a piece on a compilation, I don't remember well how it was, just that I liked it.

Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 03:47

ELP, who else. LOL

Now I see this. Two hours?! I don't remember that. Shocked I remember listening to something much shorter. Maybe it was only a piece on a compilation, I don't remember well how it was, just that I liked it.

What band was it that you were talking about? LOL

The original 2hr are Prokofiev's, Romeo And Juliet is practically ballett music.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 03:54
I was talking about Collegium Musicum; they have a 10 minute song on the live album "Collegium Musicum & Marian Varga". That suited fine what I remembered about Prokofiev, but now I don't know anymore what to think...

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 10:26
Brahms fourth, wasn't that the one that was covered by Wakeman on Cans and Brahms?

I haven't heard all the works mentioned, but I think I heard at least pieces of most (or all) of the works mentioned. I only can say for sure that I heard Finlandia, the Matthew Passion and the Messiah completely.

I love the opening of the Matthew Passion and a lot of the stuff at the end. I love the Montagues and Capulets, and most of what I heard from Brahms and Schumann.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk