Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59238
Printed Date: July 26 2024 at 22:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greenslade
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Subject: Greenslade
Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 15:16
So, I've really enjoyed the first two, particularly for that stunning rhythm section, the great keyboard solos and Lawson's great voice (OK, it gets a lot of flak, but I love dramatic vocalists), and just felt like making a poll. Included the two reformation releases for the sake of novelty. Discussion more than welcomed.

Replies:
Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 15:51
I love the debut mostly out of nostalgia and having drooled over that rhythm section, as you brightly state!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 01:04
First 4 albums to me are classics, all great, not a weak moment, I simply love them. I have to go with Spyglass guest or their second Bedside Manners Are Extra. Voted for Spy because had 0 votes, strange isn't it??

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 01:22
adore this band, debut my favorite, should be among the first bands an intermediate progster hears as they look deeper into the genre

also any Greenslade fan should hear Morgan Fisher's albums if they haven't already, particularly The Sleeper Wakes

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 02:34
It's hard for me to choose between Greenslade and Spyglass Guest.   I guess I'll go with the debut this time.

-------------

Posted By: proggy
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 04:35
These guys are so generic.......

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 07:15
An excellent and creative band. My favourite is probably Bedside Manners which has Pilgrim's Progress, in my opinion their best track. Great cover too.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 11:01
Greenslade sucks .. just joking,  I think I like the first album or surprisingly Time and Tide Approve

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 18:25
First album for me

-------------

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 19:54
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

It's hard for me to choose between Greenslade and Spyglass Guest.   I guess I'll go with the debut this time.

I always go for the inbetween album, "Bedside manners Are Extra". This band is so great that it's great to listen to it, it is so overlooked that it makes them sound even beter!!

Kind regards.

Date Posted: July 04 2009 at 19:31
^

True that; I hadn't even heard of them until one of the Baldies (apologies, ladies, I'm terrible at remembering names) mentioned McCulloch had worked with this band... a bit lazy of me not to chase up his post-Crimson work, admittedly. Soon as I saw Tony Reeves of Colosseum (one of the real highlights of that band, though understandably after Hiseman) was also in it, rushed out to the review page and ordered the debut. Anyway, a belated thanks to those, reviewers and repliers, who led to me discovering the two great albums I've got so far, and a recommendation from me for anyone who's not heard of them and is put off by some of their reviews if you like either Reeves or McCulloch's work elsewhere.

Personally, I've just got the first two at the moment, my two favourite songs are probably both the wonderfully wry misogynistic dirges - What Are You Doing To Me? and Sunkissed You're Not, though Drum Folk is a real triumph of structure, musicianship and style. Bedside Manners Are Extra might just clinch it with its expanded range of keyboard sounds, but 'svery close.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 04 2009 at 23:40
One of my glaring omissions in progdom............Embarrassed

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: July 11 2009 at 10:28
*bing*

Posted By: mark kraken
Date Posted: November 21 2009 at 15:20
bed side manners are extra
greenslade

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 21 2009 at 15:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

adore this band, debut my favorite, should be among the first bands an intermediate progster hears as they look deeper into the genre also any Greenslade fan should hear Morgan Fisher's albums if they haven't already, particularly Nova Solis

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk