Forum Discription: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59943
Printed Date: August 27 2014 at 18:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Red Queen to Gryphon Tree
Posted By: friso
Subject: Red Queen to Gryphon Tree
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 13:30
I recently got my hands on Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Tree (1974). Being quite lucky, I have paid just 10 euro for a vinyl record that is quite a collectersitem for vinyl fanatics like me. That aside.. it is also a nice album for a poll. Four songs of resembling length and atmosphere... wich one is the best in your opinion?

Replies:
Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 13:52
Second Spasm - extremely complex, very tongue in cheek and somehow it all hangs together.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 13:55
Originally posted by Syzygy

Second Spasm - extremely complex, very tongue in cheek and somehow it all hangs together.

They're all great, but I agree with this.

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 14:08
Not voting, I really should listen to this more...

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Tsevir Leirbag
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:32
Lament seems under-rated here... It's so good!Shocked

-------------
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:39
I dont know the album never realy clicked with me, maybe i shuld try it again... the opening move is the only one i can remeber.

-------------

Posted By: listen
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 20:07
Lament for me. The other three sound too silly to me, and the last I also find boring.

-------------
Now is all there is. Be before you think!

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 20:58
Okay, so . . . not to nitpick, or anything, but . . . it's "Red Queen to Gryphon Three". Wink

-------------

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 21:24
Lament

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 22:11
I haven't listened to this album for quite a long while, but "Lament" is beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 23:39
Originally posted by p0mt3

Okay, so . . . not to nitpick, or anything, but . . . it's "Red Queen to Gryphon Three". Wink

Hmm, he didn't post a cover pic.  Maybe he is talking about a completely different album? Tongue

Only you can correct thread spelling errors in your own thread title (as far as I know, apologies to Smokey The Bear).

-------------

Posted By: TalmLikeABalm
Date Posted: July 28 2009 at 23:45
Originally posted by p0mt3

I was thinking the same thing, thought it was a porcupine tree reference. Wink

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: July 29 2009 at 00:47

the album as a whole, i cant choose which peice i like better

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: LanCaiHe
Date Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:48

Wow, you have heard of this band?? I love them! I saw them live with YES way back in the 70's and it was the first time I had ever seen a crumhorn!  I immediately bought the album and started looking into medieval music.  I couldn't stop laughing when I saw and heard the crumhorn, as if a bassoon wasn't unusual enough to see in a rock band! LOL

Originally posted by kingfriso

I recently got my hands on Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Tree (1974). Being quite lucky, I have paid just 10 euro for a vinyl record that is quite a collectersitem for vinyl fanatics like me. That aside.. it is also a nice album for a poll. Four songs of resembling length and atmosphere... wich one is the best in your opinion?

-------------
Jim

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: July 31 2009 at 02:29
This is one that kept me up late at night for a while. Out of the lot of them, the fourth track is probably the weakest of the load; but the opening is magnificent in its pompousness (and humbleness; dig the gentle piano partway through), the third track is alternately beautiful and abstract...but "Second Spasm" is my personal fave. Who would have thought that Gryphon could rock hard? I mean, they keep it up for only about twenty seconds (when that deep organ comes blatting in), but it works. The damn thing is also funny and noble and the whole lot. 

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Dawn of Eternity
Date Posted: August 01 2009 at 12:03
Excellent release. Second Spasm and Lament being my two favourite songs on that album. Hard to decide.

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: August 01 2009 at 12:44

for me it's second spasm

great album

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 02 2009 at 23:08
Lament is easily the best crafted song on the album.  In second place I would vote for either Checkmate or Opening Move.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk