Print Page | Close Window

The Beatles:Rock Band

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60965
Printed Date: June 13 2024 at 11:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Beatles:Rock Band
Posted By: crimhead
Subject: The Beatles:Rock Band
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 01:43
I'm torn by this commercial. Do you think that all four would have agreed to this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04JlvZZTQOI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04JlvZZTQOI

Replies:
Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 02:07
I think it's ridiculous. Little kids are gonna start listening to Beatles just because of a video game.
They're gonna hype about, say "Being for the Benefit of mr Kite" just like they did about "Through the Fire and Flames" in Guitar Hero.
No, i don't like it.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:20
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

I think it's ridiculous. Little kids are gonna start listening to Beatles just because of a video game.
They're gonna hype about, say "Being for the Benefit of mr Kite" just like they did about "Through the Fire and Flames" in Guitar Hero.
No, i don't like it.

I can't see why that's a bad thing.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:53
Me either.What is so bad about exposing a younger generation to one of the most influential bands in music?

-------------

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:57
That's fine. Kids will play the game, parents will love it too.Why not?

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 11:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

No, i don't like it.

I can't see why that's a bad thing.
I too fail to see the negative side of anybody discovering The Beatles.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 11:44
I turned my daughter (she's 18 now)on to them a few years ago.She fell in love with them and bands she used to like such as Green Day,Blink 182 and so forth fell by the wayside.

Now she listens to stuff like The Beatles,The Doors,Queen,Led Zeppelin,The Who,Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy.

That's not a bad thing at all.

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 11:45
I'm not against kids listening to the Beatles!
They will listen to Beatles because they are in a video game, and not because... whatever...
The point is that i don't like it Embarrassed

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:03
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I turned my daughter (she's 18 now)on to them a few years ago.She fell in love with them and bands she used to like such as Green Day,Blink 182 and so forth fell by the wayside.

Now she listens to stuff like The Beatles,The Doors,Queen,Led Zeppelin,The Who,Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy.

That's not a bad thing at all.

Not at all. She's got better taste in music now.  Tongue

Posted By: tintedweed
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:36

I dont see problem with Beatles exposed to kids.

But my problem is the other way around.. Add is not about about Beatles..its about Rock Band. They are using Beatles and other bands to sell video games.The amount of kids spend time behind video games, computer, internet..etc is just sick..

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:40
Says tintedweed on an INTERNET forum...

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 14:52
...with a PA career of 35 posts, so he obviously uses the internet in moderation, not in sick amounts.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: mr.cub
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 14:56
Will there be a one handed drum setting? LOL

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 14:59
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Will there be a one handed drum setting? LOL

No, that's the Def Leppard version.

Posted By: tintedweed
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 22:44
Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

...with a PA career of 35 posts, so he obviously uses the internet in moderation, not in sick amounts.
lol...watch out..dude. I am catching up...

Posted By: Kix
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 02:37
Originally posted by tintedweed tintedweed wrote:

I dont see problem with Beatles exposed to kids.

But my problem is the other way around.. Add is not about about Beatles..its about Rock Band. They are using Beatles and other bands to sell video games.The amount of kids spend time behind video games, computer, internet..etc is just sick..

exaclty!, Rock Band and guitar hero?? wtf is this crap? whatever happen to starting real bands??

and this is coming from someone born in the late 80s, video games can go to hell

-------------

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 03:08
To me it's just more Beatles merchandise and if anyone deserves a video game it's them.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:47
I think they wouldn't have minded the game at all. What especially John would have hated, though, is the use of their work in commercials - John would have flipped, had he heard "Revolution" in a Nike spot, "Getting Better" in a Philips commercial or "All You Need Is Love" used for a campaign for disposable diapers in 2007!!

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: Trademark
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 11:18
There were Beatles dolls, lunchboxes, notebooks, etc., etc., etc., etc.,etc., etc., back in the day.  ( I had the lunchbox complete with thermos in 1968 in the 4th grade)  Hell, they even had a Saturday morning cartoon.  The Beatles were the basic model for the Gene Simmons mode of merchandising.  I think if they had stayed together and were still around as a a commercial entity it would have happened sooner and on a much larger scale than it already has.  The new Beatles album would be available exclusively at Wall-e-mart just like all the rest.  Poor Gene, out flanked by the Pre-Fab 4 once again.  Look for the Kiss version next year.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 11:39
I think it's great, finally a Rock Band/Guitar Hero type game that is musically interesting to me! I hope that it gets kids genuinely interested in The Beatles. I hoped the same thing with Rush in Rock Band, I played Moving Pictures, but for some reason nobody who liked playing Tom Sawyer liked it.

Too bad I don't have a game system to play it. Cry

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 15:09

They will listen to Beatles because they are in a video game, and not because... whatever...

Don't worry, I know what you meant. Wink

I hate Guitar Hero, Rock Band, all that stuff. I think it's lame. If kinds want to play an instrument, they need to really learn to play, not play at being something they aren't. That just keeps them in the attitude of 'the dreamer', and not an attitude that pushes them forward.

Now . . . having said that, it's just my own personal opinion, and I know a lot of guys like the idea of a game such as this, because they think it will motivate more kids to actually pick up a real guitar. Personally, I think it's going to have the opposite effect, but whatever. The point is, it's here, it's not going away anytime soon, and if making a Beatles game out of it is what it takes to bring even more kids into our world, then by God, I'm going to  jump for joy over it, no matter how against the concept itself I may be.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:04
I've said it before, I'll say it again, but I'm an old fart.  For the price of one of these games/guitars, a person could buy an actual real guitar -- you know, the kind with stings instead of buttons -- and possibly learn to play it a bit.  It's not that hard to learn to play Louie Louie or Gloria.  And then from there maybe learn another song or two.  And then, once the glitter of the game fades, they have the real game, which will provide challenges far beyond yer average video game, for life.  Yeah, it takes a bit more work. 

Weird analogy:  when I was 13-14 years old, my friends and I had no video games.  We did have instruments and amps however, and we'd spend hours playing crappy though seminal songs in our garages.  I suppose it was a similar time-sink.  On the other hand, 40 years later I can always plug in the guitar or power up the keyboard and play a ton of music, fingers feeling the strings and frets, or navigating all those odd-shaped keys of any keyboard (only the black ones are uniform in spatial dimension).     

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:42
^ Trust me, I'm still a kid and I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think these kinds of games are playing on people's lack of motivation to go and accomplish something 'for real', and we have all daydreamed of being a rock star at one point or another, so from a marketing standpoint, it makes total sense.

But then again, pressing buttons on a toy guitar doesn't pay the bills or give you much real sense of accomplishment, does it?

Posted By: mr.cub
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:58
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Don't worry, I know what you meant. Wink

I hate Guitar Hero, Rock Band, all that stuff. I think it's lame. If kinds want to play an instrument, they need to really learn to play, not play at being something they aren't. That just keeps them in the attitude of 'the dreamer', and not an attitude that pushes them forward.

Now . . . having said that, it's just my own personal opinion, and I know a lot of guys like the idea of a game such as this, because they think it will motivate more kids to actually pick up a real guitar. Personally, I think it's going to have the opposite effect, but whatever. The point is, it's here, it's not going away anytime soon, and if making a Beatles game out of it is what it takes to bring even more kids into our world, then by God, I'm going to  jump for joy over it, no matter how against the concept itself I may be.
Very good point and I couldn't agree more. I'm not really keen on Rock Band/Guitar Hero, but if it exposes younger people to the group then I'm all for it. Hopefully they go out and buy the albums instead of stealing the music...that is my only qualm, especially with my generation's respect for musical artists

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:59

^ Trust me, I'm still a kid and I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think these kinds of games are playing on people's lack of motivation to go and accomplish something 'for real', and we have all daydreamed of being a rock star at one point or another, so from a marketing standpoint, it makes total sense.

But then again, pressing buttons on a toy guitar doesn't pay the bills or give you much real sense of accomplishment, does it?

I agree, it seems so much more productive if you learn to play an actual instrument, at least then you can learn new songs or make your own when you get tired of the playing the same ones. I have always hated the mindless button pressing that you have to do on some songs, where you press the same button over and over and over, it kills my wrist to use the guitar controller.

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:02
^Well, also . . . I have played the game before at friends' houses, and I swear, it completely re-programs my brain! I go to pick up my actual Guitar, and forget what I'm doing for a little while!

The logistics between the two are so incredibly different, that I'm afraid to play it myself anymore. No kid could graduate to actual musical instruments from that. The whole 'feel' is nothing alike.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:22

I'm not going to buy it, but F**K people who are against it because it's "tainting the fanbase" by introducing people to music through a media other than print media (oh no! they'll be mindlessly conforming to a videogame instead of an internet forum and high school clique!) or that it's "selling out".

Basically, you don't have a single logical reason against it? This argument is even worse than your self-made avatars!

But you don't play Guitar Hero because you want to play an instrument! You play it because you want to have fun.

Jammum, since when has a guitar cost $60?

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'm not going to buy it, but F**K people who are against it because it's "tainting the fanbase" by introducing people to music through a media other than print media (oh no! they'll be mindlessly conforming to a videogame instead of an internet forum and high school clique!) or that it's "selling out".

Basically, you don't have a single logical reason against it? This argument is even worse than your self-made avatars!

But you don't play Guitar Hero because you want to play an instrument! You play it because you want to have fun.

. . . you weren't hugged much as a child, were you? Tongue

Look, I'm all for having fun. I'm actually a huge gamer! I love playing videogames, but not when they claim to have anything in common with what they are simulating. I have heard many people say how they think Guitar Hero and Rock Band will inspire kids to play the real instruments. To me, that is ludicrous, and i agree with you, that SHOULDN"T be a reason to play those games, but many people seem to think that it IS.

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:50

The game is $60.   Sorry out of the loop, my kids are no longer kids.  What's the controller (guitar) cost?  Assuming you have the game platform, which yes we have a few of those around the house.  But you can get a decent enough Strat copy for around $200.  My original point being, you can play a game that will provide a few hundred hours of enjoyment, or potentially learn a skill that will provide a lifetime of same.

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:56
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

The game is $60.   Sorry out of the loop, my kids are no longer kids.  What's the controller (guitar) cost?  Assuming you have the game platform, which yes we have a few of those around the house.  But you can get a decent enough Strat copy for around $200.  My original point being, you can play a game that will provide a few hundred hours of enjoyment, or potentially learn a skill that will provide a lifetime of same.

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink Your point makes plenty of sense from where i am standing, if that's any comfort to you at all. Hug

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:59

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-III-Legends-Wireless-Bundle/dp/B000TG531G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252029380&sr=8-3 - GH 3 is a little out of date but it's only $50 for everything.  The new one is $100, which is closer to the cost of a low end acoustic.

You can, but you're making a false comparison. Playing the game and playing a guitar are two completely different things that are done for completely different reasons. It's a rhythm game to accompany beloved songs, not a guitar simulator. Nobody in the world thinks Guitar Hero has anything to do with real guitar, and in fact, I know someone who started learning how to play bass because of Guitar Hero!

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:00
uh Rock Band/Guitar Hero is played by both adults and kids of every age.
I have no problem with it and I will probably buy it.
Why? Because I'm a Beatles Fan and the re-mastered tracks sound awesome.
I don't get why people have their panties in a bunch because it is just another way to enjoy music.
I mean, if you guys get pissed at this do you also throw a hissy fit at all the karaoke  machines and bars?

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:01

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink
I have to do something to compensate for being a failure. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:04

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink
I have to do something to compensate for being a failure. ;-)

LOL Aww, come now, Harry! You're not a failure to me! Big hugs!!! Hug

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:08

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink Your point makes plenty of sense from where i am standing, if that's any comfort to you at all. Hug
Eh, we all get in our moods around here.  I will say this:  if Rock Band Beatles introduces more people to Beatles music, that's all good.  And if Rock Band itself causes a kid or two to actually pick up a guitar, that's all the more good.  As said, I grew up in a different era, where the only video game was hanging out with friends playing Gloria or Just Like Me or some other song from back then, and then getting a gig at the middle school prom, whether we sucked (more than likely) or not (less likely).  Our guitar player had Hey Joe down

-------------

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 23:46

^Well, also . . . I have played the game before at friends' houses, and I swear, it completely re-programs my brain! I go to pick up my actual Guitar, and forget what I'm doing for a little while!

The logistics between the two are so incredibly different, that I'm afraid to play it myself anymore. No kid could graduate to actual musical instruments from that. The whole 'feel' is nothing alike.
You're right, but I am a fan of this genre, don't know how. Maybe it's because I don't want to quit something if I'm good at it, and maybe I just like it, I really really don't know.

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 00:47

I know i suck at arguments, but that's still my opinion. Live with it.
And what do you have against my self-made avatars?

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 12:30

But you should have a good reason for your opinion!

Your avatar is ok now, but the "psychadelic" ones you made in Paint were ugly and terrible because everything made in Paint is ugly and terrible unless it is ugly and terrible ironically, but I don't think you were being ironic.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 12:57

But you should have a good reason for your opinion!

Your avatar is ok now, but the "psychadelic" ones you made in Paint were ugly and terrible because everything made in Paint is ugly and terrible unless it is ugly and terrible ironically, but I don't think you were being ironic.

Some of them were ugly, yes. But not all of them.
I'm experimenting in paint. My self-made avatars are progressive Wink

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 13:07
This one's for you Micah.

http://www.xkcd.com/359/ - http://www.xkcd.com/359/

Wink

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 15:59

I agree with that comic Pat, but whatever you do, DON'T POST WEDNESDAY'S XKCD. Randall officially jumped the shark with that one.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 16:03
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

This one's for you Micah.

http://www.xkcd.com/359/ - http://www.xkcd.com/359/

Wink

LOL Thanks for that, Patrick! I needed a good laugh today. Smile

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 22:44

It occurs to me, now, that the countless hours I spent playing Super Mario or original Zelda or whatever were a massive time sink.  I just wouldn't want to confuse that game-playing time with time playing an instrument, where there is that magical moment when one comprehends, for example, the cycle of fifths.  I guess my point is, don't confuse the two.  Have fun, play the game, listen to some Beatles  It's all good. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk