Print Page | Close Window

Inappropriate Ratings

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Report abuse here
Forum Description: Let us know about inappropriate reviews, posts, PMs, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60970
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 01:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Inappropriate Ratings
Posted By: The Runaway
Subject: Inappropriate Ratings
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:17

Ever since The Incident by Porcupine Tree was leaked there have been 7 ratings already. I don't think it's good that this site has people who opinionate on leaks which were not in the good intentions of the artists, in this case PT. I don't know if you should remove them or just warn the raters, but I just thought something had to be done.

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Replies:
Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:26
Dealt with. Prior to the release date, all ratings without reviews and reviews based on leaks will be removed. Cheers

Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:51
No problem. I suggest checking 2032 and The Whirlwind for other possible ratings.

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 10:37
New one for The Incident, and not only is it not a rating, but a review, it is also stolen from another user, and not only that, from another SITE!

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 11:11
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

New one for The Incident, and not only is it not a rating, but a review, it is also stolen from another user, and not only that, from another SITE!

And the rating itself is inappropriate, he said  "I may require more listens, but so far... is not even close to other good albums." but still rated it 4 stars. There are now two ratings on The Incident, btw

Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:05
There should be an announcement on the front page during times like these of anticipated prog albums that are about to be released.

-------------

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 02:13

The most visited album (as seen on homepage) is exactly this album. I wonder what are people seeing there. No reviews, no ratings ... Oh crap, there are ratings. And quite high ones.

So either lock unreleased albums, or constantly delete rats/revs. Or leave them rate/review it, there's no other choice :-)

8 ratings, for god's sake

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 03:26
I see no review or rating there by now... but well, the day is still beginning. Confused

Anyway, thanks for the report and follow-up! Thumbs Up

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 03:30
Originally posted by MartyMcFly89 MartyMcFly89 wrote:

The most visited album (as seen on homepage) is exactly this album. I wonder what are people seeing there. No reviews, no ratings ... Oh crap, there are ratings. And quite high ones.

So either lock unreleased albums, or constantly delete rats/revs. Or leave them rate/review it, there's no other choice :-)

8 ratings, for god's sake

The issues about "locking unreleased albums" are that we cannot forget to unlock Embarrassed it and also that the release date vary from one country to another: sometimes a band choose a country (not always USA or UK) and make a test there to feel the pulse, things like that.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 03:34
Have just posted here:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55830 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55830
Please do something about these ratings!!  Thanks in anticipation.
Penny

EmbarrassedEdit. Apologies - I may have jumped the gun on this particular release. However, it would still be great if some of these ratings could be better monitored and dealt with accordingly. Smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 05:28

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

The issues about "locking unreleased albums" are that we cannot forget to unlock Embarrassed it and also that the release date vary from one country to another: sometimes a band choose a country (not always USA or UK) and make a test there to feel the pulse, things like that.

I don't see  any ratings also, but two hours ago, they were there. About 4.56 average (maybe) and 8 ratings. Maybe 4.5, but now, nothing.

Which is good of course.

what about some tiny application in admin panel which would serve as time lock (IE-would open album at day of its first release date, so DE-21,US-24,UK-27 = unlock on 21), but that's just suggestion, nothing more. If you'll find it impossible to do (after all, you woud do all the job, I'm just advisor, just words, no deeds), I'm happx with current state.

I must admit that I wasn't counting with that unlock thing, my bad. But these dates should be included on album's page.

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Date Posted: September 03 2009 at 07:58
Thanks for taking care of this. Off-topic, what do you guys think of the new Gong album?

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 02:27
^^Haven't got it - Apologies

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=23718 - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=23718

- Its back up to 5

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 04:05
aaaaand 6.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 05:14
^^F**king hell, 7 now?!

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 05:47

evidence :-)

-------------

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Date Posted: September 04 2009 at 09:14
I can't believe this...

-------------

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:15
I was able to get a copy of "The Incident" ten days before it's official release. I won't tell you how.

It is possible that these people did the same thing I did.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by EatThatPhonebook EatThatPhonebook wrote:

I was able to get a copy of "The Incident" ten days before it's official release. I won't tell you how.

It is possible that these people did the same thing I did.

If it's illegal, please omit posting it, because Prog Archives doesnt support or admit illegal downloading.

Please if you like Prog Archives and want to keep it open, avoid comments that could place us in risk.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:34
Ivan is right. 

Just an inconsequential note: aside from promo copies, sometimes bands and/or PR people deliberately leak the music to create a buzz/ advance interest.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:53
^ And in these cases, band cannot admit that it was its leakage. So we're not sure if it's leak or illegal downloading. Difficult.

-------------

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 14:54

I receive some CDs well before the release date due to reasons which will remain private. But I always make sure that the reviews are not published before the release date. So the best rule to avoid any conflicts with the record labels and bands is not to accept any reviews before the release date.

Simple.  

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I receive some CDs well before the release date due to reasons which will remain private. But I always make sure that the reviews are not published before the release date. So the best rule to avoid any conflicts with the record labels and bands is not to accept any reviews before the release date.

Simple.  

Even when I agree with you and rather wait until the release date (I posted the bio and review of Anton Roolaart exactly at 8:00 am of the date of release, even when Anton sent me the album several days before, the effect was great, we have the first OFFICIAL bio and review in the net), the pre-release reviews  have been discussed and accepted with limits.

I have received lots of albums before being released, specially from Symphonic bands that want to be included ASAP, so if by request of the band I have to write a review before the official release, I make sure to mention that the album was provided by the band, and to make the most impartial review I'm able to do..

Iván

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 15:54
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=30572 - This album will be released in late November, but it already has a rating. 

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 17:10
^^^ All those ratings should be nuked unless:

It's a pre-release special that's sanctioned by the band/label.

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:06
The question remains how does an album get out in the open without the band somehow releasing it.

leaking is almost never accidental, more often completely deliberate. why should we care. let the bands involved themselves take steps to avoid leakings, we should be free to listen and review any album we have.

pre-release leakage, doesn't mean the album is any different than after release, and as the artist has an interest in leaking (why else would they leak it) why should we be concerned about it.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:16
I'd agree but tuxon but we do have to live in PA...and I thought it was against the rules to review albums before they are officially released.

And yes Ben, if someone would illegally obtain Agalloch they must be nukedNuke

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 04:59
Can an admin get rid of the Agalloch rating please, the album is still over a month away from being released.

Thanks.

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:33
Rating deleted. If the guy has an official preview copy, it would be if he would actually review it.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:06
Back when I managed a CD store, it was not unusual to get promo copies before the release date, for in-store play.  I don't know how they would feel about pre-release reviews, but I doubt any band or label wouldn't want the publicity.

I suppose a site policy on this should be decided upon & posted.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:25
The policy has been stated a few times. Essentially, we'll only accept reviews of genuine promotional copies prior to the release date, not leaks or pirate copies. Enforcement of this is of course not an exact science, but it generally works OK. 

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 15:29
Thanks guys.

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 12:07

AGALLOCH Marrow Of The Spirit ratings only

chronological order | showing rating only
  • 5 stars ../Collaborators.asp?id=24654 - Heisenberg
  • 5 stars ../Collaborators.asp?id=20070 - sauromat (alexander)

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

Marrow of the Spirit is the upcoming fourth album of the metal band http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agalloch - Agalloch , set to be released on November 23, 2010, through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profound_Lore_Records - Profound Lore Records

Geek

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 12:09
^Unbridled enthusiasm.  I get one of their tenets for "masterpiece" is not that the album must hold up well over timeLOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 22:39
There are 11 ratings for Agalloch's future release now. Some of them are * ratings from people who are evidently trying to push up other albums in the chart, like these guys:  ../Collaborators.asp?id=31496 - ten.years.after (his only login was to give those ratings, he didn't come back) and ../Collaborators.asp?id=31390 - tortoisetree .

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 05:08
On their label site it was announced yesterday this album is officially on sales from Friday,Nov 12.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/

So, all ratings (and even reviews - we have review)made before that date looks as not very legal?

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 05:46
It would probably be best if people didn't add albums until they are on sale, obviously that is the root of these problems.

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 06:33
The root is that people are allowed to rate or review once an album is added Smile every good thing has a bad counterpart ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:06
^ thats what I'm saying, why don't we quit adding albums before they are on sale.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:15
We can't. Any member is entitled to add albums and there is no mechanism in place to check all these release dates.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:20
Maybe if an album is added before it goes on sale we should delete the addition rather than wait for the inevitable reviews that will have to be deleted. Seems to me we are going about this backwards.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Maybe if an album is added before it goes on sale we should delete the addition rather than wait for the inevitable reviews that will have to be deleted. Seems to me we are going about this backwards.

ClapClapClap

Yes, I don't understand why we can't quickly solve this continuous problem. 

We either have a rule not to add albums until sale date (and quickly delete any that are added before the release date), or, we give up this other rule that says you can rate/review until that date.

Two options....let's pick one and move on!  Otherwise we'll driving Admin nuts with this same complaint until the end of time. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:48
Thank you Jim, I have been saying this for a year or two now. If an album isn't supposed to be reviewed, then it shouldn't be up for review, how much common sense does that take.

We also wouldn't need to go around witch hunting for early additions, but when that first bogus review comes in that gets everyone's attention, then get rid of the addition.

Either that or quit sweating the early reviews, because to tell you the truth, the way bands do promotions with their fan clubs these days, its hard to tell which early releases are legit or not.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:52
Errm... yeah, right. That could work. Except that it looks a bit silly for 'The Ulmatimate Prog Rock Resource' to not be amongst the first to list an album on its site. Not very ultimate if others don't follow the same policy.

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:05
Yes, but once the album is added, if you scroll down the page our site prompts you to review this album ...

Anybody else catching whats illogical about this scenario?

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:06
You have to figure that the ratings/reviews of people who pirate and listen are either going to be blatantly fanboy (5 stars) or blatantly hater (1 star) reviews for the most part. It might just be best to put a disclaimer saying we don't try to filter out all reviews before the release date, so take them all with even more grain of salt.

Anyone who's looking up the album before the date will know to disregard one star reviews (even more so for ratings) if they have any common sense.

And if there are well-thought out reviews of the album in any range that seem to be a fair appraisal of the album, there's really no reason for disregarding it anyway, before the release date or not. The chances of the tracks being wrong are not that high, and someone who couldn't figure that out before reviewing the album would probably not write a well thought-out review anyway. Disregard once more.

Not very many people review from CD quality tracks, anyway, and even more people listen to album rips of various bitrate quality, and that doesn't change after a release date.

The point is, we should filter for quality of reviews, before the release date especially. Just because an album was leaked 3 weeks before release doesn't mean that album isn't still a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 star record.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:22
I think we should have the possibility to have new albums added before the date of release, every musical site do it,nothing is wrong with that, and it's good to be on the edge of newest information.

But I think the easiest (and possibly the best) way is just to confirm the rule no reviews/ratings could be edited before the day of official album's release. It will solve everything.

I am sure it wouldn't work at once, but for everyone who is in charge it will be easy just to delete all reviews/ratings before the time, and step after step we will bring this in order.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:29
You guys are missing something here. When an album is added to PA, there is prompt at the bottom of that album page that encourages you to write a review or rating for that album.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:40
Yes, but what is the problem for everyone, who own the leak and didn't find the album on PA just to add it first, and right then to review it or add rating?

I think technically both cases are absolutely the same. You can't block writing the review/voting for added album, and you can't block the addition of such album (everyone can do it).

In both cases we can have very concrete rule, and just try to control the situation. At least, every vote/review added against the rule would be deleted more easily than today, when we have long discussion about every such case. Then it will be more technical question

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:44
I think it is illogical to ask someone to write a review and then delete it.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:06
Most of the albums I review nowadays are promo copies. Some of these albums aren't even out for another month when I review them. I'm sure lots of other people receive promos as well. Removing any albums prior to release date would infuriate me.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:12
Well don't be mad Jeff.  Just don't post reviews of albums until release date, as per the rules.  

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:13
I really don't care is reviewed copy a leak or original. The problem I see is of legal character, and I almost sure PA as site can have the problems with pre-released reviews. If one will be able to bring confirmation that his pre-release copy was legal one, it's great, but if not? And who will deal with all these problems then?

We all know that 99% of all pre-release reviews are done from leaks. If we will leave everything as it is (and such pre-release reviews are not such a rare case on PA), one day we will have serious problems for sure.

So - should we   establish a special service on PA for checking if every pre-release review is done from legal release (promo,etc)? I can't imagine it at all.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:13
Sure Jeff, we're past that one now, we all agree to put the album up early, but just realize it comes with an automatic encouragement to write a review, so people shouldn't be surprised if the album gets reviewed.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:15
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

On their label site it was announced yesterday this album is officially on sales from Friday,Nov 12.

So, all ratings (and even reviews - we have review)made before that date looks as not very legal?

Yes, I didn't know this when I posted. They made the album available already because of the leak.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:18
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Yes, I didn't know this when I posted. They made the album available already because of the leak.

Yes,you right. But it doesn't change the situation - pre-Friday review and ratings all were done before official release date (happily from yesterday it not a problem anymore)

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:22

I think it is illogical to ask someone to write a review and then delete it.

I got your point there,John. I agree if there is no other way, possibly it's better don't accept albums addition before date of release.

But - everyone who writes pre-release review from leak perfectly knows, what he/she is doing. So possibly they shouldn't be surprised if such reviews will be deleted. Just my opinion

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:26
I see the Agalloch reviews/ratings are still there.   Are they going to be removed?  Or are we going to change the policy to allow reviews prior to official street date?

Something has to give.  You can't have published rules that everyone just ignores.  If the rule sucks and everyone hates it, then lets change it.  Otherwise, let's enforce it. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:34
If you guys want to delete the reviews go ahead, but this is an illogical system.

Out on the open on PA, a new album addition comes with an automatic prompt and encouragement to write a review, meanwhile, back here in secret we are going to delete those reviews and the people who are being encouraged to write reviews don't even know this, it makes no sense.

EDIT: I realize the reviews should go, but its weird they are being encouraged first.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:38
IMO the problem with such ratings (and sometimes reviews) is that often bands and/or their staff are watching PA, which is the case of Agalloch (especially considering they were interested to get a promo review from PA), and we don't want to look as a place where those who pirate gather. The best solution would be to close the rating/reviewing service until the release date and only allow real promo reviews upon request. And regarding the strong marketing done with promo items, I hope none of you actually believes those Agalloch ratings come from promo copies...

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:41

With this I don't agree, having the album up there creates interest, people see it and preorder the album, we get traffic, etc.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:41
You're right John, it doesn't make sense.  So let's decide if we're going to allow it, and either change the rule or enforce it.  You guys in Admin need to make the call, and I encourage you do so, so we can end these debates. 

And I don't have the authority to delete reviews, or they'd already be gone.  I don't care one way or the other, I just like to see some consistency with our stated policy. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:42
I realize the reviews should go, but its weird that we ask for and encourage them first, that is the whole disconnect on this thing.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:44

If you guys want to delete the reviews go ahead, but this is an illogical system.

Out on the open on PA, a new album addition comes with an automatic prompt and encouragement to write a review, meanwhile, back here in secret we are going to delete those reviews and the people who are being encouraged to write reviews don't even know this, it makes no sense.

EDIT: I realize the reviews should go, but its weird they are being encouraged first.

Nobody is reviewing the album John, except for Conor who was an obvious case of promotional reviewing. There are only ratings. But now that the album is oficially out, I think we can let them stay. Yes it's possible to check the date when the ratings were posted but now this is not that interesting for anyone anymore.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:45

With this I don't agree, having the album up there creates interest, people see it and preorder the album, we get traffic, etc.

Alex, we are past that, everyone agrees that the album goes up early now. I just think it is weird that the album addition comes with an encouragement to write reviews, and then people are surprised when that happens.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:52
I agree with John there, and I know what would be the proper decision (speaking about future, we all know such cases will repeat again and again).

Till PA let to add new album for everyone who would like to do it, you can't control if every new album was added in time or before of its official date of release.

If only members who have responsibility will be able to add albums, then we will be sure what happens, if we will decide that new album could be added only in the day of official release, or later. Without such changes we will always have some pre-release added albums

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:53
Look, let me try to explain this one more time. When we add an album on the site it comes with an automatic prompt to write a review. That is why people are writing reviews for these albums. We are asking them to.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:11

The best solution would be to close the rating/reviewing service until the release date and only allow real promo reviews upon request.

Totally agree. Clap Thumbs Up

(I am pretty sure this technically can be implemented if this forum is SQL based) 

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:14
^ that is a good idea, it would take Max to see if it is doable or not.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:23

Let's say that ProgBand release the album "II" on 12. December.

You add the album today with the release date 12. December in an own entry box. I get/steal a leaked version and tries to review it. I should then get a denied service message "Sorry, this album is not out yet" and a grayed out entry field for the review. This according to SQL.    

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:31

Let's say that ProgBand release the album "II" on 12. December.

You add the album today with the release date 12. December in an own entry box. I get/steal a leaked version and tries to review it. I should then get a denied service message "Sorry, this album is not out yet" and a grayed out entry field for the review. This according to SQL.    

Clap  Awesome!  That'd be ideal if possible. 

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Well don't be mad Jeff.  Just don't post reviews of albums until release date, as per the rules.  

Sorry about that. I didn't intend on coming across as angry. Smile

I was just pointing out that 99% of the reviewing I do nowadays is based on legal promotional copies. I wouldn't be too happy if a feature were implemented that prevented me from doing pre-release reviews.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:34

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:01
The automation option has been discussed in the past. Outcome was that this would be policy driven for the time being, with Bob and Guigo guarding the reviews:

Albums can be added at any time, and if they are added before release date, that means that illegitimate reviews and ratings will have to be removed. Ratings without review are deleted without checking, for reviews I think Bob and/or Guigo normally check with the reviewer to find out if they may have received a promo copy. Bob's on vacation, and Guigo is in a different time zone (and not online 24x7) so it may take a while for ratings to be removed.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:10
^ Excellent answer. No more questions, and I believe everyone should be happy with this as well

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:19
So Angelo, are you saying that if the reviewer received a legit promo copy, then a review can be published prior to street official date? 

I want to make sure I understand.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:46
Yes. That happens quite a lot actually. Of late, bands have also started releasing albums earlier to fan clubs than to the general public, so it only gets 'worse'.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:47
Needless to say: with the above in mind, it can't heard to bring this to M@X's attention again. Feel free to come up with a worked out proposal, but accept that there is no guarantee he will actually implement it.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:17
With all respect, I think this is a decision for the Admin group to make with Max, not something for members to create.  There must be a good reason for the original rule.  If it still exists, we should enforce the rule and remove reviews.  If the reasons for the rule don't really apply or matter anymore, the rule should be dropped. 

I don't know the particulars and legal issues that concerned Max in the first place, so I'm hardly the person to suggest a proposal.  My comments were just general, that if we have a rule, we should comply and enforce it. 

There are a lot of difficult decisions that come with running a site.....personality issues, genre debates, etc.  This should not be one of them.  It should be very easy to determine what our policy is, then either dump it or enforce it. 

I'll stop now....I've said too much, obviously ambiguity is a pet peeve of mine.

Gotta get ready for beer hour, it is Saturday nightWink.  Prog on boys.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:23
Enjoy your beer! As I said: the rule is being enforced, except that the enforcers are not online (yet).

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:23
We can keep the system we have if you want, but it still seems strange to me that we would encourage and solicit reviews from people that we plan on deleting.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:33
Can't you just consider it an invitation to post a review for people who are legally able to provide one? No system is perfect - having an automatic date check will force us to enter release dates. I don't know about you, but I'm not volunteering for that. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:42
I'm not volunteering for anything

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:57
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:00
Hard to really get out of line with a rating.  Reviews are a different matter.  I have been smacked down for doing a review of Morning Sky by Morning Sky and for doing a review of Marillion's Somewhere Else after my first listen.

So anyway:

SKY — Morning Sky
Review by Slartibartfast (Brian S. Lindsey)

4 stars This album seems to have vanished down the memory hole. I have been unable to find it listed in any of the muscian's discographies. The closest reference to this one I could find on the internet is Cavatina being used as the signature theme for the film, The Deer Hunter. A new version of the theme from Z also shows up on Sky 4.

It's not an official "Sky" release, but I've always considered it to be the first Sky album as it has "Sky" in the title, plus it has Williams and Flowers on it. Rick Wakeman is also in the credits, but I don't hear anything in the keyboard work that is distinctively Wakeman. If the acoustic guitar playing weren't distinctively Williams, I would almost doubt this album is for real, something I snatched out of dream made solid.

No telling if this album will ever see the light of CD. I acquired it in the age of LP, somewhere in the early 80's, used. Wish I could share it with fellow Sky fans. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across such a rare release.

A little elaboration on the credits: Track 5 is listed as P 1971 Fly Records, Londaon The second side of LP, I listed as tracks 6-10, are credited to being arranged and produced by Stanley Myers P 1971 Fly Records, London.

Marillion may have started out heavily borrowing from old Genesis’ style, but they’ve come a long way, baby.  They have a sound now that is totally their own.  I’m a little surprised by the occasional negative review I’ve seen before mine.  I’m one to pay more attention to the appreciators than the criticizers.  This is an excellent album.  I’ve only had one complete listen so far and I can tell it will grow on me even more.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:00
Amazon prevents reviews to be added before official release by hiding away the Add your review  button

Date Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:14
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=31590 - This rating is http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71741&PID=3952312#3952312 - not OK .

Date Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:20

http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=31590 - This rating is http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71741&PID=3952312#3952312 - not OK .

Yup, beat me to it

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:46
^ From Kayo Dot label Hydra Head Records: HH666-213 KAYO DOT "Stained Glass" CD EP will be officially released at November 26,2010

http://hydraheadlines.blogspot.com/search/label/Kayo%20Dot

Then, all ratings before that date are against the rules and I am 100% sure that 1* rating isn't based on legal pre-release promo.

Date Posted: November 20 2010 at 13:59
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Yup, beat me to it

It now has two ratings.

EDIT: considering that Toby Driver comes to PA on a regular basis (he recently posted quotes from Scott's review of Coyote on his blog, almost the same day the review was posted), I think it would be a good idea to delete these ratings.

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 20 2010 at 14:08

• 2 stars ../Collaborators.asp?id=21658 - Third Eye Traveller (Bartek)

That's not me! I swear! Shocked

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 20 2010 at 14:12
LOL

That guy doesn't seem to be a KD hater, he has very good ratings for other Toby Driver realted albums. Or maybe he is playing mind-games with us. LOL If so, he should know that EPs don't show up in the annual chart.

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 04:39
New Mogwai album will be released at February 14,2011. This information is oficiall from band's site:

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/News/News_2010/Hardcore_Will_Never_Die,_But_You_Will/

We have there some ratings on this album right now, almost one and half month before release:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32052

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 05:22

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Amazon prevents reviews to be added before official release by hiding away the Add your review  button

That would be a good idea here too to avoid legal problems........... but it is a massive undertaking, admin wise. That means we must appoint a New Releases Collab. And that must be an oracle of infinite wisdom type of Collab. I am not sure if that is possible.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:22

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

That would be a good idea here too to avoid legal problems........... but it is a massive undertaking, admin wise. That means we must appoint a New Releases Collab. And that must be an oracle of infinite wisdom type of Collab. I am not sure if that is possible.

The problem with this is that artists often give us legitimate pre-release copies to review. 

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:26

Yes, and I am still awaiting my copy of your fifth album Beware Of He, The Wolf From Idaho. 

The whole issue is a bit of a gordian knot and impossible to administer so it is better to let it rest instead of getting high blood pressure over it. 

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:47
Sure, we might get pre-release copies from the artist, but if the site has a policy not to post reviews before the street date, then we should wait until that time.  Do we have that policy?     

Would seem easy to enforce provided the street date can be verified us. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:15

Yes, and I am still awaiting my copy of your fifth album Beware Of He, The Wolf From Idaho. 

The whole issue is a bit of a gordian knot and impossible to administer so it is better to let it rest instead of getting high blood pressure over it. 

Someone is having high blood pressure   

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 11:02
Well, these guys should be punished.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31535" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31535
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32570" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32570
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=1636" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=1636
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32539" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32539
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32533" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32533
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31616" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31616
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31199" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31199
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31566" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31566
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31824" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31824
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=28690" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=28690  (this one was pretty weird, who on Earth would rate Coyote and One-Armed Bandit one star?)

And look, these two fellas here rated Il Tempo Delle Clessidre 5 stars. And that's their only rating.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32605" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32605
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32610" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32610

These two did the same as the two above, but with Echo's The Dream.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32539" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32539
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32533" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32533

OT - Spammers:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32591" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32591
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32468" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32468
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32414" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32414

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:01
Giving something a 1 when you think it deserves a 5???  A 5 when you think it should get a 1???  You can write an inappropriate review, you can't dish out an inappropriate rating/

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk