Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6121
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 04:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How do you view the American?
Posted By: Sweetnighter
Subject: How do you view the American?
Date Posted: May 11 2005 at 22:22
So, how do you view the American? This can go for the contemporary american or the stereotypical/ideal American man/woman that has served as an image for the past 250+ years. 

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Replies:
Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: May 11 2005 at 22:32
Is there really such a  person as a true American.

They come in all flavours, so all of the posibilities are true, and non of the possibilities are true.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: nacho
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 03:20

I cannot answer to this poll: I haven't personally met all the Americans.

I think there are a couple of Brasilians, four or five Canadians and maybe three Peruvians that don't even know I exist...

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 06:57
Its not really on that list, but your country is divided almost down the middle politically population wise. Its hard to say one of those things because the clear majority isnt very large.

Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:01
i guess what i'm really asking is: what is the world image of the typical or ideal american? obviously every american is unique, as is every individual around the world, but how is the american populus viewed?

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:16
Again, I find it's really difficult to answer to that: I have some ideas about some of the americans, but I guess there's very little in common among people from Cuba, Argentina and Canada, just to mention three of the american countries....

Posted By: synthguy
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 17:31
Good point, Nacho, But I think Sweetnighter is talking
about United States Of American. Those Americans.
As one of those, I can say that neither the news media or
Hollywood,or the American politicians can accurately
portray the average American. Like people everywhere each
of us is unique. Each of us is a person. " we breathe the
same air...and we are all mortal."

-------------
Wearing feelings on our faces when our faces took a rest...

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 03:22

Sometimes I see us as a bunch of whiny, greedy, status symbol fetishists with no eye for beauty and an atrophied compassion.

Sometimes I see us as an energetic, optimistic bunch of frontiersmen who believe strongly in "live and let live".

Sometimes I see us as a bunch of regular folks who just want to lay low, stay clean and provide for their families...and maybe get a little raucous once in a while.

Sometimes I see us as grasping, posessive, demanding monomaniacs who cannot rest until everyone on the planet either serves us or at least suffers along with us.

Sometimes I see us as a struggling brotherhood participating in the greatest mass experiment in history- momentarily embattled, but with the solution to all the world's problems almost within our grasp.

Sometimes I see us as growing quietly desperate over the nickel and dime losses in ideals, potential and vigor from year to year...each generation less likely to repair the leaks in the boat, and more unpredictable in our rising, repressed panic.

I'm choosing to remain proud and hopeful but it's damn tough sometimes.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sollipsist/?chartstyle=kaonashi">

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 07:02

I see Americans as much the same as all Western peoples at the mercy of rampant Capitalism.

We are thrown enough titbits from the master's table to keep us sweet and compliant.Meanwhile the "great and good" defecate all over the planet in our name.They make sure that enough of us want to sit at their table (even though there aren't any seats available) to maintain the status quo.

Yet the man in the street sings about the Land Of The Free.....

We are all blind,cowardly and ignorant and that is how "they" like it.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 07:17
Nacho said

Again, I find it's really difficult to answer to that: I have some ideas about some of the americans, but I guess there's very little in common among people from Cuba, Argentina and Canada, just to mention three of the american countries....

Cmon Nacho behave.....you know very well that he means the USA! Naughty naughty

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 07:26

Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 07:50
How do I view Americans?  From behind them if they're firing at anyone!

-------------

Posted By: gleam
Date Posted: May 14 2005 at 13:18

Americans are a mass of contradictions which is a good thing. We work hard and play hard. Millions of people come from all over the world every year to share in the ideal. 

There are many wrongs in our country, but all in all there is a lot of good too. In general, the average American means well. I think the most important thing to remember is that we are the luckiest people in the world.

Oh, btw Tony R. Your welcome... We will be more than happy to save your asses a third time, just as we did in the previous two wars. After all let's face it, if not for us you would be speaking German.

Posted By: arcer
Date Posted: May 14 2005 at 16:35
I see them from as far away as I can possibly get - they're weird... and
smell of milk

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: May 14 2005 at 17:23
One American journalist said that the USA is divided between those whose state adjoins the sea, and those whose state doesn't.  If your state does, then you are more likely to have a sense of irony and realise that there was an old York before there was a new one.  Those whose states don't border the sea are more likely to own a dog, carry a gun and go to church on a sunday.

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: May 14 2005 at 17:49

Fandango, a couple of observations...

Irony is an excuse for those who think "they can't" achieve anything.

New York is the center of the financial world, old York isn't.

Personally, I like my dog. He's loyal, friendly and nonjudgemental. You must be a cat lover. 

I don't carry a gun around with me however I do own a few.

Although I don't go to church - ever, I don't consider organized religion a bad thing.

Oh! and before I forget, I live on the coast. 

Date Posted: May 16 2005 at 18:44

I'm very much in favor of guns and dogs, and I'm landlocked. Guilty!

However, I was born on a coast and possess more than my share of irony- and I tend to stay as far away from churches as possible, except maybe to admire the architecture.

-------------

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 16 2005 at 19:08

Anyone pro-gun is a moron in my humble opinion.

However,given that James is obviously not a moron,I wonder at his pro-gun stance.Care to elabourate?

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: May 16 2005 at 22:32

I didn't answer because I'm totally conflicted ... my politics generally pits me against what most American governments want to do ... yet, I went to uni in Virginia, half the best friends of my teenage years are in America, my sister's married to an American.

Simplistically, America did save the Euro's butts from the Germans and our Asian butts from the Japanese so for that I am grateful, Gleam .. but what do you make of people who murdered the Indians (native Americans) for the land, worked it with the blood of African slaves, and allowed organizations like the KKK, the mafia and most dangerous of all, the CIA, to flourish alongside with the awesome American dream ... I do miss America, it's been more than a decade since I left ...

And on another note, James, amazing how many people are pro-gun ownership. Nothing to do with that murder capital of the world thing, eh? Guns don't kill people, people kill people, right?

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Date Posted: May 17 2005 at 00:12
Trotsky:

AllowED? You mean allow? The KKK, mafias, and the CIA all exist (although the CIA belongs in a different "bad organization" category). Of course, as you may guess, I dispise the groups, but honor their right to exist. Rights to assembley and free speech are vital to a functioning democracy, even if they permit groups such as these. In some ironic way, because their right to free speech is preserved so is mine. Plus, society at large will never allow these sorts of groups to dominate social life in the states.

BTW, I'm pro-gun. Its a matter of self-defense. Its also a matter of practicality. If a criminal wants a gun, he'll get it whether its illegal or not, so you may as well establish a system that allows the police the ability to track who is carrying weapons. I think the same should go for drugs. If people want them, they'll find a way to get them, whatever way that may be. Set up a system that allows its use to be tracked legally.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2005 at 02:38

Idealistically, I'm for guns because I don't believe the state has a right to prohibit its citizens from owning guns. I still don't believe it is reasonable to blame the hammer, no matter how many nails get bent (maybe a little more elegant a phrase than "guns don't kill people..."? ).

And on a practical level I don't want the only guns to be in the hands of other people (legally authorized or not). If the sh*t hits the fan, putting my loved ones at risk in some unforseen breakdown of security and/or society, I am comfortable with the operation of my firearms and justifiably proud of my aim. I am concerned about people who have never fired a gun...all that means is that they're a danger to everyone if they ever have to. If everyone respected guns instead of fearing them or worshipping them, they'd be a lot less perilous. 

And let's face it folks, the big fear didn't come down on us from crazies wielding guns, but from crazies with viruses, with letter bombs, with airplanes, with the desire to kill and a blindness to the suffering they would cause...denying them guns simply means they get creative.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2005 at 18:12

Trotsky,

Nice try, but do it someplace else. As far as the historical references go...

About the indian massacre's

* Custer had it coming...

The KKK

* I can't begin to understand some mens afinity for wearing bed sheets...

Slavery

* Suffice to say we are paying the price today and for years to come...   

The Mafia

* That's what we get for forcing prohibition down everyone's throat. If you want to make something popular, make it illegal. It bankrolled the mafia and now the drug cartels.

The CIA

* Highly over rated.

In reference to firearms, I think James Lee summed it up best.

Before I forget, you guys still caning people?

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: May 17 2005 at 22:23

Yup, Gleam, caning is still practised in Malaysia, and our politicians also practise the art of dismissing history with glib, inane one-liners ... I'm not fond of either concept in general ... I don't think the caning has helped reduce the rape/abuse crimes for which its use is probably most justified

Re: gun control ... as music and gun fans what did you guys make of that Judas Priest case? I remember I was barely into my teens, when some kids were listening to some music and blew the brains out ... and half of America was up in arms about the subliminal music ... and all the time I wuz thinking "my God, nobody even questions how those kids got access to guns" ... how subliminal was that ...

Malaysia has an interesting scenario with guns ... After the Japanese surrendered, the Brits came back, and the (almost wholly Chinese) Malayan Communists fled to the jungle to wage a guerilla war (killing two of my family members incidentally). As part of an attempt to control guns, it became a capital offence to own an unregistered firearm. This law dating back to the 1940s was never changed, and to date, I've never met a private Malaysian citizen who owns a gun. Of course, it probably hasn't worked because Malaysian cities are still topping murder per capita rates on a global scale ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:51
Wow, this thread seems like its turning into another politics thread. Really interesting isn't it?

Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:00

If George W. Bush is a typical American, then heaven help us! 

I like America - the geography, culture, the people I've come in contact with.  But I despise their current foreign policy; I think it reflects badly on how the rest of the world views the average American - which is the essence of this topic.  It's a shame how the actions of the few affects the perception of the masses.

Get rid of Bush and the neo-cons and more people will like America.

-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."

Date Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:05

George W. Bush is not a typical American. The typical American is well, Conservative, but not as Conservative as him or the many Neo-Conservatives in his Cabinet like Gonzales, Cheney or the ultra-warhawk Rumsfeld. America is not very well represented, folks because the government is MILES MILES more Conservative than the rest of the people.

Date Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:12

what country is properly represented by its government?  just look at Britain!  I believe both US and UK have the same "first past the post" electoral system.  until proportional representation is introduced (as if that will ever happen), we'll never have a truly representative government of the people.

politics sucks, thank god for music!

-------------

Posted By: maddog
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:13
Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

I cannot answer to this poll: I haven't personally met all the Americans.

I think there are a couple of Brasilians, four or five Canadians and maybe three Peruvians that don't even know I exist...

Do you know their names?Because, exactly the same amount of americans and one gold-digger in Alaska named Frank don't know notihng about me...anyway,i think it's something we can do about it, if they don't live i Amazon area...(if they do i am afraid it will be more difficult to reach them)

-------------
Vielleicht irrte sich der general-general-general

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:24
Well, Yanks, as a Canuck, I can say that we like you
and we don't...but you could say that about anyone.

Generalization is a bit pointless...some of my best
friends are American (honest!)

Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:30
My dog's an american, but I can't stop it sh1tting all over the floor.  Just as I am making progress in dividing up the kitchen and making peace with the new linoleum, he wanders in and cr*ps all over the kitchen.  Ends up taking all the best cookies too.

-------------

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 00:06

If all three of your dogs hit the windshield when you slam on the brakes you just might be a red neck uh I mean an American.

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Litl
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 12:18
Hmmm...  Being an American with a constant eye on human nature................

There is a gun shop down the street from me and on its sign outside it says:  Guns Save Lives.  That, I'm afraid, is a statement that is all too American right now: totally stupid but adhered to because of ideals that allow for such stupidity. (I can't think of a more clever or ornate word.)

Our conservative idealistic cadre of politicians got all in a huff recently over a case of a woman who was in a 'persistant vegetative state' and who the courts were going to allow to be taken off her feeding tubes and allowed to die.  They fumed over her right to live, talked of the 'culture of life' they represent, the sanctity of life, etc.  This same group of politicians are the ones who most fervently support the invasion of Iraq - which has claimed the lives of between 22,000 and 109,000 innocent Iraqi civilians (depending on which estimate you follow).

Mrs. Smith, who needs government assistance to raise her kids, is seen as a lazy pariah and leech sucking on the public dole.  Money from the same pot is freely and effusively handed out to multi-billion dollar corporations and this is seen as necessary.

I could go on with the contradictions but I won't.  We are a highly contradicted society.  Keep in mind though (and I have to constantly remind myself) the above represents only just over half of us.  (Unfortunately a voting majority.)  So if we are seen in  the world as militaristic, greedy, and blinded by idealism then I can't blame you for thinking so.  At the same time half of us truly care and put other things first before ignorant ideals and greed.

Pax

Posted By: Spanky
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 18:20
I voted obese, ignorant and blindly patriotic.  I also happen to be an American.

-------------
Coalinga knows how to party.

Posted By: Borealis
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 18:31

Voted for obese, ignorent and blindly patriotic. I live in Québec, just over the US (For the americans who doesn't knows it, there's a country over you called Canada, and Québec is the french part of it...) and even there, most people 'hate' americans, so imagine in Europe...

Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:11

Hey Borealis, that's not fair at all. I don't believe than in Québec "most people hate americans" (by "americans" I guess you mean people from the USA, I don't think you hate yourselves). I can tell you for sure that here in Europe very few people hate americans. We can be, and usually are, very critical with the USA Government politics; we can also be very critical with some moral standards in the USA (Fox news devoted much more time to a certain nipple than to prisoners tortured in Iraq), but we DON'T hate americans.

It's that kind of comments that make people in the USA overreact at the minor criticism; I would do the same if I was continuously receiving the message that people in other country hates us Spaniards...

So my fellow "american" prog lovers: we will continue on being critical with your government and sometimes with you, but you are loved here  

Come visit whenever you want: you'll be welcomed!

Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 02:03
I visited Hull over ten years ago, and I can attest that the Québécoise hated Americans before it became trendy.

-------------

Posted By: Borealis
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 20:36

Posted By: ita_prog_fan
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 04:58

I don't love'em and i don't hate'em

Sometimes they make great things... some other not.... so i do not vote

Actually i knew personally only 3 Americans and if you put them togheter you can easly obtain more than 400 kg... but saying the are, as a people, "obese, ignorant etc" is too much.

Must be said that they live in their own planet, in this regard they really are a "new Rome", sorrounded by billions of "barbarians" that, incredibly , don't want to become Americans !

Posted By: undefinability
Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 00:54

"obese, ignorant, blindly patriotic"

^ I agree with being obese and blindly patriotic, but I wouldn't be surprised many of the halfwits voting for ignorance are relying on the views of what our media deem us as, not what we really are. Not all of us are hicks, people, keep that in mind at all times.

-------------
"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">

Posted By: felixxx
Date Posted: May 30 2005 at 00:35
If I view the Americans from what they voted for president, and not only ones.........

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: May 30 2005 at 22:53
[QUOTE=nacho]

Hey Borealis, that's not fair at all. I don't believe than in Québec "most people hate americans" (by "americans" I guess you mean people from the USA, I don't think you hate yourselves).

/QUOTE]

The continent that Canada, the USA, and Mexico share is not simply called "America," but North America. Canadians and Mexicans do not call themselves "Americans." On this continent, that word describes people from the USA only -- it is a political, not a geographic, designation. I know that in Europe the word "American" is sometimes (erroneously) used to describe any citizen of North, Central, or South America, but around here, "American" NEVER means Canadian or Mexican.Stern Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: May 30 2005 at 23:13

As a Canadian, I naturally view Americans from above.Wink

Seriously though, I view them as individuals, and thus --as with people everywhere -- as a mixed bag, with much more variety than is implied here.Ermm

I certainly don't view an individual as being equal to a government.

(That being said, I hope that next time Americans elect a government that seriously values consensus-building and acting within the constraints of international law. I could wish that such a US government were much more environmentally-responsible, and less driven by big oil, the military/industrial complex, and the religious right, than the current administration.)Stern Smile

I believe that most Americans are basically decent (if a bit navel-gazing) and friendly, and that I have more in common with them than there is that which divides us.Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 03:59
I think the problem with many peoples' perception of Americans (certainly in the UK) is the huge amount of cheap lowest common denominator television programming purchased by the UK TV networks. In these, your average American is seen as being right wing, reactionary, obese, religiously intolerant etc, etc.

These traits are by no means exclusively American, and you have to see past the glitz & cheap glamours, and try to see Mr Average USA - just like us, except they talk funny

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 04:00

Why is that bloody quote thing not working? Anyway, Peter: "I know that in Europe the word "American" is sometimes (erroneously) used to describe any citizen of North, Central, or South America, but around here, "American" NEVER means Canadian or Mexican".

I guess that explains it. I'll try to be less touchy about it. I'm however still confused with your "erroneously" adverb: I think if I say that a Mexican is an American that's not erroneous, and that using American only for the States is a clear example of an erroneous term becoming admissible by habit...

But anyway I'd better not argue with you about English language matters

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 04:33
Tony R

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 2005 13 May at 7:02am | IP Logged Report Post http://www.progarchives.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=128469&TPN=2">Quote Tony R

I see Americans as much the same as all Western peoples at the mercy of rampant Capitalism.

We are thrown enough titbits from the master's table to keep us sweet and compliant.Meanwhile the "great and good" defecate all over the planet in our name.They make sure that enough of us want to sit at their table (even though there aren't any seats available) to maintain the status quo.

Yet the man in the street sings about the Land Of The Free.....

We are all blind,cowardly and ignorant and that is how "they" like it.

Unfortunately I agree with you Tony,most western countries had some great ideals in the beginning which have been perverted by pure greed. I just came back from a small european trip and the average European household is rather going well, still everybody is complaining how bad things are without realizing how lucky we are economically speaking compared to the rest of the world. 

For the question :  a country that had Frank Zappa as citizen has a reason to be proud!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 11 2005 at 16:16
what a stupid f**k*ng poll- if you answered this question- your a dumbass- like you can pin-point An american in a single poll- YOU MORONS

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 11 2005 at 21:21
What kind of a question is this? I find it rather insulting being an american. Look at the results. What the hell? I thought this was a music forum- that makes me think less of you other countures. Shame on you.

Date Posted: June 11 2005 at 22:15
^ Well an American asked the question. What shall we do, ignore him?

-------------

Posted By: Hierophant
Date Posted: June 11 2005 at 23:18
You fools who hate americans are just as ignorant as the people you hate. You are plagued by the same "blind patriotism" as we are. Last time I checked over half of america disagrees with the war and the president that no one elected. (and whose counterpart no one nominated)
Your media has given you these false impressions of Americans. They point the finger at us. While the real enemy (your government) goes unchecked. Our media does the same thing, - points its finger at the Europeans, all to keep us happily figting and arguing about the same godamn "issues" (socialism vs capitalism,whose greedy, whose this that, bleh bleh blah blah ) while they slide their unconstitutional legislation (patriot I, II etc.) under the table. Its all a method of control. And take a look at Tony Blair, this guy has been lying since day one (hes been on bush's d***) but you europeans are too "blindly patriotic" to do anything about it.

Posted By: Saucy
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 00:12
Right On Hierophant- The Finger pointing gets rather old. Most do look at the media for their views. Rather pathetic. I am damn proud to be an American, but it doesent mean that I blindly support every freking thing we do as a country. What a horrible question to ask in the 1st place.

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 15:32
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Anyone pro-gun is a moron in my humble opinion.

However,given that James is obviously not a moron,I wonder at his pro-gun stance.Care to elabourate?

You know your a bush lover if your caliber is higher than your I.Q.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 16:50

I've visited America twice and I always admired the open mindedness of the people I met there. And their social talents. I've crossed though the United States by bus, train and plane and only at one place I was on my own and nobody talked to me: Yosemite Park where there were only families who were on their own. The rest of my trip, people were constantly trying to communicate with me. I know reality is much more complex than that, that a lot of bad things happen in America just as well as in Europe, but my two visits to America were really a very good experience. So this time I want to be really subjective: 

Posted By: Dream Theater
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 15:56
I voted for option 4

-------------
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">

Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:55

I think you last election highlighted the fact that there are two America's, and that you have a very divided country...i

t would be difficult to give a tick in any of the boxes, because I know you aren't all Republican, Bible Belt, NRA Rednecks...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 19:13
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I think you last election highlighted the fact that there are two America's, and that you have a very divided country...i

t would be difficult to give a tick in any of the boxes, because I know you aren't all Republican, Bible Belt, NRA Rednecks...

Thank you for noticing that

Posted By: barbs
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 22:15

It would seem to me that most US citizens, like the others in the rest of the world, are at the mercy of their Governments (but we voted them in). Strange isn't it, that in the year 2005 after all those years of refining democratic principles and constitutions, after all the bloodshed and revolution, pain and suffering in the fight for 'rights', all the courageous and honourable lives lost through wars fought to uphold the 'freedoms' that we believe are the cornerstone of a 'true and liberated' society, we still haven't made it.

When a society (any society) can turn their backs on starving children and attrocities, as our societies in the west have been doing for years, you know that your societies are in trouble at their heart. Our societies are sick, ladies and gentlemen because we place greater emphasis on $$$$ and selfgratification than we do on compassion, mercy and justice. This is not just a US problem but a problem that has existed in man since the year dot. In 1980 when Africa was facing incredible drought and starvation there was enough grain in silos in the west to give every person 1000kgs each. Two bags each would have solved the problem.

Why wasn't it released??

IN NIGER right now, children are skin and bone. They are dying. The WORLDS governments were told about this looming crisis, six months ago and only now is there a response. WHY???   When we point the finger at someone else, the other 3 are pointing straight back at us. Place any other government in the world in the US position and find out how they would act. You may think differently and some would probably act more wisely and astutely with matters but there would be some who would make the US look like a sweet ol apple pie bakin grandma.

There are many things that the US could do better and should not have done at all, but the arguments I have been hearing are imbalanced. Have a look at China and try and find out how many people go missing there every week because they believe in (or are just suspected of) believing in something different to the 'power' in charge. Chances are you won't find out about it for week  or months because countries like that are not open to the scrutiny that others are. The reason the US and her people are bagged out so much is because it is, at least, a reasonably open society.

-------------
Eternity

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 07:27

Originally posted by barbs barbs wrote:

It would seem to me that most US citizens, like the others in the rest of the world, are at the mercy of their Governments (but we voted them in).

Yes barbs,

in our recent general election, the Labour Party received 36% of the vote and got in... being as only about 65% of the voting public turned out, that's significantly less than 1 in 4 voted for Tony Blair's return to office, and of those, at least 50% did so on the basis that he is going to stand down during this term... that's the 'power' of democracy for you...

-------------

Posted By: Frasse
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 18:13
I voted for god-fearing traditionalist dedicated to family and country.

As a Scandinavian I see USA as a VERY religious country.
While I think Sweden is the most secularised country in the world.

As I'm studying town planning, my opinion is that the american way of planning cities realy sucks, but my teachers points out Portland, OR, to be an example of good town planning.
Nowadays cities all over the world are being planned the american way.

The only point where I see america being worse than Europe is that most of the states of US practise death-sentence. I don't know if any countries in Europe practise that anymore.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 02:04
americans were cool before bush. now we suck because most of us voted for him. i hate him. ignorant republicans. if we had left the civil war be, we wouldn't have any of this voting trouble.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: nousommedusolei
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 02:49

Anyone notice that a "Bush supporter" seems to be more like a female undergarment?

Seriously, though. Right now, I'm not overly proud to be an American. I don't despise everything about this country, but a lot of things could be better. I'm from Oregon, a fairly liberal State, so you don't find many fascist neo-conservative pricks around. Therefore, it could also be worse.

-------------
I don't believe in demons
I don't believe in devils
I only believe in you

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 12:23

americans of smaller cities are quite welcoming

i see them as my cousins of the south

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: Vegetable_Man
Date Posted: August 12 2005 at 17:47
All of the above and more.  That's what makes America great and annoying at the same time.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk