Topic: Tarkus vs. Brain Salad Surgery
Posted By: Misomex777
Subject: Tarkus vs. Brain Salad Surgery
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:17
Tarkus vs. Brain Salad Surgery

Replies:
Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:19
Tarkus. To be honest, I think Brain Salad Surgery is one of the most overrated albums ever released.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:19
Tarkus, by the farthest of far.

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:21
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Tarkus. To be honest, I think Brain Salad Surgery is one of the most overrated albums ever released.

The opposite of everything you said...

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:25
BSS, not very much but still. Karn Evil 9 is my favourite ELP track and most of the others are very enjoyable as well.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:25
I'll have an order of the Brain Salad.

Of course the broiled Tarkus looks kind of good...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:27
Tarkus was a midnight snack in the dorm after lights out (deliciously forbidden and naughty for 1971)
Brain Salad Surgery was a 5 course banquet served under crystal chandeliers

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Tarkus was a midnight snack in the dorm after lights out (deliciously forbidden and naughty for 1971)

Well said! There's nothing to add!LOL

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:36
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

So...which one was better?  Tongue

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:36
In spite of all the flak the album gets for its second half, I find Tarkus somewhat more enjoyable than BSS. Moreover, the title-track is in my view the best thing the band ever released. 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:53
one word...

Toccata....  more than makes up for the weak 3rd Impression of BSS.  The first two Impressions however were total prog bliss..  love both albums..but gotta go with BSS.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 09:52

AgreeSmile

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 10:00

^ Agree with you there Micky about the third imp of karn Evil 9 being weak and true,Toccata is excellent. Not so mad on the rest of BSS though and preffer Tarkus overall, despite KE 9 1st and 2nd imps being my favourite ELP moment. That's not to say that Tarkus is perfect though, ELP could be a very frustrating band at times.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 10:29
Tarkus for me. 

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 14:12
If you consider the two in LP format, BSS was a masterpiece.  Artwork by HR Geiger.  It opened up differently than any other LP out.  Not to mention that Toccata made a huge impression on me when I first heard it.  It would be just a few years before I became a zombie prog pod person.  Tarkus ain't far behind BSS though, as are Trilogy and their debut. 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 14:59
I like all the impressions of Karn Evil 9, but I'm going with Tarkus because I like more material from it, and the second side is pretty strong actually, Are You Ready Eddy is the only lame song.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 15:17
Not a fan of either, but if I had to choose a song from both it had to be Tarkus.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 15:30

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 15:40
The Tarkus - suite is in my top 3 of songs of any band anytime.

But... as an album BSS wins. There's almost no weak spot to be found. So I choose BSS.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 15:41
To be honest, I think the song "Tarkus" is the most brilliant thing ELP has ever done.

"Karn Evil 9" is second...but because of that second impression, I tend to prefer Tarkus.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 16:21
Tarkus may play a starring role in my next Best O'Five poll.
Brain Salad Surgery is another Best O'Five: my fave of ELP, Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy and these two albums.

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 20:33
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

To be honest, I think the song "Tarkus" is the most brilliant thing ELP has ever done.

"Karn Evil 9" is second...but because of that second impression, I tend to prefer Tarkus.

really....   I'm curious... what didn't you like about the 2nd Impression...  I thought the 3rd was the weakest.. the 2nd was purely instrumental.. and great stuff  to my ears...  sort of hard to dislike that... and like ELP.. at least to me.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 20:49
I don't like the second impression either. I really can't get into ELP at all. The problem with the second impression is just that it's an instrumental section that gets the song NOWHERE, and is almost filler.

I know you asked why Robert thought that, but that's my opinion.

-Jeff

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 20:56
for what's it's worth... that is why as an 'epic'  I really rate BSS low.. much lower than Tarkus whose simplicity is it's greatest strength.   

musically though.. the first two impression were killer filler...  and as I like to say...  if I want a good story.. I read a book.. not listen to albums. Filler doesn't bother me...  I just want to be stimulated musically

and for me.. ELP is ear cocaine... but it isn't for everyone

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 20:57

I don't like the second impression either. I really can't get into ELP at all. The problem with the second impression is just that it's an instrumental section that gets the song NOWHERE, and is almost filler.

I know you asked why Robert thought that, but that's my opinion.

-Jeff

I also feel that the 2nd Impression is kind of filler. I mean, it goes nowhere for me, it doesn't have much to do with the 1st and 3rd Impression.

If this had been released by Return to Forever, this would have been killer.

However, I'm also not someone who can be considered a ELP fan.

Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 20:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

for what's it's worth... that is why as an 'epic'  I really rate BSS low.. much lower than Tarkus whose simplicity is it's greatest strength.   

musically though.. the first two impression were killer filler...  and as I like to say...  if I want a good story.. I read a book.. not listen to albums. Filler doesn't bother me...  I just want to be stimulated musically

and for me.. ELP is ear cocaine... but it isn't for everyone

The bolded and underlined are killer lines for a signature, unfortunately I'm not the indicated one to put that on my sig.

Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 21:05
crap... obviously I meant Karn Evil 9 the epic...  feeling this bottle of wine a bit this evening. hahha.

yeah...  that is a good signature... I might have to use that after the Del Potro ends Rafa's run tomorrow... or Monday hahahha.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 21:59
The 2nd impression has a very tenuous link if at all with the rest of Karn Evil 9 but at least it's fun compared to the rather predictable 3rd impression which ultimately takes too long to make its point.  Anyway, Tarkus (the epic) is just as much fun, maybe more, and a lot more focussed, so Tarkus by a long shot.  The rest of the songs don't really alter the equation much either way for me.  

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 22:13
I'm a pretty big ELP fan, I love Pictures, the S/t, Tarkus, and Trilogy.  But I hate Brain Salad Surgery, it's so hard to not laugh at.  It's so commercialized and cheesy.

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 22:25
Tarkus

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: September 12 2009 at 22:53
If ELP is ear cocaine then I am Maradona

Sort of a low blow but I had to do it. He is leaving us out of the World Cup you know...

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 03:45
BSS.

-------------

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 12:28

For me Brain Salad Surgery is a five star album while Tarkus is only a three star album. I think that every part of Karn Evil 9 is exactly where it should be and it is by far the best piece of music by ELP. Tarkus is also a good piece but I have never considered it on par with Karn Evil 9. The weak spots on the other side of Tarkus brings it down, Are You Ready Eddie? is possibly the worst ELP song ever.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 12:33
BSS. I have always liked it from day one.

Posted By: Mladen_Serbia
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 13:25
Tarkus is saved by the title track from being below average. BSS is more consistent, and even the shorter songs are good, but Karn Evil 9 is the heart of the album, of course.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

If ELP is ear cocaine then I am Maradona

Sort of a low blow but I had to do it. He is leaving us out of the World Cup you know...

"Ear Cocaine? Low blow?
Humour, it can be a difficult concept?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 14:40
I voted for Tarkus only because it's a rawer recording. BSS is more 'refined'. Gregy had more time to polish his production skills by 1973. If BSS had been done back in 1971 I think it would have had the raw edge the piece deserved. That being said, my favourite is really Trilogy (sans The Sheriff)

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 14:42
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I voted for Tarkus only because it's a rawer recording. BSS is more 'refined'. Gregy had more time to polish his production skills by 1973. If BSS had been done back in 1971 I think it would have had the raw edge the piece deserved. That being said, my favourite is really Trilogy (sans The Sheriff)

interesting view of the album Clap  not sure if I agree.. but a clappie for using your grey matter..

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 19:53
BSS has no weak moments.  Tarkus does.  BSS it is.

-------------

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: September 13 2009 at 23:06

Come on, just look at the album covers! A big, metal tanklike armadillo crusing menacingly past a pile of bones on a whimsically striped desert?

.......who needs H.R. Giger?

But seriously, Tarkus wins for me, although I must say I consider both albums to be pretty spotty.

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 14 2009 at 03:06
Tarkus is a really good album, I'd rate it 4 stars.  

BSS however is one of THE greatest prog albums of all, one of the very cornerstones of progressive music. It's pretty much flawless (BTB excepted) and is an automatic 5 star album.  I can't believe that any of Karn Evil 9 is considered as filler.  I'm astonished it's behind in this poll.

If someone had just arrived out of a 40 year coma and wanted to know what prog is all about, BSS would be one of the first albums I'd play for them, it's that important. 

Posted By: guitargods2009
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 21:06
Tarkus. Just that title track along is better than anything on BSS in my opinion. Angry

Posted By: SonicDeath10
Date Posted: September 27 2009 at 22:52
Originally posted by guitargods2009 guitargods2009 wrote:

Tarkus. Just that title track along is better than anything on BSS in my opinion. Angry
  I'd agree with this rather angry newbie. The title track is an incredible piece of music that, quite frankly, the band never even came near. The second side is quite strong in my opinion, and I, in fact, consider this album to be one of THE greatest prog rock albums ever instead of BSS. In fact, I think Karn Evil 9 is self parody: nothing on there they hadn't done better before. For me it's fun, as I do greatly enjoy the way the band interacts with each other, but it's very far below Tarkus. The first side, however, is incredibly strong. It's still Tarkus by a country mile, followed by the debut, Works Volume 2 (LOL seriously) then BSS, then Trilogy, then Pictures, and then Works Volume 1.

-------------
"Good evening hippies." Bobby Boy

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: September 28 2009 at 06:03
Originally posted by SonicDeath10 SonicDeath10 wrote:

Originally posted by guitargods2009 guitargods2009 wrote:

I'd agree with this rather angry newbie. The title track is an incredible piece of music that, quite frankly, the band never even came near. The second side is quite strong in my opinion, and I, in fact, consider this album to be one of THE greatest prog rock albums ever instead of BSS. In fact, I think Karn Evil 9 is self parody: nothing on there they hadn't done better before. For me it's fun, as I do greatly enjoy the way the band interacts with each other, but it's very far below Tarkus. The first side, however, is incredibly strong. It's still Tarkus by a country mile, followed by the debut, Works Volume 2 (LOL seriously) then BSS, then Trilogy, then Pictures, and then Works Volume 1.

First up, I am glad you appreciate both albums. However, for me BSS was the culmination of everything they had learned up to that point i.e. they had harnessed and perfected the existing technology of the day and pushed the envelope further than anything dreamed of in '73 with drum synths, polyphonic synths and production techniques (Tarkus sounds its age now IMO) Emerson's compositions display a greater maturity on BSS than Tarkus, with his thematic ideas all having a beginning, development and conclusion. He has admitted that as good as the ideas were on Tarkus, several of them were not explored or developed enough to his satisfaction. Furthermore, the oversights of both Tarkus and Trilogy where some of the material couldn't be replicated live, were addressed on BSS i.e. none of the music was committed to tape unless it could be reproduced faithfully in the live domain right down to the last cymbal stroke.

PS Why does everyone hate Benny the Bouncer ? It's a very witty and fun pastiche of UK music hall and comes across as a work of labyrinthine conceptual genius compared to Jeremy Bender are RU Ready Eddy ? Confused

BTW I agree that Works Volume 2 is a whole lot better than it's given credit for

-------------

Posted By: SonicDeath10
Date Posted: September 28 2009 at 09:48
A big thing for me is the lyrics: while I never really care for Greg's lyrics on Tarkus (sorta blandly poetic without any real imagery or insight) on Karn Evil 9, Sinfield comes in...and the lyrics are just as bad. The big thing is, the reason I can stomach Tarkus, is because on Karn Evil 9, Greg roars his lyrics and shoves them into your face in a way that you aren't supposed to ignore them. On Tarkus, it's a bit more laid back. So I can handle it better. I also feel that the melodies on Tarkus are stronger. While Keith developed the themes on Karn Evil 9 further, I think he develops them too much; the point where it feels like there are about three melodies on a half hour song. Not good.

However, you are right about the sound of the track. It's incredible. The sound is thick, the opening is incredible (I quite like the introduction, much more than the synth choir of Tarkus) and it is fast paced and entertaining to listen to the different synths, organs, bass, drum and guitar work. Greg shows off some under rated chops on this track.

I'm actually a big fan of the first half of the album. It's just because Karn Evil 9 doesn't work fully for me that I can't appreciate it as much as Tarkus.

-------------
"Good evening hippies." Bobby Boy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk