Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61476
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 07:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Moody Blues V Procol Harum
Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Subject: The Moody Blues V Procol Harum
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 12:34
For me I think Procol Harum just edge it. I love the quality of Gary Brooker's voice.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Replies:
Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 13:41
PH for me. MB should have retired years ago.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 14:03
Procal Harum with a 10 - 2 score! They've become one of my favourite bands recently!

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 14:17
Simply Procol Harum, no question

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

Procal Harum with a 10 - 2 score! They've become one of my favourite bands recently!

Yeah, I've only recently discovered the band.  I've always been aware of 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' and 'A Salty Dog' but that was pretty much it.  A couple of weeks ago I bought the double CD compilation, 'Secrets of the Hive' and am very impressed with most of the music.  The strong classical influences are often present, and, as I said before Gary Brooker's voice is always distinctive and tasteful. The band's work with orchestras is also well judged (as opposed to many other bombastic rock band/orchestra collaborations).

It's a shame that many of their classic albums are difficult to get hold of - unless you are a rich as Croesus.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: paulwalker71
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 15:35
Everyone so far who has posted has preferred Procol Harum, yet the Moody Blues are leading the poll Stern Smile

I've got to go with PH, I've never really got into the Moody Blues

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 17:46
I'll post a comment in favor of the Moody Blues.  Their lush arrangements, magnificent vocals, and overall good songwriting set them apart for me.  Justin Hayward is one of my favorite vocalists.  From Days of Future Passed to Seventh Sojourn are all classic four and five star albums, several of which have had a major influence on rock music.  This is not to say Procul Harum is bad or there is anything wrong with them, because there isn't.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:36
I love both but prefer Moodys.  Their 7 classic albums are a string that is hard to beat.  If Procol had built more off their debut album I would be more inclined to pick them, but most of what I've heard by them is uneven, and some of their orchestral work seems overly precious and grandiose, which makes the Moodys seem earthy by comparison.  Plus Moodys have much more vocal harmonies and acoustic guitar.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:52
PH is my  choice.  I've nothing against the Moodies, and in fact enjoy the classic 6 (I don't count Days).  But Procol's first three albums are simply in another league altogether.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:57
I like both bands but I'll go with MB for their "core 7" plus "Long Distance Voyager".

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 02:33
Procol Harum. Not by a distance, it's just that the Moody Blues sound a bit too sweet.

-------------

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 02:42

Procol are more diverse, edgier (WELL...at first at least. Now they're as safe as houses, or, as safe as the Moodies), more resonant, and better musicians (and before you argue that...Trower). 

The Harumsters are truly, in my opinion, an underrated band. Right up thar with Family. 

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: guitargods2009
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 04:15
The Moody Blues by a long shot.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 10:39
Moodies

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Kyle
Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 12:12
The Moody Blues. Looking at my avatar, you can see that I'm a fan, so call me biased...... but In the 3 years I've been on this site, I can swear the Moodies have been sl*gged a bit too much. The 'Core Seven' is unbelievably consistent. Seven great albums in five years time. "Days of Future Passed" is important and influential. The band does have a little album called  "TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN". This is their crowning achievement!! The flow of the entire album is unreal. The blistering guitar on "Higher and Higher"!! The spacy sounds in "Beyond"!! The best use to date of a mellotron on "Out and In"!! The pure drive in "Gypsy"!! The melancholic beauty in "Candle of Life"!! And for anyone who doesn't think the band could pull anything of the complex nature off, just listen closely to the closing minutes of "Eternity Road". An out of this world soundscape is what ensues! Bloody hell, I'm ranting. But really the Moodies are a great band, and even if they're not your cup of tea, at least listen to TOCCC, because "Days of Future Passed" it is not!!!!

Posted By: Black Dahlia
Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 22:54
PH, all the way.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 08:09
I like both bands a lot, but my vote goes for Procol Harum.

-------------

Posted By: b4usleep
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 08:22
Both doesn't work for me but if you put a gun to my head and force me to choose i'll go for Moody Blues

-------------
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:06
The Moodies were my mother's milk, music-wise.  The "big seven" albums are all fantastic and indispensable.   And as great as Procol is/was, I think the Moodies were more progressive as well.  Procol Harum wins in the edginess/lyrics department easily though.
Moody Blues it is.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 13:10
Since starting this thread, I have bought several albums by PH and the Moodies.  I now feel that Procol Harum are the superior band by a significant margin.  Shine on Brightly is one of my favourite albums of all time.  Also A Salty Dog, Grand Hotel and Exotic Birds and Fruit are truly great albums.  The only Moodies' album that ranks alongside these (in my opinion) is Seventh Sojourn.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 16:28
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Procol are more diverse, edgier (WELL...at first at least. Now they're as safe as houses, or, as safe as the Moodies), more resonant, and better musicians (and before you argue that...Trower). 

The Harumsters are truly, in my opinion, an underrated band. Right up thar with Family. 

I'm a fan of Procol Harum, but The Moodies are my favourites. Just to say about Mike Pinder... he was the test driver of Mellotrons at the small factory that produced them in the UK. He made modifications to the 'Tron that, combined with his musical ability, led to some groundbreaking use of  the instrument. Who do you think introduced The Beatles to the Mellotron? 

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: February 20 2010 at 10:31
Harum! I never cared for the Moody Blues.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 20 2010 at 10:42
The Procols for me

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: February 20 2010 at 13:11
Moody Blues definitely.  Procol Harum was way too inconsistent for me.  I think the Moody Blues absolutely crush Procol Harum in songwriting abilities, and I think they're better musicians.  Yeah, Trower has a lot of technical ability on guitar, but good guitarists are a dime a dozen, nobody writes like the Moodies.  And the Moodies had way more of an impact on almost all the music on this site than Harum ever will.

Posted By: ko
Date Posted: February 20 2010 at 14:13

Procol Harum

Posted By: Devonsidhe
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 01:57
The Moodys have been a top favorite since the beginning (well not Go Now but you know what I mean).  The five different songwriters blended better together than any other combination I have heard.  Their ways of looking at things through their songwriting without the loss of innocence from the era is what brought me in and their songsmithing is what kept me.  They could generate emotion more than any band I have heard.  They were the best at asking the question and get you to try and find your own answer.

-------------
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.

Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 03:02
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

I'm a fan of Procol Harum, but The Moodies are my favourites. Just to say about Mike Pinder... he was the test driver of Mellotrons at the small factory that produced them in the UK. He made modifications to the 'Tron that, combined with his musical ability, led to some groundbreaking use of  the instrument. Who do you think introduced The Beatles to the Mellotron? 

Dylan? It was an honest guess (if perhaps a poorly thought out one). 

I find no fault with the Moodies musicianship (particularly on Children's Children, where Graeme Edge really lets loose for a bit), I just think the Procolers were better overall. 

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 11:17
^ Rhetorical question of course... Donovan might have been a good shout  Wink

Just having some fun imagining Blonde On Blonde with Mellotron... heheh, not too shabby!

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 11:45
Moody Blues just to tie things up.

Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 01:37
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

^ Rhetorical question of course... Donovan might have been a good shout  Wink

Just having some fun imagining Blonde On Blonde with Mellotron... heheh, not too shabby!

Perhaps a MORE epic "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands?!?" It could work.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 04:39
I tied it up again by voting for Procol Harum. the Moody Blues have a slight tendency to go schmaltzy

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:33
"Procol are more diverse, edgier, more resonant and better musicians".

I could have written those words myself, Gosh, I wish I had.  

Posted By: tarkus1980
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:52

The Moodies, but I'm biased (they were my first favorite band).

-------------
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."

Posted By: DaysofFuturePassed
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 22:25
Ohh, this is hard, but (and you could probably guess from the username) I'm a loyal Moody.  Frankly, it's a hard decision, but I perfer the Moody Blues for their emphasis on the MUSIC over the Lyrics (not that PH doesn't do this, just not as often, imo. PH is a wittier band, I suppose).  Days of Future Passed changed my LIFE - but then again, I really haven't delved too much into PH (kinda young here) so hey, who knows, in a year, it may be different. :P

Posted By: squire4001
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 23:33
I can´t decide this time, because their vintage sound is great (both) no vote this time!

-------------
Prog´ everyday in every way of your life including music!

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 01:35
 If  P.H are Great , M.B are really Excellent !! 

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 06:53
How can you Not like a whiter shade of pale, over a Night in white Satin while you eat some new flaverd candy (Satly Dogs), IN A Grand Hotel

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 12:38
I don't really know The Moody Blues that well, and only quite recently (last year or so) re-discovered Procol Harum.  From what I know, definitely Procol Harum. I'm really not in a position to vote fairly, but I wonder what Moody Blues tracks rival this?

Posted By: CinemaZebra
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 12:40
The one that didn't release any Christmas albums.

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 13:02
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I tied it up again by voting for Procol Harum. the Moody Blues have a slight tendency to go schmaltzy

A quality Christmas song.LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: DreamInSong
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 13:51
Well I don't know , but I'd be willing to start listening now, just so I can come back to this poll and vote for The Moody Blues LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 14:00
Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

Well I don't know , but I'd be willing to start listening now, just so I can come back to this poll and vote for The Moody Blues LOL

I guess everybody knows this:

Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 14:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't really know The Moody Blues that well, and only quite recently (last year or so) re-discovered Procol Harum.  From what I know, definitely Procol Harum. I'm really not in a position to vote fairly, but I wonder what Moody Blues tracks rival this?

1968 In Search of the Lost Chord - has the eastern mystical, spoken word, questing feel through most of the album.

1981 Long Distance Voyager - has the three piece Thomas arc which starts out with the circus-type theme.

For the spoken word, Edge was one of the best for the humor.  If you haven't heard the following, give them an ear

1968- Departure (In Search of the Lost Chord)
1969- In the Beginning (Threshold of a Dream)
1969- Higher and Higher (To Our CHildren's Children's Children)

I personally like the Moodies better than Procol but this isn't offered with those sentiments.  Both bands are good but are just different flavors of the same prog apple.

-------------
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.

Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 14:21
Originally posted by Devonsidhe Devonsidhe wrote:

1968 In Search of the Lost Chord - has the eastern mystical, spoken word, questing feel through most of the album.

1981 Long Distance Voyager - has the three piece Thomas arc which starts out with the circus-type theme.

For the spoken word, Edge was one of the best for the humor.  If you haven't heard the following, give them an ear

1968- Departure (In Search of the Lost Chord)
1969- In the Beginning (Threshold of a Dream)
1969- Higher and Higher (To Our CHildren's Children's Children)

I personally like the Moodies better than Procol but this isn't offered with those sentiments.  Both bands are good but are just different flavors of the same prog apple.

Thanks. It's much appreciated.  I have heard In Search of the Lost Chord at least, but not for decades.  I'll look into all of those.

Posted By: DreamInSong
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 14:40
DCensored  you Logan! I actually like them! Now I have to give this poll some thought!Pinch

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 15:13

Thanks. It's much appreciated.  I have heard In Search of the Lost Chord at least, but not for decades.  I'll look into all of those.

You're welcome. Would love to hear what you think. BTW, thanks for the link to the Procol song.  Opposite, of you, it's the Harem I haven't heard as much of lol.  If you have any suggestions, feel free.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 15:36

very few songs can beat the grandness of the bridge in the song Hotel Grand on s/t album, with thos chellos and violas and choral singing mye goosbumps are not goosebumps anymore (more like ostridge bumps)

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 17:25

Yep!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Matthew T
Date Posted: August 15 2010 at 17:31
Moody Blues

-------------
Matt

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 04:00
I vote for Procol Harum. But The Moody Blues are cool too.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 05:34
That the Moodies would be called cool in 2014 is quite something. ;) Both are great bands with fine material. Having said that I seem to be making do with a couple of 2 CD compilations and a clutch of Procol ROIOs. Procol were very good in concert so I'll use that to be my decider.

Trivia note PH drummer BJ Wilson was nearly the drummer for Led Zeppelin but for his commitments to Procol Harum.

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 06:08
Moody Blues-I actually was into them briefly once in my life.All i know of PC is A Whiter Shade Of Pale & Conqwistador,very doubtful i spelled that correctly.....lol

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 06:14
I love them both. But Procol Harum gets my vote.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 11:48
Love them both but The Moodies get my vote.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 20:07

The Moody Blues

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 20:33
'Days of Future Past' is surely much more entertaining than any Procol Harum album I've heard, but Moody Blues' other albums left me quite disappointed.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 16:57
Procol Harum by a fair amount. They made more great albums and didn't just stick to the same format which I like. I also own double the amount of their works to the Moodies, and "Shine On Brightly" is one of the greatest, most underrated albums ever! Tongue

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 17:51
The Moodies were more emotional, Procol were more clever (certainly their lyrics were more substantive). I go with the Moodies because they were also more dynamic and overall had better melodies imo. Their sound was so lush too. Procol had great melodies too (and more non-trivial chords perhaps) but their sound was a bit stuffy in comparison... not to the point where it's a problem, but as I said, when comparing to the Moodies. The Moodies never wrote an epic though.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 21:59
The Moody Blues. I simply appreciate their total output in the 60s-early 70s more than Procol. And PH definitely lost an edge when Robin Trower split.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 22:57
The Moodys were great, sure, with their terrific, atmospheric storytelling but could come off as whiney from time to time. Procal Harum was just a great blend of early prog and rock much highlighted by the skills of a great lead singer. Less product than the former but very special in regards to this thread.

Posted By: notesworth
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 15:12
Both are great, but I picked Procol Harum.

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:00
I love both bands, but I do have a soft spot for Procol Harum, so...

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:08
Heh...this poll started back in 2009.
As for the choices, I honestly don't listen to either anymore. I guess my tastes have shifted over the years. I do remember listening quite a lot to 'A Question of Balance' back in high school though.
No vote from me.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: May 14 2014 at 03:35
Moodies for me. The first 7 albums are essential!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Lozlan
Date Posted: May 14 2014 at 20:38
Definitely Procol Harum for me, the first album, Home, and Broken Barricades in particular.

-------------
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

http://scottjcouturier.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 05:15
Love both but Moodies are more consistent in terms of quality albums  

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 08:33
Procol Harum by far

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 10:22
TMB

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk