Print Page | Close Window

To what extent are Muse considered 'prog'?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61510
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: To what extent are Muse considered 'prog'?
Posted By: paulwalker71
Subject: To what extent are Muse considered 'prog'?
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:51
There's not much in the forums about Muse and the archives have them as 'prog related'

But I notice that 'Classic Rock presents Prog' thinks that they are prog and featured them on the cover of Issue 2 earlier this year.

Anyway, I recently started listening to their latest 'The Resistance'. And I have to say that I absolutely love it. It's got a bit of bombastic 1970's style Queen and Rush, mixed in with modern rock sensibilities, and a fair amount of experimentation and variation. In a very real sense, this is 'progressive' music. I've not heard any of their other stuff yet (frankly, I'd tended to just write them off as typical Britpop nobodies, which I realise now was a bit misjudgement)

What's the views of you guys about Muse?

Replies:
Posted By: The T
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:04

In my view they were more original and interesting in the past. I don't think their style is more progressive now than it was in their previous albums, especially Absolution. The Resistance is the first MUSE album when I can't hear almost anything new. Or unique. They have become excellent craftsmen, but lesser artists.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:08
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

In my view they were more original and interesting in the past. I don't think their style is more progressive now than it was in their previous albums, especially Absolution. The Resistance is the first MUSE album when I can't hear almost anything new. Or unique. They have become excellent craftsmen, but lesser artists.  

Well, as I said, I've not heard any of their other stuff - it sounds like I have a treat in store Tongue

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:10
^Try it. One of the better bands of the last years, especially Absolution.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by paulwalker71 paulwalker71 wrote:

But I notice that 'Classic Rock presents Prog' thinks that

...prog only ever came from England and that England is cool for giving us prog and that gee golly where would prog be without England hay guise more England I've got a sh*tload more in my truck?

OK, but their new album is so  pretentious I can hardly stand it some times. More than Yes, Genesis, King Crimson...everyone.

edited out profanity, purely because the poster seems to think he's above the rules.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:19
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

OK, but their new album is so pretentious I can hardly stand it some times. More than Yes, Genesis, King Crimson...everyone.
[/QUOTE]

Pretentious but underachieving... Absolution was pretentious with its music, this one with its arrangements and production.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:49
I own Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations, and hardly ever listen to them. I can safely say that their  music does nothing for me - but not because they are pretentious or anything. After all, I love ELP, so 'pretentiousness' should not be a problem for me. I suppose it's just a question of personal taste, which, as you know, cannot be really explained.

As regards their being considered prog, I could not care less. As I have said over and over again, prog is not a hard science that can be defined in any exact way. I have recently seen a post in which the poster stated that he didn't consider Can prog. I am sure there have been people who have questioned the progginess of Yes, Genesis or King Crimson, as there have been prog bands or artists who have refused to be associated with the movement. So, I would not be surprised about the lack of a consensus about Muse.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:57
I'm not really a fan of their music but they do seem to fit here. I reckon they fit Xover.

Posted By: Courtesy Flush
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 13:47
I don't consider them to be prog, but they are a fantastic band regardless.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 13:56
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I own Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations, and hardly ever listen to them. I can safely say that their  music does nothing for me - but not because they are pretentious or anything. After all, I love ELP, so 'pretentiousness' should not be a problem for me. I suppose it's just a question of personal taste, which, as you know, cannot be really explained.
A while ago every word of this was true on my part. Then I listened to The Resistance from Spotify, zero expectations, and it pretty much blew my mind. On further listens I've lost quite a lot of that something that so stunned me on that first time, but that one surprisingly good spin got me rid of some locks I had in my mind concerning Muse. I've been listening to Absolution and BH&R again afterwards, and they have grown to be very good albums. I guess I used to have problems with their shiny and synthetic sound, but now I think it works very well for them. Tastes change.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 14:57
I hardly could consider them as prog band. I like them a lot , but I was tired of them being played so much in radio stations back in 2006 (Black Holes etc). I think prog related fits good in their case.
Resistance ? I don't think this is  a prog album at any extension of the word.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:05
One third of The Resistance is most certainly Prog, the rest is proggy-ish. It's a difficult call, I mean Wondrous Stories, Going For The One and Turn Of The Century are hardly Prog but they're on a Prog album with one of the greatest Prog Rock tracks ever...Big smile

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:14
"Turn of the Century" is so prog.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:15
They are very original, combining prog with pure "pop", and the overall result is somewhere in the middle. Kind of like STYX, they have some very prog songs, but still have pop elements. Their earlier stuff is their most proggish, but I don't have The Resistance yet.

-Jeff

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:16
I know you will hate me for this, but... Is it really so important to know if they are prog or notConfused? They're on the site anyway, so those who like them can review them to their heart's content. 

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:21
^^^
Then yes, that's a very strong point of view Smile

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

"Turn of the Century" is so prog.

'Going for the One'  is SO prog! Big smile 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:32
Typical grungy nobides.

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:32
YES is Sooooo prog!  Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I know you will hate me for this, but... Is it really so important to know if they are prog or notConfused? They're on the site anyway, so those who like them can review them to their heart's content. 

Speaking as the thread starter, no its not important. In fact I wish I'd called the thread 'What do people think about Muse?' 

It's a pity its getting focussed on whether they are or aren't prog. I'm more interested in peoples opinions of them as a band. I'm currently streaming 'Absolution' from Spotify - and its very good

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

They are very original, combining prog with pure "pop", and the overall result is somewhere in the middle. Kind of like STYX, they have some very prog songs, but still have pop elements. Their earlier stuff is their most proggish, but I don't have The Resistance yet.

-Jeff

Jeff, just a heads up....

Real men never, ever, ever, ever, ever mention Styx.... Tongue

PS, anyone who tells you I saw them live back in the day is a goddam liar OK? Angry

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:56
I enjoy listening to Muse for about 5-10mins and then I just can't handle any more BOMBASTIC stuff and I long for something different so I've never bought any albums by them.  (However, that 5mins is fun while it lasts!!!)

Big smile

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:59
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I enjoy listening to Muse for about 5-10mins and then I just can't handle any more BOMBASTIC stuff and I long for something different so I've never bought any albums by them.  (However, that 5mins is fun while it lasts!!!)

Big smile

They are a bit in-yer-face samey-samey.

Date Posted: September 24 2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Big smile

They are a bit in-yer-face samey-samey.

EXACTLY!!  LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 07:22
Good band. I've yet to hear The Resistance, but I have 'Black Holes..' and 'Absolution' and from them, I think the 'prog related' tag fits ok.

They can be a bit 'samey' and they could be carving out a signature sound that may be hard to 'progress' from. That said, Radiohead did it, so it all depends on whether or not they have the creative scope to evolve.

As far as I'm aware the 'prog' tag is not something Muse recognise in themselves, but neither is it one they are horrified by.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 19:24
I have been following Muse from their early days and imo their music has evolved - gone from strength to strength - with each new offering. As a band I think they are very talented and have found wide appeal. I never expected much from "The Resistance", however, it has proved to be a refreshing listen as compared to the rather "bland" offerings of some bands of late. Yes - there is some sameness about the style that can be found on earlier albums, but to me, they have progressed, whether they or any one else thinks so! Wink

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 20:56
With at least 5 different styles of music on The Resistance I can't see how they can be called samey. Confused

-------------
What?

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 23:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

With at least 5 different styles of music on The Resistance I can't see how they can be called samey. Confused
Perhaps I should clarify myself and say that there can be no doubt that we are listening to a Muse album. I don't know whether that is to do with style, concept or what, but there are elements in The Resistance that hark back to Black Holes.. and Absolution. I agree that there are at least 5 different styles present which some critics would say makes this album ambiguous. But I think that the album comes together very well. I am not a Muse Fan Person, but I am impressed with this outing!

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: September 27 2009 at 02:56

There's not much in the forums about Muse and the archives have them as 'prog related'

But I notice that 'Classic Rock presents Prog' thinks that they are prog and featured them on the cover of Issue 2 earlier this year.

several years ago Prog was a four-letter word, most bands would expect to face commercial failure after  even hinting they were even remotely connected with Prog, now all sorts of bands and publications are jumping on the bandwagon for some reason because a small section of the masses are recognizing quality  music that they have to concentrate on to appreciate, now all the magazines are selling copies with Prog specials including all sorts of odd bands.

Muse are an excellent rock band and will go on to be a great rock band but i can't see why they are even  in Prog related - related to what Prog?  Confused

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Date Posted: September 27 2009 at 04:50
Watching the HAARP DVD now and many songs share a similar structure and intensity. Now you could say that of many bands but because Bellamy's voice is unique (and a little odd) this inevitably adds to the perception of the songs being "samey".

Well, I know what I mean, even if I can't convey it very well...

Date Posted: September 27 2009 at 05:25

Having read Penny's post I now know what you mean - perhaps that's a limitation of the power trio format (though studio overdubs and live backing tracks kind of negate that). I can forgive a band whose sameiness is caused by there own identity overriding the style of music they are playing, as opposed to the plethora of bands whose sameiness of style overrides whatever identity they may have.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Good band. I've yet to hear The Resistance, but I have 'Black Holes..' and 'Absolution' and from them, I think the 'prog related' tag fits ok.

They can be a bit 'samey' and they could be carving out a signature sound that may be hard to 'progress' from. That said, Radiohead did it, so it all depends on whether or not they have the creative scope to evolve.

As far as I'm aware the 'prog' tag is not something Muse recognise in themselves, but neither is it one they are horrified by.

Hi. I'm quite a Muse fan so I'll give my thoughts. Big smile

In a Prog interview it seemed to me that Chris and Dom were much more into traditional progressive music such as Floyd/Genesis and Dom is very fond of the Mars Volta. The band have also said that the 70s prog records in general were the best produced. I think they are influenced just as much by Radiohead and Nirvana though.

Matt is of course the member of the band where all the creativity comes from but I think he's into progressive/ambitious music in a much less obvious sense. He has a love of classical/romantic period music, particularly the piano stuff, and samples/is influenced by Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Beethoven regularly. And of course he loves Queen.

So combine the bombastic pop of Queen with the symphonic classical music he listens to and you get a very OTT, pretentious prog sounding guy even if it isn't intended. LOL

IMO, if Muse are a specific kind of prog, as I said in another thread, it's the sub-genre that the media are starting to call New Prog. In that they are an alternative rock band with progressive features to their music. I'd categorise bands like Oceansize, Amplifier and Pure Reason Revolution here as well even though they're not a well known.

I'm quite young and New Prog is the sort of music that has gotten me into progressive music. I've sort of worked backwards from today.  Yes, they have poppier songs too (some of them very good, some of them cack) but they also push the envelope when it comes to what mainstream bands do. You could even put part of their new album in 'symphonic prog' but again, that's only a part of their music.

The day they do a big feck-off symphony/prog-tacular record is the day I'll be very happy.

-------------
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 12:05
Originally posted by Citizen Erased Citizen Erased wrote:

In a Prog interview it seemed to me that Chris and Dom were much more into traditional progressive music such as Floyd/Genesis
I read an interview which specifically dealt with their relationship with prog, and in it they pretty much said that their knowledge of vintage prog begins and ends with Dark Side of the Moon and Selling England by the Pound which Chris bought for his mother and listened to once Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 12:07
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

In a Prog interview it seemed to me that Chris and Dom were much more into traditional progressive music such as Floyd/Genesis
I read an interview which specifically dealt with their relationship with prog, and in it they pretty much said that their knowledge of vintage prog begins and ends with Dark Side of the Moon and Selling England by the Pound which Chris bought for his mother and listened to once Tongue

I read that too but there's another interview I read with some specific prog magazine, can't remember its name, and Chris and Dom both said they were very into Floyd and that Chris liked Lamb Lies Down. Although this was like Absolution era so they may have been lying/forgotten. LOL

Still, Matt is absolutely clueless on prog. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 07:32

Hi. I'm quite a Muse fan so I'll give my thoughts. Big smileIn a Prog interview it seemed to me that Chris and Dom were much more into traditional progressive music such as Floyd/Genesis and Dom is very fond of the Mars Volta. The band have also said that the 70s prog records in general were the best produced. I think they are influenced just as much by Radiohead and Nirvana though. Matt is of course the member of the band where all the creativity comes from but I think he's into progressive/ambitious music in a much less obvious sense. He has a love of classical/romantic period music, particularly the piano stuff, and samples/is influenced by Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Beethoven regularly. And of course he loves Queen.So combine the bombastic pop of Queen with the symphonic classical music he listens to and you get a very OTT, pretentious prog sounding guy even if it isn't intended. LOLIMO, if Muse are a specific kind of prog, as I said in another thread, it's the sub-genre that the media are starting to call New Prog. In that they are an alternative rock band with progressive features to their music. I'd categorise bands like Oceansize, Amplifier and Pure Reason Revolution here as well even though they're not a well known.I'm quite young and New Prog is the sort of music that has gotten me into progressive music. I've sort of worked backwards from today.  Yes, they have poppier songs too (some of them very good, some of them cack) but they also push the envelope when it comes to what mainstream bands do. You could even put part of their new album in 'symphonic prog' but again, that's only a part of their music.The day they do a big feck-off symphony/prog-tacular record is the day I'll be very happy.

I've not heard the term 'New prog' but then I dont really pay much attention to music media, but it's got to be a healthy thing. I'm going to buy 'The Resistence' this week an give it a go. I've been listening to 'Absolution' and 'B;ack holes...' this weekend, to get into a 'Muse mood'

Late last night on BBC radio 4, they were talking about recent releases on some show, and they had a Russian music journalist as a guest. She said she loved the Muse album, saying it was powerful, imaginative, and that Russia had really taken to Muse. The BBC spod then said (and I paraphrase) 'lets be honest. I've been reading the lyrics, and this is just bombastic pretentious nonesense isn't it? It harks back to the days of awful prog rock in the 70's. Do we really want to go back there?' To which she replied 'If you're asking do we to see a return to innovative imaginative music in the mainstream, then yes. I cant think of a reason why we wouldn't'

She had the last word, anyway, and made the presenter look like a complete d!ck..

Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 11:52
"new prog" and been kicking around for a while now Andy, and seems to be applied to any band who makes albums that sound complicated or symphonic. Aside from the bands we've already got here, like The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Oceansize, Pure Reason Revolution, Dillenger Escape Plan, Mercury Rev and The Secret Machines I've also seen it applied to Mew, Doves, Elbow, The Flaming Lips and even Coldplay - so it's a broad term with no central core and perhaps just a touch of journalistic laziness.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 12:08
I've linked to this several times, but I find this quite useful for giving a feel for New Prog (also called Nu Prog and can be synonymous with "Post Prog" and commonly used for Alt. Prog....): http://rateyourmusic.com/list/WiiAreRabbid/new_prog__progressive_rock_with_a_modern_twist/ - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/WiiAreRabbid/new_prog__progressive_rock_with_a_modern_twist/ (with list):

Quote ...New Prog is not to be confused with 80s Neo-Prog, which is strongly influenced by Symphonic Rock. New Prog is a relatively new sub-genre of Progressive Rock, which combines elements of traditional Progressive Rock with more recent styles of music such as Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore, and Post-Rock...

And another from a user at rateyourmusic that has a list: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/new_prog_umbrella - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/new_prog_umbrella

EDIT: I find it quite good as a general descriptor, and those who would apply it to "any band who makes albums that sound complicated or symphonic" don't understand the term (not that I've found any that would apply it that way).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 12:25

Late last night on BBC radio 4, they were talking about recent releases on some show, and they had a Russian music journalist as a guest. She said she loved the Muse album, saying it was powerful, imaginative, and that Russia had really taken to Muse. The BBC spod then said (and I paraphrase) 'lets be honest. I've been reading the lyrics, and this is just bombastic pretentious nonesense isn't it? It harks back to the days of awful prog rock in the 70's. Do we really want to go back there?' To which she replied 'If you're asking do we to see a return to innovative imaginative music in the mainstream, then yes. I cant think of a reason why we wouldn't'

She had the last word, anyway, and made the presenter look like a complete d!ck..
A round of clappies for her Clap

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 13:02

"new prog" and been kicking around for a while now Andy, and seems to be applied to any band who makes albums that sound complicated or symphonic. Aside from the bands we've already got here, like The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Oceansize, Pure Reason Revolution, Dillenger Escape Plan, Mercury Rev and The Secret Machines I've also seen it applied to Mew, Doves, Elbow, The Flaming Lips and even Coldplay - so it's a broad term with no central core and perhaps just a touch of journalistic laziness.

Mmmm, where have I been?? I still thought the term prog was a dirty word in mainstream music media.

Off topic..but Elbow come close to deserving that tag. Much of their stuff is quite proggy. There's one track on 'Leaders of the free world' called 'Picky Bugger' which has Peter Gabriel written all over it. Guy Garvey is, by all accounts a big Genesis fan.

Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've linked to this several times, but I find this quite useful for giving a feel for New Prog (also called Nu Prog and can be synonymous with "Post Prog" and commonly used for Alt. Prog....): http://rateyourmusic.com/list/WiiAreRabbid/new_prog__progressive_rock_with_a_modern_twist/ - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/WiiAreRabbid/new_prog__progressive_rock_with_a_modern_twist/ (with list):

Quote ...New Prog is not to be confused with 80s Neo-Prog, which is strongly influenced by Symphonic Rock. New Prog is a relatively new sub-genre of Progressive Rock, which combines elements of traditional Progressive Rock with more recent styles of music such as Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore, and Post-Rock...

And another from a user at rateyourmusic that has a list: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/new_prog_umbrella - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/new_prog_umbrella

EDIT: I find it quite good as a general descriptor, and those who would apply it to "any band who makes albums that sound complicated or symphonic" don't understand the term (not that I've found any that would apply it that way).

Ah yes. Some of my favourite artists are on there.

I know SoundscapeMN from the PT board but never knew he had a RYM account.

-------------

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: October 04 2009 at 20:27

Mmmm, where have I been?? I still thought the term prog was a dirty word in mainstream music media.

Off topic..but Elbow come close to deserving that tag. Much of their stuff is quite proggy. There's one track on 'Leaders of the free world' called 'Picky Bugger' which has Peter Gabriel written all over it. Guy Garvey is, by all accounts a big Genesis fan.

Yeah I agree with Elbow.But if they were to be mentioned for addition I would hide in a dark corner.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 04:55
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Yeah I agree with Elbow.But if they were to be mentioned for addition I would hide in a dark corner.

Indeed, they're not a prog rock band, but in reality they are no less or more proggy than numerous artists we have listed under 'prog related' but that's a discussion for another day...and probably not one I can be arsed to take part in to be honest...

Posted By: DocJ
Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 07:20

Matt is of course the member of the band where all the creativity comes from but I think he's into progressive/ambitious music in a much less obvious sense. He has a love of classical/romantic period music, particularly the piano stuff, and samples/is influenced by Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Beethoven regularly. And of course he loves Queen.

So combine the bombastic pop of Queen with the symphonic classical music he listens to and you get a very OTT, pretentious prog sounding guy even if it isn't intended. LOL

IMO, if Muse are a specific kind of prog, as I said in another thread, it's the sub-genre that the media are starting to call New Prog.

I'm quite young and New Prog is the sort of music that has gotten me into progressive music. I've sort of worked backwards from today.  Yes, they have poppier songs too (some of them very good, some of them cack) but they also push the envelope when it comes to what mainstream bands do. You could even put part of their new album in 'symphonic prog' but again, that's only a part of their music.

The day they do a big feck-off symphony/prog-tacular record is the day I'll be very happy.
I agree.  I think you successfully explained the reasons many of us enjoy Muse's music.

I think the entire new recording is very interesting.  It is one of my favorite albums of 2009.

poppier songs? Smile

Posted By: Courtesy Flush
Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 17:19
I saw Muse open for U2 in Dallas last night and Muse really stole the show. U2 was good and they were great performers, but their setlist left much to be desired. They played way too much new material and at times it completely bored me.

Muse was fantastic though. My only complaint is that it was a short set (which can be expected for an opening band). My favorite of the night was probably when they played "Undisclosed Desires" because they played it a bit differently than the album version and I loved the way it was played live. It was more chill. 

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: October 14 2009 at 22:25
Well, today is literally the first day I've listened to Muse. Just borrowed The Resistance from a chum. I must say, my first thought was "Queen". Definitely some heavy Queen influence here, which is not surprising when you think about it. As far as I can tell, Muse is the 21st century Queen: a nice mix of rock, pop, and ambition. The phrase that leapt to my mind was "ambitious power pop". Not sure how accurate that is, however.

The Resistance, as of Day One, is very hit and miss. I'm finding some things about their sound I loathe, and other things I applaud. I think they're definitely progressive, but in a vague and not-so-extreme way.

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Date Posted: October 21 2009 at 10:39
I'd definitely not label Muse power-pop.

Still, they're albums are all different. You need to hear their other records to really judge them properly. Absolution for example is a completely different sounding record - much heavier and there's a lot of riffs - it'll probably rid your perception of powerpop.

-------------

Posted By: SilverEclipse
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 22:13
Well, I don't care that Muse has pop influences nor do I think that should be an argument against their "proggy-ness".  A ton of classic Yes and Floyd were over-produced, complex pop songs, so that argument goes out the window in my mind. 

I love Muse to death, I really do.  The word "same-y" does come to mind with them, I agree, but I really think it's just their style.  Who cares, though, because it's a freaking amazing style. These guys are the current masters of atmospheric rock.  The music rocks pretty hard, it's extremely accessable while pushing boundaries at the same time, they incorporate a ton of influences and styles, and not to mention some of those spacey synth sequences are gorgeous beyond words. 

Are they prog?  Well, I label them as "alternative" in my iTunes...so there's my answer.  They've definitely done some prog tunes (Unnatural Selection off The Resistance is pure prog rock, no doubt) and some others can sound proggy, but most of their songs don't push the verse-chorus format and even "Exogenesis" is more of a pure classical piece. 

Prog-related fits them fine.  They're a great alternative/pop rock band with some strong prog flavor, but their music is not inherently progressive.  I'm not going to insist and argue upon Muse getting into Crossover Prog like I did with Coheed And Cambria. 

-------------
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: November 11 2009 at 09:38
Absolution is a fine good album with prog moments.

-------------

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: November 20 2009 at 11:10
They've definitely got the prog attitude. They were invited to perform on an Italian show but they were told to mime the performance to a recording of the song. Of course, as any self-respecting musician would be, they were slightly peeved. As retaliation, all the members switched what instruments they "played."I think it turned out pretty well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 02:58
I'm pretty much a Muse fanatic, and I also love a reasonable amount of prog (hopefully more soon, please see my thread in recommendations?). So it's hard for me to judge how prog Muse are, when I've moved onto prog afterwards, but it's interesting to see what you all write.

Anyway, I tend to agree that they're alternative rock with progeressive elements. It's mostly the genre-changing and epic/bombasticness that does it. Anyway, here are tracks that I consider more progressive, if you don't know Muse that well listen on Youtube or something and say what you think.

Space Dementia (Origin of Symmetry) Uses not only a classical piano cadenza at the start, but a classical chord progression too (part of which is ripped off of Rach II). Also has a lighter, synthy chorus and chaotic end.

Citizen Erased (Origin of Symmetry): Has an unusual structure, between heavy and riffy sections to light ones. Often considered a classic.
Most Origin of Symmetry songs have complex lyrics.

Butterflies and Hurricanes (Absolution): Unusual structure- interesting verse chord progression, with strings, and a massive classical (Rachmaninoff-inspired) piano solo.
Absolution in general has a progressive feel, being a semi-concept album.

Hoodoo (Black Holes & Revelations): Soft flamenco guitar into heavy middle section with piano and strings.

Knights of Cydonia (Black Holes): Unusual structure, heavy use of synthesizer, etc.

United States of Eurasia (The Resistance): Big changes of feel, from soft to heavy, Queen vocal harmonies, classical piano solo.

Unnatural Selection (The Resistance): Very rocky but with a calm middle section (different time sig) with a jazzy electric organ. (Also look up the 5.1 version on youtube- it has an extended Queen-like intro)

Exogenesis (The Resistance): A 3-part symphony with use of orchestra, timpani, gong, unusual structure, change from light to heavy texture, tells an emotional futuristic/scifi story.

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 03:19

My favorite thing about Muse is their absolute shamelessness. 

Radiohead considered naming Hail to the Thief "The Gloaming," but decided not to, considering that it would be too "prog rock." 

The Decemberists' Colin Meloy apologized for The Crane wife getting a little "prog rock." 

For a while (it's probably changed by now), The Mars Volta shunned the moniker "prog rock" on their albums. 

Muse, even if they were usually much less proggy than those bands, has always stomped around with the word PROG ROCK labeled on everything in huge, Sesame Street letters. And for that, I think, they deserve a little recognition. 

Oh, and, Matthew Bellamy is an underrated guitarist. Indeed. 

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 03:21
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

They've definitely got the prog attitude. They were invited to perform on an Italian show but they were told to mime the performance to a recording of the song. Of course, as any self-respecting musician would be, they were slightly peeved. As retaliation, all the members switched what instruments they "played."I think it turned out pretty well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ

Oh, and, this is hilarious. 

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 03:27
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

I'm pretty much a Muse fanatic, and I also love a reasonable amount of prog (hopefully more soon, please see my thread in recommendations?). So it's hard for me to judge how prog Muse are, when I've moved onto prog afterwards, but it's interesting to see what you all write.

Anyway, I tend to agree that they're alternative rock with progeressive elements. It's mostly the genre-changing and epic/bombasticness that does it. Anyway, here are tracks that I consider more progressive, if you don't know Muse that well listen on Youtube or something and say what you think.

Space Dementia (Origin of Symmetry) Uses not only a classical piano cadenza at the start, but a classical chord progression too (part of which is ripped off of Rach II). Also has a lighter, synthy chorus and chaotic end.

Citizen Erased (Origin of Symmetry): Has an unusual structure, between heavy and riffy sections to light ones. Often considered a classic.

Butterflies and Hurricanes (Absolution): Unusual structure- interesting verse chord progression, with strings, and a massive classical (Rachmaninoff-inspired) piano solo.

Hoodoo (Black Holes & Revelations): Soft flamenco guitar into heavy middle section with piano and strings.

Knights of Cydonia (Black Holes): Unusual structure, heavy use of synthesizer, etc.

United States of Eurasia (The Resistance): Big changes of feel, from soft to heavy, Queen vocal harmonies, classical piano solo.

Unnatural Selection (The Resistance): Very rocky but with a calm middle section (different time sig) with a jazzy electric organ. (Also look up the 5.1 version on youtube- it has an extended Queen-like intro)

Exogenesis (The Resistance): A 3-part symphony with use of orchestra, timpani, gong, unusual structure, change from light to heavy texture, tells an emotional futuristic/scifi story.

Is that enough songs from five albums worth of material to call them prog? Probably not to be honest.

The last album primarily being a indie/pop album really didn't help either.

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 14:10
As I had said earlier, I don't think they're prog, but prog-related. However, I also said that these are some of their more progressive, not that their other songs don't have progressive elements.

Did you actually go and listen to them?

Posted By: DocJ
Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 15:34

Hey Kazza,

You posted a damn good review of a few Muse songs.

I am also a Muse fan, and I could care less what category some people seek to classify them. Please post any other opinions that you have.

It is well known to anyone that attended college that music sounds waves are translated into neurons that travel to the brain through some 35,000 auditory nerves from each ear.

It is obvious to me that some people just do not have the intellectual capacity to process this amount of auditory neurons into their brain.  They look something like this:

Date Posted: November 29 2009 at 23:19
Originally posted by DocJ DocJ wrote:

Hey Kazza,

You posted a damn good review of a few Muse songs.

I am also a Muse fan, and I could care less what category some people seek to classify them. Please post any other opinions that you have.

It is well known to anyone that attended college that music sounds waves are translated into neurons that travel to the brain through some 35,000 auditory nerves from each ear.

It is obvious to me that some people just do not have the intellectual capacity to process this amount of auditory neurons into their brain.  They look something like this:

It's excellent to see more Muse fans on here. I don't think the reviews were that good- just a few points. I'm also flattered that you'd like to see more of my opinion, but about which part of Muse in particular? It's a bit vague. (I haven't done any proper reviews on PA yet, I should)

Date Posted: November 30 2009 at 16:07
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Is that enough songs from five albums worth of material to call them prog? Probably not to be honest.

The last album primarily being a indie/pop album really didn't help either.

Indie Pop? With a three party symphony at the end of it?

Muse have always been the alternative to all these British indie mainstream bands. The day Muse go "Indie" is the day I stop listening to them.

No, Muse aren't a full blown prog band in the traditional sense of the word but I can think of even more progressive examples in Muse songs added onto what Kazza said:

Micro Cuts - Classically influenced riff, that slides through small time signature changes very nicely, before Matt's operatic, OTT chorus erupts. Progressive music is about pushing boundries and testing instruments to their limits - Matt does this with his voice.

MK Ultra - Only 4 minutes long but it definitely fits in more than some of their 6 minute tracks. It has an orchestral-esque bit not long after the first chorus that then bursts into a bridge that isn't heard again in the song. The 'chorus' also seems to be split into two and alters regularly. Very unpredictable song.

The Gallery - The difference between experimental and progressive isn't clearly defined but this track is definitely the former. Distorted drums, swirling synths and no real structure involved.

Forced In - Again, a real lack of structure - more like an extended jam session.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2009 at 18:06
Yeah, those songs are more of the best examples.

Posted By: Nakatira
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 10:26
It gets to poppy for me.

I absolutely hate the vox.

Newborn and stockholm syndrome and a few more are great songs though

-------------
http://daccord-music.com/home.cfm

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:04
I suppose much of your enjoyment of Muse depend on whether you like pop music. 

I like pop music. Not exclusively, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Muse are that happy medium where they have pop choruses and singalong riffs whilst still experimenting beyond the measures that pop allows. There are prog bands that I just can't get into because there's no melody/structure to the music at all - I like choruses every now and then.

-------------

Posted By: AnchovyRun
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 15:44
Originally posted by inrainbows inrainbows wrote:

YES is Sooooo prog!  Embarrassed
Your MUM is soooo prog!

-------------
   <>< The Anchovy Run ><>
------------------------------
Caravaning For Your Convenience

Date Posted: December 17 2009 at 18:52

As I had said earlier, I don't think they're prog, but prog-related. However, I also said that these are some of their more progressive, not that their other songs don't have progressive elements.

I was a big Muse fan in highschool.I've heard everything before.

-------------

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 09:49
I have not been into this band for too long, but listening to albums like Absolution or Black Holes & Revelation it really feel like a prog band to me, but I haven't overanalyzed their music.

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Date Posted: December 23 2009 at 09:38
I should also just point out, as a lot of people are mentioning their last 3 albums, that the general consensus on Muse forums/fansites is that Origin of Symmetry is their best record.

I thoroughly advise you to check that album out. Showbiz too but only to an extent (it sounds a little amateur and isn't remotely progressive).

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2009 at 17:42

I should also just point out, as a lot of people are mentioning their last 3 albums, that the general consensus on Muse forums/fansites is that Origin of Symmetry is their best record.I thoroughly advise you to check that album out. Showbiz too but only to an extent (it sounds a little amateur and isn't remotely progressive).

Definitely, Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are condsidered their best albums by the majority of fans. D

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 09:14
've only listened to Origin of Symmetry once but it didn't grab my atention in the same way as Absolution, or even Black Holes. Surely I need to listen to it more, but I didn't find it as interesting as later albums.

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Date Posted: December 25 2009 at 10:55
Give it another listen then :P.

There's more depth in Origin than any of their other albums imo. Citizen Erased is my name for a reason - it's the best track they've ever done.

-------------

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 21:41
I don't think its that important if theyre prog or not. They are, however, a very creative and entertaining alternative rock band with Queen-esque touches. 

Prog, alternative, metal, etc, etc, are all subgenres of ROCK anyway.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 15:56
Rick Wakeman says they're Prog.

You gonna argue with him?

In response to the last post, their first 2 albums sound far more like Radiohead than Queen to me (probably because of the John Leckie production and falsettos more than anything else though).

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 22:20
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

In response to the last post, their first 2 albums sound far more like Radiohead than Queen to me (probably because of the John Leckie production and falsettos more than anything else though).

Their first album, can sound like early Radiohead, mainly cause of Bellamy's voice and falsetto, and partly their style. On their second album, Origin of Symmetry, all Radiohead comparisons should stop. Bellamy proves himself to be a more powerful singer than Yorke's melancholy style. And style became a lot rockier.

Queen comparisons on the other hand are mostly given the two most recent albums, particularly the song United States of Eurasia, which not only has lots of multi-tracked vocals ala Queen, but one moment sounds very similar to We Are The Champions.

Most comparisons are exaggerated.

Date Posted: January 06 2010 at 03:55
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

PROOF! Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: January 06 2010 at 04:49
Muse are not prog at all in my book. It's just histrionic pop- that's not a shot at them, just my opinion. Origin Of Symmetry is definitely their best record btw.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: January 06 2010 at 06:23
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Muse are not prog at all in my book. It's just histrionic pop- that's not a shot at them, just my opinion.

While I respect you have an opinion, I don't see how being "histrionic" pop completely excludes them from being prog.

"Histrionic" is a term that is actually very compatible with Prog - one needs only consider the theatricals of Peter Gabriel.

"Pop" is technically short for popular, but when I think of pop, I think of regular, straightforward songs with conservative, dancey arrangements. Muse definitely tick all the boxes as a heavy rock group (extraordinarily heavy in some cases, e.g. "Hysteria" and "Stockholm Syndrome").

They rocked up until Black Holes and Revelations, on which they started their descent into pop territory - but interestingly, they've also explored proggy territory more fully on tracks like "Knights of Cydonia" and "Exogenesis: Symphony".

Origin of Symmetry, particularly, is a deceptively complex album, despite the MTV hits, that rivals much Modern Prog and Prog Metal.

If you think about it, to carry your argument to its logical conclusion, all the major prog bands are just pretentious pop (without using the word "pretentious" in a derogatory way).

As an interesting note, Pink Floyd's debut LP states on the back of the sleeve "File under Popular". Wink

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: January 06 2010 at 23:31

I dunno, I'm down on Muse lately. I have their first 4 LPs, didn't like Absolution or BHAR anywhere near as much as OOS. I haven't got The Resistance, I heard Undisclosed Desires on the radio and absolutely hated it.

Anyway, Knights Of Cydonia doesn't make a band prog. It's barely a prog song anyway, length aside.

Date Posted: January 07 2010 at 00:36
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I dunno, I'm down on Muse lately. I have their first 4 LPs, didn't like Absolution or BHAR anywhere near as much as OOS. I haven't got The Resistance, I heard Undisclosed Desires on the radio and absolutely hated it.

Anyway, Knights Of Cydonia doesn't make a band prog. It's barely a prog song anyway, length aside.

It's kinda surprising that you don't like Absolution, that's pretty rare. Don't judge The Resistance by Undisclosed Desires- but if you don't like Absolution or BHAR, you probably won't like it either. Still, give it a listen, maybe just listen to the tracks on youtube or something rather than buying it.

And yeah, while KoC is one of their proggier songs, I still wouldn't call it prog.

-

This thread is basically just going around in circles. Here's a question: What do you think Muse would be like if they became prog? What prog bands would they have a style similar to? Muse have stated in an interview that they basically haven't listened to any prog, what should they listen to?

Date Posted: January 07 2010 at 10:44
They have listed to some prog. They're big Rush/Pink Floyd fans apparently and Matt was spotted at a Porcupine Tree gig recently. They're not so knowledgable on vintage prog though (Genesis they're clueless).

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 08 2010 at 10:07
I don't know if Muse are prog in quite the same sense as the classic stuff but bands like Muse and Radiohead capture its essence much more than um, prog metal.  It's er, a lot more organic and there's also a lot more, and more subtle at that, contrast.  I don't really know what exactly is the matter with Matt's vocals...sure, it's unorthodox, but it's just a matter of acquiring the taste. Why exactly is Gabriel's goat bleating "sublime" while Matt is terrible?  I don't perceive such a huge gulf and I am a huge Gabriel fan if you didn't know already.  And if Sing for Absolution isn't singing, then I don't know what is.   

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk