Print Page | Close Window

Camel vs Secret Oyster

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Discription: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6153
Printed Date: September 23 2014 at 06:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Camel vs Secret Oyster
Posted By: DallasBryan
Subject: Camel vs Secret Oyster
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 18:38
anyone familar with these recordings?

Camel - Snow Goose(1975)
Secret Oyster - Straight to the Krankenhaus(1976)

Two of the best instrumentals by these artists.
Actually produced within months of each other, these
bands gave no indication of being influenced by
each other in any measurable way. Somewhat
similar in style but nothing that overlaps one another,
influenced by their local rock scenes. Secret Oyster
being danish and Camel english.

In comparing the 2 I would rate them(on a scale of
1-10) on overall originality and quality of sound.

Camel - Snow Goose - 7.0
Secret Oyster - Straight to the Krankenhaus 8.5

what is your opionion of these 2 classics?



Replies:
Posted By: Ben2112
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 18:41
I've been giving Snow Goose some frequent spins lately (it's the only CD I have of Camel so far) and I have to say I like it very much. Very rich and melodic with great keys & guitar parts. A bit hard to get into for me as my attention span is stretched to the limit by instrumental albums, but once it started to sink in, I couldn't get enough.

What album should I proceed to next? Mirage?

-------------


Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 18:43
Secret Oyster - Straight to the Krankenhaus, then you
wont get bored! They wont let you!

available at http://synphonic.8m.com/


Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 19:19

Hi Dallas.

Gr8dane here.

Happy to see a Secret Oyster fan here.I am from Denmark and am well pleased to see them known outside the borders.

You heard Sea son by them.Another classic.

Snowgoose is fantastic too.



Posted By: JMCecil
Date Posted: May 12 2005 at 20:14

Originally posted by Ben2112

I've been giving Snow Goose some frequent spins lately (it's the only CD I have of Camel so far) and I have to say I like it very much. Very rich and melodic with great keys & guitar parts. A bit hard to get into for me as my attention span is stretched to the limit by instrumental albums, but once it started to sink in, I couldn't get enough.

What album should I proceed to next? Mirage?

Moonmadness or skip to "A Live Record".  To me "A Live Record" has the best Snowgoose by far and has great versions of stuff up to then.  The live version of Never Let Go is worth the cost all by itself.



Posted By: Aaron
Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 05:41

checking out Secret Oyster, thanks a lot (this is what message boards are all about)

Aaron



Posted By: Aaron
Date Posted: May 13 2005 at 05:45

[QUOTE=DallasBryan]

available at http://synphonic.8m.com//QUOTE - http://synphonic.8m.com/[/QUOTE ]

 

no it's not

Aaron



Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 20:54
guess he is sold out now, check back or give him a
call and he'll tell you when he should have it back in.


Posted By: lucky seven
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 20:59
Originally posted by DallasBryan


In comparing the 2 I would rate them(on a scale of
1-10) on overall originality and quality of sound.

Camel - Snow Goose - 7.0
Secret Oyster - Straight to the Krankenhaus 8.5

what is your opionion of these 2 classics?



Camel - snow goose - 8.3644985572
Secret oyster - straight to the krankenhaus - 8.29586442713

my computer told me Camel was better


Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 21:29

Originally posted by lucky seven



Camel - snow goose - 8.3644985572
Secret oyster - straight to the krankenhaus - 8.29586442713

my computer told me Camel was better

 So you don't have your own opinion on this album ?



-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)


Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:49

All of the Secret Oyster CDs are from Tachika that we should all know is not legit, but makes products that preserve the original record. the cardbooard sleeves are fragile and you must be careful while handling them. Obviously those not legit records are taken from vinyls but of correct shape!  I have had problems with some Tachika products before (namely Circus's debut and Absolute Elsewhere) that have problems on certain tracks. Buy at your own risk!

 

RE  Secret Oyster Krankenhaus and Camel's Snow Goose, clearly my prefereance goes to secret Oyster. Although I appreciate some early Camel (until Moonmadness) I always found Snow Goose atrociously boring!!! I would recommend any Secret Oyster album (even the not-so-good Astarte) over that particular Camel album.



-------------


Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:56
shaun train you speak from wisdom!

Most are as good or better than unremastered
albums and 80% of remastered works, for a
reference point.

beats doing without until legitimate releases are
presented. By the way with the quality standards of
the recording industry your not getting a bad product
remember Mobile Fidelity is out of business. Sadly,
they did a good job during the time period when they
were mastering.


Posted By: SlipperFink
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:40
Sorry to keep doing searches on very cool but much lesser known bands
but...

Here's another one:

Secret Oyster.

Haven't heard these cats since this was a new record almost 30 years ago.

Except in my head.

Where I hear them quite a bit.

They still sound pretty good.

HOHOHO.

SM.

-------------
Modesty is an ornament, but one goes further without it. Old German Proverb


Posted By: Progbear
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 01:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane

All of the Secret Oyster CDs are from Tachika that we should all know is not legit, but makes products that preserve the original record. the cardbooard sleeves are fragile and you must be careful while handling them. Obviously those not legit records are taken from vinyls but of correct shape!  I have had problems with some Tachika products before (namely Circus's debut and Absolute Elsewhere) that have problems on certain tracks. Buy at your own risk!



Secret Oyster’s Vidunderlige Kælling is already out officially from The Laser’s Edge, with Sea Son on the way in January and the other two soon to follow in 2006. So there’s no reason to patronize a crappy pirate outfit like Tachika when they’ll all be available remastered with superior packaging and bonus tracks very soon (one already readily available).


-------------


Posted By: Fraja
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 05:41

CAMEL




Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk