Forum Description: Performance Reviews by Members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61775
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Diablo Swing Orchestra 02-10-09 Camden UK
Posted By: Philamelian
Subject: Diablo Swing Orchestra 02-10-09 Camden UK
Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 12:32
It has been two years from when I've first noticed Swedish avant-garde metal band Diablo Swing Orchestra while I was shuffling in lastfm. I think they really have a unique sound makes them different than other female fronted bands and ofcourse their music can't be summarised with this.

I saw their concert advertisement in Purple Turtle Camden via last fm's recommendation in late august. At the same time learned about their new album release Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious. The concert was in 2nd of October, a Friday night, which was also their UK debut show. When we were there that night it was not a surprise to see all tickets sold out,
Purple Turtle is a small venue...

Triaxis was the supporter. They were on stage on time. They have a kick ass metal sound with female lead vocal. They are really successful in their style. Only their lead guitarist Gio's solo's disturbed me for being a bit monotonous. Lead vocal Krissie has a powerful voice, she handled high notes very easily. They played their tunes with a good performance. They are a rising band from UK, just released their debut "Key to the Kingdom".

After Triaxis big moment came. DSO's members adjusted their equipments before concert on their own and returned to the stage with their red magician robes, swingy hair styles and trouser braces. First we heard the the brass intro and then they started with "Lucy fears the Morning Star". It was a good choice for the beginning I think, as one of the outshining songs of the album. There were two mics for the brass on the stage but they came on their part in song and pumped excitement to crowd again. Everything was so close to perfect, I must confess I wasn't expecting them to perform this great, because of complicated multivocal parts with fine finished instruments which has beautiful technical nuances. Pontus and Daniel's vocals were as the album carrying the bands insanely happy sound to stage. In song "Poetic Pitbull Revolutions" Annlouice was on stairs to make space for brass. It was like an opera scene occupied by a damned metal band. Annlouice's voice was there, on the stage, from the beginning to end without an imperfection. Cello player Johannes stimulated audiences to swing many times during the concert. Apart from everything their show was worth seeing, anyone enjoys music can enjoy to see their concert. They played Vodka Inferno again as the encore.

Sound in Purple Turtle was also good considering both bands performance. In some parts Johannes' cello was a bit silent, but usually overall sound was balanced. Thanks to Ascendance Records for this great night.

Replies:
Posted By: Repner
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 10:59
They added me on myspace a few days ago.  Very unique

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:35
As someone who normally steers well clear of metal related music I can only endorse enthusiasm for this fine group. One of the few modern artists I have heard that manage to take some very familiar elements and combine these in a truly innovative and progressive way. Both the Butcher's Ballroom and Sing-Along Songs for the Dammed and Delirious are worth some of your time irrespective of what flavour of rock tickles your palette. Not sure if the appellation Tech/Extreme Metal is a particularly good fit though, how about :
Operabilly. ? Big smile

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

As someone who normally steers well clear of metal related music I can only endorse enthusiasm for this fine group. One of the few modern artists I have heard that manage to take some very familiar elements and combine these in a truly innovative and progressive way. Both the Butcher's Ballroom and Sing-Along Songs for the Dammed and Delirious are worth some of your time irrespective of what flavour of rock tickles your palette. Not sure if the appellation Tech/Extreme Metal is a particularly good fit though, how about :
Operabilly. ? Big smile

Not it's not tech/Extreme Metal, it's folk classical metal. Really good!

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk