Print Page | Close Window

The Tangent Appreciation thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62081
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 20:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Tangent Appreciation thread
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: The Tangent Appreciation thread
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 14:57
The Tangent are one of my favorite modern day prog rock bands.  I was completely blown away by The Music That Died Alone when I first heard it, and I have been thrilled by all of their albums since then.  I finally purchased the Pyramid and Stars live CD from them (at the Agents of Mercy/Karmakanic show of all places), and I am currently being reminded about how much I love this band. 

Anyhow, a search did not reveal that a Tangent appreciation thread existed, so I have created one for fans of the band to come together and talk all things The Tangent related. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 15:37
No offense Scott, but I think the The Flower Kings Appreciation Thread is also for related and that includes The Tangent, we've talked about them pretty much, specially me that seem to be the only one that really likes them.

Of course, if you want to make one specifically for them no problem...

They're also one of my favorite bands, even more so than The Flower Kings in many aspects, that jazz groove they have is simply awesome and of course Andy's organ totally blows away Tomas BodinWink

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 15:47

I think that they are a different enough band to deserve their own appreciation page, but if this thread dies after three posts than so be it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 15:50
^yeah, they are very different, but what I meant that lots of the followers from this band are in the other Appreciation thread and there you might get more responses, but do as you like of course.

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 15:58
I get what you are trying to say but a lot of the fans of this band are also fans of Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, etc.... 

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 16:41
Nuts to that.  Different band, different thread.

Were it not for a few gripes, A Place in the Queue would be a five star album for me.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 17:01
wonderful band, one of the very best post-symph groups around, Tillison is brilliant.. I liked TWTWDT but was really knocked out by Queue, still need Not as Good

Posted By: mdelval
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 17:01
In a recent interview posted here, Andy said A Place in the Queue was probably their best record, especially In Earnest.
I thought so at first about the album, and thought at first that Not as Good as the Book was their weakest. I no longer think that. The more I hear it, the more I like Not as Good as the Book. It seems to be mainly beacause of the melodies. They are great, while the melodies in In Earnest are dull. There's not a song I don't like in Not as Good as the Book, which is very strange for me, more so for a double album, while in the others there are always things I consider average or with limited interest.

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 17:08
Boo.

In Earnest is their best song.  Gorgeous melodies, both vocally and instrumentally.  Simply marvelous.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: hours_of_wealth
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 17:53
I really love their first two albums. They're very melodic and catchy while still being very progressive. Tillison's an awesome songwriter. I don't know if I should bother with the new albums though. 

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 18:07
Love The Tangent! I'm very hopeful for the new one, and I'm very impressed by their other albums!Clap

-Jeff

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 18:08
Agreed Robert. "In Earnest" is easily my favorite off A Place In The Queue although I don't find the whole album to be as strong as you do (looking at you Follow Your Leaders and titular track).

As for you Hours_of_Wealth, you should definitely get Not As Good As The Book. There's not a dull moment on the album (first disc at least).

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 18:26
#1 The World that We Drive Through (5 stars)
#2 Not as Good as the Book (4.5 stars)
#3 A Place in the Queue (4.5 stars)
#4 The Music that Died Alone (3.5 stars)

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 03:11
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Boo.

In Earnest is their best song.  Gorgeous melodies, both vocally and instrumentally.  Simply marvelous.

I didn't really meant to be that hard on In Earnest, because I think that instrumentally it is really gorgeous, as you say.

But not so much vocally. There are some places where it is not "dull" as I said before, it was a bad choice of a word, but the phrases lack definition, they end unresolved when the natural intonation should resolve (or I don't like the way he resolves them), or he delivers words because he has to say them, not because the melody needs them, like some of Jon Anderson's melodies that are just phrases without direction. Some places. Most parts are ok.

But I mixed that with the rest of the album, which, as I said, has got weaker moments. I definitely think that the short songs are better in Not as Good as the Book. And, right now, I like the long ones more than A Place in the Queue. But I insist that it has to do more with the vocal parts than with the instrumental parts or accompaniments.

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 03:20
Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that to me The Tangent are much more interesting than The Flower Kings, so they do really deserve an independent thread.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 06:43

Were it not for a few gripes, A Place in the Queue would be a five star album for me.

The only Tangent album I own Embarrassed.  With a Birthday coming up shortly, I hope that position will change.

This is a great album.  I love both epics but agree In Earnest is the best.  As well as being a fine keys man, lyrically Tillison is absolutely top notch, the best since Roger Waters in my humble opinion.  I also really like the ambient electronic stuff on the bonus disc...... no surprise there then LOL.

Nice idea for a thread Scott, and well deserved too.

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 06:46
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

and of course Andy's organ totally blows away Tomas BodinWink

Heathen!! LOL

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 07:03
Three things for me dragged A Place in the Queue to four stardom:

1. "DIY Surgery"
(wtf?)
2. "The Sun in My Eyes"
(disco)
3. "A Place in the Queue"
(much too long for its own good- could've been trimmed to 16-20 solid minutes)

"GPS Culture," however, is the second best thing on the album- really phenomenal.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 08:25
There's also a lot of disliking of Tillison's voice so I'd like to get this out there early: I like it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 09:54
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

There's also a lot of disliking of Tillison's voice so I'd like to get this out there early: I like it.

Not my favorite vocalist, but I also quite like it.  There's a real uniqueness there.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 10:02
I'm kind of the same.  He doesn't have the greatest voice but I like it.  It doesn't annoy me like other "unique" voices tend to do at times.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 15:08
I also like his voice. It's not that kind of "unique" voice, which, as you say, sometimes get annoying. And I think he uses it quite effectively.

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 15:16

1. "DIY Surgery"
(wtf?)
2. "The Sun in My Eyes"
(disco)

"GPS Culture," however, is the second best thing on the album- really phenomenal.

That's why I said I liked Not as Good as the Book more. It's general level is higher, you are never waiting for any song to end. DIY Surgery is the lowest point to me, at least The Sun in My Eyes is funny.

Date Posted: October 16 2009 at 15:22
Not as Good as the Book really speaks to me.  I used to read books all the time.  Mostly sci-fi, spy novels, Stephen King books, legal dramas, etc....  Lots of action and adventure that just don't exist in my life, where I spend most of my days working on Excel spreadsheets.  (that and hanging out on PA). Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2009 at 19:56
3rd page? *TSK!*

isn't a new album due out in November ??

Date Posted: October 29 2009 at 20:04
Down and Out in Paris and London

Date Posted: October 29 2009 at 22:13
You can listen to snippets from all the new songs on their http://po90.com/pub/index.html - website . Just do a bit of navigating. I like what I heard but for the first time it seems like there is a good deal of near-self-plagiarism for The Tangent. 

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 30 2009 at 03:27
Im lisening to in Earnest now and i think they sound more like EL&P then Yes but that is just probably me.
The melody is very similar to Jerusalem and Trilogi sort of a Andrew Lloyd Webber musical melody, but sifts in to some sort of Tarkus segment. but i like there sound and love ther Jazzy leings even some Steely Dan passages.

Date Posted: October 30 2009 at 07:21
I listened to H to He from VDGG the other day, and definitely noticed the effect that David Jackson had on the early Tangent sound.

-------------

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: October 30 2009 at 16:00
I'll have to chime on in this thread. The Tangent are definitely one of my top favourite bands. I have high hopes for the next album, because I feel they've only gotten better and better with every album so far (well, The World That We Drive Through and A Place in the Queue are pretty even). Not as Good as the Book is actually one of my favourite albums ever. The first disc of the album alone is excellent, but the second disc is what makes the album brilliant. Both of the 20+ epics are amazing. I've recently become even more attached to The Full Gamut. I find the lyrics in that song to be really heartfelt and they make the song even more powerful.
I'll also have to say that I love Tillison's voice. He may not have the perfect voice, but he has a certain warmth and genuinity that I really like. It's the same reason I really like Phideaux Xavier's and Neal Morse's vocals.
Oh, and also, I just have to say this. The Sun in My Eyes is one of my favourite The Tangent songs. The song always cheers me up. It's one of those feel-good songs that never dissappoint.

Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 23:38
Yes, Rasvamakkara, you got it completely right about Tillison's voice. The reason I like it so much is the warmth and the fact that it seems genuine. I also agree that "The Sun in My Eyes" is a fantastic track.

Seeing as how it is Veteran's Day I think everyone should give "In Earnest" a listen to today.

-------------

Date Posted: November 23 2009 at 14:54
I'm still forming my opinion on Down and Out in Paris and London but I will say that the opening riff in "Where are They Now?" is easily in my top 5 riffs and could very well be number 1.

-------------

Posted By: Embryo
Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:21
4 facts :)

1) I like The Tangent
2) Andy Tillison is a great songwriter & storyteller
3) I like Tillison's voice - though he's not technically great singer there's that great (british) feel  - another gentleman with same qualities is Roger Waters
4) The new album DAOIPAL (I do hate these abbreviations) is brilliant!

Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:44
I received the new album in the mail just yesterday. My expectations were very high for this album, and I'm happy to say I'm not dissappointed. I have a feeling I'll like it even more with repeated listens. So far my favourite song on the album is probably Perdu Dans Paris, but all the other songs are very good too.

Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:52
@Sausage: did you order it from Tangent's website? I did but I still haven't received mine.

Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 11:31
Actually, just after I posted that post, I realised my mistake. I actually bought it yesterday from Keltainen jäänsärkijä. I received Transatlantic's new album in the mail today and that was already enough to mess my small mind up. 

Date Posted: November 24 2009 at 12:38
I ordered it directly from Tangent 'cause I wasn't sure if the limited first pressing digipak edition was available elsewhere but apparently it is.

If I buy CDs online it's usually directly from the artist or PLAY.com but otherwise I like to buy my music from Keltainen Jäänsärkijä - the best CD store in town! 

Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 10:36
I got The World That We Drive Through as a birthday present recently and I've just listened to it for the first time.  This is only the second album I have of theirs (A Place In The Queue is the other).

I know it's only the first hearing for this, but it sounds like a fabulous album to me.  I enjoyed this much more on first spin than I did APITQ (I really grew to love that album after hearing it a few times Tongue).  My initial thought is that this is more of a pure classic symphonic prog album than APITQ, albeit with the usual jazzy excursions.  The contribution of Roine Stolt is sublime and the other Flower Kings members make their presence felt too.

Of course I need to give this album more spins, but for initial hearing this has made a very favourable impression on me Big smile.

Posted By: grimtim
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 06:47
Fantastic CD and I want to write a review of it. I am new here so is there any kind of restriction about how long you have to be a member to write a review? I don't want to annoy people!

Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 12:44
Originally posted by grimtim grimtim wrote:

Fantastic CD and I want to write a review of it. I am new here so is there any kind of restriction about how long you have to be a member to write a review? I don't want to annoy people!

First off, welcome! You can write a review as soon as you become a member.

Roj, I felt the same way about The World that We Drive Through. I'm not sure whether I like that or Not as Good as the Book better, but they're both excellent.

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:18
I absolutely loved Not as Good as the Book, one of my all-time favs

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:31
New album is just amazing..i love it. got some feeling that they cut jazzy elements a bit..

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Posted By: grimtim
Date Posted: December 07 2009 at 14:49
Thank you to The Captain for the welcome and I have now posted my first review on Progarchives and it is of The Tangent's "Down And Out In Paris And London" please let me know if I have breached any site guidelines or rules.

I hope you enjoy what I have written. (Took days!)

Posted By: magardiner
Date Posted: December 09 2009 at 22:32

Somewhere I've got an early stage demo for "A Place in the Queue" which is about 16 minutes.

MAG

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 05:47
A bit late to make my debut on this thread but better late than never right ? Anyway, I would think this thread a bit hotter than it appears right now so shortly after the release of Down and out ...
And shouldn't the thread have more followers than right now ? About 10-15 people for this high class band is too few I believe. I'll put in my 2 cents for the ranking of the albums:

Music that died alone 3,75* (Up Hill from here is superb, what an energy !)
The World that we drive through 4* (4 excellent tracks)
A Place in the Queue 4,25* (In Earnest is in my top 25 songs of all time !!)
Not as Good as the Book 4*(the shorter song disk is better than the epic disk to me) 
Down and Out in Paris and London 4,25* (most equable album of the 5)

Anyway, great band and what a modest guy Andy Tilison is. Just read this interview on DPRP:

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_tillison/ - http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_tillison/

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:18

WOW!  Very impressed with The Tangent.  I grabbed as many albums as I could.  

Let me give you my background.  I came into the Tangent from Jakko Jakszyk.  I really am crazy about Jakko's solo work and found he was in the Tangent for "Not as good as the book".  I feel that Jakko has a unique ability to sound fripp-esque and holdsworth-ian sometimes.  He's very unpredictable on the guitar.  That's what makes him fun.  Also, the man has a great voice (whjch is rarely heard which is a shame!)

Personally, I think this album gets a bad rap.  So far "Not as Good As The Book" has been the only Tangent album I could assimilate in one listen.  This doesn't mean the rest are bad albums.  It just seemed to me to be the easiest to assimilate.  I'm plowing thru "The world we drive..."  and its getting better by the listen.

I'm not afraid of "dense" prog music like this.  Hell, I'm a die hard Hatfield & the North fan which can be VERY dense/complicated music.  So you can see that Tangent would serve me well and it does.  QUITE well.

I'm just thrilled with stumbling over The Tangent, and I just thought I'd share my early experience.

and to tell everyone to stop panning or down-rating "Not as good as the book" as i feel for me, it is/was the best introduction.

PS long live the legacy of pip pyle and hugh hopper.  i miss them so much it hurts!

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:44
^ Yes Jakko  Jackszyk is a verry good singer esecially on that Schizoid Band thing ive seen on YouTube (Epitapth i think) and he NAILS it he has a great passionate voice and sings the songs with such passion and you realy se he respects KCs work

but yes back to topic The Tangent RULES and their art-works is realy pretty it's like I want to walk into them and see whats living creatures you can find their .

http://www.po90.com/tangent2008/queuefront.jpg

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 16:52

The schizoid band is nice, but his song writing is definitely key.  You need to check out:

Jakko-Are My Ears on Wrong

and

Jakko Jakszyk-The Bruised Romantic Glee Club

this stuff is just really good ear candy.

His appearance with holdsworth et al, on Level 42's Guaranteed album was a good outing as well.

Jakko - Are My Ears on Wrong The Bruised Romantic Glee Club

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:20
Hello i need a begginer's guide to The Tangent.

What albums do you recommend to me.
Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:25

My personal opinion is that they are all great and that you should start at the beginning and work your way forward.  The Music That Died Alone came at the perfect time for me and had a major impact on drawing me back to progressive rock, and I think that it is also a great place to start with them. 

-------------

Posted By: magardiner
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 21:54
I love all the albums -- but I'd say the three essential ones are the first one (The Music That Died Alone), the third (A Place in the Queue) and the current one (Down and Out in Paris and London)....but the even numbered ones are very good too.

Come to think of it, Tangent albums are rather like Beethoven Symphonies....

MAG

Posted By: AstralliS
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 14:08
Hello all Tangent fans! Prog Sphere just completed an interview with Andy Tillison and Jonathan Barrett (The Tangent's new bassist) for our up-and-coming review/interview blogzine! Linked here -  http://prog-sphere.blogspot.com/%C2%A0Stop - http://prog-sphere.blogspot.com/ Stop on by and read the first part of the interview, and feel free to comment. Part two, the part containing both Andy and Jonathan (instead of just Andy) will be up soon.

Also, I would like to mention that there will be some more interviews with people such as Nad Sylvian, Ryo Okumoto, Guy Manning among others. Be sure to check it, coz Prog Sphere is here to stay!

-------------
http://www.prog-sphere.com" rel="nofollow - Prog Sphere - Progressive Rock News, Interviews, Reviews & More

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: May 07 2010 at 04:51
I just listened to Not As Good As The Book again the other day and reminded myself of how much I love the band. They have a lot of solid releases - especially that and The World That We Drive Through. Thought provoking, no holds barred prog. I haven't heard Down And Out In London and Paris yet, but I'd like to!

Date Posted: May 07 2010 at 07:31
Hope you got interested to hear Down and Out in Paris and London, after this interview with Andy :)

-------------
http://www.prog-sphere.com" rel="nofollow - Prog Sphere - Progressive Rock News, Interviews, Reviews & More

Date Posted: May 07 2010 at 18:31
The second part of an interview with Andy Tillison in addition of new band's bassist is located http://prog-sphere.blogspot.com/2010/05/prog-spheres-interview-with-andy_07.html - HERE . Find out what they have to say about the Canterbury scene, being active live again after two years, the upcoming Po90 album, Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke, dogs and many other interesting things.

-------------

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 13:26
Re-opened on request.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 13:31
So yea guys, uh... how about that new album?

Seriously, COMM is great, and one of the band's best. The reviews on the site are generally positive. I think they have the best guitarist they've ever had right now (not counting Roine Stolt of course).

I'm listening to Not As Good As The Book, and it may be their best album (I dont have Place In The Queue or the first album though...)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 15:59
i've seen some footage of their recent dvd.  so so great.  i need to get one of their albums.  i think i'll start at the beginning and just work through them.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 17:07
1. A Place in the Queue
2. Not as Good as the Book
3. The World We Drive Through

I only have 3 albums by them, but they are all good. A Place in the Queue in a definite 5* masterpiece. Great balance between their jazz and symphonic styles, with stronger eclecticism appearing throughout the album. Then i think the other 2 are strong 4* albums. 

For someone reason i haven't really dissected their line-up though, maybe because they have a well developed cohesiveness going on. Though i'm really impressed by Tilison's keyboard playing, the main reason i was searching through The Tangent's material.  GPS Culture is a song that pops into my head when i think of some of his more "Yes-styled" performances. 

I could go and scramble for the other handful of albums i'm missing but i really want to soak these up more. Though, i think once i do crave another album by 'em i'll get their debut, The Music That Died Alone. 

Great band. Glad i kept with them. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 20:44
Well basically, their first 4 albums consist of mainly Flower Kings members. Jonas Reingold on bass for the first 4, Zoltan on the first 2, Roine Stolt on the first 2, and Jamie Salazar on Queue and Good As The Book.

I like their current lineup, or at least the one on COMM. I haven't heard anything from their new bassist, but the guitarist is really good.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 09:08
How is A Place In The Queue? I want to get that and the first album, but I'm not sure which to get first. Queue is cheaper to get, it seems the first album is a little rare.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 09:19
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

How is A Place In The Queue? I want to get that and the first album, but I'm not sure which to get first. Queue is cheaper to get, it seems the first album is a little rare.

is Place in the Queue the album that they scrapped and then released?

hope that first album isn't too expensive.  i need to get it too.

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 11:22
I take back what I said about the best album. I think COMM is THE Tangent album. If you guys don't have it yet, you need to get it. It's such an energetic album.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 11:51
The first one is still my favorite, but I like all of them quite a bit.  I actually like Not As Good As The Book a lot.  The lyrics kind of have some personal meaning for me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:00
I heard samples of The Music That Died Alone from Amazon and they sounded awesome. So much that I felt like it was the best one without really having heard the album.

Have you heard COMM? The sound seems 'similar' to NAGATB, but with more guitar pyrotechnics ala prog metal like Dream Theater, Riverside etc.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:10
Yes, I bought COMM directly from the band along with Andy Tillison's Murk.  It doesn't wow me the way that their first few albums did, but I enjoy it.  I get a chuckle out of Tech Support Guy. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:29
Tech Support Guy is definitely the best of the middle songs. I like the concept of the album. The Wiki Man is one my favorite epics.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:41

Well basically, their first 4 albums consist of mainly Flower Kings members. Jonas Reingold on bass for the first 4, Zoltan on the first 2, Roine Stolt on the first 2, and Jamie Salazar on Queue and Good As The Book.

I like their current lineup, or at least the one on COMM. I haven't heard anything from their new bassist, but the guitarist is really good.

The new bassist, Dan Mashal, is amazing. Jonathan Barret didn't lack for technical ability but Mashal brings back a style and flair to the bass thats been missing since Jonas left, and I think he was missing it as well on Not as Good....

I think the current quartet with Theo's studio wind instruments added, is the strongest line up they've had since The Music that Died Alone.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 13:26
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

The new bassist, Dan Mashal, is amazing. Jonathan Barret didn't lack for technical ability but Mashal brings back a style and flair to the bass thats been missing since Jonas left, and I think he was missing it as well on Not as Good....

I think the current quartet with Theo's studio wind instruments added, is the strongest line up they've had since The Music that Died Alone.

This makes me excited for their next album, whenever that will be. I feel they lost something when Jonas left, but got it back when they got their new guitarist; like he reinvigorated Tillison and The Tangent in general.

Listening to Not As Good As The Book. Lost in London (25 Years Later) is so jazzy/funky!

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 14:08
I just picked up The Music That Died Alone, and A Place In The Queue (special edition). I now have all The Tangent studio albums! Big smile

Just waiting on my copy of The Flower King's Retropolis to come in the mail and I'll have all their studio albums too! So much new music to listen to.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 15:35
Where did you get the music died alone?  It seems to be out of print.

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 16:39
My local record store had a copy of it. You can get it on Amazon.

Listening to it right now, and I can't believe I didn't get this album first before their others. It's fire!

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 17:19
A Place in the Queue is their best album, i'm telling you it's true!

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 19:49
I'll be getting to that soon enough, probably after a few more spins of The Music That Died Alone. That first epic is amazing!

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 20:22
I wish they were single tracks.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 20:26
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I wish they were single tracks.

The first album?

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 20:27
Yeppers.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 20:31

Yeppers.

It's funny, because I knew the epics were split into tracks, making 16 tracks. But when I looked at the back cover, it only had 4 songs listed, so I was like "ok, I guess this version is just the 4 songs". But then on the inside booklet, it has the divided tracks listed with each name. I thought it was a little strange.

It's one thing to do it for an epic that takes up a whole CD, or is the only song on the CD, like The Whirlwind, Garden of Dreams (though it has an epilogue after it), or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. But it's 4 different songs, each one divided up into separate tracks, with one stand-alone song. Kinda weird.

But it doesn't matter cause I thought that album ruled. I want to listen to it again already.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:15
Man, I listened to The Music That Died Alone 5 times in 2 days, it was that good. I think the Canterbury Sequence is the most interesting thing on the album (and makes me want to further explore the Canterbury scene), but the first epic, IN Darkest Dreams, is the best thing on the album. The chorus is so catchy.

Up next soon, A Place In The Queue.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:32
Clap  I love The Music That Died Alone.  That album is about as perfect an album as I have ever heard.  One of the handful of albums that I have rated with a 10 out of 10 on progfreak.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:37
It's totally a masterpiece. It's nice that it's pretty much LP length (48 minutes). I put it up there with The Flower King's Unfold the Future as far as amazing symphonic jazz-prog goes.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Clap  I love The Music That Died Alone.  That album is about as perfect an album as I have ever heard.  One of the handful of albums that I have rated with a 10 out of 10 on progfreak.

i'm going to check your reviews!

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:28
^Do it.

Oh my effin' God, The Music That Died Alone is such a perfect album! Listening again, and I have to say it's the best Tangent album Ive heard so far.

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 11:06
Love this band.  My favorite of theirs is easily A Place In The Queue, but all the albums have good music.

The Music That Died Alone was one that I thought was fantastic on my first couple listens, but then became less enjoyable over time.  It reveals all it's secrets the first time through, I guess is how I would describe it.  Still, it is a good album, and on the rare occasions I pull it out, I do enjoy it quite a bit.

But I actually think the band has gotten better and better since the Flower Kings guys left.  COMM is outstanding, but takes some time to reveal it's greatness.  Same with the previous album (though COMM is better, I think).

Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 11:41
I still have to listen to A Place In The Queue. I got it with TMTDA, but I listened to that first, and didn't want to be overwhelmed.

COMM is my favorite of theirs, one of their best, if not their best. There's something about it (probably the new guitarist) that sets it above all the others.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2012 at 11:46
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions.

How are the bonus tracks for Down and Out In Paris and London?

I ask because my copy doesn't have the bonus tracks, but I heard they are good. When I bought the album, I didn't know there was a special edition.

However, when I bought The World That We Drive Through, I hated the bonus track it came with so much, that I deleted it off my iTunes/iPod.(which I never really do).

Now I recently purchased A Place In The Queue, and with it came a bonus disc, so I was hesitant to listen to it at first. However, I went through it last night, and it was really good, like it wasn't even a bonus disc at all, but a 2nd disc to the album. This prompted me to see what other albums had bonus tracks, and that brought me back to find that DAOIPAL has 2 bonus tracks.

So how are they? I'll gladly re-buy the album with bonus tracks (I paid 3 bucks for the first copy I bought, as it was a used copy, but in perfect condition) and give my old copy to my brother. Maybe he'll get into them.

----------------------------------------------------------

My other question is, how does everyone feel about the supposed new album from The Tangent, which is apparently inspired by Stravinsky?

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:25
No one knows???

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:39
My version doesn't have the bonus tracks and since I am not a big fan of classical music and not familiar with Stravinsky, I don't really have an opinion there. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:32
my experience with bonus tracks is that they always disappoint.  i gave up chasing after them years ago, especially prog-related.

Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 12:42
I listened to COMM again this morning and it was a very enjoyable listen.  I had to leave for work, but ended up leaving about 10 minutes later so that I could finish the album.  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 09:31
COMM is really good. I would say it's a top 3 Tangent album, up there with A Place In The Queue and the debut.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 10:56
There is only one bonus track on Down and Out, as far as I can tell.  I've never heard it.  I love the bonus on World That We Drive Through.  I'd say I actually like it more than the rest of the album (well, if not for the title track and the Winning Game).  I also love the bonus CD on Queue, great stuff on that one.

As to bonus tracks in general, they can be a mixed bag.  I find with most FK related stuff, they are usually well worth it, though the last TA album, there was only really one song worth having.

I agree COMM is a top 3 Tangent album, easily. 

Posted By: Garden of Dreams
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 20:27

COMM is really good. I would say it's a top 3 Tangent album, up there with A Place In The Queue and the debut.

Those are my top three albums as well.  COMM has me excited for their future albums that will hopefully feature even more Luke Machin.

-------------
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 20:50
A Place in the Queue is a modern masterpiece.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 13:30

A Place in the Queue is a modern masterpiece.

This.

It's my favorite, with the rest of them falling in more or less reverse order, though I'd say World that we Drive through is my least favorite, sort of tied with Not As Good As the Book, with the debut being just above those two.  Basically, I think that since Roine Stolt left, with the exception of Not As Good As The Book, they just got better and better.  I say that as a huge fan of Roine Stolt, by the way.

Much like the Flower Kings, I like all their albums, it's just a matter of how much.

Date Posted: May 28 2012 at 10:10
I listened to In Earnest before, Wow. Ive listened to A Place In The Queue the least because it was the last Tangent album I got, so I feel like I haven't gotten familiar enough with it; having finished the aforementioned epic, it just blew me away. Such an emotional song, with many dramatic shifts in mood. Up there with the best Flower Kings and Transatlantic epics for sure, but more experimental and jazzy.

By the way, I read a recent interview with Roine Stolt, and he was asked about The Tangent, he said he couldn't reveal much news, but he said something like "never say never". He said a similar thing about TFK last year, and then here we are, awaiting a new Flower Kings album.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2012 at 10:35
I love In Earnest.  It tells such an excellent story and it so reminds me of talking to my friend's father (RIP) about his days in World War II.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I love In Earnest.  It tells such an excellent story and it so reminds me of talking to my friend's father (RIP) about his days in World War II.

It's funny I decided to throw A Place In The Queue on today, Memorial Day, being the 2 epics are about war veterans, which I wasn't even thinking about when I was choosing an album.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 21:40
For all you Andy Tillison fanatics, he makes an appearance on Beardfish's new album, reading a narration.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2012 at 08:14
I'm 3 albums behind with Beardfish!  Perhaps I should get caught up?  Or maybe get the new one and then go back and pick up the other two?

Anyway, just listened to COMM again recently, what a great album.  Still hasn't pushed Queue out of my number one spot (which I also just recently listened to again), but it is close.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk