Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62152
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 20:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Inner Mountain Apocalypse or Birds of Emerald
Posted By: The Quiet One
Subject: Inner Mountain Apocalypse or Birds of Emerald
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:22
Been in a very jazz rock mood lately, and these 2 haven't left my CD player over a week from now. Both original and as competent as their first 2 albums, though very different stylistically.

Which one do you prefer?

Replies:
Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:26
While I'm not a fan of this band I prefer  Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

While I'm not a fan of this band I prefer  Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Then you're not allowed to vote, thus your vote doesn't countStern Smile

Wink

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:32
Ermm but I like the albumSmile

Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 14:38
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Ermm but I like the albumSmile

Good for youThumbs Up

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:06
I'll go with Apocalypse, but Visions does have Eternity's Breath, which is epic.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:10
Visions but not by much.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:13
I refuse to choose! Cry

Both albums are equally great!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:24
Apocalypse for now, but ...both records are great

-------------

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:45
I dont know why I don't have these albums in my collection, i need em!

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 16:09
Both are excellent, but y prefer Emerald.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 16:35
This: "I'll go with Apocalypse, but Visions does have Eternity's Breath, which is epic."

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 16:58
I ve never been able to get into this pair of records. Very different from the first Mahavishnu incarnation.

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:01
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

I ve never been able to get into this pair of records. Very different from the first Mahavishnu incarnation.

Me either, though Visions isn't bad.

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:05
I have to agree with that one , how can you dislike this one hell of a record??

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:14
Visions of the Emerald beyond.
But it's been ages since i heard "Apocalypse". "Visions..." too when i think about it!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 18:24
Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Posted By: Luke. J
Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 14:01

I have to agree with that one , how can you dislike this one hell of a record??

Maybe the best by Stratovarius, though I prefer Elements Part 1Embarrassed

Yes, Visions of the Emerald Beyond has Eternity's Breath, so epic, that it is devided in two parts, which makes it even more epic.. (by the way, potential poll?)

I think it's Visions for me, though I have to admit that I haven't listened both a lot, but from what I heard so far, Visions. Could be because I rather dislike Hymn to Him..

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 17:07
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Me either, though Visions isn't bad.
I've never really got Mahavishnu mark 2 either; Visions is sort of OK but I can't get into Apocalypse at all.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 17:30
I don't have eitherEmbarrassed I really never got into jazz rock. Sorry, Pablo.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 18:41
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

No need to apologise, Jeff. What have you heard so far(of the genre)?

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 18:46
Visions of this two.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 19:08
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Well, I like Santana, Alan Morse, and Pat Metheny. It's not that I don't like jazz rock fusion, it's just that I never really investigated too far into it. I've been all over prog metal and symphonic prog lately, I never really got to know too many artists in the gene. Any recommendations?

-Jeff

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 19:35

Well, I like Santana, Alan Morse, and Pat Metheny. It's not that I don't like jazz rock fusion, it's just that I never really investigated too far into it. I've been all over prog metal and symphonic prog lately, I never really got to know too many artists in the gene. Any recommendations?

-Jeff

Yeah I know you've been into Prog Metal(of all kindsWink) lately, but just wanted to know which bands have you heard.

As far as recomendations knowing a bit of your taste, Unorthodox Behaviour by Brand X featuring Phil Collins on drums might be a very interesting pick for you, somewhat improvised-sounding, but lots of shred-esque guitars, spectacular bass and Phil's peak on the drums, you won't believe it's him playing.

Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever might be another you might want to check out since it's more Prog-alike rather than Jazz-alike, lots of very complex passages and of course featuring shred-maestro Al Di Meola.

For a more varied Jazz Fusion band, Frank Zappa is always there with either Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All, Waka/Jawaka, Roxy & Elsewhere and Sleep Dirt.

Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 19:59

-Jeff

Yeah I know you've been into Prog Metal(of all kindsWink) lately, but just wanted to know which bands have you heard.

As far as recomendations knowing a bit of your taste, Unorthodox Behaviour by Brand X featuring Phil Collins on drums might be a very interesting pick for you, somewhat improvised-sounding, but lots of shred-esque guitars, spectacular bass and Phil's peak on the drums, you won't believe it's him playing.

Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever might be another you might want to check out since it's more Prog-alike and Jazz-alike, lots of very complex passages and of course featuring shred-maestro Al Di Meola.

For a more varied Jazz Fusion band, Frank Zappa is always there with either Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All, Waka/Jawaka, Roxy & Elsewhere and Sleep Dirt.

Thanks PabloSmile I've been a pretty big Zappa fan lately, so I've been collectively getting most of those. I'll check some of those out soon

-Jeff

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2009 at 20:05

-Jeff

Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever might be another you might want to check out since it's more Prog-alike and Jazz-alike, lots of very complex passages and of course featuring shred-maestro Al Di Meola.

Thanks PabloSmile I've been a pretty big Zappa fan lately, so I've been collectively getting most of those. I'll check some of those out soon

-Jeff

LOL, I meant that Romantic Warrior was more Prog-alike than Jazz-alike.Embarrassed

Also, well, Mahavishnu Orchestra of course, haha that is what this thread is about: 

Want really complex stuff with relatively heaviness for the 70's, either Inner Mountain Flame or Birds of Fire by them should be a big treat, also worth to mention John McLaughlin's outstanding guitar which you must hear!

If you prefer something lighter with less "chaos" and "technicality", Apocalypse which features the London Symphony Orchestra, somewhat Symphonic-esque, might be a good start, that is if you like music with Classical leanings and interpolates it with rock/jazz.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 20 2009 at 09:41
I like them both.  I'm not one of those who would disparage MO post the original line up.  I do like Apocalypse better.  I think it's one of the most intense albums out there.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk