Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62478
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 14:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Classic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine
Posted By: akajazzman
Subject: Classic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 00:04
OK I know its the most expensive magazine on the racks, and that sucks, but you have to admit, its a great rag.  I was so thrilled when it hit the stands.  Couldn't have come at a better time for me.  I think the British rock magazines like Classic Rock, Mojo and Uncut are by and large better than US magazines, but how many times to I need to reread about the Who, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Hendrix, Zeppelin?   What more is their to learn about them?  

Then Classic Rock figured out that there's still Prog nuts like us out there and are now delivering the goods in their "Prog Rock" magazine.  I've been completely satisfied with the first three issues, and think the found a nice blend of the new and old.  The samplers, especially the first one, are pretty good.  Even if they're over priced, they're crammed with great articles and little ads, so its like a mini-book.  I've even discovered a few good bands through it. 

I  dunno, I walk into my local shop, and there's this big ole "Prog Rock" magazine shouting out for all to see.  Sorta...gets you..right there.. Wink

Replies:
Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 00:28
My favourite music mag is Q. It has it's flaws but it does the best job out of all the high street mags of making a real effort to try to cover everything- you'll see rap, country, pop, prog, metal, almost everything, turning up there. You can also see it has real industry respect from the sort of people who turn up to the Q awards. (Heaps of people who typically don't do those things or are rather unexpected such as Morrissey, John Lydon, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, REM, Radiohead, Scott Walker, Glenn Campbell, Grace Jones, Smokey Robinson, Gary Numan, Sonic Youth, Robert Plant, Cat Stevens etc)
And yes, English mags are better than American ones.

Posted By: bsms810
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 04:58
Completely agree akerjazman, its a great mag and does a great job of covering old and new.... you are also right about it being overpriced but Its sort of inevitable when you think about the RELATIVE sparcity of prog fans

-------------
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 06:19
Let's face it: Progheads lives in big castles and drive Ferrari, Mercedes or Range Rover. That's why this magazine costs a fortune. Hence I will now take out a subscription. The magazine will be delivered by helicopter directly from the Classic Rock's HQ. A box of chocolate will be included. 

Posted By: Darklord55
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 07:53
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Let's face it: Progheads lives in big castles and drive Ferrari, Mercedes or Range Rover. That's why this magazine costs a fortune. Hence I will now take out a subscription. The magazine will be delivered by helicopter directly from the Classic Rock's HQ. A box of chocolate will be included. 

While you're at it,  Can you fly over the pond and drop one off at  my castle?  Free beer and lodging included.  LOL

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 09:21
I did not buy the magazine because I could not justify spending $25 on a magazine full of similar content to what I get online when I could spend that $25 on two new prog CDs.

Now, if it had been even half the price, I probably would have done it.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 09:27
It's really expensive, but well worth it IMO - I've saved by cancelling my order of the regular Classic Rock magazine.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: October 31 2009 at 14:21

Textbook, that’s cool that you like Q.  I should have mentioned that one too.  Although I’m a Prog nut, I really do like to stay up on all types of music, and discover old and new stuff.  For example the new Uncut just did what they think are the top 150 albums of the decade (can you believe the first decade is almost gone already!??)   And I’m discovering some little gems in there.  Albeit, not a hint of Prog in that pile.  

I live in America, and subscribe to some U.S. magazines too.  My favorite is Magnet, which is largely devoted to alternative.indie rock.   And I keep emailing them saying, “dudes, don’t perpetuate the notion that Prog isn’t also loved by people that like current music too.  In my experience many real music lovers tend to expand cross many genre boundaries, and I know tons of younger folks that love new music, but also new/old Prog. 

On the other hand, many of the UK magazines tend to worry less about genre boundaries, and also I like how they don’t worry about time period.  Perfect for an older Rocker like me that wants to read about My Morning Jacket but still loves to read about Joy Division or Moby Grape. 

Rock n Roll really has transcended the generations.  Imagine in 1969 reading/relating to something from 1929?   That’s the same time span from now back to 1969!  Amazing.

Bsms810, you’re right about the price.  “supply and demand”.  To create such a quality magazine as Prog Rock, they know there’ll be a strong demand from a small group of us.  So “some” will pay the price, as long as it’s a quality product, and they’ll make up their costs/profit in a higher price.  If we could grow the number of Prog fans out there, than we could bring the price down!  ;-)

Gazzardian, I don’t blame you.  I had similar thoughts.  And agree, you can get far more information online.  Still, I guess I’m old school.  I love the internet, but relaxing with a cool magazine that I can then keep on a shelf and refer to later is something I still enjoy.  But hey, I still collect CDs/LPs, and I realize that that is total psychological/socialization when keeping all the music on a computer/MP3 is so much more efficient.  But I love the “unit” of the CD/LP. 

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 04:55
I'm afraid I don't like Q, but then I'm (considerably) older than twenty! I guess I'm of the MOJO generation - can you get MOJO in the U.S.?

What annoys me about Q is that they keep repeating the same old clichés (e.g. Rick Wakeman ate CURRIES ON STAGE while performing TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS) without analysing the music. Also, there's a lot of chitchat about the (alledgedly) wild life of rock stars; I just keep thinking: been there, done that.

MOJO is published by the same company as Q but it will actually TELL YOU SOMETHING. The only thing that annoys me about MOJO is that, whenever they want to sell some extra copies (which is at least every 5 months or so) they put either the Beatles or Oasis on their front cover! These bands seem to do wonders for MOJO's circulation, at least here in the U.K. (I never really understood this country's continuing fascination with Oasis - a third-rate band if I ever saw one!)

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 06:29
As said these magazines do recycle a lot of information, and assume  everybody that buys the mag is a complete noob..Ermm

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 09:26
One to look out for is this months Mojo, with "free" cover-mount CD of The Wall remade by lots of people I've never heard of, except Ulver (Another Brick pt 1) and Astra (Empty Spaces) ... disc one this month, disc two next.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 12:10

Yeah, we get MOJO, Q, Uncut, Prog Rock, Classic Rock in the U.S.   They actually get pretty wide distribution, because they fill a gap that no U.S. magazines do.  Its weird, you'd think on U.S. magazine would figure this out and not be so genre AND generational focused.

My Dad hated all music made after the age of 22, I swore I'd never be like that.  So as much as I have a bias toward late 60s/early 70s music, I try really hard to stay current.   The U.K. rags allow that without forgetting the older classic stuff.  Q of course is more focused on the current, Pop and happenings. 

"Prog Rock" is my favorite of course then Uncut and Mojo I like equally.  Classic Rock is good, but sometimes I feel too much of a dinosaur reading it since its all about 30 and 40 year old music.  Nothing wrong with that, I love a lot of that stuff, but the notion of only being into old music seems inherently narrow minded.  I think that’s a bigger problem in the US than in the UK, where you have dudes that don’t’ give a damn about any music made after Nirvana hit or earlier.   I think it leads to a certain narrow-mindedness beyond just music, like everything beyond what they do and like sucks. 

Or maybe I just don’t like growing old.  Trying to stay abreast of some newer music makes me feel young. 

Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 13:13
I also like stay informed about newer music, but most recent prog bands let me down. Anekdoten are good. Deluge Grander I like. Also the Indonesian band Discus, which I keep going on about!

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: November 01 2009 at 15:38
Fuxi: I like that kind of stuff, stories about Elton John attacking Iggy Pop while dressed as a gorilla and so forth because that's the kind of experience I'd only have reading a magazine. Concentrating on distilling the nature of the music into text is not only going to turn it into an unappealing journal but if I want to know what I think about a song I can hear it myself. All Q needs to do is indicate that it's of interest and generally they do do that.
For example, they gave Mansun a lot of negative press but just from their description it sounded like something I would like even though Q didn't and that's how I became a Mansun fan.
My point is that Q tells me what's going on as much as what they think about it, and I like that.

Posted By: Iron Nate
Date Posted: November 04 2009 at 03:26
Really like the mag. It can be difficult finding a copy where I live in Australia. Plus it's always months behind.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 04 2009 at 07:22
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's really expensive, but well worth it IMO - I've saved by cancelling my order of the regular Classic Rock magazine.

that's the cool thing about it... I barely look at the "normal" CR mag anymore.Star

But to say I save up.... is maybe over-doing things.... since in the last two years I had almost not bought it (OK, maybe twice).... so I was not spendingSmile

A few years ago, I used to buy let's say 10 out 13 mags per year (since CR came out every 4 weeks and not once a month)..... but , while never being perfect or that well informed(let's just say they were an entertaining read) , they suddendly complete crap with their lists and such idiotic as 150 yo listen before you die.... etc...

Uncut is probably my second fave (but far behind), but I wish they'd concentrate on music.... I couldn't care less of movies..... than comes MoJo (with their bi-annual Stones/Beatles/Dylan/Who cover articles) and Record Collector (too much based on rarities)

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Fogon the Tyne
Date Posted: November 04 2009 at 07:42

im in  a minority i think here but feel that classic rock have missed a trick. What I mean is why not just put more prog in the original mag?  Ive noticed that the original mag has been decreasing in content for a few months now( check the type face and the no of pics etc)  Like the new prog mag but honestly feel its possible a bit of a money grabber.  Gawd im old n cynical i know.

-------------
I have become comfortably numb

Posted By: DangerousCurves
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 09:09

I thoroughly enjoy reading Classic Rock Magazine. I accept that there has been a few more lists lately but I'm not inclined to agree with the notion that content has dropped. I've always appreciated the fact that they have flown the flag for prog, indeed I would say it was down to an article they did on Genesis that largely got me into prog in the first place. Certainly, it was the magazine which introduced me to prog.

They don't just feature 30-40 year old bands either, they showcase many bands which would probably get zero exposure otherwise, prog and non-prog.

As for the Prog magazine, it follows the style of the main magazine so I like it very much, although the price, I think, is higher than I would like, although understandable as highlighted by other posts above.

Posted By: DangerousCurves
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 09:50
Originally posted by Fogon the Tyne Fogon the Tyne wrote:

im in  a minority i think here but feel that classic rock have missed a trick. What I mean is why not just put more prog in the original mag?  ...  Like the new prog mag but honestly feel its possible a bit of a money grabber.  Gawd im old n cynical i know.

I don't think Classic Rock has missed a trick. Classic Rock covers a wide umbrella of rock styles, and I think it gives progressive rock a fair amount of coverage (in the November Issue there is a decent feature on Yes despite the Prog magazine), and I think that to increase the amount may be seen as unreasonable to those who don't appreciate prog, so think it  does well to cover what it does.
They obviously saw the gap for a prog only mag, so they filled it and it has been very successful.

Posted By: Badabing666
Date Posted: November 12 2009 at 16:14

Me too. Felt like the only sensible thing to do as Classic Rock seemed to be repeating itself too often,

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 01 2009 at 15:42
Hi,

Too many of the "prog" boards and writings on the net are ... individuals with their own opinions ... and one thing they should do is get closer and hopefully put it all together into a major publication so we could aproach the strength of a Rolling Stone, or Melody Maker ... until then, I think that a lot of the music that we like will be ignored.

It doesn't help that the only thing that we can say about the music is that it does this and that ... like saying that all rap can have is a beat!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: December 01 2009 at 16:44
@those who mentioned Q

I still buy it occasionally but it's not the magazine it was. It celebrates mediocrity and tends to scoff at any mention of "progressive music".

-------------
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 02 2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by Citizen Erased Citizen Erased wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I still buy it occasionally but it's not the magazine it was. It celebrates mediocrity and tends to scoff at any mention of "progressive music".
I gave up on Q a few years ago when it started moving more towards mainstream pop and away from rock.

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: December 02 2009 at 09:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I gave up on Q a few years ago when it started moving more towards mainstream pop and away from rock.

I last bought Q in the early 1990s. They were always very dismissive of anything prog, and regarded most of the 70s as some sort of musical aberration before punk came along. The final straw came when they suggested in all seriousness that 80s Genesis was better than the 70s version.LOL

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: December 02 2009 at 10:25
Yeah, what also irritates me is that Porcupine Tree's last two albums got 3/5 and yet were both described as high quality prog records. If it's high quality, give it flipping 4 or 5.

-------------
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 02 2009 at 18:54
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I did not buy the magazine because I could not justify spending $25 on a magazine full of similar content to what I get online when I could spend that $25 on two new prog CDs.

That's also why I stopped buying it. The last time I saw it on the shelf at Barnes & Noble, I noticed their price "sticker" (they one they slap on the plastic over the bar code) and I stumbled away in sheer horror. I'd rather drop five clams on Bass Player or something.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:20
Classic Rock and its Prog offshoot are by far my favourite music mag. Unlike a lot of others, they cover ALL kinds of rock, from 70s classics, to prog, to metal. Not just the latest trendy poser bands and emo stuff, like a lot of other mags do. Unfortunately, it seems trendy in the music media to bash prog, and treat punk like the second coming. 

I hate Rolling Stone with a vengeance. It's all mainstream pop these days, and they dismiss anything which is prog (they gave a Rush collection a 2 out of 5 recently, which angered me. Although they did give a 4 star review to the new PT album). 

Classic Rock has turned me on to numerous bands (I never would have discovered Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Transatlantic, or Opeth without them), and I enjoy their articles a lot. The only thing that makes me balk is the price. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:26

Yeah, what also irritates me is that Porcupine Tree's last two albums got 3/5 and yet were both described as high quality prog records. If it's high quality, give it flipping 4 or 5.

That infuriated me as well. According to their ratings system, a 3/5 means 'good in its specific field, but not for everyone'. I think PT are at least as deserving of a bigger audience as, say, their current darlings Muse are. 

The mainstream media just selects a couple of darlings, like Kings of Leon, or Arctic Monkeys, or Green Day, or Muse (although I do quite like the latter); and ignores anything else. In fact, I was really surprised when freaking Rolling 'The Enemy' Stone reviewed the new PT at 4/5!

-------------

Posted By: patthemetaller
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:52
I buy both Classic Rock and Classic Rock presents Prog. Classic Rock presents Prog give me hours of interesting reading even if I can find plenty of info on the www.

If i compare the length of time it takes me to read both magazines, a reckon Fogon the Tyne has a point. Although I never really copped any increase in lists etc I found that I don't spend as much time reading Classic Rock cover to cover, whereas reading ..presents Prog provides hours of interesting reading.

-------------
\../

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 21:27
I may have to stop buying both Prog and the regular Classic Rock mag, though! They're very pricey! I may just get the Prog spinoff from now on. 

-------------

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 09:59
Being in America, it's completely woth $15 for me...love the articles and the packaging....I've discovered some great bands thanks to this magazine...Nosound, Gazpacho, Mostly Autumn, Long DIstance Calling...

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 20:00
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I last bought Q in the early 1990s. They were always very dismissive of anything prog, and regarded most of the 70s as some sort of musical aberration before punk came along. The final straw came when they suggested in all seriousness that 80s Genesis was better than the 70s version.LOL

Yeah. Most of the music press, except Classic Rock, pretend that nothing existed before the All Holy Sid Vicious and his cronies came along. Dead 

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 08:38
As for other mags, I like to read Paste, Mojo, Under The Radar...

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 09:56
The Wire from the UK occasionally has articles on more avant garde prog bands such as Nue and Amon Duul II. They recently had a feature on King Crimson which was suprisingly well done. 

-------------

Posted By: Sixes&Sevens
Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 07:20
I really really like Classic Rock Presents... Prog - although if I'm being BRUTALLY honest, I've been a little bit dissapointed with the cover mount CDs thus far.

Yeah it is pricey, but it's also quite a big magazine - loads of pages and there's generally quite a lot of reading in it - with some great coverage of a smattering of unsigned / upcoming acts as well, which is nice.

Good stuff I say!

-------------
A Torn Mind | Scottish Progressive Rock Band
www.atornmind.com
www.myspace.com/atornmindband

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sixes&Sevens Sixes&Sevens wrote:

I really really like Classic Rock Presents... Prog - although if I'm being BRUTALLY honest, I've been a little bit dissapointed with the cover mount CDs thus far.

yeah... it's like they've chosen every sh*tty English prog band and female fronted 'prog' band and tossed them on the CD.  Haven't been impressed with the CD's at all. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 18:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah... it's like they've chosen every sh*tty English prog band and female fronted 'prog' band and tossed them on the CD.  Haven't been impressed with the CD's at all.

I'm not sure which issue it was, but there was one track that I felt was really quite out of place. I listened on for a bit, trying to keep an open mind, but a still a little intrigued as to what constituted its inclusion. There wasn't really anything I felt made the music "progressive".

...other than a keyboard solo. And I thought:

Ah. Well... nothing like pandering to old stereotypes now, is there! Was he wearing a cape when he tracked that part as well?

I really don't want to sound like I'm relentlessly bashing into the track choices - after all, I'd be lying if I said that I ALWAYS loved every track that's included on, say, Rock Sound's covermounts... which just isn't true!

I guess it's still early days though isn't it. There's a lot of choice too - just look at all the sub-genres listed on the PA homepage!!!

Other than that - I'm a big fan, I've read about some cool new bands and I'm really glad there's a dedicated rag to cover this expansive genre!

-------------
www.atornmind.com

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:28
yeah...  what ever shots I take are generally at the nature of today's prog which is very rarely progressive.. and even stretching the limits of being 'prog' by genrefication (© Micky 2007)

Agreed on the magazine, it has been nice to read up on new bands... and even better to find all the errors about the old bands. Give them an A for effort at least... they've just covered the corporate flavors of the week too long to know that Richard Sinclair didn't play on every Caravan album. LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:47
Raff made a point... probably a controversial one.... but one I agree with nonetheless.. but sure others might disagree...

I think part of the problem with the CD's are they are naturally pushing English prog artists... the problem is this isn't the 70's anymore and the English prog scene is vastly inferior as a whole  to contemporary prog scenes in other countries.  It shows to me an attempt to connect with the core audience .. english speakers obviously... but at the same time an ignorance of the core audience.  Most prog fans care about the music... not understanding what is being sung...  and want superior music... and progressive music... and care not one iota if it is in english or not.

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 20:06

I think part of the problem with the CD's are they are naturally pushing English prog artists... the problem is this isn't the 70's anymore and the English prog scene is vastly inferior as a whole  to contemporary prog scenes in other countries. 
Exactly, the US is where the good music is. ;-)

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 07:31
Apparently Classic Rock Presents...Prog regularly achieves sales of over 50,000 copies. That's quite an achievement for a Prog-based mag that costs a ridiculous £8 and isnt sold in supermarkets.

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 08:09
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Apparently Classic Rock Presents...Prog regularly achieves sales of over 50,000 copies. That's quite an achievement for a Prog-based mag that costs a ridiculous £8 and isnt sold in supermarkets.

Does Progarchives often get a mention in it?

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 08:17
There was an interview with M@x a couple of issues ago, but then nothing more, I believe.

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 10:30

indeed... all in all it isn't that bad either.  Sure they could use a few SC's from here on staff who actually know the minutia of those groups... but for a bunch of corporate desk jockies.   Pretty good magazine LOL

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 08:23

indeed... all in all it isn't that bad either.  Sure they could use a few SC's from here on staff who actually know the minutia of those groups... but for a bunch of corporate desk jockies.   Pretty good magazine LOL

Tony, On the continent, it costs 15.15€, which is almost the double.

I believe that the mag does a lot of international salers too.

But I don't appreciate issue #6. much (only leafed through it so far)...... It seems that the mag is getting ever and ever more liberal about what they call prog

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 08:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But I don't appreciate issue #6. much (only leafed through it so far)...... It seems that the mag is getting ever and ever more liberal about what they call prog

Unfortunately, on the Continent the price of British magazines gets almost doubled by the dealers - even when the exchange rate is much more favourable to the Euro than it used to be. I know this because I used to buy other magazines (not dealing with music), and the story was always the same. Here it's 15 dollars, which - with the current Euro/dollar exchange rate - is less than the price in Euros.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Unfortunately, on the Continent the price of British magazines gets almost doubled by the dealers - even when the exchange rate is much more favourable to the Euro than it used to be. I know this because I used to buy other magazines (not dealing with music), and the story was always the same. Here it's 15 dollars, which - with the current Euro/dollar exchange rate - is less than the price in Euros.

It is very expensive which I think may ultimately lead to its downfall. I subscribe to it so it works out 25% cheaper at £6 an issue. I'm not sure for how long though as I think there's a far greater knowledge of prog here on PA than the writers of Classic Rock have.

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 16:15
I'm not too sure about that knowledge part actually. Many of those writers have been around since the early 80's, some longer than that.And while thay have been writing more on other topics over the years, metal and classic rock in particular, these are journalists who has been making a living writing about music for several decades.

That they choose to scrape the surface will most likely be due to the fact that they want the magazine to be read and to sell well - they are aiming for a wider audience than hardcore prog nerds after all ;-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 17:53
^Yes. The journos have been writing for rock mags for years. They know their stuff.

I may have to stop buying the regular Classic Rock, and just get Prog. It's very costly getting both. And i've noticed a worrying trend in Classic Rock recently, that they seem to be writing more and more about the salacious parts of the rock industry (Mick Wall's boasts), and less about the music, which is what I really care about reading about. 

So far, so good, with Prog magazine.

-------------

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 21:57
There was a time, many years ago, when I actually used to buy Q and Mojo here in the U.S.  Then one day, it hit me:  I could be buying a CD for the price I paid for the mag!  So that's when I quit buying them on any sort of regular basis.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 22:03
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

There was a time, many years ago, when I actually used to buy Q and Mojo here in the U.S.  Then one day, it hit me:  I could be buying a CD for the price I paid for the mag!  So that's when I quit buying them on any sort of regular basis.

Yeah, I'm coming to the same realisation myself. For the price of an issue of Prog or Classic Rock, I could be buying a new CD. So I don't get them every issue anymore. Only if there's a really good article in there. The newsagents usually seal them in big cardboard or plastic bags, though, so you can't flick through it and put it back on the shelf! LOL

-------------

Posted By: chowder
Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:22
if we love it, we try to afford it

-------------
Check out UK’s best online bingo gaming site...follow the link below:
http://wwwbingotime.co.uk/

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:39
I may be the odd man out, here, but I personally don't care much for it. I mean, any specific information I want to find out, I can find out here, and the regular members know more about all this stuff than the suits running that magazine. 

Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:54
What is interesting to note about that mag, is the fact that they are far more liberal than any fan site when it comes to describing what prog and prog-related is. A band like Manic Street Preachers for instance. Even among the liberal fans here few would describe them as having any prog relations whatsoever. And bands that barely made it into the database here are presented as full-fledged prog by this magazine.

It is fascinating to see the differences in opinion between people that have lived and breathed music for a living for many decades and fans when it comes to the perceptions of what can be described as prog music, that's for sure.

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:55
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I may be the odd man out, here, but I personally don't care much for it. I mean, any specific information I want to find out, I can find out here, and the regular members know more about all this stuff than the suits running that magazine. 

I agree with you, Micah, but you should also consider that the mag is targeted to people who may be relative newcomers to the genre, and do not necessarily know about the multitude of websites dedicated to prog.

Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:11
^ Well, exactly. But because of that, I think newcomers should be the ones buying it. Maybe there wouldn't be enough of them to support the mag, but it just seems kind of pointless for more seasoned Prog listeners to buy it. Especially when you take into consideration how 'out of sync' it tends to be with us at times. 

Ah well. I'm probably just being a grouch about it for no good reason. :p It IS cool to finally have press dedicated to Prog again. 

Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:22
Like it or not, without mags such as that one and artists like DT and PT, there would hardly be any recruitment at all to the genre as far as new fans goes :-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:26
^ As I already said . . . . for newcomers, it's great. For already-existing fans, not really worth it. Wink

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 04 2010 at 11:40
And even then, I find the proposition that young newcomers will shell out $15 for dead-tree media when $0 internet versions such as our collective selves exist a dubious one at best.

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 07:02
OK, yesterday I found the mag's latest issue (#6, if I'm not mistaken) at Borders in downtown DC. Since I had run out of reading material to keep me company during my commute back home, I bought it (and a cookbook I found for $4Wink!), and started browsing through it when I sat down to have some tea before my lesson started.

Unfortunately, I have to say this time I was positively underwhelmed - even if the central feature on 'prog art' is not a bad idea at all. The usual suspects covered (i.e. Mostly Autumn, Marillion, DT, PT, yadda yadda), the usual bloopers (omitting Thursaflokkurinn from a feature on Icelandic prog was unforgivable, and the guy who reviewed Jakko M. Jakszyk's The Bruised Romantic Glee Club had clearly not read the liner notes), a slew of reviews of albums chosen with heaven knows what criteria - and plenty of condescension towards non-British bands. In particular, some of the remarks included in the reviews of Jacula and Il Bacio della Medusa were unpleasantly patronizing. I am really not sure I'm going to part with more of my hard-earned cash in the future to get something so biased. 

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 14:18

OK, yesterday I found the mag's latest issue (#6, if I'm not mistaken) at Borders in downtown DC. Since I had run out of reading material to keep me company during my commute back home, I bought it (and a cookbook I found for $4Wink!), and started browsing through it when I sat down to have some tea before my lesson started.

Unfortunately, I have to say this time I was positively underwhelmed - even if the central feature on 'prog art' is not a bad idea at all. The usual suspects covered (i.e. Mostly Autumn, Marillion, DT, PT, yadda yadda), the usual bloopers (omitting Thursaflokkurinn from a feature on Icelandic prog was unforgivable, and the guy who reviewed Jakko M. Jakszyk's The Bruised Romantic Glee Club had clearly not read the liner notes), a slew of reviews of albums chosen with heaven knows what criteria - and plenty of condescension towards non-British bands. In particular, some of the remarks included in the reviews of Jacula and Il Bacio della Medusa were unpleasantly patronizing. I am really not sure I'm going to part with more of my hard-earned cash in the future to get something so biased. 

Raff, it is rare that we disagree on the forum, but I still really enjoy reading the magazine, although I do, of course, bow to your superior knowledge, certainly as regards prog outside the UK,

Have you considered writing to the magazine and let them know your feelings? The majority of them have been active rock journalists in the UK for many years. There are still some from Sounds heyday in the late 1970's! They pride themselves on understanding the genuine rock fan's point of view, and I am sure that they would listen to the type of constructive criticism you would have to offer.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 15:56

Raff, it is rare that we disagree on the forum, but I still really enjoy reading the magazine, although I do, of course, bow to your superior knowledge, certainly as regards prog outside the UK,

Have you considered writing to the magazine and let them know your feelings? The majority of them have been active rock journalists in the UK for many years. There are still some from Sounds heyday in the late 1970's! They pride themselves on understanding the genuine rock fan's point of view, and I am sure that they would listen to the type of constructive criticism you would have to offer.

sounds like they have spent far too long covering Guns and Roses.. Metallica or whatever band Classic Rock was sponsoring or trying to push to the public.   Bloopers have been a regular part... though a humorous one in pretty much every issue.   As I posted earlier...

they've just covered the corporate flavors of the week too long to know that Richard Sinclair didn't play on every Caravan album. LOL

they might be professionals...  good thing.. would hate to think what amateurs might write.  Can't blame them for the pro-English slant.. that is their core audience.  But probably know little about the current prog scene to realize that it isn't the 70's anymore and that English prog is miles behind other places in quality, quantity..  and innovation.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 18:19

I chopped off my own quotation because I hate quote pyramidsLOL. Anyway, Steve, thanks for the 'superior knowledge', which I don't really believe I have... The thing is, you enjoy the kind of prog they are pushing much more than I do, and you also have the opportunity to see those bands live if you want. However, my beef is not that they feature Marillion, Transatlantic, DT and PT every single issue - if that sells, I can understand why they do it, since they're not running a charity - but rather that they seem to dismiss other bands much too easily. And then, the content-wise, it has been going downhill for some time. I'd like to see many more reviews and less rather uninvolving features like the ones they had this time. I read practically the whole of the mag today, while going to work and then back home, and that had never happened before.

As to writing them, I've thought about it, but I believe I will pass this one up. You see, it's not the first time I see slurs against Italian prog (I subscribed to Classic Rock for a number of years, and bought every issue in the years before I decided to take out a subscription), and protesting would not change anything. They are steeped in prejudice, and losing one reader would not make any difference - especially one from a country they seem to despise so much. I just wonder why they don't avoid reviewing Italian prog, if they have such a poor opinion of it. They may be experienced reviewers (and I know that, since many of them used to review for Kerrang! in the Eighties), but they sure are experienced in alienating readers as well.

Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 13:43
I can see your points Raff, especially about being heavy on the type of prog that I particularly enjoy, although I do enjoy this site in particular, and the magazine to a lesser degree, for the opportunity to introduce me to new music.

Actually, my biggest beef about the mag is the propensity of the writers to still write about women in particular and drugs to a certain degree as if they are still in the 70's/80's - in other words women are just there as good looking symbols to ogle at for rather immature blokes and that taking copious amounts of coke or smack can be described as a rather fun lifestyle choice. In that sense, they are all (Barton, Dome, Wall et al) stuck in a ridiculous mysogenistic and immature timewarp.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 22:18
^I agree. I find that they write about the more salacious aspects of rock music, boasting about their conquests, and which rock stars they did drugs with back in the 70s, etc. I'd rather they wrote about the music, which is what I care about. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 14:27
New issue out today. A Peter Gabriel special. 

Posted By: Badabing666
Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 02:14
Thanks for letting us know Clap. I'll be going out to pick up my copy this morning.

-------------

Posted By: carlmarx38
Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 21:10

How do you feel about the reader and critics polls that PROG magazine has run thus far ?
         (i.e. BEST PROG ALBUMS OF ALL TIME (#2), and their readers poll from last issue on
          BEST ALBUMS OF 2009, BEST BANDS, ETC ?

here are my questions about these polls which is mostly stuff that  "just don't jibe" with PA's
         coverage of the scene :

1. WHO IS THIS BAND TOUCHSTONE, AND HOW DID THEIR ALBUM WINTERCOAST GET
                VOTED 4TH BEST DISC OF 2009 ?

2.  "MAGENTA" AS 4TH BEST BAND  ?

3. The critics poll for best of 2009 is nice but again, who are all these bands that you
              never hear mentioned on PA ?

BIGELF ? (what's up with that hat anyway ?)
                   CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX ? and who the hell is "DEVIL'S BLOOD"?

4.  And their reader's poll on BEST PROG ALBUMS OF ALL TIME :

a. Marillion's BRAVE is best Marillion album ?  (#14 out of 50, while
                     MISPLACED CHILDHOOD is #17)

b. SYSTEMATIC CHAOS by DT is voted #20 Prog album of all time !

c. I do like that IQ and Spock's Beard are in there (these bands have nothing
                    in PA's Top 100), although it trips me out that SNAKES AND ARROWS by
                       RUSH is voted higher than FAREWELL TO KINGS.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 08:47
How do I feel? It's the readers' votes, and they have the right to vote as they see fit. Obviously, I don't agree with practically any of the results, but if their main audience feels that way, more power to them. What I object to, as I said before, are other things - first of all, the patronizing attitude towards music coming from non-English-speaking countries, and then the less than informative content of some reviews.

As to the bands they cover, they're mainly from the UK, and this is the reason why they're pushing them so hard. ProgArchives is a very different entity, with an international membership and much broader outlook, so you should not be surprised by the differences. 

Posted By: Dean Watson
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 13:12
I have never even heard of this magazine until this thread.  Can you even get it in Canada?

-------------
Find me at:
http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/
www.soundcloud.com/dean-watson
http://www.cdbaby.com/Search/RGVhbiBXYXRzb24%3d/0

Posted By: carlmarx38
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 14:52

How do I feel? It's the readers' votes, and they have the right to vote as they see fit. Obviously, I don't agree with practically any of the results, but if their main audience feels that way, more power to them. What I object to, as I said before, are other things - first of all, the patronizing attitude towards music coming from non-English-speaking countries, and then the less than informative content of some reviews.

As to the bands they cover, they're mainly from the UK, and this is the reason why they're pushing them so hard. ProgArchives is a very different entity, with an international membership and much broader outlook, so you should not be surprised by the differences. 

THANKS DUDE.....THAT EXPLAINS WHY, IN THEIR COVERAGE OF THE ITALIAN SCENE,
            THERE PICK FOR BEST PFM ALBUM WAS CHOCOLATE KINGS, AND WHY THE
            ARTICLE ON FRENCH PROG DIDN'T EVEN MENTION HARMONIUM (HARMONIUM IS
              FRENCH RIGHT, OR AM I AN IGNORANT FOOL ?

P.S. - I LOVE FIRE OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN, AND BOC......BUT CULTASAURUS
                           ERECTUS IS THEIR MOST UNDER-RATED ALBUM !!!!!!!!

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 15:19
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

I'm a woman, not a dudeWink, and I love Cultosaurus Erectus as well (you can read my review if you like), though I chose Fire of Unknown Origin as avatar because of its artwork. However, be careful when posting all in capitals, since it's considered bad netiquette (i.e. shouting)Smile.

To answer the previous post, I know you can find the magazine in Canada, but it costs 25 dollars.

Posted By: MaxerJ
Date Posted: March 16 2010 at 05:33
I'm very impressed by Classic Rock Presents Prog. I expected it to be very condescending, and full of only the most popular prog rock bands, as you would expect from a mainstream magazine. Instead I got impressive articles, a surreal Wakeman column, and interviews with Ian Anderson and Comus! That's a win in anyone's books.

-------------
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito

Date Posted: March 16 2010 at 13:54
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

I'm very impressed by Classic Rock Presents Prog. I expected it to be very condescending, and full of only the most popular prog rock bands, as you would expect from a mainstream magazine. Instead I got impressive articles, a surreal Wakeman column, and interviews with Ian Anderson and Comus! That's a win in anyone's books.

Agreed, and I just LOVE that signatureClap

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 15:21
I got the new issue today. Main feature is a good interview with Gabriel, which concentrates virtually wholly on the new Scratch my Back LP, with a look at his solo career by associates and collaborators. There is also an interesting interview with Rabin, who will probably upset most purists, but I found it quite open & honest.

(BTW, there is a news story in there speculating about a Anderson, Waken, Bruford & Rabin LP).

Also featured is an interview with the newly solo Heather Findlay, a Twelfth Night feature, and a look at Dutch prog, amongst other features (haven't had time to read it all yet).

On first impression, those like me who enjoy the mag will continue to really enjoy this issue, but those who do not find it to their taste or eclectic enough will probably hold the same opinion.

-------------

Posted By: jacob s cracker
Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 15:45
Q was an amazing breath of fresh air when it started in the id 1980's. There was nothing available for music fans - NME was a pale shadow of it's former self, Melody Maker  ditto, Sounds defunct. Along came a nice glossy mag with stuff on all sorts of good stuff including the ground covered by those weeklies.

Sadly Q became reduced to a kind of 'chat show' mag, plugging artists with stuff to flog and lacking the in-cisive analysis that started it off. It's been superceded by Uncut and Mojo. But frankly there's not much left to write about in the mainstream any more and the daily papers do what's necessary in that field.

A specialist Prog mag sounds like a good idea. I think I saw issue #1 at the newsagent but was put off by the price - and I thought it was a 1-off special - a favourite form of rip-off. As it's a regular pub. I'm all interested again. Now Borders had popped it's clogs I'm not sure where to find it though. Can't say I've seen it in Smifts Unhappy

BTW I have about 70 early issues (between #1 and #100) of Q. ANyone want to make me an offer?

-------------
I wasn't there when I did it

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 18:14
I've really enjoyed the latest issue! Still to have a listen to the cover mount, but I liked the Peter Gabriel feature aswell as the articles on IO Earth, Panic Room and Heather Findley - all of which were interesting, IMO!

Well in on the North Atlantic Oscillation review as well - The band are from my neck of the woods so it's great to see them covered in it!

-------------
www.atornmind.com

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 19:15

Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

I'm a woman, not a dude

hahhhaa...   many years here..and many times mistaken.... and that never fails to crack me up...

-------------

Posted By: MaxerJ
Date Posted: March 25 2010 at 09:02

(BTW, there is a news story in there speculating about a Anderson, Waken, Bruford & Rabin LP).

Stern SmileStern SmileStern Smile

Also, we don't seem to get the new mags in Aus for ages... it's making me rage

-------------
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito

Posted By: Kojak
Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:22
Can this be got from all WHSmiths stores, does anyone know? Even though there is an interview with prog bands in the 'usual' version of Classic Rock (with Them Crooked Vultures on the cover), I take it, the prog version is different...???

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:28

Yes, all the WH Smiths should have it. Feel free to call Classic Rock's customer support for the nearest outlet to you. They are normally helpful. 

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:36
Cheers..

I just popped into Waitrose, but they only had the 'other' Classic Rock mag...

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:51
Try the railway station in Bath. For some reason, all WH Smiths at the railway stations have the magazines.

Date Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:59
Ok, I didn't know Bath Spa Station had a WHSmiths (it's very small and pathetic really), but the town certainly does. I'll try it tomorrow, thanks. 

Posted By: deathlifereborn
Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 05:47
Yeah they definatly have it in WH Smith, I have seen it in Tesco sometimes too but not any other supermarkets or anything its a rare commodity indeed Confused

-------------
'What happened to our innocence, did it go out of style'

Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 09:40
Got it!

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 15:27
Love this mag...have 6 of the first 7 issues (I missed #1)...looking forward to the new ELP issue...

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 16:24
^Same. I have all of the issues except for number 1. I love the mag. It's great they have the guts to put out a magazine dedicated to prog. 

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 17:31
...pity that the young never got to experience the great early 1970's issues of "Circus" and "Melody Maker" magazines!  

I was HUGELY into "Circus," they had fantastic articles about Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP etc.  Great photos too!   Lots of Tull, Wishbone Ash, and of course Zep, Deep Purple etc.  

See if you can find any in the library, the articles about "Larks Tongues In Aspic,"  "Close to the Edge" etc. were very good journalism as I recall.    

-Olde Prog Farte, soon to be 55 !

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 17:34
Would they be available on microfilm? They were talking about digitising old papers, making them available online. 

Posted By: Devonsidhe
Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by akajazzman akajazzman wrote:

Rock n Roll really has transcended the generations.  Imagine in 1969 reading/relating to something from 1929?   That’s the same time span from now back to 1969!  Amazing. 

OMGDead

-------------
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.

Posted By: Devonsidhe
Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by Devonsidhe Devonsidhe wrote:

Originally posted by akajazzman akajazzman wrote:

OMGDead

I've just realized I have gone from being my father to being my grandfather!

-------------
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 23:42
Originally posted by Kojak Kojak wrote:

Would they be available on microfilm? They were talking about digitising old papers, making them available online. 

If you want a kick, go to Ebay and enter "Circus magazine" into the search window, & then concentrate upon the photos of copies from the late 1960's to mid-1970's!!

You'll see how much press Yes, Tull, Crimson and other bands were getting back then!   Damn, I loved that magazine in its heydey!

When they got into Kiss & Van Halen, I subscribed to Guitar Player and started working on my chops.    

Check 'em out!   Also, I forgot about "Creem" magazine, another rag full of prog bands back then!  

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 09:02
I used to buy Creem mag, Circus, Ram mag and Rock just for the Kiss articles but i remember seeing pix of Ian Anderson and thinking who is that loon standing on one leg - now i am into Jethro Tull big time - how the tide has changed.... 
I remeber the mags were mostly black and white and not glossy but htey had colour sections, there were lots of photos of gene spittn g blood in these sections. they capitalised on the concert shots of the bands. Lots of Meatloaf articles i remember and a stack of Led zaeppelin. What mags!

Prog magazine is still the best thing to read regarding prog. the other mags just dont have enough prog. The exception is occasionally Mojo and Uncut or Classic Rock but it is sparsem very sparse.

I liked the prog mag with Gabriel and it really sparked my interest in him a lot more than i thought it would.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I used to buy Creem mag, Circus, Ram mag and Rock just for the Kiss articles but i remember seeing pix of Ian Anderson and thinking who is that loon standing on one leg - now i am into Jethro Tull big time - how the tide has changed.... 
I remeber the mags were mostly black and white and not glossy but htey had colour sections, there were lots of photos of gene spittn g blood in these sections. they capitalised on the concert shots of the bands. Lots of Meatloaf articles i remember and a stack of Led zaeppelin. What mags!

Prog magazine is still the best thing to read regarding prog. the other mags just dont have enough prog. The exception is occasionally Mojo and Uncut or Classic Rock but it is sparsem very sparse.

I liked the prog mag with Gabriel and it really sparked my interest in him a lot more than i thought it would.

Good chat!  

I rarely read MOJO, how much more can be said about Led Zep, Stones etc.?  I'll have to check out the new Prog mag!

Problem is, the Internet is so damn convenient, AND content is free, it is hard to break free to actually read something!!  

Funny you were into Kiss, I saw them once on US TV about 1974 in concert, when they were first starting out!  I was enthralled, applying costumes to hard rock (like Gabriel did to Prog).   Who would have thought that Kiss would have become such an enormous influence in rock music?  

I never did go to a Kiss show, but they helped drive the art of the huge concert experience forward for sure!  

Date Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:51
I sort of like MOJO....just bought my first issue (the one w/ Angus Young on the cover) after being a bookstore-flipper of it for years. Good article on Pavement...AC/DC too.

I hope the new ELP issue of Prog hits the US bookstores soon...

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 04:50
I heard there is a July issue for the High Voltage Fest and it should be out soon...???

Posted By: sgt wilko
Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 14:05
I missed the first few Prog mags, which have now become collectables as they're no longer available from the publishers. Took out a subscription and have the last 3 mags which i've really enjoyed. Loads of bands in there that I've never heard of but as someone posted before, - how many more items do we need on stones, ac/dc etc etc.
I still buy the odd Uncut or Mojo if there's something in there that takes the eye, but we've waited a long time for a quality mag that deals with prog.

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 14:10
Originally posted by sgt wilko sgt wilko wrote:

I missed the first few Prog mags, which have now become collectables as they're no longer available from the publishers. Took out a subscription and have the last 3 mags which i've really enjoyed. Loads of bands in there that I've never heard of but as someone posted before, - how many more items do we need on stones, ac/dc etc etc.
I still buy the odd Uncut or Mojo if there's something in there that takes the eye, but we've waited a long time for a quality mag that deals with prog.

Welcome to the forum. I think that you are confusing Classic Rock Presents Prog with its older sister publication, Classic Rock, which most certainly does have far too much on bands like the Stones, AC/DC & etc participating in drunken or drug induced orgies. None of that in Prog, though, or certainly not AC/DC or The StonesConfused

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 03 2010 at 14:32
Hi,

I would prefer that Dean and a couple of the folks here put together a nice historical thing that spent less time kissing a band and more time showing the evolution of the whole thing. And then publish it ... it probably would sell well, considering the base is already here in the board, but in the end, I think that it would show a lot more than just another fanzine out there ... and help cement the music a lot better.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk