Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62609
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 04:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which of these (pop) bands ?
Posted By: progrules
Subject: Which of these (pop) bands ?
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 14:26
I know it's a mixed bag but most of these bands are childhood (or recent) loves of mine and I believe some of them do even have progressive elements. That's why I chose these to present on this site. I wonder if there are more proggers who appreciate any of these bands. Please add comments.

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Replies:
Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 14:37
U2, despite the fact that they're repeating themselves. Neil Young and Dire Straits are also great, the rest I don't really care for.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 14:41
Difficult poll!

#1 Dire Straits
#2 Alice Cooper
#3 Neil Young
#4 Tears for Fears
#5 RHCP
#6 Ac/Dc

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 14:48
I am a fan of many of these bands.  I listened to the new Foreigner album Can't Slow Down today.  Chicago and Boston are both in the top echelon of my favorite bands.  After much consideration I decided to vote for Chicago. 

-------------

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 15:15
Dire Straits, we go way back, so to speak.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 15:26
Yes I've been in Dire Straits most of my life!

1 Neil Young = 'pop' ?
2 AC/DC
3 The Sweet : The first single I ever bought  (Don't listen to them though)
4 Some U2
5 Alice

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 15:28
U2. Achtung Baby is one of the best albums ever.

Posted By: Kim?
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 15:28
Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears is brilliant. I love it.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 15:34
Much as I really like Neil Young (and I don't think there's anyone whose music I have played more on the guitar and sung around campfires), I'm going with Alice Cooper, particularly for his debut, Pretties for You.  His work with the Muppets gives him added bonus marks. 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 16:03
I go for Toto... David Paich is one of the finest keyboard players I've ever heard... then, RHCP are pop... really...??? 

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 16:18
easy Toto my favourite band only topp class act musicians have playd in the band ecsept Byron who was terrible

i like Chicago, Dire Staits and Alice Cooper (pop?) i dont think Alice Cooper is pure Pop, more glam, psychadelic, shock, industrial, arena rock.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 16:19
Most of these are not Pop bands, but I'm a die hard Sweet Fan.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 17:29
Boston

-------------
Hi progmaniacs of all the world

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 17:49
Boston isn't "pop" by any stretch of the imagination, but their first album alone is worthy of my vote.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 22:56
I don't know how Neil Young is pop, but he's by far the best on the list.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: November 05 2009 at 23:39
Of those listed, the one I like and listen to most is Red Hot Chili Peppers.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 01:29
Alice Cooper and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - but I also don't catagorise them as "Pop". The Sweet, now there is a pop-band and a good one at that!

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: rpe9p
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 01:51
My friend told me RHCP actually started out as a prog band.  I'm undecided between the two cities

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 02:07
Ok, I will have to clarify here something: I'm afraid most of you are taking the term "pop" too literally. Music is pop for me if the bands/artists in question try to make hits or do so regularly. I know bands like Toto, Foreigner and Boston are AOR or the likes and U2 and RHCP are often mentioned alternative, whatever. If I would have to specify like that I wouldn't have a general term for all these bands/artists, now would I ? Ermm

By the way: I forgot about one important band: Guns 'n Roses (d*mn !)

-------------

Posted By: rpe9p
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 02:31
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Ok, I will have to clarify here something: I'm afraid most of you are taking the term "pop" too literally. Music is pop for me if the bands/artists in question try to make hits or do so regularly. I know bands like Toto, Foreigner and Boston are AOR or the likes and U2 and RHCP are often mentioned alternative, whatever. If I would have to specify like that I wouldn't have a general term for all these bands/artists, now would I ? Ermm

I think there are a lot of people on this site that just enjoy turning any thread into an argument about genre classification

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 02:38
I like a number of these bands, but it's hard for me to vote. I think I vote for Alice Cooper because they have released a number of excellent singles. Halo of Flies does not bother me even after 36 years.

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 02:48
From the list, Tears For Fears.

-Joel

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 04:17
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Alice Cooper and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - but I also don't catagorise them as "Pop". The Sweet, now there is a pop-band and a good one at that!

Sweet were a rock band.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 04:19
Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

I think there are a lot of people on this site that just enjoy turning any thread into an argument about genre classification

Nope. They are inaccurately described as pop bands, just pointing it out.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 05:00
Tears for Fears, followed closely by Alice Cooper and Boston.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 06:48
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Sweet were a rock band.
True but most people have only heard their Little Willy and Wig Wam Bam.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 06:51
Dire Straits, RHCP, Neil Young and AC/DC are all brilliant, I'll leave the question of their popness alone.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 08:26
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Giveusawink.jpg">File:Giveusawink.jpg

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 08:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Giveusawink.jpg">File:Giveusawink.jpg

ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 08:44
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sweet were a rock band.
True but most people have only heard their Little Willy and Wig Wam Bam.
I knowWink...and to be fair...they defintley did start out as a bubblegum type pop band...and ended their career rather popish to.Confused

-------------

Posted By: Kestrel
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 23:52
Tears for Fears. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Shout" are absolutely great songs.

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 01:52
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I think I vote for Alice Cooper because they have released a number of excellent singles. Halo of Flies does not bother me even after 36 years.

Still I think Halo of Flies is the stand out song and probably their most progressive one. But I also love Elected (so powerful and sheer childhood memories) and Poison.

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 01:56

Nope, he's right. People love to make arguments out of everything they can find. And try to beat the other guy Wink. Doesn't matter, if that's your kind of fun, so be it.

-------------

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 06:30
Neil Young by a country mile, followed by RHCP and U2.

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 06:37

Nope, he's right. People love to make arguments out of everything they can find. And try to beat the other guy Wink. Doesn't matter, if that's your kind of fun, so be it.

Nope he wrong. I just wanted to point out  that its not pop. Why should I let a mistake just lie?

-------------

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 06:41
Sweet

Desolation Boulevard,Sweet Fanny Adams,Give Us A Wink and Level Headed are all excellent albums. The album version of 'Love is Like Oxygen' has a very proggy section in the middle...I think that is what is called the bridge. In fact,the album versions of Sweet's singles were/are far superior.A fine example is 'Action'. The intro with it's bubbling synths is absent on the single.Another example is 'Fox on the Run'.The album version has a storming guitar solo on it that is nowhere to be seen/heard on the single.

Sweet were a very good 'pop' band singles-wise but were a far better 'rock' band when it came to their albums.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 06:53
Tears For Fears is the only one I have in my collection and of that just their first two.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 06:59
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Sweet

Desolation Boulevard,Sweet Fanny Adams,Give Us A Wink and Level Headed are all excellent albums. The album version of 'Love is Like Oxygen' has a very proggy section in the middle...I think that is what is called the bridge. In fact,the album versions of Sweet's singles were/are far superior.A fine example is 'Action'. The intro with it's bubbling synths is absent on the single.Another example is 'Fox on the Run'.The album version has a storming guitar solo on it that is nowhere to be seen/heard on the single.

Sweet were a very good 'pop' band singles-wise but were a far better 'rock' band when it came to their albums.
  and Air On 'A' Tape Loop Approve

the full version of Oxygen

the funky Deep Purplesque 'Healer':

-------------
What?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 08:12
I voted for Tears for Fears, purely because Shout, Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Mad World made the 80's marginally less wretched than they would have been otherwise. Also, Sowing the Seeds of Love is a great album (yes I know it's a transparent love letter to the Beatles psychedelia, but a skilled and affectionate forgery for all that)

The only other name on the list that struck a chord was Alice Cooper, who was perhaps the most entertaining of the 'Hanna Barbarians' that inhabited the 70's (but Arthur Brown should really sue Mr Furnier methinks)

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:16
Overall, U2. Acthung Baby is a Top 10 90s album no doubt.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:19
I'm so pleased to see all this Sweet loving!Approve

-------------

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:41

I grew up with the Chili Peppers. I even rate them higher than any prog band if I'm honest.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:48
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

1 Neil Young = 'pop' ?
2 AC/DC
4 Some U2
5 Alice

Neil Young as 'pop' struck me as funny as well.

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 14:08
I'm in a U2 mood lately so I voted for them. They were one of my favourite bands when I was a teenager and I still like them a lot, although I'm not a big fan of the last two albums but they still have some great songs. Achtung baby was an amazing album and one of the best of the 90's, thei experimental period was their best for me.
I also like Alice Cooper a lot, but he's not pop at all in my opinion. I also listen to some Toto and Tear for fears stuff.

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 14:23
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

1 Neil Young = 'pop' ?
2 AC/DC
4 Some U2
5 Alice

Yes well there seems to be a lot of questionmarks over pop or not pop.  But Neil Young struck me as odd just because the cantankerous old bugger never struck me as one who would chase the dollar .  Rather he does what the fk he wants!  Maybe stepping on the toes of pop occsionally but never really holding its hand! 

Big smileIf you describe him as pop then there are a lot of so called prog artists in danger of that fate too!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Xanthous
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 14:49
Of the list, my favorites are Chicago and Neil Young. I don't know a few of the others and I don't like a few.

Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 13:13

1 Neil Young = 'pop' ?
2 AC/DC
4 Some U2
5 Alice

Yes well there seems to be a lot of questionmarks over pop or not pop.  But Neil Young struck me as odd just because the cantankerous old bugger never struck me as one who would chase the dollar .  Rather he does what the fk he wants!  Maybe stepping on the toes of pop occsionally but never really holding its hand! 

Big smileIf you describe him as pop then there are a lot of so called prog artists in danger of that fate too!

Heart of Gold was a real pop song, a very good one but it was made to be a hit and then it's pop (= popular for the wide audience). Pop is not always cheesy.
And of course he's not a pop artist, I know that Wink as are most of the other artists/bands but all of them made at least one popsong that made the charts. Am I clear now ? Sleepy

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 13:26
Did anyone watch How I Met Your Mother last night?  Barney kept referring to Neil Young as "that old woman".

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 16:55

1 Neil Young = 'pop' ?
2 AC/DC
4 Some U2
5 Alice

Heart of Gold was a real pop song,

Was it? Not in my opinion and which is UFo's and AC/DC's pop songs?

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 17:29
Tears for Fears and U2 are the bands i could say i really like, i enjoy some Dire Straits songs, but don't listen to them that much.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 17:49
Henk, I guess you mean popular bands (the term pop resembles to the genre in my books)

Lots of favourites there, Toto, Gary Moore (early stuff). UFO, AC/DC

I will go with UFO Tongue

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 17:56
I do like pretty much all of U2's hits although I haven't looked too deeply into their actual albums. They get my vote unless the Neil Young option includes his time with Crosby Stills and Nash.

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 19:04

I know it's a mixed bag but most of these bands are childhood (or recent) loves of mine and I believe some of them do even have progressive elements. That's why I chose these to present on this site. I wonder if there are more proggers who appreciate any of these bands. Please add comments.
Yeah, Christopher Cross' "Arthur's Theme" with those familiar prog elements. . .Dead Why didn't you include The Osmonds while you were at it?

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: November 30 2009 at 00:55
Tears for Fears, they were my favorite band for years before I got into progressive rock and Yes replaced them.

Posted By: Lost Follower
Date Posted: December 01 2009 at 04:34
All dreadful bar 3. And who on earth voted for Toto?!

-------------
~Jump you f**ker jump~

Posted By: StrangerByTheMinute
Date Posted: December 02 2009 at 01:36
Boston are awesome!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk