Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62649
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 07:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Early Alan Parsons Project
Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Subject: Early Alan Parsons Project
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 19:25
Alan Parsons Project is a band that always released good albums, Prog or not Prog.

Even if the album was weak, the fantastic production and the amazing orchestral arrangements by Andrew Powell, left any flaw behind.

But this is a Prog forum, so I will go with their 3 Prog albums.

1. The sober and dark Tales of Mystery and Imagination
  2. The almost electronic I Robot
  3. Or the borderline mainstream Pyramids.
Iván

PS: I go with Pyramids, the fantastic "What Goes Up" and the even better "In the Lap of the Gods" with full orchestra are too strong.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 19:59
I like Tales... the most, though I Robot comes close, and I also really like Pyramids.  Actually, although my initial reaction is to vote for Tales..., I've always had a soft spot for I Robot.  Damned fine albums, I think.  I haven't listened to any of them in some years, though.   My I Robot LP, amongst many others, suffered from a flood, but I may have it on cassette somewhere along with Tales.  I pretty much memorized the music, anyway.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 20:30
Tales Of Mystery And Imagination is pretty much the only APP album I find worthy. I used to listen more to these albums three-four years ago, and especially liked Eye In The Sky, but these days I'm simply not interested anymore.

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 20:37
I Robot, plenty of strong moments on it.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 20:48
Excellent and very difficult question Ivan

I have to say I like all of them quite a lot. Tales... was the last one to explore but I was expecting more. Pyramid has several good tunes, In the Lap of the Gods is trully amazing and my favourite from that record. I guess I have to go with I Robot even if it is a marginal difference...

PS I find the Turn of a Friendly Card a very good album

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 20:50
It is a tough call between Tales and I Robot, but in the end I guess I choose Tales. I find both album really excellent with lots of strong moments. Pyramids is a rather weak album for me, except for the excelent In the Lap of the Gods and the beautiful The Eagle will Rise Again.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 21:23
Tales of Mystery and Imagination for me.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 21:54
Tales or Robot are a tossup.  Both are excellent and still warrant play time today.  Pyramids I always felt was their weakest album until Gaudi.

This time its Robot

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 22:18
I Robot is my favorite, but these are all good.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 06 2009 at 22:28
I was just listening to Tales yesterday - the newer remixed version with more Orson Welles' narration and added lead guitar.  Sounds fantastic and I was getting into it more than usual, maybe because I could listen to Orson talk for hours.  So Tales gets the vote.  Traditionally, I Robot has been my favorite, but I also recently listened to Pyramid and find it a very good album, in some ways better than I Robot.  All are great in my book.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 00:04
I like Tales of Mystery and Imagination the most.  I also love I-Robot, but thought Pyramids wasn't very good at all.  I also liked Turn of a Friendly card a lot...

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 02:53
All three, with a plus on I robot

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 07:04
Parson hit the scene with his best effort, something not many bands (musicians) do. Usually there is an evolution of their music to a point where the creative well becomes dry and the downhill coast begins. Parson took his long ride down the hill from the beginning. Tales was a fantastic effort, at the time and still to this day.
Everything after that was fair to un-listenable.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:11
Tales of Mystery and Imagination is my favourite by far.

-------------

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:19
(Hi Ivan, how's it going?)

Of these three, it was undoubtedly Tales that I prefer ... but actually my favourite Alan Parsons album is Turn of A Friendly Card ... even the pop/rock songs are good, and there are some unbelievably beautiful melodies in the title track and Nothing Left To Lose

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 09:11
Tales by far.  I Robot is uneven (which can be said of nearly all APP albums except for Tales) and Pyramid is more bad than good.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 09:18
I've not heard Pyramids, so I wont vote, but I like the other two, I Robot being my favourite of the two. I like the elctronic feel and the strong melodies. The only other APP album I've heard, is the later 'Turn of a freindly card' which has its moments.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 09:38
This is the easiest poll ever. From a consistency standpoint, "Tales ..." blows away anything APP ever did. The others have a few great songs, but "Tales ..." is quality all the way through.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: November 07 2009 at 12:44
Voted for Tales .... But I like Pyramid as well, some moments are very nice, but some - too pop oriented

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 10:25
I Robot

I liked Tales too, but thought Pyramid was poor. 

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 13:32
I like all three, but I Robot wins the poll for me.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 14:00
So, Tales won? But they all are not bad at all!

Posted By: Camel_APPeal
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

So, Tales won? But they all are not bad at all!

Yup, there's no surprise Tales would win (by a considerable margin) in any Prog poll, although it would've been interesting to see how Turn Of A Friendly Card would do in such a poll.

Anyway, pop or not, I love every APP album Big smile

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 19:12
my APP top 3 would include both Tales of Mystery and Imagination and Pyramids but both would be trailing The Turn of a Friendly Card.  Tales over Pyramids here, but not by much.

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 19:38
I Robot - was the first album that introduced me to Alan Parson's Project. I like the other two as well, and though Pyramid is oft maligned, I personally think this is a good album overall.

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: November 09 2009 at 02:22
Tales... is the best  APP album ever for me, though I Robot is extremely good too.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 09 2009 at 11:05
I Robot is my favorite by far.  The other two are nice though.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk