Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63340
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bands That Can Do No Wrong
Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Subject: Bands That Can Do No Wrong
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:40
I decided not to have a life this afternoon and for some reason got hooked on youtube watching Rush videos. Now, I'm no Rush fanatic but I went through a Rush stage around 2112 and this lasted until Exit stage left, well no the Signals album and I've also seen them about 6 or 7 times. After watching everything from Garden Road from Caress Of Steel to Far Cry from Snakes and Arrows I could relate to all the Rush heads that are here. 

I guess Jethro Tull is the band that can do no wrong for me since they have been at it since I started listening to all this wacked out music back in the early 70s. I have every tull album and actually listen to the less popular albums more than say, Minstrel, Aqualung or TAAB. Among my faves are J.Tull.Com, Roots To Branches and Heavy Horses althpough I can listen to the whole JT catologue sraight through ! Yes man, every single track Big smile .

So I pose this solemn question : 

What' s the band that can do no wrong for you?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:46
Led Zeppelin. Every second of Zeppelin music is a ***** experience for me, including the lamest bootleg!

Also, most of the solo discography of the former Zeppelin members is very rewarding for me.

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:51
I wish I could say Pink Floyd, but I don't like The Division Bell at all.

Tool possibly is one of the only bands that I enjoy all music from (they don't have the biggest discography thoughTongue).

-------------

Posted By: papaatto
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:54
King Crimson, no question there.
Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree,  and The Decemberists without a doubt as well
Camel from '74 to '81
The Moody Blues from '67 to '72
Gentle Giant from debut to '77
Genesis up to and including Duke
Yes up until  and including Going for the One
All of Pink Floyd

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:57
A year ago I would've said pain of Salvation, I'd never heard a song by them i didn't absolutely love... Till Scarasick. I love the album, but two of the songs are just unlistenable. Aside from that though I've never heard something from them that was bad. Oh and Tool of course, very consistent

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 14:58
Esbjörn Svensson Trio.

They scaled up to masterliness with each work (or maybe starting after the early period), nevertheless I can definitely think of them as the spotless of all the bands I love.

side-note: there is Esbjorn's Layers Of Night (with Nils Landgren) that's shockingly irregular, but that's not Trio accountable.

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:00
There's no such a band for me.

-------------

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:19

Other than maybe Led Zeppelin, I honestly can't say that there is a band that has a discography greater than 5 or so albums that hasn't released at least one sub-par album.  Also, it's cheating just to include certain eras, because you might as well say that this band did no wrong on one particular album.

Posted By: mattuati
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:20
Mr. Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Kaada, Jeff Martin, Pain of Salvation, Fantomas, Bumblefoot, 

-------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:23
Yezda Urfa? 

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:33
Univers Zero comes to mind - 8 albums and all of them are at least good if not excellent.
Magma is one album off.
Opeth pretty much qualifies (I don't love Orchid, but it's not bad)
The Mars Volta, definitely.

Plus, probably a bunch of other bands which released 3 or less albums, but disbanded before a decline in quality.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 15:53
Tool and Led Zeppelin are two bands that in my eyes can do absolutely no wrong.

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 16:03
The legendary 70's French bands Komintern, Red Noise and especially Barricades.

Posted By: Andy Gilmour
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 16:08
Eberhard Weber...although he's not strictly a "band" per se.

Otherwise, nope. Massive Tull fan that I am, there are albums I can happily skip.

Same goes for Crimson and Pink Floyd...

Ah, the decadent luxury of hyper-criticality

:-)

-------------
"The wise man...proportions his belief according to the evidence" (David Hume)

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 16:13
King Crimson, I like every album by them.

Gentle Giant also, 8 great albums and I even think the more "commercial" ones are decent.

Transatlantic, though they only have 3 albums

Spock's Beard w/ Neal Morse

Porcupine Tree, not all albums are great but I like something from all of them, and a few are masterpieces

Miles Davis pretty much until his last few albums where he was trying to keep up with the times and produce "social music", as he called it... c'mon Miles! We like your anti-social music much better, give me Bitches Brew! :P But yeah, the man has so much music and most of it is good.

Hell, The Beatles, I like every album by them now...

Edit: I have to add Echolyn (every album is solid)

I bet there's more than this too, but it depends on how strict a definition you put on, "can do no wrong".

To the OP: What about Under Wraps, isn't that album a bit "wrong"? :P

Posted By: meatal
Loved a lot of bands but the only one for me that never seemed to let me down was, Fates Warning.

-------------
The bitter harvest of a barren land, I'm painting pictures you don't understand.
(Fates Warning)

Posted By: Darklord55
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Miles Davis up until and including The Man With The Horn
Riverside

Posted By: theBox
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 16:59
That's easy...The Flower Kings
                        AnglagardLOL
                        Wobbler
                        Mastodon
                        Tool
                         And Also the Trees

-------------

Posted By: Guitar1Jesse
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 17:12
Pink Floyd for me.  

-------------
Take a few minutes and listen to this!
http://www.myspace.com/jlangmusic

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 17:52
As a major Tull-skull since 1978, I can agree with you on that one, Baby.  Other artists for me would include Yes, Steve Hackett, Mike Oldfield, Steeleye Span - all old favorites of mine.  Of course, I do say that with some qualification: nobody is perfect, and an artist's output is going to variate over time, so not everything will be top quality, but for these, it's all good.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: LandofLein
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 17:53
Mastodon
Tool
maudlin of the Well

but all of those bands only have 4 albums each

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:01

If we're talking albums taken as a whole rather than every song them Echolyn and Anekdoten spring to mind.

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:12
Rush
Henry Cow
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Kraftwerk
Ozric Tentacles

-------------

Posted By: Tsevir Leirbag
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:23
- Harmonium
- Van Der Graaf Generator
- Sloche
- Anglagard
- Conventum
- Univers Zero
- Art Bears
- Present
- Henry Cow
- Pink Floyd (except Division Bell and Momentary Lapse, I hate those)

-------------
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:36
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

- Harmonium
- Sloche
- Anglagard
- Conventum
- Univers Zero
- Art Bears
- Present
- Henry Cow

The topic is bands that can do no wrong. LOL

Anyway, I agree with you and MovingPictures.

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:43
There is no such a band for me, unless we count bands with very small discographies such are Khan, Dun, etc.

Hmm...Kraftwerk comes close. But I haven't heard 'Electric Cafe' though.

EDIT: Oh,. I forgot Atoll and The Pentangle.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:47
The one band that didn't disappoint me once the last five years is Riverside and this years record (ADHD) is another triumph of great music.
Another band that is slowly becoming one of my favorites of all time is Phideaux, and this years album Number Seven is such a consistently good follow up to Doomday Afternoon that I will get their next album for sure.

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:51

I think some of you are missing the point, if you think some of their albums or even some parts of their albums are just OK then they're not eligible. So I'm surprised to see so many people saying TMV and PT. Do you guys really think that the 4 minute intro to L'Via and Voyage 34 are good?

I've never heard John Coltrane or Fred Frith do anything bad, but I have trouble believing that they never had a bad improvising night, so I guess they don't actually count. I'm not much into unconditional love anymore, and I don't think bands that only have 4 releases should count. I really like all 3 of Aranis' albums, but that doesn't mean I declare my unconditional love for them.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 18:54
Oceansize's discography is pretty much flawless so far.
They aren't my favourite band though - my faves actually are almost bipolar (do great and awful songs).

-------------
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:05
Opeth have never, ever disappointed me. Even Orchid, their debut, is not bad. Just not as great as what was to come later. 

Porcupine Tree, I'm such a fanboy that they haven't let me down yet. I enjoy all of their albums.

I'll add to the list of Zeppelin fanboys. I love everything by them, even the controversial last two studio albums Presence and In Through The Out Door.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:15
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

There is no such a band for me, unless we count bands with very small discographies such are Khan, Dun, etc.

Hmm...Kraftwerk comes close. But I haven't heard 'Electric Cafe' though.

EDIT: Oh,. I forgot Atoll and The Pentangle.

Electric Cafe is actually quite good; I personally love it.

-------------

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:24

I'm going to have to go with, there ain't no such animal. I used to be like that with Deep Purple in the early to mid 70's until...Who Do We Think We Are?  That kind of soured things a bit.

Posted By: papaatto
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 20:48
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I think some of you are missing the point, if you think some of their albums or even some parts of their albums are just OK then they're not eligible. So I'm surprised to see so many people saying TMV and PT. Do you guys really think that the 4 minute intro to L'Via and Voyage 34 are good?

I've never heard John Coltrane or Fred Frith do anything bad, but I have trouble believing that they never had a bad improvising night, so I guess they don't actually count. I'm not much into unconditional love anymore, and I don't think bands that only have 4 releases should count. I really like all 3 of Aranis' albums, but that doesn't mean I declare my unconditional love for them.

I have't listened to Voyage 34 [it's one of the very few PT releases I do not posses, though] I honestly can say, though that I like every bit of music on all 5 of The Mars Volta's studio albums, including the ambience on Frances, Tourniquet Man, and the silence at the beginning of Octahedron.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 21:30
The closest for me is Pink Floyd, though some of the first albums have moments I could skip.

Posted By: The Block
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by mattuati mattuati wrote:

Pain of Salvation, 
Most of their stuff is awesome, but have you listened to Scarsick???????????

Just wonderingLOL

-------------
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Posted By: Tsevir Leirbag
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 22:17
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

- Harmonium
- Sloche
- Anglagard
- Conventum
- Univers Zero
- Art Bears
- Present
- Henry Cow

The topic is bands that can do no wrong. LOL

Anyway, I agree with you and MovingPictures.

You do have to agree with me, or I will hate you. Angry

LOL

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Oh,. I forgot Atoll

Good call! Clap

-------------
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 22:20

I heavily second this. Besides, people are taking this topic off its tracks from the very first page! Come on, it is not about  how in some period in time the band/artist was good, it is about bands/artists that YOU THINK NEVER RELEASED ANYTHING BAD OR AVERAGE!

Come on, everybody!

Back to the OP's question, I gotta say Pink Floyd. I have never come across a bad release by them. Really! I love all studio albums (every one of them), all live releases I have seen (official and bootlegs) and most specials/best of/etc. There is an endless amount of PF releases, but none that I have is anything near average.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 22:23
Planet X

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 23:00

Seconded (unconditionally)

Turning the thread title on its head for the sake of stimulating discussion, as Henry states, surely it implies that we are hopelessly prejudiced towards our true prog love(s) ? - apart from those 'one night stands' with artists with tiny discographies. (Pronounce that carefully please)

-------------

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 23:07

No wrong?  None of those left...never were.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Tubthumper
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 23:43

Well, since I'm not the kind of proghead who's only listening to prog, my "no-fail" bands belong more to the pop/rock universe (that's where I began my musical journey).

dada (and all things related...)
Chumbawamba
The Smithereens
Megadeth (Yeah, I'm a fan of this thing called Risk.)
Blackfield
Echolyn
Sloche

-------------
Tried to make your face from a broken Ferris wheel.

Posted By: Fio
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 23:47
Opeth!

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: December 04 2009 at 23:59
Magma is the closest for me... If it weren't for Merci.

-------------

Posted By: Asphalt
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 00:13
I can think of at least four:

King Crimson (some stuff is better than other, but there isn't one album that I don't find at the very least interesting and enjoyable)

Mastodon (so far so good; they've yet to disappoint)

Opeth (took me a while to get into Ghost Reveries, but now it's all good)

Pain of Salvation (yes, I have listened to Scarsick... numerous times actually; I don't get the hate for that album)

And probably a handful more that in my view have successfully experimented with music on each and every album up until now (and thus give me no reason they could go wrong in the future).

Posted By: ProgShine
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 00:33
For me is definitely QUEEN, even the 'worst' albums I like, listen, sing along etc

Even 'Hot Space' their 'worst album ever'.

My favorite band, and the closer thing to my 'fan side' Tongue

-------------
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 00:38
Maudlin Of The Well, Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, Sigur Ros and The Waterboys still haven't had a truly dull moment for me.

-------------

Posted By: Cygnus X-3
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 00:49
For me it would have to be Genesis from Tresspass to their self titled and not much after that. Also, King Crimson from '69-'74 and '95-now.

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 01:11
Keeping this in the spirit of how the OP put it, I'm going to say The Residents, for me.  The OP talks about being such a devout Tull fan that he loves the material that he knows he probably shouldn't.  This will go for me with the Rez.  As possessor of all 80 plus recordings, I can earnestly say I'm there for it all.  Even albums like Bad Day on the Midway, which is my least favorite, I will listen to and see what's good about it, feel a good sense of what they were trying to do.  I know how much this sets off alarms of blind, dogmatic fanboyism.  I prefer to think of it as being humbled before musicians who have transformed my engagement with the world of sound enough for me to trust that they'll continue to push me.  Or, perhaps this just indicates that I've joined a cult.

Frank Zappa would be another close contender, but I don't know some of the late 1980s/early 1990s works, where it feels like it all gets a more iffy, which would be an instant disqualifier.  

Outside of prog, I might say Robyn Hitchcock (hey, I'm putting myself on the line here listing three musicians with a huge catalog of music, no tiny discographies here), and, less questionably, XTC.

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 01:13
i think if FISH never left MARILLION or GENESIS continued on their 70's direction,these would be the bands for me...

now,my option would be a couple of art/prog metal bands like SYMPHONY X and SHADOW GALLERY...
i love their sound and not a single release by them dissapointed me...Excellent and imaginative stuff from their very first album!

Posted By: ko
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 01:13
Family
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-vQ-gAY08 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-vQ-gAY08

Posted By: Jake Kobrin
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 02:07
Ulver...

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Neil-Kobrin/244687105562746" rel="nofollow - SUPPORT MY FATHER AND BECOME A FAN

Jacob Kobrin Illustration

Posted By: Kim?
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 02:56
I've yet to hear a non-superb moment of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. And also Daniel O'Sullivan things - Mothlite, Guapo, Miasma & The Carousel of Headless Horses, Æthenor, Grumbling Fur - he certainly has the Midas touch.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 03:21
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

There's no such a band for me.

Ditto. As much as I tried to think of the perfect band discography, it just hasn't happened. I am hard to pressed to think of at least one band who has not produced a "dud" album amongst their repetoire. I noticed previous posters have said they like so and so up until... or not including... proves my point really! Wink

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 03:25
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I can listen to the whole JT catologue sraight through ! Yes man, every single track Big smile .
So I pose this solemn question : 
What' s the band that can do no wrong for you?

Even though it may not seem "cool" to admit this to the outside world, I totally agree with you!

Yes, Genesis and a few others may have made more brilliant albums, but I play TULL more often than any other prog band - always with great pleasure, and this goes for most of their catalogue! (Although I've never bothered to buy some of their weaker albums, such as A, and I certainly don't intend to get the JT XMAS ALBUM.)

Other bands that can do no wrong: Caravan, the Hatfields, National Health.
In jazz: Eberhard Weber, Ralph Towner, Gary Burton, Dave Holland!

Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 03:27
Sorry - I update the post above: Caravan, not Camel.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 04:48
There's only one band for me who reached that reputation. IRON MAIDEN. I've liked all their studio albums and official live recordings since I was eleven years old. I don't listen to the last two studioalbums, but that's because of the fact I don't own a vinyl version and I think I have enough material listening to the other 12 albums.

Furthermore classic Deavid Allen's Gong is always very nice and I love everything made by Dutch cabaratier Wim Sonneveld.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 05:30
Any band can do wrong for me, but Pink Floyd comes closest. I don't think that they did anything really wrong in their entire discography, which doesn't mean that I would give all their albums a 5-star rating - I think only four or five of them.

-------------

Posted By: DangerousCurves
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 05:34

Riverside and Kopecky are the ones for me. They may have only produced four albums apeice  but they are all super, in my opinion.

I haven't heard all of Pink Floyd yet so I am unable to include them, even though everything of theirs' I have heard I have enjoyed (yes, even Seamus!).

King Crimson may be my favourite band but I cannot say that all their tracks are 'right'.

Posted By: Rune2000
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 06:15
In my opinion only three bands have so far managed to have high quality output during their entire careers:
- Cardiacs
- Gentle Giant
- King Crimson

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 07:03

Do you guys really think that the 4 minute intro to L'Via

yes. it's the more recent TMV stuff that sucks ;p

and Voyage 34 are good?

ahahahahaha this guy

here's a list of bands that can do no wrong:
Art Bears

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: bsms810
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 07:06
Opeth have been in the business for fair while now even thought they are considered a modern band, and for me they just dont release weak albums... therrfore i have to go OPETH!!!!

-------------
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 07:18
Oh goody, a thread to bring out the rampant fanboyism present in too many members of this site, cos sh*t, we need more of these.

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 07:18
Zappa even stuff like Jazz from hell & Lumpy Gravy is still great.
King Crimson
Brian Eno
The Mars Volta Embarrassed
Miles Davis
Sigur Ros
Various Mike Patton projects

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Asphalt
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 07:52
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Oh goody, a thread to bring out the rampant fanboyism present in too many members of this site, cos sh*t, we need more of these.

We don't really need anything, matter of fact Smile We don't even need this website and probably not even food and water, cos sh*t, who cares about anything anyway, right? But we do it anyway Tongue So why not sit back, enjoy the ride, contribute your thought, make this thread meaningful if you consider it isn't or move along? There's plenty of non-fanboyism and even bashing on other threads.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 09:09

I decided not to have a life this afternoon and for some reason got hooked on youtube watching Rush videos. Now, I'm no Rush fanatic but I went through a Rush stage around 2112 and this lasted until Exit stage left, well no the Signals album and I've also seen them about 6 or 7 times. After watching everything from Garden Road from Caress Of Steel to Far Cry from Snakes and Arrows I could relate to all the Rush heads that are here. 

I'm definitely not a Rush head, but when I saw the title of your post Rush was the one band that popped instantly into mind.  Not quite my style of music, but they very rarely let you down.

-------------

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 09:41
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Zappa even stuff like Jazz from hell & Lumpy Gravy is still great.
But those Flo & Eddie years aren't exactly inspiring...

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: TheWheelBearer
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 09:42
Transatlantic
Henry Cow
Present
Happy the Man
Soft Machine

Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 10:31
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

I'm definitely not a Rush head, but when I saw the title of your post Rush was the one band that popped instantly into mind.  Not quite my style of music, but they very rarely let you down.
i was just about to say, Wow! Nobody has mentioned Rush yet !Shocked 

I can listen to every GG album as well and, as someone mentioned earlier even the the three last ones. Also, Crimson. I can find something interesting in every single album. I'm even a sucker for the collectors series. 
unconditional love ? Not if you,re talking about bands like Triumvirat or Genesis. i think Triumvirat nullified anything they did that was great with that Russian Roulette catastrophe. 

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 12:56
The original era of the Moody Blues can do no wrong in my mind.  Up until they're hiatus after Seventh Sojourn that is, which they returned from as an incredibly generic pop band.

Zappa is another good mention, I've never heard anything from him I didn't like.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:03
No band falls into this category for me.

Even Camel, IQ, Genesis, Mostly Autumn; they've all done brilliant albums most of the time, but a small minority of stuff has been substandard.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:03
KC & FZ

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:04

Don't you have some inherently flawed grindcore and other such modern foolishness to play with?

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 16:14

Like I said in my post, it depends on how strict you are being, if a band in general has not put out what I'd call "crap", I listed them because it's more interesting than saying, "Every band ever has played a bad note therefore this thread is useless"... Voyage 34 is bland but listenable as background music, so I can forgive them that. TMV is a band that can almost do no right for me, however. :P

Posted By: StrangerByTheMinute
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 18:34
The Jonas Brothers and Katy Perry. 

Posted By: silcir
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 19:55
The Doors.
Alice in Chains.
Soundgarden.
Leonard Cohen.
Chico Buarque.
Van Der Graaf Generator.

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 20:56
LZ , King Crimson , The Soft Machine , Tribal Tech , Vital Information and Hiromi Uehara are the first that come to my mind.

Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 21:48

Had to be said. Thumbs Up

The longer, softer and neutered version might go something like this:

By proffering examples of artists you honestly consider have never vandalised your ears or (here's the clincher it's Can Do No Wrong not Could) and never will produce what you deem aural poo in the future just might leave you open to charges of:

1 - Indiscriminate fanboyism

2 - Being so blinkered you can't even see your rider

3 - Necromancy. To be burned at the stake for using your witchy powers to see into the future (but don't put a bet on runner number 2)

Any band with a discography of say, at least 5 albums has invariably undercooked/overcooked a turkey at one time. It dosen't make them a bad band, it's just the way creativity has peaks and troughs during any musician's career.

BTW I don't think any of the foregoing was the thread starter's intention.

-------------

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 22:20
MY band is the only band that can do no wrong for me. Who knows my taste better than I do, right?

Posted By: Sirsound
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:05
For me:

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Audioslave
Chris Cornell (Besides "Scream")
Alice In Chains (Besides their new album)
Jeff Buckley
Faith No More
NIN
Peter Gabriel (All solo albums, plus every Genesis album he was in)
Queensryche
Roxy Music
Stone Temple Pilots
Tool
King Crimson
Talking Heads

Not a whole lot of prog... but i honestly do enjoy every single album by the above bands except where noted.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:15
I have found Univers Zero and Present to have been consistently very good over the years with their releases.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:28
Originally posted by StrangerByTheMinute StrangerByTheMinute wrote:

The Jonas Brothers and Katy Perry. 

well done

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:30
I agree with Harry and Henry Plainview, no such thing to my knowledge...every band has a turkey or at least a below average release.  

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 01:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Had to be said. Thumbs Up

The longer, softer and neutered version might go something like this:

By proffering examples of artists you honestly consider have never vandalised your ears or (here's the clincher it's Can Do No Wrong not Could) and never will produce what you deem aural poo in the future just might leave you open to charges of:

1 - Indiscriminate fanboyism

2 - Being so blinkered you can't even see your rider

3 - Necromancy. To be burned at the stake for using your witchy powers to see into the future (but don't put a bet on runner number 2)

Any band with a discography of say, at least 5 albums has invariably undercooked/overcooked a turkey at one time. It dosen't make them a bad band, it's just the way creativity has peaks and troughs during any musician's career.

BTW I don't think any of the foregoing was the thread starter's intention.

Fair enough, and well said.

Yet, I think it's the spirit rather than the letter of the thread that matters here.
I assume we can all just take it as given that musicians aren't gods and that they inevitably fail and disappoint as everyone and everything inevitably has to.  Of course no band can actually do no wrong.

But, as Samuel Beckett has it, "Fail again.  Fail better."  So who are the musicians we find ourselves still enamoured of in their fallen moments, whose failures still thrill us?  

For all the fair cautions against fanboyism, we could also approach this by saying, right, given that no band's perfect, who would you be willing to risk saying I think this band is consistently worth listening to, album to album, a band whose work promises a potential of greatness over a career?   

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 03:17
"Fanboyism????"

Gimme a break!

I am definitely NOT a Jethro Tull fanboy. I can see a myriad things that are wrong with the band. I don't particularly like the "back to the Middle Ages", "back to the countryside" spirit of some of their best-known albums, I don't enjoy the way John Evan messed up bits of Beethoven live on stage, I find many of Ian Anderson lyrics terribly vapid, while in the 1980s his balladeering grew more and more narcissistic...

I could give you a hundred things that are wrong with the band. But even if I might skip the occasional track, I still enjoy most of their albums from A to Z.

There are, I fear, no artists with immaculate discographies. (The Hatfields and the Health are exceptions because their careers were so short.)

But you can take your bitterness and PUT it somewhere. Makes you feel like real grown-ups, don't it, just accusing others of something stoopid when they're happily explaining what they really enjoy?

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 03:54
There are several bands from whom I own their entire discography and don't think they've ever done an actually bad album. But there are only two bands I can think of right now who have done only great albums and nothing else. System of a Down and The Mars Volta. And if we count live albums and such into this, it drops TMV off the short list. Scabdates is actually pretty bad. SoaD has no such stains at all.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 05:38
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

"Fanboyism????"

Gimme a break!

I am definitely NOT a Jethro Tull fanboy. I can see a myriad things that are wrong with the band. I don't particularly like the "back to the Middle Ages", "back to the countryside" spirit of some of their best-known albums, I don't enjoy the way John Evan messed up bits of Beethoven live on stage, I find many of Ian Anderson lyrics terribly vapid, while in the 1980s his balladeering grew more and more narcissistic...

I could give you a hundred things that are wrong with the band. But even if I might skip the occasional track, I still enjoy most of their albums from A to Z.

There are, I fear, no artists with immaculate discographies. (The Hatfields and the Health are exceptions because their careers were so short.)

But you can take your bitterness and PUT it somewhere. Makes you feel like real grown-ups, don't it, just accusing others of something stoopid when they're happily explaining what they really enjoy?

That last part seems a bit of an overreaction ? No-ones remotely bitter (not sure where that barb came from ?) and no-one is calling anyone stupid. The only reason some of us have misgivings about some of the responses to date (including yours) is that they are unequivocally an admission that the bands cited can do wrong occasionally. You even make reference to skipping some tracks by JT entirely !
Therefore, it might be an indication that the original post has been misinterpreted ? What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.

-------------

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:17
Kayo Dot is the only band I know in which every single thing they do I consider brilliant in some way!

That goes for everything Toby Driver has done so far...

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: Marcin
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:31
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Esbjörn Svensson Trio.

They scaled up to masterliness with each work (or maybe starting after the early period), nevertheless I can definitely think of them as the spotless of all the bands I love.

side-note: there is Esbjorn's Layers Of Night (with Nils Landgren) that's shockingly irregular, but that's not Trio accountable.

agree! I have all their discography and there is no week album at all...and when we are talking about contemporary jazz I have to mention great trumpeter Tomasz Stanko- many different projects, huge discography and I have enjoyed them all!

-------------

Posted By: gabby56
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:52
Guys, you have forgotten Van Der Graaf Generator. Every album is a masterpiece. There is no bad album there.

-------------
Smile, you don't have much to live

Posted By: S a t o r i
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 08:20
R U S H
Period!

Posted By: bluegecko
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 09:50
For me, I can t think of many bands that have over 5 studio album, that I have all their CD to know them fairly well and that have no bad album.
The only band fitting this criteria for me is Arena.

-------------
BlueGecko

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 11:04

What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.

Two points.

1. I don't want to be accused of "rampant fanboyism" simply because (to my own surprise!) I'll gladly listen to most of a certain band's discography. All I wanted to say is that it sounds immature if people are all too ready to label enthusiastic listeners as "fanboys". (Where does this ugly word come from, actually? I'd never heard or seen it until I bumped into Progarchives. Do British teens use it, or is it mainly American?) I personally listen to a wide variety of artists, in many different genres. And just for the record, I'm 49.

2. You may be right I didn't read the original post carefully enough. Where I differ from vibrationbaby, I guess, is that I tend to use my fast forward button freely... But I mainly wanted to confirm it's strange that, with certain bands, you keep listening to large swathes of their discography and they don't get on your nerves. For me, it's the same kind of experience as with Mozart or Haydn (not that I want to insinuate the music is on the same level): the repertoire is huge, and there's joy in nearly everything the artists have to offer. I thought this in itself was a wonderful idea for a thread! So thank you, vibrationbaby.

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:10
Thank Rush.

I don't think there's any band that is without flaw including Jethro Tull. Of course the  probablility for a dud increases with a band's output ( Tull managed to atone for the not-so-great A album with the subsequent Braodsword album. I even drag A out and listen to it from time to time. Really.  I was just watching some Rush on youtube and had a rare Rush attack and watched a bunch of their videos because I had time and sort of  could relate to all the Rush fanatics that are here because of my penchant for Tull and other bands such as GG, KC, Guru Guru, Grobschnitt etc etc. I guess that could go for Mariah Carey fanatics too. To each their own. ( Even though anyone who is a Mariah Carey fanatic should seek out the best medical help that is available to them). 

-------------

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:24
Campo Di Marte (they have only one studio album and one live)

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:30
Badger. 

-------------

Posted By: Evan
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 14:47
Steely Dan and Donald Fagen for me.  Such perfectionists and it shows!  When I'm working, running, sleeping, etc I just put all their albums together on shuffle and when each track comes on its a pleasant surprise!

Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.

Two points.

1. I don't want to be accused of "rampant fanboyism" simply because (to my own surprise!) I'll gladly listen to most of a certain band's discography. All I wanted to say is that it sounds immature if people are all too ready to label enthusiastic listeners as "fanboys". (Where does this ugly word come from, actually? I'd never heard or seen it until I bumped into Progarchives. Do British teens use it, or is it mainly American?) I personally listen to a wide variety of artists, in many different genres. And just for the record, I'm 49.

2. You may be right I didn't read the original post carefully enough. Where I differ from vibrationbaby, I guess, is that I tend to use my fast forward button freely... But I mainly wanted to confirm it's strange that, with certain bands, you keep listening to large swathes of their discography and they don't get on your nerves. For me, it's the same kind of experience as with Mozart or Haydn (not that I want to insinuate the music is on the same level): the repertoire is huge, and there's joy in nearly everything the artists have to offer. I thought this in itself was a wonderful idea for a thread! So thank you, vibrationbaby.

1 - Fair enough, 'fanboy' cannot be directed at someone who is clearly a discerning listener

2 - Not an interpretation of the OP I would share, but a valid one nevertheless

3 - I have no idea where the loathsome 'fb' expression originated but I suspect it's cradle was the internet.

-------------

Posted By: Lord Krodius
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 18:46
Dream Theater, without a doubt. I consider everything I've heard from them (which is just about everything) to be quality music, even the widely-criticized Falling Into Infinity.

-------------
"Somewhere, like a scene from a memory, there's a picture worth a thousand words..."

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 19:13
The Mars Volta
Russian Circles
Rush
Tool
ISIS
Sigur Ros
Porcupine Tree

Posted By: chemebien
Date Posted: December 06 2009 at 19:36
RUSH