URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63544
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 18:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: An Odyssey Through Québécois' Progressive Music
Posted By: Tsevir Leirbag
Subject: An Odyssey Through Québécois' Progressive Music
Date Posted: December 13 2009 at 18:33
Ladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the Odyssey through Québécois' progressive (and related) music! With this blog, I will try to introduce you to some well-known and obscure Québécois bands. Maybe you will already know some of them, maybe not. I'll try to make my first presentation during this week.
Also, feel free to discuss and comment if you want. Smile
To begin, I'd just like to link that other thread I've started some time ago (five months). I think it can also be a helpfull one!
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60397 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60397

Gabriel

-------------
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Replies:
Posted By: Luca Pacchiarini
Date Posted: December 13 2009 at 18:48
Thank you. it's nice to have a guide in this journey ;)

I haven't explored that scene very deeply, I only listened to Harmonium, Et Cetera and Pollen... The latter two didn't impress me much, but I probably have to listen to them a couple of times more...

By the way, is there any quebecoise band of the 70's who wasn't influenced by Gentle Giant? :D

Date Posted: December 13 2009 at 20:37
Hi Luca,

Harmonium is probably the most well-known Québecois band, and an excellent one. I'm glad you enjoyed it, because it is a good band to start with. Et Cetera and Pollen are, in my opinion, both great bands, though I can understand why one can not be impressed. There are a lot of bands from Québec who are/were not influenced by Gentle Giant, by the way Wink Hope you'll find tons of bands you will appreciate.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 02:55
Please don't forget my favourite Québécois outfit SLOCHE.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1002 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1002

Wink

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 04:31
[QUOTE=DamoXt7942]Please don't forget my favourite Québécois outfit SLOCHE.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1002 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1002

Wink
[/QUOTEClapDamo,I own J'un oeil,it's simply smoking progressive fusion.VEBB is nice too,Harmonium is really interesting(I will try and find L'Heptade).Procreation by Morse Code is great. 

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 19:00
Harmonium's L'heptade is as good as Si on avait... The only thing is that nobody knows it.
I just finished writing Péloquin-Sauvageau's bio for their inclusion on PA under the Psychedelic subgenre. I sent it to Hugues "Sean Trane" Chantraine and it will be added soon! Thumbs Up
Also, Damo, Sloche is indeed an excellent band, particularly the album Stadaconé

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: tobytanzer
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 21:19
What ever happenned to Maneige?
They were my favourite band from Quebec.
How about Syrinx? Were they not from Montreal?
They did the theme music in 1969 for a CBC tv show called "Here Comes the Seventies"
I loaned my Syrinz LP to a friend who dissappeared. One of my only regrets in life. Cannot find it now anywhere.
BTW merci beaucoup pour c'est blog.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 21:22
ExCubus

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 21:37
VOIVOD !

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 21:42
^ hell yeah

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 03:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

ExCubus
Clap

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Posted By: yes0genesis
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 04:54
Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

-------------
"To be proven WRONG should be CELEBRATED-- for it is elevating someone to a new level of UNDERSTANDING, furthering AWARENESS."

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:46
Of course, I'll start with the most popular one (I think so...) : Harmonium 

Harmonium biography (from this website)
This Quebec-based Progressive rock band, who sang in French, has a very apt name in HARMONIUM. The core was a folk trio formed by guitarists Serge FIORI and Michel NORMANDEAU, and bassist Louis VALOIS. Their career was short (five years) and they released three studio albums in the mid-Seventies and a posthumous live album. They started off as a jazzy and typically French folk trio but began to delve into more progressive material on their brilliant second album, "Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison" ("If We Needed a Fifth Season"). They are regarded as one of the finest exponents (along with POLLEN and MANEIGE) of the "Golden Era of Quebec Progressive Music" Scene.

"Harmonium" is a "folky" album, but it contains progressive elements too. By their 2nd album, they were very much a cross between a symphonic rock band and a folk band; an interesting combination which you can hear most clearly on the 20-minute "Histoire Sans Paroles". Overall, a perfect album to start your French Canadian prog collection. With "L'Heptade", they reached their symphonic/progressive zenith. In addition to the now increasingly large band, classical instruments and mellotron are used throughout. This elegant double album is a testament to the potential of the genre. Both are really satisfying; if you are a confirmed proggy-prog band head,to begin with. "Harmonium en tournée" is an excellent live version of their conceptual work "L'Heptade". Fans of brave musical experiments and elegant songwriting could not be disappointed by HARMONIUM...!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I'll add my opinion. It is really an excellent band. It is classed in Symphonic Prog, though it's more of a Folk-Prog one (except for their self-titled album).

My reviews:
Harmonium Harmonium album cover
4 stars Certainement pas un album parmi tant d'autres! (Certainly not an album among so many others)

This is Harmonium's first album. So, I tell you, they didn't reach their peak then. But don not misunderstand me, it is a great album.

I have to say that it is NOT symphonic prog, it is folk prog. This album is particular because it contains the two Harmonium's biggest hits: Pour un instant and Un musicien parmi tant d'autres. They're really good songs, but they're undoubtly not as good as Harmonium, Aujourd'hui, je dis bonjour à la vie and De la chambre au salon. It is also particular because it is really obscured by Si on avait... and L'heptade. Si on avait... on Prog Archives and L'heptade, in Québec, which is considered as their best here.

Don't miss this album just because of this. If you like Harmonium's folk song, you'll adore this album!

Harmonium Si On Avait Besoin DUne Cinquième Saison album cover
5 stars Évidemment, nous avons besoin de cette cinquième saison! (Undoubtedly, we need this fifth season)

This is THE best album from Québec (probably even of Canada), you can be sure of that! It contains Harmonium's best song, which is Histoires sans paroles. It is so beautiful, there's no word to describe it. It's the same for Depuis l'automne and En pleine face. They're both fabulous. Vert is at least very good too, if not great.

Dixie is very "happy". It's not very prog, it's more of a dixieland song, but it's still good, and in will make you feel good, for sure.

I tell you, this is a MASTERPIECE, you won't be disappointed with this one. Pure greatness.

Harmonium LHeptade album cover
5 stars Comme un fou, tout est si clair. C'est un album magnifique. (Like a madman, everything is clear. This is a beautiful album).

This album is in fact a double-album. It contains four great mini-epics, and four other songs. They're ALL good. Especially Comme un fou and Chanson Noire. This is definitely great symphonic prog from Québec.

I feel a kind of pride for this album. It is not as good as Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison but it is still my second favourite release from this band (which is one of my favourites), though it is so good that I think it deserves a five stars too. If you liked Si on avait... and you're looking for another great album, go for this one

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll present another another soon. I hope you learned something Tongue
Your homework (if you don't already know this band): The next albums you buy are their albums.
Your homework (if you know Harmonium already): Do yourself a favor, listen to some good music from Québec!

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 07:11
This cd will become a classic and important release to the quebecois progressive music scene.Clap

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 11:57
What about Octobre? Always overlooked. Pierre Flynn was like some sort of lounge lizard freak romantic. 

That live album from '78 was one of the best live albums recorded by any Québec band in the 70s. I'm not a big fan of the more recent stuff though with the exception of Spaced Out. These guys play the farthest out fusion since the MO. Duh I guess that's why they call themselves Spaced Out. I was a big fan of UZEB back in the seventies and eighties and when I came across these guys by accident in a music store my jaw dropped. 

-------------

Posted By: Gooner
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 20:13
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=255801 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=255801

Quebec prog.rock classic.  In fact, this is my favourite prog.rock album from the decade 2000-2009.  It's incredible and it gets better each time you listen to it.  More people need to hear this.  Over time, I think this will make the top 100 on progarchives.com if given a chance.

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 02:34

This is a fine work ypou started my friend!...but I would prefer some historical info about unknown bands from which many of them also aren't listed here such as SOLSTICE,L'ORIENT D'O,OFFENBACH,NEBU,LE MATCHLES CHAMPIGNONS etc...

The http://www.progquebec.com/ - http://www.progquebec.com/  site lacks in many bands' info and I would like to see some of these bands listed here...

As for my fave band from Quebec I would vote for MANEIGE and POLLEN...awesome music!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 06:38
No one's mentioned Talisma?  Unless I am mistaken they qualify.  If they don't they're still really good.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 17:57
Originally posted by psarros psarros wrote:

This is a fine work ypou started my friend!...but I would prefer some historical info about unknown bands from which many of them also aren't listed here such as SOLSTICE,L'ORIENT D'O,OFFENBACH,NEBU,LE MATCHLES CHAMPIGNONS etc...

The http://www.progquebec.com/ - http://www.progquebec.com/  site lacks in many bands' info and I would like to see some of these bands listed here...

As for my fave band from Quebec I would vote for MANEIGE and POLLEN...awesome music!

Well, my friend, I'm presently writing a bio for Offenbach and they might be added here soon Smile
I think le Match is already listed here, isn't it?
As for l'Orient d'Ô, Solstice and Nebu, they're all great. Maneige is also one of my favorites.
I'll try to present them all but I have lots of bands to do also.

Some exemple that I will present soon:

- Maneige
- Conventum
- Morse Code
- Miriodor
- Octobre

They're the ones that are coming soon (as I can), I guess!

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 10:25
I think Offenbach were shot down quite a while ago. Can't really see them fitting in ici. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 14:49
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think Offenbach were shot down quite a while ago. Can't really see them fitting in ici. 

They made only one progressive album, but a very good one!

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 15:43
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

They made only one progressive album, but a very good one!

Saint-Chrone de Neant! ClapExcellent stuff,worth adding in every prog fan's collection!

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 17:13

Well, it was discussed with Hugues, and I personally hope they'll be added. He told me to be ready to write their bio Smile

Saint-Chrome de Néant is an excellent progressive album. Bulldozer also has its proggy moments!

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: The Rock
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 22:50
My cup of tea!

Offenbach,at least in their original icarnation(1970-77) would definately fit on PA.A part from the great ''St-Chrone de néant'' album they did record many prog oriented songs on each of their early albums; Kadryll,Bulldozer,Marilyn,Reve a Lachute,Ether,Edgar...

Solstice were a good fusion-Jazzrock band in the Maneige tradition and should be here to.

L'orient d'O were a sympho prog band whose album should please Camel,Focus and Mona Lisa fans.

-------------
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"

Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 23:06
Nébu were more on the jazz side of things but then again should fit on PA 's broad definition of prog.

Le Match are here,thanks to Hughes and a CD-r I sent him!Wink

Champignons should be here if they aren't already.They were a loose psych-prog drug induced type band much the same way some early Kraut bands were;Guru Guru,Amon Duul 2,Ash Ra Tempel,even some early Gong,Hawkwind,ect...The psych-space tag would fit like a glove.

Other bands who would fit;

Demesure for Jazz-rock Fusion.

June Wallack prog-folk.Her album was recorded with memebers of VEBB.

Concept;They would fit the psych-space much the same way Champignons would.These guys were crazy!
Their music is wild,psych,far out,lo-fi,cosmic....and drug influenced to!

Eclipse;Their first album is almost like a moog clinic.No less!Two keys players who brings the band in a Pink Floyd /Pulsar vein,that is absolutely breathtaking!Cosmic,etheral,astral....Those who think ALL Quebec bands were Gentle Giant influenced,think twice!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2009 at 23:49
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Nébu were more on the jazz side of things but then again should fit on PA 's broad definition of prog.

Champignons should be here if they aren't already.They were a loose psych-prog drug induced type band much the same way some early Kraut bands were;Guru Guru,Amon Duul 2,Ash Ra Tempel,even some early Gong,Hawkwind,ect...The psych-space tag would fit like a glove.

Concept;They would fit the psych-space much the same way Champignons would.These guys were crazy!

Eclipse;Their first album is almost like a moog clinic.No less!Two keys players who brings the band in a Pink Floyd /Pulsar vein,that is absolutely breathtaking!Cosmic,etheral,astral....Those who think ALL Quebec bands were Gentle Giant influenced,think twice!Wink

I wrote Wallack's bio Smile

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 10:00

I've suggested Eclipse a few times to various genres, but nothing has transpired so far. Mind you , I never pushed further. But yes, they definitely deserve to be here. I'd do a seearch, but the word eclipse occurs rather often, eh

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 11:26
Guy Nadon Whoops ! Jazz.

-------------

Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 11:47
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I've suggested Eclipse a few times to various genres, but nothing has transpired so far. Mind you , I never pushed further. But yes, they definitely deserve to be here. I'd do a seearch, but the word eclipse occurs rather often, eh
The fact that their album was not release on CD dosent help ,ie;they are almost anonymus in Québec,imagine the rest of the world!
Their second album was total about face.Boring dance beats and disco hop.Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: December 25 2009 at 15:04
I'd like to introduce you to another band, a more obscure one this time. I also simultaneously suggested it for inclusion. It's band band named Torngat 

Torngat is a Post Rock band from Québec, Canada formed in 2001 in Montréal. It's an instrumental band, they released two albums, You Could Be and La petite Nicole.
Members:

- Pietro Amato / French horn, percussions, melodeon
- Mathieu Charbonneau / Keyboards, percussions, melodeon
- Julien Poissant / Drums, keyboard, trumpet, melodeon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting fact : Pietro Amato is an ex-member of Arcade Fire. He is also a member of Bell Orchestre, a band that is already here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official website: http://torngat.ca/news/ - http://torngat.ca/news/
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/torngat - http://www.myspace.com/torngat

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 26 2009 at 17:57
A couple of Quebec albums I like muchly are Franck Dervieux's Dimension M from 1972 (he was in Contraction and I see this is listed under Contraction in PA -- in Crossover.  It's a fine album)

http://www.myspace.com/franckdervieuxquprog - http://www.myspace.com/franckdervieuxquprog

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nXL1xrjzwNw/RfC_zLqc53I/AAAAAAAAANA/P0xSL2wNzyA/s1600-h/dervieux-front+copy.JPG">

And Lewis Furey's self-titled from 1975. http://www.myspace.com/lewisfurey - http://www.myspace.com/lewisfurey

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: December 26 2009 at 19:20

I'd like to introduce you to a third band from Québec : Fiori-Séguin, which will be added soon.

Fiori-Séguin is a band that made only one album in 1978 called Deux-cent nuits à l’heure (Two-hundred nights per hour). Serge Fiori was Harmonium’s singer and was really well-known in Québec. Richard Séguin, of Les Séguin, was then a folk singer with progressive elements (he is now only a folk/traditional singer). Fiori and Séguin met when during the recording of a Gilles Valiquette album in 1976. Richard Séguin also appeared in Harmonium’s last album, L’heptade, where he did backing vocals.

Both Serge Fiori and Richard Séguin wanted to combine creativity, progressiveness and a more balladeer side. They achieved well with Deux-cent nuits à l’heure, which was a big commercial success. This band should appeal to those who love Harmonium and are looking for another similar band, since most of the members that were present in Harmonium’s L’heptade are also on this album.

Biography written by Gabriel Rivest (Tsevir Leirbag)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: December 26 2009 at 19:36
^They're really interesting. The second video sounds very Frank Zappa-ish to me!

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 16:07
Morse Code is like a cross between Genesis and Ange, yet not derivative because there's still remnants of their early psychedelic period and bits of hard rock.

Morse Code - "Le Marche Des Hommes" is their "Trespass/Nursery Cryme"
Morse Code - "Procreation" is their "Foxtrot/Selling England By The Pound"
Morse Code - "Trick Of The Tail/Wind & Wuthering"

...essentially a trilogy.  Great Quebecois prog.  One of the best.

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 16:09
Morse Code - "Trick Of The Tail/Wind & Wuthering"

...was referring to their album "Je Suis Le Temps"

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:03
And I would assume that their first album ''Morse Code Transmisson'' is their ''From Genesis to Revelation''Wink

But then what would be their second MCT II ???Question

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:26

And I would assume that their first album ''Morse Code Transmisson'' is their ''From Genesis to Revelation''Wink

Tongue Sorry, wrong...
These albums are much psych, and they're sung in English.
They're o.k., but you'd be more impressed with La marche des hommes, their masterpiece in my opinion

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:15
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

Tongue Sorry, wrong...
They're o.k., but you'd be more impressed with La marche des hommes, their masterpiece in my opinion
Je ne crois pas que tu aies saisis le sens de ma réplique.

En comparant les albums classique de Genesis avec ceux de Morse Code,je n'ai fait qu'établire un parallèle entre le premier Genesis(from Genesis to Revelation) et le premier Morse Code.

Dans les deux cas on a affaire a deux jeunes groupes qui s font les dents et dont le premier album allait grandement differer de leurs oeuvres plus matures.

Je connais la dscographie de ces groupes comme le fond de ma poche.

Bonjour.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:27

Tongue Sorry, wrong...
Je ne crois pas que tu aies saisis le sens de ma réplique.

En comparant les albums classique de Genesis avec ceux de Morse Code,je n'ai fait qu'établire un parallèle entre le premier Genesis(from Genesis to Revelation) et le premier Morse Code.

Dans les deux cas on a affaire a deux jeunes groupes qui s font les dents et dont le premier album allait grandement differer de leurs oeuvres plus matures.

Bonjour.Smile

Je ne voulais pas paraître offensant, j'espère que je ne l'ai pas été, d'ailleurs. Je ne doute pas de tes connaissances en la matière, en effet, j'avais seulement mal compris la réplique. Smile

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:43

[QUOTE=Tsevir Leirbag][QUOTE=The Rock]

Bonjour.Smile

lol! LOL

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 14:57
Everyone is talking in French just to make sure that they understand each otherLOL What everyone thinks of Quebec bands that sings in English like Hamadryad, Visible Wind and others...?

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 15:16

Everyone is talking in French just to make sure that they understand each otherLOL What everyone thinks of Quebec bands that sings in English like Hamadryad, Visible Wind and others...?
I wanted to make sure he understands me indeed,as he didn't get the sense of my original reply.

As for Hamadryad and Visible Wind well,all I got to say is that I just love them.And lets not forget Man Made who released a great jazz-rock fusion album in the early 70's.The album's sleeve has to be the sleaziest I have ever seen!

And Milkweed,a good sympho prog band.And Mashmakhan who would fit in as proto prog.
And Sounds of Ynspiration who'd fit that category well to.

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 15:32

I do prefer when they sing in French, honestly. Because of the cultural meaning of it.
I don't mind if they sing in English, but only if they're Anglo-Québécois.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 16:00

I do prefer when they sing in French, honestly. Because of the cultural meaning of it.
I don't mind if they sing in English, but only if they're Anglo-Québécois.

Yes, but it takes a lot of courage or dedication to sing in French if you want live with your music. But it doesn't mean in the other hand that if you sing in English, your going to be successful. Music is a though business even more today. I have a lot of catching up to do with you on your knowledge of Quebec prog music. Each day i hear a new band's name from Quebec.

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 12:46
The Vannelli Brothers from Montreal put out some progressive records under "Gino Vannelli".  Save the hits like "People Got ta Move", "Wheels Of Life", "I Just Wanna Stop", Gino's brother Joe did some neat synth stuff which is right up there with best of the jazz rock fusion bands in the '70s.  I don't plan on seeing Gino Vannelli in the progarchives.com listing, though. Tongue

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by Gooner Gooner wrote:

The Vannelli Brothers from Montreal put out some progressive records under "Gino Vannelli".  Save the hits like "People Got ta Move", "Wheels Of Life", "I Just Wanna Stop", Gino's brother Joe did some neat synth stuff which is right up there with best of the jazz rock fusion bands in the '70s.  I don't plan on seeing Gino Vannelli in the progarchives.com listing, though. Tongue

What! this a joke!Confused

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 16:35
LOL

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 17:59

I wouldn',t mind seeing him on PA at all...Thumbs Up
Is first six albums are filled with jazz-rock fusion of the highest caliber.Dick Morrissey of IF as well as Snatana's drummer guested on some of his albums.The album Gist of a Gemeni features the side long piece ''War suite''....

I think he's featured on proggnosis.Clap

A lot of stuff went by and skipped the prog radar in the 70's and there were lots in Québec;SOME Jacques Michel,SOME Beau Dommage,Claude Dubois,Man Made,Sinners,Zak,Mashmakhan,Dillinger,Offenbach,Sex(no joke!),Séguin....

All we need to d is open our minds and ....ears!Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 18:17

Is first six albums are filled with jazz-rock fusion of the highest caliber.Dick Morrissey of IF as well as Snatana's drummer guested on some of his albums.The album Gist of a Gemeni features the side long piece ''War suite''....

A lot of stuff went by and skipped the prog radar in the 70's and there were lots in Québec;SOME Jacques Michel,SOME Beau Dommage,Claude Dubois,Man Made,Sinners,Zak,Mashmakhan,Dillinger,Offenbach,Sex(no joke!),Séguin....

I'd never consider Dubois progressive....

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 01 2010 at 22:29

I'd never consider Dubois progressive....
A couple of tracks on his ''Fables d'espace'' are definately of prog nature.The album was produced at Todd Rundgren's Bearsville studios with many of Rundgrens musicians(Utopia).

That's why I said SOME.....not all.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2010 at 11:20
What about Frank Marino man! He play in our schiool man! Frank nieces go to my school man ! Frank sign autographs for kids man! Frank da Jimi Hendrix of K-Bec man!Frank he da man! MAN! Watch Frank on videos man!

http://www.mahoganyrush.com - www.mahoganyrush.com

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2010 at 11:22
Mahogany Rush IV definetely is a prog album.So was is return album(cant remember the title) in 2001.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2010 at 11:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIER5IIIrrc - www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIER5IIIrrc

Very progressive Frank. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2010 at 15:27
I think it's time for three new presentations, now...

Wondeur Brass biography
Wondeur Brass is the first musical (Justine being their second and Les Poules their third) project by Joane Hétu, Diane Labrosse and Danielle Roger. A particularity of this band is that it was composed of nine members, all women. It is probably Hétu / Labrosse / Roger?s most important. Under that name, they recorded three albums and two of them have been re-issued. Parano (never re-issued) in 1982, rAVIr in 1985 and Simoneda, reine des esclaves in 1988. At this period, they had already toured in Europe. Their first time on this other continent was in 1984, at the international congress ?Women & Music? in Paris. They would return to that congress every year until 1990. They also toured in Switzerland, in Germany, in Yougoslavia, in Belgium and in the United Kingdom.
They brought a new vision to the eighties poplar music. Their music conserved a simple, sometimes rudimentary and even almost homemade. They didn?t fear improvisation and experimentation, though.

Samples: http://www.actuellecd.com/en/bio/wondeurbrass_/ - http://www.actuellecd.com/en/bio/wondeurbrass_/
PA Artist page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5119 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5119

------------------------------------------------------------------

Justine biography
Justine is an avant-garde band that was founded in Montréal (Québec), Canada. It is the second musical project of Joane Hétu, Diane Labrosse and Danielle Roger (the first being Wondeur Brass and the third, Les Poules). They recorded two albums in the nineties, (Suite) and Languages fantastiques. At that period, they already toured in Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Yougoslavia and United Kingdom) and in the United States of America with their first band, Wondeur Brass, wich I consider the most important band of the "trilogy".

Samples: http://www.actuellecd.com/fr/bio/justine_/ - http://www.actuellecd.com/fr/bio/justine_/
PA Artist page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5096 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5096

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Les Poules
Les Poules is Joane Hétu, Diane Labrosse and Danielle Roger’s third and last musical project. They have started making music under this name in 1986, with their album Les contes de l’amère loi, after which they were called Wondeur Brass again for another album, and Justine for two albums in the nineties. In 2002, they started making music again with a new album named Prairie orange and another album in 2008, Phénix.

Samples: http://www.actuellecd.com/en/bio/poules_le/discog/ - http://www.actuellecd.com/en/bio/poules_le/discog/
PA Artist page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5123 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5123

------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting fact: Danielle Roger, of these three bands, made some albums with Fred Frith of Henry Cow.

--------------------------------------------------------------

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 04 2010 at 08:33
^^^
great stuff Gabriel

I threw in a few reviews to beef it up.....

What! this a joke!Confused

I know this sounds preposterous, but he's got a point...... I can't help but thinking to the commercial Vanelli..... but I know he's got a few prog-related albums....

One idea is to include both brothers' music in the same slot (like for the Bregent brothers)..... so it wouldn't appear as Gino Vanelli.

Mahogany Rush >>> I'm toying with the idea (Hendrix and a lot of psych rock are in, right???)

Still waithing for answers about Offenbach (prog-related), Peloquin Sauvageau (Psych/space said noConfused..... and sent it to RIO/Avant) and Les Champignons(psych)

Nebu , Sex and Av'nir are maybe in the works in the next few months

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: January 04 2010 at 12:29

Believe it or not Gino Vanelli has a degree in composition from McGill University and is also an accomplished jazz drummer. His Dad was a big band singer and his mother sang professionally as well. As much as I like his  jazzy pop songs You Gotta Move, I just Wanna Stop ( even saw him once ! ) I really think we would be clutching at straws to include him here. Really. He is still going with various projects and the last I heard he was living somewhere in Holland. 

But Frank was a god when we were kids. Saw him many times. The Canadian Hendrix. I think if we're going to include Hendrix here then there's really no excuse for not  including Frank. But then again, playing the devil's advocate, I consider many of the additions here questionable including Hendrix so I guess that rules out Frank. Frank is in a world of his own really with his groovin cool music anyway Anyone who's interested, most of his albums can be streamed from  http://www.mahoganyrush.com -  ! 

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 12:12

Kaos moon's 1994 "After the Storm" is one of my faves, as is Daniel Gauthier's "Above the Storm" from 2001.  See a pattern?

Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 14:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Kaos moon's 1994 "After the Storm" is one of my faves, as is Daniel Gauthier's "Above the Storm" from 2001.  See a pattern?

Yes i see the pattern! About Kaos Moon, they made a second cd with shorter songs but very good melodies : "The Circle of Madness". Daniel Gauthier is also very good!

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: January 09 2010 at 20:41
I took advantage of the ProgQuebec.com label offering over the holidays(5 CDs for $100.00...shipping covered) to discover CONVENTUM.  These guys are a treasure...sort of like a pleasant surprise when you discover a lost treasure like PIcchio Dal Pozzo or Von Zamla.  That sort of thing.  Very underrated and well worth checking out.  The album by Contraction was a pleasant surprise as well("La Bourse Ou La Vie")...and L'Orchestre Sympathique"(L'OS).  Great place to sample these artists:

http://www.progquebec.com/artistlist.html - http://www.progquebec.com/artistlist.html

...and if the "holiday special" is still available, take advantage of it because these CDs are generally very expensive in the shops.

Date Posted: January 09 2010 at 20:52

I took advantage of the ProgQuebec.com label offering over the holidays(5 CDs for $100.00...shipping covered) to discover CONVENTUM.  These guys are a treasure...sort of like a pleasant surprise when you discover a lost treasure like PIcchio Dal Pozzo or Von Zamla.  That sort of thing.  Very underrated and well worth checking out.  The album by Contraction was a pleasant surprise as well("La Bourse Ou La Vie")...and L'Orchestre Sympathique"(L'OS).  Great place to sample these artists:

http://www.progquebec.com/artistlist.html - http://www.progquebec.com/artistlist.html

...and if the "holiday special" is still available, take advantage of it because these CDs are generally very expensive in the shops.

Conventum will be my next presentation, they're in my top five favorite bands from Québec.
I know it's in Folk-Prog here but I see it more as Avant, personally.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 09 2010 at 21:25
...yes, "Avant Prog" for sure(re: Conventum).  However, very listeneable.  Not unlike the League Of Crafty Guitarists where Conventum predate them, I think.  Some politically charged lyrics here and there, but nothing preachy.  A neutral francais...nothing you hear at le depaneur. Clown

...a bientot!

Date Posted: January 09 2010 at 23:28

...yes, "Avant Prog" for sure(re: Conventum).  However, very listeneable.  Not unlike the League Of Crafty Guitarists where Conventum predate them, I think.  Some politically charged lyrics here and there, but nothing preachy.  A neutral francais...nothing you hear at le depaneur. Clown

...a bientot!

If you like them, I'd definitely suggest you Rouge Ciel and Miriodor.
If you like those then go with Interférence Sardines, but start with the other two, they're better.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 10 2010 at 21:57
maybe Heavy Prog needs to listen to the early Mahogany Rush albums , up to & including Tales. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2010 at 21:59
Or maybe Psych / Space. Frank loved to use flanger / phaser / chorus and any other effect pedal on most songs 

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2010 at 09:25
Frank still really trips out with all kinds of spacecd out guitar effects and his shows are still f**king loud!!!  Motorhead eat your heart out !!! Not only his early stuff but Eye Of The Storm could even be considered here.
http://%20WWW.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMD0kQfBw0 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMD0kQfBw0 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMD0kQfBw0  

-------------

Posted By: Norm Cash
Date Posted: January 12 2010 at 06:12
Another album in a similar style to Harmonium (and one that I personally enjoy very much) is Au-dela des ombres by Ere G (alias multi-instrumentalist Robin Gaudreault)

It was released in 2002, and I've been desperate for a follow-up ever since!

-------------

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"

Posted By: LeStaf
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 08:54
Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

I haven't explored that scene very deeply, I only listened to Harmonium, Et Cetera and Pollen... The latter two didn't impress me much, but I probably have to listen to them a couple of times more...

By the way, is there any quebecoise band of the 70's who wasn't influenced by Gentle Giant? :D

Québec Prog Bands not influenced by GG?  Garolou (first album was called Lougarou), Aquarelle, Sloche, Opus5, Éclipse, Dionne & Brégent, Contraction, Morse Code, Octobre, Uzeb (rather Jazz-Rock fusion, though), and I'm quite sure I'm forgetting many others.

-------------
LeStaff

Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 12:48
Originally posted by LeStaf LeStaf wrote:

Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

Québec Prog Bands not influenced by GG?  Garolou (first album was called Lougarou), Aquarelle, Sloche, Opus5, Éclipse, Dionne & Brégent, Contraction, Morse Code, Octobre, Uzeb (rather Jazz-Rock fusion, though), and I'm quite sure I'm forgetting many others.

Sloche might have been influenced by GG.

But many bands were'nt;Champignons,Ungava,Av'nir,Agharta,W.D. Fisher,early Offenbach,Lagagnamo,Nebu,Concept,Concert,Demesure....

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2010 at 07:32
MASHMAKHAN -

I'm working on the bio

What genre do you think???

proto prog

or

psych/space

others??

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 20 2010 at 17:21
I'd say Psych.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 04:58
that would be my guess too.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 14:44
Mashmakhan? Funky. Sort of same category as Crowbar ( Oh What a Feeling What a Rush). I met Kelly Jay once when he was doing a gig in a bar in Banff, Alberta. The guy has literally made a living off that song!

I'm going to the library tonight. I`ll see what I can dig up on Mashmakhan. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2010 at 16:22
Do you think it would be weird to suggest Charlebois for Proto-Prog. I mean, he had a major influence on Québécois' progressive music. Albums like Québec Love, Robert Charlebois et Louise Forestier, Fu Man Chu, et cetera.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:04
Charlebois? C'mon.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 01:20
I wasn't joking. Think about it, hasn't he influenced a lot of progressive artists from Québec?

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 13:40
like who? I think he would be wondering himself what bearing he had on Québec's artrock rennaissance if he saw his name pop up here.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 17:18

I wasn't joking. Think about it, hasn't he influenced a lot of progressive artists from Québec?
He had an inestimùable influence over Quebec's ciltural evolition, but not really over prog

I don't think it would be wise to have him here.

A bit as if you had Dylan, Stones and Chuck Berry as proto-prog>>> no real object

Offenbach is on the way to getting acceoptance as prog-related.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 19:49

How about W.D Fisher?

I tried to get them in awhile back but never got a response.They were THE first prog band to release a record in Québec.It came out in 71.They played a psych tinged early prog a la Beggars Opera,Rare Bird,pre-Wakeman Yes,Cressida,Gracious,ect....they sang in english.

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 14:48
I tghink WD Fisher has a case fdor inclusion.

I remember effectively you proposing them in a list of four or five and three of them being accepted.

surely they'll get a better chance this time

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 15:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He had an inestimùable influence over Quebec's ciltural evolition, but not really over prog

I don't think it would be wise to have him here.

A bit as if you had Dylan, Stones and Chuck Berry as proto-prog>>> no real object

Offenbach is on the way to getting acceoptance as prog-related.

Yeah, you're right.
I'll handle Offenbach's bio Smile

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 21:29
Les Granules have been added to the archives under the RIO/Avant section.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: gentlegraaf
Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 18:28
Ever heard of "Peloquin Le Francois" my friend use to have this album, can't find it anywhere, great Quebec Prog music !

Posted By: gentlegraaf
Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 18:41
Correction, "Peloquin Sauvageau with Le Francois" , "Vos Voisins" another awesome Quebec band of the early 70s...

Posted By: Procol Harum Machine
Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 18:48
Besides Octoberre and Aut'chose, I don't know musch about this scene. I  plan on checking it out soon. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 20:00
Originally posted by gentlegraaf gentlegraaf wrote:

Correction, "Peloquin Sauvageau with Le Francois" , "Vos Voisins" another awesome Quebec band of the early 70s...

Yeah... Péloquin-Sauvageau. They'll be added on PA in the next week, my biography is ready.
They just need to be accepted by the Avant team or the Psych team.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 28 2010 at 02:50

Originally posted by gentlegraaf gentlegraaf wrote:

Yeah... Péloquin-Sauvageau. They'll be added on PA in the next week, my biography is ready.
They just need to be accepted by the Avant team or the Psych team.
I justgot clearance from the Psych team to add them

(Thanks to EetuClap)

So this can be done soon.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 28 2010 at 21:21
Biography sent to Eetu.
Torngat has been added to the archives in Post-Rock

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 18:41
Péloquin-Sauvageau is now on the archives.
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5216 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5216

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 01:41

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5216 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5216
Bravo!!!Clap

...and now how about Éternité wich was Péloquin's next project?A lot more symphonic than Péloqui-Sauvageau.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 05:54

Bravo!!!Clap

...and now how about Éternité wich was Péloquin's next project?A lot more symphonic than Péloqui-Sauvageau.
Why don't we put Eternité in the same  in the same entry, then????

a bit like i've done with contraction???

Surely Gabriel can modify his bio.....Wink

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 06:43

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=255801 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=255801

Quebec prog.rock classic.  In fact, this is my favourite prog.rock album from the decade 2000-2009.  It's incredible and it gets better each time you listen to it.  More people need to hear this.  Over time, I think this will make the top 100 on progarchives.com if given a chance.
Maybe they will have a better chance to make the top 100 with the making of the english version of this cd who is on the way as we speak...

-------------

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 12:34

Bravo!!!Clap

Even with Contraction's solo projects, I think we should do another entry. I wouldn't mind writing a bio for Éternité, but should should add them in another entry. And they're not Psych, like Péloquin-Sauvageau is.
And it's not really a problem to open a page for them. We've done it with Wondeur Brass/Justine/Les Poules and with Sammla Mammas Manna/Zamla Mammaz Manna/Von Zamla.
Right now, I'm writing Dagmar Krause's biography but after that I could start working on Éternité.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 12:39

Bravo!!!Clap

Even with Contraction's solo projects, I think we should do another entry. I wouldn't mind writing a bio for Éternité, but should should add them in another entry. And they're not Psych, like Péloquin-Sauvageau is.
And it's not really a problem to open a page for them. We've done it with Wondeur Brass/Justine/Les Poules and with Sammla Mammas Manna/Zamla Mammaz Manna/Von Zamla.
Right now, I'm writing Dagmar Krause's biography but after that I could start working on Éternité.
I agree,Yves Laferriere and Franck Dervieux are not Contraction even if closely related.
Same with Éternité who are different entity.

BTW,thanks for those entries.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 13:05

I agree,Yves Laferriere and Franck Dervieux are not Contraction even if closely related.
Same with Éternité who are different entity.

BTW,thanks for those entries.

Well, I'm doing the best I can to get Québécois bands included. Smile

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 00:31
Serge Locat should be here too.His only album is a nice complement to Harmonium's, so is Michel Normandeau's ''Jouer''.Both these artists released one album each,both albums would fit PA and of course should please all Harmonium fans who can't get enough of Harmonium's music.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 05:07

Serge Locat should be here too.His only album is a nice complement to Harmonium's, so is Michel Normandeau's ''Jouer''.Both these artists released one album each,both albums would fit PA and of course should please all Harmonium fans who can't get enough of Harmonium's music.

although I've known of their existence for a longtime , believe it or not, I haven't heard either

Are they really proggish????

-------------------------

For Contraction:  c'est vrai que j'ai utlisé la solution de facilité, mais parfois , j'en ai plein le cul d'attendre des mois et des années pour attendre un OK (voir Péloquin-Sauvageau, justemen, depuis presque un ant) et donc' j'ai rentré tout ce qui fait la partt belle à Contraction dans la page du groupe. De plus ce'là me permet de rentrer des albums ProgQuebec. Quand l'album de Dervieux recevra une réédition propre (ProgQuebec négocie), je pense qu'il faudrat revoir cette situation, par contre

J'avais fait de même avec Maneige et Langlois, mais depuis que Langlois à ressorti de nouveaux albums , je lui ai donné sa place entière

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 07:14

Serge Locas's album is definetely a prog album,full of keyboards,moogs,mellotron,ect...sort of space electronic album similar maybe to Eclipse' first or some Pink Floyd-Tangerine Dream.

Normandeau's is more on the folky side, a bit like the Fiori-Séguin album,and of course some of Harmonium's pastoral attributes.They even reviewd it in Terra Incognita,a Québecois prog magazine.

Both should be here,Locat under space electronic and Normandeau in the folk prog.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 12:44

For Contraction:  c'est vrai que j'ai utlisé la solution de facilité, mais parfois , j'en ai plein le cul d'attendre des mois et des années pour attendre un OK (voir Péloquin-Sauvageau, justemen, depuis presque un ant) et donc' j'ai rentré tout ce qui fait la partt belle à Contraction dans la page du groupe. De plus ce'là me permet de rentrer des albums ProgQuebec. Quand l'album de Dervieux recevra une réédition propre (ProgQuebec négocie), je pense qu'il faudrat revoir cette situation, par contre

J'avais fait de même avec Maneige et Langlois, mais depuis que Langlois à ressorti de nouveaux albums , je lui ai donné sa place entière

I hope I didn't seem rude when I spoke about this. It's true, lately teams are taking a lot of time to clear/reject bands, and of course we don't want to wait a year to see a progressive band/artist being cleared. What I meant is just that if we make the démarche (don't know the english word...), I could do the biography for most of them.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 08:15
^^^^

Well you can for Normandeau. I trust Alain's knowledge enough and I can authorize it right awayEvil Smile

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 16:23
Okay. And what about Offenbach? Tongue

-------------